Level completed: 55%,
    EXP required for next Level: 7,350

GP

Name
    Philomel van der Aart (+ Veridian)
    Race
    Faun (+ Fox/Earth Spirit)

View Profile
    Less than two minutes later and they were out of the building.

The glow that had been appearing through Philomel's wall was a flame. One that highlighted the shadowy figure of a would-be murderer across her path. Not wanting in any way to make herself reknown here, and despite having enough weaponry to hold down a fort, Philomel had not killed anyone. Instead she had picked up the few belongings that she and Veridian had with them and followed Mr Mushi from the okiya. Outside, waiting for them was an exhausted-looking Sakura.

"They usually riot on a weekend," she said, as if trying to explain herself, "Never a weekday, like today. Mr Mushi always makes sure he is beyond the city walls, so that he does not get caught up in the violence."

"Do your people tend to bottle up their anger over time and then release it so suddenly?" Philomel asked, meaning it mostly as a sarcastic comment.

Surprisingly, Sakura nodded. "Oh yes. It is just what they do. And with the food shortage - well. We have to be careful."

"Food shortage?"

The geisha grabbed her hand and pulled her fast, beginning to run as fire licked up from a side ally. A man with a huge traditional yari began running down there, his face painted with black lines. His head was covered in a warrior's helmet while the rest of him was in normal clothes, and thus the faun considered this rather amusing for a moment. That was, until she realised he was there to kill them. And so, she grimaced, swept up Veridian and ran with Sakura as fast as her pregnant belly could allow.

"But you are a geisha," she yelled to Sakura, "Why are you coming with us?"

"I choose to entertain Mr Mushi, an international trader," Sakura shouted back, "And they do not like that. So every month I just have to make myself scarce."

"Do they usually set things on fire?"

Sakura shook her head, dodging around a narrow corner as Mr Mushi did, the man being just ahead. Less artistically Philomel dodged around also. "No, I suspect it has something to do with a wild foreign ship though that recently docked here. Apparently they tried to badly and raucously advertise themselves as a sea-bound brothel." The geisha rolled her eyes. "Clearly those sailors had no idea what they were doing. They did not know how suspicious Akashimans can be."

Philomel glanced to Veridian, wincing a little. Ah, she thought, I think we may have caused this.

Did not cause it, he replied, his legs hanging as he was tucked under her arm, But certainly your mother has made it worse.

~*~

Legend

EXP: 127,650, Level: 15
    Level completed: 55%, EXP required for next Level: 7,350

GP

Name
    Race

View Profile
    Wildly, the wind buffetted the sails while below the waves slammed against the wooden hull. Thunderous drums, like those of a death parade by a forest tribe, were resplendent, shaking the structure and the hearts of those inside the ship. Over the deck the odd figure scrambled, ducking in and out of the lightening strikes, their forms cowered over to avoid the spitting, striking rain that fell like hammer blows. No gulls flew overhead - they had all departed before the storm hit - and in some ways this was nature merely relating the emotions that had been felt in the city the ship had departed from.

The Bonzai sailed with uncertainity, rolling in the waves and making little headway. Despite a full wind the forces of the storm had kept her within a similar place for five days now, the progress they made always been shunted back by another fierce gust. This meant that so far a week had passed but they had barely gone more than five miles away from the Corone coast, that cruel nature being the thing that prevented them from escaping the city that hated them, but also the thing that stopped anyone from sailing out to meet them. A strong anchor and an experienced crew did mean that any leaks were dealt with swiftly and any threats were solved without any hindrance - but it had been long now. Supplies of spare wood, rope and other repair materials were getting low, as well as the possibility of an outbreak of disease due to the stagnant water. This mean that one passenger had to stay much out of the way of others, for fear that she might make the foetus in her belly sick also.

Doubled over, arms folded over her swollen belly and head as low as it could go, Philomel sat in the lower catacombs of the ship. She had holed herself up in her cabin at the beginning of the tempest, hiding from all others, knowing that she could not be any more help than panic. Truly she trusted the sailors aboard - one brief look to the crew and she had seen the experience in the sterness of their faces, the determination in their eyes. It was the same looks that she saw in her own crew of her own ship, the Feisty Fox. Being a skilled sailor she could have assisted in some way, but the fact that she had an extra burden meant it was wise to stay behind. It became Veridian's duty to run between corridors and ladders, finding what food he could and providing the comfort she needed.

