Level completed: 83%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,206

GP

Name
    Storm Veritas
    Race
    Human

My Public Keto Experiment

Feel free to chime in, add questions, ideas, whatever. I wanted a place to track how things go as I'm pretty excited about this little ordeal and wish I knew people that had done it that could explain some of this stuff to me in advance.

Ride The Lightning

EXP: 166,794, Level: 17
    Level completed: 83%, EXP required for next Level: 3,206

GP

Name
    Storm Veritas
    Race
    Human
    Day 1 (April 2):
    Weight (6 AM): 193.1 lbs

HOLY SHIT you fat idiot, I said to myself, considering my sins yesterday. For the last three years I've had a somewhat healthy, sort-of-lazy diet that allowed me to cheat as desired while I mostly kept myself full by gorging on fruit like a zoo-kept sea mammal. I also run really frequently, averaging in the ballpark of 30 miles / week. I'm reasonably quick for an older guy, over the weekend I did a "long" run (8.00 miles at 7:35/mile) and a "short" one (4.6 miles at 7:28/mile) which were both very respectable.

Since I already exercise and eat reasonably well, it's tougher for me to fix things, so I need to be very careful if I'm going to be in shape. I've decided to try the Ketosis Diet, which basically starves the body of ALL carbohydrates (including fruit-borne ones!), and allows you to suck down fats at will.

Now, my weight is a little misleading. On Saturday, I finished my long run and weighed just over 186; this was dehydrated. Yesterday, I did to sugar what a bachelor does with strippers, and went WAY crazier than I normally would.

In reality, my starting weight is probably closer to 191, and my goal is to get to about 175. I'm only committing to 30 days on this diet, so it will take pretty rapid weight loss to succeed. After a month, we'll see where I'm at.

Day 1, I am feeling very motivated, and my blood sugar is still almost certainly high as a residue from yesterday's nonsense. I have bought supplements of magnesium/potassium/sodium, will be eating loads of extra spinach and mushrooms to offset these electrolytes. I have a tough job and work weird/late hours, so total lethargy could be a major problem.

Ride The Lightning

GP

Name
    Storm Veritas
    Race
    Human
    Day 2 (April 3)
    Weight - 192.0 lbs

Yesterday was quite an experience. Actively eating high-fat foods is really bizarre; it makes you feel guilty and strange at the same time. I was absolutely STARVING by about 1 PM, after eating lunch in the ballpark of 11:30. I'm nearly certain it wasn't really hunger per-se, but rather my body used to eating carbs at that time and really aching for a good old-fashioned piece of toast.

It didn't make matters any easier that the Easter desserts were still out on the side serving table. Cake. Cookies. Carrot Cake. They called to me like the Sirens every time I went by (and I work from home, compounding the problem), but I held strong.

Keto carb counters can also kiss my ass. Vegetables which appeared to be keto-friendly, like carrots, actually were much higher than I expected (5 g of sugar for a cup of carrots!?) based on the counter I was using. Mushrooms and tomatoes also scored pretty high.

With all the salt (and electrolytes) I'm taking in to combat dehydration, I really needed to mix in some extra non-salty food. Spinach is great, but I just can't eat it without salad dressing. I find myself PARCHED because I'm struggling to combat all the salt in everything available to me.

Running was easier than I expected. I did the same 4.6 mile loop I often do when I'm pinched for time, but was pretty strong and not cramping up like I am wont to do when I'm dehydrated. That was a pleasant surprise.

Today, hunger is dramatically reduced; haven't had a snack since breakfast and it's 11 AM (I eat at 6). Hopefully my weight loss doesn't just taper quickly because I was definitely disappointed in yesterday's 1.1 lb weight loss. I expected I was holding onto a lot of bogus weight on Monday morning because of my gorging Sunday; maybe I'm still holding onto water weight because of the salt hike?

Fingers crossed this afternoon is less apocalyptic than yesterday.

Viator Mundi

EXP: 155,108, Level: 17
    Level completed: 18%, EXP required for next Level: 14,892
    Level completed: 18%,
    EXP required for next Level: 14,892

GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Telgradian

View Profile
    For a moment, I misread the title and thought you were going on a public ketamine binge.

Moving on.

Being the fat bastard I am, your diet intrigues me. I've googled the keto diet and I get mixed messages back, so I was wondering if I could hear from the horses mouth the best way to prepare oneself for the end times that this diet seems to be
    Last edited by Shinsou Vaan Osiris; 04-04-2018 at 03:09 AM.

Ride The Lightning

GP

Name
    Storm Veritas
    Race
    Human
    Day 3 (April 4)
    Weight - 189.4 lbs

Day 2 was MUCH easier in terms of hunger than Day 1. I also lost more weight, even though I hadn't had a chance to run. Both yesterday and today are complete abortions when it comes to running, because I'm tied up with too much ancillary shit.

