PDA

View Full Version : Off the Trail (Open)

Nevin
09-29-2017, 01:44 PM
The sun was shining, birds were chirping, trees were rustling in the wind - and Nevin was heartily cursing up a storm. He'd gotten directions to the mining town and had been following them rather faithfully - right up until he saw a patch of uncommon herbs growing in the brush a few yards into the tree line. Since he had rather depleted his medicinal herb stock, he had gone after them almost as soon as he saw them. Unfortunately for the him, this had quickly spiraled out of control as he went from bush to flower patch to clearing, working his way deeper and deeper into the woods as he tried to find the best specimens.

The last time he had seen the path, or any sign of civilization, had been three days ago, and he was well and truly lost. He knew enough to keep from starving to death in the woods - but it was only a matter of time before he ran into something he couldn't handle if he couldn't find his way out. Two days ago, when he had come out of his collective obsession, he had almost had a panic attack as he realized the situation, but he had managed to calm down. Picking one direction he had tried his best to stick to traveling in a straight line - but he had no idea how successful he had been.

Currently he was sitting at the edge of a small clearing in the trees, his back propped up against an oak tree, chewing on some venison jerky as he grumbled to himself about his poor impulse control.

Elthas
09-29-2017, 02:33 PM
(Looking forward to working with you Nevin. It's me, Pav. My characters are Elthas/Lorenor/Nosdyn. But I'm joining this thread with Elthas. Let's see what happens!!!)

Meanwhile...

Somewhere relatively near to Nevin's current position...Elthas stood deep in thought.

The Forest of Ruild in general had a way of changing one's life...oft for the better...sometimes for the worst. Elthas knew The Great Tree had it's own agenda. It was the larger teachings of his people. The Forest Elves of Ruild. (Concordia Forest) What brought Elthas to the Stonevale region of Corone a few days prior was a delivery he had to make for The Elders of his people. With the delivery complete, and the receipts and documentation in his possession...Elthas was free to wander off on his own. He listened to the various songbird and insect life of Ruild. He knew some of the animal calls and what not...but was not an expert in field tracking just yet. He was still learning. That area near Stonevale had some unique herbs and other plants, like fungi and roots that had medical purposes. The Elders oft rewarded young Adventurers such as he for such stock.

Elthas knelt down towards a particular collection of herbs that was located at the roots of an oddly formed oak tree.

When he heard the sound of someone cursing nearby.

Though he lacked the senses of his people so far...he was blessed with the other gifts of The Great Tree. Speed and reflexes. Elthas's initial impulse was to go assist the owner of the voice. His Father, Halm Belthasar, a Hero from his people...taught Elthas the meaning of right and wrong. The difference between good and evil. Elthas heard the owner of the voice making quite a bit of noise and decided to emerge from his own position. Elthas saw a Hume talking to himself. (Hume means Human) Elthas looked at the fellow for a moment and was trying to assess why he was so far away from Stonevale herself.

Elthas carefully walked towards the lad. "Are you lost?" Elthas asked casually. Elthas was a Forest Elf. He wore the fancy dress and attire, of a high society elite from Radasanth though. He seemed fairly out of place in the wilderness..though truth be told he loved it in Ruild proper. Elthas wore black that day, a double-breasted fancy shirt that showed off his athletic physique. Also, he carried his personal effects and belongings in a back pack. His belt sturdy and well formed. He carried a signet locket that was emblazoned with the symbols of House Belthasar. He wore gloves to protect his hands with, black baggy suit pants, and a pair of leather boots.

His long flowing hair was tied back into a ponytail. One major characteristic of the handsome young Elf was his angular features, and pointy ears. They were quite long. His eyes also...they had a mysterious glow as if affected by the aether in that area of Ruild. Elthas was armed primarily with his daggers, the blades that Halm Belthasar constructed for him specifically. Elthas stood in front of Nevin and waited for a response from the fellow. Elthas could not hide his excitement at being able to talk to a Hume.

