Level completed: 2%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,950

GP

Name
    Lilly Svalesin
    Race
    Dark Elf

View Profile
    It was incredible. Her new guest wielded a power that Lilthis envied. Yvonne’s command over their behavior was absolute. It begged the dark elf to reconsider her new friend’s stature, she may be physically small but her personality was large enough to dictate the room. As the show played on the young dark elf dared not eat or blink. She would immortalize every detail of Yvonne’s masterful display of power.

Finally, showing her true colors the part-elf ended the scuffle gracefully. Giving the inn business, mending the table of spectators egos, and flexing her power for Lilthis to behold. A win by all accounts. Every stereotype the Aleran elf had on dwarves was being shattered.

Then again... she was only half dwarf. She decided to believe this display came from the elven half. It was easier for Lilly to think in that manner.

Deciding she would try to speak her mind again, the obsidian elf expressed her approval, “I like you. You’re the most pleasant sel darthirii I’ve met in awhile,” all while smiling. With this latest display the half elf was accepted by the full elf as being one of her own.

“I’ve never seen an orc blush,” she mused aloud.

With that last quip, and the permission of her petite comrade, Lilly took up her fork in her gloves left hand and began to eat. Vibrant savory flavors of tender fowl called her tastebuds home. As she dug her metallic instrument into the vegetable medley the flavors of garlic and basil sang a lovely chorus throughout each bite. Decadently the young woman continued to nibble away at the food, ensuring to keep her mouth closed and her hand wrapped around the fork in the correct manner.

Wiping her mouth occasionally she contemplated how her new friend may handle the impending journey. The look of concern was severe, this little one clearly had some prejudice against magic. Lilly just hoped this fellow Aleran was up for the challenge. If she handled danger the way she handled rude men neither of them needed to worry.

Swallowing once more she placed a napkin on the table to indicate her satisfaction.

EXP: 8,121, Level: 3
    Level completed: 79%, EXP required for next Level: 879
    Level completed: 79%,
    EXP required for next Level: 879

GP

Name
    Yvonne Mythrilmantle
    Race
    Grey Dwarf

View Profile
    Lilly's presupposition about Yvonne's race - how she was sel darthirii - without even a mention of her dwarven heritage stimulated her, like a cat receiving a caress in the wrong direction. The microscopic hairs of her skin stood up on end, though she hid the feeling well, keeping any expression of vexation from her face. Her silver eyes acquired a considering narrow, accompanied by a warm smile that bathed her agitation with appreciation.

The dark elf was attempting to bestow her with a genuine compliment after all. The gesture wasn't completely lost on the hybrid. Compliments came few and far between, Yvonne was grateful. Her spirit was dampened however.

Proud of her dwarven lineage to a fault - if Yvonne took issue with either of her bloodlines it would be the dark elf within her. The majority of her ill life experiences were derived from the haughty superiority of sel darthirii slavers (her interpretation) and taskmasters (definitely true) coming into her mother's establishment at the end of a work shift, acting like they owned the place, making demands, putting her down and having no respect for her race whatsoever. Why would they? The dark elves were the ones who had brought civilization to her people - they were the ones galvanizing the gears of creation and progression.

The dwarves chipped away at rocks. They merely collected ore and crafted ingots. They only banged on metal between hammer and anvil, forged the implements of change in their smoke-choked smiths and workshops. They provided the masterwork armour and the magnificent weaponry which kept their vast, growing realm safe. They studied the blueprints the brilliant dark elves had sketched for them, putting the pages of still images into motion, drawing on their resourcefulness and bringing designs to life. They took dreams and made them reality.

That's all. Dwarves were simpletons. The backbone of Alerar, their short frames the foundation that held the dark elves aloft so they could take possession of their greatness. Without the sel darthirii the khazad would still be huddled in their natural cave networks, striving to store enough food for the freezing winters, struggling to keep predators at bay. Without the dark elves the dwarves would return to their tribal roots, their earth and fire gods, their wind and water goddesses.

All the same Yvonne wasn't willing to feel accepted as a sel darthirii if it meant she had to overlook her dwarven half. She wouldn't change who she was for anybody and had made peace with her hybridization many years ago. It was everyone else who seemed to have difficulty accepting both halves of her, but that was their problem in the end, wasn't it?

