EXP: 8,146, Level: 3
    Level completed: 79%, EXP required for next Level: 854
    Level completed: 79%,
    EXP required for next Level: 854

GP

Name
    Charles Rivers
    mature content from here but not explicit
    Her full name was Regina del Kant. She was the daughter of a human philosopher and his devoted wife. In the early years of their marriage they had emigrated to the Tular plains to better get away from the world and seek a place that might fit more to their ideals. Truth and justice were his base morals, and they worked hard daily to gain what they could and live a pleasant life. With a small allotment they settled near a particularly rambunctious entrance that led to an underworld, and learned a variety of different things from the voices they heard both during the day and in their sleep.

These were whispers of power and secrets, that had teachings of alternative philosophies. They fit their personal attitudes to life, and the del Kants became more satisfied. They had a small family after some time, raising their children with beliefs in that people got what they deserved, that karma was a divine truth, and that the only true political path was anarchy. Crime was but a name, if you were murdered it was because you were an idiot. People could be good, if there were no rules for them to fight against, because rules were there to constrain. Laws were but limits placed by those in power to control their underlings. Animals were not born to be under sentient beings, but rather could choose to serve. There was a definite to the universe, and it began and ended with how much power you had.

It was into this lonely family that Regina was born and raised. When she came to the age of five her parents took her to the local mouth of hell and bid her to pray. Regina did, asking for the divine being who could teach her the right ways to use herself. Morningstar himself then stepped from that underworld entrance and offered her and her parents a deal: if Regina would be in his service for the whole of her life, he would teach her everything he knew, and protect her family from other ultimate powers.

It was a deal apparently worth taking.

“So you have been here since you were five?” I asked, surprised.

Regina nodded, a smile on her face. “Indeed. It is like a small family on staff here, we are each a part of a greater machine.”

“Are there any of you that are here not because you wanted to be?” I slowly chewed the meat that was in my mouth, watching this anarchist devotee of my brother, who was little more than an indentured servant but was entirely willing to be.

“There are ones that are here … maybe because their parents failed in a deal they made with Lord Morningstar, and the agreed price was their child, or that they themselves were in the wrong place at the wrong time … we have very few laws here, one of them is no slavery so he pays them so ... You'll be punished, but only if you defy him.”

There was something in her words that were beginning to make sense. Whether it was Morningstar himself who had first laid down the philosophy of punishment where it was due, or the culture had been created around his power and near worship, was not clear, but it was clear something he himself lived by. I had been offered everything you needed in life, according to these individuals here. Morningstar had offered me a place at his side, and I had defied him. Me being held here was simply raw justice at work. It was nothing to do, really, with the fact there was a drow student, somewhere, scurrying to find the keys to my freedom. It was simply down to the issue that I openly had fought his influence several times, and was now facing the consequences.

Amused at the thought of it all, knowing it was predictable of my brother to have encouraged this way of thinking, I smiled, and leant back in my chair, observing the intellectual resting on the bed.

“So I'm here because I deserve it,” I grunted, as I speared a sprout.

Regina shrugged a little. “You cannot be killed for it, and Lord Morningstar favours you too much. He wishes you to serve him, you refused, and so he must control and punish you. Clearly.”

Perfect and simple logic.

Some would call Regina brainwashed at this point, but I knew that she had come to these conclusions entirely by herself. There was a fire and an intelligence within her that I found intriguing and - dare I say it - attractive. I would not lie to myself and pretend that I did not find this young woman intriguing to the point that my desire rose. Despite the fact she had made her mind up for the base morality of her life, and therefore conversation would be limited, I knew that I could spend hours in her company, speaking over the finer details of permanence, speculate the existence of how other worlds developed in a more disproportionate structure, and what mortality actually meant …

Had Morningstar deliberately chosen her to bring my meal, knowing that I would find her so?

“So what do you think of me?” I found myself asking, interested. “With the issue that I refused my brother, and still do?”

Regina blinked. “Well you refused the offer of the being whose opinions I hold above all others, the one whom I regard as the closest to a god that I can get to, and the base moral guidance for my life …” she bit her lip, then grinned. “You are intelligent and strong, Sir Charles. You are wrong, but you have your reasons for being wrong. Perhaps time here will re-educate you.”

“I've been alive since near the beginning of time,” I shrugged. “It will take far more than your lifetime to change the entire way I see life.”

“Well then,” she leant forwards, eyes dancing with amusement. “You'll just have to stay here forever.”

