Level completed: 51%, EXP required for next Level: 5,394
    Level completed: 51%,
    EXP required for next Level: 5,394

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Her beak parted as she gently guided the horse into the stable. A stable hand - Jeremy, was his name - shouted out a, "Hello, Madam Stare, thank you," before taking their steeds to a warmer place.

Stare, after a brief look at Jeremy, turned back to Nosdyn, her heart racing still after his outburst. Help him? After he had helped her and Vitruvion ruin Thesus Heysan? Did he even have a right to ask such a thing? Was it even possible after the spell he had been placed under?

But then he had apologised. And Stare felt torn. Lost between wanting to be kind to him, and knowing she would need to wait for Vitruvion's own permission. Why would be even want her, after all, to chase after a shadow. What interests were it for him?

But Stare felt her heart soften. After all, her and Nosdyn right now were in a bit of a similar situation. They both had been caught up in magical rituals, and bound to another being in some way. They both came from a place so far from here, and were aliens in truth. They both had no say, yet both would be rewarded greatly for this. Truly, she wanted to say yes, but she knew she could not promise anything. Therefore she started up to the house, going around the back to the servant's entrance where she honestly found it easier these days. It meant they could go straight to the kitchen where Mrs Deerling, the cook, could give them fresh food.

"You don't need to apologise, Nosdyn," she replied, turning to point at his mask again. "You could take that off if you wanted by the way ... I would help you if I could. But I can't promise anything. The way I see you ..." Carefully she eyed him, and paused as she tried to grasp a tight hold of the swirling colours about people. The way that a person lit up in a certain light when she watched them that particular way, with a hue that gave her clue to their personality ...

"We are very similar," she said, coming out of that silence and that sight, seeing the same shades of dark colours that swirled around them both. He was a pretty dark blue-purple and she was closer to a brown, but they were similar enough.

She opened the door, and immediately the fine smells of a kitchen burst in. A short corridor was before them, alongside a large common area filled with a long table and many chairs, the entrance to a very full pantry, and a steamy kitchen. Stare gestured, leading the demon straight down to the billowing water vapour, where they were seen by a huge-bosomed woman.

"My dear!"

Stare held up a clawed hand and waved. "Chance of food?" She asked, black eyes piercing the slowly place. The bosomed woman nodded and pointed back down, green eyes momentarily dancing intrigued on Nosdyn.

"Of course, dear. Common room, please. And tea?"

Stare nodded, "Tea," and she led Nosdyn back out ... To head back to the room with the long table where she sat.

"What did this Jake steal from you anyway?"
    Crows: Old nursery rhyme "One for sorrow, Two for mirth, Three for a funeral, Four for birth, Five for heaven, Six for hell, Seven for the devil, his own self."

Legend

EXP: 45,220, Level: 9
    Level completed: 13%, EXP required for next Level: 8,780
    Level completed: 13%,
    EXP required for next Level: 8,780

GP

Name
    ~Nosdyn Krotar~
    Race
    ~Old Soldier~

View Profile
    Nosdyn followed Stare and removed his mask when he was told, without question.

He observed, learning the faces of the people he would be dealing with quite often...should he survive the day. Then they walked to another room. Nosdyn sat down for a moment and thought about the question at hand. His memories flared up for a moment and thoughts of the day he met Jake angered him. But he would not take his anger out on the associates of Stare. He simply sighed as she asked the question, but he decided to be forthcoming with her. "Back in Ettermire, I worked under the employ of a man simply calling himself The Boss." Nosdyn continued, revealing a little bit about his past. It was a surprising thing that he could talk about it in such a way.

"One day, I was sent on a particular job to retrieve an artifact of Thayne Codex origin." Nosdyn's face became very serious. "The thief intervened when I had the artifact well within grasp. He moved faster...could move in a way that I was not used to seeing from Surface Dwellers." Nosdyn shook his head. The loss of that artifact, the report of failure...and the incredible torture that The Boss put him through as a result...reminded Nosdyn of his failure. "We fought for a few hours but he ran...away." He spat that last part out. "He stole the artifact and I have not seen him since. I had been hunting him down for some time. The Boss...his fury was harsh." His eyes went very distant as he considered the week-long torture session that The Boss put him through for his failure.

