Level completed: 65%, EXP required for next Level: 3,861
    Level completed: 65%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,861

GP

Name
    Nevin Aimaparapoiitis
    Race
    Human (Godling)

Don't Hug the Kenku (Hug the Kenku) (Closed)

Nevin smiled pleasantly at the person who had just left the shop, then slumped down, his shoulders sagging. Ever since he had gone to the church - and since he and Philomel had dealt with Berak - he had been seeing a huge upsurge in business. There was a healthy mixture of regular church members, easily identified by the bright, smiling faces and the way they seemed to never buy anything - but were instead content to just be in the shop while he was there. Then there were the ‘Gallery’ members - still smiling, but with darker edges to it. They preferred to buy things from him, usually potions that had blood in them in some way.

Then there were the regular patrons, or the more well to do ones. People who were just trying to go about their business as they always had. Nevin had finally had to give in and push his hours more into the day time and less into the depths of night, as more and more people were demanding his services in the day time. It had caused some friction for him with his older clientele base until he had finally set aside three nights where he would stick with the older schedule.

And finally - he had had a steady stream of ladies of the night. Apparently, with the murderous alchemist dead, they felt safe visiting alchemists again, and many of them needed to be resupplied on the roots and herbs that they used to mitigate certain inevitable risks of their profession. Several of them had apparently remembered him as the man who came to the funeral for one of their own, and word had spread. He was mildly disconcerted with the fact that many of them would flirt with him - despite his rather verbal protests that he was a taken man. Eteri had even lashed out at one of them once, almost scarring the poor woman's face. The poor girl claims she does not remember attacking the courtesan, which was cause for concern.

After that, they had at the very least backed down when Eteri was present. Which had led to Nevin doing his best to always keep Eteri in the shop. He couldn’t tell if Eteri was helping him, tiring him out more, or a mix of the both. Her incessant need for her more devious needs and her inability to mix a potion, and his desire to keep from being the target of affection was a confusing mix that was - reassuring. It was normal.

He could almost forget the other concerns in his life, forget about what he was becoming, forget about the slender volume on the back of his store, forget about having to kill Berak for venturing into forbidden Alchemy. He could almost forget about his lover’s time limit, forget about the oncoming storm that he had promised to help Vitruvion and Stare with. The redhead could just lose himself in the mundane, pleasant work of his profession.

An older woman came in, and Nevin was dragged out of his thoughts as she started peering around the shop, trying to find something. He straightened his back, and placed a pleasant smile on his face. He was tired - but still work had to be done. Eteri was in the back at the moment - so he couldn't ask her to help the woman find what she was looking for. He cleared his throat, and the woman blinked and turned in his direction, peering at him from behind oversized glasses.

“What can I help you with, madam?”
    - "We are born of the blood, made men by the blood, undone by the blood; Fear the old blood."

Nevin: Formal, thoughtful, nurturing, bearer of tropey tentacles.

"More threads! More! Threads for the Crimson Thread King!"
    A member of the NevCrew:
    Nevin: Thread count: please, don't try.
    Erik: Thread count: five or six. Maybe seven...
    Huntsman: seven. Maybe eight. Shhhhhhh.
    Telli' thread count: zero. I just can't get into writing the little hellion.
    Ronnel: Not even approved yet.

EXP: 15,383, Level: 5
    Level completed: 24%, EXP required for next Level: 4,617
    Level completed: 24%,
    EXP required for next Level: 4,617

GP

Name
    Eteri Yoko
    Race
    Half Human Half Nekojin
    I looked myself up and down in the mirror. The streak of red in my messy azure bob still stood out, bright. Nevin had dyed it again. This time using what he insisted was hair dye and not clothes dye. I still didn’t see the difference between the two. I reached up and tugged on it. The hair wasn’t as dry nor as brittle. Nevin had lovingly put a conditioning treatment in it. He even offered to dye more of my hair, but...I liked the single red streak that framed my face. It was a silly notion...but it felt like a part of him was always with me.

Then again that may be because I literally carried around a locket with a piece of his soul in it. I clasped a clawed hand around it. Still staring at myself in the mirror. Souls...the dark soul that was only the smallest of fragments within me had grown. Branched out. When I looked at myself it looked like a burnt tree with branches that spread out to my arms and head. It was...dark, and a little cold - but beautiful in a way.

The woman who stared back at me wore an Akashiman shrine outfit made of red and white, albeit a little shorter and low-cut than the traditional garb, altered for ‘fashion’ I wasn’t exactly the ideal picture of someone who was a god's right hand…

It was still funny to think about. Nevin...a god...but, he would be - no. Was my god. I grinned and my reflection grinned back.

It was late afternoon and he was working hard in his shop. There had been an increased influx of customers lately. Most of them were from the church, wanting to see Nevin in action and to buy his wares. Others were just catching onto what was ‘trendy’ and ‘trendy’ was well - Nevin. My Nevin.

A low growl rumbled up from my gut as a wave of possessive envy flooded through me. I took a deep breath and calmed myself down. They did not mean anything, they did not want them for themselves, and it’d be horribly selfish of me to not let Nevin help those in need.

That’s what gods did right? It’s what we did with the little boy. We helped him and now he was in a better place. And not the ‘bad’ type of better place. The ‘good’ type.

Giving myself a final once over in the mirror, and readjusting the bells that jingled from my tail. Tying an extra knot in them I felt ready. Ready to tackle the customers, maybe literally, and help Nevin today.

I burst through the small wooden door that lead from the front of the shop into the attached house. It bounced off its hinges. Nevin turned to me with wide crimson eyes, holding a vial of bright blue liquid out to a very frightened looking older lady.

“E-Eteri?”

I grinned and practically jumped toward him. In two swift leaps I landed on his back.

‘Oomph.’ He struggled to right himself as he completed the transaction, the old lady quickly shuffled out the store.