Yvonne ate her dinner (breakfast) politely and quietly, the picture-perfect example of fine eating habits. Her masking smile was bemused, her thoughts taking her away while she ate the delicious, spiced chicken and vegetables. The flavours popped on her tongue and tastebuds like a pyrotechnic display of exploding fireworks over Ettermire. It was Dot's best work yet. The grey dwarf closed her dreamy eyes and savoured the tastes of basil and garlic. Scrumptious.

She wouldn't dare talk with a mouthful though she certainly had a lot to say, like the long preparation of loading a flintlock rifle, pouring a powder charge down the barrel and shoving lead down after it with a ramrod, the hammer pulled back, the frizzen closed and the riflewoman taking aim.
    So I’m cutting that branch off the cherry tree.
    Singing this will be my victory.
    Then I, I see them coming after me.
    And they’re following me across the sea.
    And now they’re stinging my friends and my family.
    And I, I don’t know why this is happening.
    ~ Thrice, Black Honey.

Althanian

EXP: 5,050, Level: 3
    Level completed: 2%, EXP required for next Level: 3,950

GP

Name
    Lilly Svalesin
    Race
    Dark Elf

View Profile
    Something was amiss. Something had changed. The talkative Yvonne fell silent, deep in her own thoughts while cleaning her plate. Maybe she just did not like speaking while food was at the table? Or maybe she was afraid of the pending journey?

Ah! Could it be that someone in the Graceful Bark was bothering her? But who?

Lilly’s soft blue eyes scanned the inhabitants of the bustling tavern. Yvonne could’ve been bothered by any of them.

There was the middle aged local couple arguing over whether their billy goat could walk on his hind legs (he couldn’t). There was the brown haired human who had been ogling Lilly since she walked into the bar. The table of rodents whose entree had just arrived, if a giant slab of cheese could be called an entree. Or perhaps it was the rowdy group of adventurers chugging beers!

Her questioning closed in proximity. Someone nearer the pair’s own table? That was it, Yvonne was... embarrassed? At the interaction between the orc and his cohort! Unlikely, the half elf did not seem capable of embarrassment after her show of force just now.

Then what? Had it been something Lilly had said or done? No, Lilly had been most polite, she had even paid the half elf with a compliment. It couldn’t have been anything she had... oh no.

As the flames of the above chandelier raged on the tension at their table engulfed the two women as well. So thick it could’ve been cut with a rusted spade. Panic arose in Lilly as she realized her error. It was so obvious now. So plainly simple, how could she have been so insensitive? The offense was indeed great and it seemed unlikely to be remedied in the dark elf’s mind. How could the pair continue with this faux pas laid bare?

The fork!

To her utter dismay Lilly had finished eating so quickly that she laid the fork on the wrong side of her plate. Worse, it was laying diagonally. She had been scolded for committing this very sin several times as a child. She could feel the sting of the reed from the transgression all over again. Quickly she attempted to remedy the blunder by straightening the utensil and moving it back to its proper position. Letting out a sigh of relief she noticed Yvonne was still silent.

Cautiously she stammered out, “i-is everything alright?” Her sky blues focusing on Yvonne’s glistening silvers.

Praying for her tablemate’s forgiveness she tried to remind the duo of the prize ahead. Twirling a finger on her napkin she innocently posed a more pertinent question, “if you are finished perhaps we should begin to take our leave?” Lilly hoped she wasn’t adding to the insult by making her new half elf companion feel rushed.

GP

Name
    Yvonne Mythrilmantle
    Race
    Grey Dwarf

View Profile
    Yvonne may have had a minor tendency toward feeling slighted, and by the most trivial of things. Her agile mind could be easily catapulted way off into the distance with the most simplistic of prompts. In her defense she had redeeming qualities to counterbalance her idiosyncrasies, an inclination to forgive many times over before committing to any sort of grudge among them. Her lidded eyes reopened to notice the subtle hint of concern in Lilly’s expression. The genuine grin slowly crept across her face once again.

It seems she be apologetic already, though it be certain she knows not for what. She be unknowing in all likelihood what her words insinuated. She barely knows ye dear, of course there be tha odd growing pain as we get ta know each other better. Give tha lass a break, cut her some slack. She be well intentioned and that be more than ye can say for those dark elven bullies ye forgave as a youth.

