Level completed: 0%,
    EXP required for next Level: 0

GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod

Althanas Battle Tropes

I've been thinking about tropes a lot recently, and as I also started thinking about potentially writing a few battles again, I realized there are a finite number of Althanas Battle Tropes.

• The "Teach me, Sensei."
      In this trope, one of the characters has sought out a battle with the other in order to learn from them. Usually the "teacher" is a higher level and/or ICly famous in some way, and the "student" will have a driving reason to learn.
    • The "Vengeance will be mine!"
      The two characters have a preexisting relationship of some sort, because of which one of them wishes to kill or harm the other. As often as not, the reason for vengeance is the last battle they fought.
    • The Fiting Fiter
      One of the characters is engaging in the battle because they like fighting. Nuff said.
    • The Bored Battler
      One of the characters is engaging in the battle because they are bored and extremely desensitized.
    • The Angry Assassin
      One of the characters is engaging in the battle because they are angry with someone other than their opponent, and couldn't find their punching bag.
    • The Test of Mettle
      One of the characters engages in the battle because they wish to test their combat abilities or push themselves past their breaking point, usually against a higher level character.
    • The Training Day
      One or both of the combatants is competing simply to hone their skills, usually resulting in extreme Citadel overkill.
    • The Paid Performance
      One of the characters has been paid to fight the other for some reason, be it a prizefight or other reasons entirely.
    • The Fiters to Lovers
      What starts as a battle swiftly devolves into lovemaking, and everybody wins.

Those are just a few of the ones I've written myself over the years. Which ones have you participated in? Can you think of any that have never been seen before?
    "The breeze did not stir. The stars did not twinkle. The trees did not sway and the brook did not babble.
    For the world did not turn when Am'aleh wept, and a tear had tumbled down her cheek."

EXP: 8,121, Level: 3
    Level completed: 79%, EXP required for next Level: 879
    Level completed: 79%,
    EXP required for next Level: 879

GP

Name
    Yvonne Mythrilmantle
    Race
    Grey Dwarf

View Profile
    Apologetic Attacker
    Likely to occur when the protagonist needs to incapacitate or remove someone from the equation, and the individual is innocent or hasn’t done anything wrong given current circumstances. The attacker will apologize or at the very least feel guilty about their actions but perform them anyway from a feeling of necessity. A blunt, bludgeoning object or weapon is normally utilized to subdue the person (such as a blackjack), and the victim is often hidden safely afterwards because the hero knows they’ve done something questionable.

I Surrender, Suckers
    They’re cornered. They know it. They surrender. You accept their offer and lower your guard - surprise! They strike! The wound is grievous. This allows them a position from which victory is assured or escape becomes a possibility, turning the tables. A variation involves the enemy allowing themselves to be captured, so that in time they can undermine you or your organization from within.

Wounded Gazelle
    Using injuries, real or fake, to influence others into doing what you want. Refers to a mother gazelle (as well as certain birds and deer) pretending to be injured to lure a predator away from her young. Once creating enough distance the pretense is dropped and the mother bounds away, leaving the predator in the dust. A.k.a. crocodile tears. When humans use this trick their motives are often less noble.

There are so many tropes I'll have to come back to this later, haha. Too busy right now.
    So I’m cutting that branch off the cherry tree.
    Singing this will be my victory.
    Then I, I see them coming after me.
    And they’re following me across the sea.
    And now they’re stinging my friends and my family.
    And I, I don’t know why this is happening.
    ~ Thrice, Black Honey.

upon the cheek of night

EXP: 224,444, Level: 20
    Level completed: 0%, EXP required for next Level: 0

GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod
    I can't stop thinking of them now.

• The Sadist
      This character goes into the battle knowing that they are likely to win, mostly for the pleasure of hurting their opponent.
    • The Masochist
      This character goes into the battle knowing they are likely to lose, because they either enjoy or are conditioned to accept pain.
    • The Born Loser
      This combatant is fighting because they lost their last fight, and is likely to lose again.
    • The Sexpert
      This warrior is focused entirely on seducing their opponent, seeing it as the only/most likely path to victory.
    • The Dirty Harry
      One warrior, usually less powerful than their opponent, relies on a strange display of good fortune in order to win a come-from-behind victory.
    • The Madonna
      An immortal character foreshadows winning the battle by coming back from the dead, and then does so.
    • The Picky Eater
      One character initiates the battle because they are hunting members of their opponent's species.
    • The White Knight
      The battle begins because one combatant is defending a third party from the other combatant. Usually this is a maiden, senior citizen, or tavern.
    • The Black Knight
      The fight starts because one combatant attempts to stop the other from going somewhere.
    • The Green Knight
      One warrior attacks the other because they are disrespecting the natural earth in some way.

I'm still not making these up, I'm just remembering them.
    "The breeze did not stir. The stars did not twinkle. The trees did not sway and the brook did not babble.
    For the world did not turn when Am'aleh wept, and a tear had tumbled down her cheek."

Viator Mundi

EXP: 155,108, Level: 17
    Level completed: 18%, EXP required for next Level: 14,892
    Level completed: 18%,
    EXP required for next Level: 14,892

GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Telgradian

View Profile
    Uncle Sam Needs You

One member of the battle is looking to recruit the opponent into the organisation they work for / own.

EXP: 34,842, Level: 7
    Level completed: 99%, EXP required for next Level: 158
    Level completed: 99%,
    EXP required for next Level: 158

GP

Name
    Zack Blaze
    Can not believe nobody has thought of this one yet.

That Is Mine Now

The fighter is attempting to collect something their opponent has, be it something of value, a weapon, or simply something sentimental.

Give It Back

Can be a follow up to the previous trope, something has been taken from the character and they are fighting to reclaim it from their opponent.

EXP: 485, Level: 1
    Level completed: 25%, EXP required for next Level: 1,515
    Level completed: 25%,
    EXP required for next Level: 1,515

GP

Name
    Henry
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Test Giver:

Kind of a reverse of the "Teach Me!" trope. This one, the more experienced character is forcibly testing the other, to see if they've reached some unknown/unstated threshold. The test giver takes it upon themselves to do this, not asked to by the the younger one and their target may not even be aware that they are being tested. "Are you ready for this level of threat? Are you ready for 'x' level of work?" Are the variety of thoughts prompting the test giver.

upon the cheek of night

EXP: 224,444, Level: 20
    Level completed: 0%, EXP required for next Level: 0

GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod
    The "It's my first time, be gentle!"

This character goes to battle for the first time in their life because of some sort of coming-of-age tradition in their family or organization.

Nuclear Rage

EXP: 64,948, Level: 10
    Level completed: 99%, EXP required for next Level: 52
    Level completed: 99%,
    EXP required for next Level: 52

GP

Name
    Felicity Rhyolite
    Race
    Neanderthal/ Human Hybrid

View Profile
    Now It's Personal!
    A fighter initially joined because they just wanted to fight or was bored, but the opponent provokes them in a way that draws out a more personal reason to fight (an insult, a memory being triggered, etc.) and with it - character development.
    "I can't be proud of anything. I am ashamed of everything."

"I gave my heart, my allegiance, all my energy for this and got nothing but ashes in return. What on earth did I do to deserve being chewed and spit out like this? Time and time again, it's all the same."

Felicity Playlist.