PDA

View Full Version : Of Forest Elves and Humes. (Humans)

Elthas
05-18-2018, 02:46 PM
(Solo/conditionally Open to one or two others. Contact me BEFORE posting here for this project.)

The Past...

"It is time." A voice called out to the gathered. Xu Bellaparte looked much younger those days, full of hope and promise. He looked at the healers and medics, the pregnancy had gone on well through the night when the Mother, Ellysia Bellthasar had gone into labor. Her husband, Halm Bellthasar...a Hero of great repute stood by her side the entire time. Healers worked the arcane arts to ensure that Ellysia made it through the intensive labor process. She'd broken her water several hours earlier. Friends and family of the Bellthasar clan watched the on going events. Xu worked his own power to strengthen Ellysia whilst she faced her trial.

Halm remained silent the entire time providing a sense of comfort to the gathered. Halm was a Hero in accordance to the laws that bound his people and that bound Corone herself. Sweat trickled down his handsome face, but he made sure he would be there for the birth of his Son. Halm stood by her side every step of the way. One of the meidcs walked over towards Halm.

"You need food. Halm. It has been two days since last you ate." The medic said with notable concern.

Halm looked her calmly. "I will eat when my Son enters this world." He rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "Until then, so long as my wife suffers, I will be by her side. Without complaint." Halm said, he meant that too. He was an Elf who spoke with powerful meaning. He'd earned a reputation for himself as being a stalwart leader, and Hero of his people. But there was more to the story.

"What is the name of the child, have you two picked one yet?" The medic asked.

"Elthas." Halm responded, and was confident that it was a good, proud name for one of his people.

"A handsome name." The medic responded.

A few hours later, Elthas rested in the arms of his Mother and Father, it was a traumatic experience, but Elthas and the Mother both survived attesting to the endurance of Clan Bellthasar.

That was twenty years ago by Elven reckoning. Elthas paced back and forth outside of the House of Clan Bellthasar, eagerly awaiting the news. The mail carrier arrived right on the eight hour of the morning, as was the standard routine. The mail carrier was a Hume, a man of Corone. He had a stern face but kind eyes. He stepped off the horse that carried him when he arrived at House Bellthasar. "Ah, my boy. Ya're always here when I arrive." He had a rough accent, thick with Radasanthian flare.

"Do you have it?" Elthas tipped his fedora to the fellow, he'd become fast friends with him.

"Aye, the parcel ya requested is here." The mail carrier walked towards Elthas and handed him a package. "How is your Father these days?" The man asked out of the blue.

Elthas hesitated. "...Do not speak of him." Elthas suddenly said. "That man is dead to me." Elthas felt his eye twitch in a momentary anger. But he cooled himself down, the man before him was not to blame for the actions of his Father...Halm had taught him to protect the innocent always. Clan Bellthasar upheld the code of the Hero, and following that Code was more important than ever. "But forgive me, I speak of personal matters."'

"Ya lot are daft sometimes...but family is family. Ya don't have to explain." The mail carrier nodded towards Elthas. "Ya're a good boy, there are many evils in this world. I hope that whatever it is ya are getting into won't be your undoing." The man, shook Elthas's hand firmly. "Be careful lad, many dangers in Corone these days." And he walked off to finish delivering the mail for the rest of the town.

Elthas frowned a bit, but he knew the odd mail carrier was correct. "I have to prepare for the coming storm." Elthas looked at the wrapped parcel in his hands. It would be the key to locating his Father...and ultimately undoing him. "If that man is still out there, I have to prepare and only he can help me defeat Father." Etlhas thought out loud. He turned back towards Bellthasar House and began to walk back to it.

There was storm brewing...

Lilthis
05-19-2018, 04:43 PM
Traveling with The Vestige proved to come with certain advantages. Lilly never had to think about where to go next, she would have others to converse with, and she did not have to concern herself with ensuring she was carrying ample supplies. However, traveling alone came with other unique advantages. The Vestige mostly stuck to Raiaera, believing that the rest of Althanas faltered in comparison to the magic of the High Elven home. Now, freed from the rules of their order, Lilly could finally see Concordia.

A supposedly luscious forest filled with life, historical ruins, and likely some forms of magic. If she encountered the arcane here she had come prepared to look but not touch. If the mysteries of magecraft eluded her on this journey that was ok too... the young woman severely needed a bit of sightseeing. The Vestige never took vacations.

Dirt was trampled under the dark elf’s boots as the aromas of pollen and tree sap filled the humid air. Vibrant shades of greenery dotted the horizon, a reminder of the might of the Concordian trees. Noisily surrounding the Alerian elf was the song of birds and the buzzing of insects. She continued along the paths as she was instructed when she stepped foot upon the soil of Corone. “Don’t stray from the path,” was the warning issued.

This would be much more pleasant with a few less bugs and some cooler weather, the young woman thought as she wiped a tinge of sweat from her forehead.

Opening a compartment on her gauntlet she shot a quick glance at the compass housed near her left wrist. She was still heading due west, as intended, a bit off center of the rising sun. Her eyes moved over slightly to view the watch she built, informing her it was late morning. As she tinkered with her device thoughts distracted the young elf. Where would she go after this? Should she continue with her study of magic or pursue a safer area of study? Come what may.

Lilly’s thoughts were interrupted by the sudden change of scenery. There were still trees but they seemed... different. Lived in. She had read books that the old elves lived in trees, like squirrels! But she was almost certain that the old elves had left those ways behind. It seemed so odd. Living with vermin, always smelling of pine or elm.

Old elves are very strange.

She stood there, mouth agape, in the town center. Her dark complexion out of place amongst the paler tree elves. The mail carrier noticed the lovely dark elf and nearly stopped to speak with her but his duties would prevent him from taking a break to satisfy his curiosity.

Elthas
05-20-2018, 11:50 AM
Elthas was about to enter his ancestral home when something happened.

His mind stopped for a moment and he felt a pang of emotion. This...sensation... Before he knew it reality shifted in his mind's eye as The Great Tree blessed Elthas with a vision of sort. He saw a great battlefield that was before him. Blurred, full of fire and blood...an oppressing sort of image. The sounds of conflict and weaponry filled the air as a host of Elves descended upon a rogue military outfit. The leader of that outfit...? Elthas could only view in horror as he saw that he was about to kill his own Father. Halm Bellthasar...the betrayer. A voice filled his mind.

