Level completed: 0%,
    EXP required for next Level: 0

GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod

Without You [Mature]

[This thread contains mature violent and sexual themes, reader discretion is advised.]

“Wait,” she said, her words a whispered promise.

McKinely Parish took a deep breath and straightened her spine, drawing the cherrywood violin up beneath her chin.

She plucked a single shimmering note, a tremor of sound that rolled outward as it undulated, long and mournfully beautiful. She bent her elbow and applied the bow, and made her instrument sing.

Breaker sat back and closed his eyes, losing himself in the melodious rhythm. Kinley was as skilled a musician as he’d ever had the privilege of listening to, and he felt honored for the private shows she gave him. The notes meandered out and around the little cottage, which had recently been reinforced with some significant armoring. In truth, it looked almost as much like a bunker as a cottage, but Kinley had still kept it homey. Nothing could make the evening better… except of course, the fine Alerian scotch Josh had chilling in the kitchen.

He mimed drinking and Kinley nodded around her playing, continuing the fluid motions that produced the beautiful music. The notes rose and fell like waves, swelling and waning like the tide. It reminded Breaker of his goddess Am’aleh, and her aqueous realm. He no longer yearned for her touch as he once had. He had grown stronger, and with that strength his devotion to his mortal lover had rekindled.

The floorboards creaked as he paced out of the living room and down the hallway, the music swelling behind him. He stepped into the kitchen where Nymeria, Kinley’s calico direwolf, slept beneath the table, her legs and snout spilling out from opposite sides. He chuckled at the sight, and then pulled his scotch out of the icebox and fixed two glasses with a splash of water each.

There was a sharp note from the other room, followed by a brief silence, and then the music resumed.

“Don’t be too hard on yourself doll,” Breaker called over his shoulder. He knew she beat herself up for the smallest mistakes. “You’re playing beautifully tonight.”

He paused on his way out of the kitchen to scritch the wolf beneath her chin, resulting in a sleepy foot thumping on the floor. Nymeria rolled halfway out from under the table, still asleep, her tongue lolling out of her mouth at a ludicrous angle.

Josh chuckled again. “Kinley,” he called, “come in here, you’ll want to see this.”

The violin music continued uninterrupted.

“Kinley?”

He felt the mana-residue as he moved back into the living room, and knew what had happened before he saw.

The violin and bow hovered in place where Kinley had held them, playing as they had been magically charmed to do. The residue of another, stronger spell lingered - a portal, going potentially anywhere on Althanas.

Breaker set the scotch down carefully on an end table, his heart thundering, his sweat cold.

Someone had captured McKinley.
    Last edited by Breaker; 07-10-2018 at 09:44 PM.

Adventurer

EXP: 5,090, Level: 3
    Level completed: 3%, EXP required for next Level: 3,910
    Level completed: 3%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,910

GP

Name
    McKinley JoAnne Parish
    McKinley had been playing, her fingers moving across the wooden neck fluidly. Joshua had begged for a private show, one that he often got. She always gave into him too easily, this time she had held her ground longer then most times.

Her bow weaved across the iron cords with skill. Her elbow rose and dipped with the notes. The low sultry ones blended beautifully with the high shrill ones. McKinley’s music always started out with sorrow and sadness. It was where she came from and how she took a liking to music. Like opening Pandora’s box it all just flowed out of her.

“Don’t scream,” she heard a rough voice whisper close to her ear before she was ripped backwards. Her violin fell from her hands and just as she was sure it was going to collide with the ground it floated. Quickly it picked back up where she had left off.

A rough hand covered her mouth as she felt the sting of a cold blade pressed against her throat. Everything screamed in McKinley to fight, thrash, do something, anything but just as it is easy for her to slide her bow across the strings of her violin it would be easy for him to slice her throat.

“Hurry out the door quick,” another voice behind hissed.