“What her problem?” I muttered.

“You ah....burst into the store and jumped toward her - I am sure she was worried you were about to attack. Eteri, ah..must you do that?”

I grinned, I had been nibbling on the back of his neck. I nodded. “Yes. Must. Nevin taste good. Nevin look tired. Will help.” I nuzzled into him. The store, for the smallest of moments was empty.

“Ate many irons today.” I purred into his ear. His body stilled as his breathing picked up slightly. I heard a very slight growl slip from his lips. The thought excited him.

Such a thing always seemed to revitalise him, among other things. I knew it’d be a distraction but he was just serving customers today right? Would it really matter so much if he took my blood here?

I blinked, my face turned red as a lewd thought crossed my mind. I whispered my intentions into his ear; how I could oh so easily hide under the counter and ensure he had a very, very good day.

“I-I don’t think that’s a good idea. Later, Love.” His face was very red, and my wandering hands could see how much he liked that idea.

“Fine. Fine.” I lifted my hands up and away from him and slipped from his back and onto the counter. “Then just take Eteri blood?” I yawned and stretched out on the counter. “As much as need.”

He looked thoughtful, and like he was about to accept my offer - when the door chimed, and he turned around to greet the customer coming in. I sighed, he was going to work himself sick if he kept this up.

“Nevin butt.” I muttered.
    I am cat gurl, gib me ur soul

Legend

EXP: 59,606, Level: 10
    Level completed: 51%, EXP required for next Level: 5,394
    Level completed: 51%,
    EXP required for next Level: 5,394

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    “Seriously, crow, you did not need to come,” he scowled as he tried to sit up. Lines of pain crossed over his face, harsh and horrible and unforgiving. Instinctively Stare reached out and curled an arm under his shoulders to support him, her eyes narrowed.
    “Elf,” she looked at the injured elf seriously. “You look awful. Seriously awful.” He made an agonising face and she firmly then brought up a hand to press him back down to the bed. It took a moment of struggling between the two wills for him to grunt and then slump back down onto the cushions and blankets.

They were in Bottleberry Avenue, within the house that Vitruvion had bought there. Raevin lay on a futon that had been set up on the lower floor, resting his legs … leg.

Stare had been horrified when she had seen it. The whole section below the left knee for the elf had been severed and the end burnt to black. Healers had been called upon but n the best they had been able to do was remove any more dead flesh, which had continued up his body to under his armpit. Now he looked like a mummified corpse, but one who had only been half wrapped, with his arms bare and his good leg still working. What was possibly the worst part, however, was that the damaging blow had also managed to hit part of his sensitive area. None had mentioned it yet, but it was likely Raevin would never be a father.

Stare pushed him back onto the cushions, and forced him to relax. He had started when she had come into the room, but she herself was not having that.

“I was in the city anyway,” she explained, “I planned to come here to stay the night anyway. But then I heard that you had been struck.” She paused. “Surely you're an elf. You have some form of magic to help heal …”

The man shook his head, screwing up the covers with a tightening fist. “It's dark magic, crow. Mixed with demon. Not even your master could.”

“Employer,” Stare reprimanded him.

A pale eyebrow rose, reading to touch the brown hair before Raevin grimaced again. He screwed up his face as he leant to the side and coughed loudly. Immediately Stare's arms were out, one draped over his shoulders.

“Elf …” she sighed. “You need to come back to Beinost. There you can-”

“I am not bringing whatever magic attacked me back into our city,” Raevin said decidedly, leaning forwards limply. Despite his condition he still seemed strong enough to let his thoughts known. “Sir Elssmith has enough troubles on his own.”

“How - what happened?” Stare asked him quietly, running a hand on his back lightly as he coughed more, careful not to scar him with her claws.

The elf looked at her a moment with his pale green eyes before sighing. “The attack came when we least expected it. In the middle of the day. There were maybe ten of them, with at least two mages. Brer took one down,” he spoke of their half-giant colleague. “And the other … he was more powerful. He slaughtered one of us, then I went for him. I managed to kill him but lost my leg.”

Starr found herself nodding. She had suffered similarly at the hands of the same sort of mage. A demon one, bound to the lord Sabazios, the same demon lord who had been manipulated by Vitruvion's half brother. A man who seemed intent on bringing down Vitruvion's downfall and who had ordered the attack on the brewery that Raevin had been involved with, and the attack on the merchant ships that Stare had just come from.

“You … are here why?”

The kenku breathed in. “Ships. We have lost two, plus a whole bulk load of cargo in one. The other, the Zephyr, is now anchored in a small town up north. Where the faun keeps hers.”

Raevin blinked heavily. “I see,” he grunted.

She paused for a moment. “Elf, the maid said that you have not yet shown any signs of good recovery. She said you have tried every healer available.”

The guard captain groaned. “Crow, if you are going to try to suggest another person who will just come in here and prod me-”

“No,” she shook her head, her eyes bright and gently helped him to lie back down. “No, I'm more thinking … what about Nevin? He is here, he is an alchemist. And - he has magic that even Vitruvion has trouble understanding. He should be able to help.”

Raevin looked at her a while, then blinked and grunted. “So long as he doesn't poke at the bloody things.”

The kenku smiled and patted his shoulder. “I will specifically ask him not to.” Then she paused. “Oh and also. Bloody - I know I am immortal now.”

There was a brief look of guilt that came over Raevin's face. Then he smiled awkwardly. Clearly he had known as well. Another person who had known, and not been willing to let her know, even though she believed it her right. “Well …”

She folded her arms grumpily as she sat back in the chair. “Yeah. The bastard didn't even tell me.”

“He didn't want to lose you,” the elf said quietly.

“Hmm,” she rolled her eyes. “But he did not have to wait until I actually died for me to fully find out.”

I accept your thankful gratification for the gift, a voice in her head said. Stare paused, then groaned and ground her eyes at the permanent cuff on her wrist.