“Everything be wonderful, sweetheart. Sparing a thought for me wee brethren at home be all. I know quite a few of them would bludgeon ye and me with a mallet ta get their gobs around a meal such as this,” Yvonne explained. Her words created a barbaric mental-image while she remained civilized and cultured, courteously taking the last bite of zucchini she would be consuming this evening.

She chewed silently, mouth closed, lightly brushing a mere two pieces of tomato nearer the edge of the plate which would indicate to Dot she’d provided her patron the correct amount of food to satisfy. Yvonne placed her knife and fork down in the middle of her plate, straight, side by side, wordlessly allowing the barkeep to understand she and Lilly were finished with their meal. It wasn’t long before their table was attended and Dorothy’s aura of curiosity enveloped them, wide-eyed, a happy smile upon her features, collecting their plates and cutlery.

“Was everything to your liking this evening, Lilly and Yvy?” the bar maid queried politely.

“Dinner was divine, dear. Ye outdo yerself with every evening I spend here,” Yvonne nodded graciously.

“Oh my, that’s kind of you to say and lovely to hear. You’re such a charmer. Will you be helping me tend the bar tonight or has this darkie elf convinced you to chase flights of fancy?” Dorothy pried, her boldness and curiosity growing because of Yvonne’s previous compliment.

“The latter I fear dear, but I’ll try ta be back sometime tonight ta help ye clean up, if this rumour doesn’t prove ta be a wild goose chase, that is,” the half-drow informed, warning her with her eyes not to press the conversation much further. The bar maid laughed, amused, speaking over her shoulder as she headed toward another table.

“I’ll leave the you-know-what in the you-know-where,” the blonde reminded her favourite patron secretly, double-tapping her nose. Yvonne double-tapped her own nose, understanding the message perfectly.

This should have been the uncomfortably awkward moment when the bill arrived at their table, and the host had to cough up some coin for the meals and the round she'd shouted. The bill never arrived and Dorothy seemed entirely contented with the penniless situation. Strange. Why was that? Well, the secret to avoiding uncomfortable concluding situations at the dinner table was simple really.

Pay in advance and pay well.

It was another social trick Yvonne had learned over the years, enabling her to receive service second-to-none, to buy rounds of drinks with ease and order impeccable food for strangers. She’d opened a bar tab the moment she’d arrived here weeks ago, replenishing it occasionally when Dorothy wasn’t busy with customers. It was convenient for both of them, a win-win.

“I’ll quickly grab me equipment from me room upstairs and we will be on our way. I’ll meet ye outside in a minute or two?” the tricksy crossbreed offered.
    Last edited by Yvonne; 05-09-2018 at 10:52 AM.
    ~ Thrice, Black Honey.

Althanian

GP

Name
    Lilly Svalesin
    Race
    Dark Elf

View Profile
    She seems to be over whatever must’ve bothered her. Or just does not wish to discuss. I understand. There are many things I wish not to discuss.

When the architect of their dinner came to inquire about their experience Lilly nodded in approval. The gesture was intense enough that her skull nearly parted ways with her body. With a large grin and sunken cheeks the barmaid could tell that her craft was appreciated.

Studying the body language between Yvonne and the barmaid Lilthis recognized the two of them were quite close. When it became obvious that they need not pay for the exceptional meal Lilly surmised the half elf must have some agreement on the side. Or maybe she owned the place! That must be it. No wonder everyone respected her opinion with such obedience.

Realizing she was in the presence of the inn’s proprietor Lilly stiffened her back, hoping she was still making a good impression. When Yvonne agreed to head out after a quick trip upstairs Lilly nodded and said, “certainly! I’ll wait outside for you. You operate a wonderful establishment!”

With that the dark elf stood, wood audibly scrapped against wood as she slid her chair into the table and issued Yvonne a slight bow. She turned around and started to make her way to the door, darting in between tables, men, and beasts. As night had cast its shadow on the town of Stonevale the Graceful Bark had become a hub of activity.

Filling the inn was the murmured sounds of chatting crowds. The uniform voice of a group caused a muffled echoing throughout the inn. It was one reason Lilly didn’t like large groups of people. Was hard to concentrate in the haze of conversation. Worse yet was the smell. Dozens of sweaty miners, hot dishes, spilled beer. The very air was pungent.

As she pressed through the crowd in a rush to get outside she was brought to a sudden halt. A hand gripped at her thin wrist before pulling her back like a string.

