PDA

View Full Version : An Alternative Method For Gaining A Girlfriend

Professor Charles
08-02-2018, 01:48 AM
contains language. Sequel to Considering The Apocalypse As A Thing Unwanted

I leant back in my large office chair, staring at the ceiling as my megalomaniac brother from ancient times paced the floor before me.

“But it's impossible Char,” he kept repeating, over and over again.

Sighing, not for the first time I lifted a hand to my temples and massaged them, beginning to feel a nauseating headache growing. I had neither wanted, nor summoned Morningstar here, but as was his apparent will now, he kept appearing in my life, now that I was back on the mortal plane and he knew of my freedoms. Not that he exactly wanted me to be entirely free. Swearing my fealty to him was always on the agenda, but after an initial incident of being abducted by this self-styled Prince, there was less of a chance of me giving in to that.

Instead, we had a deal. He had somehow bargained for my mystical, dark power from my previous subjugator - the King of Hell. I did not know what bargain he had made; in all honesty I was not interested. What I wanted was my power, and Morningstar would supply me with it, segment by segment, so long as every victory in saving the world from the impending apocalypse I attributed to him.

Which had been fine, for me. What was not fine was him turning up at my lectures, office and doorstep every second day, ready to moan about something else. Mostly it was him trying to to further persuade me to join him, or speak about his new hobby - finding the rest of our siblings. This was the fourth time, and right now he was speaking of our brother Morpheus, the primordial who was capable of aiding restless gods to sleep. He had disappeared from our lives over three thousand years prior.

“Morn, I genuinely need to work,” I muttered from under my hand. “You cannot keep showing up like this.”

He twisted around, and I caught his glare through the gaps between my fingers, where hairline cracks of light filtered through, bright in the afternoon sun that glowed through my bow window. Slowly I lowered my hand with a sigh, looking at him straight.

“I still have students, I have duties. Some of which I am barely holding onto, thanks to my extended vacation, that you forced me on.”

He shrugged slightly. “I would do so again. I might do if it benefits me.”

“Yes, well next time you plan on taking me prisoner again, please give me a forewarning,” I replied sarcastically.

Morningstar just nodded once. “I will,” he said, perfectly seriously.

“Right, great,” I rolled my eyes, knowing that he would stick to the agreement, but in his methodological way. Meaning, I could have two seconds warning before I was dragged to his court again. Rolling back my shoulders I looked down at the papers on my desk and began to lean forwards. “Anyway, I have work to do, so come back later.”

Professor Charles
08-02-2018, 02:04 AM
I began to lift my hand to take up the ingenious fountain pen on the desk. Barely had I twitched it than a thin chain burst from the arm of the chair and snapped around my wrist, dragging it back down. Raising my brows I looked at him, completely not amused.

“Now is not the time. I have forty essays still to get through, each on a varying subject.”

“You should give up this occupation,” he snarled, waving his hand around the room roughly. “This life. You're a god, not a … teacher.”

I tightened my jaw, narrowing my eyes at him. Breathing in slowly I focused dark energy of the void around my wrist, letting it trickle out of my palm, directing it towards the chains there. With a push of force I caused impact, and sudden, eerily calm, bell-chimes of metal sang out as the chain was shattered. There was a sharp intake of breath as I lifted my hand and did not look back at him. Slowly I flexed my fingers, nodding once, and reached for my pen.

This time I was able to take a hold of it, without retaliation.

“We're not gods,” I responded quietly, “We never were. You just wanted to always be one. We cannot create life, we are not omnipotent.”

“We are close to gods as you get,” he spat, anger in his tone.

I shook my head slowly as I leant forwards, eyes skirting over the first pages. “No, Morn. There are those far stronger. We may have existed since the beginning of time, but we are not powerful as they are.”

“You mean you are not as powerful as I am,” Morningstar seethed. “You know I can make those chains stronger. I can make you weaker.”

I was perfectly aware. He held my power in hostage, for when I had succeeded in at least partially completing my side of our bargain. Looking over the first page I took a moment to read the first few lines. It was an essay on the student's chosen question of how the early worship of Ama’leh influenced ancient architecture. The student in question was also studying construction and according to her lecturers in that subject highly skilled in the theoretical side of the technology involved. Personally, I was highly interested in this essay and what delights it might hold, and as I read the first paragraph my heart began to race with excitement.

I could, however, feel his eyes burning into the back of my skull. After I finished the short introduction I let out a groaning sigh and placed the pen down to sit back, glaring at him.

“What?”

“Why are you working? Our deal was for you to go and 'save the world’. In my name. You should have given up this stupid occupation and devoted yourself full time to-”

“What? Making you look good?” I threw an exasperated hand at him.

He looked perfectly serious and nodded sharply. “As you agreed to. I have half a mind to shove you in that cell as you suggested, it would be better use to me than watching you teach.”

“I never asked you to come here,” I replied, tersely, “I did not invite you to my lectures, nor into my office. Unfortunately, as I have a normal life now, and the need to pass as something akin to a mortal, and so I have a job. That I like. Now I am working on my research for your project, which I can show you if you really want. But for now-”

But he was standing suddenly still, and his eyes were blazing with white brightness. A smile flickered across his face, and I felt exotic desire ooze from him. His dark chocolate hair seemed to dance as he drew himself taller, and the smile extended into a grin. It was a picture that was saying far cry from the mighty warrior who had waged war against ancient deities, but it was still my power-hungry younger brother. I fancied myself one of the oldest, having stepped from Khaos long before many of them.

The reaction was clearly an affirmative. Grunting, I stood, and grabbed the satchel from by my desk. Morningstar watching with silent eagerness as I stuffed the papers into a pouch, then into the satchel. The pen I left for it was not entirely necessary as I had many the place we would now proceed to - my home. He stepped towards me as I moved from around behind the desk, as I reached for the door.

“This better be worth it, Char,” he stated. “I have other things I could be doing … you could be doing.”

“As I have made very clear,” I scowled at him, “I am not giving you fealty. Not now, not-”

And I pulled open the door.

Then stopped, stunned. Outside it a young woman was paused, wide eyes staring. By the way she was frozen solid and the way her hands dug into the strap of the back, it was clear she had been there for some time. Eyes wide and mouth parted she stared at me as I realised who she was and that there was no way to immediately understand how much she had heard.

“Miss Ayna …” I said awkwardly.

For it was one of my most familiar, high achieving students.

Professor Charles
08-02-2018, 02:26 AM
“Professor …” she breathed.

It was clear by the way she spoke that she had heard rather too much. The vague story of my being a tiefling and being much younger than I actually was crumbled into dust before my eyes. Slightly, I grimaced, immediately blaming Morningstar in my mind because it was the easy thing to do, and then understood it had been nobody's fault. I was smarter than to act upon my instincts.

What needed to be done was figure out how much precisely she had learnt. I began to step forwards, to invite her into the office, when Morningstar reacted. Curling a hand around my shoulder he pulled be back sharply, casting me back into the room. Rolling my eyes I began to protest, but he was already there, right before Ayna, glaring at her.

“You're a student of his, clearly,” he snarled at the drow.

Ayna swallowed, and I saw her eyes take in Morningstar with hesitation. Of course, she had seen him before, at the back of my lectures, and even dared to call him 'handsome’ once, but this time was different. Now, he was full of fury and power, skin beginning to blossom crimson as if splattered by blood.

Grabbing her shoulder suddenly he yanked her into the room.

“Morn-” I began but he held up a hand to me. Cutting off, I sighed as Ayna was forced between myself and Morningstar, her body stiff in a mixture of shock and uncertainty.

“Professor …” she repeated, mumbling to me, her silver eyes filled with anxiety.

Morningstar slammed the door behind all of us, before he stalked towards Ayna. “How much did you hear?” He asked her, anger in every phoneme.

Ayna just stared at him, wide eyed.

“How much?!” he demanded, smacking a hand down on my desk. It shuddered, violently. I placed my head in my hand, sighing.

The young drow whimpered. “Enough,” she mumbled.

Morningstar curled his lip. As silence fell I lifted the hand from my face, watching as he slowly took a step towards her, ridding the space between them in an instant. The look in his eyes was maddening, as if hellfire had taken up residence in his soul. Hands came up, reached for her …

“Stop,” I said quickly, and quietly.

He stilled in place, rearing above her shivering, thin form. Slowly his eyes shifted, his face twisting in an arc to swing over and glare at me. Pausing at the corner of the desk I was merely a splinter in relation to his vast forest of power, yet I was still his brother, and he had listened to me for the past weeks.