"Son of Bellthasar." The Great Tree whispered in his mind. "This is a great tragedy that must not come to pass. Halm has a much deeper role to save in all this. ~Save HIM~. That is now your sworn duty to me." Elthas watched himself fight Halm for a long moment and then the vision faded. He placed a hand on his forehead as a feeling of light-headedness struck him.

He had to sit down someplace as the feeling was almost overwhelming. He was relatively near to the woman who had just arrived and well within plain sight. Elthas blinked a few times and turned around seeing the dark elf for the first time. And was enthralled by the specimen before him. Elthas held no inherent racism towards any of Althanas's people. He simply respected all life. He stared at her as the feeling of being intensely light headed came to pass. He adjusted his fedora for a moment and looked at the woman. Then he remembered his manners. A man of House Bellthasar never keeps a lady waiting. Halm's teachings echoed in the back of his mind. He walked over towards the dark elf, a handsome woman, and nodded towards her. "Hey there...." His voice was still a little broken after the intense vision he'd just witnessed. Maybe she triggered it somehow...? Elthas wondered if there was some connection to her arrival and the boon's manifestation.

He cleared his throat for a moment. "Sorry it's been a long day." They were rapidly approaching lunch hour and Elthas realized he had not eaten anything yet. He wondered if the lady before him would appreciate some company. "My name is Elthas." He introduced himself, and offered her his hand.

Nearby, through one of the Bellthasar Clan's house windows, Ellysia stared. She had a calm look about her as she looked at the interaction between the Dark Elf and Elthas. "...It begins." Elthas's Mother had a role to play in the events to come and that would be important. She stopped observing the activities of her son and the stranger, and went to prepare food along with the manservants that served House Bellthasar. A meal was in order...she always trusted her instincts. It was how she initially met Halm Bellthasar in the first place.

Lilthis
05-20-2018, 05:39 PM
Several important thoughts still lingered through the curious dark elf’s head. Do these elves eat nuts? Are they good climbers? What do these forest dwellers do for fun? Wouldn’t rain be a huge issue on their home’s infrastructure? How do they cook without burning down their homes? Most importantly, don’t beetles live inside of trees?

The woman shivered a bit, I hate beetles.

Before her stood a bewildered looking tree elf. As his voice wavered slightly she could tell that something had bothered him. Lilly was pretty certain it was not her presence that jolted the man, though truth be told she had that effect on men from time to time. No, it was something else. Something had concerned him before she even arrived. Perhaps their treehouses had termites, that’d be quite alarming.

Looking the wood elf in front of her over she nodded and gave him a terse reply, “Right. I’m Lillian Svalesin, but you may call me Lilly. Nice to meet you.”

She shook the male elf’s hand. Typically the slate elf was not very good at first impressions. Being groomed in noble sel darthirii circles meant having perfect manners and with her new life she tried to be less formal, more... ‘commoner.’ This often resulted in slumping elbows and a lack of eye contact. Plus the fidgeting, usually a result of her nerves. At least she spoke confidently, the result of regurgitating the same false greeting numerous times.

The forest elf seemed friendly enough. He dressed nice enough and his eyes were welcoming. But Lilly kept herself guarded. She didn’t trust elves, not after what happened with her former comrades. Not after the snickering and mistrust she received. Plus most elves had no respect for technology, for her work.

For now though it was nice to meet another soul after traveling alone through Concordia for a few days. The sun’s rays only peaked through the rare gap in the tree line, causing it to be quite dim and eerie for the solo traveler. There were a lot of bugs, occasionally crawling on her flesh to her disgust. Being back to civilization was refreshing. If you could call a bunch of elves living in trees civilization.

She released the man’s hand and adjusted her right glove which had slipped a bit off her fingers. No doubt causing a strange handshake for this new fellow. Clearing her throat she questioned, “so you lot live in these trees?” There were several other questions she had but for the sake of pleasantries she’d reserve her curiosity... for now.

Elthas
05-21-2018, 10:09 AM
For some reason...her question threw Elthas completely off guard.

Who doesn't live in trees...? He thought for a brief moment. But then looked at the woman in her eyes, she had a fierce intellect and determination. He smiled calmly feeling somewhat relaxed in her presence. He always did enjoy socializing and making new friends. He rubbed his chins. "It's a tradition." Elthas began to explain. "My people have long made the great oaks their homes. The trees in this area make for particularly fine homes. My house is right there." Elthas pointed towards the large tree that was behind him. There were windows visible, and a door to enter and some lanterns about. It was all in all a beautiful scenery. "I live with my Mother and my siblings there." Elthas considered the next part of the day quite carefully.

"By the way, have you eaten yet today? My Mother cooks very well, I have picked up a few tricks from her as well." Elthas said calmly. "I'd like you to come eat with us if you are able to." Elthas said, inviting her to his family's ancestral home. Noticeably, Elthas never once mentioned his Father. That injury was still too fresh in his mind. The great Hero, Halm Bellthasar... Elthas frowned upon thinking that. But he decided to let the wayward thought go. He looked at the woman and waited for her response...he wanted to get to know her a lot better. Mayhaps...he'd made a friend that day.

Lilthis
05-22-2018, 01:13 AM
Tradition is no friend to progress, the inventor reminded herself. It was certainly quaint but if all elves lived in trees there’d be no railways, no airships, and no marvelous cities. But still, if these old elves preferred living in trees who was she to judge?

It was amusing to consider how communal societies continued to be. This entire family lived inside of a tree. Lilthis assumed most of her older brothers still lived on their family estate. If not for the dangers, she’d likely still be living with her own family. The more we change the more we stay the same.

His home was a large, wide tree with twin torches ablaze to greet the dark elf. On the long stretching branches of the great tree she could catch the dashing of birds and chipmunks. Inside the windows of the mighty oak Lilly could observe the moving shadows of life and glimpses of furniture. It all seemed rather intriguing, this harmonious union of the civilized with the wild.