“‘Ello miss, why such a hurry?”, bellowed a clearly drunken brown haired man. The very man who had been eyeing the girl all night. His shirt was a bit ragged and stained with some small pewter colored tassels at the waist. He was balding, with a thin mustache, and wore equally ragged pants to match his shirt. Lilthis could smell the beer from his breath, she didn’t like the look in his cloudy green eyes. “No good thing out that way, best to stay here. With me,” he said with a wink.

Glaring at him as if he had just committed a capital offense she issued a warning, “if you touch me again with that grubby little hand I’ll remove it,” placing her own hand to the dagger aside her hip. The man was shocked, expecting at worst a meek rebuke from the woman. He had clearly never encountered a dark elf before. Releasing her arm the man replied, “no need to get violent, just tryin’ to get to know you.”

In repulsion the proud sel darthirii retrieved her arm from the stranger. Thinking herself truly intimidating the young woman continued outside, spinning on her heels, whipping the strange man with her snowy hair.

Lilthis was many things but she was not weak. She was full of life. If anyone thought they were capable of preying on her they were wrong. Not without a fight. Observing the half elf had taught her to speak confidently and with purpose. Confidently the Alerian stepped through the threshold of night, leaving the well lit inn behind her.

Outside there was a bit of a chill in the air. Lilly’s skin formed small circles as the hair on her arms stood up. Looking at the night sky brought a sense of relief to the dark elf woman. A full moon peered over the mostly cloudy night sky. The dark cumulonimbus coated the sky, allowing only a few stars to shine through.

Crickets could be heard despite the muffling voices coming from within the Graceful Bark. Lilly examined the cobblestone streets of Stonevale as she drew her cloak around herself to cover her bare arms. Scanning the edge of her sight line the dark elf saw the winding dirt pathway to the southwest which would lead the pair to the mine.

This was a perfect opportunity to clear her head prior to the dangers that may await the duo. She didn’t want to dwell on the dangers, preferring to be overconfident despite the risks. At the very least she had a comrade to make her way to the mine with. Though they had just met Lilthis already trusted Yvonne. Believing that bringing the half elf would certainly prove to be beneficial. In her gut she knew that the adventure before them would not be possible without the aid of the tiny mixed breed.

Wanting to be ready to depart as soon as her new friend arrived Lilly opened a small panel on the top of her gauntlet. Her eyes blurred slightly as the luminous stone inside her glove was exposed to the vacuum of night, piercing through its dark covering with a white light.

The slate elf smiled. Let’s just hope this isn’t a hoax...

GP

Name
    Yvonne Mythrilmantle
    Race
    Grey Dwarf

View Profile
    Well, she not be too far from tha truth of it. If I owned tha establishment I would operate it wonderfully.

Yvonne hooked her dangling legs to the left of her chair, swiveled in her seat and hopped down from it, her heeled boots landing softly on the floorboards. She pushed the chair in neatly out of the way of other patrons and hastily strode toward her room, ascending the stairs one at a time. Opening the door to her room she stood in the threshold, considering the equipment and supplies she would need. The first item she picked up and whipped around her neck, a brown fur scarf made from the pelt of a bear. The second priority was her gloves.

Backpack, check. The pack had many buckles and straps on the outside which tools were affixed to - a cogwheel saw, a cooking pot (just in case despite the meal a few minutes ago, as it had saved her life once before), a firestarter, herb sickle, an empty lantern and a water flask. Inside the backpack was a rolled-up bed, blanket and soft pillow. She added her spyglass goggles, careful to protect the glass. She wouldn’t need them until the twilight hours of the morning.

Herb pouch, check. Within was stored an assortment of flowers, herbs, mushrooms and roots as well as her trusty mortar and pestle. She packed the herb kit into her backpack, next to the goggles, closing it up. You never knew when you were going to need a remedy, or a drug, depending on the situation. If the cooking pot had saved her once before, the herb kit had enabled her to save countless others.

Yvonne strapped her leather shoulder guard to her left, the strap running beneath her right armpit and back up securely. She put her head through the loop of her quiver, draping the band over her right shoulder and resting the container against her back. It wasn’t a full quiver of crossbow bolts but it would see her through the night, hopefully. Her grabby hands took up her crossbow and she looked down the sights, happy with it.