I laughed, looking at my food, but not because I had disbelief in what she said. Rather, I knew perfectly that there was a high chance of this happening again after Ayna brought my notes on the Great Calamity, and my theories on how I could assist with saving the world as we faced a second. Potentially, Morningstar would come get me the next day because of some new whim, rather than act on our deal. Power was very definitely on his side of the equation in out relationship. He had not forced me yet to resign entirely from my teaching, but there would be some method that meant he could.

“We will see,” I replied.

And Regina grinned delightfully, leaning to her feet. She began towards me, fire in her eyes. In that moment all ideas of a potential flirtation with Ayna died. Student and teacher had never been my want anyway, and despite what the drow wanted, my attraction was centered elsewhere. Of course, this could very easily be another plan by Morningstar to bring me over to his side - that I had to remain aware of. As Regina came close, and her legs bumped against my knees I found myself smiling and shaking my head in absolute disbelief at the absurdity of what she was doing and what was happening.

Gently she plucked the fork from my fingers. I let her, entirely open to possibilities at this point, but my own will as iron. Stretching over me she allowed her plump breasts to hang at my eye height as she placed the fork back onto the tray of food I had now mostly finished, and her hair brushed my flesh.

“Aren't I your enemy?” I asked, putting my head to the side. “A punished barbarian, who refuses to serve your great and powerful overlord?”

“Oh you are far from a barbarian,” she kept her eyes gazing into mine as she slid to stand right before me, moving a hand to place it on the back of my chair. “You're just wrong.”

“Ah, common misconception,” I agreed, my chest rising and falling as my heart hammered hard.

With her spare hand she touched the inner thigh of my leg. I found myself not resisting, and rather stayed absolutely still - aside from lifting a hand to gesture at the door. “Privacy might be preferable.”

“Hmm,” she considered it for a moment, before she leaned up a little, raising her voice and looking at the door. “Fallon?”

There came a grunt and a face of an orc appeared in the grill. As he saw the position we were in his eyes blinked a couple of times in surprise and his jaw fell.

“Ehhh … is that … allowed?”

“His lordship said nothing against it,” she replied with a shrug. It still did not entirely answer the question of if Morningstar had sent her to me with the intention of this attraction building, but it did make me feel better in knowing it was not an order to flirt with me. “So … it not disallowed. Close the grill would you, dear, and not listen?”

The orc stared for a moment more, stunned, before he nodded awkwardly. “Yeah … sure. Sure.” And he lifted a hand. There was a sliding sound as a cover was drawn across the grill, hiding him from view.

Regina let out a satisfied sigh. She took a moment before focusing back on me.

“Now,” she said, “you.”
    Last edited by Philomel; 09-25-2018 at 08:10 AM.

Althanian

GP

Name
    Charles Rivers
    “What the fuck do you mean I 'should not’ go in? He is my brother, and this is my court.”

“Um, yes my lord but …”

I blinked awake, the noise alerting me to the reality of the universe. Quickly I became aware and glanced around the room, noting the fact I was still in my little cell. As I did and as the voices outside became even more irate the memories of the night before came back to me.

My breath caught in my chest as I glanced down at myself. Regina's naked form was elegantly laid against mine, her lower half hidden by the bed’s blanket. Her eyes were closed, still sleeping, and her hair was thrown back, loose, to reveal her full face. My right arm was still around her, relaxingly holding her to me as apparently I had been all through our rest, and I myself was fully in the nude. A small, satisfied grin came to my face as I ran a hand through my hair, and over the long ridge that was my left horn, remembering every last detail.

“What the fuck are you mumbling about, idiot?!”

My eyes moved to the door. There was only one being who spoke like that here, and that was he who was lord and master of everything and everyone here - aside from me. Even of my new attraction.

A thud sounded against the door. It was only a matter of time until Fallon the orc guard gave us up or Morningstar charged through himself. With little to see in terms of clothes - they had been left on the other side of the room - I did the next best thing I could a kind grabbed the edge of the blanket at our waists. As I moved myself gingerly up into a seated position, I pulled the blanket up to Regina's shoulder and my abdomen. There was about two seconds of time as I adjusted myself and ensured Regina's decency before the bolt was drawn on the door and it was thrown violently open.

It crashed against the wall. With my brows raised I stared straight at it, looking at the furious figure of my brother who had been refused entry. His skin was flecked flaming crimson, his eyes were pits of fire, and his hair rose around his horns like a demonic halo. It took all of a single moment for his jaw to drop as Fallon's had and for all the pieces of the puzzle to fall into place.

Slowly he straightened, eyes flickering from me to the gorgeous creature beside me. Pausing, he took it in, his mind calculating before a small smile came to his face. Neither of us said nothing, as he visibly relaxed. Slightly, he nodded.