His gesture of kindness was appreciated. Lillian was not a good cook. She could roast meat to be safe for consumption, she could boil vegetables if needed, but her penchant for cooking ended at making dishes edible. Never daring to get close to the line of ‘tasty’ or ‘delicious.’ The tinkering dark elf had many other skills to keep her occupied and devoting her time to improve her talent as a chef seemed like a waste. It was much easier to let those who already learned the craft cook for you.

The Alerian smiled brightly at the hospitality of the elf, “I’ve not yet eaten. I would love to take you up on your offer for food if it’s not much trouble.” Lilly used the heel of her boot to scratch the back of her ankle before adding, “thank you, it’s good to meet kind folk in these woods.”

I wonder if the inside of their home smells like tree sap?

Elthas
05-22-2018, 12:55 PM
Elthas tipped his fedora hat gently in a relaxed gesture.

He was a rather tall individual, the Elf kind usually were tall and lithe. Elthas had slender facial features, common to his race. His eyes had a gentle glow about them, but there was a notable sadness in them. The weight of some recent trauma lurked on his shoulders. Elthas wore fine clothing, he was a gentleman at heart. That day, when they first met, he wore all black. A standard Vlince outfit cut in the popular Radanth noble style. It was a double-breasted suit with a high collar. Elthas did not wear a tie at all, instead, he wore a simple locket with the Bellthasar signet emblazoned upon it.

Elthas carried ornate daggers as his primary means of defense...though he knew not the arcane arts. Elthas was more than capable of defending himself with the gifts of his people. He gestured calmly for......Lilly that's a nice name... He thought to himself as he motioned for her to follow him inside. Them forest folks were indeed a daft loft...living in trees after all.

Elhas opened the front door to his home for Lilly follow. He would wait for her to enter before he entered after her. His thoughts were quite calm. Elthas thought back to his recent adventures, the journey he'd undergone with the boy, Vaeron. During that adventure, Elthas had discovered the truth about his Father. Father had betrayed them all. As he thought abou the Boon the Great Tree had given him, he wondered what was meant by that vision. He would have to bring it up with his Mother at some point...but first the order of the day. Must be polite to our guest. Not often we get many visitors from Alerar these days... Etlhas thought to himself as he waited for her to enter. He wore a small smile on his face the entire time.

Lilthis
05-22-2018, 11:20 PM
Hesitation proved to be an ally to the elf of Alerar. The tree elf towered above Lilly as she was shorter than most other dark elves. Not half-dwarf short, but still shorter nonetheless. Looking up at him as he moved to open the door of his home she noticed the signet locket adorned around his neck. Perhaps it was a family heirloom. She was feeling cautious in the wake of Elthas’ silence, clearly distracted by something that was far away from lunch with a stranger. To contradict the lack of words though the tipping of his hat and his smile indicated he was still welcoming to the foreigner.

Lilly crossed through the boundary of his abode. The inside of their home was more spacious than she had anticipated. Of course, it still looked like they were inside of a tree but there was furniture, a rug, and modest decorations. It barely smelled of oak in their home. Barely. In addition the home was well lit and abuzz with movement from the other members of clan Belthasar. Turning from the lobby of his home Lilly’s eyes went back to the forest elf’s face.

His expression was solemn, focused, she raised her concerns, “are you ok? Something seems to be bothering you.”

She hoped that she was not being rude but it would be difficult to converse and eat with someone who was living on another plane of reality. The thin shaded elf did not wish to be a burden if this was bad timing on her part. On the contrary, if her presence was inconvenient she could depart.

It was always difficult though for Lilly to read people. Especially non-Alerians. If this wooded elf was a machine she could de-construct it and learn its secrets. In his current state though he simply confused her. Was she bothering him? Had she intruded and his manners were too great to dismiss the woman?

For now she tried to focus on the aromatics of what she assumed to be lunch.

Elthas
05-23-2018, 01:12 PM
He paused for a moment as she entered the ancestral home of his family.

The question lingered in the air between him. True, something ate at his mind...but it was a personal something. How should I respond...? Elthas rubbed his slender chin for a moment and looked at her square in the eyes. "You are not a bother. I was merely thinking of something that has recently happened. Something that has affected all of us a considerable amount." Mainly...Father's betrayal left a hole in Elthas' heart for sure. As he stood there he placed his jacket inside a nearby closet after a moment.

The inside of the home was very spacious and there was indeed a lot of furnishing. There was a mysterious connecting force that allowed those Elves to live in a perfect harmony with nature herself. Lady Y'edda of the wild. Elthas smiled after a moment and took off his hat, placing it on a small table. He looked at Lilly. "Food should be ready. My Mother's cooking rival's that of most accomplished chefs in Radasanth." Or so he had been told. He didn't know what Alerians ate. He only knew that Concordia Forest provided all that they needed to survive. Elthas adjusted his posture for a moment and guided Lilly towards the kitchen area where the strongest smells of cooking and food was located. Elthas seemed more relaxed as he entered their ancestral home.

He looked at his Mother, Elysia, and his brother, Drathis. Drathis was easily a head taller than Elthas and built much more muscular than Elthas proper. Elthas was built more for speed, Drathis was built for pure strength and power. There was a clear contrast between the brothers. Elthas looked at his Mother and several of the other house servants as they prepared various food-stuffs. "Mother, we have a guest." Elthas said plainly, introducing his friend.

"I know. The woman from earlier." His Mother said in a mysterious sort of way. She motioned for one of the other cooks to take over her spot, notably, the old stove was built INTO the tree itself. It was not a technologically advanced item...but rather, Elven relicry at work. Notably, all of the Elf kind in this area had long, angular and pointy ears. Elthas hugged his Mother and shook his Brother's hand for a moment. He nodded back with respect. The family was actually quite fond of one another.

Elysia walked over to Lilly. "My dear, you must be very hungry from your journey to this area of Concordia. Thankfully, we have prepared a bountiful harvest of a meal." Elysia moved to shake Lilly's hand in a warm greeting. Elysia was a fair skinned, almost alabaster skint-toned woman. She was quite graceful and seemed to have a glow about her. The old ones of Elthas' tribe called that glow a halo, or an aura of energy. She wore home attire that was adequate for cooking. She removed her simple apron and placed it on a nearby hanger. There were paintings of various members of Bellthasar Clan around the abode. There was also a spiraling staircase that headed upwards...and downwards. To layers of the house that were located beneath them. "Come sit with us, our table is always welcome for more friends of the family." She said calmly, in an almost sing-song type of voice. Her voice was accented and had a small singing style audible in it.