Nevin
09-29-2017, 03:25 PM
(I look forward to it, pleased to meet you!)

Nevin nearly leapt out of his skin when someone spoke nearby. He had not noticed this person's approach - but he had been muttering to himself which would have made that hard to achieve in the first place. He scrambled to his feet as he brushed his gloves off - and then he looked at the person who had spoken, processing what had been said as his eyes took in the new arrival.

Long black hair, pointed ears that looked as long as his dagger, ethereally glowing eyes - and extremely fine attire that looked better suited for a noble's ball than a forest. Almost reflexively, Nevin looked down at his own clothes - dark green cloak, hood down showing his short red hair, brown tunic over a simple long-sleeved white shirt. Black form fitting gloves firmly in place on his hands, brown leather trousers, and wood-reinforced leather boots -- the man felt distinctly underdressed.

He swallowed and shook his head, focusing his thoughts back on the fact that... Wait. Was the Elf bouncing? No, that had to be a trick of his eyes. Right. Focus.

"Ah. Yes, I think I am. Unless Stonevale is in that direction?" He pointed west, in the direction that he had been walking for two days. Then Nevin blinked and shook his head before bowing his head. "Sorry. My name is Nevin,
sorry for imposing on the woods." That was probably why the Elf looked so tense, right? He was getting ready to defend the forest? Sweet crimson, what if the Elf got upset because Nevin had been picking herbs? All Nevin had close to hand was one simple iron dagger - his staff was laying on the ground and his crossbow was strapped to his backpack, also uselessly laying on the ground. Nevin swallowed, suddenly nervous.

Elthas
09-29-2017, 04:02 PM
Elthas thought about everything he had just learned.

He was afraid...at least a little bit...I should have been somewhat more careful. I didn't intend to scare him. But Elthas heard a word spoken in the man's Common Tongue. Stonevale is where he is heading...I can guide him there we are not far off. Elthas knelt down for a moment listening carefully to the songs of the area around them. The songbirds, the insects...everything had a vibrant ebb and flow that Elthas knew to discern a bit at a time. He was still learning. "You were not imposing." Elthas stood up to his full height at that point. He nodded towards the man. "Ruild has her own natural defense mechanisms. The Elders taught me that much. If you were imposing you would likely have been stopped by force by something alive here in Ruild."

Elthas considered his manners. "Forgive me lad, my name is Elthas Belthasar." Elthas nodded a simple and humble greeting. "I can accompany you to Stonevale. I was just there." Elthas explained calmly. "Ruild provides us with what we need to survive." Elthas considered the situation at hand. It was afternoon still, and they were not in any immediate threat. However, nightfall would be more dangerous. He wanted to guide the lost Hume back to safety as soon as possible. "We still have a considerable amount of time before darkness falls." Elthas explained. "May I ask what takes you out to Stonevale?" Elthas found the Hume agreeable, he hoped they would become fast friends.

Nevin
09-29-2017, 04:18 PM
Right. OK, scary fancy elf doesn't currently want to make me a filet for trespassing - though from what he said about the forest stopping me, it's a good thing I was being precise and careful about the herbs I selected. Score one for cultivation, I suppose. Nevin took a deep breath and smiled slightly, the expression only slightly stilted. If... Elthas? Right, that was his name. If Elthas wanted to hemp him out, that was more than fine with Nevin. Keeping one eye carefully on his new guide, the apothecary picked up his pack and staff, settling the bag on his back.

"I was traveling there to try working on setting up a new shop, and possibly finding a new smith to apprentice under. My former teacher had to let me go due to... Familial concerns." Even now, Nevin wasn't sure if his master had been concerned about his own family... Or Nevin's. Still. In Stonevale, he wouldn't have to worry about negative associations, outside of being a new face in town.

Now that Elthas had mentioned it though, Nevin was rather anxious to get out of the forest before another night fell. He'd heard.... Sounds. Strange, unknown noises in the night's he had been inside the woods, and he had a feeling if he hadn't gotten lucky and found 'caves' under overgrown trees to hide in - complete with pushing mounds of dirt and forest debris into the openings - he might not have survived unscathed like he had so far. He swept the end of his staff in an inviting gesture.