"I will never fail again." Nosdyn suddenly said with a serious tone. His eyes narrowed at that point as he remembered the long battle he'd had with Jake. Jake used his damned powers to collapse an entire building on top of Nosdyn, but his hatred kept him alive. His hatred had saved him. The memories of crawling through burning stone and mortar haunted him to that day. But most important, the memories of what he'd undergone at The Boss hands was there too. The fury was real. ALL of The Boss's servants were subject to the same kind of treatment for reporting failure. He sighed at that point, his eyes appeared haunted at that moment. But the glimpse went away soon after.

Nosdyn didn't know what he should do. But that was far from his current worries. He needed to get the job at hand done so he could report victory to Vitruvion and Stare. That was all that mattered. Nosdyn looked away for a moment. Then he looked back at Stare. "Tell me the nature of the location we are to destroy. I need to know what we are going to be dealing with." Nosdyn said after he had calmed down considerably. The memory of Jake was a powerful one to Nosdyn.

Legend

EXP: 59,606, Level: 10

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Stare carefully watched the demon with her brow raised. Even as delicious-smelling food came - pies and pastries with curls of steam that wafted the gorgeous and tasteful scents towards them, she still kept her eye on him, cautious but keen to know more of him. It seemed in a way that there was even closer of a tie between herself and Nosdyn. They both suffered, or had done, at the hand of cruel masters. This ... 'Boss' of his, with no more name than that, seemed a man shrouded in mystery, but one who had the allowance to let Nosdyn roam free. Her heart thudded with empathy and sympathy for him, longing to understand his predicament more - yet, she had a focus to do. She had a job to do. She could guarantee nothing with her situation in life, it would simply have to give her trust to him.

"It is not so much a location as a family," she said quietly to the demon as Mrs Deerling set the food before them.

With a finger raised she noted Nosdyn to be silent a moment as she smiled to the cook. Mrs Deerling took time to tell them the contents of the pastries.

"Lamb and basil, pork and potato, salmon and rosemary. I hope you do enjoy them."

"Thank you, Mrs Deerling," Stare said quietly, but gently. There was a pause.

"You are welcome," said the big-bosomed one, and then she bowed her head and made her way out, a curious glance thrown towards Nosdyn at the last moment. It was a lingering one, that spoke of uncertainty yet also trust - as if she was trying to understand why Sir Vitruvion would allow such a strange creature who had the air of someone unpredictable into the house. Stare thought, 'Clearly she has never been to the Hollow. Clearly she knows nothing if its existence.'

When the cook was gone she turned back to Nosdyn, voice quieter than before still.

"The Heysans are one of the most powerful families in the city. Thesus is not a noble, but he is rich and on the inner council. His daughter married a Duke ... since she has provided information to us in the past, I do not see Vitruvion wanting to end her or her husband. Just cut off her connection to her father. The tricky part will be in tearing down his merchant empire. That is key to this whole thing. We need to bring shame to him, ruin the Heysans forever. Have his daughter never want to speak to him, his wife abandon him, his son and wider family ... all dead or abandoning the name. As to Thesus himself," she let her voice down to a whisper. "It would be best if he was dead."

She took up a pasty and with a sharp clack of her beak she snapped a piece off. Then, tipping back her head she swallowed the pastry back, letting it fall down her throat and swallowing like an animal and a few lithe movements.

Then, once done, she looked back at Nosdyn, not able to see his reaction under his mask. But she went on, "We start in trying to find out the state of his business, and causing it to fall. Luckily, with Vitruvion as my patron, money for bribes is not an issue."

I have already said in a new solo thread I am writing that the business is actually going bankrupt.
    Last edited by Stare; 10-10-2017 at 07:04 PM.
    Crows: Old nursery rhyme "One for sorrow, Two for mirth, Three for a funeral, Four for birth, Five for heaven, Six for hell, Seven for the devil, his own self."