Elthas looked on as Elysia interacted with Lilly. "My dear, what is your name?" She asked of Lilly.

Elthas did not want to impose and introduce Lilly without her permission. So he merely waited for her to introduce herself first.

Elthas noticed several of the chairs at the table were empty. Particularly, the head of the table was absent...and would be for some time. For a moment he frowned thinking about his Father. But for now, they would enjoy a meal with friends and family. Elthas moved a chair for Lilly to take when she was ready, and he sat down on hi sown chair for a long moment.

Drathis looked at Elthas and nodded. "Saw you with the delivery fellow earlier." He said calmly. "Did you get the parcel?"

Elthqas nodded. "Yes. But we'll talk about it later. Right now let's just spend time with on another and eat good food." At that point when he looked at Lilly, Elthas began to sing. In another life, Elthas had been a Bard for a period of time and some of that skill set carried over in his current incarnation. He began to sing in the elder tongue of his people, the song was for Lilly primarily. But also, singing, helped him calm down and think of happier moments in his life...like that one. He smiled as he sang.

Drathis chuckled a little. "You should take up full time studies as a Bard again."

Elthas nodded. He kept on singing for Lilly as the servants of the house began to serve the well cooked meal. Elysia stood in front of Lilly as they spoke.

(Note: Lilly feel free to bunny ANY NPC's they are for your use as well. I am really enjoying working with you keep up the good work!)

Lilthis
05-24-2018, 12:02 AM
Hm, something is odd, at least it isn’t me.

The inquisitive elf admired the stove which was carved into the oaken walls of the tree itself. She surmised that the oven must be lined with stone or steel. Possibly enchanted? It would be far more impressive if it were non-magical as the sheer ingenuity of coming up with the stove’s design had her brain’s full attention. The smoke would need to be dispersed through a chimney but if the chimney was under the branches it would stain the leaves or set them ablaze. It must’ve been an enchantment... or else she had just not noticed a chimney above the tree line. Was it possible that it could funneled the smoke underground? Lilly wiggled a bit awkwardly as she tried to peer over the various elves to get a better look at the stove.

Her examination of the cooking apparatus was ceased when Elthas spoke of the Alerian to his mother. Initially the mother elf worried Lilly with an ominous comment but she followed up with a gentle greeting. The mother elf asked for Lilly’s introduction and distracted by her thoughts the dark elf started, “Lilth-,” she shut her lips before exposing the slimmest bit of her tongue and continuing, “ahem, excuse me. I’m Lillian Svalesin, but you may call me Lilly. Nice to meet you.”

The dark elf’s rounded face housed her sparkling blue eyes as a strand of thin white hair grazed past her cheek, falling off her left ear. She transferred her right hand to grab ahold of her narrow left elbow, squirming her face a bit as she hoped her impression was not ruined by nearly speaking the wrong name.

Elysia seemed a bit confused but followed equally, “what great manners dear. I am Elysia, thank you for joining us.” The pale elf mother went back to put a few last minute details on the lunch she had prepared. One or two dishes missing salt or a dash of pepper.

Elthas gestured for her to sit and she fell into the moment as she fell into the chair. It was unusual for her, to be eating a meal at a table with a ‘family.’ For the past few years she spent most of her meals in the presence of Faellint in a hovel or among mages around a campfire. Sitting at a real table with a group of people was a refreshing change of scenery for the young dark elf.

When Elthas’ brother raised questions of a package, it piqued Lilly’s interest. This ‘parcel’ sounded important. As she was about to inquire about it the tree elf stared at her and began to sing.

Old elves really did annoy Lilly. Most of the elves within The Vestige were interesting enough. They practiced magic, they were experts at it. These elves were simple elves with simple dreams. Living in these woods, never questioning what else was out in the world. The caricature she was forming in her head of this family was a culmination of her upbringing and the injustice she faced trying to prove herself to the traditional old elves from The Vestige.

Regardless, she sat listening to the elf’s song. He did have a nice voice but she was fully perplexed as he received praise from his brother. Did he expect Lilly to join in? She couldn’t sing. She definitely was not going to sing inside of a tree. She had standards.

Lilly looked back at Elthas and during the climax of his song she loudly exclaimed, “I can’t sing.” Her outburst brought bewildered looks from the various members of clan Belthasar. As soon as she received the disapproving looks the inventor realized her error. He was not looking for a sing along, he was trying to show his talent. His gift.

Before she could apologize lunch arrived at their table. Steaming piles of sliced turnips, crusted venison, and baked fruits filled the oak home with scents of paprika and sweetness. As the members of the house began to help themselves to the bountiful meal Lilly waited until most had filled their plates. She then grabbed utensils and topped off her own plate with a modest serving of every dish, careful not to overeat. The Alerian was very appreciative of their generosity but she was not going to abuse it. That would be unbecoming of a proper sel darthirii.

As the group chewed and munched through the meal before them Lilly thought back on the postman referenced earlier. Her mouth was filled with the texture of savory venison but her thoughts were filled with the possibilities of what this parcel could’ve been. A normal person would have let the passing comment go. Not Lilthis. She was absolutely determined to unravel its importance.

She took one last bite and as soon as the seared fruit passed into her esophagus she formed the words she had contemplated for what felt like hours, “what parcel did you receive? If you don’t mind my asking.” The curious elf smiled and tilted her head, hoping that her charm may squeeze the truth out of the forested elf.

Elthas
05-24-2018, 03:48 PM
Her outburst...stunned Elthas.

In all his days, never once had his singing solicited such a reaction. Have I offended her in some way? Elthas did not know then, but he hoped he would find out someday. He immediately stopped singing and was about to speak on the situation. However, lunch was ready and that came first. They ate in peace and quiet conversing over various adventures of late. Notably though, Elthas remained quiet the entire time he ate. His eyes were still stunned at her sudden outburst. For Elthas, it was the same as a slap across the face. He ate quietly and once he and Lilly were together, alone again, he looked at her. She asked about his parcel he'd received earlier.