Professor Charles
08-02-2018, 02:26 AM
Back at him I stared, impassively, my chest rising and falling as I breathed. “Stop, she's … Ayna, step away from him.”

But the girl did not move. In fact looking back now I realised she could not move, likely out of fear mostly. Morningstar, however, did lower his hands, face curling into a snarl. “Charon."

A sharp intake of breath came from Ayna. Calmly, I looked at her, bringing a smile to my face. “Ayna, please ignore my brother. I think you should tell us what you heard, take your time with it.”

The young drow swallowed hard, her eyes flickering back over to the fearsome form of my brother. She shivered slightly beneath his raw prowess, then ducked her head before she took in a breath and looked back to me.

“You're … you're not tieflings,” she sighed.

I paused, frowning a little. The sigh was odd - not what I had been expecting in the slightest. It was full of disappointment instead; raw and unbidden. Blinking twice I folded my arms across my chest.

She noticed then, the tone in her voice. Gasping lightly she raised her hands before her and shook them. “Ah, s-sorry professor. I meant that, tieflings are fascinating, you're - their culture. Everything. I thought …”

Morningstar burst into laughter suddenly. Throwing him a dark look I scowled as he spluttered.

“She - she was interested in you, not your tedious waste of a subject.”

“It's not a waste,” I muttered.

Ayna suddenly came to my aid, “oh, no sir, I am still wanting to learn.”

“But you forced yourself to gain interest just to get closer to him?” My brother was being horribly cruel.

She stopped, her coal black skin, if it was possible, going pale. Slightly, she bit her lip. “I …”

Morningstar grinned, then he looked right to me. “Well. There's no point in you staying here, anymore, brother. We should be going.”

“One student not being truly invested in what I teach is no reason to leave, Morningstar,” I snapped. Though my heart burned in my chest, aching with discouragement. Ayna had only wanted what she thought I was, the supposed lifestyle and behaviours. Not what wisdom I could bestow. My pride in inspiring the next generation had diminished to some significant degree.

Twisting away from her I looked to Morningstar. “Get rid of her memories, if you want,” I said darkly, “I am heading back to my home.”

There was a mumble behind me. “I didn't say I did not care for the subject.”

I raised my brows but kept my back to her. There was a pause.

“What did you hear exactly?” Morningstar said in a bold voice: now he was being the reasonable one.

She pulled in her breath. I was hesitant to care as she had already hardened my heart with the admittance of not being enthusiastic about the subject purely because it was what it was; wondrous. Nay, instead she had to like tiefling me, fancy my fake species.

“I … that you are not tieflings, but rather some beings from the beginning of time. That you are saving the world. That he … you want him in a cell?!”

My jaw tightened slightly. Silence reigned for a moment before Morningstar replied.

“Well. I do not want him there. I'd rather have him working for me. As for saving the world …” he growled, “that's his desire. Mine is … different.”

Professor Charles
08-02-2018, 02:28 AM
“Oh,” was her reply. Then in a whisper she added, “so - what are you?”

“The term is 'primordial’ drow-girl. Beings whom that thing,” I could almost physically feel the jab of air as he gestured towards me, “believes were born to serve gods.”

“We were,” I finally answered, turning around to fix him a stare, “that was the purpose, as described to me by Erebus.”

“Erebus, sir?” Ayna breathed.

Morningstar rolled his eyes and waved a dismissive hand at her. “One of the old gods. Shush now.” He concentrated back to me. “Erebus actually said that?”

I nodded, “I've told you that before, Morn.”

“Bah,” he said, “now, do we keep her or rid of her?”

I frowned. “Keep?” I said at the same time as Ayna.

Morningstar paused a little, then looked past me to her. Eyes slowly blinked, before he took a small step forwards and he tilted his head as he gazed at Ayna. Twisting around again I also looked at her.

“Yes, keep you,” he grinned, showing his sharpened canines, pure white in his crimson-flecked skin. “You want to keep your memories, then … you do errands for me.”

I was stunned in that moment. Apparently nothing was too much for this man. Not only did he want me, but also my students. My lips parted and I took a small step forwards to speak, watching the listlessness on Ayna’s face and the disbelief in her eyes - but Morningstar shot up a hand to halt me in my step.

“Well?” He asked, sharply.

“I have had my mind messed with before,” Ayna whispered. “I don't - don't want that happening again.” And she wrung her hands on the strap of her satchel. “But you cannot force me to do anything.”

“Tell me true,” Morningstar lifted a finger and jabbed it at me. “How much do you care for him now?”

Care for me? Bah. That was not so. I rolled my eyes and muttered under my breath about the old stereotype of unrequited love between student and professor. It was an age old tale, and one broken in reality by my not being a tiefling. Now I was dull in her eyes.

“I …” she mumbled.

Morningstar stared hard at her. I prepared myself for the absolute rejection. It would be damaging to my psyche, but I would bare it as I had. Many terrible things had happened to me in the many hundreds of years I had exited.

“Well? I can tell when you are lying.”

I was not sure if he could or not, but with his ability to take powers, it was perfectly possible.

Suddenly she looked down at the ground, cheeks blazing a scarlet grey - an odd thing on a drow. Then I paused, realising what her reaction meant. My jaw fell. I was staring, unsure of what was being communicated here, because I was in utter shock. She still … despite knowing I was not a tiefling, she still liked me. And possibly more, from the way she was glaring at the ground.

Suddenly Morningside burst into laughter. My eyes swung over to him, wishing him out of my sight as I had every day thus far. Scowling deeply I hissed at him, as he spoke again.

“This is your test of loyalty, then. Go to Charon’s house, find whatever papers and items he has for my project. Then bring it back … to my court.”

“Your court?”

“Yes, my court,” he nodded. “This …” he fumbled for a moment at his beeches, before pulling out a small stone, “will get you there.”

She swallowed tight as he held it out to her. Slowly her fingers curled around it. “Okay.”

I glanced at Morningstar, narrowing my eyes a little. I had been going to take him to my home myself. This was a twist in plans.

Professor Charles
08-02-2018, 02:29 AM
“Charon will tell you where to look.”

“He will not be coming with me?” She asked, horrified.

My eyes narrowed on my brother. He grinned. “Of course not. You need some persuasion. And the amount that you care for him … clearly. Oh yes brother, a warning.”

I frowned, confused. What was he -

Morningstar waved a hand. From the air a heavy set of manacles appeared - heavier than the ones I had worn before. A sharp intake of breath came from me and I scuttled backwards, loosening my arms. They followed me however, darting straight for my wrists. Grabbing the side of the desk I attempted to flip over, gaining away from them, before Morningstar clicked his fingers.

The manacles vanished from the air - then directly appeared on my wrists. Barely had I time to hear the click of metal as they settled. My hands were cursed, the manacles moving them like I had no will upon my own hand, and clashed together sharply. My heart began to race, and I hissed darkly, as chains sprouted from the ends of the manacles and fled forwards, towards Morningstar.

Easily, he plucked them from the air. I felt a guilt descended on my shoulders as I was dragged forwards to his side. I stumbled off the desk, irritated at myself for even daring to fight in that moment. I attempted to rip my hands free, but there was a clear sign he had used stronger chains this time. As he had promised.

“Fuck you, Morn,” I cursed, as I struggled against them, leaning as far as I could away from him.

He barely showed any emotion as he curled the chain tighter around his hand. Ayna by now was backed up against the wall, her eyes blazing with wide fear.

“This will be your persuasion,” he said in a bored voice. “You were concerned about him being in a cell … well, there he will rot until you bring me what I want. You do not tell anyone about this, you do not even show any pause for concern. Understand?”

Ayna trembled. Her lips parted and she let out a small whimper as she switched her gaze to me.

I hissed, not liking this one bit. Taking me prisoner was fine - I had dealt with the situation all my millennia, but not as a hostage. Not to manipulate my students. At that thought I stilled.

“My work,” I realised, “if I take anymore undeclared leave-”

“Well write a letter that you need time off, then,” Morningstar rolled his eyes, gesturing to my desk.

I stared at him, my struggling now ceased and more confused at his moment of strange kindness.

“The girl here can hand it in. And while you are at it, scribe where she can find your … project for me.”

Looking over to Ayna, I could see the utter fear in her eyes. My chest rose and fell unsteadily as I tried to take a step towards her.

“No,” Morningstar grabbed me by the upper arm and shoved me hard against the desk. “Write, not flirt.”

It hit my abdomen. Cringing, I felt pain explode, and bit back a yell. Morningstar reached past me and shoved a pen into my hand, then twisted a blank sheet around to face me.

