EXP required for next Level: 879

GP

Name
    Yvonne Mythrilmantle
    Race
    Grey Dwarf

View Profile

Hello Althanasians!

Yes, I'm going to thread one of those awkward hello from a newbie - tentative wave while wary of tomato-based trash throwing - introductory posts with little purpose other than to get to know some of you and vice versa. New kid on the block here. I've been reading threads for a few weeks now, lurking in the shadows and decided it was time to step up and have a go myself. Hopefully you peeps have room for one more.

I may be new here however truth be told I've visited my fair share of play by post roleplaying sites. They're an old favourite of mine since I began writing way back in 2002. The style of Althanas reminds me of where it all started - the game and the writing combined - filling me with nostalgia, though there are some notable improvements here (such as your rubric and workshop). I've played many characters over the years, also dabbled in moderating and dungeon-mastering threads for groups of players to some success.

My character sheet is coming together after shaking off the rust of writer's block, a few weeks in the making, a few final touches and polish left to do. I've a few obscure questions that you may be able to help me with. Would there be any nations that have their own calender, unique names of months, special dates, that sort of thing or do we default to the months we all know and love? Also, currency, it's exceedingly important to Yvonne. Are there different kinds or is it all shiny, twinkley gold pieces? Any platinum, silver, copper? Perhaps your elves trade in exotic beetle shells? No? *sad face*

Anyhow, thank you for dropping in and ogling at me for a while, perhaps even leaving a few kind words and well wishes. It was pleasant simply saying hello.

upon the cheek of night

EXP: 224,444, Level: 20
    Level completed: 0%, EXP required for next Level: 0
    Level completed: 0%,
    EXP required for next Level: 0

GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod
    Welcome! I hope you decide to stick around and do some writing
    "The breeze did not stir. The stars did not twinkle. The trees did not sway and the brook did not babble.
    For the world did not turn when Am'aleh wept, and a tear had tumbled down her cheek."

EXP: 2,105, Level: 2
    Level completed: 4%, EXP required for next Level: 2,895
    Level completed: 4%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,895

GP

Name
    Erik Dranglein
    Looking forward to seeing a new face, hello and welcome! For some of your questions - I think a lot of stuff is left 'unsaid' and is usually up to the current writer's discretion. Currency is usually left as standard 'gold' - races might have a special unique currency if you want but it isn't hard and fast. You didn't ask about it, but there is a common language, but most of the non-human races feasibly have their own tongue.

I look forward to seeing you write here!
    "Fires Fade, the dimming of the embers. Come reignite this hopeful flame."

A member of the NevCrew:
    Nevin: Thread count: please, don't try.
    Erik: Thread count: five or six. Maybe seven...
    Huntsman: seven. Maybe eight. Shhhhhhh.
    Telli' thread count: zero. I just can't get into writing the little hellion.

Nuclear Rage

EXP: 64,948, Level: 10
    Level completed: 99%, EXP required for next Level: 52
    Level completed: 99%,
    EXP required for next Level: 52

GP

Name
    Felicity Rhyolite
    Race
    Neanderthal/ Human Hybrid

View Profile
    Welcome to Althanas!

I always wrote characters using coins, but... never thought about that. I would have to go with Erik's advice.
    "I can't be proud of anything. I am ashamed of everything."

"I gave my heart, my allegiance, all my energy for this and got nothing but ashes in return. What on earth did I do to deserve being chewed and spit out like this? Time and time again, it's all the same."

Felicity Playlist.

Administrator

EXP: 87,404, Level: 12
    Level completed: 81%, EXP required for next Level: 2,596
    Level completed: 81%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,596

GP

Name
    Lichensith Ulroke
    Race
    Human
    Welcome. I'm the resident banhammer and general antagonist. As for currency, we've kept the trackable stuff as plain old GP. As for in-thread, I've written my own personal touch on currencies. Each nation using something different or exotic. Raiaeran coin is imbued gold that never wears worth more than trade gold. Fallien trades in rare glass. Deathain would be more of a barter system of oddities or commodities.

But, that's my own personal headcanon. Many people stick to flattened yellow metal.

Feel free to add your own personal touch. If it catches enough sway, we can always adopt it to official canon.