"If you'd lead the way then, good sir?"

Elthas
09-29-2017, 06:18 PM
He's one of them daft Wizard types I think... Elthas was observant and noticed the staff the fellow used. "Stonevale is a good place for you to start such a journey. I'd be willing to join you every step of the way." Elthas said with a smile. He removed his fancy fedora hat from his packs. Then he placed it atop his head. A slight forty five degree angle was visible when he placed it on his head. It was how he liked wearing his hats. Elthas looked at Nevin. "I was delivering a parcel from The Elders of my home town. My own town is not too far from this place." Elthas explained as he started forward with Nevin following. "We're actually not far from Stonevale. Not sure how you got so far lost though." Elthas said with a soft smile.

There was something about Elthas with his glowing eyes...he had a kindness that lurked in them. It was a genuine kindness that was visible in his eyes. And he sincerely cared for others...especially helping The Humes of the world. Elthas kept a careful ear out to the wind as he considered their location in Ruild. So far...they were not in any immediate danger. But that could change at a moment's notice. Creatures from the wild, or bandits, or worse. But Elthas would defend his newly found friend. The Elf considered the location they were in...many Herbs and other plants were prevalent in that area. Perhaps he'd been farming them and that's how he got lost? Elthas wondered for a moment. I have to make sure he stays close. Elthas felt his boots barely touching the ground as he moved. "Stonevale is a few yards in that direction." Elthas carefully pointed towards Stonevale. "You were not terribly far off." Elthas wanted to make small talk.

He was curious of Hume culture and wanted to learn everything he could about them.

Humes in general, fascinated Elthas.

Of The Humes he'd come across...the daft folks in Stonevale were the ones that Elthas liked the most. Radasanth Humes, with the exception of The Order of Ai'bron...tended to lack manners. For the most part, but there were some that were agreeable found in Taverns and Pubs usually. Elthas carefully adjusted his hat. Then, as was his nature when he felt nervous, he started to sing in the tongue of his people. The Elvish tongue was a dialect used by The Forest Elves. It was perfectly suited for singing, and Elthas had a good and soft singing voice. The words flowed out easily enough, and he sang in a low voice trying to keep himself calm...

Nevin
09-29-2017, 06:53 PM
Nevin wanted to punch himself. He had been closer to escape from the woods than he had thought - though if he had kept going on his original route, he had no idea how long he would have been stuck. Well - no matter, this jaunty hat wearing Elf had decided to help him - and for that Nevin was grateful, even if he did still have a chill dancing on his spine about how quietly Elthas had shown up. He just hoped that he wouldn't regret trusting the Elf. It would be rather upsetting if this friendliness was just a masque to get a victim.

But no, Nevin felt like he could at least offer some modicum of trust to the Elf - aside from the glowing eyes he didn't have too much magic about him, and from what Nevin knew Elves, Forest Elves at least, generally held no truck with sacrificial magics. Of course he could be a rather elegant bandit - but between the two of them, he doubted he had anything that the Elf would consider valuable.

So. Offer trust, and follow him. Nevin swallowed past the knot of nerves in his throat and set off in the direction Elthas was walking. As the Elf started singing softly Nevin worked on how to respond to the questions he had been asked. He knew how he could answer, but he was not ring to figure out a way that didn't make him seem like an absent minded dolt.

"I... Was restocking my medicinal herbs. The woods here are replete with herbs and plants for alchemy, and I'll need those to get my shop running.
I know a remedy that is supposed to help with miner's lung, so figured that that, along with the other potions and salves I can make, would see me setting up quite nicely." And getting a reputation as a friendly, helpful alchemist would serve him well in masking just how some of his wares were made.

