PDA

View Full Version : A Featured Quest

Max Dirks
05-15-2018, 03:02 PM
An old friend once told me something that gave me great comfort, something he’d read. He said that Mozart, Beethoven, and Chopin never died. They simply became music. So I hope you will enjoy this last piece, very much. It begins with the birth of a new people, and the choices they’ll have to make and the people they will decide to become... As many of you know, I'll soon be handing over the ropes on Althanas to a brighter, more youthful crowd. But before I do, I have one last gift to give: a return of Althanas lore to the players who've kept the site alive. This begins with a massive feature quest that will forever change the shape of Althanas. Nothing will be out of bounds, and those who participate will have their names, and their character's names, permanently etched into Althanas' rich and expanding history. Out of character, we'll be world building. Together, we'll complete the wiki, fill it with amazing factoids, and release it for the next generation. Then, on the backend, I hope to publish our work as an anthology, purchase a table at DC AwesomeCon, and use any proceeds to fund Althanas for years to come. It'll be a fun ride with ways for players to participate as much or as little as they want.

Stay tuned in here for new, teasers, and updates as the featured quest is revealed.

Breaker
05-15-2018, 03:26 PM
Anthology you say... *dusts off ergonomic keyboard*

Sounds like some great ideas, Dirksy. Let me know how I can be of assistance.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
05-15-2018, 03:59 PM
I am so in. As above, you know where to find me if you want any help mate.

FennWenn
05-15-2018, 04:24 PM
*Intigued ear twitching ensues.*

I am curious for what’s to come, ^_^

Yvonne
05-15-2018, 09:10 PM
*raises eyebrow in anticipation*

I appreciate your quote, Mister Dirks. It speaks to me.

Flamebird
05-15-2018, 09:33 PM
Oooh! Sounds awesome! Look forward to the updates!

Storm Veritas
05-15-2018, 10:15 PM
Couldn't love this idea more. Can't wait!

Garron
05-15-2018, 10:28 PM
So awesome!

Elthas
05-17-2018, 11:03 AM
I'm most definitely interested in this project and I will be participating with at least one of my characters once it's live.

By the by T if you need a artist for anything hollar at me. I've done maps for you in the past and would be glad to contribute more art to the site. Just let me know what's what on Discord! Keep up the great work so far bro.

~Pav

Philomel
05-17-2018, 01:25 PM
Definitely interested

Max Dirks
05-22-2018, 11:15 AM
The title of the FQ has been announced - "The End of All Things"

The title of chapter 1 has also been annouced - "The Obsidian Wave"

Breaker
05-22-2018, 11:51 AM
Any word on when chapter 1 will start, or how long it lasts?

Also, will we be able to do threads that span multiple chapters if we're going for something more epic?

Elthas
05-22-2018, 01:16 PM
This strangely reminds me of the other major feature quest. Forgot the name of it but I think it was the to rule whatever one.

Either way bro good job on the tiltes so far. I am going to heavily participate with one or all of mine depending on the rules for the FQ.

I look forward to working with whoever else wants to participate!!! I'm definitely game for teaming up with people to get things done yeah!!!

Lilthis
05-22-2018, 01:31 PM
Will there be a sign up of sorts? I’m interested in this but think my character will, and rightfully should, play a fairly minor role in this grand adventure. Will be neat if there are multiple threads as Breaker hinted at so that I can possibly participate in a smaller fashion and let the major events be determined by those who’ve spent years keeping this site running.

Max Dirks
05-22-2018, 01:33 PM
Any word on when chapter 1 will start, or how long it lasts?

Also, will we be able to do threads that span multiple chapters if we're going for something more epic?Nope. Frankly, timelines are a bad idea for something like this, so I'll progress the chapters as the 'story' naturally progresses or if threads get too long. Speaking of, I'll probably have threads split even if they are the same storyline to make it easier on the judges (probably myself).

This strangely reminds me of the other major feature quest. Forgot the name of it but I think it was the to rule whatever one.

Either way bro good job on the tiltes so far. I am going to heavily participate with one or all of mine depending on the rules for the FQ.

I look forward to working with whoever else wants to participate!!! I'm definitely game for teaming up with people to get things done yeah!!!To Rule All Flesh. Vague names are great! I do hope you participate. In fact, I hope that literally everyone whos around participates.

