PDA

View Full Version : Mine Folly

Lilthis
05-01-2018, 03:31 PM
Note, anyone who wishes to can join in on this one. Most of this “adventure” will unfold inside of the Graceful Bark inn. If no one joins in the next 48-72 hours I’ll probably finish this out solo.

Hushed voices whisper the tale of an aspiring necromancer who travelled to Scara Brae in search of a staff that reportedly conjured the dead. This staff was affixed with a jet-black gemstone which repressed all hope near it. The gem would suck in light to a vortex at its center giving it an unnaturally dark appearance even on the brightest of summer days. The young necromancer hid the staff in a tomb within an abandoned mine shaft. The rumors seemed to have arisen from Graceful Bark an inn and tavern in Stonevale.

Mine Folly

“Y’know missy, it’s a fool’s errand,” a short overweight man spoke, “I transported the ‘necromancer’ they’s been talking about a few weeks ago and he said he was coming here for a business opportunity. I’ve explored all over Scara Brae and there ain’t no black gemstone staff of death.”

The sea was calm and Lilthis could feel the breeze on her face. Her voyage on the ferrying ship called The Interloper had been mostly uneventful. The ship was spacious enough, especially for its economical cost, and the captain had been most accommodating. Captain Julian had even allowed Lilly to read over some of his maps of the areas surrounding Stonevale and the island of Scara Brae. As the waves chopped against the rough wood of the ship Lilly rolled her eyes and looked away from the map she was studying to reply to the captain.

“This is the ninth time you’ve told me this. Rumors like this are not simply made up, there must be at least some degree of truth behind it.” Lilly looked back down at her map, trying to better assess the area near Stonevale. She smiled and looked back at the captain claiming, “Besides, life isn’t fun if you can’t be a fool from time to time,” she said coyly. Lilly had gotten comfortable enough around the captain to lower her guard a bit.

The captain grimaced at Lilly and rubbed the scruffy hairs on his chin. He raised an eyebrow and opened his mouth before closing it and re-thinking his words. He gazed out at the sea and then back to the young dark elf questioningly, “you’re pretty smart for someone who knows so little about the world, huh?”

Lilly’s face turned red as she was unsure if she should be offended or embarrassed. She quickly snapped back, “What is that supposed to mean? I’ve travelled all across Alerar and southern Raiaera! I’m quite well travelled and versed in this world.” Aware he struck a nerve the captain quickly replied back, “I didn’t mean to offend ya. Just sayin that these kinds of rumors start from a young whippersnapper who wants to make a name for himself and get spread like wildfire by bored townsfolk across the far reaches of Althanas.” The captain perked up and stared out at the impending docks. He began to tie the sail of The Interloper’s mast before turning back to the young elf and stating, “we’ll be landing soon, best to gather your stuff and prepare to disembark.”

Lilly departed the ship and said goodbye to the friendly captain. As she was leaving the captain reminded her that she was wasting her time adding, “I run this route twice a week, I’ll be here in a few days when you need to sail back to the mainland.” Lilly frowned and kept walking, trying to ignore Captain Julian’s unwarranted advice. Lilly did not like sailing but she especially did not like when people thought they knew better than she did. She knew a story like the one of this staff was too big to simply be a farce.

As she entered the town of Stonevale Lilly realized that she knew very little of the surrounding area despite studying the captain’s maps. She knew that the rumored mine was southwest of the town but was unsure what dangers could present themselves along the way. In fact, one of the reasons she had chosen this venture was her first one alone was due to it involving an unskilled necromancer going after the staff. Lilly surmised that if he could hunt down the staff by himself it should be a breeze for someone of her talent and intellect.

Among the numerous miners and merchants, she passed in the town square she noticed a lot of rugged individuals gathered in a corner of the square chatting and passing around a bottle of whiskey. She approached the group hurriedly assuming they must be adventurers who had found the staff already.

The group was obviously other rookie explorers looking for an easy haul. Panic beset her as she feared that she was too late to discover and study the artifact for herself. As she grew near she heard one of the adventurer’s state, “Oi, I spent ‘round three hours in tat mine an’ I found nothin’ but a pile o’rocks and sum stupid carvins in da stone!”

One adventuring orc stood out taller than the rest of the group in dulled steel armor with a giant polished double-sided axe strapped to his back. He gruffed out at the group, “waste of time, foolish legend.” Timidly Lilly got closer to the group before speaking up, “Um… excuse me… is the path to the mine dangerous by chance?” An adventuring dwarf in studded leather armor turned around to face Lilly, he looked her up and down before stating, “Elf girl, you’ve come to a bust. This whole thing is a prank. The mine is collapsed in and someone carved some markings into the stone heap that look like the lowest effort excuse of magic I’ve ever seen. Go back to where you came from because this place is a waste of your time.”

As the group started to disperse Lilly spoke to the dwarf once more, “I think I’d still like to see the mine for myself. Can you tell me if the journey there is dangerous?” The dwarf looked slightly irritated but he took off his leather cap and told the girl, “Look, I knew before I even got to the mine that this was a hoax. There’s a dirt path near the southwest gate that leads directly to the mine. The locals say it used to be a salt mine. Do yourself a favor and head to the Graceful Bark inn, grab a beer and catch the next ship back to the mainland.”

While she did not want to admit it right there, Lilly was beginning to get worried. Had she travelled all this way only to have to catch The Interloper on its return journey to the mainland? She brushed these thoughts aside and reminded herself why she had come all this way. “I am going to enter this mine and find the staff,” she said to herself. However, the dwarf was right about one thing… Lilly wanted to go grab a drink at the inn and rest for awhile after her journey.

Upon entering the inn Lilly immediately could tell there were two main groups of people. The tables and bar seats nearest the door were primarily occupied by other explorers and traders. Further from the entrance sat miners and locals who lived and worked in Stonevale. They were quieter and seemed to be trying to relax from a long day. A lot of them glanced over at Lilly with disapproving gestures.

On the ceiling of the Inn was a giant dark ironcast chandelier with five arms that extended out about three feet from the massive base of the chandelier. The edge of the five chandelier arms had a latch the housed a torch whose flame was already lit. Although it was only sundown Lilly decided that the flames would likely keep the bustling lounge of the Inn well lit throughout the night. This would be a good place to get more information about the staff she was seeking.

Lilly was amazed at the vastly different races she beheld seated throughout the inn. In her entire life she had primarily only been exposed to other Aleran elves occasionally crossing paths with an old elf or human from time to time. In this inn's bar she saw orcs, a group that looked like giant rodents, dwarves, humans, and hardly any elves at all. Lilly almost felt out of place and was a bit nervous by the array of people here. She approached the bar and meekly said, “Hello ma’am, might I have an ale please?"

The bar maid wore a dirty blue and white checkered dress with a tan apron on the front. Her hair was tied back and she wore a bright yellow scarf tied over her head. The human bar maiden grabbed a pint glass before pouring a stream of beer into the glass at an angle, creating a half inch of foam at the top of the glass. She plopped the drink down in front of Lilly before looking the young elf up and down stating, “you aren’t from around here. Did you come following that foolish story?”

Lilly’s face scrunched up with annoyance. It seemed everyone thought the story had no merit behind it but she was unwilling to accept that she had wasted her time coming to this town. She grasp the glass and took a sip of the ale before telling the bar maid, “I make a habit of chasing foolish stories. Do you know anything about the staff everyone is talking about?”

The bar maid let out a chuckle and quickly snapped back, “there is no staff. I met the so-called necromancer and he’s nothing more than a showman. Using cheap parlor tricks to impress the children and going on about some ancient staff that was hidden inside of a salt mine.” The maid wiped her hands on the apron and chuckled again before telling another patron, “be with you in one moment.” She turned her attention back to Lilly and imparted upon her, “that whole story was created by that conman and then propagated by a bunch of folks around this very inn to drum up business. Don’t waste your time on this foolishness.”

Lilly scratched at her right ear before replying, “What makes you think the necromancer wasn’t genuine? What did he look like?” The bar maid quickly replied, “He was a darkie elf, like you. And he wore some cheap robes and talked a big game. I saw him come in here and chat with the owner before he went out and preached about his staff in the town center.” And with that the bar maid began helping other customers.

Lilly took her glass and found a seat at a small empty table. She was beginning to get a bit hungry having only eaten a small piece of dried meat the captain of The Interloper had offered her on board. She closed her eyes and took another drink of her beer ignoring the hunger. Lilly began to question herself knowing from the various stories she was told that the staff almost certainly wasn’t going to be waiting for her in the mine. Unwilling to admit this she hoped that maybe she could convince someone else to accompany her on the journey.

It’d be best to proceed down to the mine during daylight. The night presented too many potential dangers and it may be hard to spot a mine. However, as this was Lilly’s first time exploring a locale without the assistance of her old bodyguard or the caravan of wizards she felt uneasy about her chances against creatures or bandits that could be lurking about. Not to mention whatever terrors could await her within the mine.

Yvonne
05-02-2018, 09:38 AM
Sunrays beamed through the split of almost-closed curtains, illuminating a room kept dim, brightening wooden floorboards and banishing shadows to darker corners. The sun was setting for the day, its warm glow intense before fading into the black of night. The intensity stirred a napping woman from her slumber, her black eyelids barely slitting open a hair's breadth. Mm, nope. She turned away from the light source, bringing the blanket with her shoulder, burying half of her face in the yielding pillow.

The dozing woman stole another minute of rest. There was nothing for it though - she was awake and, try as she might to pretend it wasn't the case, her dream-state was a memory. The dream was approaching a good part and its loss left her mildly frustrated. Thinking about it wasn't going to bring it back into her mind's fold. She flung the blanket from herself, a slight chill quickly creeping into her ebony skin.

Yvonne's subtle feet pressed to the warming floorboards once she'd slid off the bed's edge, scantily clothed - little more than a negligee to shroud her curves. She slipped free of it, the immaterial material spilling into a creased circle around her ankles.

A dainty woman, dwarven height with redeeming dark elven features - though she had a different opinion - pulled over a black dress which cut above the knee and pulled up stockings that reached her thighs. She stepped into heeled boots and began the rigorous preparation of fastening a white corset about her middle, with its many straps - to give her darkness some contrast and naturally to appear thinner than she was. Tucking the last strap into its buckle and tugging it tightly, the hybrid collected a small coin pouch and placed it between her breasts, stepping out of her rented room at the Graceful Bark inn.

Yvonne walked down the stairs from the upper level, still groggy, passing a table of giant rodents (with whom she was on good terms). The half-dwarf was careful to avoid surprising them with her greeting - they could be very jumpy - Yvonne herself making some very ratty sniffs. They each sniffed the air near her also, acquiring her scent and essentially greeting her in return. Moving on she was about to tend to her bed hair, a messy ponytail with plenty of stray black hairs about the right side when she noticed.

The realization stopped her dead in her tracks.

There was a dark elf here in the inn. They were a young adult as she was, a woman, here. Here in Stonevale? That not be possible. Well, anything be possible, but it be unlikely at best. She can't be here. What she be doing here? I've been enjoying me time being free from their scrutiny. Was the pureblood on some kind of mission to bring her back home? Was someone from her homeland looking to get in contact with her and had sent a messenger? Had something happened to her mother? What was going on?

Yvonne retraced a few of her steps, hesitation drawing her away from this situation. Mayhap she should return to her room, crawl back under the covers and wait until the starkly white-haired Aleran had gone from this place. That way she could go on spending her quiet time in this quiet village, playing with those darling children at the local orphanage and taking pleasure in the companionship of a minstrel she'd bumped into.

The drow-dwarf mongrel had turned away entirely, closing her silver eyes in consternation. She was filled with dread and dismay, feelings she'd learned to clear aside like a sweeping backhand clearing a table of cups, cutlery and plates. What be ye doing? This, this not be ye. Yer so much braver than this. Get over there and at least speak ta tha poor lass. She came a long way ta be here. Ye could be overthinking things.

Yvonne faced her fear. She quietly walked over to the dark elf's table, situating herself in the chair opposite her like she owned the place. The hybrid rested her left forearm upon the table, drumming her fingertips once - her right elbow and palm propping up her chin. Her glinting silver eyes looked into those eyes of faded blue, giving her the most convincing amiable smile she could feign.

"Yer a long way from our home, dear," Yvonne began, choosing intimate words. "What brings ye ta these distant shores? ... It not be anything ta do with me, I presume?"

Lilthis
05-02-2018, 11:57 AM
Hunger. The concept was well known. It’s far more interesting to work on a new watch, gently placing breadcrumb sized gears into position in a perfect sequence to form a unique work of art. If you weren’t going to be tinkering with something then reading about Aleran history, manuscripts detailing the inner workings of locomotive engines, or the phenomenon of magic proved far more interesting than food. In the past there was plenty of food at the estate or Faellint would insist she take a break to eat.

“A proper lady never says she is hungry,” her mother used to say. Such a stupid thing to say. Where is this council of ladies who decided what is and is not ‘proper.’ Being hungry is a natural reaction to malnourishment that any living thing feels. Rules like this infuriated Lilthis, these rules surrounding interaction between people seemed arbitrary and irrelevant. Growing up she always longed to be able to speak her mind, to speak directly and connect with those she interacted with on a deeper level than the norms noble society dictated to her.

Yet here she was, twirling her finger on the edge of her glass while rubbing the thumb of her gauntlet against the base of her frosty mug. Debating with herself how she ‘ought’ to act. Years of social conditioning were difficult to overcome and though she had told herself continuously that she was done with noble society the rules of it still haunted her every action.

Lilly hadn’t noticed her yet, distracted by her own thoughts, but as the short Aleran passed a group of creatures that looked like the farm mice from back home Lilly perked up. The elf looked like her growth had been stunted, being far shorter than any other Aleran Lilly had spent time with. Lilly’s mind raced with thoughts as she wondered if she was a dark elf at all. No, there was no mistaking it, this person most certainly was a fellow elf. Lilthis considered that perhaps this poor soul was born with a genetic disorder or maybe she had an accident that caused her to stop growing.