Beside me, Regina began to stir, making a small moan. I gestured to her and said quietly, “privacy for a moment?”

He grunted once, and leaned to grasp the door handle. He pulled it closed, the grill still drawn across as I waited for Regina.

“Noise,” she moaned grumpily as she began to open her eyes.

“Indeed,” I replied. “Unpleasant noise, but it is of significance.”

“What is that?” she yawned a little and blinked as she gazed up at me. A small smile came to her when I came into view.

“My brother is outside.”

The smile immediately vanished. Suddenly starting she gasped as she began to sit up, clutching at the blanket and eyes rapidly searching for her clothing. Agreeing with her I moved onto my knees and pointed at the chair.

“Has he …”

“He decided to intrude,” I nodded, “rudely. But I had enough time to … ensure our dignity.”

Althanian

GP

Name
    Charles Rivers
    She sighed a huge sigh of relief, and slid of the bed to run and grab her dress. Hectically, she began to pull it on. “Damn, I am going to be ridiculously late. I was supposed to help in the kitchens at breakfast.”

“It'll be fine,” I assured her, taking up trousers.

“Having sex is not an excuse for tardiness.”

“Not even with the lord's exciting new prisoner?” I watched as she began to button up the back of her dress. Turning around to me she held her hair out of the way. There were the remaining top few buttons spare.

“Please.”

With my brow raised, I obliged.

Then she let her hair drop and turned to me. She paused, a smile on her face. “I'm not sure. But I will say I was not disappointed.”

“Of last night?” I asked. And she nodded, curling her hands together. Slowly nodding myself, I spoke words of genuine meaning. “Neither was I.”

She grinned then, and leant forwards. “Then I'll see you again. Soon,” she darted in to kiss my cheek. “Maybe I'll ask his lordship to keep you here for my sake.”

I laughed a little, knowing it was entirely plausible, and she skipped back. She gave me a small wave as she walked forward and grasped the door handle.

It opened. My brother was standing outside, arms folded and brow raised. Quickly she descended into a low red-cheeked curtsey to him before scurrying away. There were the sounds of her happiness in the footsteps.
    Patiently, with a smile that was both guilty and not, I waited for him. After a moment he grunted before moving into the room. I could not see Fallon as the door closed unaided behind him.

“So,” he spoke carefully, “that I was not expecting to happen so fast.”

“I wondered if it was by your design,” I folded my arms as I leant against the back wall.

“It was a brief consideration of the matter that you might find each other's company pleasing but …” he smiled slowly. “It was not my entire plan. It might have not happened.”

“Indeed,” I agreed, “I am assuming by that then you have no issue.”

“Oh no brother,” he shook his head. “Rather, I will look to encourage it. Regina is entirely loyal to me. This gives me more power over you.”

It was entirely true, and I had known it from the outset. I watched him as he strode to my chair and placed himself into it.

Althanian

GP

Name
    Charles Rivers
    “So. I guess the student is of no longer any romantic interest?”

“She never was on my part,” I replied, my smile fading. “I am a professional.”

“I see,” he paused. “She is here.”

My mouth fell open in surprise. The timing could not have been anymore comedic.

“She came?” I breathed.

“You had not expected her to?” Morningstar looked at me, intrigued.

“I thought there was a possibility that you would go back and take her memories away,” I answered. “That way, have her break her side of the deal and have an excuse to keep me here. But …”

He shrugged. “The thought past my mind. But then I realised what might be discovered with your research thus far might be worth entreating.”

I said nothing, as nothing needed to be said. My heart thumped, knowing Ayna was somewhere in this building, but not knowing if Morningstar would allow us to meet. I did not even know if he would commit to his side of the bargain and let me go, or make up some new excuse to keep me here.

After a pause he focused on me again.

“Of course, she wants to see you,” he grimly sighed. “I have made her wait. I took time to read what you have researched thus far, and I can say I am not disappointed. You are a worthy cause for my attention.”

“Our original deal still can stand,” I answered him, a serious look in my eyes. “You let me live my life, and I will attribute the larger victories I have in saving the world to you.” I nodded at him.

He pursed his lips, frowning a little. “But the situation is not ideal. Where you are, with this little irritant of a student knowing things … and even if I did erase her memories, she would still be a distraction. Clearly, she has an eye for you, and I do not care for any individuals who would possibly cause upset to any of my employees.”

I blinked, eyebrows rising. He was concerned for Regina's happiness here.

