PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Voice Typing

Breaker
05-09-2018, 01:23 PM
I'm starting to have problems with my left wrist from typing so much. I tried to use the voice typing feature in google docs, but the option is greyed out and doesn't work on my desktop or my laptop, even though they both have microphones installed.

If anyone has a suggestion as to how I might fix this, or any experience with other voice typing programs, I could use some advice.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
05-09-2018, 01:39 PM
This (https://support.google.com/docs/forum/AAAABuH1jm0LrpNNal_Tug/?hl=en) may help you pal. If not, I'm not sure what to suggest as its always worked on the rare occasions I used it.

Breaker
05-09-2018, 01:56 PM
Thanks for pointing me to that mate. I was using firefox, and it gave me the idea to try downloading chrome... which works. Now just to learn how to use this without getting frustrated...

Philomel
05-09-2018, 05:17 PM
Hey I use a piece of tech called Dragon speaking naturally. It's pretty good and I've been able to write a lot more.

Yvonne
05-13-2018, 11:24 PM
You wouldn't happen to have a link to that Dragon of yours, would you dear? I would like to try, see if it can help me be even more efficient with my writing.

Philomel
05-28-2018, 01:28 PM
Here is Dragon Speaking Naturally on the website of the developer who made it:
https://www.nuance.com/en-gb/dragon.html

I'm not sure what he cheapest version is. I use the home model, though considering moving up to the premium version. It's pretty expensive but you can find some good deals for it on eBay.

Sorry it took me so long getting back on this.

Breaker
06-13-2018, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the link Phi. How would you rate the overall experience with this program? How much of your work/writing do you use it for? How good a replacement for regular typing is it?

My ergonomic keyboard is becoming less effective, and google voice typing sucks at capitalization...

Philomel
06-13-2018, 11:35 AM
In all honesty I don't use it as much as I should. It's a lot easier to sit back and relax when using it rather than the requirement to sit up and type. I know my hands can get extremely sore.

The major drawback is that you have to get it used to your voice. The technology though, saying that, has come on since I first used it over ten years ago and it can now happily repeat what I want it. Mistakes though still happen, and I always need to edit what it has thought I said. For myself though I find this useful as it requires me to go back over everything I have previously written and so my grammar is better. I fully intend to write my dissertation using the software.

Another drawback is that it can lag. The less things on, the better it is, so don't have a full computer scan on whilst you are doing it.

If you want to, I'd be happy to Skype and screen share to show you how it works for me. It is a huge investment, I completely understand that.

Philomel
06-13-2018, 11:36 AM
Note: I use it for writing, but I know that you can use it for controlling your computer, such as using the cursor and pressing g keys, so it has other uses.

Storm Veritas
06-13-2018, 01:19 PM
I'm starting to have problems with my left wrist from "typing" so much.

Dude, you have to stop giving yourself the stranger so often.

:P

Sorry, I can't use voice-to-text. My disgusting Boston accent laughs at Google translation.