EXP required for next Level: 3,950

GP

Name
    Lilly Svalesin
    Race
    Dark Elf

View Profile

Mine Folly

Note, anyone who wishes to can join in on this one. Most of this “adventure” will unfold inside of the Graceful Bark inn. If no one joins in the next 48-72 hours I’ll probably finish this out solo.

Hushed voices whisper the tale of an aspiring necromancer who travelled to Scara Brae in search of a staff that reportedly conjured the dead. This staff was affixed with a jet-black gemstone which repressed all hope near it. The gem would suck in light to a vortex at its center giving it an unnaturally dark appearance even on the brightest of summer days. The young necromancer hid the staff in a tomb within an abandoned mine shaft. The rumors seemed to have arisen from Graceful Bark an inn and tavern in Stonevale.

Mine Folly

“Y’know missy, it’s a fool’s errand,” a short overweight man spoke, “I transported the ‘necromancer’ they’s been talking about a few weeks ago and he said he was coming here for a business opportunity. I’ve explored all over Scara Brae and there ain’t no black gemstone staff of death.”

The sea was calm and Lilthis could feel the breeze on her face. Her voyage on the ferrying ship called The Interloper had been mostly uneventful. The ship was spacious enough, especially for its economical cost, and the captain had been most accommodating. Captain Julian had even allowed Lilly to read over some of his maps of the areas surrounding Stonevale and the island of Scara Brae. As the waves chopped against the rough wood of the ship Lilly rolled her eyes and looked away from the map she was studying to reply to the captain.

“This is the ninth time you’ve told me this. Rumors like this are not simply made up, there must be at least some degree of truth behind it.” Lilly looked back down at her map, trying to better assess the area near Stonevale. She smiled and looked back at the captain claiming, “Besides, life isn’t fun if you can’t be a fool from time to time,” she said coyly. Lilly had gotten comfortable enough around the captain to lower her guard a bit.

The captain grimaced at Lilly and rubbed the scruffy hairs on his chin. He raised an eyebrow and opened his mouth before closing it and re-thinking his words. He gazed out at the sea and then back to the young dark elf questioningly, “you’re pretty smart for someone who knows so little about the world, huh?”

Lilly’s face turned red as she was unsure if she should be offended or embarrassed. She quickly snapped back, “What is that supposed to mean? I’ve travelled all across Alerar and southern Raiaera! I’m quite well travelled and versed in this world.” Aware he struck a nerve the captain quickly replied back, “I didn’t mean to offend ya. Just sayin that these kinds of rumors start from a young whippersnapper who wants to make a name for himself and get spread like wildfire by bored townsfolk across the far reaches of Althanas.” The captain perked up and stared out at the impending docks. He began to tie the sail of The Interloper’s mast before turning back to the young elf and stating, “we’ll be landing soon, best to gather your stuff and prepare to disembark.”

Lilly departed the ship and said goodbye to the friendly captain. As she was leaving the captain reminded her that she was wasting her time adding, “I run this route twice a week, I’ll be here in a few days when you need to sail back to the mainland.” Lilly frowned and kept walking, trying to ignore Captain Julian’s unwarranted advice. Lilly did not like sailing but she especially did not like when people thought they knew better than she did. She knew a story like the one of this staff was too big to simply be a farce.

As she entered the town of Stonevale Lilly realized that she knew very little of the surrounding area despite studying the captain’s maps. She knew that the rumored mine was southwest of the town but was unsure what dangers could present themselves along the way. In fact, one of the reasons she had chosen this venture was her first one alone was due to it involving an unskilled necromancer going after the staff. Lilly surmised that if he could hunt down the staff by himself it should be a breeze for someone of her talent and intellect.

Among the numerous miners and merchants, she passed in the town square she noticed a lot of rugged individuals gathered in a corner of the square chatting and passing around a bottle of whiskey. She approached the group hurriedly assuming they must be adventurers who had found the staff already.

The group was obviously other rookie explorers looking for an easy haul. Panic beset her as she feared that she was too late to discover and study the artifact for herself. As she grew near she heard one of the adventurer’s state, “Oi, I spent ‘round three hours in tat mine an’ I found nothin’ but a pile o’rocks and sum stupid carvins in da stone!”

One adventuring orc stood out taller than the rest of the group in dulled steel armor with a giant polished double-sided axe strapped to his back. He gruffed out at the group, “waste of time, foolish legend.” Timidly Lilly got closer to the group before speaking up, “Um… excuse me… is the path to the mine dangerous by chance?” An adventuring dwarf in studded leather armor turned around to face Lilly, he looked her up and down before stating, “Elf girl, you’ve come to a bust. This whole thing is a prank. The mine is collapsed in and someone carved some markings into the stone heap that look like the lowest effort excuse of magic I’ve ever seen. Go back to where you came from because this place is a waste of your time.”