Lilly’s internal conflict was abruptly halted as this intruder sat down. Lilly was slouching a bit in her chair but she instantly straightened out her back and looked this fellow Aleran directly in the eyes. The words spoken next were heard but not immediately understood as Lilthis was disoriented with her own swirling thoughts. Once the newcomer was finished speaking and it was appropriate for Lilly to enter a response she simply blurted out,

”I’m hungry.”

...this was probably not the time to try and speak her mind. The words uttered by the short elf were starting to be processed in Lilly’s head. “I’m hungry,” was not an adequate response. Embarrassed, Lilly tried to compose herself and began to fiddle with the watch on her gauntlet.

“Um, excuse me! I didn’t mean to say uh.. I wasn’t really thinking very clearly. I mean... “ This was not going well. It was the first time in awhile that Lilthis was in the company of her own kind and she was making a fool of herself. Taking in a deep breath she glanced down at the scratched wooden table and then back towards her visitor, “I am not certain I know who you are. Nor do I believe we’ve ever met?”

Realizing she had only answered half of her question Lilly stopped messing with her watch and laid her right hand flat onto the table before taking a quick sip of her drink. “Sorry again, I came to find the staff everyone is talking about.”

Lilly was just as intimidated by her visitor as she was at her inability to compose coherent sentences.

Yvonne
05-03-2018, 10:57 AM
Yvonne blinked once, breaking into a fit of giggles. Blunt and to the point. She loved it when the people around her found it within themselves to be so honest. The giggling drow-dwarf waved down the dark elven stranger's embarrassed cover up with a carefree hand, finding it a bit difficult to regain her composure.

Swiftest favour I've ever been owed. I wonder if this one realizes how quickly she gives away her power. Unusual for a sel darthirii ta speak so weakly.

"Let's go with our gut feeling, sweetheart," Yvonne suggested, considering how to properly introduce herself for the moment. She smirked and turned to her side, cupping her hands around her mouth with a cone-shaped gesture.

"DOROTHY, DARLING!?" For a tiny woman she could muster a huge voice when she wanted to. The booming summons easily snatched the barmaid's attention while causing the apron-adorned blonde to perk up happily, perhaps at Yvonne's complimentary choice of words. The two of them were obviously well acquainted and had a little history, what with Yvonne helping her tend the bar during the busy nights. They were practically comrades-in-arms, if mug-rags could be considered arms.

"How might I help, Yvy?" Dorothy inquired cheerfully.

"Our new friend here be absolutely famished. I wouldn't mind a bite ta eat either, dear. Would ye be so kind as ta make us something special? Put some love into it? Something nice, a little spice, yer creative licence," Yvonne requested, her silver eyes taking on a dreamy haze momentarily before refocusing on Dorothy. "I'll make it worth yer while," she promised.

The barmaid gave the little person a long nod, even the hint of a bow to her shoulders, turning and hurrying off to the kitchen faster than Lilly had witnessed her move before. There had to be a story there, for the hybrid to receive such respect when the dark elf had only been met with a dismissive manner. It was a tale Yvonne wasn't telling - her satisfied smile was the one reveal she gave in place of an explanation.

Either a convincing liar or truly she not be here for me. A coincidence she and I be here a world away from Alerar, nothing more. Her innocence wafts from her - the embarrassment genuine, her watch-tweaking and fidgeting signs of avoidance. I'd bet all me gold she be no threat ta me. That necromantic staff on the other hand...

"Be yerself with me dear. Tha pretend ye be awkward, like wearing clothes that don't fit ye," Yvonne recommended. "We'll become fast friends if ye just be ye."

The diminutive drow tapped her cheekbone with a forefinger, from the hand supporting her chin, considering and thoughtful. She allowed a while of silence to sink in, her silver eyes studying the pureblood, how those hands always needed a task - lifting the ale to her black lips. This one didn't add up. Not at all. There was a lie in there somewhere and Yvonne was going to pluck it out, as soon as she could tweezer it with her fingers.

"Yer not a necromancer. Yer a tinkerer, " the charismatic mixed breed asserted.

Lilthis
05-03-2018, 02:54 PM
The floodgates of embarrassment burst open and overwhelmed Lilthis as the petite Yvonne burst into laughter. While Lilly understood the oddity of her primal outburst she was not accustomed to being laughed at. She had been nothing but kind to this woman and she was rewarded with mockery. To make matters worse this small elf was now calling a friend over, no doubt to join in on the ridicule. Lilthis debated speaking up but decided against it. Who did this unsophisticated common born living in a backwater mining town think she was? The insults raging through Lilly’s head were halted when she reminded herself to remain calm.

“I’m in a strange place, with strange folk, I cannot make a scene,” she thought. “I can’t be blinded by embarrassment and rage, distract yourself.”

Lilly’s mind would normally drift to chemical reactions or she’d run through the steps to assemble or dissemble a piece of machinery when she wanted to control her emotions. To her surprise this would not be necessary as her short visitor had ceased her laughter and was asking the bar maid to bring some food for the two of them. The maid reacted quickly and Lilthis understood that locals must get better service at this establishment than tourists. Lilly released her glass and moved her left hand near her face so that she could brush her white hair behind her pointed ear before she uttered a simple,

“Thank you.”

A rush of warmth flowed through Lilly to wash the stench of embarrassment away. It was the feeling of sheer joy that now consumed her. In this shoddy inn Lilly’s blundered words had somehow etched out a gesture of kindness from this stranger. Unable to contain her happiness the corners of her mouth hugged and curled upwards to form a smile.

Yvonne continued speaking in her strange accent. It had been awkward living outside of highborn life. She had nineteen years of experience in regulations that went along with conversing around the sel darthirii elite. When she wasn’t being forced to interact with other highborn she was in classes or tinkering with a new device. Talking did not come naturally to Lilly but the small elf was shrewd enough to realize that Lilly had been uncharacteristically bad just now.

“This little one is clever. Choose your words carefully Lil,” she thought to herself as she contemplated her next action.

Lilly’s right hand grasp the sleeve around her elbow before wrapping inside of the fabric to touch bare flesh. Lilly’s pale eyes darted to face Yvonne before flashing back to the bar maid who was almost out of sight at this point. The dark elf took a second to breath and then re-focused her attention on her kind guest.

“I am a tinkerer. Or an inventor. Whichever you’d prefer. In the last few years I’ve been traveling, mostly around southern Raiaera.” At this Lilthis paused. She knew it was dangerous to reveal too much. Just seven or eight months back the cartels of Alerar claimed to have captured and executed Lilthis Shadefell. She couldn’t blame them, it’s hard to prove you aren’t dead when you haven’t set foot in Alerar for the better part of three years.

Lilthis took a large gulp from her drink and stared directly into Yvonne’s eyes. “I quite like traveling, it really broadens your horizons and serves as inspiration to help me invent.” Lilly broke eye contact before deciding that she would benefit from a change of subject. “What brings you to these parts? We both really are a long way from home. Is no one from back home worrying about you?”

Lilly’s words were spoken with genuine concern behind them but her left hand was nervously drawing circles on her knee underneath the table.

Yvonne
05-04-2018, 08:22 AM
The crimson tinge of embarrassment faded from the tinkerer's beautiful face because nothing would overwhelm the black of her skin, grimmer even than Yvonne's own. The grey dwarf's laughter had been less about ridicule, more about praise actually yet laughter could be interpreted in all sorts of ways. How ironic, that Yvonne's giggling would convey the opposite to what she wanted to express.

I think I may have struck a nerve there. What does that tell me? This one doesn't like talking ta strangers? Did she come for peace and quiet? Would she rather be left alone with her thoughts? She be easily offended?

Yvonne caught the precise moment, on the dark elven treasure-seeker's face, when she suppressed her rage. Try as we might to mask these emotions they reveal clues of their existence on their own. Anger was foretold through a clenched jaw, along a crinkled forehead, in the narrowing of slanted eyes. The vanishing of these clues told a great deal as well. When the face was wiped blank there were only so many reasons behind it, a change of mind, a loss of interest or reining in emotions like a cantering horse reduced to a walk.

Her self-control be admirable. She be one up on me friend Felicity there.

The hybrid spared her old companion a stray thought, wondering where the red-headed berserker would be at this point in time. They'd gone their separate ways many months ago, but hopefully she was still getting by. Felicity was quite ill, all things considered however she was receiving treatment for her rage-induced sickness. The berserker's was a fate this tinkerer would never find herself experiencing, far more level-headed.

Yvonne remained deliberately silent yet very, very attentive, nodding in appropriate places, raising the odd eyebrow - her silver eyes absorbing every available detail of this curious individual. It was another clever trick during social situations. By remaining silent and ensuring the one conversing with you knew their words weren't going to waste, it was simple to prompt more and more information out of them. The charismatic mongrel was attempting to pry deeper into the mention of southern Raiaera - with a masterful expression of questioning - but there was the stranger's self-control coming to the fore again.

She obviously wouldn't like ta talk about that particular topic. Raiaera be a difficult subject ta discuss between dark elves, certainly. Perhaps I might ease me way into that snake pit later. A few personal details about me ought ta loosen her lips. Tha free flow of information, tha fair trade.

"Ma would be worried about me. She'd be busy keeping herself busy ta distract from all tha worrying she'd be doing, bless her," Yvonne imparted, smiling fondly. "That said she also encouraged me ta leave Kachuck. Alerar be an inflexible place ta grow up in some respects, if yer not a pureblood. Dark elves don't look kindly on curs..."

Yvonne put two and two together. She whispered the rest of her sentence, keeping her voice low and her head down.

"...and neither would they be pleased ye were getting yerself into magic-mischief. That must be it. Yer running from them, ye be," Yvonne decided, confident she was right. By pretending she was certain she might be able to compel the truth out of her.

Lilthis
05-04-2018, 03:07 PM
At the mention of Yvonne’s mother sympathy enveloped Lilthis’ face as her shoulders relaxed and her eyes drooped to visibly translate the expression to her guest. Lilly very much missed her own mother and her mind was transported to fond memories of slicing apples or learning to fold birds from paper. Did her mother know if her only daughter was still alive or did she -

Kachuck?

That explains it. She’s part dwarf. The sympathetic gesture spilled over as the dark elf’s chin tightened and her mouth opened to wish the poor girl well. Lilly was all too familiar with the racism that persisted in her society. Though not proud of it, there was a piece of her that still clung onto the belief that the sel darthirii were superior to the other races. It’s difficult to break a lifetime of indoctrination especially once you’ve beheld the ingenuity of dark elven technology. But she was far more empathetic than most other dark elves and realizing the truth of this poor mixed blood’s heritage spawned genuine sorrow deep within Lilthis.

Her fidgeting paused as the half elf leaned in and lowered her voice. Blood pumped rapidly as Lilly’s heart rate accelerated. For a brief second the flow of time ceased as she contemplated the worst. Is this half elf with the criminal element of Alerar? Should I run? Does she have accomplices with her? The words that came next synced time, and Lilly’s heart, back into their proper pace. Relieved of her paranoid worries she reasoned that she could work with the cover given to her, should be easy enough since the dwarf-elf seemed convinced already.

Sprinkle a few truths in with your lies, she reminded herself.

Lilthis had many strengths but deception was very much missing from her repertoire. The young dark elf lowered herself to the shorter elf’s level, putting on her most convincing face and whispering, “Yes, I’ve been studying the history of magic. It’s an interest of mine,” she murmured while leaning in a bit closer. She glanced to her left and waited for a local miner to pass out of earshot before continuing, “some of my kin in Alerar do not think this pursuit to be appropriate, they’ve made it very clear that they intend to see me dead.” Her trembling lips communicated the reality of her fears.

Partial truths were a bit easier to spread as it offered her a modicum of individuality in a life she’d come to loathe. Never able to return home. Never staying in one place for too long. Never trusting anyone. The constant spectre of loneliness was beginning to wear on Lilthis and any chance to converse with someone utterly intoxicated her. Especially someone who was as gracious of a listener as the mixed race before her.

Fear quickly turned to merriment as jubilance permeated Lilly’s demeanor while she rose back up in her chair. Her right hand resumed toying with the exposed mesh of gears on her gauntlet. Joyously the young elf said, “Kachuck huh? So you’re part dwarf? I cannot imagine how poorly my brethren must’ve... “ Not wanting to dwell on it the inventor quickly course corrected, “I grew up in Belthius, it’s a farm town in northern Alerar.” She had never been to Belthius, few had due to its remote location. It made for a convenient hometown.

The next lie came comfortably. It had been rehearsed and performed hundreds of times now, “I’m Lillian Svalesin, you can call me Lilly if you wish. Nice to meet you,” she conveyed with a beaming smile.

Yvonne
05-07-2018, 12:32 AM
Yvonne's heart began to race and her pulse increased its beat-count per minute. A trickle of sweat slid down the curvature from her temple to cheekbone to chin. This dark elf sitting in front of her had some serious moxie, admitting her interest in the history of magic and at the same time confirming she was attempting to delve into forbidden secrets of necromancy. The grey dwarf made an involuntary gasp on her next breath inward, her fear rising in her heart-pounding chest, no matter how she tried to appear brave and curious.

"I be unsure whether this pursuit be appropriate meself," Yvonne stated in a scolding manner. "If yer kin don't see ye dead ye may well find running headlong toward death magic ta result tha same way!" Her hushed voice slowly rose in volume until her quiet outburst disturbed the table nearest them, the other patrons looking their way with suspicion, squinting eyes hovering above the ale mugs they were drinking from.

The half dwarf sat up straight in her chair, looking down her nose at them as best she could, making a gesture at them to turn around and go back ta yer mugs, prying humans. This conversation doesn't concern ye or yer orcish brute.