“You do not know how long you need away,” Morningstar instructed. Very quickly I invented a death in the family. Something I was currently wishing for. If only …

“Char, just write,” he sighed. Grabbing my bound hands he twisted them to set the nib to paper. I glared at him, and he raised an eyebrow.

“You're a dick,” I muttered to him.

“Yes I am,” he replied. “Now. Write.”

Professor Charles
08-02-2018, 02:38 AM
Silence reigned as I scribed awkwardly, not able to see the whole page due to my bound hands. My eyes kept slipping towards Ayna who knew so little of the world she had stumbled into. All she could hear was the the chains chimed like a bell as I wrote, the same I was familiar with. It took me longer to write them I was used.

As I finished, Morningstar leant over my back, and with a quick swipe pulled the completed letter from me. He read it over as I paused before beginning on the second, giving a sideways glance to Ayna. Now she had gained some of her strength and will and was standing there with fists clenched, glaring at Morningstar.

“How long do I have?” she whispered.

“As long as you wish,” Morningstar shrugged as I moved onto the instructions for where to find the project I had been working on, and what to expect when there. “But the longer you take, the more he suffers. And if you never come to me … well,” he slammed a hand onto my shoulder and squeezed it hard, so I winced. And smiled, “whatever my agreements with him, he's mine for eternity.”

“You're an arsehole,” I muttered, but I continued to write. Faster.

“Yes you are,” Ayna echoed my words, “you're cruel. How can you do this to your own brother?”

“Well he has spent the last four or five millennia being bonded to the King of Death,” Morningstar mused. “This isn't the worst. I'm much kinder.”

It was not a question, but a statement. And that was because I was a fact I had to admit. Mad as if might be Morningstar was far nicer. The King of Death would have made her swear allegiance to him already, possibly made her kill. But all things according to what they are, he was still an arse.

I found as I wrote my anger and frustration died somewhat. This was just another moment of my being a captive in my life. I would figure out the way to freedom within time, even if Ayna never came. Rolling back my shoulders I finished writing, my heart less frantic, and I let out a sigh. No sooner had my hands lifted from the page and thrown the pen aside than Morningstar pulled the paper from underneath my hands. Briefly he scanned it before holding it out to Ayna.

She did not move, only glared at him, anger now residing more than anything. Fear was gone by this point, the initial worries cast aside by fury as she and I did what Morningstar bid.

“Take it!” He waved it at her. “Or I torture him too.”

Slightly, I rolled my eyes, knowing it was not the likeliest outcome. Torturing me and therefore rendering whatever part of me useless was not a method Morningstar often used.

“He won't,” I said quietly to her. “I'll be fine.”

“Bah, you'll be locked in a cell. That is hardly fine.”

Ayna breathed slowly, eyes on me, but reached to take the paper with dark, elegant fingers. Her eyes drifted from my manacled hands, to the chain in Morningstar's hand, then to me. Encouragingly I gave her a small nod, forgetting all the possibilities of her attraction to me. At least for now. Right in this moment I needed to be the comforting teacher. A peer. An adult to reassure her all was going to be well.

“I'll be fine,” I told her with honesty.

“Ugh,” Morningstar grinned and pulled me closer towards him. “We will see you soon, remember do not tell anyone.”

He poked a finger at her. She nodded fast. It took him a moment to be satisfied before he switched his focus elsewhere. He wound a loop of chain around his hand, further bringing my wrists to his hold. Again he wound, until he was a few inches away from me.

“Have you finished your struggles?” He asked me.

I flatly stared at him, not moving. He smiled, and he waved a hand in the air. I gave one last nod to Ayna before the world began to fade around us.

Professor Charles
08-02-2018, 02:40 AM
We landed into a long, well lit corridor, the walls a light grey stone. It was wide, though without windows. It could have been any basement corridor for all I knew - drab, simple, leading to a kitchen - aside from the issue that the only doors that led from it were iron bound wooden things, with a large barred window around head height. Being tall I had to duck down to peer through one, and saw a boring, bare room with no furniture and a single lamp set into a nook in a wall.

Morningstar tugged the chains, and the chiming bell sound filled the air. I glanced over to him and he gestured further down the corridor.

“I hardly use these,” he muttered, “So there are not many well furnished.”

“'Well furnished’?” I quoted. “Are you running a hotel now?”

“Hilarious,” he said dryly. “But this is necessary to make the girl silent.”

“You could have taken her memories of the few minutes she was there,” I replied, moving faster as he began to.

“No, she will be more useful to me aware, and with her feelings towards you …” he shrugged as he came to a sanded, newer looking door with an eerie sheen to the metal. “Well, you are terribly easy to take prisoner, with your lack of fighting.”

I shrugged slightly. I was pathetic in that realm. But in all my years of fighting I knew that physically struggling against bonds and people who had more power than you was useless. It was better to use wise words and quick wit to gain your station in life.

“Hmm,” he hummed, and waved a hand. The door to the room he was currently inspecting flew open. It revealed a small chamber, with a low metal-framed bed, a mass of blankets and a small un-doored chamber around the back. Peering to the side I caught the glimpse of a wooden lavatory seat.

“In you go,” he gestured, smiling at me pleasantly.

He dropped the end of the chains. As he did it melted away, sprinkling into a fine golden powder that rose upwards until it was nothing with the brilliant light of the lamps. The disintegration extended to my hands, where I felt a light, tingling sensation and the manacles too became nothing more than dust.

I rose my brows at it, marvelling at the spectacle as I gingerly touched my wrists.

A loud sigh behind me. “Char ...”

A hand shot past my face and pointed, irritated, into the cell. Realising what he meant I began to move, easing past him into the small but livable space. Helpfully he gave me a guiding push to finish my journey.

Unsurprisingly the door slammed closed behind me as I stumbled to my balance. There was the sound of a bolt being drawn and then a padlock being secured. As the click of the latter sounded there was a light brightness. The walls seemed to spring into life as a glittering shimmered over them, a wave of shimmer and shine. It covered the ceiling and floor, even edging around the corner, and when it fled towards me I jumped out of instinct.

“It is a simple barrier spell,” the voice from the door said. Twisting around I saw the handsome face of my brother, all proud with his huge horns twisting away from his head and leaning against the door. “Means you cannot escape using magic.”

“Ah,” I looked at him once before I looked around at my surroundings. The bed looked comfortable enough, but there was very little else entertainment wise. “Any chance of books?”

He paused, then replied. “You are a hostage, not a guest.”

I continued. “There were books in my office. One entitled, 'Lore of Old Dheathain’. It has some interesting stories about what the Calamity was.”

Morningstar rose his brows, and looked impressed. “Fine. You can have that one.”

“And the notes lying on top of it, please,” I went on, “And there are three on cultures who had prophecy at the heart of their societies. They will be useful.”

“Where are they?” he scowled.

“At the office also. Under the desk in a small leather saddlebag.”

“Fine,” he shoved a finger at me through the bars. “But no more, Char.”

Shrugging, I sat back on the bed, keeping my eyes steady on him. “You want me to be useful whilst I am here, brother? Then get me those books.”

He hissed angrily at me, then twisted away, saying, “if she never comes to me, you are staying there forever.”

“I know you. You'll get bored. You'll let me out sometime,” I lifted up my legs, swinging myself into the bed. It was not the most comfortable thing, but it would do. Carefully, I laid back, swinging my hands behind my head.

“Possibly,” he muttered, and I grinned.

He wouldn't last a month.

Professor Charles
08-02-2018, 02:42 AM
Within a few hours I had my books. I also managed to persuade him to allow a small desk and a chair into the cell. It required me to be chained to the wall for a time as two of his awkward servants moved the new furniture in, but it was a small price to pay. When they moved out and the glittering spell returned I was able to sit down and do what I loved most: research.

For a while he observed me through the grill as I opened the 'Lore of Dheathain’. Picking up a fine wooden pen with a steel nib I began to read, starting from where I had first left off.

It was a section about a legend of a priestess, one who had a great love but could not be with for reasons that he himself was a eunuch, pledged to the god Valhalla. There was no other mention of that god in any literature as far as I knew, and I had never heard of him. Thus, this story had become something of an education to me - a man who thrived upon knowing all the tales.

Being in the hells for thousands of years had not allowed me to gather much worldly experience. But as I had been the bearer of a wide assortment souls from one side of the River of Death to the other, I had come to know many things. Conversation was something I had never lacked skill in. Thus, I had learnt about the world and the wars and countries and development of the races. I had come to know cities from architects, gods from priests, battles from generals and dragons from magizoologists. And in all those years I had done nothing but want to learn.