Another acidic feeling and Philomel grabbed the wooden bucket beside her. As the ship lurched her stomach lurched too, and the small dinner she had consumed ended up as a stinking, discoloured mess. Wrinkling her nose she made noises of distaste, but was cut off as yet more decided to launch itself. Tears sprouting from the corners of her eyes she moaned, clutching her stomach and wishing it could be over. Glancing down at her hand she saw it was shaking slightly, but thought nothing of it. A weak body was what she could expect with all this nausea.

A huge wave slapped the side of the sea vessel. With a groan, Philomel was flung back against the wall of her room, the crate she saw on slipping slightly from under her. It reminded her for the hundreth time that she should ask about getting it bolted down. But who had the time on this boat to possibly come to her and assist. Grinding her teeth together she told herself to pull herself together and stood, uneasily, to her hooves, balancing as great creaks ran up the structure. As another bout of sickness came over her and she just managed to get the vomit into the bucket, the faun staggered over to the hammock, stretched from huge iron mount to another. A footfall and she practically fell into it, moaning loud.

Quietly a face, made up of a red muzzle and a white jaw, poked its way around the doorway. The scraping of claws could be heard as he clutched onto the floorboards beneath him. He blinked, watching her sink deep into the comfort of the hammock, took a moment, then turned and left. Tail wagging he went back to the kitchen to find yet more water that might bring her comfort.

In this horror of a storm.

~*~
    Last edited by Philomel; 09-08-2017 at 08:03 AM.

Legend

GP

Name
    Race

View Profile
    Two weeks later they finally made it to the Skara Brae shore.

Stumbling out of the ship, Philomel van der Aart through the merchant Mister Mushi a pouchful of coin, wordlessly. Without ceremony or discourse. She barely even looked at him, simply her desire to get onto land was her driving force. It was wrong for a woman so burdened with another life to have to struggle with a storm or illness as she had. Thus, she did not thank or really acknowledge the man who had taken her from the dangerous Akashima and traversed the sea for her. Instead she gave him what she owed, and more, in the form of a glorious-sounding bag of coin.

With her possessions all in a bundle beneath her arm the faun moved onto the jetty. It beat out a rhythym beneath her hooves, drumming back a steady tune like her heartbeat. For steady was her pace, continuous was her movements, encouraging her body onwards onto true lands. Surviving on instinct was she just now, holding herself together with little more than will. Weakness was in her bones, her muscles and her flesh, but pride was there also, knowing many eyes were on her. Thus, she kept striding, swollen belly before, small fox to the back and a mixture of weaponry and fabrics shoved beneath her arm. The only paying guest of the Bonzai left with dignity and ego, despite all that had gone on, giving them enough gold in payment to replace all that they had lost in the voyage.

Thump, thump, went she down the wooden jetty, and onto the cobbled street of the small harbour village there. She knew eyes were on her, she knew the pressure behind her. She knew they knew something of who she was, and what she represented, but they still knew her as this mystery pregnant faun. Thus, the mystery would keep on, and the mighty stories would live, of the woman who was not seen in a storm, save to stride out on three occasions, look like she knew exactly what to do, fix something, and then stride back away to hide below deck - scowling like she hated the weather and had only come to check on it.

Strength, reputation and image was what made the Matriarch of the Gilded Lily so respected, and even now, she was not going to let that fail. Thus, on she kept, going with full steps and a head held high, barely holding on but hiding it. Last drains of energy, last reserves of willpower, yet she knew those people. She had sailed for three weeks with them, and tales always spread. Moving boldly she went on, a picture of dignity, right up until the doors of the public house right at the harbour's edge. Into that door she went, siezing the handle with purpose, and disappearing inside.

Only to stand there, take one look at the matron at the bar, then burst into tears and sink to the floor.