Legend

GP

Name
    ~Nosdyn Krotar~
    Race
    ~Old Soldier~

View Profile
    Nosdyn carefully listened as the plan was laid out.

He only thought of home at that moment...not Ettermire...but home in The Tular Plains. "Back home...on The Tular Plains...there are great Clans." Nosdyn began to tell of the story of his people "All work to achieve favour of The Overlord. Zieg." Nosdyn continued and carefully took a goblet and poured himself a drink. He decided it tasted fairly decent after a long pull. The woman...what was it? Mrs. Deerling is a good chef. I will have to thank her when time permits. Nosdyn continued the story. "When a clan falls from Zieg's favour...the clan is absorbed by other clans. Larger, more powerful ones. It is quite similar to what you're talking about. I'm a Soldier for one of those clans." Nosdyn explained carefully. He did not stop. "My Father achieved Favour with Overlord Zieg and my family prospered for many years."

"While Father grew our influence, our enemies plotted. Schemed. Was the nature of things on The Tular Plains." Nosdyn rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "Schollatha Tactics." Nosdyn said the term carefully. "As you surface dwellers call it...the ruining of an Entire Clan." Nosdyn became very serious at that point. "Accumulate enough Enemies on The Tular Plain and you could forfeit your entire Clan, and all it's wealth. I was training in Schollatha Tactics since I learned to walk. From age two or three it was military training." Nosdyn could feel the memories of his early youth haunting him. One battle after the other, friend one day, enemy the next. "My Commander one day ordered my Father's death." Nosdyn shook his head. "Squad rules. I had no choice...no say in the matter. It was obey or die." Nosdyn had a very serious expression on his face. "From the moment on...when my Father was slain by my own hands. I learned that I could lead. I could do any mission that was asked of me." Nosdyn considered the situation.

"What you're asking is we employ Schollatha Tactics here. The complete and utter destruction of Vitruvion's enemies." The Demon had a brilliant military mind. His mind was already thinking about how they would destroy their target. "The financial destruction and ruin I shall leave to your capable hands. But the clan itself...to the man. I will destroy that with my OWN HANDS." Thoughts of his enemy, Jake, once again haunted him. I have to grow stronger, I have to test myself. Only then can I someday kill Overlord Zieg. And become Overlord myself. Nosdyn took another pull of the drink in his goblet. "The drink is good. I've not tasted one quite like it." Nosdyn said calmly.

Legend

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    She listened to him, drinking in the stories of his culture and life. When she heard that he had been forced to take his own father's life, Stare felt a pang of sorrow. Looking down she could not bring herself to face Nosdyn for a while, realising now that they did have their differences. She had lost her father, brothers and mother, yes, but not by her own hands. Only by the wicked ones of fate.

"I am sorry for your loss," she told him softly. "And I am sorry you have to do this without your true will. If it helps I will try to find the page in the book to entirely release you ... Vitruvion is smart. He will be able to decipher it."

She paused, rubbing her hand through the feathers at the crest of her head before sighing, and deigning it time to look back up. Carefully her eyes sought Nosdyn's behind his mask.

"You will still get paid, but if you honestly don't want to be here, I would prefer to know. My ... Master. He wants you to help and I will not be able to release you until I get permission but it kills me to know that you are here not of your own will. That woman at the bar," she leant forwards.

"Who was she? The one with the blue hair? Do you know anything about her? Also," she paused a while, thinking.

Did she really want to promise something she could not keep? Really and honestly, despite her best intentions? For, at the end of all days she was adherent to Vitruvion. He was her true patron, her god for all things realistically and exceptionally. She could not deny him his power. So therefore, knowing what she did, being who she was, could she give this?

Honestly, truly, fully?

Fuck it. I will deal with the consequences.

Suddenly standing, she knocked into the table as she quickly got to her feet. Frustrated with it all, with everything, she slammed her goblet down. A gasp belonging to Mrs Deerling came from the kitchen, along with a stunned face appearing from the doorway.

