Black.
    Eye Color
    Orange.
    Build
    5'1" / 110 lb.
    Job
    Misanthropist Druidic Artist.

View Profile
    Varin spent a moment in petrified, wide-eyed silence, his hands clapped to his mouth guiltily and his wings wrapping about his person, as if he could hide himself from his own mistep. If he had realized it might have offended her religious sensibilities, he might not have spoken so rashly. Foot, meet mouth. Mouth, meet foot. And the tears! It was not often that he was witness to such a sorrow, especially not when such emotions were his fault for stirring.

“My apologies,” he told her quietly. “I meant you no offense.”

With a heavy, halting hand, Varin reached over to wipe away the stream of tears glistening on her cheeks. He wasn’t certain it was the right move, but he didn’t know what other gestures were proper for the situation. Aynur shook her head, and when he placed a clawed hand against her cheek. He had expected her to shy away, as he might, but instead, she rose a trembling hand to cup his. Offering it a tight and reassuring squeeze as she tilted her face toward his palm, her lips -- accidentally, or intentionally? -- pressing down against his skin. They quivered with yet more tears. She didn't shy away, and so neither did the skittish Drakari. Even Arie went quiet.

“Your hands are filled with calm,” she murmured into his scaled skin.

A shiver worked its way down Varin’s spine. Did she hold the power to know the most exact way to inflict flustered reactions as well as to heal wounds? “That is… good. I am glad.” He allowed her to keep hold of his hand. Her touch was… soft. Not oily, but it had give. Human skin was eerily squishy.

Aynur’s clutched “orb of Alkieh” cast the two in a soft light that flickered steadily as might a candle. It was odd that the orb itself was supposedly a deity -- perhaps it merely held one. Either way, it gave him a strong sense of unease. Arie herself was giving it an uncertain side-eye. Even as she reassured Aynur with her presence, she kept her distance from the sacred object. Still, if it was the healer’s deity, he wouldn’t say anything of it; he would rather keep the sobbing to a minimum.

It was likely his devotion to the gods of his own homeland that gave them such feelings anyway. How likely was it that something emitting such pure light was from an unkind being?

Varin cleared his throat and spoke again. “I do not know much of your Alkieh. But, I doubt he would hold it against you if you were to take a single night to enjoy something fine. After all, it is at a stranger’s behest; you are not indulging yourself selfishly. Does it go against his teachings to accept a kindness from another freely given?”
    "I’m funny, so they let me live." - Skippy’s List

The Wiki Matriarch. Always free to roleplay! I also play all these guys, so take a look at them too!

Varin's Themesong!

EXP: 2,895, Level: 2
    Level completed: 30%, EXP required for next level: 2,105
    Level completed: 30%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,105
    GP

Name
    Aynur Ziva
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Ice Blue - Blind
    Build
    158cm 52kg

Aynur let go of his hand and trembling, Varin pulled it away. Aynur gave him a look as though she were curious as to why he trembled so but Varin quickly shoved it under the table, and his free arm took hold of his mug as he took large gulps of tea. Aynur gave him a soft smile. She knew he did such things because he didn't want her to question him further, that much was obvious. So she let him be.

"I guess... it doesn't..." Aynur turned her gaze to the orb, her fingers gently traced it in a loving manner. "As long as I keep it.. him safe, and stay true to my path. It should not matter."

Before the two could continue their conversation, Hortensia interrupted. "Here sweethearts!" She placed two plates on the table, each carrying a poached egg, two slices of thick cut toast and a side of crispy bacon. Aynur glanced down at it, confused. Hortensia quickly picked up on it.

"Ah! Yes. This is usually a breakfast meal, unfortunately the chef who deals with evening meals has left for the night. I always say it doesn't matter what you eat and when, as long as it's in good company and fills your belly." She gave the two a warm smile, looking from Varin to Aynur. "And I see you two are a very fine fit for each other. If you excuse me, I have one last little treat for you both." She turned to Varin and gave him a wink, wiping her hands on her apron before she turned and disappeared back into the kitchen.