“For one moment there,” she told Raevin, “I actually forgot about him.”

---

She strode in, dressed in her finest tunic, her daggers and helmet attached to her belt. Her dark eyes darted around the room, different from his one in Stonevale but still with a degree of familiarity. Her nostrils flared a little, and then she rolled her shoulders back before she looked at the counter and the couple of people before it.

One was old and another young. They were speaking in low voices, eager apparently to conduct their business with the proprietor in relevant privacy. Respectfully she stood behind them and waited for her turn.
    Crows: Old nursery rhyme "One for sorrow, Two for mirth, Three for a funeral, Four for birth, Five for heaven, Six for hell, Seven for the devil, his own self."

EXP: 61,139, Level: 10

GP

Name
    Nevin Aimaparapoiitis
    Race
    Human (Godling)
    “Alright alright, yes. I understand.” Nevin waved his hands placatingly at the couple in front of him. “She has a steady, high fever that has resisted all the standard medications, and you're both concerned someone has targeted her. Right - alright please calm down.” He sharpened his gaze at one of them, the young man, and swatted away the tail that had drifted in front of his face.

“Eteri. Please. Now. You two. I'll give you a selection of some general antioxidants to use - Eteri. Tail, back.” He turned his head to shoot a soft glare at the woman on the counter behind him.

She grumbled and sat up so she was no longer laying across the counter. She curled her legs up underneath her and shot him a small pout. “Thank you, dear. Now, gentlemen. Each night, give her a different of these serums. If one of them works, then we will know she actually has been poisoned. Until then - I would advise you wait and be patient.” With that, he stepped past the two men - and froze, his eyes widening.

“Stare!” A wide grin broke out on his face and he had to visibly stop himself from striding over to her. “I'll be with you in a moment, Stare.” She gave a single nod but nothing more. He moved noticeably quicker to the shelf he had been moving toward, and unlocked it swiftly. He pulled out a small selection of bottles and moved to the counter - swatting Eteri’s thigh when she tried to shift into his way.

“Behave, Eteri.” He started to ring up the transaction for the men, who were now swiveling their heads between the three people in the store, gawping at the catgirl, then at the kenku, then at the alchemist - until he handed them their bill.

“B-but… that is-” Her golden eyes were focused on the kenku behind him, pointing at Stare. Nevin hushed her and her ears fell flat against her head as she lowered her hand and shoved it into her lap, grumbling in Akashiman. Stare looked back with stoicism, hands cupped before her. The older man paid, with a loud grumble - and the two customers departed.

“Now - what were you trying to say, Eteri? And hello, Stare.” Nevin smiled warmly at the kenku after raising his eyebrow at his girlfriend.

Stare took a slow steps forwards, looking briefly between Eteri and Nevin. Breathing slowly she said nothing before she came right up to the counter.

“Hello,” she spoke in a calm, measured tone. “I see you have the cat on your desk.” She kept passive. Nevin blinked, slowly, and tilted his head to the side, trying to process this.

“Nevin! Nevin!” Eteri pointed to the bird. “This Stare. We helped man once. Had ah… leech uhm … symbol on his soul.” She sat up on her knees and fell backward into his chest, he had to fumble to catch her, to avoid her falling off the counter.

“Symbiote, Eteri,” Stare reminded her, and then frowned. <“It is good to see you,”> She said in Akashiman, the switched back to common. “… but honestly, you should behave more professionally in a store like this. You can always do that sort of thing in your own time. In the comfort of your own home.” Then she folded her arms. “Anyway, Nevin, when you have the time I need to talk to you about a serious matter.”

The alchemist blinked. <”Wait, you two know each other - soul leech symbiote OK what? I feel like I've missed some things here. Uh - right. Hold on. Stare, is this a business thing, or personal?”> Nevin blinked and tilted his head to the side, looking between the women for a moment before turning his gaze exclusively to the bird woman. As he spoke he righted Eteri and kept his hand against her back.

Stare looked between them a while, blinking a little before going on. “Yes, I told you when you were last in Beinost, Nevin, I knew a person of the catfolk called Eteri. It got mentioned when … well, Ventrua ...” she tailed off, a little awkward, then straightened to switch subject and language. <“When did you learn to speak Akashiman? It's not that easy to learn. Harder than kenku but … well.”> She looked over to Eteri. <“Will you please get off the counter? You're not actually a cat.”> Eteri refused and sat right where she was. Stare narrowed her eyes.

“I… Cheated. I think. I still have trouble actually speaking the language, I'm better at understanding it. Right - down you go.” To cut off the glare between the bird and cat woman, Nevin lifted Eteri off of the counter, and shifted her over to the seat he had just vacated. “And - yes. I remember mentioning her there but well - I am trying to repress that morning. She was a rather forceful woman. I - should go lock the door.” He chuckled and shook his head, then snagged up the key and headed towards the front door to flip the sign to closed and lock the door.

By the time he had returned it was obvious Stare was far more relaxed. She held her posture, standing with her back straight and careful, claws linked together. As he walked her eyes shifted focus slightly, and it was then he noticed that a short woolen cloak now covered her back. Underneath them there was a new form of lump, a small and compact but oddly shaped form.

“Stare? Is everything alright with you?” The alchemist paused and frowned. He slowly started to pace back and forth, examining what he could see. He frowned. That was - odd placement. It seemed almost familiar - the lumps were actually two - he raised a crimson eyebrow. “Uh. Do - wait this might be a rude question, I've been told off for that before.” He walked back to the counter and went behind it, leaning against it as he stared at Stare, Eteri followed him and pressed her head underneath his arm so she could hold him from his side.

She raised her brow ridge, looking at him with confusion. She gestured. “Go on, please. I've been asked a hell of a lot worse questions in the last while I'm sure.”

