Level completed: 13%,
    EXP required for next Level: 8,780

GP

Name
    ~Nosdyn Krotar~
    Race
    ~Old Soldier~

View Profile
    Something was happening. Nosdyn knew that Jake could have killed him easily. At that point, he watched as his opponent sheathed his crystal sword weapon and drew some side arms. Nosdyn observed very carefully. He retained his tight combat stance and listened to what Jake was saying. He...does not know how things are here now... Nosdyn shook his head. When the strike came in from the tonfa, Nosdyn tried to tank it. The brutal melee strike came in considerably strong. Not...strong enough yet. He's got that damned fancy new toy.

Nosdyn knew he was vastly outclassed by Jake at that point. He crunched over in pain for a moment or two, coughing as he got the wind knocked out of him. He thought carefully about what Jake was saying. He decided that he would let Jake find out on his own. Nosdyn knelt down coughing as he clutched the ground with one fist. He sighed. Jake was really just an ignorant kid.

The guards had invited Nosdyn to help them with their Goblin problems. Nosdyn knew he was not in the wrong there...however, he could not beat Jake on his own yet. He needed to grow considerably stronger. No time...you got me Jake. You beat me... Nosdyn submitted himself to his fate. The guards would know how to handle Jake once they saw the situation at hand. Nosdyn merely waited to see what would happen next...

Adventurer

EXP: 32,526, Level: 7
    Level completed: 70%, EXP required for next Level: 2,474
    Level completed: 70%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,474

GP

Name
    Jacob (Jake) Narmolanya
    Race
    Elf / Human
    Jake stowed his tonfa and unsheathed his crystal sword again, menacing Nosdyn with the keen blade. The half elf hadn't expected much of a fight, but even so, things seemed to be going a little too easy. He created a portal anyways, watching as a round whole tore open in the air, leading back to the stoop outside the guard barracks in town.

"Go on," Jake said, gesturing with his sword. Nosdyn glowered and stalked through the opening with the hunter hot on his heels. Jake allowed the portal to snap shut and then opened the door to the guardhouse. He made the demon go first, following him into the antechamber lit by its flickering lanterns.

"Hey, it's you again." Said the guard on desk duty. "You found the demon. Why the sword?" He looked behind him at where he'd hung his own blade from the chair.

"This demon is a wanted criminal in Alerar," Jake said, "he killed innocents and destroyed property, and stole important artifacts. I demand that you punish him for these crimes, or else arrange for him to be transported back to Alerar where he would no doubt be hanged."

"Easy now," the guard said, standing up. "I'll call some of the lads to arrest him." He disappeared through the door behind his desk, returning shortly with six large men in tow. They took up positions on either side of Jake and Nosdyn.

"You shouldn't have come back," a familiar voice said. Jake looked to the door. It was William Blake. "This is the little creep who beat me up, boys."

Damn, Jake thought, I didn't think he'd tell anyone about that.

"That was just a little training exercise," he said out loud. "Look, at the very least you need to put this demon behind bars where he belongs."

"Nosdyn has been a great help to us against the goblins," Blake said, walking close, almost within range of Jake's sword. "What have you ever done for Stonevale?"

Is he serious? Jake wondered.

"I saved the princess of Scara Brae from being beaten and raped by goblins," he said. "I fought them outside the city and rallied a force of peasants to drive them off. What more could I possibly do for this nation?"

"I heard about that," Blake confirmed with a nod. "So that was you? The stories didn't mention anything about an eyepatch."

"It's a... recently acquired accessory." Jake said, touching the silk patch.

"But even if it was you," Blake went on, "I didn't see it with my own eyes, Stonevale did not directly benefit, and what have you done recently?"

"I've been tracking down this demon."

"Well your efforts and time were wasted," Blake growled. "Nosdyn is more honorable than you give him credit for."

"It's not a matter of honor," Jake spat, "he killed people. Good people. For that he has to pay."

"How's this." Blake said, crossing his arms. "I don't believe you. I think we should arrest you for assaulting a guardsman. Boys?"

The guardsmen drew cudgels and closed ranks, but Jake moved one step quicker. He shoved Nosdyn into those in front of him and whirled to menace those behind with his blade.
    Last edited by Jake Narmolanya; 06-02-2018 at 01:39 PM.

Legend

EXP: 45,220, Level: 9
    Level completed: 13%, EXP required for next Level: 8,780

GP

Name
    ~Nosdyn Krotar~
    Race
    ~Old Soldier~

View Profile
    It was escalating far too quickly for Nosdyn's liking.

