EXP required for next Level: 14,892

GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Telgradian

View Profile

So.

I need some help. I have completely and utterly hit a literary brick wall.

Work shifts have been a bit more sensible over the last week or so, ranging from 7am and 8am starts to 5pm and 6pm finishes, but with my daughter being ill and the ludicrious deadlines at work looming over me like some thundercloud of pure fuck, I can't concentrate on anything. I even ran a red light before and I am a careful guy usually on the road.

I have literally sat down on five seperate occasions tonight to post for Storm in the Gisela and nothing is coming out that I don't absolutely despise to my very core. I am churning out utter shit, and honestly its quite demoralizing because I know I am better than that. So, I tried a warm up post in Children of the Sun. Fifteen minutes later I'm staring hopelessly at a blank word document.

Does anyone, ANYONE at all, have any suggestions? Any techniques for clearing the mind (like emigrating to another country or becoming invisible?)
    Last edited by Shinsou Vaan Osiris; 04-09-2018 at 07:29 PM.

Ride The Lightning

EXP: 166,794, Level: 17
    Level completed: 83%, EXP required for next Level: 3,206
    Level completed: 83%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,206

GP

Name
    Storm Veritas
    Race
    Human
    🥃

Shattered heart and Soul

EXP: 76,735, Level: 11
    Level completed: 98%, EXP required for next Level: 265
    Level completed: 98%,
    EXP required for next Level: 265

GP

Name
    Amari L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel

View Profile
    To rest and stop being so hard on yourself. Write for the enjoyment of writing not for some ridiculous high standard you set yourself. Just enjoy it.

EXP: 8,121, Level: 3
    Level completed: 79%, EXP required for next Level: 879
    Level completed: 79%,
    EXP required for next Level: 879

GP

Name
    Yvonne Mythrilmantle
    Race
    Grey Dwarf

View Profile
    There are multiple methods that you can try to utilize to clear your mind. It's important to realize that no matter how chaotic your life may be that you are in control of your mind and what you are thinking at any given time.

Distraction is a powerful tool if you can harness it for yourself, instead of feeling like you're at the mercy of distractions. When you realize you're thinking about something you don't want to think about, either look for something else to focus on, or deliberately focus on something you do and keep thinking about that.

Suppression is more useful for erasing your mind of memories and traumatic experiences that you wished never happened. Don't like a thought? Disregard it. It's like dragging and dropping a file into your computer's recycle bin. You don't need to think about it. Forget it. Do this enough times without thinking about something and you will forget about it.

Substitution can be particularly useful for putting yourself in the frame of mind to write. By replacing your thoughts and allowing your imagination some time to take over, you can swap what you're experiencing for something else. Close your eyes and imagine yourself as your character, in another time and place, doing entirely different things. Just be careful not to bump into walls or pointy objects...

Meditation is, in my opinion, the most effective practice for the long run. It requires taking seriously, but given a chance, will have some rather radical benefits on your brain. Look into it, gain an understanding of how to properly meditate, and do it. Doesn't take long. 5 minutes each day. Be consistant with it and you'll see. Meditation is buddhist monk magic for clearing your mind of unwanted thoughts.
    So I’m cutting that branch off the cherry tree.
    Singing this will be my victory.
    Then I, I see them coming after me.
    And they’re following me across the sea.
    And now they’re stinging my friends and my family.
    And I, I don’t know why this is happening.
    ~ Thrice, Black Honey.

Legend

EXP: 127,650, Level: 15
    Level completed: 55%, EXP required for next Level: 7,350
    Level completed: 55%,
    EXP required for next Level: 7,350

GP

Name
    Philomel van der Aart (+ Veridian)
    Race
    Faun (+ Fox/Earth Spirit)

View Profile
    One method is to have a chat with me, come up to Glasgow go hang out that'll work right?

All that Yvonne said is excellent advice in terms of mindfulness and being kind to yourself. Relax, try to get things off your mind, do things a little differently. If you need to take days off, then do that.
    *admin at your service*

Matriarch of the Gilded Lily and of its brothels, associated establishments and the army.

Characters:
    The family triplet: Philomel, Vaeron and Celandine.
    The god and kenku triplet: Stare, Avin and Vixen.
    The Primordials: Professor Charles and Moros.

Administrator

EXP: 87,404, Level: 12
    Level completed: 81%, EXP required for next Level: 2,596
    Level completed: 81%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,596

GP

Name
    Lichensith Ulroke
    Race
    Human
    Beer.

upon the cheek of night

EXP: 224,444, Level: 20
    Level completed: 0%, EXP required for next Level: 0
    Level completed: 0%,
    EXP required for next Level: 0

GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod
    My methods for dealing with writer's block typically fall into two categories; work through it, or work around it. The first method involves staying focused on your main goal. If you have a deadline that you need to meet for a specific piece, then get it done. Accept that your "best work" is equivalent to the best work you can do right now, and just write it. Not everything is always going to feel like it's your best, and sometimes other people will love the stuff that you consider sub-par.

If you're not on a deadline or the above method just won't work for you, you can also work through it by doing some planning. I personally find that even when I can't summon the will to write, I can usually work on the plot outline. Doing so may inspire you to write, but at the very least it will give you ideas to work with when you do find the energy to write. If that doesn't work for you, try writing or plotting a different story, or even just doing some brainstorming for general ideas. To me writer's block usually amounts to a lack of inspiration, so basically you want to find a way to get inspired about the piece you're working on.

If none of the above seems to help, that's when I turn to working around the problem. This generally involves doing things other than writing in order to refresh your mind. Put some time into playing piano (for me it's guitar), for example, or just go for a walk and let your mind wander. When I'm really struggling with writer's block I will usually go for a walk, and while I'm walking I'll decide on a project to work on. When I get home from my walk I sit down in front of the computer and force myself to write SOMETHING. Even if it's 500 words of crap in a silly story I don't care about, getting words out is a step towards getting GOOD words out, so I'll take it.

Overall it does sound like you're being really hard on yourself. One thing you might try is writing a thread (perhaps a quick solo) in which you just focus on getting the words out, not on how good they are. You could then have it judged or submit it to the workshop, and you'll probably be surprised by how positive the feedback will be despite the fact it's "not your best". As a professional writer I almost never have the luxury of making sure my writing is my "best" because there's always another project to move on to. You're a good writer, so anything you write will probably at least be decent by virtue of the fact that you wrote it. Lean into that and focus on getting something done rather than worrying about the quality. You may be surprised by the results.
    "The breeze did not stir. The stars did not twinkle. The trees did not sway and the brook did not babble.
    For the world did not turn when Am'aleh wept, and a tear had tumbled down her cheek."

Viator Mundi

EXP: 155,108, Level: 17
    Level completed: 18%, EXP required for next Level: 14,892
    Level completed: 18%,

GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Telgradian

View Profile
    Thanks guys. Going to try a few of these suggestions and see if I can come up with something.

GP

Name
    Cydney Oliver
    Stop trying to write the next Patrick Rothus novel and write something, anything!

Viator Mundi

EXP: 155,108, Level: 17
    Level completed: 18%, EXP required for next Level: 14,892
    Level completed: 18%,

GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Telgradian

View Profile
    Fair play, Cyd.

To try and shake off some of the rust, I opted for a style change. I seldom write in the first person, but I am attempting it in Count to Zero, so we'll see what that brings.

Feels a bit odd but in the long run I think it will probably pay dividends.

WE. SHALL. SEE.