Level completed: 81%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,596

GP

Name
    Lichensith Ulroke
    Race
    Human

Power Group Discussion

What do you miss most about Power Groups?

What do you want to see form them if they return?

I'm Asking you Icely

EXP: 33,893, Level: 7
    Level completed: 87%, EXP required for next Level: 1,107
    Level completed: 87%,
    EXP required for next Level: 1,107

GP

Name
    Ashla Rose Icebreaker
    Race
    Human/Elf Hybrid

View Profile
    I miss how power groups brought different players together under unified banners, offered up a kindred brand of player interactions, and, of course, PG Warz!

It would be neat to see currently NPC PG's come back as more than just behind the scenes stuff. Let's see the Crimson Hand, Gilded Lily, and Tarot come back, please? Seeing new PG's would be awesome too! Power Groups feel like a step into a bigger world ICly, and OOCly are great RP and storyline material. It feels like radical and awesome events take place when major power groups claim territory and influence across both the IC world and OOC playing board. It also expands the lore and even creates new regions, races, and epic tales in canon history! At least, that's how I see it.

I would love to see power groups come back full force. What would I want if they came back? Everything listed above.
    #MakePowerGroupsGreatAgain #OverusedMemes.

"I did what I had to do! Nobody was taking care of these murderers, slavers, robbers! The Rangers weren’t! The Bladesingers weren’t! Somebody had to do something! So I did. And I will extract justice onto every criminal in the world until there is only the good guys. I tried using mercy and compassion. Those don’t work. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and I will take every measure necessary to save the world.” ~ Ashla Icebreaker.

Sweet Cinnamoth

EXP: 37,766, Level: 8
    Level completed: 31%, EXP required for next Level: 6,234
    Level completed: 31%,
    EXP required for next Level: 6,234

GP

Name
    Fennik Glenwey
    Race
    Frost Fae

View Profile
    I don't really miss them, mostly because they weren't doing too much by the time I joined Althy? Tarot and the Crimson Hand were... there! If we had more people, then they'd be a neat way to drive roleplay, get people connected with each other over shared goals (and maybe rivalries). But I'm not sure that we have the playerbase to sustain that kind of thing right now. What is the benefit of a powergroup if we don't have enough active writers to really run multiple opposing/competing factions and all the delicious intrigue that comes with that? If one wants a group, then they can develop an IC organization and play around with that!

...sorry if that seems harsh. ^^'
    "I'm funny, so they let me live." - Skippy's List

The Wiki Matriarch, the Vignette Enthusiast, your friendly neighborhood Cinnamon Smol, and very excited to roleplay!

I play this rude little bug! Spell his name F E N N I K. No "c".

Innocence & Instincts

EXP: 29,359, Level: 7
    Level completed: 30%, EXP required for next Level: 5,641
    Level completed: 30%,
    EXP required for next Level: 5,641

GP

Name
    Black Shadow
    Race
    Human
    The thing I noticed with being a part of the power groups, specifically the IK, is that there were missions boards, things that were there for people to do, things that people COULD do ,but rarely were these quests actually done. And there were some good quest ideas out there for the IK, but no one took them up. Gavner started one, he's actually still writing it I believe and will finish it eventually, but there was no body actually doing it. The power groups did not seem to have too much of an incentive to be a part of, no real extras except access to group specific things (like the IKs vault of items we could rent for a thread). That said I want the Pos to come back because I miss them and they were fun to do the wars, but other than the wars the Pos were pretty much dead.

GP

Name
    Kyla Orlouge
    Power groups were a lot more fun before they became so micro-managed. I could care less about an HQ or rewards or what-not. What made PGs fun for me (and this was before it was technically called a PG) was writing with other people in a way that made sense. Often when you throw to characters together it is just for the sake of writing with someone else. With the IK, long before PGs were a controlled thing, we just had a ton of fun writing about life with a bunch of warriors in a castle. Once the administration got involved and it became a battle of who's stick was bigger they were ruined(this was a lot of people doing it, I promise I'm not calling out anyone in particular ). While I would love to see PGs come back in some capacity, I'd hate to see them turn into what they did towards the end of my last run here.

If I could go back and do one thing over during my last run, it would be convince Cal to not turn the IK into a formal PG.

