Thread: Music And Friendship (Mature - Violence)

EXP: 1,875, Level: 1
    Level completed: 94%, EXP required for next Level: 125
    Level completed: 94%,
    EXP required for next Level: 125

GP
    AP
    Name
    Avin Painbringer
    Race
    Undead Kenku

Music And Friendship (Mature - Violence)

Includes gore and violence themes.
    I was not certain who I was.

I was a being who had been raised from the dead, one whose plumage had been bleached like I had lain out in the sun too long. I was someone who had been sent, on the orders of a demon I was unsure of and a half god who I knew by instinct I had been brought back to serve, to recent attempt to destroy an entire city.

My plan had worked. For a while. Many chickens and fowl had I taken the lives of, and horses and cows had been my next prey. Over the course of four weeks I had ripped Beinost's lives asunder - chaotically - only to end up coming face to face with another kenku. One who had whispered my name like she knew me. Like she knew who I was from that other life. As I strode from Beinost I felt weary and confused, but most of all lost. For I did not know who I was anymore.

Of course, I had killed her. Mostly - partly - for the scent of death to rise to my nostrils. Ah, a bird's death is different from a mammals. You can feel the very fibres of each feather filling your nostrils and almost tickling the inside of your throat. Also, she was clearly an enemy, having snuck up on me like that. I knew that the enemy - my master's enemy, and thus mine - had a kenku of their own and so just in case I had ended her. Then, as a voice crying out the word, “stare,” very loudly had come on the wind I had scarpered. That last night had been my own anyway, and I had killed an enemy.

But she had known my name. She knew me from the past I had very little idea of. Or had known me. She was dead now.
    So now I was wondering the lower fields of south Raiaera, drinking in the sorrows of the land. About a mile off I had ceased to run and now I strode with my naginata in hand and my beak uttering a sigh. I had killed a connection to my past life in case she was the enemy, and fled in fear of myself. I had left the clue behind about what I had forgotten and now I stalked the grasslands, lost and confused. Not certain what to do, not sure what direction to go in now.

Scratching my head I sighed and slumped against an old and lonely tree, letting my undead body slide down the bark. My mighty naginata spear I let drop to the side as I tugged on the cuffs of my gloves, making sure they were tight on. Then I let my eyes fall forwards as the light of dull dusk began to spill across the landscape. Before me stretched years of grass, eons of horse lands. A soft wind blew and it was peaceful. Quiet.

But it was not good. It did not fill my soul with satisfaction. I imagined if my heart still beat it would be palpitating ridiculously as I sat there, trying to think about what and who I was, and if I truly wanted to delve deeper into the mystery of the other kenku. Though she was dead, there were still other lines of discovery I could inspect. But did I want to.

I was lost in this dilemma when I suddenly heard a soft harmony of strings.

I sat up, hearing a noise I had only dreamt about. Had old memories of.

Music.

EXP: 3,960, Level: 2
    Level completed: 66%, EXP required for next Level: 1,040
    Level completed: 66%,
    EXP required for next Level: 1,040

GP
    AP
    Name
    McKinley JoAnne Parish
    The voyage across the sea to Raiaera was not kind. McKinley had hoped that the water would be tame but the waves had thrashed and almost capsized the cargo boat she was aboard. The thunder cracked loudly, lightning lit up the sky and the Gods wept of Kinley’s betrayal. She had left her home, her companion- direwolf Nymeria and her sweet love, Joshua.

It had all become too much for the redhead, the sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach. Like a lead ball in her belly it weighed heavily on her dragging her deeper into this darkness. On the last full moon McKinley had stood in its silver glow, bathing her milky complexion and prayed to the Goddess for guidance. The silence was deafening to the prized violinist as she sunk to knees, her pleas-sobs filled the silent night.

The next day she told Nymeria to go find Josh and stay with him for a bit. A short, brief note was placed on her kitchen table for her beloved in case he stopped by. She now stood on the deck of the ship, her red locks billowed in the wind like a pirate flag. The mist licked at her cheeks as she inhaled deeply, the salty air filled her lungs. She had no plan, no place to go but anywhere was better then sitting and waiting for an answer on what was going on with her.

~~~~~~~~~

She was shaken awake by a crew man, “we are at port miss,” McKinley wiped the sleep from her bright crystal blue orbs. “I-I must have fallen asleep last night after the storm passed,” she murmured softly sitting up. “Aye you did, miss.” The crew man bowed his head quickly before walking up the stairs to the deck of the ship.

Reaching down McKinley’s bandaged hands wrapped themselves around her small knapsack and viola case she had brought with her. Quickly she raced up the stairs to the deck where she was greeted by some of the crew man, others hustled to get the trading goods to the marketplace.

“Excuse me,” she spoke softly to what she assumed was the first mate that stood barking orders. “Can you by chance tell me where the most peaceful place is here?”

The man gave her a puzzle look, “I believe that to be the meadows on the outskirts of town lass.”

“Thanks,” she mumbled softly taking off towards the direction he had pointed. Her little legs carried her through the sea of bodies in the marketplace. The bustle of the town made her uneasy by the time she was towards the outskirts of the trading post she was practically running. Her lungs burned as she pushed her little legs to carry her faster.

When she came to the end of the town she was huffing and puffing, she folded over trying to catch her breath. McKinley straightened herself up and looked around, the large meadow stretched as far as the eye could see. She smiled softly at the isolation and walked a bit further.

Finally satisfied with were she was she sat down her things and unlocked her instrument case. A beautiful cherry wood viola sat nestled in it along with a bow and some rosin. She smiled before picking the wooden instrument up. Her shoulder and chin cradled it as she tested the stickiness of her bow across the strings. It gave a loud squeal, she adjusted a cord by tightening it and loosening another.

Quickly her hands were at work flowing fluidly up and down the neck of the viola, low and highs blended together. The melody she played was sorrowful and sombersome, her head bobbing with the flow of the cords, her eyes closed, a serene look on her angelic features as she played with all the emotion she could muster.

EXP: 1,875, Level: 1
    Level completed: 94%, EXP required for next Level: 125
    Level completed: 94%,
    EXP required for next Level: 125

GP
    AP
    Name
    Avin Painbringer
    Race
    Undead Kenku
    Music.

And good it was too. I sat up, straight, my ears straining, though they were just holes beneath the mess of my light grey feathers. My eyes grew large with intrigue as the music continued, scanning the wild fields for the source. At that moment I wanted a working heart - one to beat in time with the song. For the music, it was perfect. It was just the melody I needed to pull me from my uncertain, lost state.

East. It was coming from the east, I deduced.

Swiftly I stood, and I grabbed my naginata. The rest of my weapons - the iron katana, wakizashi and tanto - fell into place at my side. My bare chest, covered in plumage, I bared to the sound as I stared in the direction I would soon head. For a moment longer, however, I stood and faced the music, letting it fill me with utter wonder.

Who was it? What was it? How was it so … soothing?

It was not like the drums of the demon's temple. Nor was it like the sound of steel meeting steel - the music of war. Instead this was real, pure creation, and it made me suddenly feel … something.

I rolled back my shoulders and began to run again, my back claws leading deep scores in the flesh of the earth. My eyes dancing with rare intrigue I rushed towards the distraction that I so needed, desperately thirsty for its goodness.

It got louder as I went. And I could discern that it was strings. In the distance I saw a town - I think I had passed it earlier in the day - with the purple dusk setting behind it. But the music did not come from there, no. It was ... outside it. Closer. Strings. I kept running as the image before me formed and I began to see the source.

The source. A person. Sitting in the grass, wildflowers around her as a fairy garden. In her hands she held an instrument of some kind that I did not know the name of, and she was playing something sad, but enchanting. Beautiful.

I skidded to a halt in front of her, my vivid black eyes staring. My beak was parted, eager as I stopped five feet from her, my naginata to the side, blade definitely away and not threatening.

I blinked as she met eye contact with me. Her hands paused on the neck of the instrument, her pink plush lips fell open slightly. The music stopped, something I definitely did not like.

Shaking my head I gestured with my free hand at what she had been playing. In my throat I made a wordless grunt, indicating that I wanted her to go on. Her gaze never left my own but her fingers started to dance again, the other hand slid the bow across the strings. The melody was slow with short staccato notes.

Pleased at that I gave a nod to her as the music filled my ears again. If I could, I would have smiled the way humanoids with lips do. Instead I could only relate my emotions through the gleam in my eye. As she went on I decided to sit, an awkward peace settling. But I was not the sort who cared much for awkwardness. I just wanted to listen to her song. And so I took to slouching on the ground again, laying my spear down.

Saying nothing, but listening.