Orange.
    Build
    5'1" / 110 lb.
    Job
    Misanthropist Druidic Artist.

View Profile

Loneliest Bar None

(Closed to Aynur, probably!)

Varin hadn’t felt the kiss of rain since Dheathain.

But the rain of this country wasn’t the frequent, warm drizzle he was used to. It was cold and unforgiving, each drop plinking against his skin and scales like a chilly arrow. He scowled at the cloud-smothered sky and tugged the cowl of his robes down over his forehead. A little brown sparrow nestled in between the scratchy fabric of his hood and his cheek, seeking refuge from the rain. “It should not be this dark at noon,” the Drakari observed, a rumbling growl to his voice. His sharp red eyes glanced over at the bird sharing his hood. “What say you, Arie? Shall we find some shelter and get out of this awful weather?” She gave a pitiful flutter of her drenched wings and twittered desolately in turn. “Indeed.”

The squelchy mud squished between his claws as he plodded down the road. There were several steadily-glowing lights up ahead, surely the windows of some establishment. Varin blinked through the watery veil splashing down on the world. As he came upon the door of the building - tavern by the looks of it - he saw a blindfolded woman with standing just outside the door. It was a smart place to be, the young man thought. An alcove above adequately sheltered the entrance from the elements.

Varin didn't get the chance to consider the woman any further at the moment, nor read the message she held, as his little friend was in a hurry. The sparrow in his hood fluttered her wings in impatience and headbutted his cheek. “Alright, alright,” he scolded, leaning a little away from her ruckus, unable to hide a chuckle. “Out of the rain it is. Perhaps we can purchase a meal here.”

Passing by the blindfolded one without addressing her, Varin opened the door and peered inside.

For such a miserably wet night, the tavern was abuzz with people and conversation. The whole of the center room was cheerily lit with a clay fireplace and there was no hiding the disrepair of it all. Varin took care to avoid the most splintery of tables and chairs as he sloshed his way to a seat at the counter, turning his nose in disgust at the faint stank of sweat and dog pee that clung to everything. The uncleanliness of the placed bothered him quite a bit.

A couple of rowdy young men were drinking in the corner and hosting quite an uproar as they challenged each other to arm wrestling matches and other tests of strength. Their antics died down a bit as Varin made his way through, their vigor giving way to furtive sneers and snide ogling, their vulture eyes picking his strange features apart piece by piece. Arie peered out of his hood and chirped cheerfully in their direction. She received only confused stares in return.

With only a glance aside at the rougher boy-men, Varin cleared his throat to catch the attention of the lone, bony bartender. “Would you tell me where I am?” the Drakari asked of him with a lowered voice.

“Well,” the server began with a gesture at the door and barely a glance at him. “If you’d read the sign outside-”

“No, not the name of your establishment,” Varin interrupted. “I mean where I am on Corone.”

The question surprised the bartender, and he fumbled with a mug he had been cleaning up. He met the slitted, orange gaze peering from Varin’s hood in stride. Perhaps the wilting flowers set into the Drakari’s hair took some of the bite out of his ragged appearance. “That’s an odd question. You lost?”

Varin shrank a bit under the continued stare. “One could say that. My situation is a tad more complex than that. Just… please forget I asked. I shall figure it out myself. A hot meal and some respite from the rain is all I need for the moment,” he said vaguely. “And some tea. Whatever kind you may have.”

The bartender shrugged and went back to picking up dirty dishes. “Sure. I’ve got some prepared.”

Glad that no roving eyes were on him again, Varin sighed and leaned his forehead against the table. Arie wiggled out from under the tent-like structure of his hood and fluttered into the rafters to stretch her wings. She, too, was glad for a moment of rest. As the bartender slid a cup of tea over to him, Varin glanced up at his feathered friend with a small smile. “Do not cause any trouble while you are up there,” he said up to her.”

“Funny, I was tah ask if yeh’d be doin’ th’ same,” came a cocksure voice off to the side. Scowling at the interruption, Varin turned to look at the speaker. He was a brawny lad with cheeks flushed and eyes shining with liquid confidence, leaning possessively on the counter. His presence reeked of alcohol. A grin that was dangerously close to being a smirk came to the lad’s face as Varin leaned away from his bold advance. “Are yeh demonfolk? Look like ‘em.”

“Not of your business,” Varin replied, his tone weary. His cold-numbed claws curled around his tea. “Now leave me be.”

“Really, ‘tis mine business. Dunno that we want demons hangin’ ‘round th’ town.”