"Mayhap ye should return ta yer wee farmhouse in Belthius. Yer likely ta have better odds of survival confronting yer kin, I'd wager," Yvonne riposted. "At least find a new home in a bustling city, perhaps tha multi-cultural Radasanth would provide good cover amongst its diverse peoples. Ye could hit tha road and travel far from here. They'll never find ye in Eiskalt or Fallien," she proposed, offering the dark elf an array of opportunities which would potentially keep her alive.

Though from the look in her pale blue eyes and the uneasy feeling in Yvonne's stomach, she knew, she knew it wasn't going to be that easy. This one was one of those curious ones, one of those walk tha path less travelled types. Like a moth to the flame. She sighed a heavy, discontented sigh, shaking her head and tsking her tongue. She closed her silver eyes and rubbed her eyelids with both hands, shoulders deflating.

"Here we go again," Yvonne dramatized. "Why can't I have a quiet evening inside and keep out of trouble for once?" The hybrid scoffed at the thought of a quiet evening, rolling her eyes and finally dumping her chin back into her cradling right hand, her elbow still rested upon the table top.

"Indeed, dear. Yvonne Mythrilmantle, mayhap tha only half-dwarf, half-drow yer likely ta ever meet," she supposed, tooting her own trumpet a little bit, because nobody else would. "Well, if yer dead set on clearing up that rumour we might as well get it over with, after dinner. I don't know how tired ye are, but I've had me nap and I find me way a whole lot better when it be dark out."

Lilthis
05-07-2018, 03:17 PM
Been spending too much time with mages these last few years. I forgot how superstitious people could be.

Lilthis could see the visible gestures of fear on her acquaintance’s face, reminding her that perhaps Lilly was not scared enough. This would be the first time she undertook an endeavor like this without the support of someone capable of keeping her safe. The arrogant girl was ill-suited to defend anyone, including herself. But she had never been able to study necromancy, she was not about to pass this opportunity up.

Disappointingly she listened to Yvonne’s scolding. The half elf’s glare at the table of curious humans was particularly amusing. But as the shorter elf droned on about Lilly’s ‘options’ she started to lose interest. It was nice to have someone to speak with, someone to eat with. The pureblooded dark elf knew it was a long shot to also find someone willing to accompany her on this errand.

Then the curious mixed elf gestured her surrender before speaking it. Overjoyed, small indents formed on Lilthis’ cheeks as a wide smile consumed her face. Her eyes radiating with satisfaction. She had initially planned on waiting for daybreak but this short elf was willing to go tonight! Not wanting to risk a change of heart the ecstatic dark elf nodded in agreement.

“Certainly! We can go right now if you want! Thank you! It’s much nicer to travel in the company of others right?,” her enthusiasm bursting at the seams. Calm down, you’re gonna scare her off Lil. Lilly placed one hand on her cheek then followed with, “I mean, of course. We should wait to eat first. You’re not going to change your mind right? We’ll be fine, don’t worry.” The tinkerer was fearless but it wasn’t bravery that drove her. It was a dangerous mix of naivety and an insatiable hunger for knowledge.

Hunger. The approaching aroma of grilled poultry cooked in coriander, lemon, and peppers entered the room spreading its influence through the Graceful Bark. Dozens of eyes were immediately transfixed upon the plates carried by the same barmaid who had retreated to the kitchen just a few moments earlier. Her return was celebrated. The grumbling of Lilthis’ stomach serving as applause.

Dorothy sat the plates down in front of the pair revealing the splendor of her work. Two succulent pieces of white meat decorated with brown crusting and intense lines of slate charring. Keeping the meat company was a side consisting of thinly sliced pieces of tomato, eggplant, and zucchini which had been cooked with onion, garlic, and basil. Despite the commotion from her gut the dark elf waited for her guest to take the first bite. It would be impolite otherwise.

Yvonne
05-07-2018, 08:48 PM
"Such manners," Yvonne complimented, understanding Lilly to be awaiting her encroachment upon her dinner before she would see about forking her own food. "Dig in, love. Ye don't need ta play by tha rules with me," the drow-dwarf advised, gesturing with a swirl of her open hand. "We've both suffered our share of etiquette and I know yer stomach's going ta take a chomp out of yer spine if ye don't feed it soon," she warned with a beaming grin.

Dorothy hadn't let her down and would be paid well for her kitchen-efforts. The bar maid was an excellent cook, truly. She hadn't memorized the repertoire of recipes which Yvonne could draw upon in a pinch, but those she knew she accomplished with competence and refinement. She merely needed a nudge, a nudge from the appropriate angle, to convince her to give meal preparation her all. The usual clientele, the local miners and traders weren't so picky with their food. They didn't have the palate of sophisticated sel darthirii, nor dwarven mixed breeds whom had spent their formative years preparing meals and drinks, for unappreciative dark elves that always expected more than the dwarves slaving beneath them.

Yvonne had assumed she'd been more than clear with the inn patrons sitting at the nearby table - the humans and the orc - but no, here they were eyeing off the steaming, succulent food set down at the table of the black-skinned foreigners... and Lilly had imagined herself rude, for allowing the thought cross her mind of tucking in before the one who was paying? No, this turning around in their chairs and ogling at food that wasn't theirs, licking their chops and smacking their lips was bad manners.

"Excuse me," Yvonne cut in, throwing down the gauntlet, glaring glinting silver daggers in the direction of their table-neighbours, her slanted eyes darting between their eye contact and stabbing each of them with pointed looks. "Would ye mind keeping yer drool away from our food? We be trying ta eat in peace here. If ye like tha look of our dinner order yer own, okay?" The orc flushed with embarrassment more than the others, green to red, but each of them hurriedly turned back to their own food-bereft table and made themselves busy with their ale mugs, pretending nothing had ever happened. Yvonne rolled her eyes, flicking another smile Lilly's way, shaking her head slightly.

"Not even polite enough ta apologise. Hmph. It be easy, ready? Pay attention," the little matriarch prompted, clearing her throat loudly. "I be sorry for disturbing ye, Lillian Svalesin. It won't happen again," Yvonne pioneered, flicking a commanding gaze toward the orc a table over and encouraging him to do the same.

"Go on, ye try," she prodded with words.

"Sorry Lilly," the humongous orc admitted, his lip even quivering subtlely as he said so. "Won't look again."

"Good lad! Well done," Yvonne cheered, giving him a wee clap. Her steely silver gaze drifted to Dorothy, the bar maid and she called out to her again. "Dorothy dear, could I buy these polite gentleman ta our right another round? Bring them some of that honey-whiskey I like so much, would ye Dot?"

The blonde bar maid nodded, laughing to herself, just about in stitches as she poured three honey-whiskeys and brought the mugs over to their table. The humans were flabbergasted but grateful and their orc comrade wore a huge, toothy grin of proud sheepishness on his happy face. Dorothy came by Lilly's and Yvonne's table as she returned to the bar, her hand resting on Yvonne's shoulder.

"Never change," Dorothy whispered as she walked away.

Lilthis
05-07-2018, 10:48 PM
It was incredible. Her new guest wielded a power that Lilthis envied. Yvonne’s command over their behavior was absolute. It begged the dark elf to reconsider her new friend’s stature, she may be physically small but her personality was large enough to dictate the room. As the show played on the young dark elf dared not eat or blink. She would immortalize every detail of Yvonne’s masterful display of power.

Finally, showing her true colors the part-elf ended the scuffle gracefully. Giving the inn business, mending the table of spectators egos, and flexing her power for Lilthis to behold. A win by all accounts. Every stereotype the Aleran elf had on dwarves was being shattered.

Then again... she was only half dwarf. She decided to believe this display came from the elven half. It was easier for Lilly to think in that manner.

Deciding she would try to speak her mind again, the obsidian elf expressed her approval, “I like you. You’re the most pleasant sel darthirii I’ve met in awhile,” all while smiling. With this latest display the half elf was accepted by the full elf as being one of her own.

“I’ve never seen an orc blush,” she mused aloud.

With that last quip, and the permission of her petite comrade, Lilly took up her fork in her gloves left hand and began to eat. Vibrant savory flavors of tender fowl called her tastebuds home. As she dug her metallic instrument into the vegetable medley the flavors of garlic and basil sang a lovely chorus throughout each bite. Decadently the young woman continued to nibble away at the food, ensuring to keep her mouth closed and her hand wrapped around the fork in the correct manner.

Wiping her mouth occasionally she contemplated how her new friend may handle the impending journey. The look of concern was severe, this little one clearly had some prejudice against magic. Lilly just hoped this fellow Aleran was up for the challenge. If she handled danger the way she handled rude men neither of them needed to worry.

Swallowing once more she placed a napkin on the table to indicate her satisfaction.

Yvonne
05-08-2018, 10:06 PM
Lilly's presupposition about Yvonne's race - how she was sel darthirii - without even a mention of her dwarven heritage stimulated her, like a cat receiving a caress in the wrong direction. The microscopic hairs of her skin stood up on end, though she hid the feeling well, keeping any expression of vexation from her face. Her silver eyes acquired a considering narrow, accompanied by a warm smile that bathed her agitation with appreciation.

The dark elf was attempting to bestow her with a genuine compliment after all. The gesture wasn't completely lost on the hybrid. Compliments came few and far between, Yvonne was grateful. Her spirit was dampened however.

Proud of her dwarven lineage to a fault - if Yvonne took issue with either of her bloodlines it would be the dark elf within her. The majority of her ill life experiences were derived from the haughty superiority of sel darthirii slavers (her interpretation) and taskmasters (definitely true) coming into her mother's establishment at the end of a work shift, acting like they owned the place, making demands, putting her down and having no respect for her race whatsoever. Why would they? The dark elves were the ones who had brought civilization to her people - they were the ones galvanizing the gears of creation and progression.

The dwarves chipped away at rocks. They merely collected ore and crafted ingots. They only banged on metal between hammer and anvil, forged the implements of change in their smoke-choked smiths and workshops. They provided the masterwork armour and the magnificent weaponry which kept their vast, growing realm safe. They studied the blueprints the brilliant dark elves had sketched for them, putting the pages of still images into motion, drawing on their resourcefulness and bringing designs to life. They took dreams and made them reality.

That's all. Dwarves were simpletons. The backbone of Alerar, their short frames the foundation that held the dark elves aloft so they could take possession of their greatness. Without the sel darthirii the khazad would still be huddled in their natural cave networks, striving to store enough food for the freezing winters, struggling to keep predators at bay. Without the dark elves the dwarves would return to their tribal roots, their earth and fire gods, their wind and water goddesses.

All the same Yvonne wasn't willing to feel accepted as a sel darthirii if it meant she had to overlook her dwarven half. She wouldn't change who she was for anybody and had made peace with her hybridization many years ago. It was everyone else who seemed to have difficulty accepting both halves of her, but that was their problem in the end, wasn't it?

Yvonne ate her dinner (breakfast) politely and quietly, the picture-perfect example of fine eating habits. Her masking smile was bemused, her thoughts taking her away while she ate the delicious, spiced chicken and vegetables. The flavours popped on her tongue and tastebuds like a pyrotechnic display of exploding fireworks over Ettermire. It was Dot's best work yet. The grey dwarf closed her dreamy eyes and savoured the tastes of basil and garlic. Scrumptious.

She wouldn't dare talk with a mouthful though she certainly had a lot to say, like the long preparation of loading a flintlock rifle, pouring a powder charge down the barrel and shoving lead down after it with a ramrod, the hammer pulled back, the frizzen closed and the riflewoman taking aim.

Lilthis
05-09-2018, 08:35 AM
Something was amiss. Something had changed. The talkative Yvonne fell silent, deep in her own thoughts while cleaning her plate. Maybe she just did not like speaking while food was at the table? Or maybe she was afraid of the pending journey?

Ah! Could it be that someone in the Graceful Bark was bothering her? But who?

Lilly’s soft blue eyes scanned the inhabitants of the bustling tavern. Yvonne could’ve been bothered by any of them.

There was the middle aged local couple arguing over whether their billy goat could walk on his hind legs (he couldn’t). There was the brown haired human who had been ogling Lilly since she walked into the bar. The table of rodents whose entree had just arrived, if a giant slab of cheese could be called an entree. Or perhaps it was the rowdy group of adventurers chugging beers!

Her questioning closed in proximity. Someone nearer the pair’s own table? That was it, Yvonne was... embarrassed? At the interaction between the orc and his cohort! Unlikely, the half elf did not seem capable of embarrassment after her show of force just now.

Then what? Had it been something Lilly had said or done? No, Lilly had been most polite, she had even paid the half elf with a compliment. It couldn’t have been anything she had... oh no.

As the flames of the above chandelier raged on the tension at their table engulfed the two women as well. So thick it could’ve been cut with a rusted spade. Panic arose in Lilly as she realized her error. It was so obvious now. So plainly simple, how could she have been so insensitive? The offense was indeed great and it seemed unlikely to be remedied in the dark elf’s mind. How could the pair continue with this faux pas laid bare?

The fork!

To her utter dismay Lilly had finished eating so quickly that she laid the fork on the wrong side of her plate. Worse, it was laying diagonally. She had been scolded for committing this very sin several times as a child. She could feel the sting of the reed from the transgression all over again. Quickly she attempted to remedy the blunder by straightening the utensil and moving it back to its proper position. Letting out a sigh of relief she noticed Yvonne was still silent.

Cautiously she stammered out, “i-is everything alright?” Her sky blues focusing on Yvonne’s glistening silvers.

Praying for her tablemate’s forgiveness she tried to remind the duo of the prize ahead. Twirling a finger on her napkin she innocently posed a more pertinent question, “if you are finished perhaps we should begin to take our leave?” Lilly hoped she wasn’t adding to the insult by making her new half elf companion feel rushed.