Quiver… and crossbow. That be everything. Time ta go, Lilly be waiting!

The grey dwarven opportunist locked the door on her way out and scrambled back down the stairs, loaded with gear. As she crossed the floor level of the inn many of the patrons waved goodbye while she passed them, nodding and smiling as she went. The whiskers of the ratkin twitched in her direction. The orc raised his honey-whiskey mug to mark her departure. Dorothy mouthed the words be careful from the far side of the room.

Yvonne stepped out into the pristine, cloudy night, detecting Lilly immediately in spite of the dark hour. With a bit of swagger and confidence she arrived by her side, keen to get moving but aware Lillian was concentrating on a white light emanating from a gauntlet she was wearing. The drow-dwarf was cautious to avoid looking directly into the light source, facing away from it and peering down the dirt trail to the mine.

“Intriguing invention ye have there,” Yvonne pried, continuing, “did ye construct it yerself?” Her voice was interested but her sensitive silver eyes were definitely not.
    Last edited by Yvonne; 05-10-2018 at 08:58 AM.
    ~ Thrice, Black Honey.

Althanian

GP

Name
    Lilly Svalesin
    Race
    Dark Elf

View Profile
    Soon after Lilly’s light source was exposed to the cold of night the half elf emerged from within the Graceful Bark. Before the Aleran elf stood a fully kitted out Yvonne. Looking the small elf up and down Lilly realized just how ill prepared she was on her own. Traveling with a concert of wizards had spoiled her.

Hearing the interest in the smaller elf’s voice completely enthused Lilly. She exploded at the chance to share her handy work, “yes! I built this glove when I was just a girl. I’ve made a lot of changes and improvements over the years,” gesturing to the stone the dark elf continued, “I was able to get this stone to shine through several days of trial-and-error.” The dark elf woman held out her glove closer to Yvonne to give her a closer look, oblivious to Yvonne’s sensitivity to it’s light.

Lilthis’ lips scrunched as she contemplated what information she wished to share with Yvonne. The half elf had been so generous thus far.

“So... before coming here I was traveling. With a group of mages, studying magic. I know that back home all you and I would ever have heard about was the negatives,” losing a bit of confidence (and getting a bit chilly) Lilly shifted her cloak to cover more of her arm, “but trust me, it’s not as intimidating or awful as Alerans make it out to be!” Of course, Lilly neglected to mention that she had never studied necromancy. Or the dozens of times she injured herself around magical artifacts.

Surely though necromancy cannot be too different from the numerous other schools of magic. Lilly wondered how it may operate. Was it re-stimulating impulses in the brain and then mildly controlling motor functions to simulate what appeared to be re-animation? Maybe it did not modify the brain at all, instead using energy to propel the limbs of a corpse. If that were true then necromancy was not any different than other schools of sorcery.

“The only negative thing about magic is how lazy it can make some of its practitioners,” Lilly thought back to mages she used to see use magic to solve rudimentary problems. The sel darthirii went on, “but for the most part it’s fine. Just stick close and we’ll be ok!”

Facing the dirt path in the distance Lilthis spoke once more, “are you ready Yvonne?”

GP

Name
    Yvonne Mythrilmantle
    Race
    Grey Dwarf

View Profile
    Try as she might to look away and avert her eyes, Lilly brought her light source in close and dazzled Yvonne’s sensitive vision. She recoiled instinctively, clenched her eyelids shut tightly, shielded her face with a hand but it was too late. It wasn’t the brightest light in the world, thankfully, but it was enough to make her see stars. She would be relatively blind for the next five minutes while her vision readjusted to the changing light-levels.

“Curses! I may not have explained me shortcomings,” Yvonne confessed, massaging her closed eyelids soothingly. “I grew up in tha darkest part of Kachuck’s natural cavern system. Me eyes are well acquainted with total darkness but they have a wee bit of difficulty focusing on light. A bright enough light might blind me,” the grey dwarf said, spelling it all out for the dark elf whom had probably never been to her home-cave.

“I should be fine in a few minutes. Ye lead and I’ll follow for tha first leg. When me darkvision readjusts itself I can scout for us instead,” she affirmed.

Lilly wasn’t leading straight away like Yvonne had hoped she would, feelings of concern and guilt keeping her here perhaps. It was the half-and-halfling’s fault though, truthfully. It had been her decision to leave her protective goggles behind. It was dark but that didn’t rule out sources of light. Mayhap the hybrid could change the topic and that might take the edge off, soften the guilt-trip she’d probably bestowed upon the poor woman.