“Do you have wings?” His fingers twitched towards his notebook. He smiled at Eteri as she caught on and reached out, grabbing it and placing it in his hands.

Stare looked at the exchange but she looked more taken aback by his question. She looked away, uncomfortably for a moment before glancing back. There was obvious twitching beneath her cloak. “Yeah … it's … complicated. Vitruvion, he -” she cut off, her eyes glancing to Eteri.

Eteri tilted her head to the side. “Is ok...can go if need private talkings.” Her ears perked up, toward Stare. “No mind.”

Stare shifted slightly. “It's fine, the reason I came here is far more important.” She looked back to Nevin. “The attack on the Brewery happened, Nevin. Raevin was hit by … well, demon magic as far as I can tell. I've got a lot more to tell you about myself but this is what I am here for. He lost an entire leg and his flesh is … dying, but there is nothing that the healers can do.” She set her hands on the counter, her stare intense. “I need your help.”

Nevin’s eyes widened, then narrowed. “Right. OK - the corruption on his leg. Is it a localized issue, such as like a plaque on his skin or, is it more like a true infection, and it extends into his body as well?” Damn. He stepped back and spun his pen in his fingers, humming as ideas chased each other in his head. As he thought he leaned against the chair Eteri was sitting in, pen still spinning in his hand.

“What have they tried? Just curing it? Pulling the magic out? Tried simple medicines maybe?”
    - "We are born of the blood, made men by the blood, undone by the blood; Fear the old blood."

A member of the NevCrew:

GP

Name
    Eteri Yoko
    Race
    Half Human Half Nekojin
    Most of their conversation went over my head, I didn’t understand this talk of breweries or legs that didn’t heal with magic. Or anything like that. I didn’t know who or what Raevin was, or why there was demon magic involved in a place that just made and sold alcohol. It made no sense to me.

“No understand…” I mumbled as I tugged gently on Nevin’s sleeve. “Nevin is god right? Nevin can fix with...uh…” I trailed off. I wasn’t sure what his abilities were, nor how much they had grown. But I had seen him grow, and with the prayers of the people in his church...I could tell that he was gaining more confidence. “Can you fix?”

“I can try. Not really on the healing front - more about acceptance. Which I doubt Raevin wants to accept the loss of his leg.” Nevin hummed thoughtfully, still spinning his pen. His eyes weren't focusing on either of us despite apparently responding to my question.

Stare almost choked as she stared at Eteri, eyes massive. “God?! You think - Nevin - well yeah you're the Messiah or whatever of your church and …” she leant back and held up her hands, looking to Nevin. “I mean you can if you want. I'm not jealous.”

I turned to Stare. “He hears prayers. He helps people.” I grinned, tail flicking side to side as I began to grow excited. “Not just messiah!” I held my arms out wide trying to show Stare what I meant, what I had seen in my head. “You see… there place, big place with many sands and dead things and its all red…” I turned and pointed at Nevin’s hair. “Like this! All shades red and - and - he is like - that place will die without him and-” I paused and took a few breaths, I had been talking fast, perhaps too fast for the poor woman to comprehend. I gave her a firm nod. “Nevin. Nevin is most definitely a god. I see the divinity part right here.” I pressed a finger to his chest, pointing at the section of his soul that was coloured slightly different to the rest.

“Yes, I know, I have seen it in his chakras,” the kenku answered back. “But trust me. Prayers don't make someone a god. Power doesn't either. Don't-” she looked at Nevin. “Do not get carried away with this stuff, Nevin. Please. You have a church, that is good, look after your people but … well gods are frigging arrogant and all powerful. Most even omniscient. Call yourself some deity if you want, but be careful. The-” she broke off, dragging in a breath. It seemed she wanted to go on but she turned away, furious.

Nevin blinked, and his eyes refocused and he gave a confused grunt. “Wha - what? Ok what? I - Stare. Stare - I’m currently, at best, a fledgling godling. Fuck, even if I do ‘take over’ the role of my church fully - I’d be nothing like the level of gods like the Thaynes or the Ethereal Sway. I mean - before meeting me, had you ever even heard of the Great Flow of Crimson? I - doubt it. Because whatever the hell I am - not from this world. I doubt my divinity functions the same way they do. Hell, to hear the prayers that Eteri was talking about? The followers have to have a pearl of my blood to form a connection. It’s not like they can just pray all willy-nilly to me and get my answering service.” He spun his pen around and pointed it at Stare. “I’d call what I’m becoming an Outsider at best, not a true God like those you had experience with. Now. My ambiguous state notwithstanding. I believe, I might be able to help Raevin with Alchemy.”

I pouted. Things were turning.... Bad. Stare didn’t seem to like the use of the word god. A part of me wanted to hug it out. Just wrap the giant bird lady up in a giant cuddle and tell her that it was ok. Nevin would do good things. He would not be arrogant and all powerful. He would still be my Nevin. My ears flicked up and I wriggled my nose. It was difficult...being silent for this long as the two spoke. I took a breath and clambered back onto the counter. I could hear Nevins exasperated sigh from behind me as I pushed myself back off the counter (Who has time to walk around it like a normal person?) “Is ok!” I said to Stare with my arms out wide. “Nevin is the modest. Nevin do good. I am Nevin Priestess will reign him in if he do the bad!” I approached her for a hug. She looked odd. Like she was staring off into space. I would fix that.

When I approached Stare suddenly reacted and threw up her hands. She flinched back, away from my arms, making a loud ‘clack’ sound from the inside of her beak. Her eyes narrowed quickly. “Don't you dare, cat!”

I lowered my arms. My shoulders slumped and my ears twisted back against my head. Tail slumping dejectedly between my legs. She didn’t want a hug? Were they really that bad? “B-but you is not look the happy. Eteri not know how help. Only know hug bring happiness.”