Yvonne
05-09-2018, 10:50 AM
Yvonne may have had a minor tendency toward feeling slighted, and by the most trivial of things. Her agile mind could be easily catapulted way off into the distance with the most simplistic of prompts. In her defense she had redeeming qualities to counterbalance her idiosyncrasies, an inclination to forgive many times over before committing to any sort of grudge among them. Her lidded eyes reopened to notice the subtle hint of concern in Lilly’s expression. The genuine grin slowly crept across her face once again.

It seems she be apologetic already, though it be certain she knows not for what. She be unknowing in all likelihood what her words insinuated. She barely knows ye dear, of course there be tha odd growing pain as we get ta know each other better. Give tha lass a break, cut her some slack. She be well intentioned and that be more than ye can say for those dark elven bullies ye forgave as a youth.

“Everything be wonderful, sweetheart. Sparing a thought for me wee brethren at home be all. I know quite a few of them would bludgeon ye and me with a mallet ta get their gobs around a meal such as this,” Yvonne explained. Her words created a barbaric mental-image while she remained civilized and cultured, courteously taking the last bite of zucchini she would be consuming this evening.

She chewed silently, mouth closed, lightly brushing a mere two pieces of tomato nearer the edge of the plate which would indicate to Dot she’d provided her patron the correct amount of food to satisfy. Yvonne placed her knife and fork down in the middle of her plate, straight, side by side, wordlessly allowing the barkeep to understand she and Lilly were finished with their meal. It wasn’t long before their table was attended and Dorothy’s aura of curiosity enveloped them, wide-eyed, a happy smile upon her features, collecting their plates and cutlery.

“Was everything to your liking this evening, Lilly and Yvy?” the bar maid queried politely.

“Dinner was divine, dear. Ye outdo yerself with every evening I spend here,” Yvonne nodded graciously.

“Oh my, that’s kind of you to say and lovely to hear. You’re such a charmer. Will you be helping me tend the bar tonight or has this darkie elf convinced you to chase flights of fancy?” Dorothy pried, her boldness and curiosity growing because of Yvonne’s previous compliment.

“The latter I fear dear, but I’ll try ta be back sometime tonight ta help ye clean up, if this rumour doesn’t prove ta be a wild goose chase, that is,” the half-drow informed, warning her with her eyes not to press the conversation much further. The bar maid laughed, amused, speaking over her shoulder as she headed toward another table.

“I’ll leave the you-know-what in the you-know-where,” the blonde reminded her favourite patron secretly, double-tapping her nose. Yvonne double-tapped her own nose, understanding the message perfectly.

This should have been the uncomfortably awkward moment when the bill arrived at their table, and the host had to cough up some coin for the meals and the round she'd shouted. The bill never arrived and Dorothy seemed entirely contented with the penniless situation. Strange. Why was that? Well, the secret to avoiding uncomfortable concluding situations at the dinner table was simple really.

Pay in advance and pay well.

It was another social trick Yvonne had learned over the years, enabling her to receive service second-to-none, to buy rounds of drinks with ease and order impeccable food for strangers. She’d opened a bar tab the moment she’d arrived here weeks ago, replenishing it occasionally when Dorothy wasn’t busy with customers. It was convenient for both of them, a win-win.

“I’ll quickly grab me equipment from me room upstairs and we will be on our way. I’ll meet ye outside in a minute or two?” the tricksy crossbreed offered.

Lilthis
05-09-2018, 04:25 PM
She seems to be over whatever must’ve bothered her. Or just does not wish to discuss. I understand. There are many things I wish not to discuss.

When the architect of their dinner came to inquire about their experience Lilly nodded in approval. The gesture was intense enough that her skull nearly parted ways with her body. With a large grin and sunken cheeks the barmaid could tell that her craft was appreciated.

Studying the body language between Yvonne and the barmaid Lilthis recognized the two of them were quite close. When it became obvious that they need not pay for the exceptional meal Lilly surmised the half elf must have some agreement on the side. Or maybe she owned the place! That must be it. No wonder everyone respected her opinion with such obedience.

Realizing she was in the presence of the inn’s proprietor Lilly stiffened her back, hoping she was still making a good impression. When Yvonne agreed to head out after a quick trip upstairs Lilly nodded and said, “certainly! I’ll wait outside for you. You operate a wonderful establishment!”

With that the dark elf stood, wood audibly scrapped against wood as she slid her chair into the table and issued Yvonne a slight bow. She turned around and started to make her way to the door, darting in between tables, men, and beasts. As night had cast its shadow on the town of Stonevale the Graceful Bark had become a hub of activity.

Filling the inn was the murmured sounds of chatting crowds. The uniform voice of a group caused a muffled echoing throughout the inn. It was one reason Lilly didn’t like large groups of people. Was hard to concentrate in the haze of conversation. Worse yet was the smell. Dozens of sweaty miners, hot dishes, spilled beer. The very air was pungent.

As she pressed through the crowd in a rush to get outside she was brought to a sudden halt. A hand gripped at her thin wrist before pulling her back like a string.

“‘Ello miss, why such a hurry?”, bellowed a clearly drunken brown haired man. The very man who had been eyeing the girl all night. His shirt was a bit ragged and stained with some small pewter colored tassels at the waist. He was balding, with a thin mustache, and wore equally ragged pants to match his shirt. Lilthis could smell the beer from his breath, she didn’t like the look in his cloudy green eyes. “No good thing out that way, best to stay here. With me,” he said with a wink.

Glaring at him as if he had just committed a capital offense she issued a warning, “if you touch me again with that grubby little hand I’ll remove it,” placing her own hand to the dagger aside her hip. The man was shocked, expecting at worst a meek rebuke from the woman. He had clearly never encountered a dark elf before. Releasing her arm the man replied, “no need to get violent, just tryin’ to get to know you.”

In repulsion the proud sel darthirii retrieved her arm from the stranger. Thinking herself truly intimidating the young woman continued outside, spinning on her heels, whipping the strange man with her snowy hair.

Lilthis was many things but she was not weak. She was full of life. If anyone thought they were capable of preying on her they were wrong. Not without a fight. Observing the half elf had taught her to speak confidently and with purpose. Confidently the Alerian stepped through the threshold of night, leaving the well lit inn behind her.

Outside there was a bit of a chill in the air. Lilly’s skin formed small circles as the hair on her arms stood up. Looking at the night sky brought a sense of relief to the dark elf woman. A full moon peered over the mostly cloudy night sky. The dark cumulonimbus coated the sky, allowing only a few stars to shine through.

Crickets could be heard despite the muffling voices coming from within the Graceful Bark. Lilly examined the cobblestone streets of Stonevale as she drew her cloak around herself to cover her bare arms. Scanning the edge of her sight line the dark elf saw the winding dirt pathway to the southwest which would lead the pair to the mine.

This was a perfect opportunity to clear her head prior to the dangers that may await the duo. She didn’t want to dwell on the dangers, preferring to be overconfident despite the risks. At the very least she had a comrade to make her way to the mine with. Though they had just met Lilthis already trusted Yvonne. Believing that bringing the half elf would certainly prove to be beneficial. In her gut she knew that the adventure before them would not be possible without the aid of the tiny mixed breed.

Wanting to be ready to depart as soon as her new friend arrived Lilly opened a small panel on the top of her gauntlet. Her eyes blurred slightly as the luminous stone inside her glove was exposed to the vacuum of night, piercing through its dark covering with a white light.

The slate elf smiled. Let’s just hope this isn’t a hoax...

Yvonne
05-10-2018, 08:55 AM
Well, she not be too far from tha truth of it. If I owned tha establishment I would operate it wonderfully.

Yvonne hooked her dangling legs to the left of her chair, swiveled in her seat and hopped down from it, her heeled boots landing softly on the floorboards. She pushed the chair in neatly out of the way of other patrons and hastily strode toward her room, ascending the stairs one at a time. Opening the door to her room she stood in the threshold, considering the equipment and supplies she would need. The first item she picked up and whipped around her neck, a brown fur scarf made from the pelt of a bear. The second priority was her gloves.

Backpack, check. The pack had many buckles and straps on the outside which tools were affixed to - a cogwheel saw, a cooking pot (just in case despite the meal a few minutes ago, as it had saved her life once before), a firestarter, herb sickle, an empty lantern and a water flask. Inside the backpack was a rolled-up bed, blanket and soft pillow. She added her spyglass goggles, careful to protect the glass. She wouldn’t need them until the twilight hours of the morning.

Herb pouch, check. Within was stored an assortment of flowers, herbs, mushrooms and roots as well as her trusty mortar and pestle. She packed the herb kit into her backpack, next to the goggles, closing it up. You never knew when you were going to need a remedy, or a drug, depending on the situation. If the cooking pot had saved her once before, the herb kit had enabled her to save countless others.

Yvonne strapped her leather shoulder guard to her left, the strap running beneath her right armpit and back up securely. She put her head through the loop of her quiver, draping the band over her right shoulder and resting the container against her back. It wasn’t a full quiver of crossbow bolts but it would see her through the night, hopefully. Her grabby hands took up her crossbow and she looked down the sights, happy with it.

Quiver… and crossbow. That be everything. Time ta go, Lilly be waiting!

The grey dwarven opportunist locked the door on her way out and scrambled back down the stairs, loaded with gear. As she crossed the floor level of the inn many of the patrons waved goodbye while she passed them, nodding and smiling as she went. The whiskers of the ratkin twitched in her direction. The orc raised his honey-whiskey mug to mark her departure. Dorothy mouthed the words be careful from the far side of the room.

Yvonne stepped out into the pristine, cloudy night, detecting Lilly immediately in spite of the dark hour. With a bit of swagger and confidence she arrived by her side, keen to get moving but aware Lillian was concentrating on a white light emanating from a gauntlet she was wearing. The drow-dwarf was cautious to avoid looking directly into the light source, facing away from it and peering down the dirt trail to the mine.

“Intriguing invention ye have there,” Yvonne pried, continuing, “did ye construct it yerself?” Her voice was interested but her sensitive silver eyes were definitely not.

Lilthis
05-10-2018, 05:08 PM
Soon after Lilly’s light source was exposed to the cold of night the half elf emerged from within the Graceful Bark. Before the Aleran elf stood a fully kitted out Yvonne. Looking the small elf up and down Lilly realized just how ill prepared she was on her own. Traveling with a concert of wizards had spoiled her.

Hearing the interest in the smaller elf’s voice completely enthused Lilly. She exploded at the chance to share her handy work, “yes! I built this glove when I was just a girl. I’ve made a lot of changes and improvements over the years,” gesturing to the stone the dark elf continued, “I was able to get this stone to shine through several days of trial-and-error.” The dark elf woman held out her glove closer to Yvonne to give her a closer look, oblivious to Yvonne’s sensitivity to it’s light.

Lilthis’ lips scrunched as she contemplated what information she wished to share with Yvonne. The half elf had been so generous thus far.

“So... before coming here I was traveling. With a group of mages, studying magic. I know that back home all you and I would ever have heard about was the negatives,” losing a bit of confidence (and getting a bit chilly) Lilly shifted her cloak to cover more of her arm, “but trust me, it’s not as intimidating or awful as Alerans make it out to be!” Of course, Lilly neglected to mention that she had never studied necromancy. Or the dozens of times she injured herself around magical artifacts.

Surely though necromancy cannot be too different from the numerous other schools of magic. Lilly wondered how it may operate. Was it re-stimulating impulses in the brain and then mildly controlling motor functions to simulate what appeared to be re-animation? Maybe it did not modify the brain at all, instead using energy to propel the limbs of a corpse. If that were true then necromancy was not any different than other schools of sorcery.

“The only negative thing about magic is how lazy it can make some of its practitioners,” Lilly thought back to mages she used to see use magic to solve rudimentary problems. The sel darthirii went on, “but for the most part it’s fine. Just stick close and we’ll be ok!”

Facing the dirt path in the distance Lilthis spoke once more, “are you ready Yvonne?”

Yvonne
05-11-2018, 09:53 AM
Try as she might to look away and avert her eyes, Lilly brought her light source in close and dazzled Yvonne’s sensitive vision. She recoiled instinctively, clenched her eyelids shut tightly, shielded her face with a hand but it was too late. It wasn’t the brightest light in the world, thankfully, but it was enough to make her see stars. She would be relatively blind for the next five minutes while her vision readjusted to the changing light-levels.

“Curses! I may not have explained me shortcomings,” Yvonne confessed, massaging her closed eyelids soothingly. “I grew up in tha darkest part of Kachuck’s natural cavern system. Me eyes are well acquainted with total darkness but they have a wee bit of difficulty focusing on light. A bright enough light might blind me,” the grey dwarf said, spelling it all out for the dark elf whom had probably never been to her home-cave.

“I should be fine in a few minutes. Ye lead and I’ll follow for tha first leg. When me darkvision readjusts itself I can scout for us instead,” she affirmed.

Lilly wasn’t leading straight away like Yvonne had hoped she would, feelings of concern and guilt keeping her here perhaps. It was the half-and-halfling’s fault though, truthfully. It had been her decision to leave her protective goggles behind. It was dark but that didn’t rule out sources of light. Mayhap the hybrid could change the topic and that might take the edge off, soften the guilt-trip she’d probably bestowed upon the poor woman.

The forbidden topic had been raised again. Lilly spoke so freely about magic, certainly it had to be some kind of ruse to lower her guard and derive the truth from her. Alerar had many operatives and inquisitors that served the King - perhaps Lilly was one of them, come to expose the mixed breed mage for who she was. What did she really know about Lillian Svalesin? Of what Yvonne knew what could she prove was truth? Not much. The charismatic hybrid held a small debt over the dark elf’s head though, and if this relationship was going to end in betrayal, well … she had her own knavery ways of dealing with that too.

