Level completed: 13%,
    EXP required for next Level: 8,780

GP

Name
    ~Nosdyn Krotar~
    Race
    ~Old Soldier~

View Profile

[Closed] The second time was the worst...

(Closed)

It was night. Roughly the third hour of the night past midnight. It was a Tuesday night, though Nosdyn barely kept track of the days those days. He was working as a sellsword, hired by Stonevale's small militia. They had a Goblin problem in their mountain range. In the recent adventure, Nosdyn had penetrated the mind of one of the Goblin's warriors. There was an Overlord present in the group harassing Stonevale, and they were organizing an invasion. Stonevale itself was of little consequence to Nosdyn. He was helping them for selfish reasons...he needed coins to operate anywhere on the surface world of Althanas. As he'd known about the mortals and their cities...money opened up doors. It didn't matter what was the race of your blood...or what Nation you heralded from.

Money was power. And that had become a small obsession for Nosdyn...the acquisition of money. More indirectly was the acquisition of POWER itself. Influence over the various organizations of men and their petty laws. Nosdyn sat on a well formed log, it was built solidly enough to support his weight and muscle mass. There was a carefully built campfire present, and a basic tent nearby. It's fabric gently rustled with the night-time breeze. Nosdyn was lost in thought. He stared at the campfire, listening to the crackling of the wooden logs that fed it. Footsteps. He heard them nearby, but that particular sound of boots was familiar to him.

"William Blake." Nosdyn said in his heavily accented voice. "What brings you out here at this hour of night?"

"Son of Haidia." William helped himself to a seat next to Nosdyn. "I used to think all of your kind was Evil."

"We are." Nosdyn responded. "However...that does not mean it is absolute or not." Nosdyn looked at William at that moment. "What is troubling you for you to come out here and talk to me alone?" Though Nosdyn was in fact, Evil...he had an honour code.

"You have fought alongside our hired swords with great honour. You have already proven enough." William leaned in close towards Nosdyn.

It seemed that Nosdyn's mantle of fear did not work on Willliam. He noted that but he did not flinch as the man moved in close to hand Nosdyn something.

"Here it is your pay for the week." William handed the pouch to Nosdyn, who took it calmly. "How long are you going to be out here?"

Nosdyn took the pouch and put in his personal packs. "As long as it takes."

"...For what to occur?" William asked.

"I have an enemy I'm trying to lure out here. I want to settle the score with him. So far he has not resurfaced and I owe him a second meeting. The first one...did not go well." Nosdyn said calmly.

"...An enemy you say? Is it anybody I know?" William responded.

"...It does not matter. But when he comes...I will fight him again. That's why I have stayed in this area for as long as I have. I'm hoping it draws him out of hiding and he does not run away from me a second time." Nosdyn said calmly. The first time...he ran. I got to be certain that he does not run twice. Nosdyn intended to kill Jake in their next meeting. "He lacks honour and he stole something from me before." Nosdyn said very carefully. He would not reveal the nature of the object that Jake stole, but it was vital to Nosdyn's personal mission.

William nodded. "So long as your mission does not endanger Stonevale..."

Nosdyn suddenly looked at William with a dangerous expression on his face. "You may leave now. Our meeting is over." Nosdyn said carefully.

William sighed. "Very well." William stood up slowly and looked at Nosdyn. "You just surprised me is all, you specifically have more honour than you initially let in on. I respect you for that, but don't go getting yourself killed. Stonevale still needs your sword." With that, William took his leave and went off into the night.

Nosdyn sighed. But he knew he was bound to Stonevale...at least for that time being. Nosdyn stood up at that point. "Jake...the next time we meet. I will kill you." Nosdyn was determined to make his enemy pay for what was done before...he would make Jake pay.

Adventurer

EXP: 32,526, Level: 7
    Level completed: 70%, EXP required for next Level: 2,474
    Level completed: 70%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,474

GP

Name
    Jacob (Jake) Narmolanya
    Race
    Elf / Human
    A cloaked figure stole into Stonevale, traipsing through the pools of lantern light that beat back the shroud of night.

Jake Narmolonaya adjusted the black patch covering his left eye socket while his good eye scanned the scene. Along the main drag beggars cried out for coins and doxies lingered in doorways, offering a little more bang for one's buck. Jake had no time for either. He adjusted the crystal sword on his hip beneath the cloak, which he kept closely drawn despite the night's warmth. He did not want anyone seeing his chosen garb. Not where he was going.