And now I taught. I poured over the story of the priestess and the eunuch, taking down notes of every mention of Valhalla I could. He seemed to be involved with some form of afterlife, or was the afterlife itself. Warriors who died in battle and/or violence got to it automatically, others had to earn their way. What was intriguing, though, were the references to certain deaths, that the eunuch kept quoting: “Baron Kss’Vet himself, who passed by the great light falling from the sky”. I knew from having seen part of the Great Calamity myself that there had been a series of meteors falling from the sky, that had burnt up in the atmosphere, and thus looked bright.

A sigh of satisfaction fled my mouth as I leant back, scrawling the 'fukatmaki’ into my notes.

“What is it?”

Swinging my head around I spied him there, in the window. Pausing, I slid a ribbon to mark the place in my book before I replied.

“You are still there?”

“Clearly,” he had his arms folded across his chest from what I could see, and he leant against the doorway. “Now, what is it?”

Crossing my own arms I turned to him, twisting around in the chair. I moved a leg, swinging it up and over the back so that I was straddling the back rest and could lean upon it. A smile played upon my lips.

“Futakmaki,” I said, simply.

Immediately he frowned. “What, or who, or why, is a fu-futaku-fuk- what?”

“Futakmaki,” I replied. “You could say it means 'fire from above’ or 'heat from the heavens’ or 'rock falling’. It could mean many things according to what language you claim as the source.”

“But what is it, Char?”

“A comet,” I finally admitted. “Or several. Not sure.”

He blinked, confused for a moment. “You mean there's a … comet coming?”

“A comet came. What do you remember from the the Great Calamity?”

He frowned. “Fire. Falling like rain. A river of ash. A great wave that drowned the village I ruled.”

I nodded, “as do I. Especially the ash and fire. So a comet crashing into the earth makes entire sense.”

“Wait,” he spun to face me, his face taking up the entire space in the grill, brows furrowed deeply. “Are you saying that you believe another comet is coming?”

“Something like that,” I nodded. “Possibly worse.”

He paused, and looked away. “I will ask astronomers. Good,” he straightened. “Continue your … studies. I will have someone bring down food.”

“Glad you aren't allowing me to starve to death,” I replied, dryly.

“No, you are currently too valuable to have you in pain,” he shook his head, eyes looking elsewhere. “Or be dying. To wait the six hours for you to come back to life,” he curled his lip in distaste. “Carry on,” and he waved a hand at me before leaning away. I watched as he drew away from the door and disappeared from sight, striding down the corridor.

The sound of his footsteps rang in my ears for hours.

Professor Charles
08-02-2018, 02:50 AM
There was a light knock on the door. Sitting up from where I lay back on the bed I frowned. I was literally locked in a cell. Why would someone knock? Blinking in confusion I looked at the door and saw a young woman smiling awkwardly at me. When she saw I was looking at her she raised a hand, and awkwardly waved. I waved back.

“Mr De'Erebus,” she said, “your meal.”

I paused, and pulled my legs around to place my feet on the floor. Nodding a little I began to stand. “Are you coming in or is this a ‘secret hatch’ experience?”

The woman giggled a little. As I looked at her closer I realised I vaguely recognised her from my first excursion to Morningstar’s court. She had been at the edge of his grand throne hall, carrying laundry at the time. By the sight of her she was a mere human being, and could not be older than twenty five. I wondered how a remarkably pretty female like her came to work for a primordial like Morningstar.

“I can come in,” she replied with delight in her tone, “but as I open the door and close it again … if you stay where you are, towards the back …”

Laughing lightly I moved backwards, amused at both this girl’s attitude and my brother’s apparent relaxing of the rules. With a spirit of generosity burning within me, and the knowledge that chance of escape was fairly limited with not knowing much of what lay beyond the corridor outside, I cupped my hands before me and moved to lean against the back wall. When I was steady the woman quickly began to unlock the door with a flurry of her fingers. She twisted her head to speak - which told me there was a guard or other being accompanying her - and then pushed open the door. No sooner was she in, baring a tray of steaming food in one hand, than did she close the door behind her.

“That is me,” she called lightly.

I heard a grunt, and the slim partial appearance of a tall individual. The grating of metal told me the door was locked behind her. Still and patient, I waited.

She spun back around, a great smile on her face. She was a beauty, with long, black straight hair, and an olive-skinned complexion. Her dark hazel eyes were full of exotic patterns, and she wore a simple grey work-dress, with bare feet. Despite its plainess it fitted her well, tailored to suit her curves and endearments.

“I am Regina,” she said warmly, “I work for Lord Morningstar.”

“And I am Charles,” I replied in kind, staying where I was. “His brother.”

“Yes,” Regina nodded, “I remember when you visited us before.”

“And here I am again,” I mockingly gestured before me as I inclined my head. Regina chuckled as she moved to place the tray on my desk. Intrigued by her I watched her, liking both her lighthearted nature, despite where she was and who she worked for, and the pleasant tone of voice.

After she had placed down my meal she twisted back around to me. “So.”

“So,” I said, “do you entertain many of my other siblings here?”

She paused, “some. Some have been … guests, like yourself, yet more reluctant. There are some who are pledged to his service.”

“And then there is me,” I slid my fingers back in line with one another, clasping.

“Yes, he has spoken of you much through the years I have worked for him. I believe you are one of his favourites.”

“Oh how lucky of me,” I sarcastically replied.

Regina’s smile reached her eyes. “The girl, he is holding you hostage for, is she your girlfriend?”

Surprised at the sudden personal nature of the question, I shook my head. “Ayna? No. No, she is a student of mine. I am a lecturer at a university - a professor.”

“Ah, I see,” she nodded a couple of times. For a moment she paused. “But she likes you?”

“A relationship between such is inappropriate,” I explained. “And though she is smart, she is naive. It would not be a healthy one.”

“Master Morningstar said something about her just liking ‘your fake race’ or something similarly.”

I cringed. It was true enough.

“Was that not right to say?” Regina looked apologetic, hand at her mouth in shock and tooth biting her lip gently.

“No,” I waved a hand, “it was fine.”

“As long as you are sure, sir.”

“Honestly,” I answered, “call me Charles. Everyone does. I'm not a great lord.”

“You are a favourable brother of the man I work for,” she shrugged a little, “the honorific can be inferred.”

“'Favourable’?” I questioned, raising my brow. “That's the word he used? 'Favourable’ despite having a desire to kidnap me every few days?”

“You are here because you do not agree to swear your fealty to him, yes?” her smile was brilliant.

I titled my head to one side, and nodded once. “Indeed, I am done owing my allegiance to someone. It's never happening again.”

She gestured at the room, “well. This is your punishment for refusing that. Some of the other employees would say you should die because you refused the offer. They call it an 'honour’.”

My punishment? Well, that was certainly something. It also made me more certain that Regina was here because she wanted to be; not indentured like I had supposed many of Morningstar's staff to be. Whether she saw him as a god in flesh, or simply as a man who upheld her virtues was a complex question in itself, with a myriad of answers. By the way she spoke of the other employees here, this seemed to be the norm of thinking, and it made me wonder:

“So how did exactly a young human like yourself come to work for a Primordial?”

Regina straightened, her some faded a little, and she gestured to my meal. “Your food is getting cold, sir.”

Concern came to me. Had I upset her? Immediately I frowned. “I apologise if I-”

“Oh no, but the story is long. You may want to eat whilst I tell it.”

Professor Charles
08-02-2018, 06:26 AM
mature content from here but not explicit

Her full name was Regina del Kant. She was the daughter of a human philosopher and his devoted wife. In the early years of their marriage they had emigrated to the Tular plains to better get away from the world and seek a place that might fit more to their ideals. Truth and justice were his base morals, and they worked hard daily to gain what they could and live a pleasant life. With a small allotment they settled near a particularly rambunctious entrance that led to an underworld, and learned a variety of different things from the voices they heard both during the day and in their sleep.

These were whispers of power and secrets, that had teachings of alternative philosophies. They fit their personal attitudes to life, and the del Kants became more satisfied. They had a small family after some time, raising their children with beliefs in that people got what they deserved, that karma was a divine truth, and that the only true political path was anarchy. Crime was but a name, if you were murdered it was because you were an idiot. People could be good, if there were no rules for them to fight against, because rules were there to constrain. Laws were but limits placed by those in power to control their underlings. Animals were not born to be under sentient beings, but rather could choose to serve. There was a definite to the universe, and it began and ended with how much power you had.

It was into this lonely family that Regina was born and raised. When she came to the age of five her parents took her to the local mouth of hell and bid her to pray. Regina did, asking for the divine being who could teach her the right ways to use herself. Morningstar himself then stepped from that underworld entrance and offered her and her parents a deal: if Regina would be in his service for the whole of her life, he would teach her everything he knew, and protect her family from other ultimate powers.