“Eteri, honey. Not everyone likes hugs, first off. Some people don’t like contact. Secondly - Stare is really stressed about one of her friends being hurt really badly, and she - has problems with gods. Stop - stop trying to hug the kenku, honey.” Nevin sounded torn, behind me. Like he was trying to be exasperated, but also trying not to laugh, but also not be sad.

I sighed. “Fine.” She was gonna get hugged one day, again. Regardless of if she liked it or not. This whole ordeal felt like it was over my head. That I was just some third character thrown in for comedic relief or something. I wanted to be more useful. I wanted to show him that I would continue to do the best I could - and I wanted to show her… show Stare that I could be useful too. “How help?”

Stare’s jaw seemed to tighten for a moment before she tore her eyes away from me before the bird nodded stiffly. “Raevin is … the injury goes from here,” she gestured to her knobbled leg, “To here,” she placed a hand just under her armpit. They found some dead tissue, some of it even down to bone.” She closed her hands into fists. “And no, I do not like hugs, Eteri, please do not give them to me. I'm not hugely fond of physical contact … just from some people, that I have chosen.” She adjusted herself, and the lumps on her back wriggled around a little. “Can you help him?” she asked Nevin.

She SAYS she doesn’t like hugs - but she just hasn’t had the right hug yet. Still, I nodded. “Eteri understand. Maybe Nevin hugs would be better?”

Legend

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    “Uh. I have hugged her yes - right that’s not the actual important thing here. So - dead tissue to the bone. I - actually can help. Dead tissue is differentiated from living tissue, I can remove it. It will be - weird for him. I don’t know about painful.” Nevin had stopped pointing the pen at Stare - and was in fact, reaching over and placing his hand on the cat’s shoulder, apparently to prevent her from moving towards the Kenku. Stare felt gratitude at that act, breathing in slowly as she tried to sort through the various conversation pieces.

The idea that Nevin was a god was … crazy to her. She knew gods - hells, recently she had even met that Galatirion that Vitruvion seemed best of friends with these days. That was what a god was like. Hearing prayers was impressive though. She knew that once Vitruvion had had such experiences, but that was in a world where he existed alongside his father as a worshipped entity, and was not stuck in human form, disallowed to be worshipped and so on.

Auras. Check them.

Speak of the devil … his clear, aristocratic voice filled her mind.

I'm trying to save Raevin's life here.

I do not deny that I am cautious for his condition also. But we both know you can look and speak. He spoke quicker this time.

State sucked in her breath, as her eyes blinked once and she settled down into the aura sight. Before her were two people, one with comfortable dirt brown aura, suggesting a lean more towards chaotic than his previously more neutral self, the the ugly void that was Eteri. Stare was slightly surprised to not see any of the fragmented souls that she had seen swirling around the catgirl before, but more surprised to see the void where her aura halo should have been having a noticeable mess of black now. The alien soul that still apparently inhabited her soulless body. And there was a tiny glimmer of Nevin’s dirt brown about her neck.

“I believe some of the healers already removed some of the dead tissue, but it keeps coming back. It looks like an infection but is definitely magical in origin.”

Eteri's chakras were also unusual. There was a shimmer of silver that made up the flowing light that was Eteri's power, as well as a thin red thread that was tangled alongside. So she had been born with her powers, there was some genetic element. Stare guessed the silver was her soul associated magic. She breathed in and looked to Nevin. His divine strand was now dominant, strong over his original red, twist. It was not what a full god’s would be - but far more vibrant than what she had seen before. And then he had a third cord, a thin, strangely parchment coloured thread that Stare had seen only once before.

So he's teaching himself magic from books, Vitruvion said, amused. Just like Illiu.

Stare grunted slightly as he spoke of an old friend of Vitruvion's of the University. Now, Raevin ...

“Your power is stronger, Nevin,” Stare said with a small nod as she came back into natural sight. “What do you think you need? Raevin said he is very happy to supply blood of you need to use it for him.”

Nevin hummed and shook his head. He swung his head to Eteri. “Honey, do you remember where the lizard blood is stored? I think that was one of the ones you reorganized.” She gave a small nod and turned to go rummaging through a box that sat behind his counter. His dark red eyes turned back to Stare. “I can use some lizard blood for its mild regenerative property, along with some blood from Raevin. That will give a template to heal towards.” His fingers were flexing and twitching as he was thinking.

“Maybe fit an adjustable prosthetic to him after removing the tainted flesh the magic has set in to, introduce the healing and regenerative serum, then set up an observation period to make sure his body is rejecting neither - and if you or yours can obtain blood from a creature known for regenerating that might be able to speed up the process, lizard blood regeneration is quite weak, even if it is effective.” The man was speaking rapidly, almost under his breath as he thought.

Stare paused a moment, and looked right at him. “What about regeneration within death?” Her heart began to hammer in her chest as she said it, a sudden thought in her mind. “As in … the body regenerates after death has come.”

Eteri returned, tugging Nevin’s sleeve to draw his attention so she could pass him the small vial.

Nevin blinked. His head tilted to the side and he did seem to be pondering it. “It - might be possible. To create a one time usage serum that would grant a single revival heal. In fact - most magics, demonic included, tend to negate themselves on death - they have nothing to anchor themselves to in that case. It might be a way around needing to remove the magic at all - but where in earth would you get blood of a reviving creature? Do you have a Phoenix on tap?”

She breathed in slowly and tightened her jaw, as she had to admit once more to herself again of her annoying immortality. Taking a long deep breath she fixed Nevin with a solid, determined look. “You know where my power comes from, Nevin.” He nodded once, slowly. “If you think that it would work then -” She rolled back her shoulders and pulled out her mythril dagger. She flipped it in the air, caught it so the point was up and then bared her other arm, with the fist tight. “You got a bowl?”
    Crows: Old nursery rhyme "One for sorrow, Two for mirth, Three for a funeral, Four for birth, Five for heaven, Six for hell, Seven for the devil, his own self."

