Level completed: 83%, EXP required for next Level: 3,206
    Level completed: 83%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,206

GP

Name
    Storm Veritas
    Race
    Human
    Collectively, the trio was surprisingly competent. Quick, varied in style, but lethal, Storm Veritas and the girl were able to hack, slash, and blast their way through the undead guardians despite a striking lack of similarity in style. The children began to sing, which instinctively sent the old wizard tentatively pacing away, focusing the dancing sword he gripped through bone after bone, mercilessly cracking and breaking the piles.

Singing to fight? Shit, now I’ve seen it all.

There was a great give and take with each bony opponent. There was no singular weakness in the stacked pile, but they weren’t particularly powerful either. In his movements, one managed to rake him across the right forearm. The clawless fingers scratched and left a heat behind in the wound, but there was no feel of poison or disease in the scratches, and the blood that flowed was minor.

The last bolt he eventually used to incinerate the persistent evil before him came about the same time that a bounding ball of magical energy was blasted down the path from the children. The rumbling echo answering them did not bode well for anyone.

“Nice job, but what in the blue f*ck is that coming up the bend?”

Tired and uncertain, the electromancer could see clearly over the head of the powerful young strangers as a new form began to lumber forward. The back came first; a large, hulking spine hanging over the road as impossibly wide ribs curved out and underneath the fleshless goliath. With a groan, a large, horrid skull bleated out at the three.

”BRRRWWWWEEEEEAAAAAAAA!!!!”

Mud and what looked like sludge hung from the thick bones marching at them, leg bones as thick as the mage’s thigh and picking up in speed. The head, or skull, or whatever it as, looked as a horned turtle’s shell; rounded to a beaked nose with spikes of bone emitting about the perimeter of the skull, no doubt effectively once protecting some pre-human neck.

Within the darkness of the awful head opened to glowing yellow orbs where eyes should have once peered out. The head bobbed up and down, leg bones effortlessly kicking large piles of earth before the great body as the beast appeared to stare them down.

“Hhh…” the words of the magician vanished from his mouth before he could form them. Perhaps the girl would have some more of these spectacular orbs to fire, or better yet the boy an ability to teleport. Based on the durability of the first wave, the adventurer found it unlikely a simple blast of electricity would save them.

Got it.

An idea came over Storm in a wave of inspiration, and he didn’t hesitate to fire a whopping bolt of electricity at trunk of a large, spread elm. Far less robust than the skeletons, the base of the tree was eviscerated, coring the base dramatically in a crash of splinters and char. With a mighty crack and groan, the heavy tree came crashing down atop the skeletal colossus, sending leaves, dust, and mud spraying through the air and about the ground.

”BRRRWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!”

The tree shook and snapped as the fiery golden eyes burst through at him. The great monster had not been stopped.

The Thayne Tantalus

EXP: 106,923, Level: 14
    Level completed: 20%, EXP required for next Level: 12,077
    Level completed: 20%,
    EXP required for next Level: 12,077

GP

Name
    Lysander Anall
    Race
    Thayne

View Profile
    “Duffy…” Ruby sheathed her sword amidst shrill protests and from thin air, produced a violin and bow. “You know those stupid and highly dangerous ideas you’re prone to have?” She shook the violin suggestively.

“I don’t have stupid ideas!” the bard protested.

Their companion rolled his eyes. The road shook as the creature flailed free of the fallen, splintering tree trunk. With a final heave-ho the tree spiralled away, crashing into the dirt and providing an opportune spark of inspiration.

“Oh, you mean those stupid ideas.” He eyed up the convenient ramp up to the creature’s shoulders and sighed.

Sizing up their next challenge, Duffy didn’t fancy his chances leaping from the end of the bough to the shoulders. He needed a little help from his friends.

“Those glowing eyes. Do you think you can give them a bolt or two?” Ruby moved between the electromancer and her brother and played a few notes to warm up. “If there’s anything I’ve learned from centuries of monsters emerging from closets it’s the glowing bits are the weak points.”

“It can’t be that easy, can it?” Duffy started to doubt himself, but produced a dagger from the ether all the same.

