Level completed: 94%, EXP required for next Level: 125
    Level completed: 94%,
    EXP required for next Level: 125

GP

Name
    Avin Painbringer
    Race
    Undead Kenku
    Vindrexis calmly nodded, and I saw a glint in his eye. Carefully I watched as he let go of McKinley's fingers, his touch lingering on them gently as if he was stroking them. My eyes blinked and I was curious by the gentleness of his actions, for he was never usually that kind. Not even to Sabazios I thought.

But I said nothing, hoping this was actually a good sign. Slowly my master stepped back and spread out an arm to gesture to the doorway.

“Come and meet my associate, Sabazios,” he said in a tender voice that I knew as one which had a multitude of meanings. My brow furrowed with confusion but I looked at McKinley, wondering what she was going to do. Certainly this was unusual behaviour, but it was good, I thought. Normal, really. More normal than his intrigue of killing me. I mean, it was his right as my creator and master to do with me what he would, but incapacitation was so bloody painful.

And the emotions … gah. I rolled back my shoulders and waited for my new friend to respond.

I could tell she was a bit nervous but obeyed my Masters request with a small nod. Every now and again as we walked the long path to the end of the temple, I would watch her glance at her healed hands in wonder. Coming to her side I strode with my hand on my katana, having left the spear in my room.

“They look better,” I murmured, looking at them with intrigue. They were fleshy, very different to my own gnarly white flesh. Ugly bleached flesh that was putrid and disgusting. Why Vindrexis saw me as beautiful I will never understand.

She gave me a full dazzling smile that lit up her face and crinkled the edges around her eyes. “Yes I am in debt to your Master. I can now play you more music Avin.” Her voice brimming with happiness.

Music. I almost smiled with the concept. That would be very good. The idea of her staying for a few days struck me, and I felt mildly satisfied that I had achieved in my task of showing her that my masters were good.

“Sabazios, this is … McKinley. Avin's … acquaintance. She is to join us for dinner.”

Green eyes, like a grassy field, looked from the round face. Slowly the demon, who looked more human than anything, stood up from his stone throne and began to walk, eyes fixed on her. Vindrexis was beaming at him, eyes shining. There was silence as the fat demon moved forwards, until he was two feet away. He blinked, then nodded.

“Well. Then I guess welcome is in order.”

I nodded a little, only thinking that this could go well. It was not common that I myself joined them at dinner, after all, I was just a warrior and needed no sustenance anyway. But as they were extending this courtesy to McKinley I felt that only good feelings could come to pass.

McKinley dipped her head towards the demon in a quick bow. “Lovely to meet you Lord Sabazios.” Her voice was soft but it bounced off the stone walls.

Sabazios paused for a moment, then grunted before twisting away. He started away from them all, heading deeper into the shadows beyond the pillars of the room. Vindrexis shot McKinley a smile that looked odd, before he followed after. I frowned for a moment as I saw the smile, but kept my thoughts to myself. Encouragingly I nodded at McKinley as we followed my two masters. We walked beyond the pillars and towards … a doorway of bright light.

Light that was dim, but with each step grew more and more glorious and larger. It was unnatural how it did it, but I had seen this before. I nodded encouragingly to McKinley as we strode from the temple hall, into a bright other room, crossing a threshold that did not quite exist. One moment we were in the dim temple, the next we were in a huge feasting hall.

A massive table was central. On it was piles of dishes - bread, pies and all sorts. Jugs of drinks and whole roast animals were there, along with fruit bowls that overflowed. All was in brass, silver or other bright metals, with great drapery hanging on the walls. Around the table were cushions, but it was very clear that only a few of these would be taken. There was far too much food for even twenty.

Sabazios seemed to brighten. Which was normal because he liked his food, this was one of the first things I learnt about him. Moving to the head of the table he sat himself down before immediately grabbing a entire roast pig. Vindrexis was more genteel. He looked to McKinley and elegantly gestured to a cushion. “My dear …”

Her bright gaze casted towards me before she nodded slowly and took the cushion Vindrexis gestured to. “Thank you,” she murmured softly.