He stood there for a moment as Blake and the other soldiers attempted to defend him. Why is it always like this...? Nosdyn had to wonder. He sighed. "William. That's enough. Call off your men." Nosdyn suddenly said, killing for sport and honour was one thing. But Jake was no cold-blooded killer. In a strange change of heart, Nosdyn didn't want Jake to have blood on his hands that wasn't really his fault. "The last time I met this guy...things happened and I was working for a different boss back then. I doubt what he says of Alerar's law is true and I believe he wants to simply kill me himself." Nosdyn looked at Jake at that point with a surprisingly calm expression on his face.

"Jake...let's step outside and finish this. You don't have to involve Stonevale any further. I know how far you THINK you're willing to go. But are you really ready to kill more people just ot "stop me"? I doubt that. This is between me and you." Nosdyn looked at his friend, William. "I'll go outside with Jake and let him do whatever it is he thinks he's going to do. Don't go after Jake for this though, they don't pay you lot enough for someone of his caliber." Nosdyn said calmly. He looked at Jake.

Nosdyn narrowed his eyes and they were quite serious. "You intend to kill me, I intend to kill you. In the end nothing is solved." The Demon had changed since their last meeting. Be it older age, or some traumatic event he'd gone through...he'd changed. "We're going outside because I don't want you to harm anybody in Stonevale over this matter." For whatever the reason, Nosdyn had grown fond of the citizens of Stonevale, he'd done right by them. It showed that even a Demon like he could care for folks. He stepped outside and walked a few paces away from the guard barracks. He stood there for a long moment, waiting to see what Jake would do next.

Stonevale's normal night activities had slowed down to a hushed whisper as The Demon accepted what was about to happen. Strangely, he was not afraid. He didn't mind dying at the hands of an old enemy like Jake. And so he waited, with his back turned to the guard barracks and Jake himself. Life was sometimes very cruel and had an awkward sense of humour, in another time...Jake and Nosdyn would have been allies proper. But for the events of that bloody and awkward night, Nosdyn was simply tired of running and hiding. He'd accepted his fate.

Adventurer

GP

Name
    Jacob (Jake) Narmolanya
    Race
    Elf / Human
    "By Am'aleh's eyes," Jake swore, "you must be joking. Are you really saying that you've changed your ways?" He paced back and forth in front of Nosdyn, sword still gripped in both hands. He itched to behead the demon and have done with things. Never in his life had he heard of a Haidian forsaking their habits for crime and destruction. But by all the evidence he could see, that was exactly what Nosdyn had done.

"You," Jake went on, "the demon who stole a priceless artifact from a museum in Ettermire, and then killed a family and burned down their house to get it back? You are seeking redemption?"

Nosdyn only gazed at him coolly.

"This is just bloody great," Jake slammed his sword into its scabbard and crossed his arms over his chest. "Well, you're still not off the hook. I could take you back to Ettermire, you know. I'm sure the Aleraran authorities would love to get their hands on you, and so would your old boss." Nosdyn did not flinch at the threat. "But that wouldn't assure me of anything." Jake concluded. "I'm the one you have to prove yourself to, Nosdyn. I'm the one holding you over the fire."

The demon hunter turned his back on his prey, almost hoping the Haidian would attack him. When no attack came, Jake sighed and scuffed the ground. For a long time he had managed to keep certain aspects of his world black and white. He believed in good and evil, in wrong and right. That belief was what kept him on such a strong path through the perils of Althanas. But he could not kill someone in cold blood if they were actively repenting. Not even if it was a demon.

Jake rounded on Nosdyn.

"You claim you are honorable," he said, "and these guardsmen support you. So I want you to swear on your honor. Swear your allegiance to me, swear that you'll help me pursue my goals and defend my life and agenda. If you do that, then I'll stop trying to bury or imprison you. If you do that, I'll be able to keep track of you and make sure you don't fall back on your old ways." He crossed his arms again, his emerald eye narrowing.

"Your choice, Nosdyn. This is your chance to prove all that you claim."

Legend

GP

Name
    ~Nosdyn Krotar~
    Race
    ~Old Soldier~

View Profile
    Nosdyn heard what Jake was saying.

Redemption...could there be such a thing for someone like me...? I was just following orders... Nosdyn thought about Stare at that point, and the other, a man named Vitruvion. Nosdyn considered exactly whas Jake was saying. "Jake...I care about these people. You don't have to understand the why of it." He just wanted to do right by Stonevale. "Funny how things work out sometimes on the battlefield, isn't it Jake? Enemy one day, friend the next?" But Nosdyn was not an idiot. He understood what Jake was telling him.

