Level completed: 0%, EXP required for next Level: 0
    Level completed: 0%,
    EXP required for next Level: 0

GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod
    With the ice blocking out the wind and rain and my body heating the cramped interior, the cave became almost snug over time. The catgirl and I stay cuddled together, although there was barely space for any other position. Her question lingered in my mind as I listened to the rain patter on the rock overhead. The rainstorm was like countless tiny needles, numbing the ground below to all sensation.

“If you truly wish to know,” I said at last, “I will… try… to tell you. It makes a good story at least, even if you will not respect it.”

I felt her shift in my arms. Her voice became quiet, a soft whisper. “It's not that I don't respect shit. I just… don't want to..” there was a pause in her words and I felt her hair tickle the underside of my chin as she shook her head. “Don't put yourself out for my sake.” Whatever she had planned to say, she had chosen not to share.

I sighed. After a single night in the nekojin’s company, I already knew better than to expect her to willingly ask for what she wanted. Since I didn’t have access to nipple clamps or a melting candle at that moment, I decided to just tell her.
    “Before Am’aleh, my driving purpose was to become the best martial artist Althanas has ever seen. I became a well known prize fighter and tournament competitor, winning the support of many people across the known world. When she brought me back after the Cell, Ama’leh sought to exploit that. There is no question in my mind that she always meant to use me. She told me as much.

“But things did not unfold as she’d planned. I was not satisfied by the life she envisioned for me, as her champion in the hearts of the masses. One day I… I put on my metal boots and walked into the ocean, to see whether it would swallow me whole or spit me back out. I walked beneath the waves, along the sandy bottom, until my lungs screamed for air. But I would not relent. I wanted the crushing blackness to be my forever.

“It was then that she came to me in her true form… she showed herself to me, made herself vulnerable, even if in the slightest. She buoyed me and my spirits both back to the surface, and we lay together in the waves for the first time. It is not at all like…” I took a deep breath, not wanting to say what we did.

“Imagine if you could gaze directly into the sun. What beauty and secrets hide in its fires? What piece of the everlasting puzzle is so private, it must be kept hidden by a blinding force? Most mortals can only gaze on the stars from afar. But I… I have seen them up close. I have seen Am’aleh in the flesh, or as close to it as she ever comes. I know the truth that is in her heart. She no longer seeks to use me for her own ends…” I peeled a sticky strand of hair off Ayaka’s cheek.

“She wishes to raise me up to Thaynehood, to take my place at her side. Together, that is what we seek.”

EXP: 4,971, Level: 2
    Level completed: 99%, EXP required for next Level: 29
    Level completed: 99%,
    EXP required for next Level: 29

GP

Name
    Ayaka yoko
    Race
    Halfbreed Nekojin

View Profile
    She was quiet. She never expected him to admit he had wanted to off himself. That had hit a little close to home. Ayaka never dealt well with this sort of thing. Emotions, sentimentality… It Just never bode well for her.

“So my sight isn't shoddy. You're becoming a Thayne.” she hummed against his skin. “Hmmm I'd give it five years, tops. Before you go ascend and be with her or whatever.”

She gently patted his chest, an awkward form of comfort. “Then you can fuck her starlit form as much as you want. Eh?” Damn Ayaka thays not how you comfort someone.

He merely shook his head.

“How's about when I get home, I'll get all the shrine maidens to pay homage to Amaloo. Think that'll calm her tiddies?”

Strike two Ayaka, really not the best at this comfort thing.

“I’m sure she would be honored by any worship.” Breaker replied.

Ayaka snorted, “could do a few rounds of prayer for you too.” she added. “ya know since you're gonna be a Thayne one day. You could work on having your own champions or what have you.”

Yup. Strike three for three. Ayaka comfort, do not recommend.

“I don’t like to get too far ahead of myself,” Josh said, “but when I’ve ascended, I’ll be sure to keep you in mind as an acolyte.”

“Didn't you hear? I'd be a terrible acolyte. The only thing I look out for is myself.” Ayaka shut her eyes. “For the record though. You may just prove me wrong when I say all Thaynes are pussies.”

She pressed her head further into his form, lapping up his warmth like a newborn kitten. Damn now that she was warm, she didn't realize how fucking tired she was. Ayaka didn't like feeling vulnerable. She didn't like having to rely on someone else. But hell, she was only mortal. Unlike her present company.

Would it matter so much if she just indulged in someone else like this just once?

He seemed to detect the wave of fatigue that had struck her. His hand cupped her head against his shoulder, petting her softly behind the ears.

“Rest now,” he said, “you can tell me what a fucking idiot I am when you wake, louder and with more energy.” She gave a snort in response. Damn fucking right she would.

She'd tell him he was an idiot for opening up to her and being all sentimental. She'd tell him he was an idiot for not grabbing warmer clothes or blankets for her earlier. For leaving the carriage unattended.

And for saving her life, which meant he was now in big debt with a Thayne.

upon the cheek of night

EXP: 224,444, Level: 20
    Level completed: 0%, EXP required for next Level: 0
    Level completed: 0%,
    EXP required for next Level: 0

GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod
    Even though she was clearly exhausted, it took Ayaka some time to fall asleep in my arms. For awhile she held herself tensely, resisting, but then she collapsed against my support with a soft mewl, her ears folding forwards, her nose twitching. The little cave was not an especially comfortable sleeping quarters, but I resolved to hold her for as long as her breathing stayed steady. She needed rest, and soon she would need food and water. The water part I could help with… food would be trickier. I was no expert forager, and while I could certainly catch game, I lacked the means to do any cooking.

I melted a hole in the ice wall to watch the rain as I listened to Ayaka’s rhythmic breathing. We had not passed any dwellings on our way to the sea, so the next day we would have to gamble and continue following the road in the opposite direction. I would carry the catgirl if necessary, even thought I knew she would fight it. We would find either a home or a cabin or a passing farmer on a cart. There would be something to assist us, something to help get Ayaka where she wanted to go, back home to Akashima.

There was nothing between us, both literally and figuratively. I did not consider her life a debt. I had been to blame for her poisoning in the first place. The only debt existed between Am’aleh and myself. I knew not what my goddess would ask in return, only that a favor would be required… and a great one at that.

The rain swelled, spatters coming in the window I had opened, and I sealed it up lest it should strike the catgirl and wake her.

Even if she felt that she owed me her life, in truth it was the other way around. I owed her her life, for I had almost taken it. She was my responsibility… and I would do whatever it took to see her safely back onto her path.

She had a crass manner and tongue, but also a strong spirit and matching skillset. I did not doubt that Ayaka’s notion of a debt between us would become an exploitable resource at some point in the future. And so I held her, beneath the rocks, beneath the rain.

Viator Mundi

EXP: 155,108, Level: 17
    Level completed: 18%, EXP required for next Level: 14,892
    Level completed: 18%,
    EXP required for next Level: 14,892

GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Telgradian

View Profile
    Breaker receives 1760 EXP and 95 GP!