A wind rolled down the road, carrying with it the creature’s stench and a portent of doom. The creature clod-thumped the ground, roared so loud the trees shook along the tree line and Ruby’s breasts juddered just enough to remind her she was drastically overdressed.

“Get going Duffy, we’ll come up with the nail in the coffin if you just get it in the box.” She rested the bow against the violin and the golden thread running through the carved wood glowed with white balefire. “Try not to die again.”

Duffy had no intention of doing so, but as he strolled towards the giant a niggling doubt gnawed at the back of his mind. If one of those fists connected with his pretty little face there wouldn’t be much left of him to celebrate. As he closed the gap, sweat poured down his brow in a mix of nerves and exertion. The nerves rose as he cut into each of his shoulder blades with the edge of his blade. A vortex of power burst into being in his heart and from each wound a blooded wing sprouted.

“Whilst my brother serves as a distraction, you and I need to come together and sing a song. What do you say, can you electrify an audience without stripping the flesh from their bone?” Ruby began to play, hoping that the pressure would draw out whatever musical strands wound about the mage’s vocal chords. “Let’s give your talents a little push in the right, eye popping life-saving direction!” She let words fail her and began to play a raucous folk song from the autumnal playbook of Scara Brae.

As she played she watched Duffy mount the fallen trunk and charge. The blooded wings beat in time to every step and at the apex of his climb he launched into the air. They gave him just enough lift to make it to the back of the creature and, rather like a moth hitting a lantern, began to really, really piss it off.

Ride The Lightning

EXP: 166,794, Level: 17

GP

Name
    Storm Veritas
    Race
    Human
    And so marched the boy, once seemingly the perfect coward, towards the maw of the great beast. Climbing up a tree, reaching the back of the bony monster, Storm spotted the boy’s legs settling atop the spine, feet locking in between ribs. It was perfect; he seemed to get a great grip on the awful thing, and it bucked and roared with an awful sound like metal grinding.

Nearby, the girl asked him to sing a song, as his small electric blasts had little to no effect. The wizard had shot small, delicate bursts, careful not to fry the poor brave bastard on top of the bone mammoth. From some range, with only small focused shots, the thick calcium of the beast’s skull effortlessly absorbed each shot, twitching simply to avoid a devastating bolt to the eye.

Son of a bitch, a song!? That ain’t my kinda magic, sugar…

A quick glance back at the girl, who had began to dance the bow to her violin. It was a sweet, high pitched sound, rhythmic and optimistic with an upbeat tonality. A grin spread across the face of the mage as he started whispering in tune.

“Hey big beast with your bone-flat teats…
    “I’m here to bring you news!
    “Come for the food, for were still fresh meats
    “Just here to pay our dues!”

Disappointed with his pitiful effort, he looked to the girl, who continued fiddling on as little happened in the way of giant, terrible orbs of magic.

You suck at this. Be yourself.

Clapping a little in time with the lovely tune, Storm’s eyes pulled into a squint as his mouth paused momentarily. He needed to move quickly, as the lad atop the back of the monster had little time to wait on terrible rhymes.

“Hey bone bag, bring that orange eye.
    “On us and our neat tricks!
    “My magic now, it’s time to die…
    “So you can suck our dicks!!”

Lyrically gifted he was not, however Storm Veritas was powerful and frustrated. A pulse beneath the metal heels of his shoes sent him flipping in an impossible leap upwards, tumbling out and forward for some forty feet. He knew not if he had generated any magic for the clever girl, but it was time to go off-script.

With white eyes of anger and rage, the electromancer sent a terrible blast of crackling white hate down at the face of the beast, some ten feet in front of its newly emboldened little jockey. The wizard had done his best to avoid the boy, but push had officially come to shove.

The Thayne Tantalus

EXP: 106,923, Level: 14
    Level completed: 20%, EXP required for next Level: 12,077
    Level completed: 20%,
    EXP required for next Level: 12,077

GP

Name
    Lysander Anall
    Race
    Thayne

View Profile
    Ruby’s smile as the prangs of lightning turned into a fully-fledged micro storm was positively devilish. She drew her bow across her violin one final time and, just as their unwitty ally found his wings, the spell singer ascended in a whorl of thermal energy. When she landed, heels digging into the dirt, three spheres of invisible and concussive force shot towards the skeletal giant. When she found her balance, her magic was long out of her control and ploughing troughs into the broken road. She clenched her teeth as they overtook the lightning, time upending as much as her nerve, and closed her eyes.