Aynur felt somewhat relieved. She was expecting something far more extravagant. Instead, she had something that was easily manageable. That is...except for the bacon. Aynur carefully picked it up with her knife and fork and in a display of horrible balance, tried to place it on Varin's plate. Her brows furrowed in concentration, and her lips curled into a pout as she bit her lower lip. The bacon almost made it to his plate. Almost half of it landed on the linen tablecloth. "A.ah...Sorry...I just... uhm- ah..."

Arie ran over, picked it up, and gingerly set it on his plate for her. As she did this, Varin held his hand to his snout. He made an odd, breathy sound that could only be suppressed laughter. "No need for apologies," he coughed out. "You mentioned not eating meat earlier, did you not? Admittedly, I like it quite a bit myself." He pushed it around his plate sheepishly. "It might be from years of deprivation. Or, perhaps it is innate. Dragons, as creatures, are normally carnivorous."

Aynur huffed, her cheeks becoming a pale shade of pink from her embarrassment. She was concerned but Varin didn't seem to mind one bit. "I eat meat." She mumbled. "J-just not often and I wasn't sure on..." She glanced at his plate. "That. It looks oily, I'm used to things that are dried and uh-" To avoid further embarrassment she picked up a piece of toast and ate the entire slice in four large bites. Filling her cheeks wide.

Varin stifled another laugh as he in turn started picking at his own plate. The two ate in near silence. Aside from Aynur being incredibly delighted at how the yolk ran out the egg white when she sliced into it with her fork.

Nearing the end of their first course, Varin piped up again. "Where will you go after this? Do you have a destination in mind?"

Aynur shook her head. "No. I do not. I travel, and sing, and see the world. Why do you ask?"

Varin seemed to shuffle awkwardly in his seat, he looked to Arie who was not much help, the tiny brown bird had a piece of crust between her beak and simply ruffled her feathers back at the man.

"Well, I was wondering if you would like to acc-"

Before he could finish his sentence, Hortensia returned to the table. "I hope you left room for dessert. I whipped up something extra special, for the extra special couple!" She deftly placed one plate in the centre of the table, pilled high with heart shaped pancakes, vanilla stacked upon chocolate stacked upon vanilla each with a layer of strawberries and cream in between them.

She hurriedly collected the empty plates, and replaced their used cutlery with clean utensils. "I hope this is to your liking, call out if you need anything else sweethearts." And with that, she left them on their own.

The bottom of the heart was facing Varin who seemed all the more flustered, something Aynur did not understand. From her point of view, she didn't see a heart.

"Varin..." She asked. "Why is this food shaped like the posterior of a human?"

EXP: 930, Level: 1
    Level completed: 47%, EXP required for next level: 1,070
    Level completed: 47%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,070
    GP

Name
    Varin
    Race
    Drakari.
    Hair Color
    Black.
    Eye Color
    Orange.
    Build
    5'1" / 110 lb.
    Job

View Profile
    At first, the Drakari had been faintly amused by the shaped pancakes. They smelled heavenly. He considered them with a wry half-smile and a chuckle, wondering at what point Hortensia had concluded them to be a couple… and a couple so close for a gesture such as this. The muted lighting, the patter of the rain outside -- this all did have the trappings of a romantic dining experience. Even if she had the wrong idea, she deserved thanks and a bit of extra coin for her effort. Hopefully, Aynur wouldn’t find the flavors, the cream, or the berries; they seemed far removed from what she was accustomed to.

"Varin..." Aynur began, discomfort prickling in her tone.

The artist glanced up, holding his breath in the hopes that this ‘extravagance’ wasn’t too much for her. “Mmm?” he queried uncertainly through a mouthful of pancake, wiping a smudge of cream off his lip with a flick of his tongue. They were rather buttery.