Legend

GP

Name
    Race

View Profile
    She awoke to the sound of sea birds calling to the sky. Their ragged, but melodic, single-note caws filled the air, followed by a short silence and then the sound of dramatic splashes, along with a chorus of whistling wind. Beating wings outside the window, fish washed up on the stoney shore, their wet bodies making slapping noises. These were the resonations that Philomel knew, having grown up near the Radasanthian harbour her whole childhood. All that was missing was the thousand shouts of merchants, warriors and seamen, clamouring for a good position in the lively port.

Cautiously she opened her eyes, and found herself in a small, but comfortable room. Light streamed in through shutters on a small window, and there was the faint smell of frankincense in the air. She lay on a comfortable flat piece - a bed by its feel and as she slowly glanced around, a bed by its looks. Her eyes wandered over to the walls, seeing the oak panels, finished with a shiny sheen, a small chest as a piece of furniture, a closed door, a stool, a chair and -

Someone she had not expected to be there.

Quickly, Philomel sat up, eyes huge. Immediately she discovered it was far too fast and light-headedness, as well as unhappy, unwelcome nausea rose. Swallowing air she tried to relay her surprise as well as overcome the discomfort that was savagely attacking her body.

"Ugh," she mumbled in a thick voice, "Ugh, unh, why are - bleehhhh."

Sakura raised an eyebrow, but smiled, remaining in her straight backed position, her hands clasped elegantly before her. She wore a bright, clean kimono, with the sash tightly pulled and her hair immaculate - as if she had never even been part of the storm. As if she had merely stepped from a quiet road in Akashima, and appeared here in the harbour town. Even her make-up was perfect, with brightly polished geta on her feet.

"How - 'ow - are you," Philomel sucked in more breath and suddenly was forced to bend over as pain rippled through her body. It was her abdomen protesting about the foetus, the stress and the near exhaustion she had forced herself into. As she tightly breathed in the scent of frankincense became familiar again and she peeked out the corner of her eye where she thought the smell was coming from. True enough there was a tiny burner, with the small pale rock burning in a ceramic dish at the top.

"Be still," Sakura's gentle and soft voice said, now moving with her. A warm hand was laid on the faun's shoulder. Comforting, precious. "Mr Mushi has moved on, I elected to stay here when I noticed that there were signs of you struggling. Do not think that I am stupid enough not to have noticed the stenches of vomit coming from your cabin during the voyage."

Philomel curled her lip and looked back at her. She growled, but did not move the geisha's hand, knowing that it was much better Sakura was here, rather than abadoning her. Indeed, it looked like Veridian was not even here right now - just the entertainer.

"Mushi will get you back home," Philomel muttered, "The rioters will have stilled by now."

Sakura shrugged and smiled. "Maybe they have, but it is better to be safe. Besides, getting on the Bonzai was a decision made on a whim, and staying here was too. I might as well assist you in what ways I can."

She leant back, now seeing Philomel was able to hold her own, and allowed the faun to sit up. Resume her pride.

"Unless you have an experienced midwife on hand?"

Legend

GP

Name
    Race

View Profile
    "Experienced?"

"Yes, experienced."

Philomel blinked, before letting out the breath her body needed and forced herself to relax right back.

It was fine. She was safe. Clearly the matron of this inn downstairs had immediately acted when Philomel had fainted. Somehow she had got her up here, and at some point Sakura had come to assist. Likely Veridian had shown them where one of Philomel's six stashes of coin were. Glancing down she saw that her dirty blouse had been removed, and someone had placed it with a cleaner tunic. Aside from that she had no other clothes on. Just the crossed hooves beneath her of her own legs.

"Where is my ...?" she asked, a hand going to her belt.

The question, being unrelated entirely to that which Philomel had asked before, made Sakura pause and be taken aback.

"Your ..." she furrowed her brow for a moment before realising what the gesture meant. "Ah, your luggage you mean? Yes, it is right ..."

She did not get up but she gestured under the bed. With a small strain of her neck Philomel could just peer past the edge of the piece of furniture and spy the end of a sheathed sword poking out the end of a tightly twisted told of material. Nodding once to herself, she looked back up to Sakura and asked another question, still unrelated to the original topic.

"Veridian?"

A pause. "Your kitsune? He is downstairs, apparently trying to order food. Apparently he writes?"