Varin took a deep sip of his tea, silently savoring the warmth it returned to his aching body. At the same time, he savored the impatience of the the lad, and how it caused his eyelid to subtly twitch. “Drakari,” he finally murmured back. “Not a being of demonic origin.” The lad seemed to mull over that a moment, scratching his sparse chin hairs. From the puzzlement in his red-rimmed eyes it was clear that he had little to no idea what Drakari were. “Half-wit,” Varin mumbled under his breath.

Being as the lad was about half a foot away, he heard anyway, shooting Varin a glare in return that could curdle milk. Tension simmered in the air between them like a bed of hot coals. “Yer gonna wish yeh never said that.”

A skeptical snort left Varin. Nonetheless, he felt an unease growing in the pit of his chest. “I would not have, had you left me alone in the first place.”

The brawny lad’s reply was to bring his fist to bear and wallop Varin straight in the face, knocking him off his chair.

“Are you unhinged?” Varin hissed in rage, his wings suddenly unfolding, raised defensively in front of him like shields. His hands clasped at his swiftly bleeding nose.

“Yer th’ crazy one,” the lad replied boisterously. His friends were gathering around him, bright and eager for a fight. “Teach yeh t’ insult me!”

Varin’s head snapped towards the bar in hopes of spotting the bartender for help - to break this up, to tell the rowdy patrons to settle down - but he wasn’t there. Probably busy in the back kitchen. Curses!

If it had been just Varin and the first offender, the Drakari felt confident that he would have come out of the skirmish the victorious one. As it was, the group as a whole was just too much for him to deal with. while he managed to slam one of the drunks against a tabletop and out cold, he found himself grappled and battered from all sides. Wildly flapping his wings forced some of them back. Arie drove off another lad with a swoop and some hard pecks to the face. Someone a mite smarter than their companions lashed out with a kick to the back of Varin’s knees that sent him sprawling to the floor. The back of his head hit the grimy wood floor.

“Drag ‘im out!” someone hollered, to much jeering and agreement.

Stunned, there was little the Drakari could do but hold his head there as he was grabbed roughly by his limp arms and wings. One moment, he was inside the warm and dry tavern, the next, he was cast out into the cold rain outside. There he lay in the mud, his head spinning, his nose bloodied, the whole of him unceremoniously bruised. Arie flew out the door after him and landed on his head, spewing out a stream of alarmed twitters and tweets. There was great jeering from inside the tavern.

“And begone with yeh!” The drunkards guffawed loudly and slammed the tavern door shut behind them.

The Drakari could only grimace and attempt to staunch the heavy flow of blood from his nose. If there was one reason to be grateful for that dreary rain, it was that his the tears of pain that were brought to his eyes were invisible to any roving eyes who spotted his sorry ass.

“May Chalazae devour you all in many small bites,” Varin swore woozily.
    Last edited by VarWenn; 03-27-17 at 05:41 PM.
    "I’m funny, so they let me live." - Skippy’s List

The Wiki Matriarch. Always free to roleplay! I also play all these guys, so take a look at them too!

Varin's Themesong!

EXP: 2,895, Level: 2
    Level completed: 30%, EXP required for next level: 2,105
    Level completed: 30%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,105
    GP

Name
    Aynur Ziva
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Ice Blue - Blind
    Build
    158cm 52kg

Aynur sat propped up against a building, she heard passerby’s mention it was a ‘tavern’. Aynur was under the impression that taverns were filled with drunkards, brawls and unsavoury messes. She wanted no part in it. She didn’t exactly want to be this close to it, however, it was raining and the small alcove by the tavern was the perfect shelter. She sat on a small blanket leaning against the cool brick wall. Her eyes covered by the enchanted purple material. To her side was an (upside down) sign. Written in neat writing was three words ‘Free Healing Available’.

She wished she could take off the enchanted blindfold so she could watch the rainfall from the cloudy grey skies, alas - the town was far too busy for her to do that. The mass blur of energies, auras and colours would be too much for the young woman. The Oracle’s Sight was both a blessing, and a curse. Aynur inhaled and then exhaled. Relaxing, her fingers danced over a glass orb, the Orb of Alkieh, an item very precious to her.

Aynur jumped as she heard a topple to her side, she tilted her head. The door slammed shut on the jeering calamity from within. “H-Hello?” She heard a scuffle, and swearing. “Might I inquire...is everything alright?” Her accent was thick, and foreign, but her slow formal way of speaking made it easy for most who spoke Tradespeak to understand.