With nothing but her lovers shirt on to shield her from the cool outside the wind licked at her bare legs. The small redhead stumbled, trying to keep up with her captor. Wait, be smart. McKinley thought to herself, she allowed herself to be taken farther and farther from her home, her sanctuary.

“The portal, the portal! We are far enough into the woods. Do it now!” The man that held the knife firmly to her throat whispered fiercely.

In Front of McKinley’s bright eyes it was as if the universe was ripped open. The silhouette of the trees were replaced with a dimly lit room. Panic grasped hold of her heart as she realized this was her moment to get away. With all the force she could muster the petite redhead picked up her foot and slammed her heel down on to her assailant. In that same moment she thrusted her head back cracking it against the man’s nose.

She felt the cold metal dig into her flesh slightly, she yelped feeling the warm stickiness of her own blood. Kinley pushed herself as far away from the man as she could before trying to run.

One, two, three, four!

The redhead counted the steps as she took them. Just as Hope crept into her it was snatch away as she wrenched back by her hair. She yelled out in pain and shock as she was thrown like a rag doll through the portal. Her frail form collided with the cold cobblestone floor with a thud.

McKinley groaned, rolling herself away from the portal as she tried to crawl towards the only door she spotted in the poorly lit room. The sound of heavy boots rushing towards her made her panic. “You stupid whore! You broke my nose!”

THWACK!

His boot connected to her stomach. The force behind the kick sent her rolling across the floor until her back met a wall. She choked, trying to force air in and out of her lungs. Hot tears sprang to life down her cheeks, her fingernails dug into the stone floor.

“Enough!” A deep voice boomed, filling the small room.

“She isn’t to be harmed, much.” The disembodied voice said, Kinley could tell by the tone of his voice he was grinning like a mad loone.

A man with a large bushy black beard crouched down into her blurred vision. His large fingers tangled themselves in her fiery mane as he used it to heave her up. Her toes dangled, barely grazing the floor.

“Your lover is going to pay for taking our Thayne, Draconus from us!” His laughter filled the room, taunting her.

upon the cheek of night

EXP: 224,444, Level: 20
    Level completed: 0%, EXP required for next Level: 0

GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod
    “Who d’you think could have taken her?” Jake Narmolanya asked, his wiry arms folded across his narrow chest. The one-eyed half elf stood in the center of Kinley’s living room, staring at the violin laying on the table and sniffing the air. He had a knack for portals and a nose for their residues.

“That’s the problem,” Breaker said. “It could be almost anyone who managed to put together the coin for a professional team. Or it could be a highly trained cadre of some sort. Either way, they didn’t leave any clues except the spells, and I didn’t hear a thing.” He balled his fists in frustration and looked around for something, anything that they might have left behind.

“You said they portalled her right out of here, right?” Jake asked, sniffing the air again.

“I assumed so,” Breaker replied, “why?”

“I don’t think they did,” the half elf replied. “C’mon, let’s take a look out the back door.” He led the way down the hall.

“If they’d gone out this way, I would have heard them.” Breaker insisted.

“Unless they were that good,” Jake pointed out. “You always used to tell me to expect the impossible from my enemies. Well?” He opened the door and bent double, moving slowly out onto the grass. “Look, see, the ground here is all scuffed.” He flourished a hand and conjured a ball of flame to illuminate the soil.

“That could have been caused at any time,” Breaker pointed out.

“Just humor me,” Jake said, leading the way out into the darkness. “Let’s say they ran more or less a straight line out the back door, toward the trees.” He scampered off, and Josh raced after him, easily keeping pace. Jake slowed as they neared the treeline, its limbs reaching out like skeletal arms. “Ha!” Jake exclaimed. He bent down again. “Look, fresh blood. She must have fought back.”

“She knows how,” Josh mused, “but that could just as easily be her blood.”

“Stay positive,” Jake replied. “I can sense the outgoing portal residue. They probably came out here out of fear that you’d detect it opening inside.”

“Can you trace it?” Josh asked, desperation in his voice.

