EXP required for next Level: 8,780

GP

Name
    ~Nosdyn Krotar~
    Race
    ~Old Soldier~

View Profile
    ~Elsewhere~

"He picked his side." One of the goblins was saying to the overlord.

"Interesting. He has chosen to save that pitiful town of men." The overlord said. "We have lost this day."

"Stonevale has many casualties by our blades." The goblin rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "Sire, when will the event occur? The promised catastrophe." There was impatience in his eyes.

"Soon child." The goblin's overlord promised. "They will be weak and vulnerable, but the child, Nosdyn...is strong. We must not let him gain his full strength."

"Are Haidains really that strong?" The goblin follower asked.

"You have no idea my child." The overlord said. "Gather the remaining swords, we will return back to our lair for now. Then we wait until it is destined to begin." The goblin overlord looked in the direction of Stonevale. "You have been MARKED, Nosdyn. Your fate is sealed as Stonevale's is." The goblins, after their defeat, gathered their injured and returned back to their mountain lair.

~Time passed.~

William Blake and the other warriors who fought alongside Jake and Nosdyn were present as the healers worked on Nosdyn. The head of the healers walked over towards William Blake. "He's not making any progress, he's been poisoned too long." The healer continued. "All we can do at this point is make him comfortable. The rest is up to him."

"Thaynes damn it all." William responded. Nosdyn was William's responsibility. The demon had done right by them every since he had arrived, and had even asked for a paltry payment in exchange for his sword-arm. William Blake walked over towards Nosdyn, the fallen hero of the recent goblin attack. He placed a hand on Nosdyn's forehead. "Be strong. Come back to us." William knew nowhere else on Althanas would Nosdyn have been given a second chance the way he had received in Stonevale. Stonevale changes people. William looked down at his friend. Then walked over towards Jake. "Jake, you have stayed here the entire time. I thank you. When he awakens have him see me."

Nosdyn found himself in a field...

A field that was alive and bountiful with harvest. Nosdyn blinked a few times as his eyes adjusted. There was a tree nearby and he walked towards that tree, sitting down next to it. Am I dead...? Nosdyn had heard the older demons speak of cross-road itinerant realms in between life and death. Maybe this was his purgatory.

He sat down for a moment. Behind him he saw the crippled shell of a demon's body. Punctured with arrows. It was his own body. He looked around the field more carefully and saw that the place was littered with his body, hundreds of his body. There was a strange serenity and peace in the sight.

He sat down. I've fought and kept my honour. Now what?

An old demon suddenly appeared. He was wearing tattered, shredded robes and walked with a walking stick that doubled as a staff of some sort. The demon approached Nosdyn and stopped a few paces directly in front of him. "Finally we can speak. Here at the crossroads."

Nosdyn blinked at looked at the older demon. There was something familiar about him, though he could not place it. "Who are you? More importantly, what happens now?"

"Who I am is not important." The old demon began. "Just know that I am always with you."

"Am...I dead?" Nosdyn asked.

"You died several times to get here. In between life and death. The healers of Stonevale have made your condition stable, but you are still sleeping. Time marches forward in the mortal world." The demon said calmly.

"Stonevale. Have they survived the attack?" Nosdyn asked.

"Because of you, they rallied and defeated the remaining goblins. Those that remained fled into the mountains. They lived because of your actions." The demon said, he calmly smiled.

"They survived..." Nosdyn chuckled a bit at that. "Crazy bastards, I wish I could have been there to fight with them." Nosdyn said.

"Many are injures but many did live." The older demon said calmly. "I have a proposal for you."

"What's that...?" Nosdyn was curious.

"Since you have been proven worthy by my superior...I want to give you a choice. You can stop the story here, and go to the other side OR." The demon put emphasis on the OR part.

"Or..?" Nosdyn wondered what sort of games of The Thaynehood he'd stumbled upon.

"Return to life but you will be granted the path as a follower of my superior." The demon agreed. "If you agree, he will come to you and offer you and Stonevale great prosperity and strength. You only have to tell me your name and the contract will be sealed." The older demon was now directly in front of Nosdyn and extended a hand towards Nosdyn. "What do you say?"

Without question, Nosdyn took the demon's hands. "My name is Nosdyn. Son of Krotar."

"It has begun." The old demon said, and everything faded in a brilliant flash of light...