“Regina and I -”

“Oh brother, I am encouraging this spark for all my worth,” he grinned, “Regina is loyal to me, and I know you as the honourable sort of man who will not intentionally hurt her, because of your high 'morals’.”

I tightened my jaw. I knew from the outset that there was a definite chance of him claiming an avenue to power when Regina had first risen from her seat. But with the fact that I was already potentially his eternal prisoner there had been more reasons for.

“You're right,” I replied quietly, “I won't deliberately hurt her in any way.”

“Indeed, and that volatile little thing upstairs -”

“Wait, back in my office you seemed to be interested in employing Ayna on a long term basis,” I interrupted him, holding up a hand, confused, “now you are calling her 'irritating’?”

“She is far too much of a … loose thread. Highly emotional,” he said as if he was eating something sour. “Far too so. I do not like her.”

Althanian

GP

Name
    Charles Rivers
    I sighed. It meant Ayna's memories would be going. Losing memories was never a pleasant for the victim. And she had spent at least a day whilst I had been here as she attempted to find the information to gain my freedom.

“She refuses to leave unless she sees you,” he scowled.

“That usually is hardly of an issue for you,” I replied.

He nodded, “that is true. Yet …” He looked right at me. “You still refuse to swear fealty to me?”

I blinked. “Entirely.”

Morningstar grunted. “Then technically I have fresh right to keep you here longer but …” he stood. “A new deal. Firstly, Alerar is no longer a valid place for your abode. Not with that Ayna girl.

I want you to move city.”

“Move city?” I questioned, very surprised.

It was not something I had expected. But it made sense, when one put Regina and Ayna into the concern. My brother was right - Ayna was capricious, a measurement within the equation that was subject to risk and change. Naturally, he preferred my affection towards another creature, and that was someone under his command. One night was of course nothing to garner a fully fledged future upon, but with his willingness behind it I was sure we would be encouraged beyond death. My staying within the university within Ettermire would be subject to possible persuasions in other romantic directions, despite my hesitations in terms of a student-professor relationship.

But there was more than that, there was an alteration of focus for my life. No longer was I to be a full time professor, but instead I had to spend a larger portion of the time on researching into histories and legends to formulate plans for the future. Time would also be required for acting upon those plans also. My current position required my full time attention for my students. A change of city meant a change of jobs, and with that I could gain a better situation of more hours in which to work upon Morningstar's plans.

“And if refuse?” I asked, knowing the answer even as the words left my mouth.

He gestured to the room we were currently in. “You get comfortable.”

I nodded slowly, looking at the ground as I considered. “Do you have a city in mind? I used to work in Akashima, but that is not possible.”

“The young woman. Yes,” he nodded slowly, “when I was initially following your trail to find you I discovered that story. No, that is not ideal.” He paused. “I have a number of followers in Radasanth of Corone, Etheria of Alerar, Eluriand and Tor Elythis of Raiaera.”

“So ideally, any of them,” I grunted.

He nodded. “If you have no preference, I can choose.”

I was silent for a moment, before I nodded, “fine. I move. If you get me a job in a university I will move.”

“I will manage to find you something suitable,” he waved a hand.

“Morningstar, I need the resources of a university. Not just for your project, for my own desires,” I stared at him.

He pursed his lips, but then tightly nodded. “Fine. Anything … off, however, and you know where you will end up.”

“Back in this delightful hole,” I dryly replied, and I breathed slowly.

It was not ideal in the slightest this life. I had spent ten delightful years of nobody ruling over my existence, and then Morningstar showed up. He was not the worst, and now working with him came with a potential new girlfriend. The last serious relationship I had had had been with another man's wife, namely the Queen of Death herself. This time my attachment would be with a servant of my own brother.

I leant away from the wall, rolling back my shoulders. “Take care of Ayna. Do not take away too much.”

He stood as I moved, unfolding his arms. “You may see her before I work. It would be useful to have her take your resignation letter.”

“I need to clean out my office,” I said, leaning down to pick up my discarded shirt.

“That is being taken care of as we speak,” Morningstar grinned at me.

Pausing, I looked at him, narrowing my eyes. So. He had only asked me out of courtesy. His plan had already been to have me move, despite asking me and leaning it open to negotiation. “So you were … you are honestly a bastard, you know that.”

“As I have been told,” he replied, pulling himself to his full height. “Now, do you want to see her or shall I tell her that you refuse?”

“I'll see her,” I sighed, pulling on my shirt. “Just to get it clear, I do not work for you, Morningstar. I work for myself, I am a free man, who happens to be coerced into a few days of being held prisoner by his own brother once in a while.”

