GP

Name
    Amari L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel

View Profile

What could have been

*An alternative timeline to this thread
    A what if scenario if she ‘did’ step through the portal.

It was difficult to comprehend everything that had happened that night. Amari had spent the day alone, doing menial chores. Her highlight was looking forward to a well cooked meal and a small cake to celebrate her birthday. Instead, the half elf named Jake had quite literally barged into her life, planning to steal from her estate a pittance of food. He was sweet, and charming, and a little bit skittish. Instead of shooing him away Amari offered him her company, a bath, hot meal, and a bed for the night. The two genuinely enjoyed each other's’ company. It was no doubt one of the most interesting days of Amari’s life. Unfortunately, nothing good ever lasts. Her brother had returned home early, enraged, he and Jake exchanged heated words that went well over the naive noblewoman's head.

Jake spoke of underhanded and taboo sigils, and how her brother wasn’t the kind and loving man Amari knew him to be. Her brother, always quick to anger had happened upon Jake, seeing him as an intruder and went in for the attack. Then..then there was Amari, the redhead stuck between both trying to quell the men's turbulent emotions.

“Lamont! Enough. Jake is a guest in our home, please treat him as such!”

Amari turned her back on her brother, now facing Jake. "And Jake!" She snapped, before taking a deep breath and using a softer, pained tone. "Please...I do not know what was in brothers journal - but I do know my brother. He'd never har-" Her words stilled and turned into inaudible mumbles. Lamont had thrust the needle into the back of her neck. Quickly injecting her with the serum. "h-harm...me..." Her eyes watered. Her legs buckled, before she could fall Lamont caught her in his arms. The syringe fell to the floor and rolled toward the portal door. "Hush sweet Amari, it'll be over soon."

"B-brother....?" Amari could feel herself slipping. She tried to move but her body did not respond she felt as though she was drowning, and slipping away into unconsciousness. It was a horrifying feeling. She wanted to scream and to cry, to beg him why - but all she could do was stare up at him silently, till her eyes glazed over, and her consciousness was nothing more than a dull buzz. Her once brilliant gaze became lidded and lifeless.

Lamont gripped Amari's crimson tresses in his hands. Watching Jake with a wicked grin. He pulled her virtually lifeless form up so he could deeply inhale her scent. "Don't you just love how she smells of the forest?" He mused as he let go of her hair. Amari fell to the floor with a soft thud.

"Jake, was it?" His blue eyes shifted to Jake's pointed ears. "Half-Elf. Your accent suggests you're from..." He tilted his head to the side, feigning thought. "Corone?" He asked. Lamont didn't need Jake to answer, unlike Amari he was extremely well read, and intelligent. He was able to pick up on the most subtle of nuances and analyse them.

"And you can summon portals," He stepped over Amari. "Not unheard of. I've looked into it myself. I lack the ability to do so. Course..." His voice was no longer filled with rage, it was smooth. Calculating. "I can pay people to do that for me."

Jake pulled out the quill again, but he was met with a cluck of Lamont's tongue.

"Amari, would you be so kind as to unbutton the upper half of your nightgown, and stand in front of me?"

Jake watched in horror as the limp figure of Amari sat up, and with dull eyes she wordlessly unbuttoned her gown until the full curvature of her milky breasts spilled out. She then stood. Placing herself between Lamont and Jake. "Good Doll." Lamont purred into her ear. "If any weapon appears in his hand, I want you to impale yourself upon it." A single nod was her reply.

"Excellent. Now." Lamont raised his eyes. "How about you flee, like the coward you are - or you lose both your life..." Lamont gestured toward Amari, "and in the process- take hers. Consider my kind offer Jake. I am not a patient man."

Lamont paused, gripping Amari's shoulders with his hands. "Or perhaps you wanted some fun first? You are a lad of good taste, no?" He pushed the girl toward Jake. “I see where your eyes travel. Why not have a taste? She won’t remember a thing when she comes to.”

Adventurer

EXP: 32,526, Level: 7
    Level completed: 70%, EXP required for next Level: 2,474
    Level completed: 70%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,474

GP

Name
    Jacob (Jake) Narmolanya
    Race
    Elf / Human
    A life of hardship, thievery, and demon hunting had finely tuned Jake’s nerves for such situations. As Amari stumbled robotically toward him, the half elf sidestepped and opened the doorway he’d created. The redhead stumbled on through, and Jake followed her. He pocketed the syringe as he passed and tossed a last jibe at Lamont as the portal dissipated.

“No one’s going to be having fun with her, you bastard!”

“Well don’t say that Jake, she looks like all kinds of fun.”