As the group started to disperse Lilly spoke to the dwarf once more, “I think I’d still like to see the mine for myself. Can you tell me if the journey there is dangerous?” The dwarf looked slightly irritated but he took off his leather cap and told the girl, “Look, I knew before I even got to the mine that this was a hoax. There’s a dirt path near the southwest gate that leads directly to the mine. The locals say it used to be a salt mine. Do yourself a favor and head to the Graceful Bark inn, grab a beer and catch the next ship back to the mainland.”

While she did not want to admit it right there, Lilly was beginning to get worried. Had she travelled all this way only to have to catch The Interloper on its return journey to the mainland? She brushed these thoughts aside and reminded herself why she had come all this way. “I am going to enter this mine and find the staff,” she said to herself. However, the dwarf was right about one thing… Lilly wanted to go grab a drink at the inn and rest for awhile after her journey.

Upon entering the inn Lilly immediately could tell there were two main groups of people. The tables and bar seats nearest the door were primarily occupied by other explorers and traders. Further from the entrance sat miners and locals who lived and worked in Stonevale. They were quieter and seemed to be trying to relax from a long day. A lot of them glanced over at Lilly with disapproving gestures.

On the ceiling of the Inn was a giant dark ironcast chandelier with five arms that extended out about three feet from the massive base of the chandelier. The edge of the five chandelier arms had a latch the housed a torch whose flame was already lit. Although it was only sundown Lilly decided that the flames would likely keep the bustling lounge of the Inn well lit throughout the night. This would be a good place to get more information about the staff she was seeking.

Lilly was amazed at the vastly different races she beheld seated throughout the inn. In her entire life she had primarily only been exposed to other Aleran elves occasionally crossing paths with an old elf or human from time to time. In this inn's bar she saw orcs, a group that looked like giant rodents, dwarves, humans, and hardly any elves at all. Lilly almost felt out of place and was a bit nervous by the array of people here. She approached the bar and meekly said, “Hello ma’am, might I have an ale please?"

The bar maid wore a dirty blue and white checkered dress with a tan apron on the front. Her hair was tied back and she wore a bright yellow scarf tied over her head. The human bar maiden grabbed a pint glass before pouring a stream of beer into the glass at an angle, creating a half inch of foam at the top of the glass. She plopped the drink down in front of Lilly before looking the young elf up and down stating, “you aren’t from around here. Did you come following that foolish story?”

Lilly’s face scrunched up with annoyance. It seemed everyone thought the story had no merit behind it but she was unwilling to accept that she had wasted her time coming to this town. She grasp the glass and took a sip of the ale before telling the bar maid, “I make a habit of chasing foolish stories. Do you know anything about the staff everyone is talking about?”

The bar maid let out a chuckle and quickly snapped back, “there is no staff. I met the so-called necromancer and he’s nothing more than a showman. Using cheap parlor tricks to impress the children and going on about some ancient staff that was hidden inside of a salt mine.” The maid wiped her hands on the apron and chuckled again before telling another patron, “be with you in one moment.” She turned her attention back to Lilly and imparted upon her, “that whole story was created by that conman and then propagated by a bunch of folks around this very inn to drum up business. Don’t waste your time on this foolishness.”

Lilly scratched at her right ear before replying, “What makes you think the necromancer wasn’t genuine? What did he look like?” The bar maid quickly replied, “He was a darkie elf, like you. And he wore some cheap robes and talked a big game. I saw him come in here and chat with the owner before he went out and preached about his staff in the town center.” And with that the bar maid began helping other customers.

Lilly took her glass and found a seat at a small empty table. She was beginning to get a bit hungry having only eaten a small piece of dried meat the captain of The Interloper had offered her on board. She closed her eyes and took another drink of her beer ignoring the hunger. Lilly began to question herself knowing from the various stories she was told that the staff almost certainly wasn’t going to be waiting for her in the mine. Unwilling to admit this she hoped that maybe she could convince someone else to accompany her on the journey.

It’d be best to proceed down to the mine during daylight. The night presented too many potential dangers and it may be hard to spot a mine. However, as this was Lilly’s first time exploring a locale without the assistance of her old bodyguard or the caravan of wizards she felt uneasy about her chances against creatures or bandits that could be lurking about. Not to mention whatever terrors could await her within the mine.