Part of the hybrid needed someone she could trust, to talk about what she was going through. She felt like a vulnerable larva hiding away in her chrysalis, undergoing magical changes of late, and here was a person who appeared to have a much greater understanding of magical knowledge. Lilly was an expert of magical theory at the very least and that was far and away from her own understanding. Knowledge was power; feeling as though she had none she needed to acquire some while she had the opportunity. Now that there wasn’t so many eavesdropping ears around, out here alone on the open road, Yvonne felt she could speak about magic. It terrified her of course, but she’d come quite a way from the phobia of her previous year.

“I’ll tell ye a secret, but ye have ta promise ta keep it ta yerself. No blabbing ta anybody, especially not to anybody like Dorothy. She blabs on ta every patron that comes into her bar. Definitely no dark elves. Who knows what they would do ta me if they found out. It might be a one way trip ta tha gallows or an inquisitor’s bonfire,” she warned, her trembles coming back again to take her over.

“I know a--” Yvonne hesitated, her breath catching in her throat. She licked her lips, hurrying through the rest of her words before she started listening to her better judgement. “--spell or two. I be a novice magus.”

Her vision was already returning to normal.

Lilthis
05-11-2018, 04:31 PM
Recognizing her light’s insult to Yvonne’s vision the dark elf moved her left arm away from the shorter elf. A concoction of guilt and shame poured over the tinkerer as she filled with regret. Before she could even compose an apology the stout elf brought up something new...

A secret? Promise not to tell?

Who would Lilly even be able to tell? It’s not like she knew any of the inhabitants of this island. In fact Yvonne was the only person on Scara Brae that she knew by name. Still, the least she could do for her new travel companion was honor this request. The sel darthirii nodded her head, accepting the pact of secrecy between the two. Fancying herself as being part of a grand secret, Lilly took a peek over her shoulder to ensure there weren’t any witnesses.

The revelation would provoke a series of confused blinks from Lilthis. Followed quickly by a flurry of wild thoughts.

Is it one spell or two? I hope she doesn’t think I was calling her lazy. What school of magic? How long has she been a practitioner? I wonder what kind of stalagmites are in Kachuck. If she’s a magic user why does she seem so paranoid about magic?

Lilly could tell that Yvonne was not fully comfortable with her magical talents. She tried to decipher the half elf’s demeanor to see if maybe she could extract more information about this newly discovered talent. After a brief silence Lilthis decided she wouldn’t allow the suspense to persist, “that’s quite... interesting. You are full of surprises huh?” Lilly issued a smile, the kindness from her blue eyes emanating with brilliance. The dark elf shared a bit of herself next, “I am incapable of using magic. I have zero capacity for talents of those sort... rather unfortunate if you ask me.”

Lilly straightened her back and then placed her left hand behind her for the sake of Yvonne’s eyesight. “It’s very interesting that you have those skills y’know? You shouldn’t feel the need to hide them,” she stated. “See, I intend to understand magic from a scientific perspective. To unravel the stigma of it and use the technology of Alerar to mimic th-,” Lilthis stopped herself. She hadn’t meant to dive into so much detail, she had just allowed herself to get too excited. Typically her ideas caused her to be labeled as insane, a fool, or any other number of insults. Only once had anyone actually understood her pursuit fully and they hoped she would not succeed...

“Sorry. I did not mean to go on and on about it. What sort of magic do you practice? I’d be interested to see for myself at some point,” Lilly paid Yvonne a happy glance, hoping she had not scared off her new friend just yet.

Yvonne
05-12-2018, 06:22 AM
“Believe ye me, it be a surprise ta me too,” Yvonne announced. “More a horrendous shock really, like when yer arch-nemesis sneaks up on ye and pounces from behind. Ooh Nelly, it be absolutely dreadful.” The hybrid mage’s eyesight was crystallizing clear, clear enough to be utilized again. The radiant spots dancing throughout her visual modality were making final steps to their saltations. Her darkvision ebbed into awareness once again, defined grey outlines, edges and corners coming into focus far in the distance - where to others, their awareness would be left undefined in the unknown.

Yvonne took lead of the pair, strode down the dirt trail which would lead them to a destination of mine. She kept a brisk, steady pace and didn’t look back, assuming one Lillian Svalesin would fall in and do her utmost to keep up. It wasn’t like the diminutive drow-dwarf was overly fleet of foot, so she had to take the initiative preemptively, set the pace expected and get to it. Most everyone else would be able to catch up with her, once they’d figured out the little rascal beneath their eye level had taken off on them while their attentions had been elsewhere.

“Aye, interesting, that be a word for it I suppose. I’d say it be absurd, a wizard paranoid about her own spells, how ironic. Some divinity above us be having a right old laugh at me expense. If I could get me hands about tha neck of whoever decides who gets ta be what in this life, why I’d throttle tha living tea bags out of them!” Yvonne was in rare form, back to being herself, rising above her timid trembles and jumpy jitters through the force of her personality. Fear kept raising its ugly head every time magic was discussed or experienced, but she courageously chopped it off again and again, as many times as she needed to.

“Of course I need ta be hiding me talent dear. Let’s not forget who we be or where we came from. A pittance of magic be accepted in Alerar and even that be sparingly. Only tha magic easily controlled, tha spells considered safe ta rely upon. Anything else be dangerous and reckless - threatening - and when Alerians feel threatened they be likely ta put their heads together ta resolve their issue,” Yvonne rationalized, shaking her head in respecting disagreement.

“Ye could say I don’t get along with our brethren at tha best of times and, honestly, it be no fault of mine. Most of them be disdainful and snobbier than ye be - no offense ta ye, yer quite agreeable and lovely as far as dark elves go. Ye don’t seem ta look down on me because of tha disfigurement of our race’s perfection which I supposedly represent,” she booed and cooed at the same time. “Give them another reason ta hate me, see what happens… no, wait, don’t ye dare,” Yvonne turned and grinned, gestured with a pointing finger, laying down her little law.

The grey magus followed the trail down a sloping hillside, the descent allowing her to pick up a bit of speed. Gravity was her friend for once, whereas usually it was a limiting, oppressive master much like sel darthirii were. The hill-fall caused her to jog until she reached the bottom, where the ground plateaued a while though would continue to decline. From this plateau Yvonne could make out the distant materializing of the mine entrance, forbidding and ominous in the pitch-black darkness at the very borders of town.

“Everything be having its time and place sweetheart. As long as ye understand that ye need not moderate yer speech in me presence. I can handle tha magic-talk when it be ye and me, but it be hushhush when others be about. Tha risk that a rumour about me might eventually find its way back to Alerar be too great,” Yvonne allowed, her voice a little shaky as she said so. “I’d like ta hear yer perspectives on magic - how science explains it. I think being able ta understand magic in a thorough capacity might banish me anxiousness of it altogether, but I fear I’ll never be rid of me dread of dark elves. Not ye, sorry, them.”

Yvonne chanced a glance back at Lilly, her brow furrowing as her seemingly endless voice fell silent for a moment. The novitiate was considering whether or not she even wanted to get into it - the spells she knew and showing them off, because talking about them specifically made them real and Lilly would doubtlessly beg to see them come to life for herself afterward. Filled with hesitation and reluctance, she conceded a word or two about them, not wishing to offend a friend who may be able to explain away a great deal about the mystical practice.

“They be very basic, probably not at all interesting ta someone well travelled with a group of mages. A simple mind soothing spell and a stone skin spell, nothing more, nothing fancy,” Yvonne admitted, talking her talent down.

Lilthis
05-12-2018, 10:57 PM
As Yvonne talked about Alerar the full blooded dark elf felt a sense of sadness overwhelm her. Lilly was unsure if she’d ever get to return there. For now she just had the memories of great feats of engineering, magnificently crafted zeppelins, and the indescribable familiarity of ‘home.’ As the memories of Alerar spun through her mind they formed a singularity too great to be kept confined in her head, letting slip, “I wouldn’t worry... I’m not sure if I’ll ever be able to return home.” Lilly’s eyes were off far away. Lost in memory.

Somehow speaking the words into existence cemented their reality though. Her words confirmed the worries she had. Lillian Svalesin may get to walk the streets in disguise. Lilthis Shadefell would never be welcomed. Her ideas, likewise, would never be welcomed. Not in her lifetime.

Luckily, the smaller elf showed genuine interest in Lilly’s work. And she’d much rather discuss that. It was a happier subject. As the dirt path crunched under the duo’s boots the young woman formulated how best to answer Yvonne’s curiosity.

“For most spells science can already explain the what,” Lilly looked up at the stars, drawing out the explanation a bit, “but it cannot explain the how. The machinations of it all. How the puzzle pieces intertwine together to form a coherent image.” She wished to zero in a bit closer to home. Yvonne was bright but most people tended to have more of an interest in something once it related to them.

“Stone skin is a fairly common spell. Part of the school of abjuration, a school of protective magics. But it can take on many forms,” Lilly adjusted a gear or two on her gauntlet, still a bit nervous that her words may be judged, “my working theory is that the spell was created by early Magi as part of an instinctive survival mechanism. It would make sense, your life is in danger and you stiff up, trigger something deep within to protect yourself.”

The dark elf was unsure about commenting on Yvonne’s claim to be capable of soothing minds. Her new associate was a self-proclaimed novice who had shown masterful displays of diplomacy in the tavern. Lilly had a theory that sometimes mages could assert their mystic arts unwittingly, especially the uninitiated. Granted, this theory was untested but what if Lilly was so trusting of the smaller elf due to a spell? What if the orc had so easily complied because the smaller elf put his mind at ease?

Best not share those thoughts just yet... they may prove to insult or scare her.

Instead the dark elf offered, “ah, but to go back to what you said earlier, I feel it is a true shame that you do not feel as if you can share who you are.” Trying to choose her words carefully, precisely, she pressed on, “you have something wonderful that our brethren do not understand. And I can assure you that is exactly why most sel darthirii despise magic.” Lilly was completely immersed now, fully tinkering with the nozzles and gears of her gauntlet. “They cannot understand it currently, therefore it is beyond their control,” she reasoned.

“Neither of us can ever be ourselves. You for your wondrous abilities and me for my research,” was her next statement. Neglecting to include Yvonne’s dwarfism, Lilly’s shaded past, or the fact that the two weren’t really comparable. Quickly Lilly corrected herself, “I’m sorry. It is not fair to compare us. You were born with magic and I chose this burden. I cannot understand what your dilemma must feel like,” Lilly sounded a bit less sure of herself as she continued, “maybe at some point you’ll get to show me your talents, but only if you feel comfortable doing so.”

As the two continued down the dirt path the mine became visible off a detour to their right. Down a further sloping hill the mine’s gray cobblestone protruded from the ground. It looked rather small but Lilly reasoned to herself that it must descend quite deep, it was once a very prosperous mine in it’s hay day. At their current pace they would reach the mine in only a few more moments. The dark elf hoped it was warmer inside the mine than it was out in the dead of night.

Yvonne
05-13-2018, 11:23 AM
“Chin up dear. Anything be possible, especially with me about,” Yvonne crowed, her voice accompanied by bravado, and yet there was a sincere note to those shimmering silver eyes. “Although, thinking about it, while yer slouching miserably like that yer making me look taller. As ye were! Carry on,” the little teaser pointed out while she scouted, surveying the surrounds around the mine entrance. In places such as this you could never be too careful. If something happened to either of them the location was remote enough, at the edge of town, that crying out for help wouldn’t be much use. The town’s inhabitants may not hear them at all at this distance.

“Hmm, even scientists don’t fully understand how magic happens? Ye can gather details on tha results I bet, but it be tha process yer missing?” Yvonne clarified, thinking out loud. “Tha whole experience of casting a spell be so frightening ta me I wouldn’t know where ta start on explaining what be happening. If a lifetime of sel darthirii indoctrination wasn’t hanging over me head I might be able ta help ye. Sorry I be of little use,” Yvonne apologized. She chewed her lower lip nervously, memories of a certain magical act coming to mind that didn’t sit well with her.

“I understand what yer up ta,” the drow-dwarf mixed breed affirmed, nodding thoughtfully. She had subconsciously brought the conversation back to the realm of theories and philosophies. Relating to the topic at hand wasn’t good for her nerves or the racing of her heart. By creating distance between magic and herself she could speculate about it, like it was some mysterious enigma that couldn’t affect her from afar. If she pretended this had nothing to do with her she could keep her phobia in check, she hoped.

“If ye could explain how a wizard gathers energies ta him, bends those energies into a new form and compels tha form ta achieve his whim, ye could make a machine do tha same, that be right? Machines do tha bidding of tha dark elves, be under their control and might be more accepted into our culture,” Yvonne theorized. “It be quite tha dream ye have in mind. Who knows? Ye might affect change on a vast scale, cause an evolution of our nation. Never stop chasing yer dream just because it seems too far off in tha distance, too far away. Someone else might achieve it before ye and I’d rather it was a likeable dark elf with a conscience.”

The Alerian apprentice stared back at Lilly from the threshold of the mine entrance, a small smirk on her face and a confident eyebrow raised. She considered the last of her words before stepping into the darkness.

“Yer wrong there, sweetheart. We be ourselves this very moment, doing what we do best right now. In spite of all of them telling us no, stay away from magic here we be. Yer getting yerself into magic-trouble and I be making sure yer well taken care of,” she posited, giggling to herself as she turned and made her way into the mine shaft. The opening was a fairly easy hole for Yvonne to pass through - for Lilly it would be a snug squeeze. The little one waited on the inside to help her companion in, lending a hand to pull her through if necessary. Only her blinking silver eyes were visible. All else was black.

