PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Novels

Garron
09-29-2017, 04:22 PM
I'm always looking for a good fantasy fiction novel, or series to dig in to. Others here may be too. Please post any that you have enjoyed in the past or enjoying now and share! A Song of Ice and Fire is one series by George R. R. Martin I've been reading for years and waiting... for Winds of Winter. The novels are great, but never indulged in the HBO show. T.V. and movies have a tendency to shank the real story sometimes. So... here I wait patiently for Winds of Winter. xD

Philomel
09-29-2017, 05:14 PM
Good series I have read recently ...

The one which comes to mind is the Spells, Sorcery and Stealth series, starting with NPCs, then Split the Party, then Going Rogue. It is a series that starts with a group of RP'ers around a table who all suddenly die ... but is really about a group of reluctant adventurers who find a bunch of dead bodies in the pub that one of them owns ... Hopefully you get the picture. It is about the NPCs in the real world of a D and D type RPG. It is amazing and honestly fantastic. Amazing character development, amazing people.

Garron
09-29-2017, 05:21 PM
That sounds interesting to read! I've also been reading The Saga of Recluse series by L. E. Modesitt Jr. too. It's pretty interesting and captivating.

Kadir
10-01-2017, 03:37 PM
The Belgariad series by David Eddings was pretty good.

Nevin
10-01-2017, 03:46 PM
Belgariad and Recluce are fantastic - Modesitt's other storyline about Imagers (can't remember the names) is also good.

Piers Anthony's Xanth series is fun if you like puns and poking fun at magic; The Wizard in Rhyme series by Christopher Stasheff is also a good, long running series.

Philomel
10-02-2017, 09:18 AM
Abhorsen series by Garth Nix is always good :)

Briarheart
10-02-2017, 09:21 AM
I'm not high on fantasy fiction nowadays, but the Johannes Cabal books by Jonathan L. Howard are very neat.

Child Detective
10-02-2017, 11:04 AM
I enjoy "The Kingdom Series" as well as it's sister Series "The Knights of Arrethtrea" by Chuck Black. Another series I enjoy is the "Tales of Redwall" by Brian Jacques. Of course there is also the "Inheritance Cycle" by Christopher Paolini, "The Chronicles of Narnia" by C. S. Lewis, and of course "The Lord of the Rings" by J. R. R. Tolkien. All of them are great books though I don't know many people who haven't at least heard of the last two. If you want a more modernistic fantasy try "The Giver Series" by Lois Lowry. The fist book doesn't have much of a fantasy element to it but it becomes more fantasy as the series progress.

Duffy
10-02-2017, 11:20 AM
Shut your mouth and go and read In The Name of the Wind and the Gentleman Bastard series right this minute.

That is all.

FennWenn
10-08-2017, 08:18 PM
DOES NO-ONE KNOW OF JIG THE DRAGONSLAYER

DISCOVER THE JOYS OF JIG THE DRAGONSLAYER, GREATEST FANTASY DECONSTRUCTION EVER

Jig, why did I leave you at home

...also I read a YA Faerie-based modern fantasy novel called The Darkest Part of the Forest, by Holly Black. Guilty pleasure.

ArcanaFate
10-09-2017, 01:28 AM
The Night Angel Trilogy and the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks is fantastic. Read Night Angel first since it's already concluded while Lightbringer is on book four and will supposedly conclude with book five? Totally in love with the series and the forms of magic in each series is so interesting and captivating.

Nevin
10-12-2017, 11:38 AM
Most stuff from Mercedes Lackey is fantastic. The entire Valdemar series, though the Magic's choice set is probably my favorite; Bedlam's Bard series is also good.

Garron
10-17-2017, 06:38 PM
Gonna toss in The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.

Garron
10-17-2017, 06:45 PM
Oh! I recommend Perfume by Patrick Suskind also. If you like twisted horror-kinda fantasy stuff... This author is great.

Nevin
10-20-2017, 06:16 PM
I'll toss in a sci-fi series, I'm a fan of The March To The Stars series by John Ringo. And the Vorpal Blade or whatever series that is, also by him.

Garron
11-06-2017, 05:01 PM
The Darkover series by Marion Zimmer Bradley and Deborah J. Ross was pretty good.

Philomel
11-06-2017, 05:09 PM
Love the Brent Weeks stuff too :)

Tyr
05-30-2020, 04:18 PM
I've been reading the Lives of the Mayfair Witches series by Anne Rice. On Taltos of the series now. It's all been good in my opinion.

Tyr
06-03-2021, 04:20 PM
Anyone reading anything that is pretty good?

Rehtul Orlouge
06-11-2021, 12:48 AM
My suggestion is always FIRST to read the Riftwar Cycle from Raymond E. Feist, starting with Magician Apprentice