GP

Name
    Nevin Aimaparapoiitis
    Race
    Human (Godling)
    The alchemist blinked. Was she saying - that she had some kind of revival - ah. Of course she was. That made sense - of course he would want to keep her around and hold onto her. He was exactly the kind of - being - that would refuse to let death hold onto her.
    Nevin took a deep breath - then gave Eteri a hug as she came up, holding out the bottle to him.

“Thanks dear. Alright. Stare. I'll give this to you then, to help you recover.” He exhaled slowly, then went and grabbed another bottle - an empty one. He already knew his power could circumvent the connection, if that was what the Kenku was concerned with. He'd done it before, with her ability to discern souls. Bottle in hand, he took the dagger from the bird woman. She kept her eyes on him, dark and stoic.

“This - will probably weaken you. This is going to be worse than when you offered up your soul sight - this is much more powerful, so it's going to take more out of you.” He nodded to the bottle of lizard blood on the counter. “You will need that. And need to rest.” And he drove the blade in, piercing the scaly skin of her arm. Bright blood welled up and began to flow into the air, spiraling and condensing into the bottle. The kenku hissed sharply but did not look away.

“I don't age anymore either,” she said in a low voice, tinged with anger. “I'm going to be stuck like this for eternity.”

Eteri’s ears were low against her head. Standing behind Nevin. She didn’t seem too phased by what he was doing. “Eternity. Nevin live for eternity. We think. Not Eteri.” She shifted her eyes away as she kept a hand tightly on the back of his clothing. The man looked over his shoulder to his beloved.

“We are going to be fixing that.” His voice was hard and firm - as he stopped drawing the blood from the wound, and he closed the bottle. It was glowing brightly even in the faded light of the store. His slender fingers picked up the bottle of regenerative fluid - and pressed it into Stare’s hand. “Stare, drink.”

She took the bottle and held it in her fingers. “In all honesty I would recommend having a get out clause. I would have only had another twenty years myself but, I … Dying is hell, immortality … is already a pile of Ansaldo's shit.” And she opened her beak and threw down the potion. She swallowed it, then as she was grimacing held out the empty vial. “Nevin, that tastes vile.”

“Eteri think Nevin should add sugar to potions to make tasting better.” Eteri mumbled, clearly still in a mood. Her ears flipped up toward Stare. “Eteri have ten years. Not think bad. Worry about Nevin.”

Stare flicked her gaze between the two of them. “Most potions would react negatively to the introduction of sugar, Eteri. Unfortunately medicine can't always taste good. And - you do not have to worry about me. I am, will be, fine.” He - didn't sound to certain about that.

Eteri stepped in closer and pressed her head into his back, muffled she said. “I love you.” His right arm went back to where she was, out of Stare’s sight. Threads slid from his hand and wrapped around Eteri’s waist, giving her a comforting squeeze.

“And I love you. I promise. I'll figure something out.”

There was a muttering sound from where Stare was, and it sounded like a few attemptingly hidden clacks and caws under her breath. Nevin let out a breath and looked back to the bird. “Right. So. The medicine should work but you'll need some time before you're really safe to be walking around. Eteri, off please. Kind of hard to walk.” He chuckled as Eteri lifted her head off his back and stepped to the side.

The kenku at this point was looking deliberately away, a hard look in her eyes. “I'm fine, ill be fine. We should get back to Raevin as soon as we can,” she said quietly. Nevin tilted his head to the side. She - was upset. But why? It wasn't like she wanted to hug him - Vitruvion wouldn't let her have real relationships from what she had said. They had settled as good friends - so why did she seem agitated at him giving Eteri affection? And why was Eteri being so quiet? It wasn't like her at all.

Dark eyes slid back and forth between the two women before he blinked. Ah. Maybe this was less to do with who the affection was with, and just the affection itself? He did remember that in Akashima being affectionate where others could see was frowned upon. He didn't realize that Stare had held onto that. He cleared his throat, loudly.

“Well then. I was going to suggest a simple meal, but you are right. We should go to help him as soon as possible.” Maybe if he got them out of the shop, things would be better?

A member of the NevCrew:

GP

Name
    Eteri Yoko
    Race
    Half Human Half Nekojin
    I was trying really hard...I caught on pretty quickly that Stare wasn't comfortable with me being close to Nevin, to hugging him and kissing him and just...experiencing his warmth. Maybe I was being stupid… maybe I was being needy, but not being able to actively do those things kind of… hurt.

Then they were … they were talking about all these things that went completely over my head. I knew I wasn’t very smart, nor wise - in any sense of the words but I felt completely and utterly out of my depth. Did I really deserve to be his priestess if I couldn’t do such simple things? These two worked together so wonderfully, it was like two smaller rivers flowing into a big one.

Then again, Nevin always had that way with people.

I put on my biggest grin and turned to the two. “Mm mm! We can go now yes? Eteri help Stare walk if need?” I would help, in anyway possible. I could at least do that, right?

The kenku looked at me briefly before taking her dagger from the counter and wiping it on her tunic before slipping it back into the sheath. She looked a little weary but since there were feathers it was hard to tell if she was pale. “I'll be …” she paused as she leaned against the table, grunting. Taking in a breath she pushed herself up again. “Yeah, just don't … try to hug me, please.”

I nodded. Little did she know helping her like this was a side hug. So, one point to me I guess? The victory felt hollow as I scampered up to her and draped one arm around her waist, the other I used to steady her as I ducked my head under her arm. “Is feeling the ok? Can walk?”

“It's are you feeling okay, Eteri,” Stare said quietly. “As in …” and she switched to Akashiman. <“Are.”> And she gingerly accepted my support. I nodded and repeated the sentence with her correction. Just as I did with Nevin.