There was a moment of harsh breathing and rainfall. “No,” finally came a reply from the source of the breathing. His voice was ragged and rough around the edges, textured with a genteel accent of his own. “I fear I may drown in my own blood. Are noses supposed to bleed this profusely?” Quiet bird chirps of worried agreement followed.

The healer frowned, “I do not believe they are supposed to.” She reached out toward the voice, the enchantment allowing her to see the outline of the man. “I believe I may be able to help, if you would be so kind as to join me?”

Her hand was left hanging in the air. A sudden suspicion dripped from the voice. “But why would you want to give me aid? What is your price?” The concerned tweeting picked up again, insistent. It seemed almost as if the injured man was replying to the birdsong. “Excuse me if I am a little wary of accepting help out of the blue again. Remember that ship we were helpfully snuck aboard? Argh, yes, I noticed the blood, just stop poking at it you little f- ow!” At the end of the rambling, his voice weakened as if he might pass out.

Aynur frowned, hearing the wary tone of his voice. It seemed as though her offers were always rebuked in such a way. All she wished to do was to help, to aid others. “No price,” she said. Aynur felt a tad confused; it was as though he was talking to someone else, but she heard no other voices partaking in the conversation besides the bird. “Let me sing for you,” she offered him.

The young man’s reply was hesitant but firm. “That would be a surprise. Do as you will then.”

With a smile and a deep breath Aynur began to sing, her ‘song of healing’ was a soft lilting tune. It’s notes starting on high octaves and cascading down into low, lilting tunes. They rocked the listener, like a soft tide, filled with comfort and warmth. Her words were a language unknown, even to her - but she felt loved, the listener felt loved. The melodic serenade ended and Aynur sighed, falling into a silence, waiting for a response from the stranger.

EXP: 930, Level: 1
    Level completed: 47%, EXP required for next level: 1,070
    Level completed: 47%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,070
    GP

Name
    Varin
    Race
    Drakari.
    Hair Color
    Black.
    Eye Color
    Orange.
    Build
    5'1" / 110 lb.
    Job

View Profile
    Encountering the blindfolded woman outside the tavern again was a bit of a surprise to Varin; he had forgotten that she was there. Even more of a surprise was her willingness to come to his aid, as he had yet to meet many strangers that had opened their arms to him without wanting something in return.

Covered in mud and blood, soaked to the bone with rain and pain, he sighed and held a hand to his broken nose. Staunching the bloodflow seemed fruitless. “Do as you will then.”

The woman smiled down at him, and it was a relief for his pride that she couldn't see him in the sorry state that he was in. But instead of crouching down to tend directly to his wounds, as he expected, a quiet song cascaded from her lips, bringing a warmth to Varin despite the chill in the air. As an artist himself, he could recognize a well-crafted work when he saw- well, heard one. Yet a part of his sodden soul was deeply uncomfortable with the feeling this melody invoked in him. The only being that had ever made him feel like this - as if he was worth the effort to care for - was Arie.

Speaking of which, the bird was absolutely ecstatic about the song, completely enraptured. She hopped vigorously up and down on Varin’s shoulder much to his dismay.

The pain seemed to leech out of him as the song swirled on, as did the chill, if only for a moment. Varin went cross-eyed watching the bruises on his skin just melt away. After a moment, his nose stopped bleeding and his head cleared up. He wiped the last of the blood off of his lip and sighed in relief. This felt much better. As soon as the melody faded into the drumming of the rain, Arie flitted out from under Varin’s hood and landed on the blind woman’s shoulder, rubbing her head affectionately against the woman’s cheek (perhaps mostly for warmth). A grateful cheep escaped her.

“How did you do that?” the Drakari demanded, grabbing onto a pole holding up the small alcove and using it to force his weak-kneed self to a standing position. “What magic is that?” This time, he seemed more incredulous than mistrustful.

She simply shrugged back. “I was born with the ability to do so. I do not have a particular name for this ability, however I have heard the term ‘song magic’ being used, would that suit as an answer?”

“A very barebones attempt at one,” he replied bluntly.

“I apologise.” She tilted her head toward the bird, and smiled, reaching out to place a single finger on Arie’s head. The sparrow chirped bashfully and fluttered her wings.