“Duck.” She bent at the knee and covered her face with her forearms.

She had seen Duffy take one for the team far too many times. Somehow, she knew this would be no different.

“What the!”

The bard’s high-pitched voice disappeared as the three-requiem blasted into the giant’s chest. The first rocked it, the second buckled its knee, and the third cracked into the clavicle and shattered it asunder. Somehow, Duffy managed to emerge unscathed. He clung to the flailing skull, the guttural trembling emerging from its jaw rattled his brains in his skull. For a moment he felt the sweet taste of victory. Then, as the air around him began to heat, he recognised the bitter sweet after taste that came with cheap wine or jumping the gun.

The giant’s yellow eyes flared as the lightning maelstrom tore into its exposed chest and ricocheted about its ribcage. Arcs shore the afternoon sky and sent clouds of sparks high and wide into the autumnal boughs of the forest canopy. Duffy felt his grip loosen, and though he tried to cling on for dear life the rupturing magic that held the giant together knocked into him and sent him upwards. He saw the head shrink and expand, and with one final defiant ‘fuck you!’, threw his katana at the nearest eyeball as he plummeted past and headed face first into a hundred years of rotten putrid swamp.

“You should open your eyes.”

Ruby opened them slowly. When she realised she wasn’t dead, she stood upright and dropped her jaw at the spectacle before them. The giant clawed at its skull, trying to free the blade embedded in the brain cavity. The right eye was extinguished, and the left flared brighter than the sun as the magic binding it to unlife fled its corpse. It trundled back and forth, each step thunderous until it fell to its knees and began to fall apart. She couldn’t be sure which was the final nail in the coffin, but she appreciated the calamity that befall their attacker and tore it apart. The skull rolled off the road like an errant millstone and sunk slowly into the pearl quagmire. Its arms fell apart and rained down like bone hail, leaving a half-erect lower torso as a reminder not to mess with pissheads and charlatans.

“Where’d the kid go?” She wondered.

“Ermm…” The wizard shrugged and pointed to the treeline.

Ruby sighed.

“If that was the puppet, where’s the one pulling its strings?” She turned to her companion and did away with her instruments into a swirl of blue ribbons and worn bum notes. “Don’t worry about him, we’ve developed an uncanny knack of getting out of bigger piles of sh,” she sniggered. “Well, perhaps not piles as big as that.”

The skull wood loomed overhead, as though it tried to snuff out their victory and swallow them whole. All thoughts about the tournament and Duffy’s little recession into his inner child were forgotten. All the red headed matriarch of the Tantalum could focus on now was putting a sword through whatever cursed this place, and getting home in time for her usual gin and tonic by the fireside.

Ride The Lightning

EXP: 166,794, Level: 17

GP

Name
    Storm Veritas
    Race
    Human
    “Where’s the one pulling the strings?”

The words hung on him heavily, a depressing anchor about the neck that reminded him that the trio was not out of the woods yet, be it physically or metaphorically. The twins had proven their worth in spades, and done so without so much as an inadvertent blade to the ribs or tester magical explosion that found its way into his proximity.

The dense, horrible air of burning flesh lingered in his lungs, a taste so terrible the Alerarian tobacco could not disguise completely. His pipe popped to life with a wild orange glow, twin plumes of smoke like dragon whiskers snaking from the corners of his mouth in intermittent bursts. He spoke to the girl, who was still alert if a bit fatigued.

“The boy has balls on him, even in spite of that chicken-shit showing he started out with. I suppose I should introduce myself. Storm Veritas – passing through to Concordia, a little business with old friends.”

Removing the pipe, he tapped at the base of the little cherrywood bowl, breaking loose the clustered tar that had formed in there, spitting out the residual taste of death that lingered in all of their mouths. He smiled as the girl shook his hand, noticing for the first time a characteristic cuteness that would have gripped his attention a few decades ago.

“I’ve been around the bend a bit, made a few Crowns and spent more. You two are full of surprises, so I suppose I should ask; have you heard of Shinsou Vaan Osiris?”