I did not sit down. Food, after all, was not what I needed and so I had never joined my lords at dinner. Vindrexis had explained it to me one of the very first meals. Though I was something more than the mages and warriors, and could be afforded trust, I was still not their equal. That, coupled with the fact that I did not need to eat meant that there was no possibility and no need for me to sit at the table. Instead I moved to the wall behind Sabazios where I usually loitered and stood there, eyes on McKinley.

Vindrexis paused before explaining it to her. “Avin does not eat. He prefers to stand. There. Do you not?”

I blinked. “Yes, my lord.”

Adventurer

EXP: 5,090, Level: 3
    Level completed: 3%, EXP required for next Level: 3,910
    Level completed: 3%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,910

GP

Name
    McKinley JoAnne Parish
    McKinley drank in the feast hall, it was all so overwhelming to her. Her gaze followed Avin for a moment before back to the godling. “I see…” She squirmed almost uncomfortably under his intense bronze gaze.

Vindrexis nodded as he leaned to start loading a plate with food. “Help yourself. Then we can begin to talk.”

McKinley tucked one of her red tendrils behind her ear as she tore a hunk of bread from the loaf. She brought it to her nose and inhaled deeply, a slow lazy smile spread across her lips. “The smell of freshly baked bed is memorizing. Nothing truly like it, well according to Avin death is a beautiful scent.”

She tossed a smile over her shoulder at her new found acquaintance. She slowly dropped the bread on her plate before picking through the fruit bowl. Strawberries, segments of oranges and assorted other berries littered her plate.

She bit into a strawberry, a small hum of approval came from her as she chewed. Her gaze landed on the fat demon, she winced at what she saw. He had already tore into, ripped apart and was sucking the meat from the pigs bones.

The sight reminded her of a book she had read of a glutinous King. How he never was kind and only cared for food. To teach him a lesson the God made him choke on the bone of a pig. Lodged deep in this throat not enough to choke him to death but enough to obscure his air way so he couldn’t indulge himself. For the remaining years of his life he lived off of broth.

She blinked a few times before looking over at the godling. She was still puzzled about him though he seemed harmless. She bit into the bread and enjoyed the chewiness.

Out of all the assortments of drinks McKinley chose water. She poured it into her goblet and caught the godling tilting his head at her choice. “I don’t drink wine, I get drunk off of a glass and a half.” She took a long swig of the water, it was cool and refreshing.

“I see,” he was calmly and elegantly carving up meat with a knife and fork. “Why don't you tell me about your abilities then? You have an affinity with shadows, is that correct?”

McKinley looked genuinely confused, “I believe I am human. I didn’t know my parents as I was an orphan. Wh-what do you mean shadow affinities?”

His brows rose. “You don't know - well.” He pushed some meat into his mouth and chewed slowly, thoughtfully. He kept silent until he was done. “Well, we will have to look into that, clearly. What a delightful present you have brought me, Avin.”

McKinley dropped the piece of bread she was eating. Her eyes filled with concern as she looked at Avin then the godling. “I-I am not a present, sir. I am a human..” She pushes her plate away from her as her stomach turned with uneasiness.

“You're a gift to behold, is what I mean of course,” his smooth voice said. “A present in terms of happenstance, excitement. You do not know about your abilities. I do. I can show you how to tap into them. Give you a gift of my own.”

“I don’t know if that would be wise.. shadow magic is dangerous stuff to dabble in. How can you tell that I have it?” This was all so confusing and even scary for McKinley. Her entire life she had thought herself to be normal.

“I am half god, how else?” Vindrexis’ eyes gleamed. “Now are you going to be rude and deny this one chance you have of discovering who you truly are? That would be very disappointing of you. What would your family, close friends, lovers think?”

“I-I.” Her mouth hung open slightly as she looked at Avin almost a plea for repreaf. Avin shrugged a little, looking unsure. Her heart sunk a little as he offered no guidance.

“I’m scared,” she admitted softly. A single tear slide down her cheek as she blinked rapidly.

“Oh there is no need to be frightened, my dear,” Vindrexis said, his voice haunting. “Why that would be as if I was scaring you. All I am doing is offering to help you discover your potential. Does that make me a bad person?”

McKinley wiped the back of her hand across her cheek and shook her head. “No, not at all..” She glanced at Avin and then the demon before nodding slowly. “I will accept your offer than.”