The half elf wheeled around. He had transported himself and Amari to his shared quarters in the Bandit Brotherhood. They stood in a room made all of wood, sanded oak and yew floorboards, walls, and ceilings. An array of overstuffed closets and dressers stood between rows of bunk beds.

“Seriously Jake, where did you find a redhead like this? I love redheads.” The tall bandit leered at Amari’s topless form, and his compatriot chuckled, also enjoying the sight. The girl stood almost lifelessly, oblivious to the situation.

“Back off, Leon.” Jake snapped. He swept off his cloak and draped it around Amari’s shoulders. “Amari, cover yourself.” The girl complied, still in some kind of trance. “Go and get Damon,” Jake told the other bandits, “she needs help.”

“The boss is off hunting vamps,” the tall human replied, eyes still pasted to the sliver of pale skin visible through the folds of the cloak. “No one here to protect her but you, little Jake.” He reached out to pull the cloak away from Amari. “Besides, it’s not like she minds…”

“She was poisoned,” Jake growled. He shoved the larger man away and drew his quill menacingly. The feather transformed into the iron hilt of a sword from which a blade of still fire grew. “Don’t make me use this.”

“You’re lucky you’re one of Damon’s favorites,” Leon spat, but he raised his hands and backed away. “Otherwise we’d leave your corpse in a ditch somewhere and have our way with her. Come on,” he said to his friend, “let’s go into town and find a redhead of our own. Seems little Jake doesn’t know how to share.” They chuckled as they exited the building. Jake followed them with his blade, until it turned towards Amari and she tried to throw herself on the tip.

“No, Amari!” Jake exclaimed. He let the sword become a quill again and stuffed it in his pocket. “Never mind anything your brother said to you. Oh by the Thayne, what am I to do?”

She paused in her tracks, blank eyes staring at him, as though she were awaiting more orders. She was completely unresponsive to the world around her, and it seemed that she was now obeying Jakes orders.

“Umm… Amari, lay down here.” He pulled back the covers of his bed. “Maybe you can sleep it off.” He watched as she let go of his jacket and climbed into the bed, laying down with an arm resting over her head, the other over her bare stomach, again her eyes drifted to him. Jake covered her with the blankets and sat on the edge of the bed. “Close your eyes now,” he said, trying to make his voice low and soothing, “go to sleep, Amari.” She closed her eyes, and before long it appeared as though she had fallen asleep.

Jake sat at her side through the night, every so often pulling the syringe from his pocket to examine it, hoping that when she awakened, Amari would be right again. There was a murmur from her, as she rolled over, she reached out and gripped the loose cloth of his shirt sleeve.

Shattered heart and Soul

EXP: 76,735, Level: 11
    Level completed: 98%, EXP required for next Level: 265
    Level completed: 98%,
    EXP required for next Level: 265

GP

Name
    Amari L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel

View Profile
    She had the strangest dream that night, she dreamt of strange tall men, of being dragged through mysterious doors and of a monster who had taken the form of her brother. She groaned as she shuffled under the covers, pulling them tighter over her form. “Cold…” She mumbled. She felt the heat of another person close to her and she instinctively inched closer toward it. “Brother…” She mumbled, her hands finding his arm. “What time is it?”

“No,” a soft voice said, “you’re safe now. You’re with Jake. It’s about an hour after dawn.”

“Jake….?” Amari asked, groggy. She slowly sat up, rubbing her eyes as she yawned. “Oh, that’s right. Brother isn’t home from his trip. I’m sorry you woke before me.” She unfurled herself from Jake and from the covers. She arched her back, and it wasn’t till she finally fully opened her eyes that she realized she was not in her bed.

Amari’s eyes sprung open at the unfamiliar surrounding, the rows of bunk beds, the overall mess, and the distinct woody smell that filled the air. Her heart ached as it beat heavily against her chest. where am I!? She scrambled back, away from Jake, her back pressed against the frame of the bed. Green and gold eyes wide with fear. “W-where am I!? What did you do!?” Amari asked, clearly afraid of the half-elf.

Jake’s face crumpled in concern. “You don’t remember…” he breathed. “Amari, last night your brother tried to kill you. He injected you with something-” he fumbled in his pocket and showed her the syringe. “It made you completely open to suggestion. I had to bring you here, to the Bandit Brotherhood hideout, to keep you safe.”

Jake had been so kind...energetic and thoughtful. Why would he lie like this? Amari didn’t understand. She pressed herself further into the wall, clambering to gather what blankets she could to hide herself in them. “Y-you lie!” She stuttered. “Brother is away on business!” Amari could feel her eyes begin to burn as she blinked away tears, “Last I remember...you wanted to talk about him and a book! Now I’m here….why don’t I remember? Did you drug me!? A-Are you going to hold me for ransom?” Amari shook her head, and buried it into the blanket, her voice muffled. I would...I would have given you any riches you wanted… just take me home.. Please….”

