PDA

View Full Version : Logan checking in from Hurricane Harvey

Logan
08-29-2017, 10:35 AM
Hey all! I know a good number here still know who I am, and I know a few are probably curious about what is going on here in Houston.

1) The apartment complex I am in is still miraculously without water in apartments. We barely have water in our driveway/parking areas, and even that is minimal.
2) We're an island. The only street out of the complex is literally a small river (I have video, if anyone would like to see). Neighbors have ventured out for walks and have told me it is too deep to drive, and nearly too deep to walk.
3) I had stocked up on food before the storm, and so we're faring fine in that regard.
4) We have electricity, and have kept it the entire time --knock on wood--. CenterPoint has kept 85-90% of their entire subscriber base with power consistently, and that is incredible beyond words.
5) We have running water, though the pressure has reduced steadily.
6) We're not totally out of the clear yet, and will still have 1-2 more days of potentially troublesome rain before we make it through the to end of the storm.
7) The recovery here is honestly going to take years.
8) The media isn't overselling it. This storm is literally the worst flooding event in US history (recorded, at the very least). The amount of water is staggering, the amount of impassable roads and freeways is staggering, but through it all I have found solace in the kindness of random strangers stepping up to help one another.

Anywho. This is not meant as a 'I'm back' thread, more as a 'Hey, for those who might be curious, here's the lowdown' thread.

Ashla
08-29-2017, 10:52 AM
Praying that you stay safe!

Philomel
08-29-2017, 11:08 AM
Hope you're safe and will stay so xx

Philomel
08-29-2017, 11:25 AM
Just heard that the dam has overflowed.

Hope you are okay :/ x

FennWenn
08-29-2017, 12:10 PM
Ahh, that's really sucky. I hope things get better rather than worse. *Pats!*

Atzar
08-29-2017, 12:22 PM
Hope you and yours stay safe. Scary stuff.

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
08-29-2017, 12:26 PM
Stay safe you sexy bastard. If you need anything, in whatever form I can provide any assistance, just ask.

redford
08-29-2017, 12:38 PM
glad you're good, friend

Logan
08-29-2017, 02:25 PM
To all: We are continuing to do well, and it appears the worst is behind us! (HALLE-FRICKIN-LUJAH!) (ps - Red, it's coming your way)

Youtube videos for some idea of what is going on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qqmZGHGAEc This video shows the retention pond just outside our complex. There are trees 3/4 of the way covered. Where the water line is next to that fence, is normally farther away, roughly 100-200ft farther away, and at least 15-20 ft down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ATHkG33IC8 This video shows the only street out of the complex. The fence/gate is the way out of our complex, and that is our driveway that drops into the river of what used to be that street.

And we are some of the lucky ones. Crazy, nuts, unfathomable, etc. I just have lost the words to even describe what I am saying. The heart of Houston is strong, though, and it is being shown to the world.

Nightspoison
08-29-2017, 03:49 PM
I have family in Houston who thankfully we're all out of town when Hurricane Harvey hit! XD Glad your safe Logan, I think your the person I remember lol I came back to the site like 2-3 months ago! Anyway glad everyone in Houston is safe and glad your well and welcome back!