Varin’s own wings shivered a little, as the cold was seeping through his soggy robes again. His wings flicked out and wrapped around him for comfort and warmth. “I should be the one apologizing for showing up like this and accepting your help without having anything to offer in turn.” Scarlet tinged his cheeks as his empty stomach growled. “Nor anything for myself. Excuse me; I ought to find another place to obtain a meal. Arie, let us be off.”

The sparrow twittered back as if laughing at him. Nestled comfortably against the crook of Aynur’s neck, she snubbed his wry stare. “You are an awful companion sometimes, do you know that?” This only prompted her to laugh again. Assuming that the blindfold meant she couldn't see the gesture, Varin flashed the bird at his bird (an expression he had picked up in his travels) and directed his next sentence at the healer. “I suppose she has taken a liking to you. My apologies, Miss…”

“Aynur​ ​Ziva.​ ​348th​ ​Oracle​ ​of​ ​the ‘Ei’lal’​ ​Covenant, sir,” she said humbly. “It is a pleasure to meet you”

“Indeed.” Almost forgetting himself for a moment, the young man very nearly greeted her name with a servile bow. The ornate title had triggered an instinct that had been beaten into him long ago. He flustered and crossed his arms together instead. “I am merely known as Varin; I am not of enough importance to have more of a name than that.”
    Last edited by VarWenn; 03-27-17 at 05:46 PM.

The Wiki Matriarch. Always free to roleplay! I also play all these guys, so take a look at them too!

Varin's Themesong!

GP

Name
    Aynur Ziva
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Ice Blue - Blind
    Build
    158cm 52kg

Aynur smiled, it seemed that whatever had ailed him was healed. She always felt a sense of fulfilment, accomplishment and the warmth of satisfaction that came from helping others. That was her ‘payment’ her ‘reward’ Aynur didn’t need materialistic possessions. She only wished to gain a good night's rest, and enough food to sate her. “Varin.” She repeated the name, trying to commit it to memory.

“Please, do not fret about reimbursement. The satisfaction of aiding another is more than enough for one such as myself.”

The sparrow, who Aynur could only assume was Arie, gave a series of tweets. If she didn’t know better, Aynur would assume the tiny feathered creature was chastising the man. “Now, now.” Aynur gently pressed her finger to the birds legs, the bird happily hopped up on her. Aynur bought the bird to her lips, offering it a small kiss before holding her hand out toward Varin. The cold droplets of rain danced across her skin, sending tiny chills down her small frame.

“Even so,” he said, still a little flustered as he glanced down at her offered hand, “it would be uncouth of me not to offer something in return. I suppose I have enough coin for the both of us. Would you happen to know of any other places to acquire a meal in this town?” He indicated the tavern next to them with a sharp turn of his head. “It appears that this particular establishment would rather not be of service to me.”

Aynur was surprised with his offer. “Ah! Y-You’re not from around here are you?” She asked curiously. It was odd to see such kindness from someone, well, hear. Aynur quickly realised how rude her outburst was, her teachings disallowed such things. “Oh, forgive me for such a rude question.” Aynur quickly stuttered, clearly flustered. “I am travelling myself.” Aynur lightly touched the material that covered her eyes. “Unfortunately, my sight causes problems, so I wear this enchanted material around my eyes to alleviate the symptoms. As such, I have not been able to read any signs, oh…” She turned to the side, and started rummaging through a small shoulder bag. “Here.” She handed him a folded piece of paper. “I am told this is a general map of the area. Perhaps this may help?”

Gently, as if she were made from glass, Varin took the map from her and shielded it from the rain as he looked over it. “Mmm. It seems there are a felt quieter establishments around here we could visit.

The bird, being pelted by raindrops ruffled its feathers and jumped back down Aynur’s extended up to nestle between the space of Aynur’s neck and shoulder again. She gave an annoyed series of tweets toward Varin.

“Yes, yes. We shall find you some seed.” He glanced up from the map, peering over the scrap of paper at Aynur. “Do you have any preferences?”

“I am accustomed to eating only once every few days, a humble rationing of grains, fruit and occasionally dried meats.” Aynur stood, and dusted herself off. She picked up the sign and folded it up before placing it into the small shoulderbag she had been sitting on, and using as a makeshift cushion. “So I shall gladly accompany you to whichever establishment suits your needs best, Sir Varin.”

GP

Name
    Varin
    Race
    Drakari.
    Hair Color
    Black.
    Eye Color
    Orange.
    Build
    5'1" / 110 lb.
    Job

View Profile
    “Only that much? That sounds even more miserable as what I have had to subsist on in the past.” A deep shudder wracked the Drakari, from his wingtips to his toes; bad memories, he found, pierced through one’s skin better than even the cold. “But, nevermind that. Shall we be off?”

