EXP required for next Level: 14,892

GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Telgradian

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Garron View Post
    To begin this post, I just want to say, you nailed it on previous posts here, Philomel. We all truly love Althanas for whatever reason it may be. I also want to say thank you for all your hard work to take care of us in all sections and for your feedback. I/we really appreciate you for it. Thank you so much, Philomel. I think Dirks and his staff members over the years have done an amazing job with evolving Althanas to all of our personalities, writing evolution desires, and enjoyment for whatever reason we all come here.

But, anyways, with that said. To why I'm posting here with a suggestion. I was thinking back from when I was asking an Admin about post limits and post word limits to turn in a thread for judgement or no judgement type thing from a long time ago and it recently got me thinking about ways to boost participation and membership if only in a small way. It also got me thinking about past/current/and future member involvement pushing on with 4.0. Life kinda kicks us all in the ass sometimes and it hurts our participation and love of writing.

My suggestion is that something could possibly be done about it in light of word limit shrinking of Vignettes and the Writing Challenges Hysteria hosts. Maybe cater to those that have found time problematic to write like we love and are used to here by opening up a special sub-forum, or allow shorty-type stories in somewhere among the World of Althanas and Freeform sections. Something like 1,500 to 4,000 word shorties, instead of 5,000+ word 8-10+ post threads for those that just don't have the time to pump out longer threads, but still participate, and still nurture their love of writing, with optional gain for the same RPG reward-type continuation people enjoy, but only as a No Judgement type thing. I mean this as strictly solo type threads. I know it'll be more work for our staff to add everything up with these threads, but it may boost things here.

To add to that, I dunno if something like my suggestion is already in place, but just figured I'd post it. It's all just a thought and there is a lot of room for improvement with it.

Thanks to the staff for taking time out for reading this. You guys are awesome!
    I was not aware we were operating strict limitations for normal threads. In my time as an administrator, I saw everything from two post threads to forty post threads. Some of the shorter threads were actually really, really good and people tended to absorb more of the thread's message than with those that ramble on for pages at a time.

I think the thing to remember is that limitations will almost always come in the form of rewards - for the majority of cases, the lower the post count, the lower the rewards. That said, if the thread is written well it is entirely possible to compensate the lack of post count for a good score in the rubric. In a workshop, you can post as much or little as you like and score a 65 - but, of course, post count determines rewards.

In short, there is nothing I can remember that prevents anyone submitting even a one post thread (I have seen it done). But, of course, you can't then expect sterling rewards. I find the the best balance is a well written, shortish thread. Long enough to have a good plot and some action, short enough to not bore the arse off some people.

Also, one tip I can give to you now from an extremely hindsighty point of view is to limit posts to 60 minutes! It's worked wonders for me.
    Last edited by Shinsou Vaan Osiris; 11-09-2017 at 11:25 AM.

Hero

GP

Name
    Garron Ivari Cadeyrn
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Alrighty. I didn't know much about it. Thanks for the info, Shin!
    "My life is simple, my food is plain, and my quarters are uncluttered. In all things, I have sought clarity. I face the troubles and problems of life and death willingly. Virtue, integrity and courage are my priorities. I can be approached, but never pushed; befriended but never coerced; killed but never shamed."

Viator Mundi

EXP: 155,108, Level: 17
    Level completed: 18%, EXP required for next Level: 14,892
    Level completed: 18%,
    EXP required for next Level: 14,892

GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Telgradian

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Garron View Post
    Alrighty. I didn't know much about it. Thanks for the info, Shin!
    No problem pal. I don't think it is especially clear, and in all honesty I am speaking from memory more than anything. I hope I helped though!