Her head popped to the side a few degrees, a chipmunk surveying a strange nut and pondering whether or not to take a bite.

“An old friend of mine, hosting a tournament in the area. I break his balls over the damned thing – the ‘Shinvitational’, I call it for him. Pretty sure it drives him f*cking crazy, which is perfect by me. I was to meet him in town, but I’m getting the drift that you two have the warrior’s blood in you, too.”

There was no firm response; the duo likely knew something that they chose not to speak. He owed the kids enough to avoid pressing the issue. They could be his enemies tomorrow; for today the tandem musicians had earned the benefit of the doubt.

The wizard supplied a sharp, piercing whistle, and he gestured to the charming young bard as he marched forward slowly. It wasn’t more than a few strides before the rolling thunder of hooves began to call out to him from a great distance. What felt like an empty echo became a firm melody of its own, before the solid pops yielded to the squishier hoof-strikes in softer soil. Attila had returned on queue, strong and tall, proud and bold.

“Kee!” The old mage offered a simple call as the great steed broke stride into a slow trot. The big beast ambled aside him, gently pushing the impossibly thick neck into the shoulder of the tall adventurer. Storm Veritas firmly grabbed the reins and pulled gently, the black stallion’s head and neck unflinching as the agile older man hopped with shocking finesse to the back of the horse. He rubbed the dense muscle about Attila’s back, happy to feel the firm footing of flesh that the boy lacked atop that big elephant monstrosity.

“Plenty of room up here for you and the boy to get out of the wood. For me, I’m not waiting to meet the puppeteer and learn his plans. We save that dance for a different song, I think.”

He could not force them to ride, but hoped they would join. There were many more paths than this to travel, and clever company was hard to come by.

Legend

EXP: 127,650, Level: 15
    Level completed: 55%, EXP required for next Level: 7,350
    Level completed: 55%,
    EXP required for next Level: 7,350

GP

Name
    Philomel van der Aart (+ Veridian)
    Race
    Faun (+ Fox/Earth Spirit)

View Profile
    This thread is now closed for judging.

Legend

GP

Name
    Race

View Profile
    Osiris Open 2017 Round 2:
    Storm Veritas Vs Duffy: Skull Woods

Combat:

For this section I looked at the overall combat with the skeletons, as well as the 'combat' between your two parties. Both of you took this part of the contest unusually, going from a concentration to be centred around one on one combat but the story itself ended up being about survival. This was taken into consideration in your story.

Duffy: 20/30

Strategy:
    As a judge, now looking at the story after it has been written, it is unknown whether the events in post 6 are deliberate in Ruby and Duffy missing the presence of the skeletons or not. Instead you focus on the fact that Ruby needs too describe that they are not necromancers, and the gearing up for possible one on one combat. Post 8 has Ruby considering: “how she’d been so fucking oblivious” in realising then that the skeletons are properly attacking, and then the group combat begins. Your strategy during this next part is unusual in respect to having an uncertain child Duffy and adding in the 'older sister' figure of Ruby in that time. Using a series of backhands to wake Duffy up to some extent, and adds to the overall feel of the battle, but I felt there could have been more focus, earlier, on what was occurring around.

Resourcefulness:

In terms of using your abilities, and making use of the situation the highlight of resourcefulness, there was a highlight when you have Duffy go to a fallen trunk and charge – summoning wings to fly and launch at dread creature (post 12). Climbing onto the beast at the ended also added to show your character's resourcefulness. Your use of bardic magic, and adding in the songs themselves added to the atmosphere well and gave a good hold onto the idea of blade singing. With two characters involved you brought a great deal of abilities and actions done that though perhaps could have done with using the scenery more were effective.

Execution:
    Overall you weave a good amount of hits and blows at the skeletons with both Ruby and Duffy. There are many hits sent, with a great instance with the ball of energy. A couple of things were lacking however – one being the amount of hits taken by Ruby and Duffy were severally low, especially considering the fact they did not notice the oncoming creatures until later, and not even from the larger creature at the end. There also seemed to be a lot of words and few action, bringing down the reality of such a fight lower, which when compared to Storm's writing is unfortunately shown to be lacking. What content there was, was good, however I would have liked to see a more balanced fight.