“Yes, if you will,” she said courteously. If his fumbling tongue had instilled any curiosity in her, she was polite enough to hide it for the moment.

Varin folded up the map and slipped it back into Aynur’s bag, squinting into the rain-darkened town just a few steps away from the tavern. He gingerly took the healer by the hand and started off, taking great care with her. It was interesting to have a (featherless) companion alongside him. Perhaps it would be rude of him to consider her blindfold a good thing, but he found it refreshing to be around someone who wouldn’t stare at his wings, or accuse him of being a demon, or the result of bad breeding. In a purely artistic sense, the blindfold also gave her the appearance of mystique -- an aesthetic he would love to catch on paper.

There were a few questions he refrained from asking as they slogged through the soggy storm. He figured that the inquiry could wait until they were in a place comfortable enough for casual conversing. Slyly, Varin raised one of his wings over her head. Arie gave him a curious sideways glance and made a sultry chirp.

“Hush you,” he muttered back. “Just repaying.”

Aynur appeared not to hear the hushed exchange, and yet she smiled.

They squished through soggy grass and slick mud until they came upon one of the small buildings. It was old, but homey. Dark green ivy crept up it’s rough stone walls. “This establishment here serves food,” Varin said, a bit dimly. He hesitated at the door, giving a glance back at his blind company. “Would you… would you go in first? You might make a better first impression than I would.”

“And why is that?” she asked, not unkindly.

He paused with his hand above the shabbly handle. “Some here find me startling to behold. But, ah, nevermind. It matters not.”

They stepped inside, Varin with an air of caution and Aynur with one of trust. The Drakari wrung out his braids and robes, wincing at the muddy puddle that pooled on the lovingly polished floor at his feet. He considered removing them for a moment. But, he felt more secure with them on. A solemn side-eye was given to the catering staff, who were the only ones present. It consisted of an old man asleep, and a plump young woman who perked up at the tinkling of the door’s bells. “Ey, didn't expect t’ get any visitors in this weather,” the lady called over to them, her voice bright with curiosity. She stretched and got to her feet, seeming glad to have something to do -- or someone new to talk to. “What can I get for ya?”

“Whatever is on the house for me. Tea.” He was still bitter about losing his first cup. “And the lady would probably want something simple, no?”

When the waitress left, Varin squished down into the nearest chair and rubbed his eyes. Tiredness was creeping in with the chill. He’d probably have to stay the night in this lonely little town. The young man peered up at Aynur from between his fingers. “So. I know my business here -- passing through -- but not yours. If you are of a holy sect, as you implied before, then what might you be doing in this place? Evangelizing? Or merely doing good deeds through song?”
    Last edited by VarWenn; 06-18-17 at 03:50 PM.

Varin's Themesong!

GP

Name
    Aynur Ziva
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Ice Blue - Blind
    Build
    158cm 52kg

"Evange-N... No, nothing like that!" Aynur said, feeling a little silly at the thought. Sure, she had the option of spreading the word of Alkieh, but she felt that it unfair to push her beliefs onto others. "I ah..." Aynur fiddled with her fingers, it sounded a lot...quieter here. "Varin, if I may...how many people are currently in here?"

He sounded confused by the sudden question. "Five. Just the two staff and us, why?'

Aynur answered him by reaching behind her head and undoing the blindfold. She placed it neatly on the table and blinked her eyes as they grew accustomed to the dim light. Aynur glanced around. The place was small, with only a few tables littered around. All the wood was clean, freshly wiped and polished, except the muddied puddles that followed them to their table.

Aynur's light blue eyes rested on her comrade. They blinked, the mass of energy that surrounded him was muddled and muddied, but small tufts of brighter light danced around him. It was difficult to get a read on him as a person, thus far, he had been nice to her and Aynur could only judge him on that. Her lips formed the faintest of smiles.

"You never told me you were handsome, Varin."

And it wasn't a lie, the man who sat before her extruded a severe lack of self confidence despite his angular features. He had broad shoulders and his black hair was woven into a braid. He had wings that protruded from his back, Aynur wasn't able to see much of them, as they were folded back, but she found it incredibly fascinating. He stared at her through his fingers, his slitted amber eyes wide. "Excuse me? I thought you were blind?" He did not sound impressed.