“Yeh,” Jake replied, rubbing his hands together. “Give me about twenty minutes to figure everything out, and then I should have a location for you. Where are you going?” He asked.

“To get Kinley some things,” Breaker replied as he stalked back toward the cottage. “She was barely dressed when they took her.”

“You don’t think-” Jake said.

“I’m thinking positive.” Breaker interrupted.

Adventurer

GP

Name
    McKinley JoAnne Parish
    They had tied her to a wall like an animal. Her lip was now swollen and split. After the man with the bushy beard taunted her, she spat right in his face. It was the most disrespectful thing she could think of so she did it. His free hand that was easily the size of half of her face, came across with a force that snapped her head to the side.

“You fucking whore!” He shouted, his own spittle landing on McKinley’s now crimson face.

The fiery redhead hung, her feet barely dangling off the ground. She tried to focus not on the pain of her probably broken ribs, punctured ear drum or split lip but the men.

How many, count, listen.. She thought to herself.

The room was so poorly lit that McKinley had to strain her eyes to see. One, two, three.. maybe four… She could make out the silhouettes of bodies but couldn’t be for certain how many.

“We need to move her,” one of the black masses grumbled.

“Yes, he can track the portal you decided to make, Rowan!” Another growled with frustration.

“Shut up!” The voice that belonged to the man with the bushy beard demanded.

He must be in charge. He keeps giving them commands and they seem to listen for the most part. The petite woman tried to take a deep breath but the wheezing and the fiery pain in her ribs sent her into a coughing fit. The taste of her coppery blood filled her mouth as she spat it onto the ground.

Her actions drew the attention of the group of men. McKinley’s frail body was impregnated with fear as she stiffened. The group slowly moved towards her, one by one they circled around her. The man with the bushy beard was tall and looked kind of like a lumberjack. His shoulders broad but sported a belly. His eyes wandered her almost naked form, a glint of greed-lust shown in the dark depths.

“Tell me, what do you think your beloved fighter is doing right now?”

The man moved in closer, closing the gap between the two. At first he just stared at her, his beady little eyes bore into her. Slowly he moved his hand to where he had just struck her. A few digits ran across her cheek, down her neck, unhurriedly he let his hand move across her and down her round breast.

“Don’t touch me you pig!” She snarled at him.

Crying out in pain as he gripped her delicately curved waist. He drew her closer to him, her feet completely off the ground now. Her wrist screamed in protest as he made her flesh rub against the ropes. The skin already raw from her moving and straining herself.

“Easy Carter,” a man behind him placed a calming hand on his shoulder.

Gradually, one by one his fingers released her and she hit the wall with a soft thud. She groaned at the pain and allowed her head to hang for a moment. She took soft, shallow breaths. Little by little she lifted her head and looked at this so called guy named Carter.

“Joshua, Thayne slayer, my lover is going to kick your asses.”

THWACK!

upon the cheek of night

EXP: 224,444, Level: 20
    Level completed: 0%, EXP required for next Level: 0

GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod
    “Where did they go?”

Breaker had returned to the fringe of the woods where Jake waited, a tiny backpack belonging to McKinley on his shoulder. It contained some clothing, and a sheathed dagger taken from her undergarment drawer. Just in case she required a weapon.

“Not far, actually.” Jake said, surprise in his tone. He was still down on all fours, examining the ground. He stood up and dusted dirt from his hands. “My best guess would be they’re either in or around Gisela, or else somewhere near the fringe of Underwood. I can’t get you there though - without knowing exactly where I’m going I could end up taking us to the middle of the ocean.”

“Not a problem,” Josh said, “I’ve picked up some new tricks recently. Having an approximate range should be enough” He closed his eyes and let his need for McKinley guide him. He turned blindly and took a greatstep through miles of space, teleporting as close to her familiar energy as he could place himself.

Schwooom!

He appeared inside the darkened building in a rush of air. He smelled blood, and saw ropes dangling limply from the stone wall.

Too late - no!