"Why is this food shaped like the posterior of a human?"

Varin’s fork slipped from his fingers as he nearly choked on his bite from the shock of it. That was a much more frightening complaint. Blanched, he searched for a way to explain away her mistaken perspective. Such a comment was the work of a mind either extremely lewd, or innocent -- Varin suspected the latter, which meant a bit of delicacy was required. Delicacy which, for the life of him, he did not possess.

“Ahh- no, no, those are not- they are not as you think they are,” he fumbled, grabbing the plate and spinning it around for her to view correctly. A furious flush had come over the tip of his snout. “See, they are indeed actually a near-universal symbol of, well typically love. The heart, as you know, though one could argue that this symbol is not an anatomically accurate representation of most being’s heart and is in fact shockingly closer to the posterior in appearance- but that is besides the point! These are hearts. A curious choice of decor, but not anything representative of one’s hindquarters. I promise.”

“Oh,” Aynur gasped, relaxing a little. She smiled in relief, pressing a hand to her chest. Yet, her lips were pursed a little, either in lingering disapproval or muted mortification. “My apologies.”

Glad that they had sorted that out, Varin let out a deep breath and picked up his fork again. The ups and downs of this evening were exhausting. He hadn’t been in this much distress since the last time a bounty hunter had caught up to him. “Yes, well, it was an honest mistake. You had the wrong end of the plate. Trust me, if they were of the posterior, I believe I would have be able to tell.”

Aynur was staring at him oddly. Quizzically, in fact. It took him a moment of anxious mental backtracking to work out what slip of the tongue had occurred.

“Not that I observe unclothed humanoid anatomy frequently!” Varin burst out. “I do sketch quite a lot, and some sketch other humanoids in the nude for practice with the particulars of anatomy, but I have not particularly observed such a practice, normally. I mean, I have a very strong grasp of anatomy even so, because I have been at it for years, the drawing I mean, not anything else. I draw many lovely beings, in fact you are quite lovely yourself and perhaps I would do you as we- ahh! Draw, draw you sometime, but…” Every rambling word felt as if he was tumbling deeper down a hole he had dug himself. Which, to be honest, was a very apt way to look at things; he had been the one to order the ‘something special’ pancakes, after all.

With a deep groan, Varin’s head sank into his hands, and then right on through to the polished tabletop. “...You know what? Nevermind. If your healing powers work in reverse, by chance, now may be a good time to conjure an act of mercy upon my head.”

As she had been for the entire conversation before, Arie shrieked laughingly at Varin and nicked another strawberry off of their plate to enjoy for herself.
    Last edited by VarWenn; 06-20-17 at 03:30 PM.

The Wiki Matriarch. Always free to roleplay! I also play all these guys, so take a look at them too!

Varin's Themesong!

GP

Name
    Aynur Ziva
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Ice Blue - Blind
    Build
    158cm 52kg

Varin was acting exceedingly flustered and it had not gone unnoticed by Aynur. Was it her comment? Aynur could understand why such a lewd thing could bother him, she was bothered by it at first until she realised it was nothing more than a heart. Varin didn't have to explain the intricacies of it to her. Aynur wasn't very street smart but she knew that people often decorated things with hearts because it was pleasing to the eye, and it reminded people of positive emotions. It was an unnecessary aesthetic she could support.

"Varin..."

He continued about artwork. Aynur was very curious about this and wanted to see but before she could question it further the Drakari shifted awkwardly and began to backtrack his words. Aynur stared at him curiously. She didn't understand the reason behind it. Was it a faux paux to talk about such things in his culture?

Aynur picked up a fork and carefully reached over to cut into the stack of sickly sweet disks, what did he call them? Pancakes? Arie seemed to like them. The little brown bird had nestled herself deep in the centre of them, her head digging into the creamy and fruity stack. "Uhm..."

Can birds eat such decadence?