Lilthis
05-13-2018, 04:48 PM
”Stop it, you’ve been far more helpful than I could have expected from someone that was a stranger mere hours ago,” Lilly insisted. As the taller dark elf followed Yvonne’s lead she felt the need to reassure her new guide, “I’m very lucky that you came over to speak with me in the tavern. I was having second thoughts about coming here on my own.” Snapping a small piece of brass out of place and then back into place on her glove finally bored the elf.
As the pair continued down the dirt road and Yvonne followed Lilly’s logic the young Alerian woman furthered, “correct… I can explain magic’s effect on nature but not how an individual can conjure that effect to occur. If I could then yes, I would be able to achieve my ultimate goal of mimicking magic itself via sel darthirii innovations.” Blushing a bit Lilly added one more addendum to her smaller friend, “thank you for your kind words… I’ve never had someone really encourage me on this pursuit. It… really does mean a lot…”

As the shorter half elf turned smirking Lilly met her face with an equally happy one. Considering how fortunate she had been on this day.

“Right, well, we are both in this now I suppose,” were the final words from Lilly as the smaller elf descended into the darkness effortlessly. Lilly paused for just a brief second before lowering her back. She could see the small hand of her companion reaching out and the full elf took advantage of her assistance. The squeeze was tight so having a bit of guidance was certainly welcome.

Inside the mine Lilly took a chance to place her fingertips to her eyelids, rubbing the pupils of her pale blue eyes in a futile attempt to adjust her vision to the darkness. But the only light present on this eve was the one from Lilly’s gauntleted stone.

The mine’s entrance was about what you would expect from an abandoned shaft. Gravel underfoot, desolate rail tracks that lead to caved-in entrances, and the echoing sounds of water deep within the mine. As Lilthis took a three-hundred-sixty degree look around the lobby of the cave she realized that there were no visible pathways forward. Three caved-in entrances that were likely once used by the miners to get deep within the earth to harvest salt or whatever else they could uncover. The western wall of the mine was smooth and close to the pair. In the furthest corner of the mine Lilly could make out markings. In actuality it had been the acute eyesight of the half elf that recognized them first but as Lilly made her way over she could tell that the markings were quite fresh. Likely only as old as the rumors themselves.

As she began to examine the markings in detail her heart sank in her chest. It was Alerian, the people of Stonevale must have interpreted the unfamiliar language as arcane. The message itself was really what bothered Lilly though, it simply read, “Graceful Bark has the best drinks in Stonevale!”

All bets were off. As she realized that this was most likely a hoax the dark elf woman threw her civil etiquette out the window. In a flurry of curses and insults she began to throw rock and stone indiscriminately. Trying to remain calm she said in a heightened voice to Yvonne, “you read Alerian right!? It’s an advertisement! How dumb are the inhabitants of Stonevale!?” Lilly’s face was flushed in crimson from her on-going rage.

Yvonne
05-14-2018, 08:23 AM
“I be glad ye stayed. This be exciting in a scare me senseless sort of way,” Yvonne admitted, quietly cackling over a hint of hysteria. “I’d only be pouring drinks and cleaning tha kitchen if ye never showed.” She assisted Lilly through the opening, pulling her through once she had aligned herself to fit the gap.

With both of them inside the petite woman investigated why the entrance was so difficult to pass through. There had been another collapse here as well as the adjoining tunnels, large boulders resting together in a triangular formation. Still enough room to squeak through thankfully, for Lilly, Yvonne and the miners that worked the mine before it was abandoned. If these boulders had fallen together into a neater arrangement there would likely be skeletons resting here now, as these stones would be impossible to lift, push or budge.

I wonder what happened ta cause so many collapses. An earthquake? An explosion? Overambitious digging? Three tunnels no longer accessible, no way ta explore further. No wonder every other avaricious adventurer turned back from here with nothing. There be nothing, unless we want ta put in tha effort ta clear one of these passages. That could take a week with tha amount of rubble in tha way.

Yvonne had discovered the markings from a distance, scrawled on the deepest corner wall in the chamber, though Lilly was brandishing her light gem again and she averted her silver eyes because of it. The mine shaft was incredibly dark and the contrast between the darkness and light was harsh to witness.

The little drow explored the other corners of the man-made cavern instead, preferring to avoid another stint of blindness. In spite of her incredible vision and patient inspection there wasn’t a great deal to be found - the tinkling drips of water elsewhere, an empty mine cart askew of the tracks and a great deal of rubble in every direction. This place was so abandoned even a spider had left its web behind, to collect dust particles.

It wasn’t long before Lillian’s frustration had begun to get the better of her, taking it out on the inanimate objects about her person. Yvonne had never seen this side of the normally calm, collected pureblood and her efforts to maintain her composure were - dare she think it - very amusing. The grey dwarf’s mouth gaped from the surprise of it all, Lilly’s tantrum taking her aback while she stifled her laughter as best she could.

“Sounds like I be having an adoring fan,” she suggested, tittering behind a hand, “that enjoys me cocktails. Necromancer or no, he be one with good taste.”

Lilthis
05-14-2018, 01:22 PM
Lilly’s rampage persisted despite the shock of her small witness. This was her first time trying to follow a lead and the venture had made a fool out of the dark elf. This was supposed to be her chance to prove she didn’t need her old compatriots. Instead it now seemed to be proof positive that she wasn’t cut out for exploration.

Additional stones and gravel were tossed at the cave markings in anger. The sound of rock colliding against the cave wall echoed throughout the chamber that housed the dark skinned duo. It’s cacophony was a soothing music for Lilly who wanted nothing more then to make the cave, and Yvonne, know her frustration. Once the message had been clearly delivered the young woman took a step back and swallowed a giant dose of oxygen.

Yvonne had kept her cool, even cracking a joke and praising her bar tending prowess. Lilly was still angry but the comment cut deep enough to cause a chuckle from the taller Alerian. “I guess I’ll have to get you to show me more than just your magical talents after such a glowing review,” she sarcastically offered. At the very least Lilly had met a new friend. Plus the inventor sorely needed to learn that it was okay to be wrong, okay to laugh at yourself from time to time.

Leaning against the wall Lilly suggested, “perhaps we should head back, sorry to have wasted your time but I appreci-,” she was interrupted by the very wall she reclined upon. It shifted backwards, made loose from her earlier rampage.

A slab of the wall descended, nearly taking Lilly with it had she not caught herself. With a loud splash the chunk of cave wall exploded into a river of cave water, exposing a pathway overtaken by the flood water. This must’ve been what evicted the miners years ago.

This new path was completely submerged in a water blackened from the removal of light. A few tan colored stalactites dripped out from the ceiling of the cave into the lake. The water shifted around from the impact of the chunk of wall but it appeared to be calm, a few ripples here and there, but otherwise calm. Lilly couldn’t see too well into the path but her gut told her they should continue. The staff had to be beyond this trench of cave water.

Excitement overwhelmed the girl’s face as she turned to look at Yvonne. This was why they had come here. All it took to show them the way was an adult woman throwing a childish tantrum. Lilly had felt a bit of embarrassment over her actions but this turn of events surely justified her outburst.

“Up for a swim?” Lilly was clearly intent on pressing further into the mine.

Yvonne
05-14-2018, 07:46 PM
Yvonne approached the suddenly revealed secret passageway at a crawling pace, cautiously checking for any new dangers to be detected. She shuffled in next to Lilly where the wall had fallen from the floor - where the pureblood had almost performed a reverse dive, complete with arm careening and the magnificent technique of back-flopping. She hadn’t been close enough to reach out and grab Lilly - too busy inspecting the rest of the chamber - but this turn of events reminded her they needed to stick together, even if it meant constantly shielding her eyes from the light gem.

The wary scout peered into newfound darkness, checking further down the corridor for threats of any kind, her silver eyes challenging the water in their way. It appeared to be reasonably safe. A smattering of sharp edges were there to be aware of - the stalactites above - but for the most part the tunnel was human design and free of dangers. Yvonne’s darkvision allowed her to discover everything they needed to know about their next course of action, as though the sun was beaming in from on high and illuminating every last wisplike shadow that concealed their way ahead. There was only the one tiny, itty bitty issue to deal with.

“I can’t swim,” Yvonne blanched, flinching away from the edge at the mere mention of doing so. The half-drow, half-dwarf was a cave dwelling creature to be sure, so you would think she’d be in her element here in a mine shaft. She wasn’t entirely adverse to moving around and through water - an underground river flowed through the heart of Kachuck after all, from which she had collected drinking water and water for her concoctions many times in the past. Swimming in it though was something else. That wasn’t safe in a roaring current and she had always kept relatively out of Kachuck’s subterranean river. She left contact with water to the water wheels and watermills which converted the river’s energy for ore crushing, machinery, papermaking and cloth manufacturing.

This tunnel was essentially a long pond, not at all what Yvonne was familiar with. The depth was enough to completely submerge her three feet nine inches and then some, but Lilly would find she was tall enough to keep her head above water. The dark elf could make reasonably short work of the flooded cavern alone, wading through to dry rock on the other side, but she would have to leave her friend behind if she still wanted to continue the search for the necromantic staff. The hybrid reasoned she could wait here, stand guard and watch the entrance - make sure no other opportunistic adventurers came by to steal their loot.

“It looks cold and wet,” Yvonne complained, pulling a face. She decided she needed to convince her companion to leave her here, for dignity’s sake. She’d look the part of a drowned rat if she had to get in that water. What would she do with her hair!? She already had bed hair, she didn’t want to make it any worse. This was definitely a bad idea after all, coming all the way out here. Pouring drinks for boring people in a warm, cozy tavern sounded so much better than it had seemed earlier. Maybe she would go and help Dorothy with the cleaning up after all.

“Ye would need ta carry me on yer back ta get us through there. I bet ye don’t want ta suffer tha indignity, so I can stay here. It be okay. I’ll be fine! Ye go on ahead and fetch yer death stick,” Yvonne reasoned, experiencing another facet of feeling uncomfortable.

Lilthis
05-14-2018, 10:52 PM
For the first time in their relationship Lilly was amused at Yvonne’s expense. From their short experiences together Lilly had surmised that Yvonne was a beacon of confidence who showed little weakness aside from her magic phobia. Now, she was presented with a bit of water and she was prepared to surrender! Always clever the smaller elf tried to hide her concern by presuming that the full blooded sel darthirii would refuse to carry her. Lilly was intent to prove her wrong.

The taller Alerian giggled and took a long look at the water before looking back at her smaller friend. “I don’t mind carrying you,” she grinned. The dark elf approached the smaller halfling and flung her atop her shoulders, “see, this way you won’t have to get cold or wet!” Then, before her smaller companion could protest, the focused dark elf began her wade through the cave pond.

Sloshing noises echoed off the chamber walls as Lilly carefully stepped around crevices, the dimmed light made it difficult to navigate between the various stalactites and stalagmites that had called the abandoned path their home. Fortunately, the petite elf who rode atop her shoulders didn’t squirm... much.

Lilthis took a look upwards towards her unwitting passenger and offered, “you doing ok up there? Not too bumpy I hope.” For the first time in awhile Lilly was happy, she felt like she belonged to something. Even if it was just being a ferry for a half breed who wanted nothing to do with a necromantic staff. But hey, Lilly was forcing the smaller sel darthirii to face a fear! That was worth something.

As the pair rounded a corner the water became a tad more shallow. Yvonne’s dark vision alerted the two that there was a clearing up ahead. With her half elf compass the S.S. Lillian navigated the duo up onto dry land. The chamber they emerged into was rectangular and rather cramped. Lilly had to let Yvonne down on the dry land before proceeding.

As the full blooded elf ducked into the room she noticed a man in robes sleeping in the far corner. Lilly turned to her partner and issued a warning, “shh, that must be the necromancer sleeping. And that must be,”

The staff.

It was a pure jet black gemstone attached to a long curved oak staff. The wood was bubbled and cracked, showing signs of its age. The rumors had proven true. The deathly gemstone swirled into a perfect center that seemed to drain joy itself from the cave. Lilly was fixed on the gemstone, edging closer and trying to observe any patterns it gave away.

She whispered back to Yvonne, “aren’t you glad you came? I’ll just go retrieve the staff and we can return it to town. It will be easier to study it in the peace of central Stonevale.”

Lilly could not contain her curiosity as she stared deeply into the dark stone.

Yvonne
05-16-2018, 01:10 AM
Yvonne’s metallic eyes bulged out of her head, so wide they could have popped out of their sockets. The ground fell away from the hybrid’s heels and her stomach dropped as she found herself lifted abruptly, heaved high over the dark elf’s stark white hair and plopped down behind it upon Lilly’s shoulders. The little one felt immediately out of place. The only moments when she had experienced such loftiness before was in the saddle, riding on the back of her chestnut palfrey Mead.

To think she had it all sorted out in her head, what was going to happen next. Reality could often prove altogether different, pitching a curve ball to be evaded or caught. The hysteria in her voice peaked as she tenuously found her balance, wobbling to and fro even as Lilly plunged into the water without warning.

“Ahhh! No-no-no! Put me down, put me-- whoa, whoa oh nooo! Hold me up, hold me up!” Yvonne expressed through panic. “Oh me gosh, what be yer thinking!? What we be doing!? We’ll just jump right in will we!? Ye be one crazy goose me dear,” she disputed, confronting her carrier by focusing on the top of Lillian’s head. She didn’t have much to hang onto, unlike in the saddle where there were reins available at the very least. The hybrid gently stroked through the dark elf’s alluring white hair and wrapped a crown-like gesture around her temples, holding behind her long ears to stabilize herself.

Yvonne had shut her black eyelids tightly, trying to block out the incident - to avoid her memory committing it - but water splashed at Lilly’s chest height and that reassuring, soothing voice snaked its tendrils into her consciousness regardless. She couldn’t ignore what was happening to her. As Lilly checked up on her Yvonne began to settle down and the grey dwarf sensed a lump in her throat, feeling a bit choked up. The only indication of this which escaped her composure was a quiet sniffle.

You see, Yvonne had spent her first decade enduring ridicule and shame. She’d been berated, beaten and bullied. She’d been stoned with (approximately) thirty seven rocks at the tender age of eight years old, three boys taking turns pelting her with twelve stones each and one more for good measure; battered and broken within an inch of her life. She considered herself lucky to be alive. From that time onward she had promised herself, somehow she would turn it all around. Clawing herself out of blood-spattered mud and never mind shattered fingernails, Yvonne stood upright despite broken bones and damaged ribs, in spite of a fractured eye socket and bruised eye, in spite of a dislocated knee… she walked home.