An image, all too familiar, of Veridian with a quill in his mouth, scratching out words on a piece of parchment, however rudimentary, came to Philomel's mind. She nodded.

"Yes, he does. Awful hand though. Seeing as he has only his mouth to do it with."

Sakura blinked. Clearly she had not been expecting an answer like that.

"But he is a fox?"

"He is clever," Philomel shrugged. And offered no further information. Not that he was an earth-spirit, anything. The geisha would simply have to put up with that.

"Right."

Legend

GP

Name
    Race

View Profile
    "So do you know an experienced midwife?"

Dramatic sigh. Honestly couldn't she let it rest?

No, because Philomel still had not actually answered the question, despite it first being asked over an hour ago. Now she was eating on her bed, spooning amounts of bread and salad into her mouth, as well as the occasional chicken piece that Veridian encouraged down her gullet.

Meat is good, he kept saying. Good protein for you and baby.

A baby I won't even be seeing much of, Philomel muttered.

But one that is in you. Eat.

Washing the last mouthful down with a swathe of oragen juice Philomel took time to pause, and then try to think of something to say that would distract from the answer.

"Umm ..."

"Just tell me."

"I have seen birth," Philomel replied.

And indeed she had. She encouraged any whore who wanted to keep their baby to do so, and to take time off work to keep them well and fed. If they wanted to have an abortion, that was fine as well, so long as they used safe methods. The Gilded Lily actually had few laws internally about safe abortion methods, about rights of the father (there were many, unless that father was a rapist ... then he had probably already been murdered by the Gilded Lily) and about responsibilities for oneself and offspring. The fortress itself had face one birth since its establishment, and growing up in a brothel Philomel had witnessed a birth many times. But never had she taken part in one. That was a job for midwives, and the healers. The Gilded Lily had a series of these of these within their ranks, and outwith, who they contacted if needed.

"Yes, but do you have someone responsible on hand to-"

"Alright, fine, I do not," the faun snapped, shoving her plate down on the bed. "I am sort of doing this secretly, in case you did not guess. Away from everyone, even the father. No one can know that I am here. It is a private birth, I plan to do it with Veridian."

Sakura blinked. And her lips twitched upwards in a smile. "You plan to rely on a clever fox to assist in your child's birth?"

Philomel groaned, looking into the sky. The geisha laughed and leant forwards.

"Look, before I was a geisha, I was a midwife. I can help you in your final months, I can assist you and deliver the child. If you do not want my help ... why then send me away. But my help is here, and I am not just here for your money. I am here because it is the right thing to do."

As the silent and slightly stunned faun sat there, staring, the human woman with glossy black hair straightened her back once more.

"So? What do you say?"

~*~
    Last edited by Philomel; 09-11-2017 at 05:04 AM.

Legend

GP

Name
    Race

View Profile
    They headed further inland, the company of them small in number but strong in purpose. Still with all her weapons in tow but with the ability to effectively use them dwindling, Philomel found it easier to keep out of danger rather than actively seek it as she was prone to do. Hence, they travelled by the backroads, and by horseback, quietly and unassumedly. Their clothing was not fine - the nicer things such as Sakura's kimono - they had wrapped away and stored it behind their mounts. Two horses with two bold, strong and cloaked women would be unassuming down the quieter roads of this island. An island Philomel had once hoped to know so very well, but those plans had fallen to nothing.

Erstfort was a minor piece of land that excused itself from the main business of Scara Brae through a narrow sea of water. It was small enough to be thought lesser of, and mountainous enough to only attract the hardiest of individuals. With the majority of the land being wilting, deciduous forest and the only major house being a manor atop the lowest of the hils, Erstfort was a mostly forgotten place which would have been ideal for the beginnings of the Gilded Lily's headquarters. The island was under the regulation and managament of Lord Maramaduke, a baron who was in as many unlawful projects as he was lawful ones. The story went that many years ago, in his youth, he had gotten in debt with the main Scara Brae banks, and from that he had suffered and had to find other ways of earning money - or otherwise be removed from power. Thus, he had sought out irregular ways to make finances meet, and things had simply since then become a tradition more than anything. He had met Philomel one night by the most simple of ways - by hiring her - and the two had gotten talking and ... well.