I am -not- in ketosis, or so claims the little strips you pee on. I -am- definitely eating way, way less. For dessert I had some "Halo" ice cream last night; it's in the US, 80 calories per half cup, and low in carbs. I had a half cup; it was FUCKING DELICIOUS but I find it hard to believe it's Keto.

Shin, the key for me so far was to make sure you have plenty of fat-rich foods available. You still need something in your stomach as your stomach shrinks, since you'll be full faster and can get away with much less volume. Water is critical, as is salt. Eat lots of salt. Electrolytes are also important; potassium, sodium, and magnesium are all stripped from your body as you go into ketosis and that is not a good thing. Lots of spinach, broccoli, and veggies in general has kept that afloat.

I'm only a few days in but it's already gotten way easier. I don't know how things will go for a further stretch. Personally, I expect this will be a 4-week refresh for my body, after which I'll leave ketosis and bring fruit back into the fray.

Ride The Lightning

GP

Name
    Storm Veritas
    Race
    Human
    Day 4 (April 5)
    Weight - 188.3 lbs

Wow! Two days in a row without runs, and I still lost weight? I'm eating dramatically less, but being fairly sedentary while mired in work/home repairs hell. Hunger pangs are dramatically reduced. Also, Pro-Tip: Powerade Zero is delicious, and rich in electrolytes (and for once, that's actually a thing). It's not just Brawndo, for anyone that gets that reference.

Going well. Getting a run in today. Let's. Go.

Ride The Lightning

GP

Name
    Storm Veritas
    Race
    Human
    Day 5 (April 6)
    Weight - 187.8 lbs

Another day with progress, I think. Life is so hectic right now it's just absurd. Constantly running errands and trying to get work in order, which is 100% herding cats right now. Way too many things to take care of, and my wife's car shits the bed. Since I work from home, that means she takes my car and I'm stuck trying to get the car fixed while managing all this other stuff. 'Tis bullshit.

The diet has become really easy. I can manage this with no problem, and I'm not hungry at all. No afternoon mega-pangs like I was suffering from. No big new temptations.

The first weekend is coming; that will be a battle. Been planning foods and I'm thinking tonight will be sashimi-style sushi with edamame. Looking forward to it.

Also, good news! Whiskey is carb-free and can be drunk on keto, which gives me a nice go-to with beer off the table for now.

Viator Mundi

EXP: 155,108, Level: 17
    Level completed: 18%, EXP required for next Level: 14,892
    Level completed: 18%,
    EXP required for next Level: 14,892

GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Telgradian

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Veritas View Post
    Day 5 (April 6)
    Weight - 187.8 lbs

Another day with progress, I think. Life is so hectic right now it's just absurd. Constantly running errands and trying to get work in order, which is 100% herding cats right now. Way too many things to take care of, and my wife's car shits the bed. Since I work from home, that means she takes my car and I'm stuck trying to get the car fixed while managing all this other stuff. 'Tis bullshit.

The diet has become really easy. I can manage this with no problem, and I'm not hungry at all. No afternoon mega-pangs like I was suffering from. No big new temptations.

The first weekend is coming; that will be a battle. Been planning foods and I'm thinking tonight will be sashimi-style sushi with edamame. Looking forward to it.

Also, good news! Whiskey is carb-free and can be drunk on keto, which gives me a nice go-to with beer off the table for now.
    Sold.

Ride The Lightning

GP

Name
    Storm Veritas
    Race
    Human
    Day 6 (April 7)
    Weight - 186.7 lbs

Chinese food (chicken wings, beef & broccoli) for dinner last night was incredible. I'm guessing the B&B sauce was carved up though, because based on the pee strip test I am almost out of ketosis.

Presuming the weight reading is artificially low because I was dehydrated. Brace for impact tomorrow!

Ride The Lightning

GP

Name
    Storm Veritas
    Race
    Human
    Day 7 - (April 8)
    Weight - 186.7 lbs

I was stunned to see my weight stall at the exact same weight to the tenth, but will happily accept this. I had myself a GIGANTIC salad for dinner, and a couple of whiskeys. Without getting too graphic, within about 6 hours from weigh-in I'm fairly certain I was back down well below the morning weight.

Side note: without glucose/glycogen for your body to use to metabolize alcohol, you get drunk FAST. Halfway into my second Jameson and I was feeling a very strong buzz. Kind of awesome, if we're being honest. Something to watch out for, though. I'd say for Americans if you're usually good to drive after 3 drinks, you absolutely have to stop after 2, and would be wiser to stop after 1.

Feeling very tired today, but I'm guessing it's just early mornings and long days. Diet is definitely working.