Elthas nodded at her. "I hope I didn't offend you with my singing...I didn't even think to ask if you liked it or not." Elthas seemed sincerely hurt by her reaction. He really hoped he had not offended her in some way. As she asked about the parcel...he nodded again. "The package I requested from some friends in Radasanth. I was trying to get a specific set of information about...a certain someone." Elthas explained. How could he begin to tell her about the prophet, Nenkulor Shima? Further...he did not want her to bore her with the Thayne Codex. "The ally I refer to is one of them Prophet folks. A seer...damned good one too." Elthas rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "I can show you the parcel if you'd like to see it?" Elthas sat down on one of the sofas in the living area. He awaited her response, he hoped he could smooth things over with Lilly.

Her reaction had hurt him...a lot. In the future he would be more careful about singing around her...

Lilthis
05-24-2018, 07:38 PM
Elthas looked dejected. As if his confidence itself was ripped out from under him and trampled upon. Lilly had not intended to offend him but then why was she being so uptight. This had been the first time she was interacting with elves since her travels. She needed to put the past behind her. It was unfair to treat all elves how she treated those elves. These tree elves, though strange, had been nothing but kind to her. She felt the sting of regret for her hasty caricatures.

“You did not offend me,” she answered honestly. There was no good recovery from her at this point. Though she could try, “I misinterpreted your intent... I’m sorry, your voice was quite nice.”

Better not dwell on your social failings.

This parcel was far more interesting than the dark elf’s rude behavior anyway. She meekly asked the taller elf, “a certain someone?” It was obvious he did not wish to specify who this someone was, she would not push it any further. But she was curious and if he would share freely then why not try it?

Of course, then there was the mention of a seer. This set the gears within Lilly’s mind to work as she toyed with the gears on her gauntlet. Prophesy was certainly interesting but Lilly was uncertain of its validity. Could most of it be vague coincidental scams? It was also possible that it was a form of magic waiting for her to unravel. But if there was magic that allowed glimpses into the future it brought about questions of the nature of elves and men. Was a prophet viewing the singular and unavoidable future or was it one of many futures? Lilthis did not like the idea of ‘fate.’ Predetermination meant freewill was an illusion. She would never accept that.

To avoid further social disasters the slender elf quickly added, “it’s ok if you do not wish to talk about it! I would like to see this parcel if you’re willing to show me.” The Alerian woman sported a glowing smile, hoping to relax the nerves of her forest host.

Elthas
05-25-2018, 01:46 PM
Elthas nodded at that point after he heard her suggestions. "Yes...I can show you it." Elthas removed the wrapped parcel from his packs. It was a decent sized bundle wrapped in simple brown wrapping paper. It was bound with a basic ribbon of sorts. The parcel's top portion had a seal...a family crest marked upon it that was not the Bellthasar symbols. It was from an entirely different clan or guild, but the Radasanth markings were also there. The word, in basic common-tongue, read "Requested". Elthas placed the parcel on a small table that was in front of them and began to unwrap it. He was careful and delicate not to break the particular seal that was stamped on the package's wrapping.

As he opened it, the contents were reveal. There were several documents present, including a fancy map of something specific. The calligraphy of each document was high Radasanth in nature. It seemed like some sort of official documentation, or legal papers. "Clan Shima is a house of Seers." Elthas explained. "Nenkulor is especially good at finding lost things. People included. The package contains detailed information about a particular individual I needed information on. MY FATHER." Elthas explained, and put a little more emphasis on that last part than perhaps, he meant to. Elthas explained he was tracking his Father's movements in a fort that was once used to house Radasanth soldiers...long ago.

Now it has devolved into a place where bandits a traitor group resided in.

Elthas still could not accept that his Father had betrayed them all. He explained that recently, he'd encountered his Father in that fort leading the rebel army. During that encounter, Elthas had cut Halm Belthasar's face quite badly and the action would have left a scar even if their best healers worked on it. What he'd requested in the parcel-form was a series of maps and documentation. Information that dealt with the exact specifications of the old fort. Further, he'd requested his Father's service records within Radasanth's army. Once, Halm had been a servant of the people and protector of the innocent. That life seemed very far away to Elthas now. As he showed her the documentation he nodded towards her. "They are planning something. Many will be harmed if their plans are allowed to occur. I cannot allow my Father to do what they are going to do." Elthas explained. He looked away from Lilly for a moment, and frowned. "If it comes down to it, I'd kill my won Father to prevent the worst."

He sighed at that point. Heavy footsteps came from nearby as Drathis, his Brother, walked over towards both of them and helped himself to a seat. "You mean to really do it then? Kill our Father?" Drathis asked with an unusually serious expression on his face.

"If he leaves me no other choice." Elthas considered that. I'll try to reason with him if that is possible...try to get him to listen to reason. Maybe I can still save him. But he did not speak that out loud. He merely thought about that situation. He took out the maps of the fort and showed that to Lilly. "These are the maps I was talking about earlier. It is heavily guarded." The last time he'd encountered Halm there, they'd barely been allowed to walk away with their lives intact...but things were different now.

Lilthis
05-26-2018, 09:03 PM
Drathis loudly waltzed into the room at his brother’s contemplation of murdering his own father. Lilly’s eyes grew wide and her mouth curved downwards to manifest her disapproval. It sounded sincere and honorable, the wood elf wanted to keep others safe. But killing ones own father? What sort of quagmire had she walked into.

Elthas presented his dark elven guest with the maps of the fort. Removing them from the tube they came in and unrolling them flat on the wooden table. This table was interesting as it seemed to be part of the tree itself, clearly when the home was constructed they cut around this section to leave this table. She traced her left index finger around one of the maps while the chemicals in her brain went into overdrive. Before she devoted too much concentration towards the fort of bandits she wished to clear up one thing.

Placing her hand flat on the table she looked up to meet Elthas and while staring directly into his eyes she stated, “I don’t know about your history, and it’s none of my business, but killing your father sounds extreme...” The girl took a deep breath and moved her stare to the taller elf’s feet before saying, “I’m willing to help you but I don’t want to be involved if your aim is to kill your own dad.”