"Not entirely...I see things..." Aynur glanced away. Finding it difficult to meet his gaze, not for his appearance but her own lack of ability to adequately explain her situation. "Ever since I can remember, I have had a strange ability. When I see things, people, I see blurs and swirls of energy and auras. It is like seeing parts of a person they would rather keep hidden. Even with my eyes closed, those swirls and lights dance beneath my eyelids. So I wear this." Aynur gestured toward the blindfold. "This is enchanted, it stops me seeing those blurs, unfortunately it means I cannot see all the time." Aynur fiddled with the material, rubbing it between her thumb and forefinger. "I suppose, I do not like the thought of such intrusion, and it gives me headaches when there are many people around. Like outside."

"Why are you telling me this?" He asked incredulously, almost with an air of suspicion.

Aynur shrank back into her chair, biting her lower lip as she glanced back up at him. His brows were furrowed in mild frustration and his lips pursed. From behind him a wet looking brown bird chirruped, ruffling her feathers and nipping him on the back of the neck. The action seemed to snap him into a more friendly demeanour. "Fine." He huffed, "Sorry." He said toward Aynur as he relaxed his stance.

"No... no it is fine." Aynur said as she reached out and gave his clawed hand a warm pat. "I am not one for tact, nor do I grasp the concept of secrets. You made a comment on my sight, and I thought it best to explain myself. I suppose I gave you a rather long winded explanation, would you prefer shorter answers from now on?"
    Last edited by Aynur; 05-09-17 at 09:34 AM.

GP

Name
    Varin
    Race
    Drakari.
    Hair Color
    Black.
    Eye Color
    Orange.
    Build
    5'1" / 110 lb.
    Job

View Profile
    Varin found his trail of thought very suddenly coming to a screaming halt, accidentally biting down on his tongue, leaving a metallic taste in his mouth he didn’t have the awareness to care about. He had trouble remembering exactly what he had fumbled out in reply to Aynur. His mind was still lagging behind a few paces in their conversation.

“You never told me you were handsome.”

It wasn't a phrase that had been directed at him before. He was pitiful by the standards of his culture, while snouts and scales were not taken well in this one. Of course he wouldn't tell her he was handsome. Such a thought registered as a blatant untruth. Yet, in the way she said it, it sounded nearly believable. Nearly. Varin sat with his hands still self-consciously covering his face, his gaze fixed on the table now. Her talk of auras had left him feeling uncertainly vulnerable. Seeing that which people kept hidden could mean any number of things.

Finally, he found words again. “Your long explanations are fine. A pinch of detail is preferable over a brevity that does not paint the full picture.”

Aynur considered him with a gaze that was shockingly blue. Not icy; that sliver of a smile was too warm for that. Electric, perhaps. He could almost taste the spark, the charred aftershock of lightning. “If long explanations are preferable,” she asked him curiously, “then why are yours so brief?”

Arie cheeped out a curious inquiry at Varin, daring him to answer. His hands moved to grip the table’s edge, a clockwork movement. The solid feel helped ground him. “It is infuriatingly simple. I have no reason to give others the whole of my story, because I know not what they would do with it. You have proven yourself trustworthy enough, so… Allow me to elaborate on my situation; my parents were not supposed to have bred together. I was mistake, and for that I ended an indentured servant. It took me years to gather the sense to run away from a life bound to a master. Now, I am being hunted. How would I know that others will not use what I tell them against me? Most people are apathetic to others predicaments at best. Some, would actively harm…”

“How’s the both of ya doin’ here?” a cheery voice called out. Their server burst back into the room with two mugs in hand.

“We do well,” Varin said, composing himself with a flick of his wings.

She beamed back, showing off her dimples. “I got ya both tea, since the lady struck me as the tea-lovin’ type too. That okay?” The mugs were carefully set on the table and nudge towards the two.

“Yes, thank you,” Aynur said, about at the same time Varin mumbled out a, “Thank you miss.”

“Ay, I'm a bit too young to be a ‘miss’. Call me Hortensia, sweets. I’ll be back in a moment with the rest of the meal. You and your girl enjoy the food, alright?” With a wink, she turned back to the kitchen, leaving Varin an unbecoming shade of rose.

After Hortensia had bustled off out of earshot, Aynur turned her sparking gaze to the Drakari again, their conversation not forgotten. She picked up right where they left off. “But why?” she said, with a twist of pity and anguish that made bite his tongue again. “What reason would anyone have to hurt you?”