Legend

EXP: 127,650, Level: 15
    Level completed: 55%, EXP required for next Level: 7,350
    Level completed: 55%,
    EXP required for next Level: 7,350

GP

Name
    Philomel van der Aart (+ Veridian)
    Race
    Faun (+ Fox/Earth Spirit)

View Profile
    Hey! And welcome. I'm a moderator so if you have any questions feel free to throw them my way. I can usually be found lurking in the discord channel.

The common tongue is called Tradespeak here and we have gold and Raiaeran Gold that is worth about ten of a normal, depending on who you ask. The rest is simple silver and coppers is what people tend to use.

Looking forward to writing with you!
    *admin at your service*

Matriarch of the Gilded Lily and of its brothels, associated establishments and the army.

Characters:
    The family triplet: Philomel, Vaeron and Celandine.
    The god and kenku triplet: Stare, Avin and Vixen.
    The Primordials: Professor Charles and Moros.

Hero

GP

Name
    Garron Ivari Cadeyrn
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Welcome to Althanas!
    "My life is simple, my food is plain, and my quarters are uncluttered. In all things, I have sought clarity. I face the troubles and problems of life and death willingly. Virtue, integrity and courage are my priorities. I can be approached, but never pushed; befriended but never coerced; killed but never shamed."

GP

Name
    Mihari Izayoi
    Race
    Nekomata

View Profile
    Hihi! Welcome to Althanas!

This community's been around quite a bit, but we're nice people when you really get to know them. You might be able to catch us around on Chat at random periods in the day, depending on the time zones. If there are things you would like to know or contribute, ask away! We always welcome new insights that will help the community grow!

EXP: 8,121, Level: 3
    Level completed: 79%, EXP required for next Level: 879
    Level completed: 79%,
    EXP required for next Level: 879

GP

Name
    Yvonne Mythrilmantle
    Race
    Grey Dwarf

View Profile
    Thank you very much everyone for the gracious welcome.

It's reassuring to know some things are left unsaid and we have creative license. I've written for worlds that were very strict in their standards so this Althanas-freedom will take some getting used to, haha.

Tradespeak I managed to glean from reading 'Meteoric Spiderbutt' if I remember rightly. Hard to forget with a name like that. *smiles*

I've a few picky Alerar-related questions if anyone is willing to bite. 'How advanced is Alerar?' is too vague a question... I know all about their gunpowder weapons, their magitech airships - steampunk technology. Those are a big deal. I'm more interested in the little things, the day-to-day objects.

I take it the flint and tinderbox fell out of use there a while ago, so what was it replaced with? Phosphorous matches? Arcano-lighters? Handheld flamethrowers?

How about a wood-chopping hatchet? That seems way too barbaric for them but a chainsaw seems too advanced. Where is the line?

I guess steampunk is one of my weak points. I've less experience with it compared to high fantasy, medieval fantasy, modern and sci-fi. I suppose that's what has drawn me to it this time - it's something familiar but new.
    So I’m cutting that branch off the cherry tree.
    Singing this will be my victory.
    Then I, I see them coming after me.
    And they’re following me across the sea.
    And now they’re stinging my friends and my family.
    And I, I don’t know why this is happening.
    ~ Thrice, Black Honey.

Legend

EXP: 127,650, Level: 15
    Level completed: 55%, EXP required for next Level: 7,350
    Level completed: 55%,
    EXP required for next Level: 7,350

GP

Name
    Philomel van der Aart (+ Veridian)
    Race
    Faun (+ Fox/Earth Spirit)

View Profile
    I think tinderboxes are a general accepted taken. Anything that you can create with your mind I think is okay. Guns are up to the levels of revolvers more or less, the traditional old ones that pirates have. Airships are usually described as being like zepplins. It depends who you talk to probably about technology. Recently there have been threads with content about genetic experimenting - e.g. making people stronger with serums and so on. If you add magic to the mix then you can make more things. The main thing I do is consider what the cultures have already, and why they might make things when they have magic etc.

Oh and steam trains are a thing. Between the cities.
    *admin at your service*

Matriarch of the Gilded Lily and of its brothels, associated establishments and the army.

Characters:
    The family triplet: Philomel, Vaeron and Celandine.
    The god and kenku triplet: Stare, Avin and Vixen.
    The Primordials: Professor Charles and Moros.