Lilly missed her father. He had spoiled her all her life and she knew it. The tinkerer never saw him cry until the day she left Alerar for her own safety. Lilly wanted nothing more than to see her own father again. She was not prepared to help someone kill their flesh and blood.

The young woman’s azure eyes focused on the map further. As her mind contemplated options a few plans formed. She rubbed the tip of her tongue against the roof of her mouth as the question was posed, “is this the only road into the fort?” She drew a finger across the line on the map and then added, “do you know how often your father leaves the fort? How many accompany him when he leaves?”

Lilthis was naive, sure. But she knew that sometimes killing had to occur. However, if she could aid this man in simply capturing his father then maybe she could prevent a needless loss of life. Make a small difference in the world and pay for the lunch.

Elthas
05-29-2018, 10:21 AM
Elthas considered the weight of what was being said.

You mean to kill him...kill our Father...? The thought repeated itself in his mind. "I don't know." Elthas said calmly. He felt a weight on his shoulders, surrounded by friends and family he felt entirely alone in that matter. He knew ultimately...the choice would come down to him alone. Elthas looked at Lilly. "I appreciate you guys." He said calmly. "I don't think I could handle this situation alone. It would drive me nuts." He said casually. He relaxed against the back of the comfortable sofa style seat they were on. Drathis sat opposite Elthas on an elegant chair.

Elthas rubbed his chin gently. "Either way this matter will not get dealt with immediately. It will require a lot of planning and resources. Right now is not the time." Elthas looked at his friend, Lilly. "I am thankful that you'd accompany me to meet my Father." Elthas thought back to the vision The Great Tree shared with him briefly. He sighed. ...What should I do? I don't have any answers. He felt confused and lost but being near such great friends and family comforted Elthas. "Lilly, did you enjoy my Mother's cooking? I didn't get a chance to ask you that." Elthas turned towards Lilly, he wanted to include her in everything...it felt right.

Drathis smiled as he saw that and stretched in his chair. "Well if you two are going to remain down here for a while I got business to take care of. I got to work on my own sword-arm and continue my training. Elthas, when you've decided come meet me at the usual place." Drathis said casually, got up and left.

Elthas nodded towards his Brother as he left. He turned towards Lilly at that point and waited for her response to his question. For whatever reason, Lilly's presence comforted the fellow and he liked having her around. If she wanted to remain in the village, Elthas could see to it that she'd have a place in Bellthasar House.

Lilthis
05-30-2018, 01:30 PM
Obviously he was struggling with what he believed to be inevitable. Lilly picked up on it, the tree elf did not want to discuss his father any further. She allowed that conversation to sink into the floor as he changed subjects.

“I enjoyed the food,” she replied in a satisfactory manner. Lilly’s heart rate slowed and her mind calmed as her thoughts traveled away from subduing the taller elf’s father. Her gaze adjusted back up towards Elthas as she spoke, “I liked the fruit the most. Thank you again for having me.” She placed both hands into her pockets and reclined into a cushioned chair near the oaken table. Her head tilted back and slate eyelids shut as she allowed her thinking to ease.

The dark elf took in a deep, purposed, breath. There are some who enjoy moments like this, alone with thoughts to relax and organize themselves. Lilly could not stand it. She needed to distract herself with a goal or cause. When she was alone she blueprinted designs for some new creation or traced the steps required for assembling watches or engines. Anything to snuff out wayward thoughts. They could be unpredictable, they could force her to think about matters best left alone.

Opening her icy pupils the young woman rose to attention. She stared intently at Elthas. “Your home is nice, I hope I’m not being a bother, your brother seemed eager to discuss something with you,” she was ready to engage in some form of productivity to settle her nerves. She had vomited out that last sentence, subtlety was not one of her strengths.

Lilly stretched her arms towards the ceiling and yawned. It had been a long journey to the elven village, taking a brief rest was nice. She was, however, anxious to see what this taller elf was planning with his brother.

Elthas
05-31-2018, 03:07 PM
Elthas smiled when Lilly complimented his Mother's cooking. The cooking skills in his household rivaled that of most of Radasanth's chefs. Elthas stood up a moment or two after Lilly did and he also stretched. He took his feodora hat from a nearby position and placed it back on his head. He looked at Lilly at that point.

"Yes. Let's go see what Drathis has in mind." Elthas said calmly. He didn't like to interrupt his Brother's training. Those sword wielders were always a prideful lot about their sword arms. The usual spot...huh? Drathis was always a fairly dramatic man about that stuff anyway... He grabbed some personal belongings. His daggers were always by his side. Where Drathis used single swords for his combat proficiency, Elthas favoured knives.

Most importantly, Elthas viewed those knives as a family heirloom.

They'd been constructed for him by his Father. Halm Bellthasar. They were not heavy to Elthas...they were a memento. Elthasa adjusted his hat so it was at a slight angle and he smiled at Lilly. "I like good clothing. Always try to dress to impress." He smiled as he said that. His Father's teachings would always remain with Elthas to the day that he died. No matter what his Father had become.

"After you Lilly." He opened the door for Lilly and waited for her to leave the tree house before him. Elthas saw his Mother out of the corner of his eyes and he nodded with respect towards her. She nodded back and moved back to another portion of the house. The thought repeated itself in his mind. Do you really intend to kill our Father...? Elthas was confused. He didn't have any answers just then. Ultimately, he did not want to kill his Father.

But if it came down to it...

Lilthis
05-31-2018, 10:51 PM
He smiled and Lilly felt a bit of joy. It was nice to be in the midst of a family again. Though this family was not her own it wouldn’t cause too much harm for her to revel in the moment. Pretend as if she belong here. She enjoyed acting like she belonged.

“Thank you,” the ingenious girl issued as she crossed through the boundary of his home. Out onto the lawn of grass, pine cones, and mulch. She was eager to unwrap the mystery of Drathis’ secrets; she did not wish to miss a second of this tale. Maybe she’d even steal a glance of his swordsmanship, study his talent.