“Are you feeling ok?” The words rolled off the tongue a little easier. I didn’t wait for her to answer, if she could correct my poor speech she was fine. I took two small steps forward and waited as Stare got into the rhythm. We headed to the door and out of Nevin’s store. I had to admit ... It felt kinda weird with her feathers all brustling up against my skin.

Nevin was quiet as he closed and locked the door to the house attached to the shop, then he picked up the bottle with her blood in it. He seemed thoughtful as he walked behind us, watching us.

“We're staying in the house on Bottleberry,” she said, “The one with the huge fancy houses. If you … want to get a carriage then I can pay. It's not too far though.”

“If not far can walk!” I said with a nod. “Got lots energy. All time.” And it was true, especially of late I had far too much to burn. It even exasperated Nevin at times and he was the only one I had ever met….who was so patient with me. I turned over my shoulder to glance at him.

“Is Nevin okay?”

“Hmm?” He blinked and looked at me. “I'm fine, love. Thinking on things.” He gave me a smile. “Thank you for helping her.”

“You tell later.” I muttered. I turned my attention back to the road. It was late evening, so it wasn't as busy as it was during the middle of the day - but there were still people walking. Talking, shifting out of the way and staring at the sight. Nevin and I were fairly well known in the town, Stare - I wasn’t so sure. Maybe it was because she was barely able to stand? I readjusted her with a ‘hup’ and continued on. “Men...never not tell what on minds…” I mumbled to Stare.

The bird was quiet for a moment, her eyes focused forwards. Her chest heaved and I could feel her feathery wings bumping against my arm at her waist. “Yes they can be,” she agreed. “But some women can be too. I'm terrible at it.”

I snorted then laughed. She was like Nevin. It wasn’t surprising that the two were friends. “Do me the favor?” I asked as my laughter died down. “When Eteri die - look after Nevin. He will needing friend like you. Ah-” I shifted again as I tried to point to a house up ahead.

“Is that it?”

Stare looked up, and dragged in a breath. “Yes it is,” she said. “But … Extending your life may be possible, Eteri. Just make sure it's your choice. All of it. When you finally die, because you will want to, how your immortality works,” she looked at me with solid, dark eyes. “Your choice.” Then she pushed away from me suddenly to begin a staggered walk past the narrow gate to the tall terrace town house before us.

I wanted that...I wanted to extend my life, I’d stand by Nevin no matter what it took. Even if the costs were dire, to me - that was my duty. Not just as his partner, his girlfriend but as his priestess. Although Stare couldn’t see it, I gave her a small nod of confirmation and followed her inside.

Legend

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    As Stare strode with a determined stride up the pathway to the townhouse she realised that her and Eteri were strangely similar in some ways. Both of races from Akashima that had short lives themselves, both with some sort of divine being which to spend their remaining lives with. Eteri called herself Nevin's priestess … that was the same term Vitruvion had used for herself when he spoke of his hope for one day actually having a church and the ability to be worshipped. The main difference was of course that Eteri has chosen this life for her - and for Stare, it had been forced. It made the kenku grim and with far too many personal issues.

She got to the door and partly collapsed against the wood, hand fumbling for the handle. She twisted it and stepped in, grumbling in a loud voice. “It's me. Back with the alchemist.”

There was a grunt as a small man stepped into view. He peered at her, then past her at the two others behind her. Stare leant heavily on the doorway as she sighed and gestured Nevin and Eteri into the building.

“Jon, this is Nevin and his partner, wife, whatever Eteri. They are here to see Raevin. Give them everything they request and …” she looked back at them. “I'm going to just get some tea. I'll bring it up. Raevin is upstairs.”

Nevin had curled his arm around Eteri’s waist as they were introduced, and it looked like it had been an automatic gesture. He bowed his head to the man who was letting them in. “I just need to see the way to Raevin.” His tone was calm and polite, then he switched his gaze to Stare. “And thank you.”

The kenku grunted as she moved inside, giving them the room to get into the front hall. It was a fairly regular sized room, with a door off either side. To the back was a fine staircase that took up a lot of the space, then split off to both sides to lead to the first floor. Behind the staircase was a hidden third door and it was over to here that Stare was haphazardly walking.

Jon blinked, then looked at his guests. “Sir … madam, if you will …” and he began to awkwardly start up the stairs.

Eteri followed Jon closely, constantly glancing back over her shoulder to check on Stare. Her ears flat against her head as her eyebrows furrowed in a look of concern. Eteri paused midway up, hand tightly wrapped around the oak balustrade. “Is Stare ok? Stare not walking good.”

“Stare is.. Stubborn.” Nevin’s voice was soft behind the Kenku as she slowly, carefully moved away.

Stare continued in through the door, her body wavering still, but she managed to grab at the handle. Before her was a set of stairs and she began down them, carefully and slowly. She could feel the blood loss pounding through her head, but it was not like she had ever experienced anything like this before. Just a month and a half ago she had worked for over forty eight hours and her energy had been so depleted it had taken a jolt of energy from Vitruvion himself to make her able to stand.

At the bottom of the stairs she could smell the scents of a good kitchen. Heading there she entered the small area, where stoves of many kinds were presented, and a huge table dominated the centre. It was here that Elsie the cook sat, pounding a large cake of bread dough. When Stare came in she looked up, her small brown eyes blinking in her round face.

“Hello dear. How is Raevin?”

“I brought an alchemist friend,” Stare grunted, snatching a seat and collapsing into it. “He should help.”

Elsie paused. “Are you … alright?”

Stare nodded, waving a dismissive hand. “I've been worse, Elsie. I just need … tea.”

Get an extra cup, came the formal, but firm tone in her head.

She blinked. Why?

Trust me, you'll need it, was his reply. Then he was gone.

Leaving her extremely confused.