“What?” Jake exclaimed. “No! I told you, your brother drugged you when he came home early. He came in before I could tell you about his journal. I read about the things he’s done to you… and the things he planned to do. But you’re safe here Amari. I’m not after your gold and I won’t let anyone hurt you. Maybe if we find out what’s in this syringe, we can see about getting your memories back…” he trailed off, looking at the needle in his hands. “You don’t trust me, do you?”

How could she? How could she trust him? Amari had no memories of what he claimed, and her brother had always been kind, he was the only kind person Amari had ever met. Amari thought Jake was kind, but he had taken her to this strange place. His voice ached with a sadness Amari wanted to fix, but she was afraid. If only I could get out of here… Her eyes glanced from the syringe to the door on the far side of the wall. She just had to make a run for it.

“Jake…” Amari unfurled herself from the blanket and crawled over toward him. I have to be careful… she stared at the needle in his hand, afraid he’d use it on her. “I-I want to believe you…” That part was true, Amari didn’t want to think Jake was lying, even if his words meant her brother wasn’t the man she thought he was. “Maybe… we could talk about it?” She asked as she sat next to him, swinging her feet off the bed, she kept her distance, away from him and the needle. “Why….would brother want me dead?”

“He said something about… if you couldn’t be the perfect doll he wanted, he didn’t want you at all. He ordered you to throw yourself on my sword, Amari. I only just got you away.” Jake noticed the syringe was making her uneasy and pocketed it.

Amari stilled herself, her body becoming tense at his words. They sounded familiar. “His doll…” She lowered her gaze to the floor. “That was brothers nickname for me, how would you know that?” She furrowed her brow. Things didn’t make sense, they didn’t add up.

“I read it in his journal, and I heard him say it,” Jake said, “he wanted to… own you. He wanted to use you in ways that don’t bear thinking about.”

Amari squirmed, she forced her eyes shut and could feel hot tears streaming down her face. She made no effort to wipe them away. “I can’t…” Her words came out as a whisper. “I c-can’t…..” Her words became louder, shaken by her own fear fuelled adrenaline. Amari shook her head, “I can’t believe you!” She finally said as she kicked herself off the bed and made a run for the door.

She had to be close right? If she could just make it outside….

Amari’s shaky hands struggled to turn the smooth doorknob, she finally managed to open it and yanked it hard, stumbling forward through the door. There, she came into a long hallway with windows that let in red rays of morning light. She could see an external door ahead, and ran toward it, her footsteps slapping against the hardwood floor. She burst through the door, breathing heavily.

I must be almost out…. I must be…. I must… Amari didn’t look back to see if Jake was following, she was afraid, and she was driven to find her way out.

The sunlight blinded her for a moment, and as her vision returned her hope collapsed. She was in some sort of courtyard surrounded by tall wooden walls with ramparts. There were guards with bows by the guates and on the walls. She was trapped. Amari collapsed to her knees, then to her hands.

It was hopeless...She wasn’t sure she was even in Salvar anymore.

Adventurer

GP

Name
    Jacob (Jake) Narmolanya
    Race
    Elf / Human
    “Amari, come back!” Jake raced after the Salvic lass, his boots thudding on the oaken floorboards. He followed her outside and found her on all fours in the lush green grass of the Bandit Brotherhood’s courtyard. Jake had passed many a fine hour training in the sun there, sweating amongst the other hoods. It was a place of joy and freedom to him, so it seemed so strange to see his friend weeping openly there.

“Amari…” Jake knelt nearby, not making any effort to approach her. “You’re safe here, I promise. If you want to leave the fort you can… just let me come with you. You’d get lost. We’re in the middle of the forest Concordia.” He gestured at the thick leafy treetops visible beyond the high walls.

She barely lifted her head, she pressed herself further into the ground. Jake looked on helplessly as he noticed the grass around her seem to grow and shift toward her shivering form. The leafy blades lightly dancing against her skin. Her only other response was a whimper.

“What can I do, Amari?” The half elf asked. “How can I prove to you that all I say is true?”

“I- I don’t know...I’m scared.” She said, voice barely above a whisper. “I want to trust you.” The grass began to wrap around her legs, Amari either didn’t notice, or wasn’t bothered by it.

“Would you feel better outside the walls?” Jake asked. He’d have preferred to keep her within the hideout’s safety, but he was desperate to calm the girl down. “I could take you for a walk to the nearest village. It’s a pleasant place.” She nodded, and pulled the jacket further over her ill-dressed form. Jake grinned. “I’ll steal a few coins and buy you some new clothing. How does that sound?” She gave another small nod and lifted herself up and away from the ground, the grass that had surrounded her body relaxed and pulled free from her.