Ever since that life-changing day the young mongrel had stood up for herself, cast off the hatred and shame that her peers dumped over her little frame like black tar. Yvonne had made it a rule, to project who she was and amplify her personality to awe and inspire others. Nobody would look down on her and get away with it. No one would make her feel small or leave her feeling crushed. She had spent the rest of her life picking herself up, stepping up to the plate, puffing her chest out and conveying who she was, with the most powerful voice she could muster.

To falter, to flinch away from a situation she wasn’t comfortable with was disheartening. To have someone liberate her of the problems she was faced with, even for a little while was renewing. To have a friend pick her up without asking, to carry her weight and bear her burden, hold her up and lift her above the problem like she was some kind of important figure who deserved elevation; why it brought tears to her welling eyes. She fell very silent and tried so hard not to cry. There was no time for weakness in this life. Only the strong survived. The remorseful were stoned.

Yvonne’s feet finally touched down, her moment of Queen for a day coming to an end. The mixed breed made certain Lilly had climbed out of the cold water safely, that she wasn’t freezing and shivering. No, only drenched. She looked up to the dark elf, genuinely appreciating what she had done, keeping her completely dry while wading between stalagmites and through the liquid misery of the tunnel. Few people had ever helped her with her issues and those that had, she considered each of them her closest friends.

“Ye be too good ta me,” Yvonne said softly, wiping the tears from her eyes. Lifting her on high left her humbled and quiet.

Scarcely using her voice allowed focus on her senses, sight, hearing, and smell. The awful, pungent smell of this stuffy room knocked her for six, nearly bowled her right over. Yvonne pinched her nose in an attempt to keep the scent of death out, her eyes watering from a new reason. There was a third dark elf in the underground hollow, this one adorned with black, hooded robes but he lay still, motionless, lifeless. The unlikely mage assumed Lilly understood the necromancer was dead. The smell was unmistakable but she seemed eager to approach the source.

The staff, cradling its light and euphoria-diminishing gem in its oaken grasp was the lure. Lillian couldn’t help herself and Yvonne was eager to leave. Magical objects drew Lilly toward them and scared Yvy away witless. She wanted nothing to do with this room, nothing to do with the staff and nothing to do with an ironically dead necromancer.

It was toward the end of an adventure, when feet were weary and packs were heavy - when the time was late and thoughts drifted to warm beds - that adventurers often let their guard down. Lilly approached the necromantic staff. Yvonne let her take what she had come here to take, so they could then swiftly leave - the objective so near and her awareness of traps so far from her mind.

Lilthis
05-16-2018, 10:58 AM
Moisture accumulated on the ceiling of the cave, forming into droplets that became too heavy to sustain their suspension they fell. Colliding into the cave pond they passed their voice throughout the chamber. It was the only sound Lilly could hear after she smiled at Yvonne and then noticed the treasure in front of them.

Reaching out to her, beckoning her with its onyx crystalline surface. She had been right all along and the numerous naysayers who insisted she was being foolish or chasing after a lie were all proven wrong in this one glorious moment. Indeed, her triumph was so great that she managed to almost ignore the smells of what she assumed to be sulphur deep within the mine. As she approached the necromantic rod her heart pounded out of her chest as she wished to savor her victory.

Captivated, the dark elf stood over the staff, crouching a bit and leaning over to grasp the wood of the staff in her right hand. As she brought the oaken rod upwards the gem stone was nestled just below her eye level. Aloud the tinkerer stated, “amazing how it swirls and twists.” The inner workings of the crystal fascinated the quizzical elf, smoky contrails spun to an exact center churning a sinister power beyond Lilly’s expectations.

How do you work? What sort of mechanism can re-animate the dead?

Curiosity overcame the girl as she could no longer resist the call of the mythic object. Grasping the wooden staff in her right hand she reached out with her left to touch the face of the gem. Lilly held her breath as her fingertips were placed on the black surface of the stone. The smoke within the gem ceased its swirl, immediately directing its attention to the contact of life. Flooding straight towards her fingers the smoke pooled at the edge where the young woman had dared to touch. Enveloping her fingers the smoke appeared only unto the dark elf and seemed to cross the physical barrier of the gem and intertwined with her own body.

Lilly could tell something was wrong. Something felt off. The air around her went cold as her ears started ringing and her hearing became muffled. Her vision started to blur as her legs became weak. The dark elf youth dropped the staff suddenly and it rolled towards the back wall away from her. Her knees buckled, her back slumped, and like an unnatural doll she crashed suddenly into the cavern floor. Laying on the ground she was completely motionless.

What’s happening, were the words her tongue tried to form but even speech was failing her. As the muscles of her mouth opened a guttural sound of half-words was espoused in anguish. The ringing in her ears grew louder, drowning out all other sound. Vision completely ceased but she was certain her eyes remained open... she struggled to breath. Heaving in a last gulp of air proved fruitless as her throat refused to accept it. She tried to scream, tried to stand, tried to do anything, but every joint in her body was unresponsive.

Finally it dawned on her. Too late did she realize that the necromancer wasn’t sleeping, he had been the black gemstone’s first victim. She was quickly joining him in the same slumber of death.

The once proud, inventive, and beautiful dark elf would have cried had she been able to. As the light of life began to fade out her heart slowed, her senses were lost, she tried to take in another breath, not like this. She was cold. She saw nothing. She wanted to cry for help. A few slow beats of her heart echoed through her dying body. Then consciousness ceased, reality faded away. There was nothing. She was becoming nothing as she sailed from the shores of the living into the abyss of death.

The staff wasn’t designed to bring the dead back to the realm of the living. It was a tool intended to bolster the ranks of the dead.

Yvonne
05-17-2018, 09:18 AM
Shock and denial. Yvonne couldn’t believe her gaping eyes. She wouldn’t believe them. There was no way that this was happening. Not a chance. One moment Lilly had been examining the necromancer’s staff, that sinister object which had drawn the dark elven inventor here and Yvonne along with her. The next moment Lilly was laying upon the stone, prone. Her new friend had withered before her silver eyes while clutching the spell focus, letting it fall where it may and collapsing to the ground thereafter. She was hurt. It was bad. She wasn’t dead though, right? She couldn’t be dead.

Yvonne hurried to her side the second the shock of it all had begun to break. She tossed off her backpack with a thud, ripped it open and rummaged through it, looking - finding her herb kit. The grey dwarf seized it with both of her hands and searched through it, looking, looking - trying to think of which herb would be most beneficial for mending death.

No! She not be dead. She be sleeping. I need a herb ta wake her. I need something ta rouse her awake. No, lavender and passionflower be for a sleeping tonic. Valerian sprigs and verdant root too! No! No, where it be? It be here somewhere. I know it is. I know it. I-- yes! This be it! Bridewort! It be having a very strong, sweet smell. It might work! It might save her! Try it! Try!

The apothecary brought the creamy white flowers close to the dead woman’s nose, held them beneath her nostrils thinking she might react to her sense of smell. When it didn’t immediately have an effect she began to wave the herb back and forth to stimulate movement of the scent. It wasn’t working. Yvonne crumpled the petals inside her trembling fist, reopened her hand to a burst of fragrance that escaped into the air. Even she woke up over it. The herbalist woke up to the fact that Lillian Svalesin was, in fact, deceased. One last attempt with the crushed flowers, rubbing them against her nostrils to be sure. It still wasn’t working so she threw them in disgust.

Pain and guilt. Yvonne suddenly felt like she’d been bludgeoned with a war hammer. The pain wracked her middle, deep in her chest and she keeled over Lilly’s corpse, shaking her softly to rouse her back to life. Softly because she didn’t wish to hurt her, having so much respect for her friend. Her heart felt like it had ruptured in her breast. The little one cried out in suffering, tears pooling in her eyes and spilling down her black cheeks, spattering upon her dead companion below her.

“We never should have come here. I never-- never should have agreed ta this. I-- I shouldn’t have encouraged ye,” Yvonne admitted with a trembling voice. “Why did that death-stick need ta be so important ta ye? Why didn’t I tell ye no, we not be pursuing that wild goose chase rumour? I tell everyone else what ta do! Why didn’t I tell ye what ta do! We could have easily avoided this if we stayed inside tha Graceful Bark. I should have shouted ye another drink and gotten ta know ye better. Now I’ll never get tha chance.”

Anger and bargaining. Eyes of silver drifted toward the necromantic staff resting in the back of the hollow. Yvonne’s gaze leveled on the source of Lillian’s death and all the pain and misery she was suffering. It was a weapon designed for nothing more than killing and murder.

She did not remember walking toward the staff. She simply found herself standing over it, looking down at it. Her black fingers curled around the oaken shaft and clenched, squeezed it with all of her might with the hope the oak would shatter. Yvonne stared into the swirling smoke of darkness that whispered through the gem though she dare not touch it herself. Instead she looked upon it with such… such hatred. Never before had she hated something as much as this black gem.

“YE GIVE HER BACK TA ME! YE HEAR ME!? HOW DARE YE SNATCH AWAY HER SOUL!? BY WHAT RIGHT DO YE TAKE HER AWAY FROM ME! GIVE HER BACK TA ME! GIVE HER BACK! I WON’T LET YE KEEP HER IN YER SOUL PRISON! YE WILL RELEASE HER BACK TA ME OR I’LL BREAK YE INTO A THOUSAND PIECES AND LET HER OUT MYSELF! I’LL BREAK YE! I’LL DO IT,” Yvonne raged at the top of her lungs, screaming every word and still managing to emphasize appropriately. If the black gem had been a person they’d have let Lilly’s soul go. If there was anything an inanimate jewel could do about a dead person it would have done it. Alas, the gem was not a person. The jewel did nothing.

“Please send her back to me,” Yvonne whispered, and once more, “please.”

Loneliness and reflection. Yvonne breathed heavily, so worked up with fury she didn’t know what to do with it all. Her voice wouldn’t help her here. Her screaming wouldn’t help Lilly. The gem wouldn’t listen. There was no response. There was no reply. Her yelling ceased and there was nothing but deathly silence - not one but two corpses for company and neither of them had anything to say on the matter. The silence was overwhelming. She sank into it herself, tears still flowing freely though she couldn’t feel them any longer. She never destroyed the gem after all.

What have I done? How did I let this happen? Why didn’t I do something ta protect ye? Yer life it be! Yer life in me hands and I did nothing but stand here and watch ye die. What kind of a friend does that? Ye helped me with me fears, put me above yerself and I let ye fall. I be so ashamed. I be so sorry. If there be something I can do, anything, I will do it ta save ye. Please, tell me what I be supposed ta do. Please, give me some kind of sign. I’ll do anything for ye.

Yvonne closed her eyes, tears falling once more.

The upward turn. When she opened them again her mind’s eye opened as well. The darkness of the hollow grave was illuminated. Dim, but floating through the darkness were strands of brightening colour. Particles with shimmering tails defied gravity, gradually drifting through the air around her. They were like the glow worms inhabiting home, deep in the depths of her home caves. They were like glow bugs hovering over a swampy marshland in the middle of a peaceful night. Greens, browns and blues which the black void of the mine shaft receded from.

They were surreal. What were they?

Reconstruction and pushing through. Yvonne saw herself step out of herself. She was looking at the back of her own head, upon her straight black strands of hair and ashen-skinned shoulders. If she was before herself then who was she now? What was this out of body experience? What did it mean?

Yvonne watched herself raise her arms and extend her fingers out to the glow worms. She beckoned them to herself, brought them near. Greens and browns, earth and life; they were ushered toward Lillian’s body. They settled upon her corpse and planted themselves like seeds, brightening vividly and fading again as they entered her flesh. Blues trailed along behind them, healing water from the tunnel pond. They fell upon Lilly like rain drops, pitter pattering over her dark as night skin.

Her consciousness observed herself turn toward Lilly for one final act. As she turned she witnessed the glint in her own silver eyes, her own ghostly face in front of her. The silhouette raised one arm this time, her hand bringing together thumb and pointer finger in a picking, plucking motion - taking a single ember firefly from the light of Lilly’s light gem, a single spark. Her ghost cradled the ember in her hands and eventually brought it to the dark elf at her feet. She dispersed her hands over the resting place of Lilly’s heart, the firefly descending down and dancing like a candle flame over her chest. It slowly lost its light, the flame enfeebling as it too seared through her flesh... and then it was no more.

Acceptance and hope. Yvonne truly opened her eyes and could see all as it had been before. The lights had gone out save the light from Lilly’s gauntlet. Darkness had returned to the hollow grave. Two corpses - one of a stranger and one of a friend - and a wicked magical object held so tightly in her hands her knuckles were pale with lack of blood flow. Realizing she’d been gripping the death-stick tightly this entire time she let it clatter to the stone floor.

Nothing had changed. Everything was as it had been. She couldn’t explain what she had seen herself do. It didn’t make any sense to her. It didn’t really matter in the end, did it? It didn’t make a difference. Her friend Lillian Svalesin was still dead. Her mental lapse hadn’t helped her. The dark elf was still motionless, lifeless, a rag doll abandoned - her white hair strewn across her empty face. There had been such potential in this one, such promise, so much to look forward to throughout her unfolding story - but the story had been closed far too soon, the book of her life had been snapped shut…

…

…or had it?

Lilly gasped for air. The breath scared the living daylights out of Yvonne who jumped back-- and fell in the pond! The drow-dwarf mixed breed let out a squeal and caused a loud splash.

Lilthis
05-17-2018, 02:40 PM
Death is hollow, it’s void stretches endlessly while existing on no physical plane. It is ultimately a concept that has become exaggerated in an attempt to make intelligent animals feel as if they are serving a greater purpose. Or it could be the beginning of some new journey. A journey into a new plane of existence, a better place, maybe a place we all start in and like a circle we end in. We know only two things for certain about death. It is the absence of life. It is inevitable.

