PDA

View Full Version : You know this is how rumours start...right? I mean I guess this ship HAS sailed

Eteri
12-01-2017, 07:22 AM
A few weeks had passed since the 'incident' and Eteri in her typical Eteri fashion came and left as she pleased. Nevin had been right in the assumption that the less-than-stellar cat-lady would feel better having a piece of him around with her. It did make her feel strangely at ease. Parts of her thrummed with delight. Of course, those parts were also Pode, and when a fragment of a dead forgotten one is thrumming with delight within your chest you are probably going to be in for a bit of a bad time.

But, if a segment of Pode were to be in anyone, the safest place it could possibly be in is a wandering, carefree catgirl who has no home, no worries, and no soul of her own.

Wait, that last part is probably important, isn't it?

Regardless, let's continue....

-----------------

I was walking through the town of Radasanth, late evening. It was that time of day where the sun was almost set but not quite. One of my favourite times of the day. The sky was a brilliant shade of orange and everything was bathed in a nice warm glow. It was...nice.

"Miss."

I kept on walking.

"Miss! Miss! Excuse me Miss!"

Oh wow, those flowers were pretty, I paused to look at them. I wondered if Nevin liked flowers, I reached out and swiped one - shoving it in my mouth. Bleh. Bitter. (What, sometimes I can't help basic instincts.)

"Miss!" I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around. Pollen splattered around my mouth as I was chewing on the remaining petals. "mmm?"

A rather well-to-do looking woman gave me a look that as somewhere between aghast and petrified. She wore what I assumed to be high fashion clothing, I base my assumption on this with how gosh down floofy her gown was. I could fit under that thing. My tail twitched.... I wanted to try and fit under that thing. I took a step forward ready to do so.

"Are you alright?" A second girl asked. Oh crap! There were two more of them, I almost didn't see the other two girls (who were in my opinion dressed far more appropriately, still fancy but not so floofy.)

I looked up. "Et tu?" I didn't understand the question, I glanced at my right hand. "Yes. Am Right hand." They proceeded to laugh at me, the poofiest one, I'll call her poof did so behind a fan she hid her mouth behind. Wow. Like in the pictures you see. I huffed, feeling frustrated. "What? What funny?"

"Nothing, darling. I assure you." Said Poof. "We have seen you... " She paused as her eyes danced up and down my figure. "Gahlavahnting around these parts recently, and you often visit that redheaded man's home. Do you live there, perchance?"

Well.. that was a weird question. I didn't really have any home. The two closest things I did have was Nevin's place, and Barchie's place. "No. Just visit."

More giggling.

Poof continued with the questions. "Oh, so you visit him mostly at night...how daring of you. Forgive me for asking such an uncouth question but...have you slept with him?"

This time it was my turn to laugh, I gave a snort. What a ridiculous question. "Of course Eteri have!" I said as I crossed my arms over my chest. "Many sleep. First time was...on kitchen floor, then in bed. Then Eteri do so much Eteri get own little bed."

Their faces had gone quite red, and they stopped talking to me to mumble discreetly between themselves. I tilted my head to the side, not understanding. Hell I didn't understand what the word uncouth was.

"So...miss...?"

"Eteri!" I said. "I am the Eteri."

"Quite. So Miss Eteri, would you call yourself, a woman of the night?"

I blinked. Did she mean I like the night time? "Yes?"

"Oh my...you're so bold and brave to state such things without a care for your reputation. Of course..." She gave me a dark look. "You don't exactly have one do you? You just wander the streets to do as you please, sticking your nose in all sorts of things don't you?"

I have no idea why she said it with such distaste, all of that sounded great. "Yes! Is fun!" I exclaimed.

"Essie, don't be so mean. Let's just go." One of the other girls finally spoke up, tugging on poofs long sleeve (Or Essie, I guess but I prefer the name poof)

"Tch. Fine." 'Essie' gave me a dirty look. "You're done in this town, harlot." She muttered as she turned away. The girl who tried to get her to leave shot me an apologetic look and said sorry.

Thing is, I had no idea what just happened. I wiped my mouth onto the back of my hand, removing any pollen residue. What was a harlot? I'd have to ask Nevin... but first... oh yes first... I turned back to the flower stand, there wasn't anyone around. I confidently picked up a group of large, red flowers, (They were Tiger Lilly, I know it was cause my sister said she didn't like them, how can you not like something with TIGER in its name!) But it wasn't for me it was for Nevin.

I held the things in my hand and proudly headed to Nevins shop. I neared the front, turned down the side street and shoved the stem off the flower in my mouth so I could climb up and into his window. Their leaves tickled my nose and I tried so very very hard not to sneeze. Now in his room I placed the flowers on his bed. Not before ripping off a couple petals and trying them. hmm, these ones tasted much worse than the other, sort of bite-y.

"There." That would be a nice surprise for him. I said as I hid the one flower I had eaten a few petals from underneath the others. He would never know.

Normally...I'd go say hello to him but I knew he was tinkering and working with all sorts of things. He got so gosh darn obsessive with them and I knew how it'd go. He'd greet me then get all 'Eteri you're in the way! Eteri don't drink that! Eteri your tail just knocked over a MONTHS worth of work!

Besides... I had another surprise I was working on for him.

I headed to the other side of the room which had been partitioned with a hastily hung up thick velvet curtain. Midnight blue, practically nailed into the beams that ran across the ceiling. This side was small but it was my side, and it was actually kinda nice. Clothes, cloth, sheets and blankets along with many pillows were strewn across the floor I sat myself down and pulled a large vial out from the satchel that held my souls. Every so often, I'd leave it here. It was the one thing I'd never have leave my side, so it was.. strange... that I felt safe enough to leave it here. I pulled out the one that contained Nevin's soul and let it waft out in front of me and began my work.

It was...tedious to say the least. This wasn't like a normal soul, where you'd pull a few loose threads and womp womp! Done, this was two souls trying to merge itself into one....over the past week I had painstakingly separated them and now I was weaving them back together, strand by strand so they would evenly interlace. So far....I was only about 1/4 done but I was making progress. You could see the progress now. The hue of the parts I had woven together were...

well the were pretty. Luminescent red with strands of violet and dark hues of blue, the threads colouring bled together harmoniously. This is what his soul should look like. I wanted to show him that I, Eteri, Could fix it, and with this little piece he coudl see how it feels and if he didn't like it...I'd simply not do the rest.