The forbidden topic had been raised again. Lilly spoke so freely about magic, certainly it had to be some kind of ruse to lower her guard and derive the truth from her. Alerar had many operatives and inquisitors that served the King - perhaps Lilly was one of them, come to expose the mixed breed mage for who she was. What did she really know about Lillian Svalesin? Of what Yvonne knew what could she prove was truth? Not much. The charismatic hybrid held a small debt over the dark elf’s head though, and if this relationship was going to end in betrayal, well … she had her own knavery ways of dealing with that too.

Part of the hybrid needed someone she could trust, to talk about what she was going through. She felt like a vulnerable larva hiding away in her chrysalis, undergoing magical changes of late, and here was a person who appeared to have a much greater understanding of magical knowledge. Lilly was an expert of magical theory at the very least and that was far and away from her own understanding. Knowledge was power; feeling as though she had none she needed to acquire some while she had the opportunity. Now that there wasn’t so many eavesdropping ears around, out here alone on the open road, Yvonne felt she could speak about magic. It terrified her of course, but she’d come quite a way from the phobia of her previous year.

“I’ll tell ye a secret, but ye have ta promise ta keep it ta yerself. No blabbing ta anybody, especially not to anybody like Dorothy. She blabs on ta every patron that comes into her bar. Definitely no dark elves. Who knows what they would do ta me if they found out. It might be a one way trip ta tha gallows or an inquisitor’s bonfire,” she warned, her trembles coming back again to take her over.

“I know a--” Yvonne hesitated, her breath catching in her throat. She licked her lips, hurrying through the rest of her words before she started listening to her better judgement. “--spell or two. I be a novice magus.”

Her vision was already returning to normal.
    Last edited by Yvonne; 05-20-2018 at 04:52 AM.
    ~ Thrice, Black Honey.

Althanian

GP

Name
    Lilly Svalesin
    Race
    Dark Elf

View Profile
    Recognizing her light’s insult to Yvonne’s vision the dark elf moved her left arm away from the shorter elf. A concoction of guilt and shame poured over the tinkerer as she filled with regret. Before she could even compose an apology the stout elf brought up something new...

A secret? Promise not to tell?

Who would Lilly even be able to tell? It’s not like she knew any of the inhabitants of this island. In fact Yvonne was the only person on Scara Brae that she knew by name. Still, the least she could do for her new travel companion was honor this request. The sel darthirii nodded her head, accepting the pact of secrecy between the two. Fancying herself as being part of a grand secret, Lilly took a peek over her shoulder to ensure there weren’t any witnesses.

The revelation would provoke a series of confused blinks from Lilthis. Followed quickly by a flurry of wild thoughts.

Is it one spell or two? I hope she doesn’t think I was calling her lazy. What school of magic? How long has she been a practitioner? I wonder what kind of stalagmites are in Kachuck. If she’s a magic user why does she seem so paranoid about magic?

Lilly could tell that Yvonne was not fully comfortable with her magical talents. She tried to decipher the half elf’s demeanor to see if maybe she could extract more information about this newly discovered talent. After a brief silence Lilthis decided she wouldn’t allow the suspense to persist, “that’s quite... interesting. You are full of surprises huh?” Lilly issued a smile, the kindness from her blue eyes emanating with brilliance. The dark elf shared a bit of herself next, “I am incapable of using magic. I have zero capacity for talents of those sort... rather unfortunate if you ask me.”

Lilly straightened her back and then placed her left hand behind her for the sake of Yvonne’s eyesight. “It’s very interesting that you have those skills y’know? You shouldn’t feel the need to hide them,” she stated. “See, I intend to understand magic from a scientific perspective. To unravel the stigma of it and use the technology of Alerar to mimic th-,” Lilthis stopped herself. She hadn’t meant to dive into so much detail, she had just allowed herself to get too excited. Typically her ideas caused her to be labeled as insane, a fool, or any other number of insults. Only once had anyone actually understood her pursuit fully and they hoped she would not succeed...

“Sorry. I did not mean to go on and on about it. What sort of magic do you practice? I’d be interested to see for myself at some point,” Lilly paid Yvonne a happy glance, hoping she had not scared off her new friend just yet.
    Last edited by Lilthis; 05-11-2018 at 04:33 PM.