Max Dirks
05-22-2018, 01:36 PM
Will there be a sign up of sorts? I’m interested in this but think my character will, and rightfully should, play a fairly minor role in this grand adventure. Will be neat if there are multiple threads as Breaker hinted at so that I can possibly participate in a smaller fashion and let the major events be determined by those who’ve spent years keeping this site running.There will be signups, but for something different than character participation. More on this later, of course. My goal is to let people jump in and out at their leisure. I plan to allow characters to take starring roles, secondary roles, background roles, protagonist roles, antagonist roles, or more administrative roles (both GM type positions and wiki administrators).

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
05-22-2018, 05:22 PM
This is just what the place needs.

Game on!

Amari
05-23-2018, 12:44 AM
I ammmmm in n n.

Max Dirks
05-29-2018, 03:57 PM
The synopsis is up. For posterity, I'll copy it here.

The End of All Things...

5000 years ago, a world spanning disaster washed away the Ancient Gods in a tide of war and fire. From that fire rose the Thayne, and at its height, 90% of Althanas identified as Thaynites. The Thaynites called that disaster "The Great Calamity." Though the influence of the Thayne has diminished over the years with the shattering of the tap, and other religions, sects, and cults of risen and fallen in their stead across Althanas, they all share a single common element in their mythology: a great disaster that created magic and gave birth to their way of life. The events of "The Great Calamity" are lost to time, but old Raiaerean texts refer to the "nyotamkia" and "fukatmaki," the only two words in the Elfish language with those roots. Scholars debate their meaning, and question if they are even Elfish, but the most agreed upon translations in trade speak are "volcano" and "comet." Two weeks ago, as the sun began to shine over Corone, a comet appeared in the northern sky towards Berevar. One week later, Althanas was devastated by a natural disaster. It turns out the oddly circular Lotho Mountains in Lornius were not a mountain range, but rather an ancient caldera for a supermassive volcano. The resultant eruption caused an earthquake that could be felt as far away as Melnach, and created a tsunami that destroyed Serenti on the western coast of Corone. Lornius was completely destroyed with rivers of lava flowing into the ocean. The entirety of Northern Althanas has been covered in a relentless ash cloud that threatens life throughout the land.

Is this the coming of the apocalypse? An opportunity for the evils of the land to gain a foothold? A time for heroes to rise up to protect Althanas? A passing disaster that will one day be simply a footnote in Althanas' storied history? Only you can decide…

Max Dirks
05-29-2018, 03:59 PM
You'll note two things. 1) Rather than create an antagonist, as was the case in To Rule All Flesh, I created a disaster. How your characters respond to the disaster - be it the rise of a super villain, an invasion of Corone, an arms race for Obsidian, the death of gods and magic - is up to you. 2) I've destroyed the two parts of Althanas that I'm largely responsible for: Lornius and Serenti (which I expanded on as part of my time as head features administrator). The future truly is yours.

Breaker
05-29-2018, 04:04 PM
*Gears up*.

Elthas
05-29-2018, 04:32 PM
Balsy moves on both counts, Tony.

I'm gonna participate heavily with all three of my characters. I am looking forward to doing collabs with anybody fro this project. This should be pretty good stuff.

On another note I wanted ask a question. When the event is ready do ALL of our current threads have to like reflect the events going on? Or is there gonna be no retroactive type of dealio? Meaning woudl we have to like go ahead and start up current/newer threads while the event is active??? I'll ask questions as I come up with them.

The natural disaster angle is actually a pretty legit idea.

Nevin
05-29-2018, 04:53 PM
Oh, I'm definitely going to be getting in on this. I do have a question for you Max:
How far is this stretching? You state that 'Northern Althanas' has been covered in this ash cloud, how far down is that extending? We have Lornius and part of Corone damaged by the volcano and earthquake that spawned the tsunami, and then the ash cloud coming down from Berevar - is it hitting down into Eiskalt, Salvar, all the way down to Raiaera and Alerar?

FennWenn
05-29-2018, 05:01 PM
Nev asks the good questions!

For my part, all I have to say is this; ice beats fire. Fite me, volcano.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
05-29-2018, 06:33 PM
Did someone call for a Shinsou?