Speaking of - Nevin was careful to mark the route that they were taking to get to Stonevale. He would need to be coming back out here - both for the plants and herbs he could cultivate out here, though he did intend on making a small garden to grow the most common ingredients near his shop, but also for the hunting he would need to do. He knew that while he could make restorative potions with normal alchemy, his best sellers, the most effective ones... Were made with his other talents.

Still, as they walked, the Elf's singing was slowly pulling his mind out of its tense state, slowly and bit by bit at a time.

Elthas
09-30-2017, 12:58 PM
Medicinal herbs... Elthas stopped singing. "There's an apothecary in Stonevale. You should seek apprenticeship there." Elthas would admit he knew dreadfully little about the Alchemy arts...but he was willing to help a fellow out. He considered the situation at hand, and after taking a few more steps forward, they emerged from the watchful confines of Ruild. Elthas blinked as he saw the harsh sunlight ahead and up ahead even further a ways, lurked Stonevale. They'd been walking for a few hours without incident. "I know some folks in Stonevale." Elthas nodded. "I can get you introduced and squared away. There's a popular inn in town as well. You'll make fast friends there." Elthas explained as they walked towards Stonevale, still emerging form the forest. Elthas always did dislike leaving the forest of his people but he was certain it would be all right every so often to do just that.

Elthas looked at Nevin at that moment. "Where do you want to go first?" He asked, curious as to what the lad might have in mind.

As he considered the situation at hand, he wondered what else he could do to help. "The guards here are a friendly enough lot." Elthas explained. "Just keep on the right side of their laws...Corone laws...and you should be all right. Good mix of folk in Stonevale, all types of trade work to be found. You can also purchase transport to Radasanth when you're ready to travel." Elthas could not help but wonder where the lad was originally from. Elthas had lived in Ruild most of his life...so he was a native to Corone herself.

"There's a school that accepts all type of students and some other facilities. You'll come to learn of soon enough. I'll help you make introductions to places I know about." Elthas felt the air was different near to Stonevale. It was not the same air in Ruild. However...he'd grown used to busy city life. Though truth be told...he preferred the simple life of his people. He narrowed his eyes against the harsh light of the setting sun..."We should make town before night fall my friend." Elthas said calmly.

Nevin
09-30-2017, 01:38 PM
"Ah, thankfully for my sanity I do NOT need to subject myself to an apprenticeship in the alchemic arts, I am fairly skilled at them, enough to manage a simple shop. It's blacksmith work I'll need to eventually find someone I can work for,
though that will have to take second string attention to my business if I can get it running. Though I do appreciate the offer of guidance to the town and introductions, I'm sure I'll need them." Keep on the right side of the laws, hm? Nevin didn't think he'd have too many problems doing that - he did tend to keep to himself most of the time anyway, and so long as the town didn't have any restrictions about experimentation that he might run afoul of he didn't think he had to worry. He didn't think he would be looking into travel away from the city just yet - not to Radasanth for sure, not unless he needed to hunt something that lived there.

Getting out of the woods was a relief to him. While he wasn't nervous about forests in general, being in an unknown set of trees, surrounded by creatures he may or may not have even heard of yet, didn't sit well with Nevin. He'd need to come back here later for hunting but for the moment - his stomach growled. Loudly. He grimaced and looked down at it before rummaging in the pocket where he normally kept his travel jerky. With a start he realized that he must have dropped the remainder of the food back in the clearing where Elthas had startled him, which meant now he had no food. And while they could see the town, they wouldn't reach it for a while yet. He cast an eye back towards the trees and frowned.

"Do you think there's anything close enough for us to track down and...." Scabs. He had no idea if Elthas ate meat. For all he knew, and his knowledge was admittedly limited and likely skewed, Elves were hard core vegetarians. "Ah, forget I said anything."

Elthas
10-02-2017, 06:05 PM
Elthas listened when Nevin spoke and nodded with a kind understanding.