GP

Name
    Yvonne Mythrilmantle
    Race
    Grey Dwarf

View Profile
    “Believe ye me, it be a surprise ta me too,” Yvonne announced. “More a horrendous shock really, like when yer arch-nemesis sneaks up on ye and pounces from behind. Ooh Nelly, it be absolutely dreadful.” The hybrid mage’s eyesight was crystallizing clear, clear enough to be utilized again. The radiant spots dancing throughout her visual modality were making final steps to their saltations. Her darkvision ebbed into awareness once again, defined grey outlines, edges and corners coming into focus far in the distance - where to others, their awareness would be left undefined in the unknown.

Yvonne took lead of the pair, strode down the dirt trail which would lead them to a destination of mine. She kept a brisk, steady pace and didn’t look back, assuming one Lillian Svalesin would fall in and do her utmost to keep up. It wasn’t like the diminutive drow-dwarf was overly fleet of foot, so she had to take the initiative preemptively, set the pace expected and get to it. Most everyone else would be able to catch up with her, once they’d figured out the little rascal beneath their eye level had taken off on them while their attentions had been elsewhere.

“Aye, interesting, that be a word for it I suppose. I’d say it be absurd, a wizard paranoid about her own spells, how ironic. Some divinity above us be having a right old laugh at me expense. If I could get me hands about tha neck of whoever decides who gets ta be what in this life, why I’d throttle tha living tea bags out of them!” Yvonne was in rare form, back to being herself, rising above her timid trembles and jumpy jitters through the force of her personality. Fear kept raising its ugly head every time magic was discussed or experienced, but she courageously chopped it off again and again, as many times as she needed to.

“Of course I need ta be hiding me talent dear. Let’s not forget who we be or where we came from. A pittance of magic be accepted in Alerar and even that be sparingly. Only tha magic easily controlled, tha spells considered safe ta rely upon. Anything else be dangerous and reckless - threatening - and when Alerians feel threatened they be likely ta put their heads together ta resolve their issue,” Yvonne rationalized, shaking her head in respecting disagreement.

“Ye could say I don’t get along with our brethren at tha best of times and, honestly, it be no fault of mine. Most of them be disdainful and snobbier than ye be - no offense ta ye, yer quite agreeable and lovely as far as dark elves go. Ye don’t seem ta look down on me because of tha disfigurement of our race’s perfection which I supposedly represent,” she booed and cooed at the same time. “Give them another reason ta hate me, see what happens… no, wait, don’t ye dare,” Yvonne turned and grinned, gestured with a pointing finger, laying down her little law.

The grey magus followed the trail down a sloping hillside, the descent allowing her to pick up a bit of speed. Gravity was her friend for once, whereas usually it was a limiting, oppressive master much like sel darthirii were. The hill-fall caused her to jog until she reached the bottom, where the ground plateaued a while though would continue to decline. From this plateau Yvonne could make out the distant materializing of the mine entrance, forbidding and ominous in the pitch-black darkness at the very borders of town.

“Everything be having its time and place sweetheart. As long as ye understand that ye need not moderate yer speech in me presence. I can handle tha magic-talk when it be ye and me, but it be hushhush when others be about. Tha risk that a rumour about me might eventually find its way back to Alerar be too great,” Yvonne allowed, her voice a little shaky as she said so. “I’d like ta hear yer perspectives on magic - how science explains it. I think being able ta understand magic in a thorough capacity might banish me anxiousness of it altogether, but I fear I’ll never be rid of me dread of dark elves. Not ye, sorry, them.”

Yvonne chanced a glance back at Lilly, her brow furrowing as her seemingly endless voice fell silent for a moment. The novitiate was considering whether or not she even wanted to get into it - the spells she knew and showing them off, because talking about them specifically made them real and Lilly would doubtlessly beg to see them come to life for herself afterward. Filled with hesitation and reluctance, she conceded a word or two about them, not wishing to offend a friend who may be able to explain away a great deal about the mystical practice.

“They be very basic, probably not at all interesting ta someone well travelled with a group of mages. A simple mind soothing spell and a stone skin spell, nothing more, nothing fancy,” Yvonne admitted, talking her talent down.
    ~ Thrice, Black Honey.