But Stare ignored it.

"I promise to help you. Find your retribution. On my tail feathers, I promise this." And she held out a clawed hand to him. "But for it, I ask you agree to work with me on this. We will fell the Heysans together, and then destroy your enemy, in time. I cannot promise now, but I can promise later. And I also promise to do it when we are not bonded by your stupid contract ...

Do you agree?"

Legend

GP

Name
    ~Nosdyn Krotar~
    Race
    ~Old Soldier~

View Profile
    Nosdyn carefully considered the situation. "If not for The Contract of my people we would never have met." Nosdyn said calmly, a certain momentary shadow passed across his face. "The Contracts are simply laws that bind my people." Nosdyn explained. "As long as I am Bound I will be by your side." Nosdyn stated that as a FACT. He'd already accepted the situation he was in. "The blue haired woman is one of The Boss's colleagues." Nosdyn rubbed his chin calmly. "I've seen her on various jobs before but never interacted with her up until The Contract's forming." Nosdyn was thinking of what else he knew. "She is someone of great influence in The Boss's circle." Nosdyn considered another angle. "I am certain we have not seen the last of her." Nosdyn nodded.

"Thank you Stare for what you are offering. I agree to the conditions of the mission." Nosdyn was deep in thought as he sat there. He'd learned a lot in the past few hours about Stare, Vitruvion and many other matters still. The glow in his eyes are supernatural. Nosdyn thought for a moment as he considered what was Vitruvion's ultimate end-game. PERHAPS...they would coincide with Nosdyn's own goal. And that was to become reigning Overlord someday. I need to defeat Zieg with my own hands in order to become Overlord. Nosdyn further considered his situation. He will not agree to a union of our Houses and he would not give up power so easily...I have to grow stronger.

Nosdyn was beginning to understand the basic role he would fill as part of Vitruvion's ranks. He would be muscle, hired muscled at that...but muscle nonetheless. Nosdyn took a pull of the drink in his goblet and thought about the games that The Thaynehood and other pantheons of Gods played in general. Though Nosdyn had very little knowledge of The Thayne Codex, he would make it a point to learn. "Does Vitruvion have a personal library here on the grounds?" Nosdyn suddenly asked. "When we return from defeating The Heysans...I would like to take a look at certain manuals if they are present in those shelves." Nosdyn figured that Vitruvion would have tremendous knowledge of The Thayne Codex. Even N'Jal.

Nosdyn had never been one for small talk, he was a man of action. But even he could have hobbies...of sorts. He was also curious if they had the means to increase his own understanding of his Demonic heritage. He was growing a particular affinity to the powers of Fear specifically. Which would someday make him a very dangerous individual. Nosdyn grabbed a few snacks and looked out one of the nearby windows. "We should attack the enemy when the hour grows dark. There will be less guards patrolling." Nosdyn was becoming serious. It was almost go time.

Legend

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Stare looked at him a while, observing the way he watched out of the windows. Tilting her head she observed the demon that she felt an affinity for and let silence fall for a few moments. She considered all he had said - his confession about the woman working for his 'Boss,' his acknowledgement of the contract he was under, his agreement to the promise. Through them all, through all the words he had actually so far, she felt a sense of pride and control within him. Slowly she stood, hands sliding around the hilts of her daggers on her belt and she nodded.

"If you wish to go now, then we will. I wondered, however, if you wished to rest ... but I am guessing you do not. If you come with me I can show you a map of the city and where we are headed ... if that is agreeable?"

Pausing for a moment she waited for him to look back at her and then she twisted away to begin walking. Out of the servants mess and into a small corridor that connected to a set of stairs that led up to the main floor of the manor. The much more formal area, where Vitruvion spent all of his time and her most, organising and governing the various projects in the city from this aristocratic hall. As they strode they passed by many a panelled wall and elegant candle fixture, which grew more and more elaborate as they gained to the finer rooms. Once out of the next small hallway at the top of the stairs they came to a massive dining room that truly was, obviously, the formal eating hall for Vitruvion and his guests. Portraits hung on the walls - a series of six of all the same man, who did not change through a hundred years despite the difference in styles. In some he wore military attire, in others he had sigils that paraded his nobility. But overall the pose and the atmosphere surrounding him was the same.