“Yes, brother, I do know that. Hence why all of this is so necessary,” he gestured around the room.

For a moment I glared at him more before moving to the desk. Grabbing a piece of paper I took up pen and ink and wrote the most elaborate resignation letter I had ever scribed.

Althanian

GP

Name
    Charles Rivers
    I discovered that the cells were accessible via a staircase at the end of the corridor, that wound its way with straight lines, perpendicular continuations and multiple landings. It ascended to two floors - first a lively, bustling world of servants and staff. I had a brief glimpse, and received a couple of curious looks from people as they saw me led upstairs. The next floor opened onto a large room, grand and filled with bookcases. I started to stare, and even stepped towards them when a tug on my wrists brought me back to reality.

At the end of the chain connected to my delightful manacles was Morningstar, gesturing towards a door set between shelves. Grunting, I turned away from the books for now and allowed myself to be led away from the room of delights. The door opened onto the vast white hall that was his throne room, just into the shadows of the space beyond the pillars that held up the marvellous, structured roof. At one end of the throne room was a set of double doors, and at the other was a dais with an ornate oaken throne set upon it. It was near this dais that a young drow paced, worry written clear into her face.

As soon as she saw me and my captor emerge from the darkness, her face lit up like a beacon. Softly, I sighed, knowing what fate was about to befall her, and to some degree regretting my decisions thus far. But it was what it was.

Rolling back my shoulders I set about readying myself for saying goodbye to that portion of my life. It was, in a way, what Ayna represented - my short lived freedom years. Now I was back to similar to how life had been at the beginning of the universe, except then I had been entirely accepting of what my purpose had been. Serving another was not on my agenda anymore, especially my younger brother, but currently there was no way to avoid him.

“It would be kinder to make it short,” he muttered to me as we drew to a halt a few metres from her. Then he threw Ayna a delightful smile before gesturing behind him. “Here he is, as you requested.”

“You said he could be free when I brought you what you needed.”

“Technically I said he would rot in his cell until you did,” he shrugged, “but … indeed.” And he waved a hand. The chain melted away into the same light dust that began to rise into the air, then blinked out of existence. From tip to manacles it drifted away, and then when they reached my wrist the golden-tinted metal there began to float into the near heavens also. I wrung my wrists, breathing deep with the appreciation.

“You have five minutes,” he said as he twisted away to stride up towards his throne.

Rolling back my shoulders I took full calculation of my power currently residing in my body that both the cell I was in and the manacles magically constrained me from using. Raising my palm upwards I pulled on the thriving energy in my body and formed a neat ball of black energy in my hand.

“Professor?”

Looking around I saw her worried expression. My lips pursed for a moment before I forced a smile for the person whom soon would only remember me as that intelligent, suave professor of a niche subject. I let the power die out.

“I'll be fine,” I said kindly to her. “Honest. My brother is a megalomaniac, it just takes some negotiation.”

“Sir, you were … maybe are still a prisoner!”

Still? Despite the manacles I was still in his halls. Technically he had followed his work and just freed me, but when Ayna was gone all was predictable.

“Indeed,” gently, I smiled. “It is not the first time, however, anything like this has happened.”

It was far from the first time.

Firmly I fixed her with a look. “Ayna, I am leaving my job at the university and moving city.”

Her eyes widened, “what?”

“I am hardly favourable right now with the amount of time I have taken off. I have a resignation letter that I have already penned.”

“Where will you go?” she asked, quietly, her lips trembling.

I paused, and smiled a little. “Tor Elythis,” I decided in that moment.

She pulled in a sharp breath, acknowledging the city in Raiaera, her enemy country. Despite the fact I ran my own risk of not being accepted because I looked akin to a tiefling, I would fair as well as I did anywhere else. I was no drow walking into this new life; I was simply a being associated with the hells.

“I see,” she said.

And a second benefit to my choosing that island city crammed onto a rock, where sky knights roamed as swift as the wind. Ayna would not be able to follow me there - at least there was less of a risk of her doing so than if I had chosen to remain in Alerar, or gone to Radasanth.

“Indeed,” I nodded, and then stepped back to generously bow to her. “I wish you a pleasant life, Miss Ayna.”

Her cheeks sparked crimson, and hastily she curtseyed. “And to you, Professor Rivers.”

“Take care of yourself,” I said gently, and I turned back around. I saw my brother observing me, purse lipped.

Subtly he gestured back the way I had come. I looked over and saw the doorway open, leading right back towards my cell. His eyes were bright with warning about my power.

So. It had been for show. I was still not entirely free.