Aynur placed the morsel into her mouth. It was...very sweet. She had never tasted anything like it before. Her eyes lit up in mild surprise. "This is....very nice. Don't you think?" She asked him, but her dark haired companion had shrunk further into himself.

She was getting nowhere. Aynur stood and rounded the table till she was by Varin. "Listen." She said softly. Varin had his head pressed firmly to the table, and hadn't noticed she moved, or that she was right beside him. He was mumbling something.

"Foot in mouth Varin. Do not insult the girl... what was I thinking...drawing her? What a stupid thing to say..."

He continued to mumble self depreciating words, most of which Aynur didn't catch, but those that she did made her feel bad. She did not intend for him to become so concerned for her wellbeing. Reaching out Aynur gently placed a hand on either of his scaled shoulders and offered him a tight and reassuring squeeze. "It's alright." Just as quickly as she made the gesture, she pulled away.

Her touch made him stiffen up in surprise at first, his wings fluttering uncertainly. Yet, he didn't draw away. One sheepish eye peered up at her out of the folds of his sleeves. "...is it?" he asked bashfully. "I am not sure it is. So that I do not embarrass them nor myself so with such displays, I suppose I normally do not get involved with others. Yet here we are, I a fool, and you a witness to it."

"I do not think you're being foolish." She paused, "Except maybe the way you are putting yourself down so much." Aynur knelt down, placing a hand upon his knee as she tried to peer into his face. "Besides, I feel your companion is being far more foolish." She gestured toward Arie, who was now practically bathing in the remnants of their dessert, cream dripped off her wings, and a strawberry stuck to her crown like a tiny, comical hat.

Aynur laughed lightly at the scene, "You seem to have plenty of fun, and interesting things happen around you."

"No. It is nothing but trouble."

Aynurs laugh faded into a look of concern. "I don't think so. I like how passionate you are. I would like to see your sketchings, you are not an embarrassment. You and Arie are lovely company and I would be grateful to travel with you for the short time our paths would allow."

GP

Name
    Varin
    Race
    Drakari.
    Hair Color
    Black.
    Eye Color
    Orange.
    Build
    5'1" / 110 lb.
    Job

View Profile
    The girl was too close.

She was too close, and somehow… he was oddly alright with this. A bit warm about the snout, a bit avoidant of her icy keen gaze, yet not particularly upset about the intrusion.

He felt a bit silly for reacting such a way, now that their roles had been reversed and Aynur was the one comforting him. “Well, I could show you my drawings at a later date,” he murmured, lifting his head out of his arms. That hand she laid on his knee made his leg feel a little bit as if it was on fire. Metaphorically speaking. Just a bit. His hands toyed with his frazzled, frayed braid to distract himself. “If you really would be willing to travel with me.”

“I would,” she told him levelly, and stood up. Her face lit up in amusement as she looked back to consider the bird that had stolen their meal. “As for her..?”

As for Arie, the bird’s sheer typical audacity surprised him little. Their pancakes were now her happy nest of gluttony, she burrowed into it with her head beginning to nod sleepily. Cream and berry bits dewed her like the rain on the grass. “I think the rascal shall be fine,” Varin said. The Drakari reached over and lifted her from the mess, giving his pet a stern snort. “A stomachache may result though. You know better than to partake of human food; so why do you feel the need to steal mine? How does one with a beak possess a tooth for sweets?” Arie registered a limp, grumbling protest with a swat of her wing. She was in her own delicious heaven. “Oh dear.”

Aynur witnessed, in bewildered amusement, Varin’s attempts to dab and scrub the cream from his little companion’s feathers. The ends of his cloak were still the slightest bit damp from the rain, which helped marginally. “She is a mess to take care of… Yet, I would not have it any other way. I have gotten too used to her shenanigans over the years,” he said through a deep sigh.

"It must be nice to have such a companion." Aynur said, eyes watching as he tried to dab away the tufts of cream. “How long have you had her?”