As blood ceased flowing the circuits in the dark elf’s brain began to slow as well. Consciousness was long gone. If there was an afterlife Lilly had not reached it. If there was a dream state for the dead she was not there yet either. If there was nothing after death then it would be just as it was prior to Lilly’s birth. The world would continue turning, history would not know her name, and she would be unaware of the on-goings of the living.

Fate’s wrath had proven too much for the girl and now her eternal slumber would begin. Much to the dismay of Yvonne.

As the hybrid cursed fate, spat in his ugly face, the dark elf remained lifeless. It was not until all hope seemed lost that something began to awaken inside of the diminutive halfling. Colors and energies swirled and entered into the slate skinned elf, slowly restoring blood flow, energizing organs, and kickstarting brain activity. Lilly stayed motionless for a time, she stayed absent from the realm of the living.

Then suddenly, she awoke inside her mind. It was all black initially. Her insides were screaming in agony as they recovered from the pain of organ shutdown. But from the black inside her head a shape emerged. She recognized it instantly as the small elf, Yvonne, that she had travelled with. Her new friend was accompanied by a soothing of lights that granted warmth and clarity. Threads of colorful rays spread through Lilly’s mind, painting the dark walls with fluorescent lighting.

Lilly’s heart had settled to a slow pace but was now accelerating more and more with each passing second. The spinning lights and vibrant colors in her head faded
out as her charcoal eyelids cracked open to allow the wonders of the living world to return. Her lips parted finally and she took a giant gasp for air. Sprinting painfully through her lungs was fresh oxygen as her body had just been summoned back into use. For now though the stinging was worth it, serving as a reminder that Lilly was not absent. She was alive. Somehow she had been permitted to remain among the living.

Right as her hearing returned the young woman was alerted to the yelp of a certain drow-dwarf as she and the water became acquainted. For a moment the dark elf considered doing nothing. She felt weak after her ordeal, she was confused, and unsure what was even going on. Lilly’s head was splitting, a headache so great that her vision was blurred and her stomach a bit nauseous. The room felt like it was being tossed around in a circle as her arms and legs were numbed. Moving her fingers felt unpleasant as the poison of the staff was still being dispelled. Yes, a part of her wanted to lay there and fall asleep, rest until she did not feel so terrible.

But then the splash of water was fully understood as she remember that her friend could not swim! Meandering to her feet slowly Lilly tried to take one step before falling forward. Impacting with the floor was not a pleasant feeling but she was a bit closer to the cave pond now and only suffered a few minor scrapes on her knees and wrists. She reached out an arm in front of her and used an elbow to drag herself a bit closer to the water’s edge.

Once arriving to the precipice of the rippling lake she extended an arm forward for the mixed breed to grab ahold of. Though she was not capable of much in her weakened state she was determined to help the halfling and at the very least she could use her body as an anchor. Softly she cried out, “what happened? Grab hold.”

Descending into the water her hand dipped out towards Yvonne, hoping to assist. The coolness of the cave’s water felt luxurious on her blackened skin and her body tensed up a bit as she anticipated the grab of her tiny friend. Lilly rested her chin on the ground and her pale blue eyes began to liquify as her mind was processing what may have just happened to her. Maybe she had just bumped her head. Maybe she fainted.

That must be it, a bit of dizziness followed by a quick lapse in consciousness. Surely I did not... die. If I had died I wouldn’t be here right now. Yes, I must’ve fainted.

Lilly laid there, waiting for the half dwarf to come ashore. She wanted to be close to someone else for now. She wanted the smaller elf to confirm it was not what she was fearing. She wanted her head to stop pounding and her limbs to regain feeling. She wanted to get out of this wretched cave.

Yvonne
05-18-2018, 08:46 PM
A small splash, a rippling disturbance through the pond and a little black hand poked up through the water’s surface. Fingers fully extended, reaching, finding Lilly. The half-and-halfling could scarcely see through the dark water - she’d splashed herself in the face as she struggled to keep her head above the surface, so her vision was distorted. Clasping to her companion’s arm the tension throughout her own relaxed, a calm befalling the submerged mage.

With a meek pull at Lillian’s elbow, considerate of her friend’s well being more so than her own, Yvonne made her way to the edge of the pond. Also grabbing onto the dry stone she lifted herself out, dripping all over, cold and wet as expected. Taking a deep breath and holding it, to settle her nerves of the chilly surprise, she exhaled fully to the very bottom of her lungs. Inhaling another tip-top breath she let it out much quicker, feeling better already.

“So happy yer okay. So happy!” Yvonne blurted out, her breathing still a bit unsteady. “I thought ye were done for. Ye were tha picture of health one minute and tha next ye-- ye--” she tried, failed, couldn’t finish her sentence. She shook her head instead, her lip quivering uncontrollably. The drow-dwarf would’ve cried again but there weren’t any tears left to give, her eyes swollen and puffy from earlier emotion. A head shake conveyed her message adequately however - Lilly would gather all she felt and understood, filling in the blanks remaining.

Yvonne would have hugged the weakened dark elf but the little one was dripping. That would make her colder and Lilly didn’t need to be shivering after a close-shave with never ending darkness. No, Yvonne simply sat right beside her and pooled a puddle in her general direction. She needed something else to warm them both up, but how could she do that without first heading back to town? It wasn’t like there were any sticks down here, excluding that horrible necromantic death-stick of course.

“Would ye like some tea sweetheart? Help ye recover yer energy, warm ye up a bit and then we can be heading back,” Yvonne offered, thinking she had everything necessary to improvise some either tucked away in her backpack or here in the flooded mine shaft. Though they’d each be sipping it from her trusty cooking pot - the very same she’d considered leaving behind in her room at the Graceful Bark.

The moral of the story; never go anywhere without yer cooking pot kids.

Lilthis
05-18-2018, 10:41 PM
So it was true. She had nearly met her end. She didn’t want to think about that right now. Lilly would have plenty of time to contemplate her near-death, try to understand how she had avoided it, and decide how best to tackle future endeavors involving magic she did not understand.

For now she wanted to spend a few minutes talking to her new friend. Discussing their lives and trying to make light of the situation that had just transpired. Try to recharge before returning to the safety of Stonevale. Try and forget what just happened, if only for a moment.

Smiling, the dark elf answered, “some tea would be very nice.”

Philomel
06-17-2018, 03:00 PM
Thread Title: Thread Link
Judgment Type: Full Rubric
Participants: Lilthis and Yvonne

Plot: 18/30

Story- 7/10
On first reading this piece, it flows well and has a strong major storyline, which does build and focuses around the staff and the growing friendship of the grey dwarf and the drow; though the latter does seem to be the central focus for the thread. Perhaps in some way it would have been good to see them getting on with the action of finding the staff sooner, as it was so pressed as a subject in the first post, but the build of the friendship is strong in itself. When you get to the mine in post 23 action begins to pick up and from here the story has some great development, mythos made and some moments when the reader was captive. The best moment was when Lillith made the realisation about what the staff’s power and potential was, and the emotions were high here. You finish off well also, on a light note, with potential for more writing together.

Setting- 6/10
Setting was given bare bones, and this was good when giving a basic idea of the town itself, and there were some strong parts when discussing the people around it. However, it would have been good to see some more development here before the main body of the action took off. You do have some good development at the night when they finally step out of the Graceful Bark to get on with the quest. The description of the mine itself is brief and could have had some more development as the journey into it went on, but you do set a good essential idea of what it looks like. There were some great moments here, and there is room for experimenting.

Pacing- 5/10
All in all, you have a good story, but the pacing is a little fast at the start, not allowing enough time to build the setting. Lilthis, I would maybe consider of having the journey on the Interloper having a little longer and dedicating a whole post to it, to properly set the scene. The jump to the pub within the same post does not quite flow well. There is too much jump, and presumption: “And with that the bar maid began helping with other customers.” There is also some jarring when you write in the times of each other’s posts. Saying this, when you get to post 10 things do ease out and pacing becomes a lot more regular. When you get into the meat of the action, it begins to flow well, and the rest of the piece has excellent rise and fall with the action, alongside slowing with the contemplative parts. Just have a look to extend some of the parts that have some of the most tension in them, such as the paragraph beginning, “A slab of the wall descended… “in post 25 where you have the potential to have some great build up of pacing, and odd endings like, post 30 with “The breath scared the living daylights out of Yvonne who jumped back-- and fell in the pond! The drow-dwarf mixed breed let out a squeal and caused a loud splash.” This here could have been more powerful and was a slam-dunk flat end after all the power of the post itself. In general advice here would be to consider how many posts you will spend on certain parts and build a plan before you start writing.

Character: 18/30

Communication- 7/10
Yvonne has a great accent that does not f6lter or drop, and even comes into her internal thoughts. It extends to explaining herself somewhat - “A bright enough light might blind me” in post 18, that adds to the understanding of the character. Lilthis has a less defined accent but does show personality through what she says such as, “if you touch me again with that grubby little hand I’ll remove it,” in post 15, when trying to rid herself of advances. When you also have the conversation of the fact Yvonne has magic and magic in general, there is a good amount of consideration for each other that was developed well because of their night of conversation. There is relaxation in the friendship developing. Overall communication is strong, though on balance there were moments where it dominated a little too much and seemed to be there just to be there and did not build anything into plot or character. This would be something to think about as you develop a little more, but some great moments here.

Action-6/10
You have some great little snippets of action, such as Lilly in post one doing, “Lilly scratched at her right ear before replying”. These can add to character, although the best writing will in general try to make them meaningful and powerful, adding to the story as well as developing the character. Some of them are hilarious, such as the small internal conversation over the fork, and the discussions of both characters therein. Sections such as just looking over the village at night add to the atmosphere and the shape of these characters. There is also some good effort made when adding to the personality and backgrounds of the two girls as they discuss Lilthis’ glove, and when Yvonne needs to massage her head as a cause of the bright light. Action within the mine itself was well written, and though it was not as individual for the characters as in their conversation section, it still had meaning.

Persona- 6/10
Some great lines of persona can be seen here, with little descriptions adding to your character. Yvonne your best ones are in the inclusion of internal thought – Yvonne talking to herself, encouraging and talking herself down - as well as some small comments such as “(with whom she was on good terms)” that put a personal voice into your pieces. Post 12 is also an excellent piece in opening about Yvonne and her life back home. Lilthis has a powerful sense of personality when you write her posts, that do get stronger as the thread goes on. An example is: “Where is this council of ladies who decided what is and is not ‘proper.’” – post 3. Note: this only gets better as you mention the ladylike qualities of her, such as the details with the fork. She also has some internal thought, though this is set out like normal dialogue and so you might want to set this out, so it looks different. Overall persona is touched on but could be developed for both of you. Try to think of how you want your character to be defined, and create a central ‘voice’ for your character in what you write, as this does vary somewhat.

Prose: 17/30

Mechanics- 6/10
Lilthis you have a bit of trouble with correct speech patterns, with two characters speaking in the same paragraph. Strictly speaking, in terms of technique each character should have their own paragraph. See post 1 as an example of this. There are also some spelling mistakes in the piece such as post 15 where “scrapped” should be “scraped” and “breath” should be “breathe” in post 29. A brief read through before submitting for judgement can help here. An option if you are wanting to improve is to make sure also to spell some words, such as “okay” rather than “ok” as this looks more professional, but this is more of an option than anything. Aside from these points, however, your mechanics is there.

Clarity- 5/10
There are a few problems with clarity at the start of the thread, when understanding the interaction between the two characters. You do set it out fine, with a clear indication of the central topic of the thread (the staff itself, and this is done well with the small intro by Lilthis’ first post). However, clarity is lost quickly when lines of dialogue come around posts 5 and 6, where a small amount of back reading is done – namely in the conversation when they are discussing what Yvonne is, and not directly answering each other’s questions. This seems to be part of an issue that you are writing about what happens at the start of each other’s posts and overlapping time scopes, where more successfully it would flow if you eased this a little better. Saying this, things become a lot clearer when you write with less dialogue and let the action carry the story instead. Clarity is fine in the mine itself, and there was no problem in understanding what was happening here.

Technique- 6/10
There are some nice little gems of description in this piece, such as Yvonne with, “illuminating a room kept dim” in post two. This has a nice poetic rhythm to it and brings life to the scenery. Some snippets of technique are seen – I saw some nice moments of alliteration (“dread and dismay” in post 2). Lilthis you have some amazing moments too with, “Vibrant savory flavors of tender fowl” in post 11 where the reader can taste the food themselves almost. Some great moments of humour and uses of simile exist also, such as in post 24 as, “This place was so abandoned even a spider had left its web behind, to collect dust particles.” Some of the word choice did not quite work with the rest of the piece, such as, “tiny, itty bitty” in post 26 where the rest of the language is strong and less colloquial. The end of post 30 is also very flat in terms of tone and had a great build but suddenly died in tension, whereas could have written stronger. Overall though you have some strong starts at being amazing writers of technique and ways to improve would be to explore imagery and word choice.

Wildcard: 6/10
Just going to say – I darn love Dorothy. She is awesome, and I love the way she interacts with the girls and her personality is awesome. She is developed well as a secondary character.

Final Score: 59/100

Lilthis (http://www.althanas.com/world/member.php?348-Lilthis) receives:

1385 EXP!
210 GP!

Yvonne (http://www.althanas.com/world/member.php?319-Yvonne)receives:

1665 EXP!
210 GP!

Congratulations!

If you have any questions, feel free to pop me a PM or find me on discord.

“..There were two undeniable truths in the Realms: It was very easy to overestimate a drow and even easier to underestimate a dwarf.”
― R.A. Salvatore, Maestro

Philomel
06-17-2018, 03:05 PM
All rewards have been added.