Proud. Strong. Focused. Unconquerable.

"The library is huge," she said, gesturing to the far end of the room, where a great wall bearing three of the portraits was. "Certainly you can use it later. But what we can use now is here."

She turned to the chestnut wood table, with carved lion-feet legs and scalloped edging. The table was currently empty, save for several large rolls of parchment that she had laid out well before even heading out to the pub, all in the prospect of hiring someone for this plan. The papers were several large maps, including one of the wider area of Raiaera, and then a close up of the city, showing all the small streets of Beinost along with words that depicted out their various sectors.

Walking over to it she pressed a finger down. "We are currently here," she began to explain to Nosdyn, "And we want to get here," she prodded to another house, on a street a good few blocks away. "Here are his offices," again she moved her hand, "And here is his daughter's palace, but we should likely leave her alone ..."

She dragged out another map that showed various plans of buildings. "His office and his house. You should maybe get to know it as well as I do," she said, stepping back and letting the demon in.

He wants to go now, she quietly said in her head.

There was a pause. Then Vitruvion replied. No rest? She could feel him frown, and received an image of him leafing through the book. Wait. Say this, and he gave her a few words in a deep gargling tongue.

She frowned. What ... what does that mean?

Does it matter? he asked.

Yes, if we are to get our - your revenge on the Heysans.

She felt him tense, but he seemed to acknowledge her point. It is our revenge, my dear, he said with a tone of bitterness. But I was telling you a word to let him go. He is useful, but he is filling your head with ideas. I did not give you permission to make the promise that you did.

Stare watched Nosdyn gaze at the map, her eyes large. But - but we are so close.

You practically disobeyed me!

That is my problem, not his, she argued back. You cannot let him do yet. Just because he is determined, just because I actually have potentially made a friend. Do not you think you control enough things in my life?

Vitruvion was silent for a long while. His brooding anger could be felt at the back of her mind like an oncoming storm. Rumbling, threatening.

I made the promise because I wanted to. She said quietly. I, not he. He is more useful to you under control, is he not?

The god leant back in his large chair and nodded slowly. You are to make no more promises with him. True, if I gave him back his freedom now, he would forget everything here ... but you knew that already.

I know enough of magic, she replied with a note of distaste.

And you don't want him to forget you.

She did not answer to that. He waited a moment longer, then agreed.

Fine, keep your friend for now, we will discuss the issue of your promise to him later. Complete the distruction of the Heysans, and we will evaluate his usefulness then again. For now, Stare ... he gave the image to her of him looking utterly serious. Do not go making promises without me.

And then the picture of him faded, as did the feel of his presence. But she knew he was still there.

Looking up to Nosdyn she approached the demon and held out a hand. "Shall we go then?" she asked gently.
    Last edited by Philomel; 10-17-2017 at 05:21 PM.

Legend

GP

Name
    ~Nosdyn Krotar~
    Race
    ~Old Soldier~

View Profile
    "There." Nosdyn suddenly said.

He pointed to a structure that had the most vulnerabilities on the maps he was seeing. "We will infiltrate from that point." Nosdyn noticed that Stare had gone quiet for a time. But he did not question her, he merely allowed the silence to become all-encompassing. Nosdyn was studying the maps, carefully making mental notes of structures, weak points, integrity situation. The daughter would be left alone so he was not even seeing the structure that contained the Heysans' daughter. He would let her live.

The thoughts on his mind were those of a soldier fighting a war.

He studied the maps for a moment longer memorizing where they would potentially need to take escape routes should the mission go south. He was mainly concerned for Stare's safety over his own. "We need to secure an escape route. Just in case." Nosdyn did not doubt their capacity to succeed, he'd caused a LOT of people a LOT of damage on a similar scale. Images of his enemy, Jake, flashed in his mind for a moment and that burning building that had collapsed practically on his head. His hatred of Jake had kept him alive that time. She spoke at that point and Nosdyn nodded.

