EXP required for next Level: 52

GP

Name
    Felicity Rhyolite
    Race
    Neanderthal/ Human Hybrid

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Philomel View Post
    Oh and steam trains are a thing. Between the cities.
    [strike]Theeeeeeeeeeeeey're two! They're four! They're six! They're eight! Shunting trucks and hauling freight! Red and gree-[/strike]okay, trying to help answer Yvonne's questions:

Maybe looking at technology from the RL industrial revolution can help? I never thought of "average life" technology in Alerar before, but I can easily imagine that early telephones, electricity, or at least typewriters are a thing. How about bicycles? Since "steampunk" and steam "energy" is basically a form of hydroelectricity, saying that electricity has been invented isn't that far fetched. I'd say that looking at the lore, maybe only wealthy folk and criminals could afford such technology? Then again, even slaves in Alerar can get an education, so...

In terms of alchemy, serums, etc., Alerar's alchemy is strongly scientific, so using magic in it is usually unlikely. However, the good old Alchemist's Guild may have more shifty workers (and if not the Alchemist's Guild, the dreaded "Fourth" Guild...) Finding a way to combine real world science with magic could prove sweet!

Then again, I could be wrong on all of this. But this is my two cents. xD
    "I can't be proud of anything. I am ashamed of everything."

"I gave my heart, my allegiance, all my energy for this and got nothing but ashes in return. What on earth did I do to deserve being chewed and spit out like this? Time and time again, it's all the same."

Felicity Playlist.

Legend

EXP: 127,650, Level: 15
    Level completed: 55%, EXP required for next Level: 7,350
    Level completed: 55%,
    EXP required for next Level: 7,350

GP

Name
    Philomel van der Aart (+ Veridian)
    Race
    Faun (+ Fox/Earth Spirit)

View Profile
    Ah yes sorry ignore me. Magic in Alerar is rare and looked down upon a bit. Not as much as Salvar but ... It's not common. But there may be some tech and magic things that go together, influenced by Alerar for instance.
    *admin at your service*

Matriarch of the Gilded Lily and of its brothels, associated establishments and the army.

Characters:
    The family triplet: Philomel, Vaeron and Celandine.
    The god and kenku triplet: Stare, Avin and Vixen.
    The Primordials: Professor Charles and Moros.

Nuclear Rage

EXP: 64,948, Level: 10
    Level completed: 99%, EXP required for next Level: 52
    Level completed: 99%,
    EXP required for next Level: 52

GP

Name
    Felicity Rhyolite
    Race
    Neanderthal/ Human Hybrid

View Profile
    I looked at the wiki and found these quotes:

Orderly arrangements of columns, pilasters and lintels, as well as the use of semicircular arches, hemispherical domes, niches and aedicula ... Prominent features of modern Alerian architecture combine the aforementioned style with brass, clockworks, and several other technological features that support their lifestyle.
    So clockwork is a thing. Clockwork style equipment, weapons, and such could be a thing as well. Music boxes also entered my mind.

Artists are now exploring a brand new frontier, photography in its infancy.
    Based off of this, very clearly, early cameras exist. For example, the RL Daguerreotype methods of photography. It's plausible that early movie cameras, or at least projectors, aren't that far from existence.

Engineers' Guild - The newest but fastest-growing guild, the Engineers construct the great machines and modern factories in Alerar. If it runs with steam and gears, the Engineers probably built it. Slang term: "White Hood."
    This gives us a lot to work with. So "great machines" and "modern factories" means that sweat shops existed, alongside sowing machines, those things that made threads that were hazardous that kids had to work with and get traumatic injuries from...

Alerar really needs some Workers Unions...

Alchemists' Guild - Responsible for crafting everything from simple salves to the sorcerous power sources of the airships, the Alchemists Guild is the only one that still practices magic, albeit in a way much more bound to the material world. Everything from potions to rune-forged steel comes from the Alchemists. They maintain vast elaborate laboratories with all the beakers and tubes one might expect. Many even venture into more traditional scientific research, such as rudimentary physics and geology. A common slang for an Alchemist is "Blue Hood", referencing their standard uniforms.
    The part about Runes is really interesting. Not only is "down to earth" lowkey magic and science practiced, but the art of using runes (a thing more closely associated with magic) is used to.

The Boilerworks is the name given to any one of six massive facilities located along the river that cuts through Ettermire. The Boilerworks draws water from the river, stoking it into massive steam engines which drive nearly all the sources of mechanical power in Ettermire. The steam engines link to a network of chains and gears that run under the streets of the city, which provides municipal mechanical power by means of a drive train that transfers the mechanical power from under the streets to in the home, which can provide power for anything from dough-kneading to a smith's bellows.
    Electricity exists confirmed. Does this mean fridges and laundry machines exist?