It was a deal apparently worth taking.

“So you have been here since you were five?” I asked, surprised.

Regina nodded, a smile on her face. “Indeed. It is like a small family on staff here, we are each a part of a greater machine.”

“Are there any of you that are here not because you wanted to be?” I slowly chewed the meat that was in my mouth, watching this anarchist devotee of my brother, who was little more than an indentured servant but was entirely willing to be.

“There are ones that are here … maybe because their parents failed in a deal they made with Lord Morningstar, and the agreed price was their child, or that they themselves were in the wrong place at the wrong time … we have very few laws here, one of them is no slavery so he pays them so ... You'll be punished, but only if you defy him.”

There was something in her words that were beginning to make sense. Whether it was Morningstar himself who had first laid down the philosophy of punishment where it was due, or the culture had been created around his power and near worship, was not clear, but it was clear something he himself lived by. I had been offered everything you needed in life, according to these individuals here. Morningstar had offered me a place at his side, and I had defied him. Me being held here was simply raw justice at work. It was nothing to do, really, with the fact there was a drow student, somewhere, scurrying to find the keys to my freedom. It was simply down to the issue that I openly had fought his influence several times, and was now facing the consequences.

Amused at the thought of it all, knowing it was predictable of my brother to have encouraged this way of thinking, I smiled, and leant back in my chair, observing the intellectual resting on the bed.

“So I'm here because I deserve it,” I grunted, as I speared a sprout.

Regina shrugged a little. “You cannot be killed for it, and Lord Morningstar favours you too much. He wishes you to serve him, you refused, and so he must control and punish you. Clearly.”

Perfect and simple logic.

Some would call Regina brainwashed at this point, but I knew that she had come to these conclusions entirely by herself. There was a fire and an intelligence within her that I found intriguing and - dare I say it - attractive. I would not lie to myself and pretend that I did not find this young woman intriguing to the point that my desire rose. Despite the fact she had made her mind up for the base morality of her life, and therefore conversation would be limited, I knew that I could spend hours in her company, speaking over the finer details of permanence, speculate the existence of how other worlds developed in a more disproportionate structure, and what mortality actually meant …

Had Morningstar deliberately chosen her to bring my meal, knowing that I would find her so?

“So what do you think of me?” I found myself asking, interested. “With the issue that I refused my brother, and still do?”

Regina blinked. “Well you refused the offer of the being whose opinions I hold above all others, the one whom I regard as the closest to a god that I can get to, and the base moral guidance for my life …” she bit her lip, then grinned. “You are intelligent and strong, Sir Charles. You are wrong, but you have your reasons for being wrong. Perhaps time here will re-educate you.”

“I've been alive since near the beginning of time,” I shrugged. “It will take far more than your lifetime to change the entire way I see life.”

“Well then,” she leant forwards, eyes dancing with amusement. “You'll just have to stay here forever.”

I laughed, looking at my food, but not because I had disbelief in what she said. Rather, I knew perfectly that there was a high chance of this happening again after Ayna brought my notes on the Great Calamity, and my theories on how I could assist with saving the world as we faced a second. Potentially, Morningstar would come get me the next day because of some new whim, rather than act on our deal. Power was very definitely on his side of the equation in out relationship. He had not forced me yet to resign entirely from my teaching, but there would be some method that meant he could.

“We will see,” I replied.

And Regina grinned delightfully, leaning to her feet. She began towards me, fire in her eyes. In that moment all ideas of a potential flirtation with Ayna died. Student and teacher had never been my want anyway, and despite what the drow wanted, my attraction was centered elsewhere. Of course, this could very easily be another plan by Morningstar to bring me over to his side - that I had to remain aware of. As Regina came close, and her legs bumped against my knees I found myself smiling and shaking my head in absolute disbelief at the absurdity of what she was doing and what was happening.

Gently she plucked the fork from my fingers. I let her, entirely open to possibilities at this point, but my own will as iron. Stretching over me she allowed her plump breasts to hang at my eye height as she placed the fork back onto the tray of food I had now mostly finished, and her hair brushed my flesh.

“Aren't I your enemy?” I asked, putting my head to the side. “A punished barbarian, who refuses to serve your great and powerful overlord?”

“Oh you are far from a barbarian,” she kept her eyes gazing into mine as she slid to stand right before me, moving a hand to place it on the back of my chair. “You're just wrong.”

“Ah, common misconception,” I agreed, my chest rising and falling as my heart hammered hard.

With her spare hand she touched the inner thigh of my leg. I found myself not resisting, and rather stayed absolutely still - aside from lifting a hand to gesture at the door. “Privacy might be preferable.”

“Hmm,” she considered it for a moment, before she leaned up a little, raising her voice and looking at the door. “Fallon?”

There came a grunt and a face of an orc appeared in the grill. As he saw the position we were in his eyes blinked a couple of times in surprise and his jaw fell.

“Ehhh … is that … allowed?”

“His lordship said nothing against it,” she replied with a shrug. It still did not entirely answer the question of if Morningstar had sent her to me with the intention of this attraction building, but it did make me feel better in knowing it was not an order to flirt with me. “So … it not disallowed. Close the grill would you, dear, and not listen?”

The orc stared for a moment more, stunned, before he nodded awkwardly. “Yeah … sure. Sure.” And he lifted a hand. There was a sliding sound as a cover was drawn across the grill, hiding him from view.

Regina let out a satisfied sigh. She took a moment before focusing back on me.

“Now,” she said, “you.”

Professor Charles
08-02-2018, 06:28 AM
“What the fuck do you mean I 'should not’ go in? He is my brother, and this is my court.”

“Um, yes my lord but …”

I blinked awake, the noise alerting me to the reality of the universe. Quickly I became aware and glanced around the room, noting the fact I was still in my little cell. As I did and as the voices outside became even more irate the memories of the night before came back to me.

My breath caught in my chest as I glanced down at myself. Regina's naked form was elegantly laid against mine, her lower half hidden by the bed’s blanket. Her eyes were closed, still sleeping, and her hair was thrown back, loose, to reveal her full face. My right arm was still around her, relaxingly holding her to me as apparently I had been all through our rest, and I myself was fully in the nude. A small, satisfied grin came to my face as I ran a hand through my hair, and over the long ridge that was my left horn, remembering every last detail.

“What the fuck are you mumbling about, idiot?!”

My eyes moved to the door. There was only one being who spoke like that here, and that was he who was lord and master of everything and everyone here - aside from me. Even of my new attraction.

A thud sounded against the door. It was only a matter of time until Fallon the orc guard gave us up or Morningstar charged through himself. With little to see in terms of clothes - they had been left on the other side of the room - I did the next best thing I could a kind grabbed the edge of the blanket at our waists. As I moved myself gingerly up into a seated position, I pulled the blanket up to Regina's shoulder and my abdomen. There was about two seconds of time as I adjusted myself and ensured Regina's decency before the bolt was drawn on the door and it was thrown violently open.

It crashed against the wall. With my brows raised I stared straight at it, looking at the furious figure of my brother who had been refused entry. His skin was flecked flaming crimson, his eyes were pits of fire, and his hair rose around his horns like a demonic halo. It took all of a single moment for his jaw to drop as Fallon's had and for all the pieces of the puzzle to fall into place.

Slowly he straightened, eyes flickering from me to the gorgeous creature beside me. Pausing, he took it in, his mind calculating before a small smile came to his face. Neither of us said nothing, as he visibly relaxed. Slightly, he nodded.

Beside me, Regina began to stir, making a small moan. I gestured to her and said quietly, “privacy for a moment?”

He grunted once, and leaned to grasp the door handle. He pulled it closed, the grill still drawn across as I waited for Regina.

“Noise,” she moaned grumpily as she began to open her eyes.

“Indeed,” I replied. “Unpleasant noise, but it is of significance.”

“What is that?” she yawned a little and blinked as she gazed up at me. A small smile came to her when I came into view.

“My brother is outside.”

The smile immediately vanished. Suddenly starting she gasped as she began to sit up, clutching at the blanket and eyes rapidly searching for her clothing. Agreeing with her I moved onto my knees and pointed at the chair.

“Has he …”

“He decided to intrude,” I nodded, “rudely. But I had enough time to … ensure our dignity.”

Professor Charles
08-02-2018, 06:28 AM
She sighed a huge sigh of relief, and slid of the bed to run and grab her dress. Hectically, she began to pull it on. “Damn, I am going to be ridiculously late. I was supposed to help in the kitchens at breakfast.”