I mean... I have to admit, I was selfish, and kept a small part of his soul the way it was before for myself. That was safe, that was always with me.

A few hours had passed and I was feeling a tad light headed.Actually, I wasn't feeling too good. My mouth felt a little swollen and it was sooo itchy. I glanced at my hands...they were all splotchy, I sighed. My fingers were beginning to swell up and that wasn't good for work. So I carefully guided the soul back into the vial. Before I was able to put it away a thought occurred to me... it, it wasn't that Ayaka didn't like them... it was that she said they were poisonous.. oops...

Well! I wasn't too scared, I was worried but not scared. I was in Nevin's place and he made all sorts of antidotes! I bet he could make me a really nice and sweet one, one that tasted like candy. I coughed, and heaved. Oh .. Oh crap I just threw up all over my bed...Looks like I'd be sleeping on Nevins again tonight. I threw some blankets over the vomit to hide it. haha! There, none the wiser.

Sleep...

yeh.. I need that right now. I shifted away from the vomit and curled up into a ball, shielding and hiding myself with more pillows and blankets (not the ones that were covering the vomit mind you) My sides sorta hurt...so I'd sleep off the pain and get an antidote from Nevin after dinner. Yeh. That would be good...

Nevin
12-01-2017, 08:34 AM
Nevin paused in his brewing,
leaning back in his chair and wiping his forehead of sweat as he listened to the movements outside of his door. Slight, soft, hurried footsteps that hesitated near his workspace door for a moment. For a few seconds he was concerned - but then he heard the person outside continue walking, just long enough to reach the bedroom. Or, properly, to reach the alcoved area that Eteri had been setting up for herself.

He shook his head with a rueful smile. It seemed his sometime roommate had returned once again. The blue-haired soul weaver had been gone for a few days this time, after jumping up to give him a kiss on a cheek and telling him 'Is surprise no follow', she'd bustled out of the store and been gone for... The alchemist glanced at the calender he kept in the office and talked the days. Four days now. The longest she'd been gone at one time, but, she had left some rather important things here so Nevin had known she hadn't decided to just up and leave him entirely.

It was strange, having her around the store. She tried to be helpful - and often times, she was. The cat girl had a surprising ability to bear down and focus on something, but only when it suited her needs. Otherwise, she was somewhat flighty. At least he had managed to convince her to stop charging into his workshop whenever she got the slightest bit bored - the incident where her tail had smashes through the vials of a potent antidote for belladonna-based poisons had finally made him draw the line at her curiosity.

In the last couple of days, while she was gone, they had begun again. The rumors, of him having a hot little thing - as one particularly raunchy rogue had accused him two nights ago - or of a regular patron who was living with him. Aside from correcting people that while she did live with him, right now that was all, Nevin had ignored the rumors - and Eteri hadn't even been present in town that he knew of when these ones started, so he hadn't had a chance to mention them to her yet. Of course, knowing the cat girl, she wouldn't even really care, or fully understand, the rumors if she heard them.

Nevin finished the solution he was working on and carefully bottled it, storing it away from the open heat source, and then finished cleaning up and shutting down the workshop. Things were progressing smoothly now, and he was building up a sizable stockpile - a very important thing, considering his new long term goal of running the corrupt Alchemist's guild here out of business. Soon he would have enough of his typical wares in back stock to begin expanding his products offered here, and in truth he was looking forward to it. But for now - for now it was time to head out and check on Eteri. Normally she would have come and knocked on his door to at easy let him know she had returned, and her continued silence was mildly concerning.

So out of the workshop he went, bare feet padding across the floor. Not as quiet as Eteri on her literally padded cat's paws but he felt like he managed fairly well. The store had been locked back up and was empty - so it had definitely been Eteri who had come in. So with a soft smile on his face he headed towards the area she had claimed for himself.

Only to pause, eyes widening, as the smell of sick-up reached his nose. Nevin broke into a run and ripped the curtain back, revealing the area where Eteri slept when she didn't wander to his bed. The sight before him tore at his heart.

Eteri lay on her side, her chest rising and falling in quick, sharp breaths. Her eyes were glazed over and unseeing, and a thin trail of drool was pooling up under her head. Splashed in front of her - and with the smell of more coming from under a set of blankets in front of her- was vomit. A heartbeat passed, then two, and the alchemist sprang into a frenzy of motion.

His threads burst from him, tearing apart the sleeves of his shirt as they shot out, weaving together into ropes and cables that he quickly used to scoop the woman up. He brought her away from the stained bedding, and carried her out to the middle of the workshop, his eyes flicking around to see - chewed plants. Lilies from what he could see which shouldn't have been a problem, a bit strange to eat but -

Cat girl. Cat girl, and that looked like tiger lilies. Nevin cursed under his breath long and hard as he realized what had happened. The plant was poisonous - but not to humans, to animals. There was no specific antidote for this for him to work with. Carefully tilting Eteri's had to keep her airway clear with his hands, one woven group of threads shot over to the shelf where he kept the emetics. He didn't have time to go get the key from the back - not when he didn't know how long she had been suffering.

So his threads tore the guard off the front of the shelf, letting the mesh fall to the ground with a clatter. Eteri started at the sudden noise, and Nevin started stroking her hair and murmuring to her, soft reassurances as his tendril snatched up the emetic. Once he had the right vial in tendril, another snatched up the empty wooden bucket that he used to clean up spills, and brought it over to them.

He shifted, pulling Eteri up into his lap so she was leaning against him, her back against his stomach and her head against his chest. "Eteri, honey, I know you don't feel good right now. But I need you to be good and drink this, okay it's going to taste bad but it will help." Nevin gently cradled her head in one arm, using his hand to open her mouth enough to fit the mouth of the vial of emetic in. She tried to weakly struggle against the foul tasting medicine, but Nevin kept a firm hold until she finally swallowed it to get it out of her mouth.

Beat. Beat. Nevin watched as her tail thumped against his leg, grimly impassive, and then - snatched up the wooden bucket as Eteri's eyes went wide. He managed to get the pail in place just as she began fetching, and managed to keep any of it from splashing onto her as she fully emptied the contents of her stomach out. The hand that had been holding her head up now rubbed small circles on her upper back, an attempt to comfort her through what he knew had to be miserable.

Eteri
12-01-2017, 09:04 AM
Everything...hurt...I felt weak...I struggled as I heaved another loadful into the bucket, body shivering. My throat burned and itched. My lips felt like they were on fire and my eyes felt puffy as I struggled to open and close them...I felt cold. Lightheaded and was shaking uncontrollably. What happened... how did I get here with Nevin? I know I ate something bad, but it couldn't have been that bad surely. I've ingested all sorts of weird things before, including a Coronian coin, and some slimy jelly which I was pretty sure was sentient. I didn't want to be here... I didn't want to be awake

I just wanted to nap.

<"I feel really sick...">

Even though I was speaking my native tongue, Nevin seemed to know what I had said, judging from the circumstances it was an easy guess. "It's the emnetic, its forcing you to throw up, you will feel better soon I promise. What were you thinking?"

My stomach felt empty now, I stared listlessly at the floor and the swirl of mess in the bucket. What...what was I thinking? Oh.. the flowers. <"I wanted to..to surprise you...I've almost finished..."> I lifted a shaking hand back toward the room. I had planned to show him today. That's why I got the flowers. I was going to give him them and be like "haha that's the surprise!" And when his guard was down. BAM! Double whammy! I'd show I managed to weave his soul together. Even if it was just that tiny piece. I wanted to show him how pretty it could be. I tried to push myself off of him. I wanted to show him. I had to show him. <"Come. See."> I think... I think I was feeling better... I wasn't vomiting anymore. Still freezing..still shaking...but no more vomiting.

I placed one foot on the ground then the other...then...the world went blank.

Her body fell out of his lap and collapsed onto the floor, eyes rolling into the back of her head as her body twisted and contorted in violent shakes, her mouth foamed with a white froth. The seizure lasted only a few seconds, but once all was said and done, Eteri had stilled. Mouth still slightly agape. Tiny bubbles lining her dry and cracked lips.

"Eteri? ETERI!?"

I awoke to Nevin shaking me, his calloused thumb wipng fluid away from my mouth. I furrowed my brows. What happened? <"I'm tired....">

I felt him press me closer to his chest. The warmth was comforting. I shut my eyes listening to his heartbeat. I wasn't fully aware of why he was so worried about me. Sure, I felt a little off but nothing a little bit of rest wouldn't fix. He held me tighter than normal and even in his strong grip I could feel shaking. No..no that wasn't me shaking (I mean, my body was shaking, but that wasn't what I had felt) He was.

"Nevin?"

"Don't Do that to me." He begged with his head buried into the crook of my neck.

<"I don't..understand...what did I do?">

Nevin
12-01-2017, 09:45 AM
Nevin was not ashamed to admit that when Eteri stopped moving in his arms, he may have panicked just a bit. He had to keep her alive while he figured out how to reverse the damage that the plant had done to her while it was in her system. But the problem was, he didn't have the kind of medical equipment that he would have liked to have to keep her breathing and her heart beating. All he had was -

This would hurt. But she was already hurt, suffering, and so painfully still. Nevin took a deep breath and from over his chest threads began to emerge, weaving into what would look to any observer like a large spike with a painful tip. Nevin's skin tone paled as this spike began to glow with a brilliant crimson hue, lighting up the interior of the building with an eldritch glow. He took a bother, shaky breath, and the thread spike slipped into Eteri's stomach. The glow faded from the room - and she began to move again, weakly.

It was working. Nevin watched, breathless, as her chest began to rose and fall again, and she stirred. He gritted his teeth and pushed. The thread between them glowed again, in a wave that rolled from the alchemist to the cat girl, and when it reached her it spread out, defusing across her skin and bringing more color back. If there was anyone who could see what he had done, they might have called him an idiot.

Bu he would do it again with no hesitation. Sacrificing some of his life force had restarted her bodily functions, enough to keep her going now that the worst of this was over. The spike of thread slipped out of Eteri, leaving a red mark on her stomach where it had merged with her skin. The rest of his threads were moving more sluggishly now, as they gathered medicines and antidotes. Now that it - now that she was not in immediate danger of death, her symptoms mimicked some poisons, enough that a general serum should help.

Getting her to drink it took effort - and in fact, drastic measures. Trying to hold her mouth open wouldn't work - the serum just trailed out of her mouth before she could swallow it. Grabbing another vial, Nevin took a deep breath - then poured the medicine into his own mouth. He leaned forward quickly and sealed his mouth to hers, keeping it in until - until she swallowed and began to stir more. He sat up in time to see her start to open her eyes. A gentle thumb wiped some of the spilled medicine away, and then he pulled her close to him.

He didn't know what she was saying, but the confusion in her eyes made it clear. After wiping his face and pulling away from her neck, he shook his head hard, red hair flying around his face before he stared into her eyes.

"N-no eating strange things, Eteri. Almost lost you there." He knew his voice was trembling, like he was, but he didn't really care. He didn't know what on earth she had been working on, but it was in no way near necessary for her to almost die for it. It couldn't be worth it.

Eteri
12-01-2017, 10:05 AM
I smiled weakly, my vision still blurry as I reached out to touch his cheek. "Is want show now?" I asked. I was determined... I was determined to show him all of the hard work and effort I had put into it since we began. Sure, I had a piece of his soul in a locket around my neck - but the rest of it...the rest of it... I had... I had... crap... It was really had to concentrate. I furrowed my eyebrows. Did Nevin look paler than usual? Or was that just me?

"Eteri, that can wait." He grabbed my hand and squeezed it tightly. "You need to rest. Tiger Lillies are toxic. Very toxic. If I hadn't..." he trailed off and his head lowered and again pressed into my neck as he gave me a tight squeeze. "You would have died."

Died...I would have died?

I blinked slowly. "How can die if no soul?" I asked. Not really realising how macabre that sounded. I tried to push him away but didn't have the energy to. Instead I let him sit there holding me tightly as he steadied his shaky breaths.

"Don't say things like that."

"Okay..." I said. "Only if take Eteri to room...is where surprise is."

He seemed hesitant to allow me to move. "You won't stop till I do that, huh?" He gave a laugh, it was a mix between relieved and deflated. It lacked the energy and brightness his laughs normally had. He slowly lifted me and staggered, as though it took effort...it had never taken him effort to do this before. He took me to the room, one of the tendrils had taken the flowers, blanket and all and thrown them out the window before he set me on his bed.

"I'm not taking any risks." He said sternly, no doubt catching my expression. I had wanted to give them to him..and he just threw them away. No matter. The bed was comfy..."Satchel..." I mumbled in a scractchy voice. Nevin nodded and disappeared behind the curtain before returning, he placed it in my hands. I grinned weakly and looked up at him as he sat down on the bed next to me. Slowly rubbing my back.

<"Your soul is very...unpleasant t-to look at Nevin. But its not corrupt. I thought... if I could make it something more, without changing who you are..."> I fumbled around in the satchel, unaware I had switched back to my native tongue before I pulled out the vial and placed it in his hands.

"Your soul." I said before allowing myself to collapse onto his lap, I shifted my face so I could see his reaction. Would he like it? Would he see how beautiful it was?

"Want me put inside. See how feel?" I asked breathlessly as I reached out to press a fingertip to the corner of his mouth. "Smiling?" He looked so drained and said...and I didn't like it. Not one bit.

Nevin
12-01-2017, 03:02 PM
Nevin stared, silent, at the shimmering colors in Eteri’s outstretched hands. Red and blue bled together into a rich violet, woven together smoothly in an intricate dance of colors. But the smooth, elegantly joined threads of color were not what had the man staring dumbfounded at it. This - this was no simple surprise, this was so much more than Nevin had even thought possible.

And she… She had nearly died trying to make this for him. He didn't know what connection the tiger lilies had to this, if maybe she had to put herself in a near-death state in order to work on his messed up soul - but whatever the case was, she had nearly died, and it was only sheer luck that he had come out of his workshop in time to save her.

“Oh.” Eteri flicked her ears up at his soft word, and Nevin reached up with one hand to touch his cheek just below his eyes. His fingertips came away glistening with moisture, and he realized that there were tears trickling down his face. Eteri had nearly died, and all she had been trying to do was fix his twisted soul. His hand shifted to cup hers where she was poking at the corner of his mouth.

“I…. Thank you, Eteri. If you want to return this - I…” He bowed his head, squeezing his eyes shut. It was difficult to look her in the eyes right now, while she was clearly trying to cheer him up. “Of course I'll take it back. You did wonderfully with it.” His voice was thick. The alchemist didn't really know how to handle this, or how to handle the concern in Eteri’s gaze.

Eteri
12-01-2017, 05:14 PM
He liked it! At least I think so.. He did have tears coming out of his eyes. Crying... wasn't crying normally a bad thing? I cannot recall a time anyone ever cried and was happy. Oh the shits! Maybe he didn't like it. I panicked and squirmed in his arms, twisting my body round so I could get a better look at his face. "Why liquid?" I asked as I watched him wipe them away. He blinked and squeezed my hand tighter.

"Eteri... This is...why did you almost kill yourself for this?"

Now I was even more confused...ugh...I felt too sick to try and comprehend what all this meant. What was he talking about? Weaving his soul like that didn't kill me. It didn't hurt, I mean sure.. I stayed up pretty late a few times but that's nothing compared to him Mr. I-sneak-off-when-I-Think-Eteri-Is-Sleeping-To-Do-Alchemist-Work. Granted the flowers nearly did kill me but- that was just an unfortunate accident. Bad coincidences. All I wanted was to get him some nice flowers as a sort of trick surprise so he'd be even more surprised at the real surprise...now that I thought about it... my plan didn't make a lot of sense. I groaned as I lifted my hand to my head. Ouch. That's hot.

"Doing Eteri nice all time." I said as I lifted my arm from my head and took the vial from his hands and with a great, great, great deal of effort opened it... My hands Still shook. They, along with the rest of my body still had the shaky-shakes. I think I was dealing with things surprisingly well... a little too well...but I wasn't in the right frame of mind to question it.

"Sister say Eteri always selfish. Is true. JUST one time want to show can not be." With my other shaking hand I tugged at his chest and the worn part of his soul come loose. I wove the fixed part back in before letting go, my hands feeling like they were tied to something really really heavy. Like a crate of fish.

There.

Actually took a lot out of me...I jolted and bit back the urge to throw up again. Ops...nope... here it came... I rolled over and threw up over the side of Nevin's bed. Feeling guilty and horrid. There was nothing but bile left in my stomach and it left a bitter burning in the back of my throat. I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand. "Urgh...."

Turning back to him I continued with stuttered speech and shallow breaths. "I-if not like I keep. Is pretty s-s-so I keep."

Nevin
12-01-2017, 09:28 PM
Her body was still recovering from the aftereffects of the poison, that much was clear to Nevin’s gaze. If he had dared do it, he would have given more to help speed her recovery - but if he had done that, he knew he would have collapsed on top of her - and Eteri probably would not have known what to do if that had happened.

But when she slowly pushed the fixed portion of his soul back into him, Nevin felt a slow, spreading warmth that eased aches he didn't know he had. And - he felt a smile creep up his lips and he shook his head lightly before reaching up and ruffling her head, stroking her ears.

“You don't need to feel indebted to me and like you need to pay me back, Eteri. I treat you nicely because I want to, nothing more.” He chuckled, weakly, and pushed gently on her shoulders, toppling the cat girl over as she mewled in protest.

“Stay there and rest. I'll come join you in a little bit - I have to go clean up that mess so no one raises a fuss.”