Nosdyn's eyes slowly opened some time later. He growled in agony and one of the healers noticed it that was present near Nosdyn. "H-he's awake! SON OF A BITCH!" The healer made a lot of noise in the healing chamber and walked over towards Jake and everybody he's present. "He's awake NOSDYN WOKE UP!"

Nosdyn's eyes focused. Was the old demon a dream or something else...? He would soon find out.

A day later, Nosdyn had recovered most of his strength and was able to stand again. He was sitting up on the bed when the healer walked up to him. "You were almost gone for good. I'm glad you pulled through."

Nosdyn nodded. "I'm glad Stonevale survived the attack and that I was not completely useless." Nosdyn would always be hard on himself. It was part of who he was. Despite that fact that he had fought bravely and kept his honour.

Adventurer

EXP: 32,526, Level: 7
    Level completed: 70%, EXP required for next Level: 2,474
    Level completed: 70%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,474

GP

Name
    Jacob (Jake) Narmolanya
    Race
    Elf / Human
    "That demon is not my friend," Jake informed the healer. "And I'll fight you if you say that again."

"Okay!" The healer said, his palms upraised. "Look, I just came here to tell you that that demon is finally awake. He somehow recovered from his wounds... almost as if by magic. I mean, there was a lot of magic involved, so definitely by magic. We were siphoning poison out of him like Alerians at an oil well!" The healer chuckled and then looked away when Jake did not laugh as well. "Sorry, gallows humor. Kind of goes with the trade."

"Whatever," Jake said, turning back to his ale, "thanks for letting me know."

The bar he was in was not too crowded, which suited him just fine. Sawdust covered the hardwood floor and dark curtains covered the windows. Flickering candles and lanterns provided light at the tables, and a long mirror behind the counter threw it back twofold. In short, it was a tavern, and he had chosen it because it had ale.

But, he supposed he should probably go and talk to the bloody demon. Even if just to determine what that effects that much poison had on the Haidian brain. And to figure out of if his investment in the demon's potential had paid off. The demon had been impressive in the battle, if foolish. So, so, foolish. Impressively foolish, in fact. Jake made a mental note that there was almost no way he could trust Nosdyn not to do equally wild things in the future.

Jake considered walking to the hospital through the winding streets of Stonevale, with their doxies and hawkers and pickpockets galore. He thought about going out under the speckled stars and crescent moon. He even thought about the smell of the woodsmoke coming out of the chimneys. But he decided to just portal to the hospital instead because he could and he was maybe just a little bit drunk.

Through the various rooms of the sick and dying at the hospital Jake wandered, until he found Nosdyn sitting in one of them. Even now, seeing a Haidian caused Jake to automatically reach for his sword, like a permanently ingrained reflex. It would take some time for him to get used to not trying to kill Nosdyn.

"How are you faring?" He asked the demon. "The healers said you had enough poison in you to kill six men, or a dozen halflings."

Legend

EXP: 45,220, Level: 9
    Level completed: 13%, EXP required for next Level: 8,780
    Level completed: 13%,
    EXP required for next Level: 8,780

GP

Name
    ~Nosdyn Krotar~
    Race
    ~Old Soldier~

View Profile
    Nosdyn blinked as Jake arrived.

The question lingered in the air between them for a moment or two. Hospitals and healing centers all had that same smell of healing magic and potions brewing. He never liked them, but he knew he had to have gotten tremendous amounts of help. Nosdyn sat in a regular sitting position, somewhat hunched over. His powerful musculature bulging as he sat there. Tensed up. He'd grown to respect Jake during the events at Stonevale. "I've been better." Nosdyn said carefully. He didn't want to reveal just how terribly he felt to Jake. He knew the fellow likely would not care anyway.

"Are the goblins defeated?" Nosdyn had to know. He had to know that the one time he had done something for somebody else it had meant something. And he'd completed his task. His memories of the actual battle were all over the place and likely would remain fractured for the rest of his days. He did not mind, he only knew that he'd fought and kept his honour, Nosdyn looked down at the moment, though he'd done something truly heroic...he didn't feel like a hero at all. He was confused about his place in Stonevale.