But that had been another time. Another plan. Marmaduke had broken with Philomel about the project, and the plans about the Gilded Lily's headquarters had come to nothing. Instead, Philomel had managed to improve her ship with the granting of the Pirate King Malachi, and since that day everything had gone easier. It had taken a couple of years after that to establish the beginnings of the idea of the Gilded Lily fortress and now Philomel had her own kingdom.

Yet friendship with Lord Marmaduke had never failed entirely. Though Philomel still felt hurt for his betrayal, she did not blame him. It would have been a risk for him to place in his trust in her to not turn his island into a business that was more successful than his own. Put together. Thus, she kept herself going with pride, contacting him when she needed, and vice versa. He had the need for women to placate those who he angered, she had the need for contacts in Scara Brae, which he could provide in plenty. With his business concentrated on these islands, and hers in Corone their process had become to be beneficial.

And now he agreed for her to hide in this small backwater isle for the last three months of her pregnancy, in a small farmhouse where he entertained those who were not his wife. It would be empty and ready for Philomel and her company to enter and spent their life in peace, until such a time as the Drys-ordained child came.

If only it had been that easy.

~*~

Legend

GP

Name
    Race

View Profile
    They got to the farmhouse in good time. Cosy and warm it was a small but immaculate cottage. Made out of red brick and a similarly coloured mortar it sat amongst two hills that descended into a tight and comfortable valley. A neat garden lay out to the front, which allowed a view out over a larger valley in which the actual farm lay. Stretches of trees and clearings lay beyond, with the fluffy shapes of sheep chewing and moving steadily. Beyond that was a slow decline to the sea, where a stoney beach was made and a small jetty, in a bay that was otherwise walled by cliffs.

A private beach. A private farm. A private world in which to bring a baby to life.

Inside the house there were two floors. A kitchen to the back, with all the standards of a contemporary home. A long stone worktop. A huge basin for water and an interior pump-tap. A series of containers for all sorts of food and the finest, most modern Aleraran cooking stove one could find. Run by charcoal and magic, if one so possessed the power, with a huge cast iron top and space for cooking bread. From there the bottom floor extended into a large front room, with a generous fireplace, a rough wooden table and a set of armchairs. A back door led to two servants rooms that was situated under a staircase that led upwards to the second floor where three bedrooms and a further sitting room was, half the time it seemed used as a study.

Philomel sighed long and satisfied, setting her bags down. She nodded, slowly, looking around as behind her Sakura and Veridian entered. They glimpsed the long front room uplit with the light of small but numerous windows dotted into the walls.

"I think this will do," she said in a pleasant voice. "I did not see anyone for miles. This will honestly do."

And she turned back to Sakura. "Are you sure about this?"

The geisha, who in her life had been a midwife, a nurse and a server it seemed, smiled pleasantly and nodded. "I am," she replied. "You need the company and I can do with a change of scenery for a few months. I assume you have paid to have food and so on brought?"

"Of course," Philomel inclined her head back. "Marmaduke will bring supplies starting from tomorrow. I doubt he himself will come, as I asked him not to to keep my profile here down, but I sent money in advance for us to be fed and watered for the next three months at least."
    Last edited by Philomel; 09-15-2017 at 05:10 PM.

Legend

GP

Name
    Race

View Profile
    Those first few weeks were simple and bliss.

It was how she had described. A quiet, peaceful world of long hours in the sun, watching the sheep drift to and fro across the fields. Occasionally a shepard could be seen with his loyal black and white dog, circling and tending to the sheep. They would sit watching the flock as they drifted between trees and fields, but sometimes in the long stretch of grass that went in a winding path from the farmhouse to the beach. For there was enough of it, at least, to be a clear view.

Peace settled, and the women plus the fox-form earth-spirit settled down into an easy life. Sometimes they would take long walks on the stoney beach, other times they would sit and talk to one another of their hopes and dreams. Books were aplenty, for the farmhouse was well stocked.

Also true to his word Baron Marmaduke sent a young man twice weekly laden with provisions and any other things they desired. It was the same usual thing - a supply of hard cheese, bread, wine, smoked meats and assorted fruits. Occaisionaly also they were provided with a pie which they warmed in the oven. It did not take long for them to realise that it was far cheaper for Veridian to set the oven on light. A simple launch of his flaming bite was enough to send a roaring blaze into the magically sensing vortex. And then the oven would heat up fast, and magnificently - sparking a way into providing a hot meal.