Rolling back my shoulders I gave him a small nod and twisted to start heading in that direction. I went through the door and entered into his library. A slow grin spread across my face and my scholarly desires began to burn. Glancing back to him I saw him begin to rise from his seat and start towards Ayna. It meant I had time.

Thus I straightened, rolled up the sleeve of my shirt, and began to browse.

Althanian

GP

Name
    Charles Rivers
    By the time fifteen minutes had passed and a small, polite cough came from behind me I had a stack of five books in my arms. There he stood, eyebrows raised, resplendent in his scarlet and black robes, and I just smiled, raising a hand in a wave.

“Nice collection you have here, Morn.”

He breathed in slowly, and began over to me. “You claim I am predictable, but you are more so yourself.”

“Depends what you were expecting, really,” I shrugged, as I plucked a last book from a shelf without looking at it much. Placing it on the pile I waited until he was fully over.

His eyes darted to the books, scanning the titles. I had gone for philosophy and history, focusing on my current personal project of the worship of the Thayne Jomil, and the wider concepts of moral heroism that would gain insight into how best to save the world in a dramatic manner. Naturally I let him see the titles. They were his property and any man's library was his personal home.

After a moment he looked back into my eyes. “Tor Elythis?”

“Problem with it?” I asked, blinking. “It was one of the ones you cited.”

“No problem,” he shook his head, “just unusual. I would have chosen Radasanth.”

“Call me boring but I have done the island of Corone. Might as well experience the high elven kin now.”

He inclined his head and pulled himself to his fullest height. “Nothing else has changed however. You still refuse to serve me, therefore when you stay here, you are controlled.”

I watched as his arm extended and he gestured towards the back door. For a moment I paused, knowing I was unbound, and that meant capable of magic. When one compared my power to his, however, who still held part of it in hostage. With a grunt I pushed away from the shelves and started in the direction he proposed, now though with more books in my possession, and that meant more knowledge. And knowledge is power.

At least my form of power.

Morningstar kept close behind me as I descended the stairs. As we came to the floor busy with offices and staff, I gained a few odd looks, as well as a smile. Only for a single second did I pause to look down it before Morningstar poked at my ribs and I was walking down again. Carefully I went, so as not to drop the books, and came to the dungeons of his mighty castle. I sighed slightly as we passed the empty rooms, each one of them bare and without portion. The door to my small current home stood wide and I strode into it with a moment's hesitation.

Behind me the door closed, and the glittering of the barrier spell once more settled over my being. I tried my best to ignore the pricking sensation as I went to lay the books on the table and all settled as it was before.

“So much for my freedom in exchange for her information,” I said.

He replied from the other side of the door. “You had freedom. Briefly - you could have attempted escape.”

“'Attempted,’” I quoted.

He smiled, showing off sharpened canines. “But you had technical freedom. Then, quite willingly walked in it, so in a way you gave it up yourself, Char.” I threw him a look, and he continued. “Now we settle your choice of city, you have nowhere to stay but here. It will be but a few days as I organise you an occupation.”

A few days. I huffed, and swung myself down into the chair. It creaked beneath me as I grumpily lounged. After a moment I raised my palm upwards and attempted to pool magical energy into it. It came directly from Khaos itself, that which I had been born from. Nothing occurred, however, and I sighed as my short stint of having my old powers back.

“Morningstar,” I murmured.

He answered. “What?”

“I am moving city because you asked. I want more of my power back.” I said it with my back to him as I stared down at my palm.

He breathed in slowly. “I will consider it.”

“No,” I disagreed, lifting up my gaze. I twisted around to stare at him. “I know you. That is akin to a refusal. You could leave me be, Morningstar, allow me to live my life as normal, but you yourself are choosing to continue this fight. I would be more than happy to be left alone. I have spent far too many millennia under the influence of one being. This will not be the same.”

He pursed his lips, narrowing his eyes. “I could keep you here for the rest of eternity.”

“Indeed you could, yet it still won't change my loyalty to ultimately, my own wellbeing and myself. It will only make me refuse to give you what I can. I've done the years of being at another's beck and call. The only way of have me so would be to physically control my mind. Do you actually want to do that?”

He folded his arms and glared at me. His response was apparent.

“Exactly,” I replied. Making me lose my mind would be not having my willingness. The very issue that he only had willing servants, and not slaves or indentured, except my their own volition, said a lot about him. He wanted as many beings under him as possible, but all of whom had entreated themselves from their own hearts.

“Give me back more of my power,” I said, facing him fully now as I rose from my chair. “And I will be far more capable of facing the impending apocalypse. My research is clearly useful to you, you have so much yourself. You want to keep our deal going - then allow me this.”