Varin sighed uncomfortably and gave her a seamless shrug, testing his tea with the tip of his tongue. The brew was burning and bittersweet. Lovely. “A few would do it to spite to an unwelcome foreigner such as I, as those ruffians in the bar did. Others, in tune with Soervia whether they know it or not, seek to expand their coffers. What easier way to do so than to turn in a bounty resting in your inn, or stopping at your shop? Just as well, there are countless sentients who need no rationale to instigate senseless bloodshed. I daresay dominance is natural to them.” He stared out the window, his gaze dulled with sadness. “It is... not a feeling I understand. Or question, honestly. It is the way it is.”

Varin's Themesong!

GP

Name
    Aynur Ziva
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Ice Blue - Blind
    Build
    158cm 52kg

His words hung thick in the air, Aynur wasn't sure what to say. She was never good at comforting people. Her icy eyes studied Varin. "I think... that is a very sad way to look at things." Aynur began slowly. "To say it is the way it is... why not try to better the world? Sometimes, a kind act is like a tiny ripple - it expands and continues growing." Aynur chanced a small smile. "I mean, I got to meet you and I think that special."

Varin fumbled for his teacup, not quite meeting her gaze. "I suppose, meeting you is also something special. For me," he mumbled, taking a sip. "But if good acts are ripples, then bad ones are crashing waves."

"Waves sound lovely though, and they gently lap at the shore." Aynur said hopefully, trying to put a positive spin on his pessimistic words. She was met with a sigh, then silence.

Aynur glanced down at her mug, steaming and milky. She wasn't used to such fancy things, and wasn't sure exactly what it was. She slowly wrapped her hands around the ceramic, enjoying the warmth that leeched into her cold fingers. Knowing she was getting nowhere with the current conversation she decided to shift it. "I feel uncomfortable with this." Aynur admitted. "Such lavish things, I was raised on rations, we believed to eat what the land gave us, and to return to the land in kind - our savoir Lord Alkeith was a great deity who helped nourish our lands. To have such extravagance... it feels wrong."

"What did you eat?" Varin asked, his tapered ears raising in curiosity.

"Fruits, nuts...water, unsweetened tea and on the rare occasion dried and cured meats. We didn't kill animals for food, we made use of those that died though. Why let things go to waste when they can help another?"

"I suppose I can agree with that philosophy. I did not eat much meat as a youth either, though it was moreso because meat was not a part of servant's rations. It is silly, but, I have gotten into the habit of trying pastries when I can afford them. I would recommend anything with cinnamon. Particularly the rolls with the frosting. They are delicious." Arie butted her head against Varin's shoulder and chirped something out to him. "Do not give me that, I treat you plenty." Chirp cheep! "What? I gave you a seedcake just the other day."

"Pastrees?" Aynur asked, not entirely sure what they were, or why you'd put something as spicy as cinnamon in it. "Why would you put a cinnamon stick on something covered in frost?" Aynur asked, clearly missing the point.

"What?" Varin said, mildly surprised. "No...No... frosting isn't ice. It's - it's a sticky and sweet sort of topping." He gave the tiny bird a small scratch. "You've never had any such things. My, I think little Arie has had more variety than you." He joked.

Varin seemed to have perked up a bit, Aynur even caught the slightest hint of a smile.

"That is better."

"What is?"

"I much like it when you smile, Varin. It makes me happy."
    Last edited by Aynur; 06-17-17 at 09:18 AM.

GP

Name
    Varin
    Race
    Drakari.
    Hair Color
    Black.
    Eye Color
    Orange.
    Build
    5'1" / 110 lb.
    Job

View Profile
    If her naive didn’t come across as so charming, he might have scoffed. As it was, it twisted his tongue into knots he knew not how to undo. “Ahh, well, you see, your smile is also quite lovely,” he replied, hiding his face in his tea. Good gods, what was he turning into? Spending some alone time in a room with a kindly human who seemed not only to not mind his company but to enjoy it was turning him into quivering scale-shaken mess.

Arie, as was usual for her, seemed to be enjoying his discomfort. She swayed back and forth from her perch on his shoulder, humming smugly to herself. Varin rolled his eyes mildly and held his cup up to her. The bird chirped out something grateful before she took a dainty gulp from it.