EXP: 1,875, Level: 1

GP

Name
    Avin Painbringer
    Race
    Undead Kenku
    I felt relief flood into my system. So she was accepting. That was so very good. That meant she could stay for some time as Vindrexis helped her understand more of what she could be. What she was. Her chosen phrase, 'I’m scared,’ puzzled me a little as I could not remember Vindrexis being terrifying. Rather, he just did what he always did best - he had talked. Certainly many things he had told me had made sense. He was extremely clever and I knew this, and therefore was happy that McKinley had taken up the offer.

Vindrexis let out a satisfied smile. “That is quite wonderful news. How glorious!” He set down his cutlery. “How are you feeling now?”

“I am nervous, not of you or anyone here. Of the uncertainty of what may happen.” Her gaze was a bit intense as she squirmed in her chair. “Can you promise me something Lord Vindrexis? Can you promise me that you won’t allow me to hurt anyone or thing?”

I was not surprised by the request. It seemed perfectly the sort of thing I would expect from who had just met my two lords. Vindrexis took a moment and then inclined his head. “I will not allow you to deliberately hurt anyone.” It was a promise.

McKinley took a deep breath and sighed, “thank you.”

The half-god inclined his head to her as he took up his cutlery again. “Well that is settled.” Then he rolled back his shoulders as he went back to eating. But the smile remained on his face. I watched him slowly eat, but his eyes remained on McKinley. I tilted my head, a little curious of what his plans were, but I was no-one to argue you them. As I had learnt she and I were under them, for that was the place of subjects under deities. That was the way the world should work, that Vindrexis had even taught to Sabazios. I lived under this wisdom and soon McKinley would be aware of it too.

When he had finished Vindrexis stood. He looked at me, over Sabazios still eating away and nodded at McKinley. “Avin. You will show your friend here, a room in which she can stay. After that, I wish to see you near the town centre of the village.”

I bowed at the order. Vindrexis smiled pleasantly before he looked at McKinley. “How does that sound?” He asked, then he answered it. “Lovely. Yes indeed, it does.”

McKinley’s mouth hung slightly open as my Master gave her no room to object. Quickly her mouth snapped shut as she nodded. I waited a moment, then walked over to her, hurrying as my lord Vindrexis stared at me pointedly. I offered my hand, indicating that she should take it.

Her small hand slipped into mine as she offered me a strained smile, I could still see the worry etched on her face. Calmly I nodded before I led her from that place, stepping out of the temple and into the village.

Adventurer

GP

Name
    McKinley JoAnne Parish
    McKinley’s heart galloped at steadfast pace, almost bouncing against her breast bone. Tightly she held Avin’s gloved hand, she tried talking a few calming breaths but the anxiousness slowly crept in. The feeling of uneasiness wrapped itself tightly around her, had Avin not pulled her along she surely wouldn’t have moved from that spot.

Avin soundlessly moved, each movement he made was confident and had meaning. She tried to mirror him, but the fear she had of the unknown just made her look like a frightened puppy. She couldn’t wrap her head around it but there was something about the Godling that made the small hairs on her entire body stand.

McKinley looked around and her eyes snapped to the door as Avin pushed a door opened and ushered her in. Once in the room she could see a few things. They didn’t believe in decorating or color, the walls were a soft brown and no pictures hungs. Another was that the room was rather small, not small as in the furniture was the wrong size but small as in there was not a lot of room.

Avin closed the door, his finger pointed towards the other door way merely six feet away. McKinley tilted her head slight, she walked the five steps it took to be in the other door way. A small, very tiny bathroom was there. A sink, toilet and stand up shower made up the room. Slowly she turned and Avin was gone, she was left alone.

“Wait my things…” She sighed softly.

Her knapsack and viola still sat in his room on his floor.

“Damn it,’ she glared at the close door.

Slowly she started to explore her room. After the bathroom there was a small curtain to the left of her. She pushed it back to reveal a small closet that was also a kitchenette. A sink, a stove that looked like it belonged in the stone age was also there along with a counter that was merely three feet long.