"Before I tell you my decision. I want you to understand something." Nosdyn said calmly. "These people have changed me...I don't hold allegiance to Haidia's laws anymore." He wasn't going to tell Jake exactly why on that. "I suppose then this is a beginning for both me AND you then...? Nosdyn walked towards Jake. He was not afraid, but more tired than anything else. He was tired of running, tired of being afraid. "Jake. Understand that I have obligations now." He looked at the boy demon hunter for a long moment. The old ways were gone, Nosdyn had started evolving into something else. Something other than a cold blooded killer. "But I no longer have allegiance to Haidia. They exiled me anyway."

Nosdyn did the unthinkable. He extended his hand towards Jake for the man to shake his own hand. "Jake, as long as your obligations coincide with mine, we have an agreement." Nosdyn said.

Adventurer

GP

Name
    Jacob (Jake) Narmolanya
    Race
    Elf / Human
    "Not good enough," Jake said, shaking his head. "I can't trust that your obligations fall in line with mine." He shook his head, turning away from the demon's extended hand. "There needs to be some way I can keep you in line without spending my whole rotten life breathing down your neck..."

The distant ringing of an alarm bell reached his pointed ears, and the half elf spun around to peer into the distance. In all direcitons more alarm bells took up the cry, and then a guardsman arrive on horseback. Blood flowed from an arrow wound to his leg. Jake and Nosdyn both hustled to help him down.

"Thanks, lads." the guard said with a wince, "I need to get inside and warn everyone! The goblins are attacking in force from the hills, they'll be here within minutes!"

"Nosdyn, help him inside," Jake snapped. "I'll see to the horse and then follow you."

As the demon and the guardmsan staggered inside together, Jake soothed the horse with his hands and his voice, clucking and calming it down. He led it over to a tree surrounded by some grasses and shrubs where it could graze, and tied it off. He turned and hurried inside after the others. The wounded guardsman's voice was ringing across the room.

"There must be hundreds of them, coming out of the mountains like ants from a hill! We're all doomed boys, doomed!"

"Hey!" Jake cried, running over to the open space beside the wounded man. "We're not doomed. We need to ally ourselves with the villagers, with the mercenaries and other warriors, and defend this land! Come on, you're the guardsmen! You're supposed to be the front line of defense! What do you say?"

"To... to the armories?" One timid young guard inquired.

"TO THE ARMORIES!" Jake roared, and the men set off in a frenzy to arm and armor themselves.

"Well, it looks like you'll have a chance to prove yourself after all," Jake said, looking around at the bustling guards. "These lot will need all the help they can get."

Jake unsheathed his sword and led the way outside. The crystal blade glimmered in the moonlight. The goblins had picked a pretty night to die. Soon they would know the skill of Jake Narmolanya, for soon they would meet the wrath of his blade.

They ran to the edge of the village where the fighting had already begun, goblins sweeping into the villagers in swathes, buzzing through them with their spiked axes and sickle swords.

"Now's where you get to prove yourself, Nosdyn!" Jake yelled over the screams and clangs of death and violence. "Guard my back!" He turned and plunged into the melee, crystal sword a lethal song in his hands.

Legend

GP

Name
    ~Nosdyn Krotar~
    Race
    ~Old Soldier~

View Profile
    Nosdyn knew he did not like Jake and Jake did not like him...it would always be an adverse relationship.

However, when the injured guard showed up and things started to head south Nosdyn reacted immediately. Stonevale had become his extended family. Nosdyn did not like Jake's response, Nosdyn was doing the best he could. I'm a fucking Demon...why do I have to prove anything to him...? I've been here fighting the goblins for months. Nosdyn heard Jake talking of chances to prove himself...Thaynes damned hypoctie. But it is all right, I will do what I have to do. Nosdyn readied his weapon and he prepared to go towards the direction of the goblins.

"Nosdyn! You can't go alone." William Blake suddenly yelled.

"It's the only way to "prove myself." Don't worry I have experience fighting these things." Nosdyn smiled at William, it was genuine.

William nodded back. "Well follow as soon as we're ready." William said carefully.

"I'll hold the line." There was something beautiful about it. A DEMON defending Stonevale where none would not. He activated his weapon as he walked towards the goblin horde. He remembered what the goblin Overlord had told him some weeks prior to this event. Is this what the guy was talking about? Don't matter now I have chosen my side now. The forces of the goblin horde emptied themselves out of the Scara Brae mountain range. They mean to slaughter everyone. I have to hold them here. Arrows whizzed by in a storm of death and destruction. Some of the bolts were lit with fire, typical goblin strategies. They have chosen there side why should I be any different...? Nosdyn thought of Jake's words. That man will never accept me. It's all right. I will do what I have to do.

