EXP required for next Level: 52

GP

Name
    Felicity Rhyolite
    Race
    Neanderthal/ Human Hybrid

View Profile

The Physics of Super Strength Video

Because Science made an interesting video on what super strength would really be like. Hmm... food for thought? *Insert thinking emoji*
    "I can't be proud of anything. I am ashamed of everything."

"I gave my heart, my allegiance, all my energy for this and got nothing but ashes in return. What on earth did I do to deserve being chewed and spit out like this? Time and time again, it's all the same."

Felicity Playlist.

EXP: 8,121, Level: 3
    Level completed: 79%, EXP required for next Level: 879
    Level completed: 79%,
    EXP required for next Level: 879

GP

Name
    Yvonne Mythrilmantle
    Race
    Grey Dwarf

View Profile
    Martial artists solved this issue thousands of years ago. If you need to apply force apply it from a strong stance.

This scientist guy might think he's smart but he's punching from a resting, upright position. By stepping back into a long, triangular stance you can absorb a much greater force and prevent your punch from sending you to the sun.
    So I’m cutting that branch off the cherry tree.
    Singing this will be my victory.
    Then I, I see them coming after me.
    And they’re following me across the sea.
    And now they’re stinging my friends and my family.
    And I, I don’t know why this is happening.
    ~ Thrice, Black Honey.

GP

Name
    Mihari Izayoi
    Race
    Nekomata

View Profile
    As with all things physical, Sir Isaac Newton is still the biggest badass this side of the Milky Way.

Truthfully speaking, I like how this guy gives us the presentations of his arguments. They're logical and entertaining. He also covers a lot of bases on the practicality and limitations of the so-called "super strength" and its application.

It's not so much as what kind of stance you're applying force from. It's also about your physical mass and how you're anchored. Martial arts have stance that help to anchor you to the ground when you begin applying force - you'll recall that punching from a "weak" standing stance will more likely cause you to fall backwards into the floor. With a proper stance, you're sending the reaction force from the punch into the ground through your legs. And that's just with the normal human-level strength.

Imagine you can apply 10 times more force than a normal human. Even when punching from the correct stance, you're still sending all that reaction force somewhere. Into the ground, right? Consider the compressibility of the ground, then. If you're standing on dirt, your feet will more or less dig straight into the ground (like how you'll often find yourself when trying to push a car out of a rut).

An average boxer's punch clocks in around 700 lbs. of force. That's already hitting harder than getting hit by a .45 ACP (averaging around 400-600 ft.lbf.). If you had super-strength and punched at full strength, you're more likely to blow a hole into the side armor of an M1 Abrams than punching a baddie across the room.

So when someone says something hits like a truck, they probably mean it.