EXP: 8,121, Level: 3
    Level completed: 79%, EXP required for next Level: 879
    Level completed: 79%,
    EXP required for next Level: 879

GP

Name
    Yvonne Mythrilmantle
    Race
    Grey Dwarf

View Profile
    Sunrays beamed through the split of almost-closed curtains, illuminating a room kept dim, brightening wooden floorboards and banishing shadows to darker corners. The sun was setting for the day, its warm glow intense before fading into the black of night. The intensity stirred a napping woman from her slumber, her black eyelids barely slitting open a hair's breadth. Mm, nope. She turned away from the light source, bringing the blanket with her shoulder, burying half of her face in the yielding pillow.

The dozing woman stole another minute of rest. There was nothing for it though - she was awake and, try as she might to pretend it wasn't the case, her dream-state was a memory. The dream was approaching a good part and its loss left her mildly frustrated. Thinking about it wasn't going to bring it back into her mind's fold. She flung the blanket from herself, a slight chill quickly creeping into her ebony skin.

Yvonne's subtle feet pressed to the warming floorboards once she'd slid off the bed's edge, scantily clothed - little more than a negligee to shroud her curves. She slipped free of it, the immaterial material spilling into a creased circle around her ankles.

A dainty woman, dwarven height with redeeming dark elven features - though she had a different opinion - pulled over a black dress which cut above the knee and pulled up stockings that reached her thighs. She stepped into heeled boots and began the rigorous preparation of fastening a white corset about her middle, with its many straps - to give her darkness some contrast and naturally to appear thinner than she was. Tucking the last strap into its buckle and tugging it tightly, the hybrid collected a small coin pouch and placed it between her breasts, stepping out of her rented room at the Graceful Bark inn.

Yvonne walked down the stairs from the upper level, still groggy, passing a table of giant rodents (with whom she was on good terms). The half-dwarf was careful to avoid surprising them with her greeting - they could be very jumpy - Yvonne herself making some very ratty sniffs. They each sniffed the air near her also, acquiring her scent and essentially greeting her in return. Moving on she was about to tend to her bed hair, a messy ponytail with plenty of stray black hairs about the right side when she noticed.

The realization stopped her dead in her tracks.

There was a dark elf here in the inn. They were a young adult as she was, a woman, here. Here in Stonevale? That not be possible. Well, anything be possible, but it be unlikely at best. She can't be here. What she be doing here? I've been enjoying me time being free from their scrutiny. Was the pureblood on some kind of mission to bring her back home? Was someone from her homeland looking to get in contact with her and had sent a messenger? Had something happened to her mother? What was going on?

Yvonne retraced a few of her steps, hesitation drawing her away from this situation. Mayhap she should return to her room, crawl back under the covers and wait until the starkly white-haired Aleran had gone from this place. That way she could go on spending her quiet time in this quiet village, playing with those darling children at the local orphanage and taking pleasure in the companionship of a minstrel she'd bumped into.

The drow-dwarf mongrel had turned away entirely, closing her silver eyes in consternation. She was filled with dread and dismay, feelings she'd learned to clear aside like a sweeping backhand clearing a table of cups, cutlery and plates. What be ye doing? This, this not be ye. Yer so much braver than this. Get over there and at least speak ta tha poor lass. She came a long way ta be here. Ye could be overthinking things.

Yvonne faced her fear. She quietly walked over to the dark elf's table, situating herself in the chair opposite her like she owned the place. The hybrid rested her left forearm upon the table, drumming her fingertips once - her right elbow and palm propping up her chin. Her glinting silver eyes looked into those eyes of faded blue, giving her the most convincing amiable smile she could feign.

"Yer a long way from our home, dear," Yvonne began, choosing intimate words. "What brings ye ta these distant shores? ... It not be anything ta do with me, I presume?"
    Last edited by Yvonne; 05-02-2018 at 09:45 AM.
    So I’m cutting that branch off the cherry tree.
    Singing this will be my victory.
    Then I, I see them coming after me.
    And they’re following me across the sea.
    And now they’re stinging my friends and my family.
    And I, I don’t know why this is happening.
    ~ Thrice, Black Honey.

Althanian

EXP: 5,050, Level: 3
    Level completed: 2%, EXP required for next Level: 3,950
    Level completed: 2%,

GP

Name
    Lilly Svalesin
    Race
    Dark Elf

View Profile
    Hunger. The concept was well known. It’s far more interesting to work on a new watch, gently placing breadcrumb sized gears into position in a perfect sequence to form a unique work of art. If you weren’t going to be tinkering with something then reading about Aleran history, manuscripts detailing the inner workings of locomotive engines, or the phenomenon of magic proved far more interesting than food. In the past there was plenty of food at the estate or Faellint would insist she take a break to eat.