He found Nevin to be quite agreeable a specimen for The Hume race. As he stood there he realized that Nevin was probably referring to Yark's old shop. Yark was one of the blacksmiths in town, and Elthas knew the fellow from his early youth. Yark was a stout lad, as far as Hume's went and Elthas was certain Nevin would find the older man agreeable as well. As they walked and Nevin began talking about tracking down things...something clicked in Elthas's mind. He stopped walking at that point and looked at Nevin with a mischievous look on his handsome face.

"You mean hunting yes? There's all manner of sport here in the area around Stonevale." Elthas rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "The inn pays a premium for fresh game stock. And a few other places on top of that do as well. Some of the critters near here have organs and such that are used in medicinal practices." Elthas thought carefully. "I can take you hunting once you're situated in town." Elthas smiled at the thought. "Me and my family run parcel between Stonevale and my home town. It helps for delivery to Radasanth and matters of that nature, you see." Elthas wanted to introduce Nevin to Yark fairly quickly, and he was also certain that Nevin was probably pretty hungry.

"I'm probably stranded in town for the night anyway so I would like to help you out and get you situated." Elthas looked towards Ruild with a longing expression in his eyes for a moment, but knew from personal experience that the night-time dangers in the wild lands were all too real. It would have taken Elthas at least a few hours on foot to get back home and it was already getting dark. He accepted that The Great Tree brought him Nevin for a reason. "Yark's smithy is over that way. Come with me and I'll make proper introductions for ya." Elthas said calmly and prepared to guide Nevin into town and towards his old family friend, Yark.

Nevin
10-02-2017, 08:23 PM
Nevin followed the Elf through the dusk-lit streets of the city. He did feel a bit bad now - now that it was fairly safe to believe that Elthas wasn't some kind of bandit, Nevin realized he had probably had other intentions for his day than leading a lost idiot back to human civilization. The man's comment about being stranded in town for the night only served to confirm that. This wasn't his home, and most likely, if he worked with his family as part of a delivery system, they would be concerned and wondering where their family member had gone off to.

Still. No help for it tonight - maybe he could make it up to him by helping him hunt something in the woods nearby, and Elthas could take it back to his family as a token of apology? And gratitude, considering the Elf was showing him the way and also being kind enough to give him an introduction to a local smith. It would probably take a few days to set up some kind of arrangement with the smith about learning from him, but having a proper polite introduction could only serve to make that easier. As they strode through town, Nevin following after Elthas closely to avoid getting lost again.

While they were making their way through the small mining town, Nevin made sure to note a couple empty shops, places where he might be able to open his alchemist's store - and he also noted with some pangs in his stomach where taverns were. Right then - he would get introduced to this... Yark? An interesting name - no matter. Get introduced, some pleasantries as the situation required, then head for food posthaste. He could start making up his debt to the helpful Elf by paying for a meal, perhaps.

Elthas
10-03-2017, 03:52 PM
The smithy was fairly reputable in Stonevale.

There were several smiths, including a Mastersmith named Yark Enndroth. He was a stout Hume in his late forties but was in very good shape. Working the avnil and hammer all of his life made the older gentleman quite strong physically. The smith shop had a healthy mix of Humans and Dwarves, even an Elf or two working in the forge. The Elves who favoured the blacksmith arts worked their craft in the tradition Elvish style. Elthas knew one of the Elves in the forge as well, a fellow named Llukrath. Llukrath looked up from his work station and smiled at Elthas and his companion.

Llukrath was an older Elf, a refuge from Raiaera. He'd taken an instant liking to Elthas and his family. Llukrath greeted Elthas warmly, as friends might. "Elthas, my boy. Did you get stranded in town again? Your Mother must be worried that you didn't make it home again."

Elthas grinned at his friend. "Is Yark around? I got an introduction to make him. Potential for 'prenticeship." Elthas motioned towards his friend Nevin.

Llukrath nodded. "Yark's in the back. When you're done speaking to him, I'd like a word with you, Elthas."

"Of course, my friend." Elthas shook Llukrath's hand warmly. "Come with me, Nevin. Yark's out back."