She turned and sat on the small bed, it creaked under her weight. A little concerned that it may fall apart, she didn’t want to make any sudden movements. McKinley stifled a yawn as she rubbed her eyes. The days adventure was starting to wear her body down. A sigh parted her lips as she slowly laid down. Her body relaxed for the first time since she had met Avin. Slowly her eyes drifted close, it was all too easy to give into sleep.

~~~~~

McKinley wasn’t sure how long she had fallen asleep as she jerked awake. She was a bit dazed and confused, where was she? It took her a moment to remember that she was in a village with her new found acquaintance. Rubbing the sleep from her eyes she stood up slowly. I wonder what Avin is doing.. She thought, stretching her limbs.

She reached for the door and tried to pull it open. It was locked, it didn’t budge. “Hey… hey..” She knocked on the door, her heart beat, pounding in her ears. She jiggled the door handle a little more vigorously. Her fist started to pound against the wooden door.

Bang, bang, bang, bang!

“Let me out!” Her plea echoed loudly off the walls of the small room.
    Last edited by loves.blessing.; 06-28-2018 at 12:55 PM.

EXP: 1,875, Level: 1

GP

Name
    Avin Painbringer
    Race
    Undead Kenku
    I heard the banging as my guts were wrenched from my body.

There I lay, body caught between four horses. The only four horses that I had ever seen actually in this place. My wrists and ankles tied to a separate beast and each of them pulled in a different direction until I was no longer able to fight. They had ambushed me as soon as I had stepped into the town centre, and had overwhelmed me as usual, this time six of them. My rot via touch had scarred one of their faces and caused immense pain to me but it had given me a moment's rest-bite before it had come to this. Now my intestines were being pulled foot by unravelling foot out of my abdomen as the horses were very slowly being urged to go forwards. My eyes turned over and stared at the house where McKinley was, blinking as I was slowly pulled apart. I felt sorrow for her, as she was trapped here, for now, but it was best that she was locked away.

At least while this was going on. Whilst my lord Vindrexis committed to his nearest and dearest hobby and ripped me into quarters. Suddenly he hit the flanks of a horse and it reared before trying to flee. I felt a great amount of pain as suddenly my bones were popped from their place and the dust that was my blood began to pour from me. Muscles ripped, flesh tore and I let out a scream as I was literally divided into four, fairly unequal parts.

After it was done I lay there, my head joined to one shoulder and arm. Below the collar bone exposed undead flesh was presented as well as cracked marrow. I was just a husk of pieces and I could only lie in stillness, unable to yell or move as I suffered it. I watched as Vindrexis strode away from me, taking the moment to kick my other arm that was slowly crawling towards me of its own accord. He had a disappointed look on his lips and had his hands shoved in his pockets. Striding away from me he went onwards to McKinley's house, pausing before he stood at the door. I saw him place his hand on the wood and push it open …

---

“Hello,” he sneered as he took a step into the small apartment. The door opener easily at his touch, as if it had never been locked. He was wicked and he looked vile and he stared at McKinley like she was nothing more than meat. In his hand he held a single grey feather that he twirled as he looked at her.

Slowly he closed the door behind him, shutting her from my view entirely.

I had brought her to this place, and I hoped she would not suffer for it. I truly hoped that she would see the goodness in my master. The lord I so appreciated for showing me the truth of how the world was. How it is. How it should be.

Adventurer

GP

Name
    McKinley JoAnne Parish
    The door swung open, Vindrexis a smirk on his lips. McKinley stumbled back, falling onto the bed. “Hello,” his voice was rich and smooth. She licked her lips nervously, slowly she watched him close the door behind him. She pushed herself backwards into the corner where the wall met the bed.

“Wh-where is Avin,” her words slurred out.

Her bright crystal gaze stared at the door, wishing-willing for the bird-man to come busting in. The Godling moved closer to her, slowly he closed the distance. Visibly she shook like a leaf in a windstorm. He reached out to her, she flinched away from his touch.

“Avin, Avin is tied up at the moment,” his toned dripped with amusement.

McKinley didn’t understand if that held a secret meaning or if he was just being coy with her. At this very moment she regretted agreeing to come here. Tightly she wrapped her arms around her legs pulling them to her chest.

“You don’t lock a guest in the room you give them unless you are intending to keep me here.” Her voice was barely above a whisper.

