Althanian

EXP: 31,031, Level: 7
    Level completed: 51%, EXP required for next Level: 3,969
    Level completed: 51%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,969

GP

Name
    Robert Bertrand
    I'll join if the ranking system puts John as the fitiest fiter.

Administrator

EXP: 87,404, Level: 12
    Level completed: 81%, EXP required for next Level: 2,596
    Level completed: 81%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,596

GP

Name
    Lichensith Ulroke
    Race
    Human
    Sounds like the Theatre of War back in 2005. I liked the idea. Been rallying for it. Just not a fan of keeping track for the whole site for extended periods of time. Maybe like an event or annual thing.

People used to keep their win loss records in their sigs.

Legend

EXP: 127,650, Level: 15
    Level completed: 55%, EXP required for next Level: 7,350
    Level completed: 55%,
    EXP required for next Level: 7,350

GP

Name
    Philomel van der Aart (+ Veridian)
    Race
    Faun (+ Fox/Earth Spirit)

View Profile
    Ah okay, I was looking at it like it was containing percentages AND points in the rankings, but you are saying we are just going on the rankings systems.

So the more battles you have been in, the higher you are. I like it - encourages people to firstly write, and also to improve their writing.

I like this Shin. He is a clever man.

Viator Mundi

EXP: 155,108, Level: 17
    Level completed: 18%, EXP required for next Level: 14,892
    Level completed: 18%,
    EXP required for next Level: 14,892

GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Telgradian

View Profile
    I'm glad there is some positive opinion here. That's good. I hear what you say Lye and appreciate the position you are coming from, but The Iron League is planned to be a constant. It will be easy for me to maintain once the initial rankings are done.

I want people battling it out to be number one. I know I will be. I want it to encourage writing. I also want the ranks to be recognised IC too - so if Shin is rank three, I want other characters to be able to say "Oh shit, there's Shin, the rank three guy in the Iron League".

My endgame is that I want the Iron League rankings to be feared in Althanas IC, and therefore make the place competitive again.

Althanian

GP

Name
    Robert Bertrand
    The issue I see with that is something like The Outlaw Torn, there wasnt a clear IC winner as I recall. If we want to transition iron league rankings into IC interactions, then we might have to base the standings on IC wins rather than judged writing.

Because shin beat me in the judging, then John would have to be like "oh shit shin is higher rank than me" when there's no basis for that feeling since they IC drew the match, more or less.

Viator Mundi

GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Telgradian

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by redford View Post
    The issue I see with that is something like The Outlaw Torn, there wasnt a clear IC winner as I recall. If we want to transition iron league rankings into IC interactions, then we might have to base the standings on IC wins rather than judged writing.

Because shin beat me in the judging, then John would have to be like "oh shit shin is higher rank than me" when there's no basis for that feeling since they IC drew the match, more or less.
    A valid point. We will need to find a way to win IC, though. If rankings are up for grabs then I can't see too many people wanting to concede. It might make for more intense battles, but how do we ensure / enforce that it is fair? A thought needed on that I think.

Still it might actually encourage some old school battling. Which im up for.

Althanian

GP

Name
    Robert Bertrand
    I'm with you, man, but I don't see it working out that simply. For example, John could probably wreck most people's faces, but that's because a large part of his character focus is combat. And while I appreciate the compliments people give me concerning my writing, there's just no way that John's record in the citadel according to judgment is reflective of how his standings would turn up. Sorry for sounding like I'm complaining.

I think one of the things we could do is add a teeny tiny extra judgment section to citadel battles marked for the Iron League. We could have a judge make a ruling for who "won" ICly. I'm thinking the ranking system would be some kind of combination of the two judgment sections. For example, we could have the standard +5 / 1 / -5 idea, but the judge can modify how many points get awarded for the fites that occur. For instance, in my fite with Ashla, I won ICly but lost the judgment by a point. So the judge might award me only 1 point for the win and only deduct 1 from her as a result. The 'wins' are determined by the IC Iron League judgment, but how much you win by might be determined by how well or poorly you wrote.

We could package this idea pretty easily in fact, I think, by involving the Ai'bron monks a little more in the story. Each Iron League match would be judged by a panel of like 3 Ai'bron monks who would 'referee' the fites of the League. The IC wins would have a better grounding in the world of Althanas, and have a more direct impact. The quality of your writing is also going to play a factor though, and poorly described actions, bad setting, and poor narrative will all transition into real character interaction, which the Ai'bron will be able to 'score'.

Thoughts? I hashed this out in like 3 minutes so it's probably half baked.

Legend

EXP: 127,650, Level: 15
    Level completed: 55%, EXP required for next Level: 7,350
    Level completed: 55%,
    EXP required for next Level: 7,350

GP

Name
    Philomel van der Aart (+ Veridian)
    Race
    Faun (+ Fox/Earth Spirit)

View Profile
    You could have a secondary less official ranking of people who won IC. thoughts?

I like the Ai'Brone monks idea of them being part of it. It could even be they who create the Iron League; decide it, structure it, judge it, what have you. If you are going to go for the full in character idea. This could come out, as red suggests, as an IC commentary by them. So even if a character wins IC but loses by the judgement, there is a reason behind it according to the monks.

This is what I am gathering from your suggestions, red. Is this what you meant? I also like the adding or subtracting of one point here and there for particularly amazing fights. But that would have to be closely watched, making sure it stays equal.

I think though, by what Shin is saying, is that all citadel battles from 2016 onwards are marked for the Iron League, they are not even going to be specially marked. But we could start adding a little thing to the end of battle judgements that is essentially a commentary by the Ai'Brone. Would that be too much work though?
    > here is a bit for admins to have their say and figure out what is able to be done realisitically.

Viator Mundi

GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Telgradian

View Profile
    I can see both sides of it. Personally, I would be happy with the Ai'Brone birthing the Iron League. I would also be happy if judges were able to perhaps customise Iron League judgments a little to tailor to the threads in some way; by either incorporating some or all of the ideas above without making it too complex .

That is, however, a matter for discussion with Rayleigh. Remember, although this concept is gathering momentum nicely it is still unofficial.

I don't know how feasible it is but perhaps we could make it so that an IC win is a bonus wildcard on a judgment score by say 5 or 10 points. Judgment scores tend not to be massively apart these days so I think a "win bonus" of 5 to 10 points is probably enough to ensure that we don't need two ways of deciding whether or not someone has won for ranking purposes. Thoughts?

He's alright, our Gum

EXP: 24,290, Level: 6
    Level completed: 62%, EXP required for next Level: 2,710
    Level completed: 62%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,710

GP

Name
    Gum do Mugu
    Race
    Dheathain Human

View Profile
    awesome idea