The back area of the smith shop looked a bit like a junk shop. Various larger projects were strewn about the yard, and several apprentices were working on this or that. Elthas saw Yark up ahead and walked towards him. He looked at Nevin. "That's Yark, let me speak to him for a moment, wait here." Elthas said to Nevin and walked over towards Yark.

Yark was busily hammering away at a larger-scaled project for a wealthy client. Yark paused for a moment, wiped the swear off his brow and turned his attention to the approaching Elthas. "Ah, you're back are ye? Lookin' for more work?" Yark asked.

"Need a favour." Elthas explained the situation.

"That boy right there you mean? Don't look like much. Little rough 'round the edges if ye ask me." Yark looked at that boy, Nevin. "Don't be alarmed lad, ye are among friends here." The huge armed blacksmith motioned for Nevin to approach. "Now then, let's hear yer story, boy." Yark said and waited for Nevin to approach.

Nevin
10-03-2017, 04:54 PM
Nevin watched as Elthas explained what was going on, folding his arms over his chest as he watched the slender Elf talk to the burly smith. He couldn't make out everything that was being said, but it was evident from the way the black-clad Elf gestured to him a few times that they were speaking about Nevin. Finally the Smith raised his voice and asked for Nevin to approach, as Elthas stepped aside from him.

One short red eyebrow twitched in irritation as the smith said he didn't look like much, but Nevin clamped down on the anger that sparked in his stomach, beating it into submission. Instead he plastered a smile on his face and strode over, bowing slightly to Yark as he approached.

"Good afternoon. My name is Nevin,
Nevin Aimaparapoiitis. I've actually worked in a smithy before - I was apprenticed, and had just started learning to make simple weapons and armor when my former master had to let me go. No fault of my own!" That sentence came out quickly, as being let go from an apprenticeship generally meant that the individual in question had some negative quality or another that drove them out. Nevin waved one hand placatingly to diffuse Suspicion, then rummaged around in his bag and pulled out an envelope. He handed it over to Yark, who opened it and began to read as Nevin spoke.

"Master Lord's nephew came of age and his sister in law demanded that he be apprenticed to my master. Unfortunately my former town was rather small, and Master Lori couldn't afford to have two apprentices. Rather than force him to choose between myself and his family, I suggested he send me out." Yark nodded in response to all of this then folded up the letter and handed it back over to Nevin, studying the redhead with a gimlet eye.

"And what is it you're wanting to do here? That letter mentions that you're also an alchemist,
picked up a trade already, why not stick with it?" Nevin rubbed one arm, the glove chafing against his white sleeve. Eventually he sighed and shrugged before explaining.

"I'm probably about journeyman rank in Alchemy - I know the ingredients and how to make them, and I know quite a few recipes already. However the alchemist I learned from passed on of old age, and I found myself.... Drifting, for lack of a better word. Master Lorm helped me out at that point, and I ended up apprenticing to him to help pay him back for his kindness. But now that I've started learning to be a Smith, I don't want to leave it half-done. If possible, I would come work every few days at your convenience, learning and helping, while also running my own alchemy shop." For a long few minutes Yark stared at him, making Nevin start to grow uncomfortable before he finally snorted and shrugged.

"Fine, do as you'd like. Speak to my chief journeyman. He's an Elf that Elthas knows. The two of you can work out a schedule - but to it tomorrow,
at the lunch hour after you've gotten your business up. I don't need you trying to do that when you don't even know if you've a shop to work at yourself." With that Yark returned to work, clearly dismissing Nevin. The redhead was actually surprised - this was more than he'd expected, for sure. He turned and headed back inside, looking for the Elf that Yark had mentioned.

Elthas
10-05-2017, 02:49 PM
Elthas observed Yark and the newly acquired apprentice very carefully. When Yark mentioned Llukrath, Elthas nodded. He turned towards Yark and thanked him for his attention to the situation at hand. Then, Elthas proceeded to walk with Nevin as the boy proceeded back in the smith shop. "Yark is referring to Llukrath, he's a friend of my family." Elthas said casually. "Let me make the introduction for you, Nevin and then we can proceed from there." Elthas generally liked being a social fellow.