The first time the man came he just blinked, and smiled, gave his baggage and left. Over time, however, he submitted to the conversations of the faun and human, and began to stay for longer time. Through these conversations Philomel actually learnt more about Sakura, for she seemed eager enough to tell the young man things she had only partially described to her. Firstly, she was an Akashiman, but had not always lived there. Instead she had spent her early adult years in Radasanth, serving as a nurse and then midwife to a charity hospital, actually under a project by the Ixian Knights.

This latter feature made Philomel begin to tense. The Ixians, though they were more and more a lessening active membership and scheme of Corone society, had been, to Philomel, an avid enemy through her earlier times. In no small way had they impacted her to fight for those who were outside of the law for personal reasons, living in the chaos and neutrality of life because they had no choice. The Ixians in no small way had been too perfect, too righteous, and had scorned far too many whorehouses for Philomel to ever feel comfortable having them as a neighbour.

Besides. They were the enemy of the Crimson Hand, and that was where Philomel had begun her journey into power. Old hurts die hard.

Later on she confessed this to Sakura, and there was awkward tension in the house, of which not even Veridian or a visit from the young man, whose name turned out to be Harry, could ease. More trips were taken down to the beach, more focus meant on exercising with that massive belly, more time was spent on reading. And every day, when it came time for Sakura to check in on Philomel's baby and feel around the belly with soft, gentle hands, they had silence.

~*~
    Last edited by Philomel; 09-15-2017 at 05:24 PM.

Legend

GP

Name
    Race

View Profile
    Despite these troubles it was not the Ixian Knights which separated the two women.

Instead it was something far more oderous and horrible. It was the will of man. Not Harry, nor the shepard, nor Marmaduke. Not Veridian, not the farmers who had noticed the farmhouse was in use again, nor Mister Mushi who was sailing to Raiaera. It was an ordinary man, who had little to do in his life but be desperate - but a man who still had secrets. And he watched the farmhouse for several days as he assessed the strengths of the two women within.

It came with the pitch black of night. A shaking of her shoulder and a hiss.

"Lacey?" the voice whispered

Philomel grunted, waving her hand, eyes still tight closed. "She'm no' here. She'm on the ship."

"No, Lacey, I need you to wake up," a slightly confused tone to the voice this time but nevertheless insistent. Her shoulder shook, again and harder

"Ugh, she no' here, geddit? If you wan' mum then ..."

"Your mother?" a pause, and the pressure at her shoulder was relaxed a little. "Your mother is alive?"

"You'm the one keepin' af-after her ..." Philomel battered the hand out behind her more aggressively. "Tell her I be back after baby is born. I don' want to get up, Maverik. I am too ..."

A sudden, dull silence.

"But you are called Lacey."

There was a beat. A pause in the air as Philomel, woken up and dulled from waking up, blinked, her mind placing the pieces together. Blinking, she stared at the wooden panels that made up the wall before her, the seconds ticking by as she slowly realised just what she had said.

Lacey. The voice had caled her Lacey and then she had denied that that was her name. Lacey was the name she had given for herself to Mister Mushi. The same one he must have inferred to Sakura as being her name and now -

"Shit."

She sat up, bold and upright, turning swiftly to face the geisha standing on the floor by the bed and looking down at her, all the horror of the world on her face. By the light it looked to be about early dusk, with the faint sounds of morning dawn chorus filtering in through the single window to the small but perfectly useable room. Philomel bit her lip, knowing that from now on things would be even more strained between them.

"Gah ... shit," she muttered, raising a light fist to her mouth and hiding half her face, as she gazed with a sort-of apologetic glance to Sakura. "Sorry. I had to use a fake name so that no one would know ..."

"I see." A lip twisted up with distaste and Sakura was suddenly very unamused. "Whatever. What I came to say is that there are people downstairs. And they do not seem friendly.

"In fact they sound like the rioters from Akashima."

~*~
    Last edited by Philomel; 09-19-2017 at 02:56 PM.