GP

Name
    Nevin Aimaparapoiitis
    Race
    Human (Godling)
    Nevin mounted the stairs behind the other two. He had remained at the base of the stairs, watching Stare until she disappeared from sight. He was, if anything, more concerned about her instability than Eteri was. He frowned as he realized the kenku woman had never actually taken the regenerative serum that would have helped her recover, despite him pressing it into her hand. He'd have to figure out what she had done with the vial and convince her to drink it later.

Red hair swayed as he shook his head and started up the stairs after the other two. He went faster than they had, climbing up them two at a time - and getting a face full of Eteri’s tail as he caught up to them. The blue haired catgirl turned to Nevin, lips pressed into an annoyed pout as he gave her a slight, sheepish grin.

Then they were at the top of the stairs, and Jon gave a loud grunt. “Sir Raevin’s room is this way.” Without waiting to see if they'd heard him, as he had spoken while facing a away from the couple, the... Butler? Manservant? - whatever term he preferred, the man strode off quickly heading down the hallway. Nevin raised an eyebrow.

“Eteri, my love, I don't think he cares much for us, do you?” The alchemist sighed and shook his head. It didn't matter whether the other man liked them - all that mattered was that he let Nevin do his job. After he reached out and squeezed Eteri’s hand, Nevin followed after the surly individual. He thankfully hadn't gone too far, and had pushed his way into another room. As Nevin entered, Jon gave him an evil glare - until a sharp clearing of the throat from the occupant of the room made him blanch.

“Thank you, Jon. That will be all.” The voice was rough, and a bit strained. Jon looked like he was building up to protest - “Jon, I meant what I said. The Alchemist is a known ally, he will not assault me. Depart.” The manservant gave an angry glare to Nevin then stormed out of the room, shoving past Eteri who was standing confused in the doorway. The catgirl turned and stuck her tongue out at the man’s back.

“Raevin. You've looked better.” Nevin had moved further into the room, and was now staring at Raevin’s semi-prone form. The captain of the guard gave him a strained smile. His left leg was missing, gone from the knee down, and bandages wrapped around his groin and the same side of his body. The elf started to try to sit, only to freeze under the stern glare of the alchemist. “Do not even think of moving, Raevin, or I will tie you up and give you a paralytic. Now then. There are - a couple of options here. But - should probably wait for Stare to return. She went to get tea - and I'll warn you now. The method we are thinking of using to help you... Will be rather drastic.”

Raevin shifted, a look of discomfort shooting over his face. But it was only a small movement, in order to place himself in a more comfortable position. “If you even try to tie me, alchemist, I will get the crow to blind you,” he paused. “Or whatever threat makes it worse.” He looked over to Eteri. “You must be Eteri. Crow - Stare - told me a little about you.”

“Eh?” Eteri blinked. “She did?” Nevin blinked and focused his dark gaze on his girlfriend.

“What exactly happened between the two of you? You mentioned a soul leech earlier but - just - what?” The alchemist sounded about as confused as the catgirl sounded surprised.

Nevin watched as Eteri’s tail flicked side to side. Her eyes shifted up to the ceiling and she was chewing her cheek, things she did when she was thinking. Cute little tells. Always wearing her emotions so clearly on her face. He folded his arms across his chest and waited - she would get the words out when she could, and rushing her usually ended up with her getting agitated.

“Ah. Looking for Barchie’s store. Stare kept following. Then Eteri follow Stare to this shop. Man had soul leech on his soul. Eteri….ah…still have.” She shoved her hand into her shoulder bag and rummaged around till she pulled out a small vial with what looked like a black, viscous sludge inside it. “Think it might be dead? Dying?” She stared at the vial then shook it. The sludge formed into a slug-like creature which began to bang against the glass.

The redhead let out a sharp hiss as crimson threads slipped from beneath his wrists as the little creature tried to escape. It felt wrong to even look at, like it was an abomination that was twisting and pervert in the world just by existing. He wanted to dissect it - and to obliterate it. “You - carry it with you?” His words came out in an almost disbelieving tone. She was looking for Barchie’s store - wait why did that name sound familiar - when the women had stumbled across this thing. Did that mean there were more somewhere in town? Was it being propagated somehow?

He desperately wanted to crush the vile little thing, to smash it out of existence. He forced his threads to retract though, the crimson receding back under his clothes as he gave a soft cough. “That… have you ever seen more of those things, dear?”

“Sometimes. This one paralyses victim. Then slowly infect soul. Eteri fix.”

“Wait,” Raevin suddenly spoke, his voice pained. “You met crow … Stare months ago from what I understand … just after her master - our employer - Sir Elssmith took her into his household. That would be about eight or nine months that you have had that.” He blinked. “My goodness, cat. But I'm sure if there was an epidemic, alchemist, then you would have noticed it.” He had managed to move himself up onto his elbows while they had been talking and was now looking between the two of them.

Nevin shook his head. “Not necessarily. Parasitic entities can take months, or years, to begin manifesting adverse effects upon the host creature. It gives them more time to propagate throughout an at risk population. It can also depend on the gestation period of the entities in question - who is to say that they didn't just catch the first one to hatch?” He frowned sharply and gestured to the thing in the glass vial.

“If it has survived thus long without a host to feed upon, imagine how long it might be able to live with such a host. After all, the number of people who would be able to properly see such beings here is a rather limited number. And - that thing does not look like a progenitor to me.” The alchemist folded his arms and began drumming the fingers of his right hand against his left bicep as he thought.

“But - that doesn't matter right now. What does matter is the task at hand. The restoration of your leg. And lay back down - I think Stare would rather be more upset with you for moving and hurting yourself, than she should be with me for preventing you from hurting yourself.” Nevin focused his eyes back on the half propped up form of the captain of the guard.

Raevin glared daggers at him, then at Eteri before he slumped back down. “The leg isn't the problem, alchemist, the burns are those that hurt. Damn demons.” The redhead hummed in thought at the response from the elf.

A member of the NevCrew: