Name
    Nicholas

Nicholas

Name: Nicholas
    Race: Human
    Height: 6'1"
    Weight: 180lbs

Personality:
    Fiery. Even before his pact, Nicholas was passionate about all things that he involved himself in and often takes an “act first, ask questions later” approach. Some might label him as a troublemaker but it is never his intent to cause trouble, rather it seems to be a byproduct of his headstrong nature. Overall, his intentions are honorable and well-meaning but as they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

History:
    His story is one that is rarely, if ever, talked about. Nicholas was a nothing; a nobody. He didn’t even have a name until he was well into his second decade of life. He was a mage’s steward who spent his days cleaning bedchambers and dusting shelves, praying for an exciting life not unlike the ones of those who walked the cobbled roads of the place he called home. Home, in fact, was a place that no longer existed. At least, you won’t find it on any map. He came from a place of magic, a secretive place that kept its location well-hidden from outsiders. Those that were born with the gift became mages and wizards, and those who could not – well, they were put to work in menial jobs or outcast to the desert. Nicholas was of the latter; a powerless whelp fit only for slave work.

He spent his years being tossed from house to house, guild to guild, doing whatever was required of him to keep a roof over his head and food in his mouth. Finally, he was assigned to the headmaster of one of the mage guilds as his personal steward. It was here, in the shadows of a place he was forbidden from entering, that a bargain was made in desperation; a pact with a creature who had successfully enticed him with a promise of a power he so greatly coveted in exchange for a little bit of life. At the time, Nicholas didn’t have the intellect to truly comprehend the words or what kind of dangerous being he was dealing with so he accepted with little hesitation.

Salamander. Vulcanus. Ifrit. It was known by many names but in the end, it was a fire elemental. An elemental that Nicholas had willingly taken into his body in order for them to both thrive. Whether it was self-defense or intentional maliciousness, the place he called home was razed to the ground. The ashes of its buildings and people were scattered to the desert winds when the magical barrier that protected its location fell, leaving it to become nothing more than a fading set of ruins beneath the hot sands.

Now, both free from the shackles that bound them, Nicholas and Salamander, not-so-affectionately known as Sal, roam the world in order to find their purpose.

Appearance:
    Nicholas bears the appearance of a regular human being. In times of great duress, his veins will glow like smoldering embers while his eyes appear to burn with fire, giving vision into the elemental that resides within.

Skills:
    Acrobatic – Nicholas is quick for his size. He has spent a great deal of time running and evading sticky situations. He’s well versed in running, jumping, tumbling, and climbing.
    Magic Affinity – His pact with the elemental allows him to sense when magic is at work and when other magical beings are nearby.

Abilities:
    Living Flame – The pact with Sal grants the ability to produce fire at will. This fire can be controlled and manipulated by Nicholas and is not harmful to him but is to others.
    • Strength: Equivalent of a lit match or lighter.
    • Can be created from anywhere on his body.
    • Once it leaves his touch, it acts as any ordinary fire and can’t sustain itself without fuel.

Combustion - The ability to produce controlled explosions of varying strength by manipulating the oxygen in the air around a given point. Ignition of the altered oxygen results in a heavy, bomb-like detonation large enough to consume a small house, yielding concussive (explosive) and fiery (heat) damage within the explosion.
    • Damage Type: Heat/Explosive. Strength: High.
    • Requires a source of heat to ignite the condensed oxygen.
    • Can’t be used in unfavorable weather. (Rain, snow.)

Hot Blooded (non-combat) – Another boon of the pact is an increased resistance to heat/cold. Whether it is the scorching heat of the desert or the frigid cold of the tundra, Nicholas doesn’t feel the temperature differences quite like he used to due to his changed body temperature.
    • To others, always feels like he’s feverish. Hot to the touch.
    • Not impervious to elements but is more comfortable in radical temperatures. (Comfortable regardless of weather.)

Longevity (non-combat) - Nicholas ages slowly due to the magical influence of his elemental patron.

Equipment/Weapons:
    Nice clothes
    An extra set of less nice clothes
    A large leather backpack
    Notebook filled with handwritten notes
    Half-melted, broken compass
    Last edited by Nicholas; 01-25-2018 at 09:42 PM.

Hero

GP

Name
    Garron Ivari Cadeyrn
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Welcome to Althanas, Nicolas! I'll be helping you in getting your character approved. I'm going to work on the Power Level numbers as Nicolas sets now at Level 1. Please stand by, and I'll have some questions concerning him. Right off the bat, I see that the Acrobatic skill is actually compound abilities. Hightened speed, endurance and agility. How would you reference each of these in numbers compared to a normal human? 2x speed, 2x agility, 2x endurance? Also could you please explain the extent of the Living Flame, Combustion and Hot Blooded abilities. Damage, area, volume? Resistance explaination concerning the Hot Blooded? With the Salamander deal, could you please explain more on the extent of it? You refer to two different entities, and we need to know how. Can Salemander be used as a transformation type deal, can he be summoned for defensive/offensive support in the field, or is it inherent to your character and no use outside of explanation of your profile?
    Last edited by Garron; 01-25-2018 at 07:38 PM.
    "My life is simple, my food is plain, and my quarters are uncluttered. In all things, I have sought clarity. I face the troubles and problems of life and death willingly. Virtue, integrity and courage are my priorities. I can be approached, but never pushed; befriended but never coerced; killed but never shamed."

GP

Name
    Nicholas
    Hello Garron. I'll see if I can explain some things.

Acrobatics - nothing enhanced. He's pretty much just good at those kind of things within the limitations of a normal human.

Hot Blooded - currently a non-combat ability, I guess. He basically feels comfortable in a desert's heat and probably would get away with just wearing a nice sweater in Salvar. Just a writing device currently to play around with the fact he's got a fire elemental inside of him. At some point in the future, it could probably be developed into an ability that makes him resistant to fire/ice or something but in it's current state, nothing special. He's just warm.

Living Flame - He can create a flame anywhere on his body. I guess it would be the equivalent of lighting a match or a lighter. It's not a strong fire and could be used to light wood or something else easily combustible but the flames are nowhere near hot enough to melt anything.

Combustion - This is pretty much Nicholas' bread and butter ability and definitely his strongest. I'm not 100% on the guidelines here so, considering this is really his only offensive ability, how strong could I get away with? I'd definitely like it to be neat but understand that level 1 characters have limitations and are the newbs of the world.

Salamander - He's nothing at this current level of character. He's basically an internal voice and the plot device that allows Nicholas to fire up. Maybe in the future I could develop some ability centered around him being more dominant but that'd be somewhere in the future, right now he's just sharing a body with his host.

Hero

GP

Name
    Garron Ivari Cadeyrn
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Awesome! I'll go ahead and crunch the numbers now between eating dinner stuffs, then I can coach you concerning the extent of Combustion. xD Please stand by and I thank you for your patience. Could you add all that to your profile please?
    Last edited by Garron; 01-25-2018 at 07:56 PM.
    "My life is simple, my food is plain, and my quarters are uncluttered. In all things, I have sought clarity. I face the troubles and problems of life and death willingly. Virtue, integrity and courage are my priorities. I can be approached, but never pushed; befriended but never coerced; killed but never shamed."

GP

Name
    Nicholas
    Sure, no problem. Done.

Hero

GP

Name
    Garron Ivari Cadeyrn
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    It looks like you have a little wiggle room concerning Combustion and how you wish to use it. Using a controlled creation and explosion, such as something like a Magma Shot deal? Let me know how you wish to go with it and edit your decision into your profile.
    Last edited by Garron; 01-29-2018 at 08:38 AM.

GP

Name
    Nicholas
    Hmm, not so much like a magma shot/fireball but a strong, fiery bomb-like explosion would work for me. Explosion/fire based damage like you said. How would you like it worded? Thanks for all the help, by the way.

Hero

GP

Name
    Garron Ivari Cadeyrn
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Wording is completely up to you, but a basis source would be something like, but not in these words: 'Fairly exhausting ability to launch a projectile that causes heavy explosive and heat damage. (result of character's own unique power).' I'd put area/volume/extent. I wouldn't go as far as planet destruction, but something along the lines of fair C-4 explosions? I'm happy to help however I can and you're welcome.
    Last edited by Garron; 01-25-2018 at 09:42 PM.

GP

Name
    Nicholas
    Okay, I've added an appropriate description to the ability. Any other changes for it?

Hero

GP

Name
    Garron Ivari Cadeyrn
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    All I can see left to do is to edit in the Salamander (that he is what he is at this point and not utilized for offensive/ defensive boosts at this time), Acrobatics (within limitations of a normal human) stuff from post #3 into your profile so those that interact with Nicholas know those important things. Plus I'd put Combustion as an exhaustive ability and it weakens Nicholas to some extent, with so much time needed to recover from its use. And please move Acrobatics and Magic Affinity into the abilities section.
    Last edited by Garron; 01-26-2018 at 09:38 AM.