“It'll be fine,” I assured her, taking up trousers.

“Having sex is not an excuse for tardiness.”

“Not even with the lord's exciting new prisoner?” I watched as she began to button up the back of her dress. Turning around to me she held her hair out of the way. There were the remaining top few buttons spare.

“Please.”

With my brow raised, I obliged.

Then she let her hair drop and turned to me. She paused, a smile on her face. “I'm not sure. But I will say I was not disappointed.”

“Of last night?” I asked. And she nodded, curling her hands together. Slowly nodding myself, I spoke words of genuine meaning. “Neither was I.”

She grinned then, and leant forwards. “Then I'll see you again. Soon,” she darted in to kiss my cheek. “Maybe I'll ask his lordship to keep you here for my sake.”

I laughed a little, knowing it was entirely plausible, and she skipped back. She gave me a small wave as she walked forward and grasped the door handle.

It opened. My brother was standing outside, arms folded and brow raised. Quickly she descended into a low red-cheeked curtsey to him before scurrying away. There were the sounds of her happiness in the footsteps.
Patiently, with a smile that was both guilty and not, I waited for him. After a moment he grunted before moving into the room. I could not see Fallon as the door closed unaided behind him.

“So,” he spoke carefully, “that I was not expecting to happen so fast.”

“I wondered if it was by your design,” I folded my arms as I leant against the back wall.

“It was a brief consideration of the matter that you might find each other's company pleasing but …” he smiled slowly. “It was not my entire plan. It might have not happened.”

“Indeed,” I agreed, “I am assuming by that then you have no issue.”

“Oh no brother,” he shook his head. “Rather, I will look to encourage it. Regina is entirely loyal to me. This gives me more power over you.”

It was entirely true, and I had known it from the outset. I watched him as he strode to my chair and placed himself into it.

Professor Charles
08-02-2018, 06:29 AM
“So. I guess the student is of no longer any romantic interest?”

“She never was on my part,” I replied, my smile fading. “I am a professional.”

“I see,” he paused. “She is here.”

My mouth fell open in surprise. The timing could not have been anymore comedic.

“She came?” I breathed.

“You had not expected her to?” Morningstar looked at me, intrigued.

“I thought there was a possibility that you would go back and take her memories away,” I answered. “That way, have her break her side of the deal and have an excuse to keep me here. But …”

He shrugged. “The thought past my mind. But then I realised what might be discovered with your research thus far might be worth entreating.”

I said nothing, as nothing needed to be said. My heart thumped, knowing Ayna was somewhere in this building, but not knowing if Morningstar would allow us to meet. I did not even know if he would commit to his side of the bargain and let me go, or make up some new excuse to keep me here.

After a pause he focused on me again.

“Of course, she wants to see you,” he grimly sighed. “I have made her wait. I took time to read what you have researched thus far, and I can say I am not disappointed. You are a worthy cause for my attention.”

“Our original deal still can stand,” I answered him, a serious look in my eyes. “You let me live my life, and I will attribute the larger victories I have in saving the world to you.” I nodded at him.

He pursed his lips, frowning a little. “But the situation is not ideal. Where you are, with this little irritant of a student knowing things … and even if I did erase her memories, she would still be a distraction. Clearly, she has an eye for you, and I do not care for any individuals who would possibly cause upset to any of my employees.”

I blinked, eyebrows rising. He was concerned for Regina's happiness here.

“Regina and I -”

“Oh brother, I am encouraging this spark for all my worth,” he grinned, “Regina is loyal to me, and I know you as the honourable sort of man who will not intentionally hurt her, because of your high 'morals’.”

I tightened my jaw. I knew from the outset that there was a definite chance of him claiming an avenue to power when Regina had first risen from her seat. But with the fact that I was already potentially his eternal prisoner there had been more reasons for.

“You're right,” I replied quietly, “I won't deliberately hurt her in any way.”

“Indeed, and that volatile little thing upstairs -”

“Wait, back in my office you seemed to be interested in employing Ayna on a long term basis,” I interrupted him, holding up a hand, confused, “now you are calling her 'irritating’?”

“She is far too much of a … loose thread. Highly emotional,” he said as if he was eating something sour. “Far too so. I do not like her.”

Professor Charles
08-02-2018, 06:30 AM
I sighed. It meant Ayna's memories would be going. Losing memories was never a pleasant for the victim. And she had spent at least a day whilst I had been here as she attempted to find the information to gain my freedom.

“She refuses to leave unless she sees you,” he scowled.

“That usually is hardly of an issue for you,” I replied.

He nodded, “that is true. Yet …” He looked right at me. “You still refuse to swear fealty to me?”

I blinked. “Entirely.”

Morningstar grunted. “Then technically I have fresh right to keep you here longer but …” he stood. “A new deal. Firstly, Alerar is no longer a valid place for your abode. Not with that Ayna girl.

I want you to move city.”

“Move city?” I questioned, very surprised.

It was not something I had expected. But it made sense, when one put Regina and Ayna into the concern. My brother was right - Ayna was capricious, a measurement within the equation that was subject to risk and change. Naturally, he preferred my affection towards another creature, and that was someone under his command. One night was of course nothing to garner a fully fledged future upon, but with his willingness behind it I was sure we would be encouraged beyond death. My staying within the university within Ettermire would be subject to possible persuasions in other romantic directions, despite my hesitations in terms of a student-professor relationship.

But there was more than that, there was an alteration of focus for my life. No longer was I to be a full time professor, but instead I had to spend a larger portion of the time on researching into histories and legends to formulate plans for the future. Time would also be required for acting upon those plans also. My current position required my full time attention for my students. A change of city meant a change of jobs, and with that I could gain a better situation of more hours in which to work upon Morningstar's plans.

“And if refuse?” I asked, knowing the answer even as the words left my mouth.

He gestured to the room we were currently in. “You get comfortable.”

I nodded slowly, looking at the ground as I considered. “Do you have a city in mind? I used to work in Akashima, but that is not possible.”

“The young woman. Yes,” he nodded slowly, “when I was initially following your trail to find you I discovered that story. No, that is not ideal.” He paused. “I have a number of followers in Radasanth of Corone, Etheria of Alerar, Eluriand and Tor Elythis of Raiaera.”

“So ideally, any of them,” I grunted.

He nodded. “If you have no preference, I can choose.”

I was silent for a moment, before I nodded, “fine. I move. If you get me a job in a university I will move.”

“I will manage to find you something suitable,” he waved a hand.

“Morningstar, I need the resources of a university. Not just for your project, for my own desires,” I stared at him.

He pursed his lips, but then tightly nodded. “Fine. Anything … off, however, and you know where you will end up.”

“Back in this delightful hole,” I dryly replied, and I breathed slowly.

It was not ideal in the slightest this life. I had spent ten delightful years of nobody ruling over my existence, and then Morningstar showed up. He was not the worst, and now working with him came with a potential new girlfriend. The last serious relationship I had had had been with another man's wife, namely the Queen of Death herself. This time my attachment would be with a servant of my own brother.

I leant away from the wall, rolling back my shoulders. “Take care of Ayna. Do not take away too much.”

He stood as I moved, unfolding his arms. “You may see her before I work. It would be useful to have her take your resignation letter.”

“I need to clean out my office,” I said, leaning down to pick up my discarded shirt.

“That is being taken care of as we speak,” Morningstar grinned at me.

Pausing, I looked at him, narrowing my eyes. So. He had only asked me out of courtesy. His plan had already been to have me move, despite asking me and leaning it open to negotiation. “So you were … you are honestly a bastard, you know that.”

“As I have been told,” he replied, pulling himself to his full height. “Now, do you want to see her or shall I tell her that you refuse?”

“I'll see her,” I sighed, pulling on my shirt. “Just to get it clear, I do not work for you, Morningstar. I work for myself, I am a free man, who happens to be coerced into a few days of being held prisoner by his own brother once in a while.”

“Yes, brother, I do know that. Hence why all of this is so necessary,” he gestured around the room.

For a moment I glared at him more before moving to the desk. Grabbing a piece of paper I took up pen and ink and wrote the most elaborate resignation letter I had ever scribed.

Professor Charles
08-02-2018, 06:31 AM
I discovered that the cells were accessible via a staircase at the end of the corridor, that wound its way with straight lines, perpendicular continuations and multiple landings. It ascended to two floors - first a lively, bustling world of servants and staff. I had a brief glimpse, and received a couple of curious looks from people as they saw me led upstairs. The next floor opened onto a large room, grand and filled with bookcases. I started to stare, and even stepped towards them when a tug on my wrists brought me back to reality.