Storm Veritas: 23/30

Strategy:
    Strategy needed to be fast and decisive for the majority of this piece, which you responded to well, using instinctual-based ideas. You do change the central combat of the story from looking at combat with the siblings to then focusing on the skeletons – from “'It seems your boy here needs a lesson, and that’s helpful, as I need some prac…'” to noticing the skeletons. With an accusation of necromancy to them you set up the possibility of one on one combat but then veer away from this two posts after. The strategy of your combat then becomes focused on survival, using skills as the seeming experienced presence giving advice on how to defeat the enemy. This is thematically appropriate and helps forward the plot.

Resourcefulness:

Storm defiantly tries various skills to conquer his foes, from words to the siblings, to finally using his surroundings. A particularly amazing highlight was when you write, in post 10, “whopping bolt of electricity at trunk of a large elm,” and though this does not stop the creature it shows raw intelligence and use of the scenery alongside your base lightening ability. You have him show ability to be able to deal with the situation when it comes, such as dealing only smaller shots when Duffy is on the final beast's back, which is a theme of resourcefulness.

Execution:
    There is a short amount of time in which a true bout of combat takes place. In it however, you show your character dominating over the skeletons in a fairly easy manner, using skill and electricity (see Resourcefulness) - though I would have perhaps liked to see more description of the beast later on itself, and where precisely Storm hits. You do not fear to write that your character experiences fear (post 7), finds them hard to kill (post 7), and also has particular difficulty with one limb (post 9). In post 9 also you show the effects of using too much of the electric power. This shows a balanced amount of ability and competency as well as making the fight itself believable.

Character:

Duffy: 19/30

Communication:
    There are various strong points for your communication – including, but not limited to the difference between Duffy's speaking from boy to man and Ruby's overall 'big sister' banter. These individualise your characters well. Though I would have liked to see more focus on Duffy as he was technically the one involved in the fight, there was a strong recognition for who was who in terms of how they spoke and what was said. The largest issue with writing in terms of weakness is when they spoke, as some of it occurred in the middle of fighting scenes when realistically there might not be that much time to do so, and with unusual phrasing that did not quite suit thematically for the situation, when directly compared to Storm. (post 8) Overall though, a dynamic approach.

Action:
    You show the art of subtle actions in this piece, using them to further your character's development. One such example could be said to be in post 8 where Ruby, “bit her lip,” displaying the emotions of the time. Though I would have liked to see more that showed individual personality traits, there are very good decisions made in when your characters pick up their weapons, use them and how they use them – and why. In some circumstances, also there, there was some confusion. One such is why Duffy strides to the tree first, and then charges, when there is so much violence (post 12). Saying this, no action was wasted in any way, and were written well.

Persona:
    What comes through the piece is the personality of Duffy in terms of his reactions and his attitude from boy (post 2 in being scared) to man (having a “deranged” expression in post 10. Although you do not use direct internal thought as Storm does in his writing, there is a smaller subtle use of persona in the manners as described, and also in Ruby to some extent, with use of some adverbs (“apologetically in post 10) that help to lift this. Overall it would have been good to see more of a focus on persona, whereas you do dedicated a lot of time to words and actions, but what content there is is good.

Storm Veritas: 23/30

Communication:
    A good key in communication is devising ways of how your character might communicate on an individual level different to others. In post 5 you reflect on this well, with a secret set of words to Attila the horse: “take five, eat up.” Later in the same post you use phrasing that are individual to Storm himself, “drak-bile in my pipe-pouch,” which only seeks to add more to his character. This continues through the piece, speaking when only it is appropriate, or when there might be something to say reserving it to the mind, and you only add flavour to the thread with this. I would say this is an excellent example of communication in this thread.

Action:
    In a similar vein to Duffy, you use small actions well, using such things as “nostrils flared” and Storm “scanning” the view in post 7, that show the smaller sides of his character – anger and perceptiveness. Larger actions are mostly devoted to combat itself, and though in some terms I would have liked to see some more habitual actions, such as the placing of the hand onto Attila before sending him away. Various sides of Storm are shown in his actions, and this is an excellent example of how to use such to show character.