“I do not trust you,” he curled his lip.

“Yes, hence this wonderful construct of hospitality,” I gestured around me. “And neither do I trust you. Currently, you happen to be more powerful of either of us, and thus the situation is as it is.”

He straightened. “Then I simply need to make certain that you have limited power.”

I smiled, slightly. He sounded so much like himself. Wanting to be the powerful one, he who was in charge.

“If I grant you the gift of more of your power then I want to make sure you fully understand,” he came as close to the bars as he could without looking as an idiot. Those bright eyes glowed as he spoke. “Whenever you are here then I will do everything I deem necessary in order to limit those powers. I tell you to come down here and live, and you do it. This is my home, my kingdom.”

“If it was my way, I would not be here at all, anytime,” I raised my eyebrow back.

“You are far more useful under my control than not,” he remarked with a shrug. “Despite your lack of enthusiasm for my service, you are not the most … resistant of our siblings I have kept here.”

Althanian

GP

Name
    Charles Rivers
    I blinked. “Who have you had here?”

“I made the very terrible mistake of investing in Nemesis,” he curled his lip.

I found myself snorting with laughter. Nemesis was our brother who was not called that for nothing. He was the personification of vendettas, spearheading god against another, made in order that ultimate justice would be served, even for deities. An eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth. Nemesis had taken on the personality to such a degree, and used his power of persuasion so much over the years that no less than sixteen wars, three dragon assaults, five key assassinations and thirty six other significant crimes that altered points in local or global history could be attributed to him. If ‘mercurial’ and 'volatile’ had a face, they were Nemesis. Trying to persuade him to serve Morningstar must have been near impossible.

“So I'm easier,” I concluded, with a smile. Morningstar nodded once.

I paused for a moment. “Well I cannot exactly fight your abilities … yet,” I replied to his earlier query. “You're that eager for me to be controlled …”

“When you are here,” he specified.

“You mean when you kidnap me and bring me here,” I answered.

Morningstar grinned a little. “Indeed.”

For a moment I was silent. Then I spoke my thoughts. “I still need the time to work. To live my life. You simply taking me from that on a whim because you are bored or some other weak agenda …”

“You want legitimate excuses?” He nodded. “Fine. Right now, is 'I am rearranging your life and need you where I can see you’ good enough?”

Leaning back against the table I focused on him. “I would not say so.”

“I am keeping you here whilst I change your future. Moving you to Tor Elythis is something of a complex nature, but it will serve me well as somewhere I can both locate you easily and efficiently. You chose the city, that is a freedom in itself, and I am giving you the courtesy of organising your belongings for you, and transporting them without any worries on your part.”

It was just like him to make something inconvenient sound generous. Slightly I rolled my eyes but I did not comment. Instead I looked down at the floor briefly, as I breathed out. I had gotten so close to freedom today, and had tasted it, but within less than an hour I was now back in here. My guarantee that he would let me go at all was based on my usefulness to him beyond these four walls. Yes, I was was here for a few more days, but as he said, that was only as he altered my life.

I rubbed my temples as I sighed. Then I waved a hand. “Fine. How many days here?”

“Three or four?” he suggested. “What do you mean 'fine’?”

“'Fine’, that when I am here I will be more … negotiable. You give me more power, I live within your suggested boundaries - and beyond it when I need to.” He sucked in his breath and I stared. “I'm not yours Morningstar. I never will be. Those people out there,” I gesture roughly to the corridor, “are. Get used to that.”

“Well you better get used to this room,” he growled, “you’ll be a long term visitor.”

“I will move city, as I said. You will give me more power, and I will continue to negotiate how to get your name more,” I waved a hand randomly, “famous. That is our deal.”

He scowled in deep distaste.

“And if I break my end of the deal. I fail to succeed in any way of achieving greatness in your name,” I shrugged.

“You swear fealty to me,” his eyes glowed.

“... No,” I replied slowly, “but I will come here myself, and you can hold me for however long you deem reasonable.”

“I can do that anyway,” he grunted.

“But are you really going to keep those threats when we have hardly tried as yet? When my research has definitely been veering towards the positive. You have said so yourself.”

Scowling deep he turned away, but there was agreement already in his eyes. Folding his arms he stared at the wall for some time before hissing a reply.

“When you leave here, I will grant you more of your power. You will live, however, in an area that I suggest.”

I nodded, that was possible.

“Four days,” he hissed as he leant away from the door and stood tall. Part of his forehead disappeared from my sight.