At the end of the chain connected to my delightful manacles was Morningstar, gesturing towards a door set between shelves. Grunting, I turned away from the books for now and allowed myself to be led away from the room of delights. The door opened onto the vast white hall that was his throne room, just into the shadows of the space beyond the pillars that held up the marvellous, structured roof. At one end of the throne room was a set of double doors, and at the other was a dais with an ornate oaken throne set upon it. It was near this dais that a young drow paced, worry written clear into her face.

As soon as she saw me and my captor emerge from the darkness, her face lit up like a beacon. Softly, I sighed, knowing what fate was about to befall her, and to some degree regretting my decisions thus far. But it was what it was.

Rolling back my shoulders I set about readying myself for saying goodbye to that portion of my life. It was, in a way, what Ayna represented - my short lived freedom years. Now I was back to similar to how life had been at the beginning of the universe, except then I had been entirely accepting of what my purpose had been. Serving another was not on my agenda anymore, especially my younger brother, but currently there was no way to avoid him.

“It would be kinder to make it short,” he muttered to me as we drew to a halt a few metres from her. Then he threw Ayna a delightful smile before gesturing behind him. “Here he is, as you requested.”

“You said he could be free when I brought you what you needed.”

“Technically I said he would rot in his cell until you did,” he shrugged, “but … indeed.” And he waved a hand. The chain melted away into the same light dust that began to rise into the air, then blinked out of existence. From tip to manacles it drifted away, and then when they reached my wrist the golden-tinted metal there began to float into the near heavens also. I wrung my wrists, breathing deep with the appreciation.

“You have five minutes,” he said as he twisted away to stride up towards his throne.

Rolling back my shoulders I took full calculation of my power currently residing in my body that both the cell I was in and the manacles magically constrained me from using. Raising my palm upwards I pulled on the thriving energy in my body and formed a neat ball of black energy in my hand.

“Professor?”

Looking around I saw her worried expression. My lips pursed for a moment before I forced a smile for the person whom soon would only remember me as that intelligent, suave professor of a niche subject. I let the power die out.

“I'll be fine,” I said kindly to her. “Honest. My brother is a megalomaniac, it just takes some negotiation.”

“Sir, you were … maybe are still a prisoner!”

Still? Despite the manacles I was still in his halls. Technically he had followed his work and just freed me, but when Ayna was gone all was predictable.

“Indeed,” gently, I smiled. “It is not the first time, however, anything like this has happened.”

It was far from the first time.

Firmly I fixed her with a look. “Ayna, I am leaving my job at the university and moving city.”

Her eyes widened, “what?”

“I am hardly favourable right now with the amount of time I have taken off. I have a resignation letter that I have already penned.”

“Where will you go?” she asked, quietly, her lips trembling.

I paused, and smiled a little. “Tor Elythis,” I decided in that moment.

She pulled in a sharp breath, acknowledging the city in Raiaera, her enemy country. Despite the fact I ran my own risk of not being accepted because I looked akin to a tiefling, I would fair as well as I did anywhere else. I was no drow walking into this new life; I was simply a being associated with the hells.

“I see,” she said.

And a second benefit to my choosing that island city crammed onto a rock, where sky knights roamed as swift as the wind. Ayna would not be able to follow me there - at least there was less of a risk of her doing so than if I had chosen to remain in Alerar, or gone to Radasanth.

“Indeed,” I nodded, and then stepped back to generously bow to her. “I wish you a pleasant life, Miss Ayna.”

Her cheeks sparked crimson, and hastily she curtseyed. “And to you, Professor Rivers.”

“Take care of yourself,” I said gently, and I turned back around. I saw my brother observing me, purse lipped.

Subtly he gestured back the way I had come. I looked over and saw the doorway open, leading right back towards my cell. His eyes were bright with warning about my power.

So. It had been for show. I was still not entirely free.

Rolling back my shoulders I gave him a small nod and twisted to start heading in that direction. I went through the door and entered into his library. A slow grin spread across my face and my scholarly desires began to burn. Glancing back to him I saw him begin to rise from his seat and start towards Ayna. It meant I had time.

Thus I straightened, rolled up the sleeve of my shirt, and began to browse.

Professor Charles
08-02-2018, 06:32 AM
By the time fifteen minutes had passed and a small, polite cough came from behind me I had a stack of five books in my arms. There he stood, eyebrows raised, resplendent in his scarlet and black robes, and I just smiled, raising a hand in a wave.

“Nice collection you have here, Morn.”

He breathed in slowly, and began over to me. “You claim I am predictable, but you are more so yourself.”

“Depends what you were expecting, really,” I shrugged, as I plucked a last book from a shelf without looking at it much. Placing it on the pile I waited until he was fully over.

His eyes darted to the books, scanning the titles. I had gone for philosophy and history, focusing on my current personal project of the worship of the Thayne Jomil, and the wider concepts of moral heroism that would gain insight into how best to save the world in a dramatic manner. Naturally I let him see the titles. They were his property and any man's library was his personal home.

After a moment he looked back into my eyes. “Tor Elythis?”

“Problem with it?” I asked, blinking. “It was one of the ones you cited.”

“No problem,” he shook his head, “just unusual. I would have chosen Radasanth.”

“Call me boring but I have done the island of Corone. Might as well experience the high elven kin now.”

He inclined his head and pulled himself to his fullest height. “Nothing else has changed however. You still refuse to serve me, therefore when you stay here, you are controlled.”

I watched as his arm extended and he gestured towards the back door. For a moment I paused, knowing I was unbound, and that meant capable of magic. When one compared my power to his, however, who still held part of it in hostage. With a grunt I pushed away from the shelves and started in the direction he proposed, now though with more books in my possession, and that meant more knowledge. And knowledge is power.

At least my form of power.

Morningstar kept close behind me as I descended the stairs. As we came to the floor busy with offices and staff, I gained a few odd looks, as well as a smile. Only for a single second did I pause to look down it before Morningstar poked at my ribs and I was walking down again. Carefully I went, so as not to drop the books, and came to the dungeons of his mighty castle. I sighed slightly as we passed the empty rooms, each one of them bare and without portion. The door to my small current home stood wide and I strode into it with a moment's hesitation.

Behind me the door closed, and the glittering of the barrier spell once more settled over my being. I tried my best to ignore the pricking sensation as I went to lay the books on the table and all settled as it was before.

“So much for my freedom in exchange for her information,” I said.

He replied from the other side of the door. “You had freedom. Briefly - you could have attempted escape.”

“'Attempted,’” I quoted.

He smiled, showing off sharpened canines. “But you had technical freedom. Then, quite willingly walked in it, so in a way you gave it up yourself, Char.” I threw him a look, and he continued. “Now we settle your choice of city, you have nowhere to stay but here. It will be but a few days as I organise you an occupation.”

A few days. I huffed, and swung myself down into the chair. It creaked beneath me as I grumpily lounged. After a moment I raised my palm upwards and attempted to pool magical energy into it. It came directly from Khaos itself, that which I had been born from. Nothing occurred, however, and I sighed as my short stint of having my old powers back.

“Morningstar,” I murmured.

He answered. “What?”

“I am moving city because you asked. I want more of my power back.” I said it with my back to him as I stared down at my palm.

He breathed in slowly. “I will consider it.”

“No,” I disagreed, lifting up my gaze. I twisted around to stare at him. “I know you. That is akin to a refusal. You could leave me be, Morningstar, allow me to live my life as normal, but you yourself are choosing to continue this fight. I would be more than happy to be left alone. I have spent far too many millennia under the influence of one being. This will not be the same.”

He pursed his lips, narrowing his eyes. “I could keep you here for the rest of eternity.”

“Indeed you could, yet it still won't change my loyalty to ultimately, my own wellbeing and myself. It will only make me refuse to give you what I can. I've done the years of being at another's beck and call. The only way of have me so would be to physically control my mind. Do you actually want to do that?”

He folded his arms and glared at me. His response was apparent.

“Exactly,” I replied. Making me lose my mind would be not having my willingness. The very issue that he only had willing servants, and not slaves or indentured, except my their own volition, said a lot about him. He wanted as many beings under him as possible, but all of whom had entreated themselves from their own hearts.

“Give me back more of my power,” I said, facing him fully now as I rose from my chair. “And I will be far more capable of facing the impending apocalypse. My research is clearly useful to you, you have so much yourself. You want to keep our deal going - then allow me this.”

“I do not trust you,” he curled his lip.

“Yes, hence this wonderful construct of hospitality,” I gestured around me. “And neither do I trust you. Currently, you happen to be more powerful of either of us, and thus the situation is as it is.”