Beneath the city lies a vast network of tunnels and sewers. This endless maze is said to contain secret passageways to every part of the city and as such.
    Sewer systems exist too.

The Armory is where the dwarves and dark elves sell their wares to those who make the long journey to Kachuck -- and who earn their trust. Excellent armor and weaponry of all sorts can be purchased here, but only if the dwarves decide they like you.
    Dwarves also make advanced everything's.
    Last edited by Flamebird; 02-17-2018 at 06:16 PM.
    "I can't be proud of anything. I am ashamed of everything."

"I gave my heart, my allegiance, all my energy for this and got nothing but ashes in return. What on earth did I do to deserve being chewed and spit out like this? Time and time again, it's all the same."

Felicity Playlist.

Sweet Cinnamoth

EXP: 37,766, Level: 8
    Level completed: 31%, EXP required for next Level: 6,234
    Level completed: 31%,
    EXP required for next Level: 6,234

GP

Name
    Fennik Glenwey
    Race
    Frost Fae

View Profile
    *Hops in to belatedly wave hello to the newperson and flashes a thumbs-up for readin Spiderbutt!*

Legend

EXP: 127,650, Level: 15
    Level completed: 55%, EXP required for next Level: 7,350
    Level completed: 55%,
    EXP required for next Level: 7,350

GP

Name
    Philomel van der Aart (+ Veridian)
    Race
    Faun (+ Fox/Earth Spirit)

View Profile
    Sewer systems existed before Victorian times, or came in during them so they'd likely be in most cultures.

For electricity it generally took a good few decades for it to become viable for use. I wouldn't think full fridges yet, but think I've houses. Think very simple electronic lights. They still need a lot of generation. Batteries wouldn't exist yet. Cars likely wouldn't.

In terms of factories I think industrial revolution. So you've got the massive cotton mills. Huge food factories. Some of it would be automated by machine but needs huge manpower. There might be early conveyer belts, but they would be driven by clockwork. One book I read once actually had clockwork animals so that might be something to consider.
    *admin at your service*

Matriarch of the Gilded Lily and of its brothels, associated establishments and the army.

Characters:
    The family triplet: Philomel, Vaeron and Celandine.
    The god and kenku triplet: Stare, Avin and Vixen.
    The Primordials: Professor Charles and Moros.

EXP: 8,121, Level: 3
    Level completed: 79%, EXP required for next Level: 879
    Level completed: 79%,
    EXP required for next Level: 879

GP

Name
    Yvonne Mythrilmantle
    Race
    Grey Dwarf

View Profile
    Wow, you two went out of your way on this, especially Flamebird. Every time I'd glance back at the thread she had dug even deeper into the wiki, below and beyond! Careful not to dig too deep Flamebird, you never know what you'll unearth. Maybe a baelrog of shadow and flame lives under the wiki, haha.

Serious face, thank you kindly for your efforts. This material was very helpful in clearing up some of the details I kept pondering and that was slowing down my writing process. Back on track thanks to you peeps.

I believe the notion that the wealthy and the underworld alone would have access to the latest technological advances. The second class citizens and the poor would make do with the scraps they could scrape together.

I'm terrible, I laughed way too much at the mention of kids in sweatshops and in need of a worker's union. They'll be waiting until the 1800s to come along before the first one is founded, haha.

Magic, as long as it is very low risk and controlled is accepted. I'd expect wild mages to be hunted down and imprisoned, or executed, as they have next to no control over their talent.

Dwarves are among the greatest blacksmiths and craftsmen, builders and engineers in the known world, but they are firmly under the bootheel of the dark elves, and I'd imagine its dark elves that own the businesses and collect the bulk of the profits. Meaning the dark elves control the money, they buy the tech, and they control how it is dispersed among their underlings. There are exceptions of course, rich and powerful dwarves, but its an uphill slog for them.

The mention of cotton mills was very helpful to nail down Yvonne's apparel, thank ye. I'm on the home stretch of my history (which I should have posted in the next day or so) and I have no further questions. You peeps were genuinely awesome. *curtsy*
    Last edited by Yvonne; 02-18-2018 at 08:28 PM.
    So I’m cutting that branch off the cherry tree.
    Singing this will be my victory.
    Then I, I see them coming after me.
    And they’re following me across the sea.
    And now they’re stinging my friends and my family.
    And I, I don’t know why this is happening.
    ~ Thrice, Black Honey.