The streets of Stonevale twisted and turned, and as Jake navigated them there were fewer and fewer whores and hobos lining the cobblestone walkways. The closer he drew to his destination, the more things seemed straight and orderly. Within another five minutes, he arrived at the town's main guard barracks.

There was a single guard on duty in the antechamber separating the barracks itself from the outside world. The man looked up from a metal blacksmith's puzzle as Jake closed the door behind him.

"Whatta' you want?" The guard demanded, brusquely though not rudely. He was just a guy doing his job, who saw an impediment to his enjoying the evening in peace.

A moment later, he saw sparkling gold as the half elf removed several thick coins from his cloak pocket. He stacked them on the desk and then brought a finger to his lips.

"Those are for you," the one eyed youth said with what might have been a wink. "No need to let the other guards know you got such a tip. You should keep it all for yourself."

The guard quickly plucked the coins off the desk and pocketed them. "Well, whatta' you want?" He asked again, but in a much more jovial tone.

"Information," Jake said, running a hand through his messy dirty blond hair. His green eye glimmered as he leaned a hand on the desk. "I'm hunting a demon, and I have reason to believe he's here in Stonevale. This isn't the type of monster you want around, trust me. If you can help me find him, it will be to everyone's benefit."

"A Haidian?" The guard inquired, and Jake nodded. "Actually, we've got one of those on payroll as a mercenary. He's helped us fight off the goblins coming out of the mountains."

"What's his name?" Jake asked quietly, right hand snaking beneath his cloak to touch the hilt of his sword.

"Can't say I remember," the guard replied.

"Would a little more gold aid your memory?"

"I wish it would," the man chuckled, toying with his beard. "But I'm an honest sort, and I honestly can't remember the bastard's name. I could point you towards William Blake though. That's the man you want. He's responsible for paying most of our mercenaries. In fact, I think he just returned from paying that demon. Wait here, I'll see if he's in back."

Jake paced the length of the antechamber while he waited, wondering whether this William Blake would have the answers he wanted. If he could point Jake toward Nosdyn, the half elf would be happy to reward him. Jake always had a list of demons and monsters he was hunting, and Nosdyn was at the top of it. The demon had escaped the hunter's grasp in Alerar. That would not happen a second time.

Legend

EXP: 45,220, Level: 9
    Level completed: 13%, EXP required for next Level: 8,780

GP

Name
    ~Nosdyn Krotar~
    Race
    ~Old Soldier~

View Profile
    For some reason, Nosdyn smiled to himself.

He wasn't entirely certain why or for what reason. Only that he simply smiled. With William Blake gone, he was free to operate at his own leisure. He took the gold coins and placed them in his rustic old backpack and put it away. He did not know it then, but the enemy was already on the move.

Nosdyn stepped forward towards the campfire. "It will be tonight." Nosdyn said to nobody in particular.

He moved to put out the campfire and prepare for his second meeting with his enemy.

At that point, The Brokenthorn Forest became unusually quiet. Nosdyn did not mind the noise of the forest, but at that point the silence of the wilderness was a heavy weight in the air. Nosdyn narrowed his eyes as he qucikly moved to take the campfire out. It took a short time, and there was smoke swelling off the no longer lit embers of the logs. He moved to undo his tent and hide his supplies. "Time to prepare." Nosdyn said out loud.

As he considered his next move, he decided on something very specific. The first time...Jake caught me off guard and stole something of value. This time...I'm returning the favour. Nosdyn moved into the darker areas of the area around the abandoned camp, and hid behind a nearby tree. He closed his eyes so that the glow of his eyes would not reveal his position too early. Eventually, he knew he had to train some stealth teachings. But for now...this would do.

As he hid there with his eyes closed, his muscles and breathing tensed.

He thought about what he would say to Jake...what he would do. He's probably gotten stronger. And so have I. I have not stopped training... He thought to himself. He unlatched his weapon but did not activate it right at that moment. He merely waited in hiding. He was certain that it would be that night. For the time being, he had to be patient. And wait to set the trap for his enemy.

Adventurer

GP

Name
    Jacob (Jake) Narmolanya
    Race
    Elf / Human
    "I shall not tell you the name of this demon," William Blake said firmly. "He is an honorable warrior. Specifically, much more honorable than I at first thought. I will not tell you who he is or where to find him."