“No go, stay and sleep with Eteri.” She reached up and tugged on one of his arms, trying to pull him down with her. Nevin almost fell over, as he barely had enough strength left to resist her. If she hadn't returned what she had to him, he probably wouldn't have been able stay upright as she pulled on him. But - but he was able to gently free his arm, and shift the blankets over her, tucking her in. He leaned over her and kissed her forehead.

“I'll be back soon. Just sleep, for now.”

Eteri
12-01-2017, 09:39 PM
The next few days were a blur. My body hated me. I hated me. Constant vomiting and shaking...fevers...gross medicenes that Nevin insisted would make me feel better but all they did was make me empty the contents of my stomach once more. I wasn't hungry and he had to force me to eat. Even some of my favourite foods. I just felt too tired. It was frustrating because I'd feel so lethargic and tired but I could never actualy sleep. It was like - whenever I closed my eyes and willed myself to take the train to sleepy-time junction my body went 'Oh Eteri you can't sleep now!' But Eteri wanted sleep. Eteri wanted all the sleep.

And when I DID manage some sort of semblance of sleep... I had nightmares and I'd get restless. I'd wake up in cold sweats...heckers, I even started sleep walking.

One time I was apparently sleep walking and Nevin had to stop me from stripping in the middle of the street. He was really flustered about that one. Said something about rumours being bad already. I didn't quite understand the concept of rumours... But..I barely understood anything right now. Sometimes.... I couldn't understand it was my own two hands that I had been staring at in front of my face....

But...

I was finally feeling better. As I tumbled out of bed I couldn't help but notice a red mark on my upper abdomen. "Eh?" I poked it and winced. It both stung and tickled. It wasn't there before. I know I had been in and out of consciousness a lot, and there were a series of events I didn't entirely remember. Strange... I should ask Nevin about it. I probably hurt myself somehow.

I was well enough to patter across the hall, judging from the light it was the early hours of the morning. Nevin wasn't in bed so he must be in his lab. He was spending lots of time in there lately... Also giving me lots of gross tasting things too. Him being in there meant another not so delicious drink for me. I grimaced and wished he would stop giving me medicine.

I knocked on the door as I approached.

"Eteri? Come in." his muffled voice came through. Good I was allowed in this time. (If he was super serious it became a no-Eteri-zone)

I opened the door to see him hunched over his desk, frowning. He sat up and glanced over at my less-than-healthy appearance. "You should be on bed rest. You fainted yesterday..."

Oh I forgot I did that. Pshaw...I needed to know what this mark was first. Nevin eyes widened as I lifted up my top. Higher, and higher till I could point out the mark to him. "what red thing?" I asked.

His face changed colour. Turning from a tired pale to a soft red.

Nevin
12-01-2017, 10:11 PM
Nevin stretched out his shoulders and suppressed a groan. The last few days had been rather hectic - and he had kept the shop closed in the duration - as he tended to Eteri and helped her through the poisoning she had done to herself. Even without the plant in her system, she had been ill for several days - ill, and apparently even more prone to sleepwalking than before. The scene in the streets would haunt him for who knows how long - as she shouted in the street about the fact that the clothes she was wearing felt too restrictive and he should help her take them off. That had been an adventure and a half - and he had seen several women standing in the back of the crowd, glaring at Eteri -he didn’t know why, but the fact that one of them had a fan stuck in his mind.

But, it was six in the morning, and the shop was quiet. Eteri had seemed to be doing better, and with a day or two more of bed rest she should be fully recovered. So he had taken this opportunity to duck into his workshop and start planning. He wasn’t going to brew just yet - but he began to take inventory of what was stored up in here, what hadn’t been used in his efforts to keep Eteri going. So he was sitting at his desk, writing, when he heard a knock on the door and told his part time roommate to come in.

When she pulled up her shirt to ask him something, Nevin’s eyes glazed over and she asked a question, but whatever it was the man did not actually hear it. Somewhere in the far back of his mind, a voice demanded he take what was being displayed. That voice was promptly shoved in a little box and thrown into the furthest reaches of his psyche. Instead, he swallowed, trying to fight down the intense heat in his cheeks, and slid his eyes down from - from - that was a strange black mark. It was right between her ...natural endowments, and its proximity made his mind stutter to a stop again for a few moments.

“Nevin. Nevin, what red thing? Nevin?” Eteri’s voice registered in his ears as she walked closer, but things were swaying and it was very hard to focus. “Ah. You not feel good? No worry, Eteri hug!” THere was a bright and chipper tone to the words being spoken, and then -

soft

Nevin reeled back, trying to pull away, but the catgirl had a firm hold on his head, hugging him to her chest, and when he pulled away he ended up bringing her with him. She ended on his lap, half-straddling him, as she firmly tapped his nose. “What red mark?” She poked her upper abdomen again, and Nevin finally could get a response out.

“That’s from… where I had to do something to save you.”

Eteri
12-01-2017, 11:17 PM
Eh? Why was he constantly either staring at me or doing everything he could to look away from me I squeezed him tighter..for good measure...he made an interesting sound and then murmured. Interesting... I gave another squeeze and he drew away, tilting his head to the side so he could take a few deep breaths.

Finally I got an answer from him, so the mark wasn't my doing. It was his. I furrowed my brow. "Is needle thing?" He nodded. Ok... Made sense...except it didn't leave marks before so why now? Did he have to do something more? I lifted my arm to inspect the place he had drawn my blood from. It was clear. I pressed my fingers against it. It didn't hurt. Something was definitely different. I shifted in his lap and he gave another cute groan, but he shifted his eyes to the floor muttering words under his breath.

Dammit why won't he look at me?

"Also why no look at Eteri?"

"well... I uh..."

There he goes again being all quiet. What is he doing? I needed to...investigate. I leaned in closer, I felt my skin graze the material on his jacket. He stilled. Hmm...wait..I had lifted my shirt up and he got all weird..Oh...Oh...

"OH!" It dawned on me, as all the pieces finally came together. He was uncomfortable with my body, more so my very exposed body. "Nevin I sorry!" I said as I clambered off of him. "Be back!" I half stumbled half ran to the room and opened his closet. l...Went through the pile of clothes and found a pair of UGH loose fitting pants. I bought them to my nose to sniff them. They smelt like him. I mean...obviously. They were his... But whatever. I put them on and tightened them around my waist before heading back to the workshop.

"Is better?" I asked a I extended my arms and did a semi twirl then...stumbled..ugh...dizzy...bad idea.

I plodded over and sat next to him. I shuffled uncomfortably, not liking the feeling of clothes. "Not used to this. Will try. Nevin..." I shifted the topic back to the red mark, and how it came about. "You didn't do no stupid did you?" I asked.

Nevin
12-02-2017, 02:11 AM
After she had hugged him tight and leaned back Nevin was very glad that she seemed to be distracted by other thoughts than rising issues. “It is indeed from my threads, but I didn't take anything out from you so I guess they left a mark because I gave something to you instead. That's the first time I've done that, so I didn't know that would happen. I'm sorry - it should fade in a few days. Uh, Eteri, honey, what is-”

Why, oh why did she have to chose then to ask why he was keeping his gaze on the ceiling? It was really the only safe place for him to look at the moment - she was close enough that if he looked down at all, soft orbs would be directly in his line of sight. And by Crimson, he was doing his damndest to continue to treat her like… Well, like family. Her speech and innocent outlook on life made him want to cherish and keep her safe - but oh, her physique and her unwitting actions were driving his thoughts down an entirely different path.

She squirmed in his lap apparently upset about his inability to explain his issue with looking t her - then leaned forward, pressing against his upper torso again and he did his best to bite back a groan in the back of his throat. Then, suddenly, she squeaked and launched off of his lap and ran from the room, apologizing as she went. Nevin stared after her, his eyes wide. Had she - had she actually realized and been embarrassed about what she was doing? That would be a first.

He was still in the process of recovering, taking deep, steadying breaths, when Eteri came back into the room. Dark red eyes widened in shock, and then his lips quirked in amusement. She had decided that stealing a pair of his pants was the solution to whatever problem had run through her head. His eyes traveled back up and froze - she had tried, breast her heart, her shirt was now half pulled down but the other half had, ah, caught part way down and stuck. She spun around, showing off - and Nevin was treated to the sight of the base of her tail, because his pants weren't designed with a tail growing from the base of the spine. He drank in the sight and shuddered as she moved over to sit down beside him, leaning her head against his knee.

“I don't, know what you mean by doing a stupid, Eteri. I couldn't let you die, and I did what I could to prevent that.” He tilted his head to one side, and studied her as he began to rub the top of her head. This girl had slipped inside of his defenses with surprising ease, and had carved a place for herself in his life that he found she fit quite comfortably in. She wasn't the only person he had grown close to quickly - but she was the only one he would even consider this casual contact with. Which was strange - he normally was not one for touching, even when he initiated hugs to his friends he normally felt awkward about it, like he was doing something wrong.

But… He knew so little about her. She had mentioned a sister once, before, saying she was the skilled one. Nevin thought the girl was being a tad hard on herself - the unexpected feeling of rightness and warmth and satisfaction coiling in his gut indicated just how talented Eteri was. Who on Althanas was she comparing herself to? He cleared his throat and started scratching the base of one of her ears.

“Eteri, I want to know more about you. You have family, a sister? What is she like?” Finding out more about her family meant finding out more about this bizarre little cat girl who had wormed her way into his life.

Eteri
12-02-2017, 02:34 AM
I shut my eyes. It was inevitable, eventually it always ended up being about her. "Ayaka older sister. Can see souls better than Eteri. Can not do soul seamstress like Eteri. But very smart. She speak lots language. She Alchemist she-"

"She's an alchemist?" Nevin asked, his ministrations against my head pausing. I felt a pang of jealousy tug at me. Everyone thought Ayaka was amazing. "Good one." I said, then, before he could ask any more about that I continued. "Ayaka look after Eteri when parents died."

"I'm sorry that happened." Nevin said.

I shifted my head shaking it. "No sad. Is ok. Is life. Got watch souls move on. Very pretty. Help with grieve." I said. I felt a tad...bad...chances were that my poor speech didn't help. I wished I were better at Tradespeak, then I'd be able to talk as fluently as Ayaka. I would be able to do so many more things. I sighed. My sister... "You Alchemist too...so will bump into her. She finds other Alchemists... trades secrets and knowledge, gets smarter. Ayaka likes money. Always scolded Eteri. Think Eteri too .. too what word for flip-floppy?"

"Flippant?"

"Think Eteri too flippant." I confirmed. "Can not make up mind. Too trusting. Does not do the good or the bad. Eteri ...." I paused. "Have many issues..." I finally admitted. There were things I didn't like thinking about. Let alone talk about...My fingers curled into a tiny ball and my torso curled around his.

"Issues?" Nevin pried. "Like what?" His hand fell to the mid of my back and he began to rub it in small circles.

I still felt dizzy and feverish...maybe that's why I was so comfortable talking about a life I'd rather forget. I mean, I guess not forget, but move on from. I wasn't entirely happy there. My fingers danced along his knee as I continued. "Not smart. Born no soul. Am known in clan as 'lost one' no soul sometimes die easy. Weak but Eteri grew strong. Lost one not very good with....with..." I scrunched my head, unable to say that people like me had trouble learning, had trouble articulating and behaving in a way that was deemed correct by social standards. "Nekojin is furry. All furry. More like cat. Lost one are too but sometime more animal...Eteri think.." I tilted my head up towards Nevin who ...well he was watching me, he didn't look angry or bored. Genuinely intrigued.

"This clan...what is it? What is your first language?

"Eteri from Ninyama. Many people from home can do the soul magic. Would put angry spirits to rest. Help dead move on. Eteri do too, but Eteri teased. People pretend not see because no soul."

I picked my tone up a bit, trying to brighten the mood. It felt a little too..sad for my liking. "Is ok though. Eteri travel lots places. No like still. Like explore, want see lots want help learn better. Eteri even make the friends. Eteri find happy places. Warm safe places. Places like this, is home."

Nevin
12-02-2017, 04:02 AM
Nevin stared at the girl who was leaning against him, digesting what she had said. It honestly sounded like she had a fair bit of sister worship going on in her head - which wasn't that surprising, if this Ayaka was the only person who had looked after and cared for the girl after her parents had died. It sounded like she had been an outcast, ostracized in her village just for who she was. He -

”Come off of it you idiot. You're never going to get chosen for the Empowered Priests. They don't come around here ever, all you'll ever see are our normal priests. And they won't let you study more than herbology here.” I glared at the man who had smacked me on the side of the head. My father, a tall, imposing man, and one who held position as one of the town elders. He did not agree with my desire to learn Alchemy, not in the least - but this was the first time he had actually laid his hands on me over it. I stood up right, ear throbbing in pain, and snarled at him.

“You can't stop me any more, Elder.” I saw his face stiffen at my words, and I knew my refusal to call him father had cut. I couldn't find it in myself to care though. “If I can't learn Alchemy here, I'll just go somewhere I can. I'm going to help people, and the Eternal Sway can't stop me without killing me.” I stared hard at his face, daring him to report my desires to the local church. He and I both knew that if he did report me the Hunters would happily string me up for unsupervised magical activities, even if I never even learned any magical skills. Finally, he caved, and looked away.

“Tonight. Leave, tonight. I'll tell your mother and sister that you are seeking to join a different chapter, one with more chances to get noticed by the Empowered.” I tried to hide my shock but couldn't. I took a step forward, reaching a hand up -

Nevin gasped, loudly. That had been - a memory? One that he couldn't remember before? But why now? He shook his head, suddenly a bit woozy, before focusing his attention back on Eteri. One hand cupped her chin and tilted her head from side to side, studying her with a slight tilt to his head as he brought himself out of the webs of memory.

“I think the word you're looking for is ‘animalistic’ - it means someone who is more in touch with a natural state, or more akin to animal nature.” And it was something he had noticed about her, for sure. And he shook his head at something else she had said.

“I would argue you are plenty smart, Eteri. Let me tell you something - I certainly can't speak two languages, not even a little. The fact that you can is seriously impressive. And let me assure you.” Nevin locked his eyes onto hers and smiled. “I do see you. And I'm glad you're here. I won’t try to tie you here - but I will say, my life seems a bit more… active and energetic when you're around. I've been told I'm a stick in the mud, so, I'll take all the help you want to give me. And just so you know, and trust your own abilities more - I'm remembering things I couldn't before. And I'm sure it is because of what you did for me.”

Eteri
12-02-2017, 04:36 AM
I wanted to sleep. I needed it.. Thaynes above I was so very, very tired

Emotional talks took a lot out of me. I was never good with them. They were always fleeting with me. Ayaka said it was because there was nothing to ground them, I guess she could have been right... I don't know...

I groaned as I rolled my head into Nevin's lap so I didn't have to deal with talking anymore. I'd have stared there, in that dark smooshy and warm place and I'd have fallen asleep but alas - that was not meant to be. Nevin's hand slipped down to pry my face away from his lap to peer into his large ** orbs. Dazzling in the flickering night of the lantern, and his back aglow with the faintest of light from the slowly rising morning sun.

I wasn't sure how true his words were. He could have just been making up lies to make me feel better. How would someones soul affect their memory? Was that a thing? I mean.. I had memories and I didn't even have a soul. Heck, the two mish-mash of ones inside of me weren't even my own and I didn't have any strange things happen. Still..

Wait...

I blinked. "Red?"

Nevin seemed slightly startled. "What?"

I lifted my head from his lap and instead slidded myself into it. I felt him stiffen up (in more ways than one) as usual. I knew that this sort of contact bothered him, and yet it was almost like I couldn't help myself. "Red." I said again. It didn't exactly clarify anything. So I reached out to brush my thumbs just under his eyes, hands cupping his face. "Is eyes. Thought black but red. Is..." I tilted my head. "Different. Nice."

We stared silently at each other for a few ...seconds? Minutes? More? I couldn't tell. At some point I felt his hands wrap around my waist. I think I heard him mention that I was sweaty... and still had a fever, that I should probably lie down. He was right. I needed to lie down. I needed to sleep... I needed to...

To....

Everything went blank, and the next second I knew, I had my lips pressed hard against his, my arms slipped around his shoulders to pull him closer. his breath was...well it wasn't pleasant, but mine probably wasn't either. His lips tasted of copper and tingled with a semi-sweet aftertaste, they were chapped and I felt his tongue nervously lick them before I pressed further. He made a startled noise and at first he seemed as though he was going to pull away but instead his grip tightened. One hand clinging to my waist and drawing me forward into his hips - the other found its way to the back of my head, pressing me closer so he could deepen the kiss.

I wasn't sure when the last time I kissed someone was...probably back when I was in heat...maybe? I don't know... wait...shit..why am I worrying about this right now? Ah...

My thoughts melted away as we sat entangled within each others arms on the floor. I finally broke away to draw a deep breath only to realise that the world was on a merry-go-round and I was flat bang in the middle of it.

His face shifted and I could feel his lips dancing over my neck. I shivered because- because it felt good but also because..I mean.. wait.. no wait... "G-Gah!" I shoved him away and semi crawled-semi ran to the bedroom. Instead of hiding in my area I grabbed a blanket, crawled into his closet and shut the door.

My heart beat hard against my chest and I felt like I needed to throw up again. What was that.. what was that... what was that

Why did I kiss Nevin?

And why did I want to do it again?

I wasn't ovulating so this shouldn't be a thing right? RIGHT? Why else would someone want to kiss and be close to someone and? I'm very confused..

Nevin
12-02-2017, 05:21 AM
The tiny sounds she made were musical to his ears, and Nevin found himself desperately craving more. That is, until she suddenly pulled back and ran away, and he heard a door in the bedroom slam. For a moment he was very very confused - firstly, in the fact that while he had most definitely been visiting the 'inn' Philomel suggested, nothing had ever quite been like that. It was probably his own fault, but those sessions ended up usually being more educational in nature, or strictly for a short, businesslike interaction. None of the soft lips and sharp teeth, nails digging into the back of his head and his shoulder -

Nevin shook his head, trying to clear away the fuzziness. This was - this was - it was hard to think straight. He took a step in the direction she had run - the bedroom, that meant she wanted to continue right? Then the alchemist grabbed his doorframe and drove his forehead into it, splitting open the skin and sending a trail of blood leaking down his face.