The darkly colored maid waited there on the precipice of the rest of the township, among the multi-colored foliage. In the welcome mat of House Belthasar it seemed only polite to wait for the native elf to escort her to his brother’s ‘regular spot.’ That seemed more productive than walking around aimlessly.

Turning back towards the oak tree hut she questioned, “Elthas, do you mind if I ask you something?” Without pause the girl’s face split upwards into a huge smile and with full confidence she inquired, “do you tree elves always invite strange dark elves in for lunch?”

It was asked in jest. Hopefully he would understand the humor.

Elthas
06-02-2018, 10:12 PM
The question raised an eyebrow. He thought about that for a moment and considered her point of view, but he saw the kind expression on her face and figured it to be a light-hearted sort of statement. Elthas pondered for a moment and answered. "We hold no prejudices toward anybody, and folks are welcome here." Elthas said calmly. He had a smile on his face a she looked at Lilly. "That reminds me, before we go talk to my brother, how long do you intend to stay? I can prepare a guest bed room for you." Elthas offered. He was the polite sort of fellow, and he didn't want Lilly to go out and stay in the local inn if there was room in his house for several people to comfortably sleep.

Elthas nodded. "Either way it goes, I'm glad we have become friends, Lilly. It has been some time since last I have had a true friend." There was the boy, Vaeron, but he had not heard of the fellow in some time since their last adventure together.

There was a soft breeze coming in from the west. Elthas turned to look in the direction of the breeze, it was an old habit of us. Staring directly at the wind. His eyes narrowed for a moment and then he turned his attention back towards Lilly. "Are you considered beautiful by your people?" Elthas suddenly asked. He had to know more about her people. He'd never been able to talk to an Aleran before, let alone a "Dark Elf". He'd always hated that name. To him Elves were all Elves. What made someone a High Elf as opposed to a Dark Elf, anyway? Elthas oft wondered. He only knew about how his own people did things, they were more laid back. Maybe it was the tree sap's scent that made them that way? Elthas didn't know.

He was walking with Lilly and soon, they'd stumbled upon Drathis training with his sword. It was a weapon that had also been constructed at their Father's command. "Drathis." Elthas said calmly and held a mischievous smile on his face. "Your swing arm has gotten more solid and stable."

Drathis took one more swing, it was fluid and practiced. A moment later, he sheathed his weapon, his sword was constructed in the mysterious Elven smithing arts. Not quite blacksmith arts, and not quite relicry...but a happy fusion between the two arts. Their father, Halm Bellthasar, had ordered the weapons made for his children. "You two have come." Dratthis said, and turned around to face Elthas and Lilly. "Nice to see you've made a friend, Elthas. Will she be staying with us for a time?" Drathis asked of Lilly.

"I'm not yet certain, was asking her that earlier. But hopefully she agrees to stay with us while she is here." Elthas had a softer smile on his face. The afternoon sun shone brightly overhead...few clouds were visible. But there was that wind again, coming in from the west. Elthas noticed it....

Lilthis
06-06-2018, 11:18 PM
How long will I stay? I was just passing through, I don’t intend to stay. As nice as it might be to sleep in a bed rather than on the cold ground I need to draw an end to this vacation from reality.

“I’m not sure if I will stay the evening,” she was so bad at dealing with people. Lilly wanted others to like her and it made her awful at saying how she truly felt. Re-opening her mouth resulted in a re-organization of thoughts, “I could stay I suppose.”

Damn it. Why did I, no, I can’t spend all of my time in this elf village. We’ll see what his brother is scheming and then I’ll bid my adieu.

As the new elf and the old elf trampled upon grass and fallen leaves anticipation arose as she continued to think on what Drathis was going to say. Maybe he had already come up with a plan to deal with Elthas’ daddy issues and then I, being the genius that I am, can step in and offer some truly keen insight. The breeze stepped in, interrupting her thought. Its cool winds did offer something new to the conversation, it clearly scrambled the wood elf’s brain.

”Are you considered beautiful by your people?"

Initially the dark elf was taken aback and stricken with confusion. Surely no sensible person would ask that. She must’ve misheard him. When the seriousness of his words set into her the shock and awe was turned into sheer anger. Lilly’s forehead furrowed. Her eyes narrowed.

Who does this tree elf think he is? I am Lilthis Shadefell. I’m one of only twenty-seven dark elves with pure white hair. Most drow claim their hair to be white when in reality it’s some shade of off-white, tinted more on a blue or yellow side of the white spectrum. I’ve had suitors since I was twelve. My family’s pale blue pupils are the lightest shade known among any family in eastern Alerar! I have a round face, a thin waist, and I’m very chaste.

Yet, this... creature asks if my people think I’m beautiful? He has eyes. Can’t he tell himself??

The dark elf, who may or may not be considered beautiful by her people, took a large gulp of oxygen and released it back out. Her face still scrunched she answered his question tersely, “yep, a few of them think I’m pleasant on the eyes.”

Maybe his brother had something interesting to say. Lilthis crossed both of her arms and shifted one foot out further than the other as Elthas complimented his sibling. This was the worst tree village she had ever been to.

Elthas
06-10-2018, 02:31 PM
Elthas listened to her response....Did I say something I should not have...? He sighed. Before he could say anything else, Drathis spoke again.

Drathis looked at his brother, and then towards Lilly. "Elthas, last time we met Father he called off his followers so that we might not be killed. You cut him anyway. I think father was trying to spare us a really terrible fate." Drathis continued. "There's something else, they have been making repairs to the fort and modifications." Drathis rubbed his chin, deep in thought. "We got lucky last time, but I don't think we will be lucky again. Though this is ultimately up to you." Drathis cared about Elthas a lot and he was trying to ensure that he talked some sense into him.

Elthas considered the words very carefully. He sighed. "Regardless, it's getting late in the day anyway." Elthas said calmly. "If I head out, I intend to head alone. I don't want to involve anybody else more than necessary. Last time there was too many of us and father turned out to be a traitor. He didn't need our help at all." Elthas would talk some sense into his father if he could, but he knew that the older Elf had chosen his own fate.