The sound of scuffling feet reached him from the next room. He turned and kicked the barred door of its hinges, dashing through to see a small group of men forcing Kinley through a portal into another darkened room.

“Release her!” He commanded them, his voice striking each man like a leather whip. They were stern in their resolve; though they hesitated they continued on their task. The stuffed Kinley through the portal.

Breaker shrugged off Kinley’s backpack and hurled it at the last man through the portal. It struck him with a muffled whump and enough force to knock him sideways as the portal slid shut.

“No! Get away from me!” The man screamed as Breaker approached him, metal boots ringing on the stone floor. “You cannot touch me, demi-Thayne! I am twice blessed, by the salt and by the sand. I am immune to your powers! I am-grrggleshk!” His words became garbled as Breaker picked him up by the throat.

The demigod slammed the thin, wasted little man up against the wall and then down onto the ground. The kidnapper lay still for a moment, stunned by the swiftness of the movement.

“Where have they taken her?” Breaker demanded, his voice thunderous. “Tell me!”

It was clear the small man had a stronger will than most. The long slender scar on his temple shifted as he swallowed.

“I ‘aint tellin’ yew anything, Thayneslayer. Giving you information is comparable to heresy.”

“Oh is it?” Breaker asked. He gripped the man’s pinkie finger and snapped it sideways, eliciting a scream from his skinny throat. “Let’s have little talk about who your god is.”

Adventurer

GP

Name
    McKinley JoAnne Parish
    After Carter’s large fist connected with McKinley’s already battered face things became hazy. She was in the realm of half way unconscious and seeing and hearing things as if she was under water. Her captors, the group of them all stumbled about collecting things. Their muffled voices blended together like a large wave crashing over her.

“Wh-what’s goin on?” She heard herself mumble. Her voice slurred as if she had had to much spring mead to drink. No one stopped or paid attention to her question. The sound of shuffling boots was her only answer.

McKinley felt someone grasp her arm just below where her wrist were bound with rope. She groaned softly as their grip was not gentle with her frail body. Once the ropes were released she felt herself falling, right before she was going to hit the ground someone caught her.

Her raw, bleeding wrist stung as the cool, wet air hit them. She hissed, in one of her eyes the vision was starting to become more clear but in the other she could hardly force it open. She was certain that Carter, the bastard he was had clocked her right in the left eye.

Two sets of strong hands roughly gripped each arm as she stumble, trying to force herself to walk. Her face grimaced with pain as the two men didn’t take it slow. From the room she was once in, into another.

“Hurry, make the damn portal!” The bearded ringleader hissed.

Just as space and time were ripped open in front of her she heard it, or felt him; her savior. “Joshua…” She breathed life into his name.

McKinley struggled weakly as the Thayne slayer himself busted into the room. Splinters of wood confettied the room as she tried to pull away from her captors. The sound of his strong voice made a hope swell in her chest.

[I]NO! NO! Don’t let them take me! Not again![\I]

The petite redhead was shoved through the portal rough. She fell forward landing on her knees. She cried out in pain, the impact of the fall jarring her tattered self.

This room just like the other dimly light, the light from one single gas lantern barely reached each corner of the small prison. The cobblestone floor was wet and gritty like sand. A small whisper that sounded like it came from a wounded animal parted McKinley’s split, swollen lip.

“Get the bitch up, tie her to the bed, legs and arms.”

The redhead tried to crawl away, her already scraped knees buckling under her. “No! STOP!” She hollered as loud as she could. A few of the men chuckled as her feeble attempt to sound intimidating others snorted or scoffed.

In one swift motion she was picked up and tossed like a rag doll on to a small cot. A loud cry came from her, tears flooded her eyes and cheeks as she tried to breathe. Her ribs and lungs felt as if someone had set them ablaze. She gasped for air, gulping it, trying to breathe. Her legs tied to the bottom side of the cot her hands the top.

McKinley’s body trembled as the cold and pain consumed her. “Hur-r-y, Jo-s-h-ua.”