He knew most folks liked to keep to themselves, but Elthas was very much a social butterfly. He walked towards Llukrath and addressed him. "Llukrath." Elthas bowed his head carefully. Then he explained the situation to Llukrath once more. First to Yark, then to Llukrath himself.

Llukrath looked at Nevin with an understanding expression. "Alchemy shop, huh?" Llukrath considered what he'd just learned. "Elthas take him to speak to the Clinic in town, they could use more apothecaries. Also...there are a few plots in town for a new work shop. If you can get the permit..."

"I'll pay for it." Elthas suddenly said. In his adventures he'd amassed a considerable fortune on his own. "It's to help him out and I consider Nevin a friend." Elthas turned towards Nevin. "Show him your introductory letter. And then work the scheduling out as Yark explained it to you. When you're ready we'll seek out the apothecary within the clinic. There is someone you need to speak to there before you start." Elthas hoped that Nevin understood the gravity of the situation at hand. Elthas had offered to vouch for Nevin. Further, he'd offer to pay, out of pocket, for Nevin's shop. "Plus, I know Stonevale can benefit from a dedicated Alchemist." Elthas considered the situation, if he ran the shop with medicines and other potions...Nevin would make a killing on the open market. It would be a valid business deal.

Elthas rubbed his chin as he waited for Nevin to take care of things with Llukrath...

Nevin
10-05-2017, 03:23 PM
Nevin was staring at the Elf now, wholly suspicious. He had distractedly handed Llukrath the message, his eyes scanning Elthas intently. On the surface, the Elf he had met in the forest seemed entirely genial, friendly and outgoing in a way that jarred Nevin, and grated at rough edges he would prefer left alone. The other man seemed to have no problem talking to everyone he came across, and they all seemed to like him well enough.

But he trusted Nevin, trying to help him purchase a shop to set up his alchemy in. Or, more likely, he was trying to take advantage of the new guy. Be nice, be friendly, help him to town and help him get set up - and then make sure he knows you're indebted to him. Nevin rubbed his left arm unconsciously as he took a half step back, giving his head a slight shake.

"No, no, there's no need for you to do that Elthas." If the offer was genuine, then Nevin would regret turning it down later - not having to pay for the shop would be a boon as it would give him far more funds to work with in getting ingredients to work with. "I actually have saved up the money myself to pay for a shopfront, and gathering the ingredients is simply a few trips into the forest to get started, as I already have the tools. No, no I could not impose in such a manner on you, not after you hav already introduced me to a potential new teacher." Here he nodded in Llukrath's direction, and the other Elf raised a delicate eyebrow.

"And I think meeting the clinic and apothecary can wait for the morning - for tonight, I think perhaps food and rest would be best, and we can work on more introductions on the morrow." Hopefully Elthas wouldn't raise any objections to the change in the course of plans.

Elthas
10-05-2017, 06:46 PM
Elthas considered his friend's objections. There's now way he has the money to afford the shop on his own. Unless he's more resourceful that he leads on... Elthas considered the newly found mystery. As he looked at Nevin and Llukrath he nodded in consent. I don't like leaving him without help...but I will do as he asks... Elthas thought to himself. He looked at his friend with a soft smile. "The old Inn is a good place to get a warm bed and a hot meal." Elthas said calmly. "I must speak with Llukrath about a matter. But I will join you at The Inn on the morrow." Elthas said calmly. Then he nodded gracefully towards Nevin.

At that point, he walked over towards Llukrath. Elthas greeted his friend warmly. "Llukrath...you said you had a matter to discuss?"

"Yes, my boy." Llukrath began. "I just received word that the parcel you sent to Radasanth was sent safely." Llukrath said. "Further, there is another matter we need to talk about."

"Go on." Elthas said calmly.