Elthas shook his head. "Regardless, there's not much we can do today and I have to study the maps and effects anyway. Maybe I can find father and talk to him alone." Elthas was conflicted, he did not know what to do at all. He hoped that the answers would come to him before a decision would be made. He just wanted his father back with them...but he had made his choice hadn't he? Elthas looked towards Lilly. "Sorry for involving you in this family mess. You've been very patient with us this entire time. What do you want to do for the rest of the day?" Elthas asked. He didn't ever want to be rude to her. He was trying to include her in everything despite the cultural differences. He really did not mind...he liked having her nearby.

Lilthis
06-12-2018, 04:39 PM
The sun was shifting towards the edge of the horizon now as sunlight’s glimmer started to fade out. Likewise, happiness itself seemed as if it were fading from Elthas. As he spoke to his brother, in this village surrounded by family, he was adamant about handling his dispute with his father by himself. It felt a bit sad, though far too often those who seemed to be surrounded by those who cared were the most alone. She did not know the details but could tell it was personal. A rather lonely endeavor indeed.

But she could not stay here to see how it played out. The dark skinned prodigy needed to continue on, finish conducting her studies on the varieties of magic and arcane objects. There was little she could do to help further. Although, maybe, there was one possibility...

Elthas asked what she wished to do and her mind went back to its original hypothesis. A trap, no need to kill one’s own supposed caregiver if you could entrap him. Thin lips opened to form the words, “I want to help you in creating a snare.” Running a slender hand into her sack she retrieved her quill and parchment. “I can jot down the instructions, show you how it would function,” the tinkerer imparted.

Her mind already memorized the design. A thin rounded rope, activated by trip wire, intended to entrap prey. It likely would not function as precisely on a full bodied elf but it could buy time to wrap the victim in tighter bindings, if Elthas chose to use her idea.

This was normally how she operated. There were some who could give themselves unto a religion, a lover, or a cause. She had to set goals. To distract, to avoid her from thoughts of family, of back home. Right now her goal was to leave Corone and pursue rumors of a necromantic staff. But, at this very moment, her goal was to assist the tree elf with his problem. She did not know why she felt compelled to do so, but her compulsion pushed her onward.

Scribbling on the parchment she explained, “see, you tie the rope like this.” Drawing the circle she continued the line outwards to two bracing tree trunks. “You’ll then need to set up the trip wire as such... hey, are you paying attention?”

Her time with the tree elves was enjoyable enough. Though she were leaving Lilthis was certain that their paths would cross again. Maybe she would get to ask Elthas if he had used her snare.

Elthas
06-20-2018, 02:15 PM
In his simple mind, Lilly had become more than ally.

No...Lilly was a friend.

He watched her put together the contraption she called a "snare". Elthas knew very little about how engineering worked and her explanations were quite precise. He paid attention as best as he could, but the more complex portions of the contraption flew right by him. He was not an idiot by any stretch of the imagination, but he was not versed in complex technological items was all. Elthas admired her handicraft as she worked to put together the snare. It was interesting to him seeing the woman work with her hands. That's a nifty skill set to have. I wonder if all Alereans work like that..? Elthas recalled thinking that while she worked.

When the time had come that Lilly had to part ways with Elthas and his family, the fellow knew he'd made a friend. In the dangerous times that those were, friends would become very very important down the road for coming battles. When Lilly took her leave, Elthas watched her walk off into the sunset, he tipped his fedora towards her as she walked off. Drathis noticed that and walked up towards him. Elthas had a small smile on his face as he watched his friend walk off to her next adventure. We will meet again...someday.

"You like her. Don't you..?" Drathis suddenly asked.

It was a warm afternoon that day when Lilly ventured back towards Concordia Forest on her own. Elthas looked up and saw the blue sky. For some reason a thought entered his mind. What if there were no more skies like today...? The thought echoed in his mind. Perhaps a foreshadowing of things to come. The question lingered in the air for a moment or two between Elthas and his brother. Elthas looked at Drathis for a moment. "She's a friend, Drathis."

Drathis grinned at that point, and ran his hand through his hair. "You like her though." Drathis repeated. "I can see it in your eyes, Elthas."

"Drathis...if I did it can't be addressed until another time. Either way, having a friend is a good thing is it not? Why do you think I have to be romantically inclined to liking every female we come across?" Elthas asked.

"It's just...you have not had a mate since Hilda Terrentius." Drathis knew speaking that name was still a sore spot for Elthas.

"That was a long time ago. Not that it matters anyway...she's gone now." Elthas never really liked talking about the past, especially about her...about Hilda. Elthas looked at his brother. "Tomorrow I will seek council with the village elders." Elthas suddenly said.

"The dreams are getting worse are they not?" Drathis asked.

"I don't understand it. But Elder Xu believes that The Great Tree has chosen me for some great purpose. I don't know about all that. But I do know the nightmares are getting worse." Elthas frowned at that point. "I've been dreaming about father."

"You've told me that a few times. Been happening since last we met him, yes?" Dtahis asked.

Elthas could only nod.

"Yeah...I know very little about those daft magical arts. The Elders would better advise you than I could. But I am certain all these matters are happening for a reason. If Elder Xu thinks that you have been chosen, perhaps there is some stock in that." Drathis said.

"...I don't feel like a prophet though." Elthas said carefully.

"Perhaps. But you do have the gift of foresight now. Use it wisely, Elder Xu will be able to instruct you better besides. Anyway, Elthas let's go find something to do. Standing around discussing such philosophical matters is hurting my head." Drathis tapped the side of his skull for emphasis.

Elthas chuckled at that. "Fair enough my brother. The day is young yet. Let's see what adventures are to be had today." Elthas said calmly and the two walked off into the depths of the forest elf town...

Elthas' thoughts were on his recurring nightmares and the fact that they were getting worse. If something was not done soon, Elthas was afraid he would go insane...

~FIN~

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
06-21-2018, 04:29 AM
Elthas receives 1355 EXP, 135 GP and a simple snare made for him by Lilthis!

Lilthis receives 1145 EXP and 145 GP!

***Note: Although a "series bonus" was requested, this has been put on hold due to the fact this is only the first thread in the series. Once the second thread has been submitted we will then look at any continuity bonuses.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
06-21-2018, 04:31 AM
All rewards added!