That's not good enough... Jake's bullshit words repeated themselves in his mind. It will never be good enough, Jake. Maybe I can die here and you'll leave me the fuck alone. Nosdyn growled as an arrow punctured his shoulder. However, his weapon was held aloft. The nearest of the goblin horde were already all over Nosdyn. Nosdyn accepted his face, he knew he would not be heading back to Stonevale after that one way or the other. My family. My friends...what's it all been for...? Nosdyn shed a tear as he fought the goblin horde, but he focused. Using the best of his demonic strategies and field tactics. In a matter of minutes, twenty were cut down but there were hundreds coming down in a wave.

They mean to destroy Scara Brae... Again, Nosdyn thought back to what the Overlord had said that time. William, I'm going to buy you guys time to evacuate the town... Nosdyn swing his weapon in wide arcs, energy leaving trails of power behind each swing. It didn't matter what Jake thought. What Jake had said, Jake had his own close-minded world view. It would never accept a Demon like he could change his ways. As Nosdyn fought, his muscles burned, tight and ready to be uncoiled. He was soon surrounded. Another dart struck him in his muscular, powerful body. Another, and another. Nosdyn was fighting as hard as he could. Friends...family...when had Stonevale become that? When had they become the reason I fought...? Nosdyn faced his fate without fear, he accepted he was going to die.

As he fought he carved a path of destruction against the goblin horde. Then through it all, something happened. The horde's leader, a goblin commander...approached Nosdyn. The thing drew his weapon and it was glowing with an enchantment's power.

"Stop fighting." The goblin suddenly said to Nosdyn. "You're already poisoned. There is no way for you to survive. Put down your weapon and cease fighting."

Nosdyn was crying. Tears. Actual tears, for someone or a lot of someones that he cared about even as he fought. Nosdyn looked at the leader. "I will never. Stop. Fighting." Nosdyn suddenly said calmly, unnaturally calmly. "I have allegiance to Stonevale, you will be stopped and held here." Nosdyn struck down the nearest of the goblins and then leaped forward with a charge. He raised his mighty weapon and prepared to strike the leader down...

Adventurer

GP

Name
    Jacob (Jake) Narmolanya
    Race
    Elf / Human
    Guard my back, Jake had shouted.

He turned and slew the first goblin he saw, splitting its snarling face with his crystal sword. When he glanced back at Nosdyn, the demon had taken off directly into the oncoming pack of goblins. With unreasonable strength and skill he carved his way through the seething horde, taking many wounds but refusing to fall. At one point he could have sworn the demon was crying.

While he watched Nosdyn work his miraculous carnage, Jake wove his own deadly web. His sword seemed to have a life of its own, dancing from one attack to the next as his footwork carried him in and around the enemy. The spiked axes and sickle swords did not touch Jake; he used his skill for precision rather than brute power, finding his way through the storm of swords.

"Nosdyn!" He roared. "You utter and complete fools!"

For fragmented moments in time, Jake found himself fighting alongside a line of guardsmen, and then alone, and then in a knot of peasants with knives and staves. Wherever he went goblin blood spilled, like black rain on the grass below. Soon Jake's demonhide jacket was stained with the filthy ichor, and his hands ached from wielding the sword so swiftly for so long. He adjusted his stance and his striking style, raining harsh full-armed blows from overhead at the shorter enemy. And onward he fought, chasing after the demon whose life he now felt responsible for.

The hillside crawled with corpses and gore. Jake battled his way to the top, finally taking an arrow to the knee and a spiked axe to the side. He fought through the wounds, through the blinding anguish, and kept on killing the shrivel-skinned bastards. Even as he slashed open two throats with a single stroke of his blade, Jake knew there were too many of them. Eventually, the village would be overrun.

If only someone could kill their leader, he thought, that might turn the tide.

The half elf thrust his sword forward, slaying a goblin and seeming to carve a hole in the air. He kicked out behind him to stop a charging enemy and then hopped through the portal.

Legend

GP

Name
    ~Nosdyn Krotar~
    Race
    ~Old Soldier~

View Profile
    Nosdyn thought of something just then.

He was not sure why but the memory popped in his mind. He found himself thinking about his biological mother. I miss you... Nosdyn saw the memory of his mother. And his Father standing by her side. It was a mysterious thing, the mysteries of the mind. Nosdyn struck downward instinctively and didn't even feel it whet the goblin commander's enchanted sword pierced his chest. Nosdyn's eyes went wide. He never stopped crying the entire time. He'd injured the commander gravely but the sword that impaled him had a nasty enchantment on it. Nosdyn stood there for a long moment and he once again found himself thinking about his mother and his father.