Supreme Overlord

EXP: 96,913, Level: 13
    Level completed: 50%, EXP required for next Level: 7,087
    Level completed: 50%,
    EXP required for next Level: 7,087

GP

Name
    Max Dirks
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    I'm not sure what you're referring to Amber Eyes. HQs have existed since the first iteration of PGs. I would know; I was the original moderator! There was a short time where we experimented with regional bonuses. This might have occurred when the IK was in its infancy, but I can't recall. In any event, I'm with FennWenn. If there is no incentive to join a PG, then why would anyone join a PG? If it were to write with others and give characters a reason to bond, then folks would already be doing it without a formal system.

That said, Lye. If PGs come back, they need to incentivize people to interact. In the past, Althanas was very battle heavy. Wars, along with a victor goes the spoils worked better back then. Now a days, folks largely prefer to quest. I'd look to combine the proposed regional perk or job system with the PG period I believe Amber Eyes is referring to and build from there.

My proposal is this. PG's must be registered. To register, PGs must have three people. The PG leader will then work with the moderator to come up with a balanced PG perk. If it is approved, the PG will be approved. PGs are capped at ten members. One account per PG. PG members get to use that perk. No attacks, only wars (meaning PG wars are all done with the advice and consent of their respective members). Competing in and/or winning Althanas content events (tournaments, guided quests, featured quests, etc.) gets all the members of the clan a small boost. No activity checks; limited moderation. I'll reopen the group function on the site for private chat. Groups can also be listed in the postbit so people can proudly display their clan name. That's what I'd like to see.

Legend

EXP: 127,650, Level: 15
    Level completed: 55%, EXP required for next Level: 7,350
    Level completed: 55%,
    EXP required for next Level: 7,350

GP

Name
    Philomel van der Aart (+ Veridian)
    Race
    Faun (+ Fox/Earth Spirit)

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Dirks View Post
    One account per PG.
    Just checking what this means Mr Dirks. Is this that you can only have one of your accounts per PG? So, for instance, I could not have Stare and Phi in the same PG?

Thank you.

Sounds very reasonable, the rest of it.
    *admin at your service*

Matriarch of the Gilded Lily and of its brothels, associated establishments and the army.

Characters:
    The family triplet: Philomel, Vaeron and Celandine.
    The god and kenku triplet: Stare, Avin and Vixen.
    The Primordials: Professor Charles and Moros.

Innocence & Instincts

EXP: 29,359, Level: 7
    Level completed: 30%, EXP required for next Level: 5,641
    Level completed: 30%,
    EXP required for next Level: 5,641

GP

Name
    Black Shadow
    Race
    Human
    Dirksy, I actually like that plan! not so much to the cap at 10, but that prevents people from mass joining one clan (like when the IK had 26 members...) and so I understand it!

Supreme Overlord

EXP: 96,913, Level: 13
    Level completed: 50%, EXP required for next Level: 7,087
    Level completed: 50%,
    EXP required for next Level: 7,087

GP

Name
    Max Dirks
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Shadow View Post
    Dirksy, I actually like that plan! not so much to the cap at 10, but that prevents people from mass joining one clan (like when the IK had 26 members...) and so I understand it!
    Right. Sure we could allow unlimited members, but only allow 10 to receive the perk, but that makes things way too complicated for moderators.

Administrator

EXP: 87,404, Level: 12
    Level completed: 81%, EXP required for next Level: 2,596
    Level completed: 81%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,596

GP

Name
    Lichensith Ulroke
    Race
    Human
    This isn't to say we are or are not bringing back PGs. I want to know what you miss and what you'd like to have brought back if anything.

Overall, I'm seeing reasons that have nothing to do with rewards or incentives other than a common flag to fly between characters. No system is really needed for that. Just like I still write the CH with Amari and Shinsou has his Brotherhood of Castigars.

Dirks proposition adds a fun twist of regional bonuses. Which is fine. And the limiting members has to do with people who want to be in all the clubs and get all the club perks. That would be game breaking if left unchecked. So I'm not too keen on incentives since that was the primary reason so much conflict arose over the old system. How many months did players receive boosted rewards for having an HQ uncontested? How many free levels did that earn? It can be argued that they weren't "free" but earned, but the subject is touchy none the less.

So again, what would you want to see out of power groups? People miss them, but what could you do then that you cannot do now?