“A proper lady never says she is hungry,” her mother used to say. Such a stupid thing to say. Where is this council of ladies who decided what is and is not ‘proper.’ Being hungry is a natural reaction to malnourishment that any living thing feels. Rules like this infuriated Lilthis, these rules surrounding interaction between people seemed arbitrary and irrelevant. Growing up she always longed to be able to speak her mind, to speak directly and connect with those she interacted with on a deeper level than the norms noble society dictated to her.

Yet here she was, twirling her finger on the edge of her glass while rubbing the thumb of her gauntlet against the base of her frosty mug. Debating with herself how she ‘ought’ to act. Years of social conditioning were difficult to overcome and though she had told herself continuously that she was done with noble society the rules of it still haunted her every action.

Lilly hadn’t noticed her yet, distracted by her own thoughts, but as the short Aleran passed a group of creatures that looked like the farm mice from back home Lilly perked up. The elf looked like her growth had been stunted, being far shorter than any other Aleran Lilly had spent time with. Lilly’s mind raced with thoughts as she wondered if she was a dark elf at all. No, there was no mistaking it, this person most certainly was a fellow elf. Lilthis considered that perhaps this poor soul was born with a genetic disorder or maybe she had an accident that caused her to stop growing.

Lilly’s internal conflict was abruptly halted as this intruder sat down. Lilly was slouching a bit in her chair but she instantly straightened out her back and looked this fellow Aleran directly in the eyes. The words spoken next were heard but not immediately understood as Lilthis was disoriented with her own swirling thoughts. Once the newcomer was finished speaking and it was appropriate for Lilly to enter a response she simply blurted out,

”I’m hungry.”

...this was probably not the time to try and speak her mind. The words uttered by the short elf were starting to be processed in Lilly’s head. “I’m hungry,” was not an adequate response. Embarrassed, Lilly tried to compose herself and began to fiddle with the watch on her gauntlet.

“Um, excuse me! I didn’t mean to say uh.. I wasn’t really thinking very clearly. I mean... “ This was not going well. It was the first time in awhile that Lilthis was in the company of her own kind and she was making a fool of herself. Taking in a deep breath she glanced down at the scratched wooden table and then back towards her visitor, “I am not certain I know who you are. Nor do I believe we’ve ever met?”

Realizing she had only answered half of her question Lilly stopped messing with her watch and laid her right hand flat onto the table before taking a quick sip of her drink. “Sorry again, I came to find the staff everyone is talking about.”

Lilly was just as intimidated by her visitor as she was at her inability to compose coherent sentences.

GP

Name
    Yvonne Mythrilmantle
    Race
    Grey Dwarf

View Profile
    Yvonne blinked once, breaking into a fit of giggles. Blunt and to the point. She loved it when the people around her found it within themselves to be so honest. The giggling drow-dwarf waved down the dark elven stranger's embarrassed cover up with a carefree hand, finding it a bit difficult to regain her composure.

Swiftest favour I've ever been owed. I wonder if this one realizes how quickly she gives away her power. Unusual for a sel darthirii ta speak so weakly.

"Let's go with our gut feeling, sweetheart," Yvonne suggested, considering how to properly introduce herself for the moment. She smirked and turned to her side, cupping her hands around her mouth with a cone-shaped gesture.

"DOROTHY, DARLING!?" For a tiny woman she could muster a huge voice when she wanted to. The booming summons easily snatched the barmaid's attention while causing the apron-adorned blonde to perk up happily, perhaps at Yvonne's complimentary choice of words. The two of them were obviously well acquainted and had a little history, what with Yvonne helping her tend the bar during the busy nights. They were practically comrades-in-arms, if mug-rags could be considered arms.

"How might I help, Yvy?" Dorothy inquired cheerfully.

"Our new friend here be absolutely famished. I wouldn't mind a bite ta eat either, dear. Would ye be so kind as ta make us something special? Put some love into it? Something nice, a little spice, yer creative licence," Yvonne requested, her silver eyes taking on a dreamy haze momentarily before refocusing on Dorothy. "I'll make it worth yer while," she promised.

The barmaid gave the little person a long nod, even the hint of a bow to her shoulders, turning and hurrying off to the kitchen faster than Lilly had witnessed her move before. There had to be a story there, for the hybrid to receive such respect when the dark elf had only been met with a dismissive manner. It was a tale Yvonne wasn't telling - her satisfied smile was the one reveal she gave in place of an explanation.

Either a convincing liar or truly she not be here for me. A coincidence she and I be here a world away from Alerar, nothing more. Her innocence wafts from her - the embarrassment genuine, her watch-tweaking and fidgeting signs of avoidance. I'd bet all me gold she be no threat ta me. That necromantic staff on the other hand...