(Note: Memories)

"You fought and kept your honour." Nosdyn's Father was saying.

"You've finally grown up..." His mother added. "I have long awaited this day when you would not be held down by The Tribunal's law."

"I...am...dying." Nosdyn knew that was true, nothing would save him that time. "Mother, father...I've fucked things up for so long..." Nosdyn said. It was hard to talk, it was hard to stand, it was hard to think. Fire burned through his veins, poisoning him. He'd been poisoned far too long and was likely beyond help. "I-I'm sorry I have brought shame to our household."

His mother stepped forward, a proud demon of noble heritage. "No my son. You merely did what you thought you had to do. The Tribunal does not make requests and we know that our time had come anyway. You did what you had to."

Nosdyn coughed up demon's blood at that point as he stood in place waiting for his death. He fell down to one knee. "I can't fight anymore." Nosdyn didn't feel very proud of himself. The one time he had to do something for someone else, he felt he'd screwed it all up. The one time that I have to protect them...

His mother walked up to him in the memory-state. She kissed his forehead. "You have grown to love Stonevale, my son. Demons can love, and live in harmony with men." His mother smiled at him. "The time has come for you Nosdyn. Your friend has come to save you, we want you to grow strong and live. Stop clinging to the past."

Nosdyns eyes opened wide and he was looking at the ground. "Mother! Father! Forgive me!" He suddenly rose up off the ground, still crying the entire time. He kept a grip on his weapon and performed the act right as Jake arrived. At that exact moment, Nosdyn swung his weapon and cut the head off the goblin commander. He growled in agony as he stood there, more arrows kept hitting him. All poisoned. His weapon shut down at that point, Nosdyn never stopped crying. Memories came in in and out Nosdyn's mind. He vaguely recalled Jake plowing through many of the goblins and a few moments later had dragged him through a portal.

In the back of his mind, as Nosdyn blacked out he heard his mother calling to him. "You must live, my son."

"It is not yet your time." His Father added.

And the darkness consumed Nosdyn's consciousness.

Adventurer

GP

Name
    Jacob (Jake) Narmolanya
    Race
    Elf / Human
    Nosdyn beheaded the goblin warlord, and then the brawny demon finally fell under a hail of arrows. Some of the remaining goblins fled, while others turned to race towards Nosdyn in hopes of avenging their leader.

"N'Jal's web on a fucking salad!" Jake swore. "You lot there," he yelled at a nearby knot of guardsmen, "come hold this hillside with me!"

He fought his way through the melee, blade a blur, killing enemies left and right despite his seeping wounds. He stood over Nosdyn's fallen form, defending his former adversary against the pressing goblins. He knocked aside a sickle sword and skewered the wielder, and then staggered and kicked another greenskin in the stomach. The remaining goblins fought hard, knowing they would die if they did not win. They threw themselves upon Jake and the guardsmen, screaming bone-chilling war cries. Many of the guardsmen broke and ran for the town, but Jake held fast with a small number of them. They turned back goblin blades until finally there were no more left to fight.

A knot of six men including Jake remained, their swords stained with goblin ichor, their clothing drenched in sweat and blood. As the remainder of the goblin horde retreated into the treeline more warriors broke out from Stonevale, racing to the hillside in company with two healers.

Jake slumped to one knee as he watched them come. He still had the energy to lift his sword; he could still slay the demon he'd come to Scara Brae to kill. He looked at Nosdyn's ugly, blood soaked face. The demon would not mind a warrior's death on the battlefield. Jake lifted his sword...

...and slipped it into its sheath. He could not bring himself to slay a fallen fighter, no matter who it was, no matter how much he might deserve it. If nothing else, Nosdyn had at least proven himself a brave warrior. Perhaps Jake could find a use for such blind bravery. The half elf slumped down to a seated position as the healers arrived.

"How badly are you hurt?" One of them asked Jake while the other examined the guards.

"Not so very badly," Jake winced. "Just toss me a few bandages and I'll be ready to go again. You should check on him, though."

"What, the demon?" The healer shrugged. "Aren't they just cannon fodder?"

"That cannon fodder turned the tide of the battle," Jake said. "Heal him."

"Alright..." the healer crouched next to the demon. Nosdyn had so many arrows in him, he looked like a pincushion.

"This doesn't look good," the healer said, "yeah, you know what? There's almost literally no way I can heal this guy... alone."
    Last edited by Breaker; 06-09-2018 at 06:25 PM.