Aynur however still appeared reluctant to take a sip from her mug. “It will not bite you,” Varin observed wryly, setting his own back onto the table. Another smile was slipping its way past his defenses. “If you think tea is lavish, then you ought to test your boundaries a bit more often. In an odd way, you remind me of myself when I first left Dheathain. Not quite timid. Moreso, ahh, limited. Yet to free yourself of the weights your upbringing has tied to your hands. The gods know I still have a few more to throw off.” Varin wrinkled his nose in distaste and lapped his tea. A thought came to him. It might gouge more out of his wallet than he would like, but...

Varin cleared his throat and raised his voice a couple of notches. “Ahh, Hortensia?”

“Yes?” she called back, poking her ruddy face out of the warm kitchen. She dabbed a bit of sweat from her brow with a washcloth. “Food’s nearly ready. Whatcha need?”

“If it does not greatly inconvenience you, could you please prepare us some dessert as well, to serve alongside the rest of the meal?” he asked, peering at Aynur out of the corner of his eyes. She was finally taking a swig from her mug. “Something special, if you would please. The lady needs it direly.” Aynur sputtered a bit.

Hortensia’s smile broadened. “Ohh, I getcha. Sure thing, sugar cube! You have anything in mind?”

The Drakari bit at a ragged nail and thought for a moment. “Surprise us, if you will.”

Varin's Themesong!

GP

Name
    Aynur Ziva
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Ice Blue - Blind
    Build
    158cm 52kg

"N-No please don't..."

Her voice was small and timid, and went unheard by Varin. Aynur didn't want anything fancy. She wasn't hungry, and if she were - she had her own food with her. She didn't feel the need to eat anything more. "Please stop... " She whispered again, her eyes falling to the table as a sinking feeling of discomfort bubbled up from within her. Aynur didn't want to be lavished with such unnecessary foods.

"I-it goes against my teachings... " Aynur mumbled.

Truth be told, the young woman was already afraid of whatever food the woman was preparing, she never wanted it thrusted upon her in the first place. Aynur promised herself she would at least try it. Now she had to somehow deal with the thought of dessert as well?

As Varin and Hortensia spoke back and forth Aynur shuffled, pulling an orb out of her satchel she glanced down at it. Without her blindfold she could see the thrumming golden energy from within it, it felt like a beating heart. It was said it contained the very being that her people praised. In times of turmoil and unrest Aynur found great comfort in it.

"What do I do Alkieh..." She thought to herself, her brows scrunched up as though she were about to cry. She continued to fumble with the orb, praying that somehow both the meal and dessert would be very small, and would only consist of nuts and grains. Aynur doubted it. She sniffled, her bare feet kicking at the wooden floor, toes absently playing with a pile of dust.

Once Hortensia ducked back into the kitchen, Varin's ears swivelled in the direction of her sniffling. He turned back to her. "Are you... are you alright, Aynur?" the Drakari asked, his hands clasped together in tight concern. Aynur glanced up at him to catch his eyes flicking down to the orb, but he didn't say anything of it yet "Is something wrong? You did not, ahh, burn yourself on your tea, did you?" Arie shrieked out something chastisory to him and skittered across the tabletop over to the unhappy woman, butting her feather head against Aynur's arm in a way that seemed to be either an attempt at comforting, or a demand for attention. Likely both.

Aynur gave the chittering brown bird a small smile as she lifted a hand to run a gentle finger through its feathered head.

"No, I am alright. P-please do not mind me."

Varin snorted. "Fine. Don't tell me." At this Arie turned her head toward Varin and gave a series of what Aynur could only describe as an angry lecture. Varin sunk back in his chair, it was almost like watching a mother scolding a misbehaved child. Varin glanced away. "Something is bothering you, don't feel like you have to hold back. You should say something, but if you don't want to. I won't force it."

Aynur bit her lip, her eyes falling back down to the bird who seemed to be happily curling into the crook of her hand, as if it never ranted...chirped at Varin in the first place. "I..." Aynur wasn't sure how to explain it, or if it were too long winded. She took a deep breath and lifted the orb. Gently placing it on the table. It held a soft golden glow that pulsated in a steady beat.

"T-this is why I am here. This is the orb of Alkieh. It is said to be the deity of my people. It is the chosen oracles duty to protect the orb of Alkieh, in hopes that he will once again make himself known to us. It is my duty to go out into the world, learn of it, and to the best of my ability... help any who are in aid... but... such extravagance... " Aynur averted her teary gaze. "It goes against our teachings... I feel... I feel..."

She turned her eyes back to Varin, tears already streaming down her cheeks as she picked the orb up and held it to her chest. "Am I... a bad person for going against his teachings? Am I - Am I a tainted failure for wanting to try these things?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast