PDA

View Full Version : I'm That Kind of Writer Who...

Ashla
08-31-2017, 07:29 PM
List your quirks as a writer.

I'm that kind of writer who...

- Is a dominantly visual thinker who thinks through pictures, not words. I know exactly what's usually going on, but I struggle to put it into written words...
- Even Citadel fights are used for character development!
- Needs to be completely focused to write.
- Writing setting still feels like a chore... With figurative language and technique it's getting better though!
- LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE!!!! :D

FennWenn
08-31-2017, 07:48 PM
~ LOOOOOOOOOORE!

~ I like writing setting, which I hear is a lot like how I like drawing hands?

~ Probably uses wayyy too much and too chaotic descriptionary details, but ahhhh those are run.

~ Enthusiastically tries doing too many things at once, oops. (I've realized that I may not be able to finish much more than this singular solo before Althyday, let alone six of 'em...)

EDIT:

~ Makes ten hundred npcs. Some of them might be relevant? Most are just me messing around, oops.

~ Needs to write moar.

~ Uses so many tropes very intentionally.

Briarheart
08-31-2017, 08:23 PM
...enjoys small-scale world building more than creating entire universes and casts of hundreds.

Storm Veritas
08-31-2017, 08:28 PM
~ struggles to keep lore straight and has to look up Althanas bestiary / lore to not make mistakes
~ writes in waves, largely dependent on work load

Shinsou Vaan Osiris
09-01-2017, 07:01 AM
Is inspired by very cliche stuff and does a terrible job of transforming it into something that is non cliche.

Breaker
09-01-2017, 09:54 AM
Is capable of making subtle stylistic changes but largely unaware how he does so.

Philomel
09-01-2017, 09:58 AM
has too many ideas for stories and keeps dropping my last project to work on a new one.

Projects ongoing currently:
- novel, The Rabbits of Dollarfield (Watership Down set in the future)
- Ferryman (much of greek myth told through the eyes of Charon)
- Realm of Stars (working title, epic fantasy stuff)
- Fabled (collection of fairy tale characters who didn't get their happy endings)
- ALL OF MY ALTHANAS STUFF.

*sigh*

I am one of those writers who writes too much. And exhausts myself.

Amari
09-01-2017, 10:21 AM
-one of those writers who gets super excited for things and really shits off her RP partners by bugging them a lot (Sorry Shin and Lye and Fenn and Andy and....ahh fuck it, everyone I've ever written wtih)

Nightsangel
09-01-2017, 04:03 PM
Also a writer who gets super excited about things she is writing in! Probably bugs her rp partners as well! Sorry if I do I try to be patient but I enjoy the story! Also probably needs to work on incorporating setting more into her writing I seem to heavily focus on character details...I think...

Mask of the Warden
09-01-2017, 11:49 PM
- Is influenced heavily by what I'm currently listening/reading/watching.
- Recognizes that conflict breeds interesting characters, but has trouble balancing conflict with downtime.
- Runs hot and cold on different characters making writing with one when not in the mood hard to do.

Aenon
09-04-2017, 06:01 PM
- Have ideas for characters that could potentially be very interesting ... then struggle to get them on to paper as I am not sure the exact 'perfect' way to write them and almost want them to write themselves.

- When I do start writing, I don't stop for a while as I get fully immersed into the story but all grammar and structure, gradually breaks down until all I have is an over detailed scene .. eventually I gather together enough will to check it over and spend too long going back over and fixing 'issues' that the story falls that I gradually dig the story so deep at one point, I can't find an easy way out.

- ... sentences that are too long.

- Also heavily influenced by what I am currently reading and so try to combat this by reading / listening to more (in theory different things) ... but inevitably I get into a theme.

Currently it is books that are based on Games / being in a Game:
Ready Player One - Ernest Cline,
Off to be the Wizard - Scott Myer,
Opening Moves - Cosimo Yap and
NPCs - Drew Hayes

Though despite the similarity Aenon actually came about before I read any of these so may have been more of a precursor to the theme rather than result of this time ...

Ashla
11-18-2017, 03:24 PM
Most people: This song really touched me, this relates to me a lot!
Me: This song really touched me, this relates to my fictional character a lot!

- I have zero motivation...
- Terrible Writing Advice literally has helped me more than all the "top ten ___ to avoid in your writing" articles combined.
- I'M SO SORRY ASHLA BECAME A MARY SUE!!!
- I never complete any of the solo's I start...
- Many writers take constructive criticism by lashing out and fiteing. I take it by obsessing over everything and burning out before finishing my next project.
- I'm lazy. I never get any writing done regardless.
- I have all these ideas and plans but I never actually write them.
- I'll quit writing anything for a month or so then suddenly get back to it more refreshed. But I have no idea where I left off now...

Flamebird
07-17-2018, 10:22 PM
- I'm finally overcoming the laziness!
- I'm steadily becoming the person who nags their rp partners to post... sorry.
- I get tedious over physics, historical martial arts accuracy, and tiny details.
- I try to stay away from writing cliche tropes but I enjoy writing cliche tropes. I feel like a bad writer for this.
- I can't write villians. Or at least enjoy it.

Flamebird
05-21-2019, 01:25 PM
• "I have so many characters, what do I do with them-HEY, I HAVE A NEW CHARACTER CONCEPT!"
• Should they just explain their backstory or is it flashback time?
• *After writing ten millionth first chapter draft* THIS SUCKS! *Flips table*
• Reevaluating the entire story because I spotted a plot hole.
• Twenty billion hours of research later: "I still have no idea how to describe a murder stroke."
• MOAR SHOCKING DEATH SCENES! MOAR GRIMDARK! MUST BE DARK AND "REALISTIC" ENOUGH! - Ew, my story is too dark. This is so depressing! I should lighten up the mood here - GAH! PEOPLE (as in Star Wars "fans") HATE LIGHT HEARTED STORIES! ADD IN MOAR BLUD! - I hate how depressing and gloomy this is! I need to add a scene where everybody just has fun... - OH MY GOODN-
• *In front of blank word document* Wut aer wherds?
• *Drowns in research*
• Good thing my entire self esteem hinges on how good this rough draft is! :D
• "This song would fit amazingly for an AMV for character 18,052!"
• *Religiously binge watches Terrible Writing Advice*
• *Sees Bible verse* Hey, that could inspire a new sub-plot!
• Please in-depth evaluate my story and characters, YouTube analysis youtubers?
• *Never actually writes anything.*
• My own story confuses me...
• *Writes characters rap-battling each other instead of writing the story itself*
• *Makes flow-chart of weird technology progression*

Sage
05-23-2019, 01:30 PM
I am the type of writer who...

Has no idea what I am actually doing.

Max Dirks
05-26-2019, 02:09 PM
-Talks big, then doesn’t actually write :(

Elthas
05-26-2019, 11:30 PM
I'm that type of writer whose just here to actually write lol.

Less talking...more writing.