"Be yerself with me dear. Tha pretend ye be awkward, like wearing clothes that don't fit ye," Yvonne recommended. "We'll become fast friends if ye just be ye."

The diminutive drow tapped her cheekbone with a forefinger, from the hand supporting her chin, considering and thoughtful. She allowed a while of silence to sink in, her silver eyes studying the pureblood, how those hands always needed a task - lifting the ale to her black lips. This one didn't add up. Not at all. There was a lie in there somewhere and Yvonne was going to pluck it out, as soon as she could tweezer it with her fingers.

"Yer not a necromancer. Yer a tinkerer, " the charismatic mixed breed asserted.
    Last edited by Yvonne; 05-03-2018 at 05:16 PM.
    ~ Thrice, Black Honey.

Althanian

GP

Name
    Lilly Svalesin
    Race
    Dark Elf

View Profile

The floodgates of embarrassment burst open and overwhelmed Lilthis as the petite Yvonne burst into laughter. While Lilly understood the oddity of her primal outburst she was not accustomed to being laughed at. She had been nothing but kind to this woman and she was rewarded with mockery. To make matters worse this small elf was now calling a friend over, no doubt to join in on the ridicule. Lilthis debated speaking up but decided against it. Who did this unsophisticated common born living in a backwater mining town think she was? The insults raging through Lilly’s head were halted when she reminded herself to remain calm.

“I’m in a strange place, with strange folk, I cannot make a scene,” she thought. “I can’t be blinded by embarrassment and rage, distract yourself.”

Lilly’s mind would normally drift to chemical reactions or she’d run through the steps to assemble or dissemble a piece of machinery when she wanted to control her emotions. To her surprise this would not be necessary as her short visitor had ceased her laughter and was asking the bar maid to bring some food for the two of them. The maid reacted quickly and Lilthis understood that locals must get better service at this establishment than tourists. Lilly released her glass and moved her left hand near her face so that she could brush her white hair behind her pointed ear before she uttered a simple,

“Thank you.”

A rush of warmth flowed through Lilly to wash the stench of embarrassment away. It was the feeling of sheer joy that now consumed her. In this shoddy inn Lilly’s blundered words had somehow etched out a gesture of kindness from this stranger. Unable to contain her happiness the corners of her mouth hugged and curled upwards to form a smile.

Yvonne continued speaking in her strange accent. It had been awkward living outside of highborn life. She had nineteen years of experience in regulations that went along with conversing around the sel darthirii elite. When she wasn’t being forced to interact with other highborn she was in classes or tinkering with a new device. Talking did not come naturally to Lilly but the small elf was shrewd enough to realize that Lilly had been uncharacteristically bad just now.

“This little one is clever. Choose your words carefully Lil,” she thought to herself as she contemplated her next action.

Lilly’s right hand grasp the sleeve around her elbow before wrapping inside of the fabric to touch bare flesh. Lilly’s pale eyes darted to face Yvonne before flashing back to the bar maid who was almost out of sight at this point. The dark elf took a second to breath and then re-focused her attention on her kind guest.

“I am a tinkerer. Or an inventor. Whichever you’d prefer. In the last few years I’ve been traveling, mostly around southern Raiaera.” At this Lilthis paused. She knew it was dangerous to reveal too much. Just seven or eight months back the cartels of Alerar claimed to have captured and executed Lilthis Shadefell. She couldn’t blame them, it’s hard to prove you aren’t dead when you haven’t set foot in Alerar for the better part of three years.

Lilthis took a large gulp from her drink and stared directly into Yvonne’s eyes. “I quite like traveling, it really broadens your horizons and serves as inspiration to help me invent.” Lilly broke eye contact before deciding that she would benefit from a change of subject. “What brings you to these parts? We both really are a long way from home. Is no one from back home worrying about you?”

Lilly’s words were spoken with genuine concern behind them but her left hand was nervously drawing circles on her knee underneath the table.

GP

Name
    Yvonne Mythrilmantle
    Race
    Grey Dwarf

View Profile
    The crimson tinge of embarrassment faded from the tinkerer's beautiful face because nothing would overwhelm the black of her skin, grimmer even than Yvonne's own. The grey dwarf's laughter had been less about ridicule, more about praise actually yet laughter could be interpreted in all sorts of ways. How ironic, that Yvonne's giggling would convey the opposite to what she wanted to express.

I think I may have struck a nerve there. What does that tell me? This one doesn't like talking ta strangers? Did she come for peace and quiet? Would she rather be left alone with her thoughts? She be easily offended?