“Four years, give or take.” Varin lifted up one of the bird’s wings and carefully swabbed at a whorl of frosting. “I met a bardess of the Dheathain Fae Folk when I was sixteen. She entrusted me with Arie, told me that she would keep me on my toes as it goes in the common tongue.”

Aynur reached out to Arie, gently scratching her crown with her index finger. The sparrow squeaked sleepily, her eyes half closed. "Well, she certainly does that. I quite like birds. They are gentle, delicate creatures. Much like you, in fact."

Varin wrapped a wing about himself shyly and shifted the subject. “Yes… Well, we should locate an inn to stay in for the night if we are to be traveling together, correct? Once I pay for our meal and clean this up, that is.” After all, he didn’t want to leave Hortensia with such a mess after how kindly she had hosted them.

Varin's Themesong!

GP

Name
    Aynur Ziva
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Ice Blue - Blind
    Build
    158cm 52kg

Arie tumbled from Varin's hand into Aynurs, who was not expecting it. "A-ahh.." Aynur carefully cupped her hand to catch the teetering bird who gave Aynur a content chirrup. Aynur couldn't help but offer the faintest of smiles, and a soft laugh. "I'm glad. I think Arie likes me." The tiny brown bird ruffled her feathers in response, and Aynur felt happy to have such a tiny and delicate creature softly doze in her hands. Aynur carefully bought her hands toward her chest and cupped them to embrace the tiny bird.

Varin scratched the back of his head, mumbling something Aynur didn't quite catch. "What was that?"

He jumped, as though she had just asked him something devious. "I-I said that I agree, she does indeed like you."

Aynur pursed her lips, she tried to peer over, then under, then through the gaps of his wing. He was hiding his face from her, and Aynur wasn't entirely sure why. "H-hey. Are you alright? Did I say something wrong?" Things seemed to be going so well and the thought that she may have upset the one person she had gotten along with well since she left her monestary worried her.

"I am fine. I will be back." Varin slowly shuffled backward. "I will take care of the bill." Before Aynur could open her mouth to object, he stopped her. Almost as if he knew that she'd protest. "I said I would. Do not try to object." His words were muttered with a fevered urgency as he quickly, and literally turned tail and ran.

His tail whipped and knocked a few chairs out of place, one chair was dragged behind him for a few feet. The bird poked her head through Aynurs fingers and made tiny chirrups as though she were laughing at Varin. Aynur chastised the tiny thing. "Hush. It's your fault he's embarrassed." Arie nipped at her fingers in protest before turning and burrowing her way into the folds of Aynurs robes.

With her hands free Aynur went about to tidying up after Varin, righting the chairs and such. Whilst he paid Aynur wandered back over to their table and used the napkins to help clean up most of the mess, she placed them neatly to the side. She gave a satisfied nod, "That should do it."

"You did not have to do that Aynur. It was my responsibility." His eyes glanced around, "Where's Arie?"

Aynur vehemently shook her head. "It's fine. really. She's here." Aynur pointed to the folds of clothing between her chest. "You can grab her if you want, but I feel she is quite comfortable."

Not seeing her social faux paux, Aynur rose her eyes to meet his once more.

"Shall we?"
    Last edited by Aynur; 06-23-17 at 07:10 AM.

GP

Name
    Varin
    Race
    Drakari.
    Hair Color
    Black.
    Eye Color
    Orange.
    Build
    5'1" / 110 lb.
    Job

View Profile
    Varin was starting to come around to the idea that Aynur was even more a foreigner to typical codes of social interaction than he was.

Arie, the smug dastard, was dozing folded happily between the woman’s… sacred orbs, as if it was the most natural place to find her. Even so, it still wasn’t the lewdest position he had found the sparrow in. Diverting his gaze from Aynur’s ample chest, Varin sighed and pinched his forehead between his hands. The gods, he assumed, were punishing him for their own reasons.