As he sat there, he stood up after a few moments and walked towards Jake. There was a noted limp from some previous injury in his step that was pronounced. As he walked he felt a little out of balance and clutched the bed calmly to orient himself anew. As he walked towards Jake he nodded once more. "Look. Jake...I know you don't like me. Probably never will...and that's all right." Nosdyn spoke in a strangely calm sort of way. "I just hope someday we can set aside our differences." Nosdyn appeared very tired. He'd killed hundreds of the goblins by himself and was inflicted with days worth of poisoning effects burning through his body. He'd tipped over the edge several times because of the poisoning but somehow came back. "Someone taught me that men and demons can live in harmony with one another. I am trying to fight for that dream." Nosdyn explained. "It will be slow-going. But maybe, someday...there will be a peace between us." Nosdyn looked his former enemy square in the eyes. Man to man. They had fought together...surely that meant something.

"Stonevale is my home now." Nosdyn said calmly. "I will fight anybody to help defend it and what it's about." Nosdyn wasn't sure why he was saying all that to Jake. Only that it was coming from the heart.

Adventurer

EXP: 32,526, Level: 7
    Level completed: 70%, EXP required for next Level: 2,474
    Level completed: 70%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,474

GP

Name
    Jacob (Jake) Narmolanya
    Race
    Elf / Human
    "I still don't entirely trust you," Jake said, "but I supposed there must be a reason I saved your life. And if you're planning on staying in Stonevale... well, that'll make it easy to keep my eye on you." He closed his lone green orb and took a deep breath, and then opened it and continued. "I don't know if demons and men could ever live in harmony... I think whoever told you that might be taking the piss. I certainly won't be fighting for that cause unless Haidians change their ways considerably."

"But yes..." Jake went on, looking out the conveniently placed window at the windy streets. "The goblins were defeated. For now. They'll be back. Make sure you and the guard stay on high alert." He paced the length of the room, hands behind his back. "I can't stay. I'm needed in the capital... and elsewhere. This was just a little side-sojourn to kill you. Since I'm apparently not doing that... I guess I'll be on my way."

He paused in the doorway, looking back at the demon who'd been his enemy. "You fought bravely," he admitted, and then whisked away.

The streets of Stonevale carried him out of town, to a familiar patch of ground he'd used to portal in. As his feet hit it a doorway opened in front of him, a portal crafted from thin air and the wood of the forest surrounding him. Bright sunlight poured out of it as he pulled the door open; it led to the beach outside the city of Scara Brae.

Jake had fallen in love with Isabelle, the princess of Scara Brae, and had promised her to rid the countryside of monsters one by one. I guess I can check Nosdyn off the list. He thought. The demon no longer seemed like such a monster.

Next up would be Arkboss the Hunted, that hateful Haidian whose skin Jake wore as jacket and boots. The demon had innate healing powers that had kept him alive through flaying, and he and Jake had sworn vengeance upon one another. Now there was a proper demon type, not one likely to suddenly switch sides in the middle of a hunt. Jake rubbed his hands together, lone eye narrowing as he ducked through the portal to the beach. He would take off another layer of Arkboss' skin, and perhaps make some gloves out of it after all...

Legend

EXP: 127,650, Level: 15
    Level completed: 55%, EXP required for next Level: 7,350
    Level completed: 55%,
    EXP required for next Level: 7,350

GP

Name
    Philomel van der Aart (+ Veridian)
    Race
    Faun (+ Fox/Earth Spirit)

View Profile
    Name of Thread: The Second Time was the Worst
    Type of Thread: No Judgement
    Participants: Jake Narmolanya and Nosdyn

Rewards:

Nosdyn receives:
    1725 EXP
    205 GP

Jake Narmolanya receives:
    1500 EXP
    135 GP
    Last edited by Philomel; 06-12-2018 at 04:51 PM.
    *admin at your service*

Matriarch of the Gilded Lily and of its brothels, associated establishments and the army.

Characters:
    The family triplet: Philomel, Vaeron and Celandine.
    The god and kenku triplet: Stare, Avin and Vixen.
    The Primordials: Professor Charles and Moros.

Legend

EXP: 127,650, Level: 15
    Level completed: 55%, EXP required for next Level: 7,350
    Level completed: 55%,
    EXP required for next Level: 7,350

GP

Name
    Philomel van der Aart (+ Veridian)
    Race
    Faun (+ Fox/Earth Spirit)

View Profile
    all rewards have been added.
    *admin at your service*

Matriarch of the Gilded Lily and of its brothels, associated establishments and the army.

Characters:
    The family triplet: Philomel, Vaeron and Celandine.
    The god and kenku triplet: Stare, Avin and Vixen.
    The Primordials: Professor Charles and Moros.