They were outside the guard barracks, standing in a pool of light cast by the building's front lantern.

"Look," Jake said, "I've already given you some gold. If this demon is as honorable as you say, there's almost no way he's the one I'm looking for. My target is a skunk, a real no-good type of Haidian. You wouldn't want him around. You certainly wouldn't be paying him to help fight off goblins. He'd probably be helping the goblins! So just tell me his name, and I'll cross Stonevale off my list, and go on my merry way."

"No," Blake replied with a nasty grin. "No information for you. Thanks for the gold." He moved toward the door.

Jake's foot whipped out like a sprung trap, snaring the guard's ankle and sending him tumbling to ground. In the same instant Jake leaped upon him, clapping a palm around his mouth to stop him from shouting and twisting his head back at an uncomfortable angle. He pinned the guardsman with his hips and added incremental pressure to the spine lock, threatening to break Blake's neck.

"I'm going to allow you to speak in a moment," Jake whispered fiercely, his lone eye searching for movement. He saw none. "If you say anything other than that demon's name, I'll break your fucking neck, you hear me?" He gave that a moment to sink in and then released the man's jaw.

"Nosdyn," Blake growled angrily, his eyes showing fear. "His name is Nosdyn."

"Good," Jake said, and doubled the pressure on his spine. "Now tell me where he is."

It had taken a lot of work to track Nosdyn to Stonevale. A lot of gold, spread around to greedy hands, and a lot of legwork. Fortunately Jake was a skilled portaler, so most of his legwork just involved walking the short distances between his portals and his sources of information. He didn't need a portal that night, though. Blake had given him an easy to follow set of directions. The half elf strode out of the town, down the road, and off into the forest. Before long he spotted the outline of a small camp by the moonlight. There was little more than a fireplace and a small tent. Jake approached carefully, on silent feet, using all of his considerable experience as a tracker and hunter to make no noise.

Nothing moved. Either the demon was in his tent, or else he was staked out somewhere nearby. Or perhaps he had already fled, like the coward he was. Perhaps him and Blake were in cahoots, and he was expecting Jake. The half elf would not be tricked, fooled, hoodwinked or bamboozled. He was prepared.

"Nosdyn," he called out, spitting the hated name. "I know you are here, demon. Come out of your hiding place and fight me. To the death, this time."

Legend

GP

Name
    ~Nosdyn Krotar~
    Race
    ~Old Soldier~

View Profile
    Nosdyn heard it...

Jake... The hour had arrived. He opened his eyes as he hid behind the tree. The comfort of the ancient oak helping to calm The Demon's nerves. Nosdyn could not help but smile in the dark. It is time. He stepped out of the darkness, and moved from behind the tree, revealing his position. His weapon at the ready. "...Jake." Nosdyn said calmly. He was a little bit afraid of his enemy, but he was glad that he would fight him a second time that night.

"Things are different this time." Nosdyn said calmly. "We'll see how true to your words you are." The last time, their battle had ended in a stalemate. This time though...I'm going to pay him back for everything that happened. Nosdyn's muscular form was tensed up as he activated his weapon. The blade simply manifesting as it's horrible sound filled the air.

The surrounding wild lands were completely quiet at that point as the two enemies met once more.

"I've been waiting for you. I knew if I left my mark on Stonevale you would come here." Nosdyn said calmly. Again, that smile was on his face. A grin really. "Age and time have not been kind to you, Jake. You are not aging well." Nosdyn taunted. "...We have unfinished business." Nosdyn said calmly.

He started to slowly walk towards Jake...

Adventurer

GP

Name
    Jacob (Jake) Narmolanya
    Race
    Elf / Human
    "The world has been kind enough," Jake retorted, although he knew for once the demon had spoken true. Since they last met, the half elf had traded his left eye for information that had yet to lead him anywhere in the search for Lye Ulroke. In another incident, the word coward had been scarred in his right arm by a powerful Ar'tuel sorceress named Amari, a former friend. Ulroke and Amari were at the top of Jake's list. They were two of the worst monsters he'd ever met.

Nosdyn was at the bottom of the list. Somewhere in the middle was a demon named Arkboss. Jake had skinned him alive and allowed him to escape, but had turned the fine hide he'd taken into a jacket and pair of boots. His long cloak had kept the illicit and controversial clothing from being detected in Stonevale, but that was no longer an issue.

"Just look at the fine jacket I'm sporting," Jake said. In one dramatic gesture he threw off his cloak and sent a fireball spinning into the prepared pit. The flames settled and grew, illuminating the mottled green-brown of the hunter's jacket and boots. "What do you think of my new duds?" Jake asked Nosdyn.

The demon drew nearer, and Jake felt the power of his fear-mongering magic at work. Fortunately Jake had a uniquely strong will. He had escaped abusive foster parents at a young age, grown up a vagrant and thief, and worst of all, he'd tried to be friends with Amari. There were still things on Althanas that could make his blood run cold, but the demon Nosdyn was not one of them.

Jake smiled and drew his sword as Nosdyn drew nearer. He knew the Haidian would attack in rage as surely as he knew the bastard was alone. He dropped his center of gravity by a hand's width and rose up on the balls of his hip-wide feet, feeling ready for anything. He took up a two handed grip on his crystal longsword and raised it overhead in a high guard.

Come on, you fool, he thought. Cross blades with me again.
    Last edited by Jake Narmolanya; 05-31-2018 at 04:14 PM.

Legend

GP

Name
    ~Nosdyn Krotar~
    Race
    ~Old Soldier~

View Profile
    But something had happened. To Nosdyn, to his allies...to them all maybe. Something different, he was not the same Nosdyn that Jake had fought last time. He'd grown in skill and prowess continuing his training. Nosdyn recognize the demonic hide his opponent wore. I can't say I disprove...the strong are meant to survive...the weak fall at the blades of the strong. Nosdyn was different from the last time.

His eyes narrowed. "You probably expect to cleave me in two on the onset of our battle, don't you?" Nosdyn said calmly. He held his weapon at the downward forty-five degree angle. "You ran the last time we met. But the injuries I did give you were enough for me. The deaths of your friends and loved ones." Nosdyn taunted. "You stole something from me back then. You probably don't even realize what it was that you stole from my employer back then." Nosdyn was keeping his cool.

"After I've killed you...I'm going to take everything you own." Nosdyn did not stop talking. "But I'm not going to stop at your material possessions. I'm going to rip every ounce of information from your mind. And I'm going to hunt down every one you love and have ever called a friend." Nosdyn knew, you ever only knew someone you FOUGHT. The fast moving enemy he faces, would not hold any surprises him for him that night.

He noticed the boy's overhead stance. He does think he's going to cleave me in two... Nosdyn grinned at that point. Nosdyn pointed the blade of his weapon towards Jake. At that point he started walking at an angle in an attempt to move around Jake. He made sure to keep his weapon in between himself and that sneaky bastard. Should the boy use his fast moving powers again, he would be ready that time for him.

Nosdyn stopped walking as he was approximately an angle away from Jake. "Your move Jake, do not screw this up for yourself I have every intent to kill you tonight." Nosdyn said, and he meant that.
    Last edited by Nosdyn; 05-30-2018 at 11:20 PM.

Adventurer

GP

Name
    Jacob (Jake) Narmolanya
    Race
    Elf / Human
    He's actually gotten weirder. I didn't think that was possible.

While Nosdyn spoke about his myriad of strange fantasies, Jake constantly adjusted his positioning. The level and angle of his blade changed to reflect the demon's slightest movement. He anticipated an attack that never came. Nosdyn seemed content to stand waiting with his weapon at the ready. Jake flowed down out of his high guard and spun his blade through a figure of eight. The crystal edge slashed at the air, so fast it looked like two swords.

"I'm more likely to kill myself in the training yard," he taunted. "You think you have the skill to test me, demon?"

Nosdyn was not much taller than Jake, but much heavier and broader across the shoulders, and much longer of arm. He would have a reach advantage, until Jake pressed to a closer range. The half elf took a swift step like a crane stalking fish. He weaved toward his enemy, feinting and changing direction.

"Do you not know who you are dealing with?" He roared, fanning the air with another figure of eight. "Seven of us sought out Arkboss the Hunted. Seven warriors more able than you. I am the only one to have left that battle with my hide intact." He spread his arms wide, displaying the jacket. "I wear Arkboss' flesh like a badge, but I see you are too stupid to recognize the significance." Another figure of eight, and then another. "It means you should run, Nosdyn."

"It means I am Jake Narmolanya, Hunter of Demons, and my outfit is not yet complete. I will take your hide to the same tanner who worked Arkboss' flesh for me. You may be too chopped up by the time I'm done with you, but I'll try to leave enough at least for a pair of gloves."

The crystal longsword was a whirlwind. The air around it hummed, and the green blade became a blur. Jake took another step toward is enemy, and then another.

"I could have feathered you from a hundred yards with my bow, or roasted you alive as easily as I lit that campfire." He said. "But I wanted to cross blades with you one last time, to watch the light die in your evil eyes before I steal your power and your soul."

His foot lifted for a final step, and his body shifted with a speed not seen before. Jake had been transitioning from a low to high guard, and he suddenly changed direction and brought his blade down, attempting to batter Nosdyn's weapon downward. Almost in the same motion Jake extended his arms and thrust the point of his blade at Nosdyn's heart.

It was a basic two-strike flow that Jake had practiced thousands of times, and he executed it with a precision that lent an alarming amount of power. If either strike landed, the demon would feel the impact as though the blade were clasped by Joshua Cronen himself.

Legend

GP

Name
    ~Nosdyn Krotar~
    Race
    ~Old Soldier~

View Profile
    But Nosdyn was prepared.

Their last encounter had made him mentally stronger and more dangerous than before, then there was that battle with Ioder. That had also served a purpose. Though Nosdyn lacked the speed and reflexes of his opponent, he had something else. He had endurance and the powers of his mind. He saw the blade coming at him out the corner of his eyes, but he'd already started to move when he saw the boy fast-shift again.

Not this time. Nosdyn thought to himself. He swing his weapon in a wild arc in front of himself, wildly somewhat, but he was attempting to second-guess Jake. His blade flashed as it shined through the air, and he intercepted Jake's sword. The two blades connected dead center with a brilliant flash of light. Nosdyn's sword shattered at the weight of his enemy's crystla sword. About the same strength as mythril or maybe higher Nosdyn guessed.

The recoil from the attack sent Nosdyn backwards. He rolled and soon got back on his feet, placing his silenced sword back on his belt. "So you got a fancy new toy." Nosdyn laughed. "You'll have to do much better than that if you want to win the night, Jake." Nosdyn was through. He was not going to taunt Jake anymore, he had to concentrate to stay alive. As he stood up he tensed his muscles and took a basic unarmed combat stance. Though he primarily favoured using his bladed weapon for combat, some situations made that very concept impossible.

Nosdyn slightly crouched down and waited to see what Jake would do next. "Focus less on talking, and more on fighting Jake." Nosdyn said as he waited for his opponent's next move.

Adventurer

GP

Name
    Jacob (Jake) Narmolanya
    Race
    Elf / Human
    Nosdyn swung his broken sword like a donkey stung by a bee. That should teach him a lesson, Jake thought.

It did not.

The demon seemed no less confident than before, even though he'd just been disarmed by a single blow.

Jake began to have a change of heart. After all, what was Nosdyn really doing that was so evil? Arkboss had been wrecking havoc all across Althanas. Lye had been one of the worst assassins in the world, and Amari had killed hundreds of innocents. Nosdyn was... camping.

The half elf paused in his approach. He needed to think twice about his actions, sometimes. It was very easy to go dashing off to procure new demonhide and rid the world of Haidians. But he had to make sure he slew the right Haidians. It wasn't like the villagers were begging him to defend them against Nosdyn. In fact, according to the little he had learned, Nosdyn was actually... helping???

Jake frowned, lowering his sword. He couldn't forget or forgive the lives Nosdyn had taken in Alerar, nor the destruction he had caused. The demon needed to be punished. But perhaps he was trying to turn over a new leaf. Perhaps he did not deserve to be skinned alive for his crimes. In one swift motion Jake sheathed his crystal sword and drew his long liviol tonfa.

"I don't need to focus in order to beat the daylight into your brain," Jake said. "But I've decided I won't kill you after all. I'm just going to take you to the guards and tell them what you did. I'm sure they've got a cell somewhere we can stick you in to rot."

He took a step forward and swung the tonfa with all of his considerable finesse, aiming the stout stick to strike Nosdyn in the midsection. If he could knock the wind out of the brute, it would be easy to put him through a portal back to the guard barracks. Jake figured he could have beaten the demon hand to hand, but there was no reason to give up the advantage of his stick weapon against such a larger and more muscular opponent.