Nosdyn was aware that Stare was a mysterious woman that had some considerable skill levels.

He did not know the extend of her power however...he could only guess at it. "Stare...before we head to the enemy's House..." Nosdyn had a plan. "We will need torches, or some way to cause fires." Nosdyn was determined to utterly DESTROY their enemy. He'd studied the structures, simple Raiaera design that was not immune to fire's touch. He was willing to destroy everything that the man they were going to face owned. But he needed to be certain it could be done.

Already, his mind was acting quickly.

Planning, making strategies and tactics.

Nosdyn was a Demon fighting for the other side, and he was about to unleash his fury upon a new enemy.

Thaynes help all who got in their way...

Legend

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Slowly Stare nodded, agreeing with him entirely, but the weight of Vitruvion's words still on her shoulders. She had managed to persuade him this time - this once she had reasoned with the god and managed to gain power over his considerations.

To parley with such a man was mythical, for some they had not considered such a thing even possible in their lifetimes. Yes, he had given a warning - to not make promises without consulting him again - but he had also told her that she would need to break the one she had forged with Nosdyn.

Truly, she did not want to. Truly, she wanted to keep him as a friend, even if he was, in part, coerced into aiding her through magics ancient.

Gently she took his hand and led him out of the large dining room. Twelve eyes stared condemning from the multiple portraits of her patron. It came to her mind that he had no other family, besides Ventrua, here on Althanas, and so, compared to other larger noble houses, he had no one to share kin with. Thus, in other houses where generations of family would adorn the walls, Vitruvion had just his own self. His own history, his own life, with Ventura merely as a passing visitor.

"We can use these," Stare said, leading Nosdyn into a vast marble hall. Four huge pillars held up the ceiling and an elegant staircase angled away to a second floor. She was opening a cupboard, just near the door they had come through, and taking out a series of odd looking objects that were in fact just very fancy tinderboxes.

"That and ..." She held out some long sticks of thin wood. "We use these to light the candleabras here. Hopefully they will do." She slipped some of them into a pouch at her belt. "Can you ... Do magic at all by the way? I'm just thinking it might be useful."

She lastly brought out a jar that had no label and placed this, without describing it, in her bag.

"I think that is all we need?"

Legend

GP

Name
    ~Nosdyn Krotar~
    Race
    ~Old Soldier~

View Profile
    Nosdyn thought about that for a moment or two.

Then he tapped his head for a moment. "I have an interesting power, yes. But I would have to do it to interrogate only certain of The Heysans." He also tapped the long haft of his majestic weapon. And nodded after that. "And I have that." Nosdyn said carefully. "I will honour our bargain and his daughter will be left alone." Nosdyn confirmed that. He was a Demon of his word. That much had always been true. He stood there calmly and looked around. The thought of having access to a grand library if they should win the day, excited Nosdyn for a moment or two. But that would be his reward for hard work.

Nosdyn nodded once more. He looked at the map. "Simple Raiaera structures." Nosdyn said carefully. "We will attack from the point I suggested. Unless you have a better point of infiltration. Then we will make our ways to this point, set fires along the structures as we go. I can weaken structural integrity with my weapon." Nosdyn said. If worse came to worse, he would bring The Heysan house crumbling down upon all of them. He knew from past experience that he could survive such acts. The Surface Dwellers...will not be prepared for our retribution. Nosdyn considered what Stare had said. "One more thing Stare, when we are in there stay close to me so I can protect you easier." Nosdyn honoured his commitment to Stare, contract or not.

He did not doubt the Kenku's power, but it would be easier to protect her if he could see her. That much was certain...squad mates were loyal to squad mates. That was true even in The Tular Plains. Nosdyn carefully considered if everything was in order, then gathered his belongings. "Let's be on our way...Destiny awaits." Nosdyn said, with a little more emotion than he meant to actually show.