“Ahh, I think I shall decline. To the grabbing, that is. She seems perfectly happy where she is,” he told the oblivious healer as they started towards the door. And that was all he felt the need to say on that subject, lest he trip into another senseless ramble on unfortunate topics... “We should be leaving now, I suppose,” he said reluctantly.

Aynur replaced her blindfold as Varin cracked open the door to check upon the outside world. The rain had lightened, leaving the town dewy from the light drizzle. The Drakari nipped out into the open, scrunching his face in distaste at the wet grass and sparse sprinkles of rain licking his scales. Aynur followed close behind, causing Arie to give a half-asleep warble and nestle herself further into the cloth of the woman’s dress.

Marveling up at the twinkling evening sky, Varin found it a pity that Aynur couldn’t look up to the stars that shone from behind the remaining clouds. “It is nice outside now, isn't it? Unlike earlier. I suppose, I had a nice night inside too,” he directed at the healer. “Someday I would like to return to that establishment. Hortensia was quite delighted when informed that we had enjoyed the meal, a variety of delight I am becoming rather familiar with, I believe. Chefs are their own sort of artist, correct?”

“Hmmm,” she replied with a look of mild surprise. “Are they? I never thought of them as such, but...”

Varin waved a hand around vaguely. “Well, they do not make traditional masterpieces, the kind that last eternally if preserved correctly. Food does not last terribly long, and recipes evolve over time. Brief pleasures, you see? Their medium is that of the tongue, rather than the eyes or the ears. Yet it is still art. I sometimes wonder if… oh, oh dear. Tonight has been most disconcerting. My regrets. I do not normally have people to chat with, and I am not normally this easily carried away,” he mused, wrapping his tail around his leg. They hadn’t even begun the trek to the nearest inn, and his mouth was already getting away from him again. A small groan lept from his chest.

Aynur laughed, but it wasn’t with mean spirit. “I do not mind, though it seems that you do! Are you not feeling well? Or, do you simply regret each word you say indiscriminately?”

The answer was obvious. “Only on the days I bother to speak. I do not possess a gift for verbal communication, particularly not in the common tongue.”

“I disagree.” She took a deep breath of the soaked night air. “Do you have any particular destination in mind, Varin?”

“A warm bed and some peace of mind,” he replied woozily, stumbling through the grass with a redness of cheek that seemed to now be a permanent feature of his face.
    Last edited by VarWenn; 06-24-17 at 03:35 PM.

Varin's Themesong!

Lyre-Bearer
    EXP: 57,929, Level: 10
    Level completed: 36%, EXP required for next level: 7,071
    Level completed: 36%,
    EXP required for next level: 7,071
    GP

Name
    Philomel van der Aart (+ Veridian)
    Race
    faun
    Hair Color
    violet (dyed)
    Eye Color
    grey
    Build
    6ft / 156kg
    Job
    Matriarch (Gilded Lily, Feminist Guild)

View Profile
    Name of Judgement: Loneliest Bar None
    Judgement Type: No Judgement

Rewards:

VarWenn receives:
    730 EXP
    100 GP

Aynur receives:
    705 EXP
    90 GP
    "Tol. Mela. Othor." "Versh. Sai. Memnae." Come. Love. Conquer. - Philomel in Tolkein Sindarin, Faunish and Tradespeak

Very grateful winner of 2015 Althies Awards: Friendliest Member, Mrs Althanas, Best IC Rivalry (with Doge), Best Judge and Most Helpful/Friendly Mod and Admin Award of Moderator of the Year.

Administrator
    EXP: 63,653, Level: 10
    Level completed: 88%, EXP required for next level: 1,347
    Level completed: 88%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,347
    GP

Name
    Lichensith Ulroké
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Platinum
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    175lbs -- 6'
    Job
    Grandmaster Assassin

View Profile
    Rewards added.
    "All mortal men possess the capacity to do evil. Some are simply more capable than others."
    - Anonymous

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12