The sharp burst of pain cleared the fog of arousal away, a knife cutting through the haze. Now more clear headed, Nevin could process the fact that Eteri had seemed confused, and almost afraid as she fled, and not in a good way. And that the only door in his bedroom was the door into the small closet where he stored his clothes. He took a deep, shuddering breath - and even his nose could smell the mixed scents in the air. So - he had to get out of the shop for a time, give Eteri space to recover from whatever had frightened her. They could talk about all of that after a chance to cool off had gone by.

So he went into his bedroom - and sure enough the door to the closet was firmly closed, with the end of a blanket sticking out from underneath. He took exhaled, long and slow, and shook his head. "Eteri. I'm going out for a walk. I'll be back inside of an hour." He heard a weak response through the door, and nodded before picking up a change of clothes from the pile that had been shoved out of the closet onto the ground. Once he was changed he left, long legs carrying him out into the brisk morning air.

—————

Three days. Three days since Eteri had recovered, and they had - well, that had been far more than a kiss. The feline female had been doing her best to observe Nevin discretely, always from a corner or from near a doorway, and making a break for it if he talked to her or started to walk towards her. Despite this, he had seen marks on her neck - ad he remembered how her skin had felt as he nibbled on her. Yes, from more than a normal kiss.

But that was just it. Since that had happened, Eteri had been a constant presence, a shadow that hung around him no matter what he did or where he went. She wouldn't talk to him - she would start to, then mewl and run, and if he got close to her she would run even faster. And yet - she always was somewhere where she could watch him, and if he ignored her for too long she began moving things or making very unsubtle noises, loud coughs or sneezes until he looked to her. Then it was right back to avoiding him, keeping her distance. And it was driving him insane.

And to make matters worse, she wouldn't even walk near him when he went out. No, she would follow him from a distance, not even really trying to hide. Once or twice he had been talking to a female store owner, or someone he knew - and if he made that mistake, he was pelted by small rocks until he stopped. But she was always looking away if he turned in her direction, steadfastly ignoring his gaze. The this point, he honestly didn't know what to do about it looks.

Things came to a head on the city streets as he was making his way to the market. Four women surrounded him, backing him up against a wall. He could have easily gotten free, but he had been hearing mutterings behind his back for these past few days - and these rumors had none of the light-hearted fun that Stonevale's had had. No, these ones were downright vile. And he had a feeling that the women around him were at least in part responsible.

"What can I do for you women?" His voice was as calm as he could force it to be. One of the women - wait, hadn't he seen her before, when Eteri had had her sleep walking episode? He had, that fan was fairly recognizable. The woman with the fan stepped forward, up into his personal space.

"Why, we're here to talk about that little strumpet that has been clinging to you like a leech." What.

"You see, the little bitch has been telling everyone that she's been sleeping with you, and well, of course she's lying to drag you down. Her kind always do. So, we're here to make an offer. No, no, I'm here to make an offer." The woman batted her eyelashes to him as she moved in close, just shy of pressing her body against his.

" You take one of us, preferably me, as your companion and well, we will make sure the little harlot is run out of town. Doesn't that sound wonderful? You will fina-gurk" The was unceremoniously cut off by Nevin's hand planting itself in her stomach and shoving her back. He didn't bother it holding back - he had in fact, wrapped his arm in threads to bolster his strength. He swept a furious gaze over the other girls around him.

"One word. One, single, fucking word from any of you, and I will show you why infuriating a man who makes his trade in medicine is one of the dumbest things you could ever do. And you. Insulting Eteri is literally the second dumbest thing you could have done in this situation. Insulting her to my face, that was the dumbest." The woman tried to stand up, but Nevin stepped on her dress, pinning her down. He knelt over her, glaring, and his tone was full of barely suppressed anger.

" I have known Eteri for over a month now. And in that time, she has proven herself to be worth far more than your vapid ass could hope to achieve. And to make matters perfectly clear to you - no, we have not slept together. Eteri doesn't speak this language well, and shit like you were asking doesn't register with her. She has very literally slept in my home - just sleep, and nothing more. Your petty accusations just betray the depths of your depravity - you are so unbelievably pathetic that you cannot comprehend a man wanting to spend time with a woman for anything other than filling her up. Your life must be so empty if that's all you are. I will warn you now, little fool - if I find you have been perpetuating rumors about her I will find you and make you suffer. Now, the lot of you - get out of my sight." He stopped back, and the girls helped their humiliated leader to her feet. The woman looked like she was about to say something, when the only person in the group of girls who hadn't moved yet slapped her hand over the fan holding brats mouth. She bowed her head to Nevin, then dragged the others away.

Nevin stood in the street for a solid fifteen seconds, then threw his hands up with a cry of anger. This was too damn much for today, he was done and going home. He would lock himself in his workshop and not come out again until the world made sense. He turned in his heel and stalked in the direction of his store.

Outside if it, he paused. There was a woman peering inside, dressed in a strangely flowing outfit Nevin would have ignored her - his sign clearly did 'closed' - except that he saw a brown tail lashing, and brown ears twitching on top of her head. It was yet another cat girl. Nevin dive a thread into his palm, using the sting to make sure he kept his temper.

"I am sorry miss, but the store is closed. You'll have to come back another time."

~Fin~

Philomel
12-02-2017, 06:55 AM
Name of Judgement: You know this how ruours start right... (http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?700-You-know-this-is-how-rumours-start-right-I-mean-I-guess-this-ship-HAS-sailed/page2)
Judgement Type: No Judgement

Rewards:

Nevin (http://www.althanas.com/world/member.php?136-Nevin)receives:
1000 EXP
90 GP

Eteri (http://www.althanas.com/world/member.php?26-Eteri)receives:
705 EXP
90 GP

Philomel
12-02-2017, 06:59 AM
All rewards have been added.