Yvonne caught the precise moment, on the dark elven treasure-seeker's face, when she suppressed her rage. Try as we might to mask these emotions they reveal clues of their existence on their own. Anger was foretold through a clenched jaw, along a crinkled forehead, in the narrowing of slanted eyes. The vanishing of these clues told a great deal as well. When the face was wiped blank there were only so many reasons behind it, a change of mind, a loss of interest or reining in emotions like a cantering horse reduced to a walk.

Her self-control be admirable. She be one up on me friend Felicity there.

The hybrid spared her old companion a stray thought, wondering where the red-headed berserker would be at this point in time. They'd gone their separate ways many months ago, but hopefully she was still getting by. Felicity was quite ill, all things considered however she was receiving treatment for her rage-induced sickness. The berserker's was a fate this tinkerer would never find herself experiencing, far more level-headed.

Yvonne remained deliberately silent yet very, very attentive, nodding in appropriate places, raising the odd eyebrow - her silver eyes absorbing every available detail of this curious individual. It was another clever trick during social situations. By remaining silent and ensuring the one conversing with you knew their words weren't going to waste, it was simple to prompt more and more information out of them. The charismatic mongrel was attempting to pry deeper into the mention of southern Raiaera - with a masterful expression of questioning - but there was the stranger's self-control coming to the fore again.

She obviously wouldn't like ta talk about that particular topic. Raiaera be a difficult subject ta discuss between dark elves, certainly. Perhaps I might ease me way into that snake pit later. A few personal details about me ought ta loosen her lips. Tha free flow of information, tha fair trade.

"Ma would be worried about me. She'd be busy keeping herself busy ta distract from all tha worrying she'd be doing, bless her," Yvonne imparted, smiling fondly. "That said she also encouraged me ta leave Kachuck. Alerar be an inflexible place ta grow up in some respects, if yer not a pureblood. Dark elves don't look kindly on curs..."

Yvonne put two and two together. She whispered the rest of her sentence, keeping her voice low and her head down.

"...and neither would they be pleased ye were getting yerself into magic-mischief. That must be it. Yer running from them, ye be," Yvonne decided, confident she was right. By pretending she was certain she might be able to compel the truth out of her.
    Last edited by Yvonne; 05-04-2018 at 08:25 AM.
    ~ Thrice, Black Honey.

Althanian

GP

Name
    Lilly Svalesin
    Race
    Dark Elf

View Profile

At the mention of Yvonne’s mother sympathy enveloped Lilthis’ face as her shoulders relaxed and her eyes drooped to visibly translate the expression to her guest. Lilly very much missed her own mother and her mind was transported to fond memories of slicing apples or learning to fold birds from paper. Did her mother know if her only daughter was still alive or did she -

Kachuck?

That explains it. She’s part dwarf. The sympathetic gesture spilled over as the dark elf’s chin tightened and her mouth opened to wish the poor girl well. Lilly was all too familiar with the racism that persisted in her society. Though not proud of it, there was a piece of her that still clung onto the belief that the sel darthirii were superior to the other races. It’s difficult to break a lifetime of indoctrination especially once you’ve beheld the ingenuity of dark elven technology. But she was far more empathetic than most other dark elves and realizing the truth of this poor mixed blood’s heritage spawned genuine sorrow deep within Lilthis.

Her fidgeting paused as the half elf leaned in and lowered her voice. Blood pumped rapidly as Lilly’s heart rate accelerated. For a brief second the flow of time ceased as she contemplated the worst. Is this half elf with the criminal element of Alerar? Should I run? Does she have accomplices with her? The words that came next synced time, and Lilly’s heart, back into their proper pace. Relieved of her paranoid worries she reasoned that she could work with the cover given to her, should be easy enough since the dwarf-elf seemed convinced already.

Sprinkle a few truths in with your lies, she reminded herself.

Lilthis had many strengths but deception was very much missing from her repertoire. The young dark elf lowered herself to the shorter elf’s level, putting on her most convincing face and whispering, “Yes, I’ve been studying the history of magic. It’s an interest of mine,” she murmured while leaning in a bit closer. She glanced to her left and waited for a local miner to pass out of earshot before continuing, “some of my kin in Alerar do not think this pursuit to be appropriate, they’ve made it very clear that they intend to see me dead.” Her trembling lips communicated the reality of her fears.

Partial truths were a bit easier to spread as it offered her a modicum of individuality in a life she’d come to loathe. Never able to return home. Never staying in one place for too long. Never trusting anyone. The constant spectre of loneliness was beginning to wear on Lilthis and any chance to converse with someone utterly intoxicated her. Especially someone who was as gracious of a listener as the mixed race before her.