Persona:
    You have great hold of internal communication, not shying away from language: “Ugh, rude people. Rude people are the f*cking WORST. Don’t they know that shit can get you killed?” post 5. This adds punctuation to the piece in the middle of combat and tense situations and lets the reader know what Storm is feeling during these moments. Other subtle things, such as his voice “deepening” in post 7 also express persona. Though perhaps I would have liked to see more lengthy discussion over what the Osiris Open was, and why they did not fight one another, overall there was a strong hold here in this section.
    Prose:

Duffy: 20/30

Mechanics:
    Overall you show a good hold of punctuation rules and paragraphing, although there are a couple of spelling mistakes. Post 1 has: “a firm bac hand” instead of “back.” These can be avoided with a small amount of read through. A more developed use of punctuation is something I would suggest from here, such as trying out hyphenation and semi-colons, though what you have is grammatically correct and fits well with the structure of the piece.

Clarity:
    Your first post is initially confusing for a reader if they did not know your characters well. The phrasing “his adult self” does not explicitly infer that Duffy can change from a child into a man at will, and so confusion can be said to exist here. Having two characters also caused a couple of issues with readability, although this is minor in the grand scheme of things. There were points in which also the reader can get lost in your combat, primarily post 8. Please see Storm's posts surrounding this for comparison. Saying this, however, the resolution was clear and your shorter paragraphs add a visually easy to read piece.

Technique:
    Technique overall was very beautifully done, with description of the setting at the start that helped to focus in at what the scenery was like and some excellent use of metaphor. One prime example is post 10: “unfurling in a cloud of fossilised marrow and regret”,” that expresses not only the physical objects but also the mood. Great word choice also exists that I enjoyed reading, such as “incessant and futile” in post 10, and this is accompanied by the very power of the song lyrics you use. In some ways I felt you missed a trick with the song lyrics – they could have perhaps been used to reflect more of the atmosphere of the scene, by using the more stressed notes to throw the magic and use to your advantage, however their simple presence already adds strength to technique.

Storm Veritas: 22/30

Mechanics:
    Mechanics for the most part is complete and central, with no obvious spelling mistakes or grammatical errors. Your use of semi-colons in places (post 9 for example) helped to also show the skill that you have. One small mistake that was found, was the missing technical issue at the end of post 9, where there is a “[/i]” appearing on the physical piece. This is something that can be tidied up with a brief proofread, and this would be the only clear mechanical error.

Clarity:
    Clarity for the most part is done well on your side. There are a couple of points of miscommunication that seemed to have happened, however, where you refer to Duffy and Ruby as “the children,” in post 11. This is a couple of posts after Duffy was said to grow into adult form. Aside from this your actual content was clearly described, with blows falling and each sentence and movement easy to follow. Suggestion for the future would be to make sure you are fully understanding your writing partner's piece and not being afraid to ask questions of them.

Technique:
    In some ways it looks like you wrote this with a thesaurus open beside you, which adds power to your writing. Such words as, “indefatigable” in post 9 and phrases like “incoming appendage” add a change to something that could have been simpler and thus make your writing stronger. There are fine examples of metaphor, such as post 15 with “a depressing anchor about the neck” that show the effect of words, and hints at imagery. Though there perhaps could have been a longer more extending metaphor used, such as that of death, you write very artfully and beautifully.

Wildcard:

Duffy: 7

Storm Veritas: 6

Duffy gets rewards for writing an amazing character called Duffy who I think I want to adopt.

Storm Veritas gets rewards for showing a good relationship between man and horse, though some might ignore, you write about later, and develop the nature of Attila also as the story evolves, and added something truly special.

Final Comment:

Thanks guys and sorry for this taking so long.

Final Score:

Duffy: 66

Storm Veritas: 75

Storm Veritas wins and goes through to Round 3.

Rewards:

As per with the rules of the Osiris Open, all rewards are based on a score of 65.

Storm Veritas receives:
    1520 EXP
    100 GP

Duffy receives:
    1400 EXP
    100 GP

Duffy forfeits their GP win as per rules of the Osiris Open.
    Last edited by Philomel; 11-04-2017 at 11:28 AM.

Legend

GP

Name
    Race

View Profile
    All rewards have been added.