He straightened. “Then I simply need to make certain that you have limited power.”

I smiled, slightly. He sounded so much like himself. Wanting to be the powerful one, he who was in charge.

“If I grant you the gift of more of your power then I want to make sure you fully understand,” he came as close to the bars as he could without looking as an idiot. Those bright eyes glowed as he spoke. “Whenever you are here then I will do everything I deem necessary in order to limit those powers. I tell you to come down here and live, and you do it. This is my home, my kingdom.”

“If it was my way, I would not be here at all, anytime,” I raised my eyebrow back.

“You are far more useful under my control than not,” he remarked with a shrug. “Despite your lack of enthusiasm for my service, you are not the most … resistant of our siblings I have kept here.”

Professor Charles
08-02-2018, 06:34 AM
I blinked. “Who have you had here?”

“I made the very terrible mistake of investing in Nemesis,” he curled his lip.

I found myself snorting with laughter. Nemesis was our brother who was not called that for nothing. He was the personification of vendettas, spearheading god against another, made in order that ultimate justice would be served, even for deities. An eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth. Nemesis had taken on the personality to such a degree, and used his power of persuasion so much over the years that no less than sixteen wars, three dragon assaults, five key assassinations and thirty six other significant crimes that altered points in local or global history could be attributed to him. If ‘mercurial’ and 'volatile’ had a face, they were Nemesis. Trying to persuade him to serve Morningstar must have been near impossible.

“So I'm easier,” I concluded, with a smile. Morningstar nodded once.

I paused for a moment. “Well I cannot exactly fight your abilities … yet,” I replied to his earlier query. “You're that eager for me to be controlled …”

“When you are here,” he specified.

“You mean when you kidnap me and bring me here,” I answered.

Morningstar grinned a little. “Indeed.”

For a moment I was silent. Then I spoke my thoughts. “I still need the time to work. To live my life. You simply taking me from that on a whim because you are bored or some other weak agenda …”

“You want legitimate excuses?” He nodded. “Fine. Right now, is 'I am rearranging your life and need you where I can see you’ good enough?”

Leaning back against the table I focused on him. “I would not say so.”

“I am keeping you here whilst I change your future. Moving you to Tor Elythis is something of a complex nature, but it will serve me well as somewhere I can both locate you easily and efficiently. You chose the city, that is a freedom in itself, and I am giving you the courtesy of organising your belongings for you, and transporting them without any worries on your part.”

It was just like him to make something inconvenient sound generous. Slightly I rolled my eyes but I did not comment. Instead I looked down at the floor briefly, as I breathed out. I had gotten so close to freedom today, and had tasted it, but within less than an hour I was now back in here. My guarantee that he would let me go at all was based on my usefulness to him beyond these four walls. Yes, I was was here for a few more days, but as he said, that was only as he altered my life.

I rubbed my temples as I sighed. Then I waved a hand. “Fine. How many days here?”

“Three or four?” he suggested. “What do you mean 'fine’?”

“'Fine’, that when I am here I will be more … negotiable. You give me more power, I live within your suggested boundaries - and beyond it when I need to.” He sucked in his breath and I stared. “I'm not yours Morningstar. I never will be. Those people out there,” I gesture roughly to the corridor, “are. Get used to that.”

“Well you better get used to this room,” he growled, “you’ll be a long term visitor.”

“I will move city, as I said. You will give me more power, and I will continue to negotiate how to get your name more,” I waved a hand randomly, “famous. That is our deal.”

He scowled in deep distaste.

“And if I break my end of the deal. I fail to succeed in any way of achieving greatness in your name,” I shrugged.

“You swear fealty to me,” his eyes glowed.

“... No,” I replied slowly, “but I will come here myself, and you can hold me for however long you deem reasonable.”

“I can do that anyway,” he grunted.

“But are you really going to keep those threats when we have hardly tried as yet? When my research has definitely been veering towards the positive. You have said so yourself.”

Scowling deep he turned away, but there was agreement already in his eyes. Folding his arms he stared at the wall for some time before hissing a reply.

“When you leave here, I will grant you more of your power. You will live, however, in an area that I suggest.”

I nodded, that was possible.

“Four days,” he hissed as he leant away from the door and stood tall. Part of his forehead disappeared from my sight.

Four days. Then my life would begin again. A new chapter, both for my life and my future. One where I would be able to hold various freedoms, those which had been denied for me, but also where there would be constraints. I turned my back on him and went towards the bed, grabbing a book as I went.

“Char …”

“See you in four days then,” I waved a hand at him.

Professor Charles
08-02-2018, 06:35 AM
“So … the whole court is alive with the news.”

I lifted up my eyes from the book I had been reading for the last four hours, and saw her angelic face in the grill. 'Queen’ her name meant, and though her position as a laundry and kitchen assistant did not equate her to that level at all, she both held her opinion and held herself in that way. For a moment I tried resisting, but then a small smile flickered onto my lips.

It did not take me long to realise what she spoke of. Between Morningstar leaving me and my reading there had been some hours. A new accord had been struck between us - one that sung of a new arrangement. Even though it was still favourable to him, I had gained new ground in succeeding to having him agreeing to my gaining back more of my power. That, after all, was one of the parts to my plan of freedom; my magical power, and gaining him to the heights of legend.

“We have some more of an understanding of where we are situated, yes,” I nodded, slowly closing the book.

Regina paused, before she raised her eyebrow. “And he spoke to me alone, saying that he encourages whatever this becomes.”

She did not gesture or look in a meaningful way, but I knew what she was referring to. This. Us. A woman I could look in the eye and give her as much respect as she gave me, yet still have a wealth of subjects in which to disagree and debate upon.

“Well it depends if you are coming in or staying there,” I replied, tilting my head, watching her.

Did I really want a relationship with this woman? Indeed, I liked her. Massively, despite our differences in opinion. She was smart, funny, bright and bold. But she also worked for the man who wanted to have a hold over my life. A man who was also desiring Regina and I to be connected beyond anything. This was just another hook that he would have in me.

But then who else, seriously, would I have? And this had barely even begun. As I mused the door opened quickly, and Regina stepped in, her long black hair swaying with her short and sharp movements. She shut the door as fast as she could, peering through the grill before the orc Fallon came. The guard grunted, and slid the locks home, sealing me within, alongside her.

Then he closed the grill, this time without a second’s hesitancy.

My answer was there before me as this time she walked straight over, a shimmer in her eyes. “He has said you are here for four days.”

“That means five,” I replied, watching her as she came to stand directly in front of me at the edge of the bed.

“That suits me fine,” she shrugged. “You?”

I blinked for a moment, before I leant back against the bedstead. “What would your parents think of you, dating me?”

“They would be delighted, for it is within Lord Morningstar's pleasure,” she answered almost directly. “And mine. What would your parents say?”

My lips curled into a smile. “I have but a single parent, and that is Khaos, the void or creation and destruction. From it I stepped as a being of Order, along with all my siblings.” I paused. “I am older than Morningstar by the way. Technically he's my younger brother.”

“Then I am honoured to be offered this opportunity to … date you,” she said, and I inhale a quick breath at the word. So she was designating it already in something more than just sex. “Even though you are a barbarian, deserving of every punishment.”

“Easy on the compliments,” I said, as I reached for the book. “Can you …” I gestured to the desk behind her. Pausing a moment Regina curled her fingers around the book. Her eyes remained on mine, breaking only briefly to lean back and shift the book from the bed to elsewhere.

Now leaving the bed free. She spun back, and smiled pleasantly.

“What do you say?” she asked.

I paused, “what are you asking?”

“To 'us’?”

I had not had a relationship since the Queen of Death. Sephora was the one woman in my life whom I had fully invested in a race with, placing in my heart and my physical well-being. She could have told her husband about us at any moment, and we only ended it when she got pregnant.

Truly, I still did not know the father of that darling princess. But I had left that to time. She was better, after all, being raised in a world where everyone supposed she was a pure blood royal, through the King as her father. I was but the Ferryman, a servant.

And here I was the enemy. But wanted. And there would be no way of easily escaping Morningstar's clutches over the foreseeable future. First, I would need to gain my power back, and secondly, I would need to make him the hero he had always dreamed of being.

I shrugged, looking right at her. “Whyever not.”

Garron
09-04-2018, 06:17 PM
Thread Title: An Alternative Method For Gaining A Girlfriend
Type: Basic Rewards

Professor Charles receives:

EXP= 2000
GP= 300

Rewards to be added soon.

Garron
09-04-2018, 06:38 PM
Rewards added.