"I have talked to The Elders of The Great Tree about setting up permanent trade between Stonevale and there." Llukrath considered what he was about to say. "The Elders were pleased with the idea. There would be need for consistent Runners between Stonevale and The Great Tree."

"I see...so you want me to stay on a more permanent basis?" Elthas asked.

"Elthas...there are few Runners between the towns these days. Runners make good money, but I know you're far from interested in that." Llukrath continued. "I need someone who can act locally and run between both towns at will, operating independently." Llukrath explained.

"Would I be working out this shop or Stonevale in general?" Elthas asked.

"I knew you would not let me down." Llukrath's expression lit up. "I need someone local for now. For tonight though, get some rest and be ready to work tomorrow." Llukrath said calmly.

"Llukrath...thank you for taking on Nevin as an Apprentice. I think he will do great things here." Elthas said.

"No Elthas. Thank you for bringing him to us...if you had not been there he might not have ever made it to Stonevale in the first place. Your Father has taught you well. Thank you for honouring The Old Alliances." Llukrath said.

"I always will, Llukrath. Upon the name of my Family, I swear it!" He smiled and bowed towards Llukrath.

"Go with The Great Tree's blessing my boy. And return to us tomorrow." Llukrath went back to work.

Elthas walked out of the smith shop. For a moment he stared in the direction of the old inn. He was certain Nevin would have been there by that point. Instead, he decided to sleep by old trees as was customary for his people. He raised up the hood of his cloak, stared off at the direction of the old inn again and smiled softly. He nodded and walked back towards Ruild..he would not enter it at night on his own, but he could find a quiet spot by some trees to sleep against. After all the land...the forest...belonged to no one. Hume or Thayne alike.

~Fin~

Nevin
10-05-2017, 07:18 PM
Nevin bowed to the two Elves - in gratitude to both, one who had managed to guide him to town, and the other who had agreed to let him continue his apprenticeship working under him. The fact that Elthas had not pressed the money issue further almost made the red-head regret rejecting the kind offer, but instead he mostly felt relief that Elthas didn't seem upset by it, though there had been a moment of an odd expression in the Elf's eyes. Still, beyond the parting pleasantries the two did not seem to need or want his company, and he was... Content with that. He had a plan of action for the man who ring - a loud growl from his stomach prompted Nevin to stride out the door.

It was fifteen minutes later that Nevin realized that he had a significant problem in front of him. When he had left, it had apparently slipped everyone's minds that Nevin did not know the town, or know how to get around it. There had been no clue as to where the Tavern that Elthas has mentioned actually was - and at this point, Nevin wasn't even sure he actually remembered the name of the place correctly. But that wasn't his real problem. The true issue that was currently perplexing the alchemist, and had indeed made him realize that he hadn't gotten directions...

Was the fact that he was once again outside of town. Close enough to still be 'in' it for most purposes of the word, but really all that were around him at this point were small farmer's huts, fields, and the occasional guard post. Nevin reached up with one gloved hand and massaged his temples in aggravation - before stopping a passing man and asking him for guidance to a decent inn where he could get a hot meal and sleep, as he was new to the town. The man laughed and guided him to the Wooden Trumpet, a moderately large inn that at the very least sold mead and bread, and the bed that Nevin collapsed into wasn't swarming with mites. It was enough for him, for that night.

~Fin~

Philomel
10-06-2017, 02:49 PM
Name of Thread: Off the Trail (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?414-Off-the-Trail-(Open)/page2)
Type of Judgement: No Judgement

Rewards:

Nevin (http://www.althanas.com/world/member.php?136-Nevin) receives:
990 EXP
149 GP

Elthas (http://www.althanas.com/world/member.php?21-Elthas) receives:
968 EXP
132 GP

Inclusive of 1.5x under level 5 Stonevale bonus.

“Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars, not if you care for such things.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

“I didn't know that idiocy caused people to just start spontaneously bleeding from the nose.”
― Veronica Roth, Allegiant

Philomel
10-06-2017, 02:53 PM
All rewards added.

5 starter AP also given to Nevin.