Max Dirks
05-30-2018, 12:52 AM
When the event is ready do ALL of our current threads have to like reflect the events going on? Or is there gonna be no retroactive type of dealio? Meaning woudl we have to like go ahead and start up current/newer threads while the event is active??? I'll ask questions as I come up with them.Nope. Liquid time would work like normal. One goal of mine as part of the event is to create a working timeline of Althanas from early history to as far in the future you’d want to go. The idea is to use liquid time to do so.

Max Dirks
05-30-2018, 12:56 AM
Oh, I'm definitely going to be getting in on this. I do have a question for you Max:
How far is this stretching? You state that 'Northern Althanas' has been covered in this ash cloud, how far down is that extending? We have Lornius and part of Corone damaged by the volcano and earthquake that spawned the tsunami, and then the ash cloud coming down from Berevar - is it hitting down into Eiskalt, Salvar, all the way down to Raiaera and Alerar?For our purposes, Northern Althanas consists of everything but Kebiras, Dheathain, and Melnach. I’m thinking initially that the ash cloud would be so vast that nuclear winter could be one route for you to take. Restoration of the tap, or simply a strong arctic wind to blow it away can be another. I’m just trying to leave enough possible storylines as I can to ensure everyone can take small or large roles.

Amari
05-30-2018, 01:05 AM
I'm down with Amari and eteri and ayaka

Philomel
05-30-2018, 05:20 AM
So no Lornius means no Terrinore. Damn, there goes a future thread idea of mine. That means all the criminals there.... Are they dead or have they escaped? Or is that something to be revealed? How big is the ash cloud itself?

Also is this a canon idea? Because this will change everything for everyone.

Philomel
05-30-2018, 05:25 AM
I'm in with pretty much all my characters. I'm currently working on a thread to kill off Philomel so it'll be Veridian there as my main character... with a dragon. Which will be interesting.

Stare's in too

Amari
05-30-2018, 05:47 AM
I imagine yes it is canon, but liquid time is still a thing as Dirks said so if you had a thread idea you can still liquid time that stuff
:D

If anythign is encased in lava I don't see much of it surviving.

...*lava character starts to form*

XD

Nevin
05-30-2018, 06:39 AM
For our purposes, Northern Althanas consists of everything but Kebiras, Dheathain, and Melnach. I’m thinking initially that the ash cloud would be so vast that nuclear winter could be one route for you to take. Restoration of the tap, or simply a strong arctic wind to blow it away can be another. I’m just trying to leave enough possible storylines as I can to ensure everyone can take small or large roles.

Oh my. Northern Althanas stretches a lot further south than I thought. Well now! I've definitely got thread ideas for this.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
05-30-2018, 07:03 AM
So no Lornius means no Terrinore. Damn, there goes a future thread idea of mine. That means all the criminals there.... Are they dead or have they escaped? Or is that something to be revealed? How big is the ash cloud itself?

Also is this a canon idea? Because this will change everything for everyone.

It's a featured quest, so my guess would be yes.

Arden
05-30-2018, 07:09 AM
Can we have some indication of when in liquid time this'd be happening?

Philomel
05-31-2018, 01:22 AM
Yes to the canon, cool.

Is it up to us then to decide if Terrinore prisoner have escaped and might be running free; or is that something you are going to reveal later? Or was Lornius (along with Terrinore) destroyed absolutely outright?

Yvonne
05-31-2018, 03:28 AM
The future truly is yours.

It's up to you dear. Explain how one or more prisoners survived an erupting volcano. That would be an awesome read, especially written by you.

Zack Blaze
05-31-2018, 07:52 AM
Terrinore hasn't been used as a prison since way back when Dirks was the ruler of Lornius guys.

Do yall even Lore?

Philomel
05-31-2018, 08:15 AM
People have been using as such, I think one idea was that there was part of it that inspired it to continue. Something something.

A super prison is often pretty awesome in world building anyway.

What I'm thinking though is this could open up for some Pompeii style exploration and discovery after the ash settles, which will be pretty awesome.

Flamebird
05-31-2018, 12:52 PM
Ooooooooh! Don't know how active I'll be being this month, but I like this!