Four days. Then my life would begin again. A new chapter, both for my life and my future. One where I would be able to hold various freedoms, those which had been denied for me, but also where there would be constraints. I turned my back on him and went towards the bed, grabbing a book as I went.

“Char …”

“See you in four days then,” I waved a hand at him.

Althanian

GP

Name
    Charles Rivers
    “So … the whole court is alive with the news.”

I lifted up my eyes from the book I had been reading for the last four hours, and saw her angelic face in the grill. 'Queen’ her name meant, and though her position as a laundry and kitchen assistant did not equate her to that level at all, she both held her opinion and held herself in that way. For a moment I tried resisting, but then a small smile flickered onto my lips.

It did not take me long to realise what she spoke of. Between Morningstar leaving me and my reading there had been some hours. A new accord had been struck between us - one that sung of a new arrangement. Even though it was still favourable to him, I had gained new ground in succeeding to having him agreeing to my gaining back more of my power. That, after all, was one of the parts to my plan of freedom; my magical power, and gaining him to the heights of legend.

“We have some more of an understanding of where we are situated, yes,” I nodded, slowly closing the book.

Regina paused, before she raised her eyebrow. “And he spoke to me alone, saying that he encourages whatever this becomes.”

She did not gesture or look in a meaningful way, but I knew what she was referring to. This. Us. A woman I could look in the eye and give her as much respect as she gave me, yet still have a wealth of subjects in which to disagree and debate upon.

“Well it depends if you are coming in or staying there,” I replied, tilting my head, watching her.

Did I really want a relationship with this woman? Indeed, I liked her. Massively, despite our differences in opinion. She was smart, funny, bright and bold. But she also worked for the man who wanted to have a hold over my life. A man who was also desiring Regina and I to be connected beyond anything. This was just another hook that he would have in me.

But then who else, seriously, would I have? And this had barely even begun. As I mused the door opened quickly, and Regina stepped in, her long black hair swaying with her short and sharp movements. She shut the door as fast as she could, peering through the grill before the orc Fallon came. The guard grunted, and slid the locks home, sealing me within, alongside her.

Then he closed the grill, this time without a second’s hesitancy.

My answer was there before me as this time she walked straight over, a shimmer in her eyes. “He has said you are here for four days.”

“That means five,” I replied, watching her as she came to stand directly in front of me at the edge of the bed.

“That suits me fine,” she shrugged. “You?”

I blinked for a moment, before I leant back against the bedstead. “What would your parents think of you, dating me?”

“They would be delighted, for it is within Lord Morningstar's pleasure,” she answered almost directly. “And mine. What would your parents say?”

My lips curled into a smile. “I have but a single parent, and that is Khaos, the void or creation and destruction. From it I stepped as a being of Order, along with all my siblings.” I paused. “I am older than Morningstar by the way. Technically he's my younger brother.”

“Then I am honoured to be offered this opportunity to … date you,” she said, and I inhale a quick breath at the word. So she was designating it already in something more than just sex. “Even though you are a barbarian, deserving of every punishment.”

“Easy on the compliments,” I said, as I reached for the book. “Can you …” I gestured to the desk behind her. Pausing a moment Regina curled her fingers around the book. Her eyes remained on mine, breaking only briefly to lean back and shift the book from the bed to elsewhere.

Now leaving the bed free. She spun back, and smiled pleasantly.

“What do you say?” she asked.

I paused, “what are you asking?”

“To 'us’?”

I had not had a relationship since the Queen of Death. Sephora was the one woman in my life whom I had fully invested in a race with, placing in my heart and my physical well-being. She could have told her husband about us at any moment, and we only ended it when she got pregnant.

Truly, I still did not know the father of that darling princess. But I had left that to time. She was better, after all, being raised in a world where everyone supposed she was a pure blood royal, through the King as her father. I was but the Ferryman, a servant.

And here I was the enemy. But wanted. And there would be no way of easily escaping Morningstar's clutches over the foreseeable future. First, I would need to gain my power back, and secondly, I would need to make him the hero he had always dreamed of being.

I shrugged, looking right at her. “Whyever not.”

Hero

GP

Name
    Garron Ivari Cadeyrn
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Thread Title: An Alternative Method For Gaining A Girlfriend
    Type: Basic Rewards

Professor Charles receives:

EXP= 2000
    GP= 300

Rewards to be added soon.
    "My life is simple, my food is plain, and my quarters are uncluttered. In all things, I have sought clarity. I face the troubles and problems of life and death willingly. Virtue, integrity and courage are my priorities. I can be approached, but never pushed; befriended but never coerced; killed but never shamed."