Fear quickly turned to merriment as jubilance permeated Lilly’s demeanor while she rose back up in her chair. Her right hand resumed toying with the exposed mesh of gears on her gauntlet. Joyously the young elf said, “Kachuck huh? So you’re part dwarf? I cannot imagine how poorly my brethren must’ve... “ Not wanting to dwell on it the inventor quickly course corrected, “I grew up in Belthius, it’s a farm town in northern Alerar.” She had never been to Belthius, few had due to its remote location. It made for a convenient hometown.

The next lie came comfortably. It had been rehearsed and performed hundreds of times now, “I’m Lillian Svalesin, you can call me Lilly if you wish. Nice to meet you,” she conveyed with a beaming smile.

GP

Name
    Yvonne Mythrilmantle
    Race
    Grey Dwarf

View Profile
    Yvonne's heart began to race and her pulse increased its beat-count per minute. A trickle of sweat slid down the curvature from her temple to cheekbone to chin. This dark elf sitting in front of her had some serious moxie, admitting her interest in the history of magic and at the same time confirming she was attempting to delve into forbidden secrets of necromancy. The grey dwarf made an involuntary gasp on her next breath inward, her fear rising in her heart-pounding chest, no matter how she tried to appear brave and curious.

"I be unsure whether this pursuit be appropriate meself," Yvonne stated in a scolding manner. "If yer kin don't see ye dead ye may well find running headlong toward death magic ta result tha same way!" Her hushed voice slowly rose in volume until her quiet outburst disturbed the table nearest them, the other patrons looking their way with suspicion, squinting eyes hovering above the ale mugs they were drinking from.

The half dwarf sat up straight in her chair, looking down her nose at them as best she could, making a gesture at them to turn around and go back ta yer mugs, prying humans. This conversation doesn't concern ye or yer orcish brute.

"Mayhap ye should return ta yer wee farmhouse in Belthius. Yer likely ta have better odds of survival confronting yer kin, I'd wager," Yvonne riposted. "At least find a new home in a bustling city, perhaps tha multi-cultural Radasanth would provide good cover amongst its diverse peoples. Ye could hit tha road and travel far from here. They'll never find ye in Eiskalt or Fallien," she proposed, offering the dark elf an array of opportunities which would potentially keep her alive.

Though from the look in her pale blue eyes and the uneasy feeling in Yvonne's stomach, she knew, she knew it wasn't going to be that easy. This one was one of those curious ones, one of those walk tha path less travelled types. Like a moth to the flame. She sighed a heavy, discontented sigh, shaking her head and tsking her tongue. She closed her silver eyes and rubbed her eyelids with both hands, shoulders deflating.

"Here we go again," Yvonne dramatized. "Why can't I have a quiet evening inside and keep out of trouble for once?" The hybrid scoffed at the thought of a quiet evening, rolling her eyes and finally dumping her chin back into her cradling right hand, her elbow still rested upon the table top.

"Indeed, dear. Yvonne Mythrilmantle, mayhap tha only half-dwarf, half-drow yer likely ta ever meet," she supposed, tooting her own trumpet a little bit, because nobody else would. "Well, if yer dead set on clearing up that rumour we might as well get it over with, after dinner. I don't know how tired ye are, but I've had me nap and I find me way a whole lot better when it be dark out."
    Last edited by Yvonne; 05-07-2018 at 12:38 AM.
    ~ Thrice, Black Honey.

Althanian

GP

Name
    Lilly Svalesin
    Race
    Dark Elf

View Profile

Been spending too much time with mages these last few years. I forgot how superstitious people could be.

Lilthis could see the visible gestures of fear on her acquaintance’s face, reminding her that perhaps Lilly was not scared enough. This would be the first time she undertook an endeavor like this without the support of someone capable of keeping her safe. The arrogant girl was ill-suited to defend anyone, including herself. But she had never been able to study necromancy, she was not about to pass this opportunity up.

Disappointingly she listened to Yvonne’s scolding. The half elf’s glare at the table of curious humans was particularly amusing. But as the shorter elf droned on about Lilly’s ‘options’ she started to lose interest. It was nice to have someone to speak with, someone to eat with. The pureblooded dark elf knew it was a long shot to also find someone willing to accompany her on this errand.

Then the curious mixed elf gestured her surrender before speaking it. Overjoyed, small indents formed on Lilthis’ cheeks as a wide smile consumed her face. Her eyes radiating with satisfaction. She had initially planned on waiting for daybreak but this short elf was willing to go tonight! Not wanting to risk a change of heart the ecstatic dark elf nodded in agreement.