Vindrexis stroked his chin. She wasn’t sure if he was truly thinking or doing the motion just for the effect. “I can’t have you wondering the village, dear McKinley. And there were things going on such innocent eyes like yours should not want to see. Please get up from that position.” He offered his hand once more. His slender eyebrow arched, as if he was almost daring her to deny his help a second time.

With such ease he pulled her flush against his chest. A small gasp left her pink flush lips, his hand brushed back a few of her red tendrils from her face. “See I do not mean to harm you, dear girl.” His bronze gaze bore into her. He was doing it again, not necessarily looking at her but into her soul or something.

McKinley stepped around him, to put space between the two of them. His touch made her feel almost violated. She was close to the doorway for the bathroom, she took a deep breath and turned to face him. That smug smirk still plastered on his lips, intense bronze gaze.

“Why did you bring Avin back to life? Why not let him be at peace?” The question that had been on her mind since the bird-man explained what happened to him. It leapt from her lips without a moment for her to stop herself.

Vindrexis gave her a curious smile and straightened. “I needed a warrior. Avin's race makes very fine ones. He is entirely accepting of his situation and even after we made him, Sabazios and I, he was happy enough with it that he swore fealty to us both. We brought him back out of necessity, out of a need for a soldier to go to war.” He paused. “You do know that there we have an enemy, do you not? A fearsome, chaotic and evil man who is mostly god that, for the past thirty years, has been ruining the lives of mortals?”

McKinley nodded her head slowly, “Avin told me about your arch rival and that you sent him to kill his slave… Why can you not do this on your own. You are a godling after all.” She chewed nervously on the inside of her cheek.

“Half god, but yes Sabazios’ followers here like that time for me. It is rather sweet, is it not?” He grinned slowly. “But that is also my point. I am divine. I am a leader of people. Like a general. Do generals go to the front lines? No, they stay behind. If they are lost then the war is ultimately lost. Do you want this war against such a tyrant to be lost already?” His eyes were intense.

McKinley shrugged at first, her hands intertwining in front of her. “I know nothing of war, or many things for that fact. I am just curious is all, you a godling and the fat Greek a demon. I assumed you could easily subdue your enemies.” She briefly looked at him before down at her fingers laced together.

Vindrexis paused. “I do not know this term 'greek’ but … so you are naïve. That means you have no idea for what you speak of, therefore many of your questions are invalid,” he tilted his head. “Poor innocent girl. You need an education. Perhaps I should be your teacher.”

McKinley flinched at his harsh words as if he had physically slapped her. “Greek is the heritage of the place Greece that you could travel to where I am from.. as for an education- I was an orphan and slave at one point so no I do not have much of one. I am smart enough to know when you speak in riddles you are only speaking half truths.” She almost glared as he had insulted her intelligence. McKinley felt anywhere else her questions would be considered well asked. Here though, she felt daft anytime she opened her mouth.

“... Are you now?” he smirked. Then he took a step back. “I think you need some time alone to think about things. About your place in the universe. About what relationship gods have with mortals. About the right of gods have over their creations’ lives.”

And then he started back to the door. “Oh and by the way,” he said with a last thought as he placed his hand on the door. “The lover you mentioned to Avin … you should know he does not love you, but his goddess instead.”

Then he grabbed the handle and strode out.

She watched as her heart shattered, it falling to the floor scattering to different corners of the Earth like the shadow fleeing from the light.

McKinley chased after the godling but the door closed swiftly behind him. Her newly healed fist pounded against the door. Sobs raked over her small frame.

“Let me out! I want to leave! You can’t keep me here..” She gulped for air with each plea. Her chest felt as if it was on fire. There was no way her beloved, Josh didn’t love her. He had said it himself, he did.

Her heart ached that much more as she realized she was trying to convince herself. It made sense how could a powerful fighter love a mere human. “Vindrexis, let me out!” She sobbed, her body slid down the length of the door and on to the floor.

Avin had betrayed her, he had led her here and told them her secrets. She curled into a small ball, wishing for it all to go away. She couldn’t help but feel like a kidnapped slave once more.