“Certainly! We can go right now if you want! Thank you! It’s much nicer to travel in the company of others right?,” her enthusiasm bursting at the seams. Calm down, you’re gonna scare her off Lil. Lilly placed one hand on her cheek then followed with, “I mean, of course. We should wait to eat first. You’re not going to change your mind right? We’ll be fine, don’t worry.” The tinkerer was fearless but it wasn’t bravery that drove her. It was a dangerous mix of naivety and an insatiable hunger for knowledge.

Hunger. The approaching aroma of grilled poultry cooked in coriander, lemon, and peppers entered the room spreading its influence through the Graceful Bark. Dozens of eyes were immediately transfixed upon the plates carried by the same barmaid who had retreated to the kitchen just a few moments earlier. Her return was celebrated. The grumbling of Lilthis’ stomach serving as applause.

Dorothy sat the plates down in front of the pair revealing the splendor of her work. Two succulent pieces of white meat decorated with brown crusting and intense lines of slate charring. Keeping the meat company was a side consisting of thinly sliced pieces of tomato, eggplant, and zucchini which had been cooked with onion, garlic, and basil. Despite the commotion from her gut the dark elf waited for her guest to take the first bite. It would be impolite otherwise.

Last edited by Lilthis; 05-07-2018 at 08:51 PM.

GP

Name
    Yvonne Mythrilmantle
    Race
    Grey Dwarf

View Profile
    "Such manners," Yvonne complimented, understanding Lilly to be awaiting her encroachment upon her dinner before she would see about forking her own food. "Dig in, love. Ye don't need ta play by tha rules with me," the drow-dwarf advised, gesturing with a swirl of her open hand. "We've both suffered our share of etiquette and I know yer stomach's going ta take a chomp out of yer spine if ye don't feed it soon," she warned with a beaming grin.

Dorothy hadn't let her down and would be paid well for her kitchen-efforts. The bar maid was an excellent cook, truly. She hadn't memorized the repertoire of recipes which Yvonne could draw upon in a pinch, but those she knew she accomplished with competence and refinement. She merely needed a nudge, a nudge from the appropriate angle, to convince her to give meal preparation her all. The usual clientele, the local miners and traders weren't so picky with their food. They didn't have the palate of sophisticated sel darthirii, nor dwarven mixed breeds whom had spent their formative years preparing meals and drinks, for unappreciative dark elves that always expected more than the dwarves slaving beneath them.

Yvonne had assumed she'd been more than clear with the inn patrons sitting at the nearby table - the humans and the orc - but no, here they were eyeing off the steaming, succulent food set down at the table of the black-skinned foreigners... and Lilly had imagined herself rude, for allowing the thought cross her mind of tucking in before the one who was paying? No, this turning around in their chairs and ogling at food that wasn't theirs, licking their chops and smacking their lips was bad manners.

"Excuse me," Yvonne cut in, throwing down the gauntlet, glaring glinting silver daggers in the direction of their table-neighbours, her slanted eyes darting between their eye contact and stabbing each of them with pointed looks. "Would ye mind keeping yer drool away from our food? We be trying ta eat in peace here. If ye like tha look of our dinner order yer own, okay?" The orc flushed with embarrassment more than the others, green to red, but each of them hurriedly turned back to their own food-bereft table and made themselves busy with their ale mugs, pretending nothing had ever happened. Yvonne rolled her eyes, flicking another smile Lilly's way, shaking her head slightly.

"Not even polite enough ta apologise. Hmph. It be easy, ready? Pay attention," the little matriarch prompted, clearing her throat loudly. "I be sorry for disturbing ye, Lillian Svalesin. It won't happen again," Yvonne pioneered, flicking a commanding gaze toward the orc a table over and encouraging him to do the same.

"Go on, ye try," she prodded with words.

"Sorry Lilly," the humongous orc admitted, his lip even quivering subtlely as he said so. "Won't look again."

"Good lad! Well done," Yvonne cheered, giving him a wee clap. Her steely silver gaze drifted to Dorothy, the bar maid and she called out to her again. "Dorothy dear, could I buy these polite gentleman ta our right another round? Bring them some of that honey-whiskey I like so much, would ye Dot?"

The blonde bar maid nodded, laughing to herself, just about in stitches as she poured three honey-whiskeys and brought the mugs over to their table. The humans were flabbergasted but grateful and their orc comrade wore a huge, toothy grin of proud sheepishness on his happy face. Dorothy came by Lilly's and Yvonne's table as she returned to the bar, her hand resting on Yvonne's shoulder.

"Never change," Dorothy whispered as she walked away.
    Last edited by Yvonne; 05-08-2018 at 01:11 AM.
    ~ Thrice, Black Honey.