Jake led her to the hideout’s main gate, exchanging a few words with the guards there.

They opened the guardhouse and let the drawbridge down. The long trakym gate lowered until it spanned the moat which surrounded the fort. Jake gently took Amari’s hand and led her to the other side, and then whistled. With a groan of ropes and pulleys, the drawbridge reascended, and they were alone in the woods.

“This way,” Jake said, following a familiar game trail. He noted the faraway look in the Salvic girl’s eyes and made an effort to engage her. “I’m sure you could find work at an inn or a tavern, if you’d like,” he said, “that’s after we’ve got some coin and some food, and you’re properly dressed. You’re an excellent cook.” He patted his belly, recalling the delightful meal she’d shared. “Who taught you your way round a kitchen?” Jake moved ahead of Amari, parting branches for her and pointing out roots that intruded on the trail.

“Myself…” She said, her cheeks flushed as she shifted her gaze away from him. “I-I taught myself.”

“The village we’re headed for is called Aradine,” Jake explained as they wound their way around trees and shrubberies. “I’ve stolen some fantastic horses there, including my own steed, Gunner, back when he was a yearling.” Jake pointed as plumes of smoke from the town came into sight in the distance. “Look! We’re almost there!”

Shattered heart and Soul

GP

Name
    Amari L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel

View Profile
    The heat from his hand enclosed over hers seeped deep into her skin and prickled up her arm. It wasn’t unwelcome, but it was slightly uncomfortable. He spoke as though she were to live here with them. “Jake…” He didn’t hear her, he went on about horses and steeds. “Jake!”

He turned to look at her, he glanced down at their hands and he quickly let hers go. “Sorry!”

Amari shook her head, “Jake… You speak as though this is intended to be my home, but I have a home. I have a family. I - “ She paused as the half-elf interrupted her and shifted her vision away from him with a pointed finger. In the distance there was a small town upon the horizon. Surrounded by trees there were countless coloured rooftops, plumes of smoke wafted up into the clear sunny skies. “Aradine…?” She questioned, “I have never left my family estate before.” She admitted, before, Amari thought it a normal thing, but seeing the town below, so filled with signs of life - she began to wonder what exactly she had been shut away from.

“Never been off the estate?” Jake repeated. “Well then, we’ll have to celebrate! Just as soon as I get my hands on some coin… it will be easy, with you as a distraction. Redheads aren’t so common in Corone, and well…” he trailed off.

Amari instinctively pulled on her hair, “Brother said the same thing about Salvar…” Concern laced her voice. “Is there… something wrong with me?” she asked. “Is that why father was so aloof, and never allowed me to meet others?” Amari had to remind herself that she couldn’t trust this youth. He had taken her away from her home, and spoke of thievery and looting like it was nothing. Still, her curiosity got the better of her.

“What? No, Amari there’s nothing wrong with you. I don’t know why your father treated you as he did, but I’m sure it had to do with him, not you. And before… all I was going to say is that you’re particularly beautiful. You’ll be turning mens’ heads in Aradine, for certain.”

Amari offered Jake a wry smile, his words were sweet but they made her feel homesick. “Brother said the same thing.” Amari turned away from Jake as they headed into town. Amari became painfully aware of how little she wore, and of the lack of footwear she wore. She could feel the dirty ground, and the smaller rocks pinched her skin. “J-Jake.... People are staring.”

“I know, I’m sorry,” Jake said, “just keep walking toward that store. I’ll meet you there.” He nodded at a shop front several buildings down which displayed clothing and footwear, and then stepped away from her side and disappeared into the crowd.

Amari felt a sudden feeling of alarm wash over her as he slipped away from her and disappeared, she tried looking for him but had no sight of him.

“Miss, are you alright?”

A man had stopped in front of her, a look of concern on his features. “You look…” His steel blue eyes glanced up and down her form. “Out of place. No shoes, no real….clothing.” He stepped in closer, as though observing her pale features. “You look like you fell out of bed.”

“I-I’m Amari!” Amari said as she quickly bowed, “Pleasure to meet you, I ah…” She pointed to the store Jake had told her to head to. “I need to go there.”

The man blinked and looked over his shoulder at the small shop. “Ah! Restchilds!” He offered her a playful grin. “I can see why. You could certainly use some of their wares.” He returned her introduction with one of his own. “I am Noel. I am from Ettimere but am passing through here. Pleasure to meet you miss Amari. Would you like me to escort you there?”

Amari hesitated, taking a step away from the man. She wasn’t sure how she felt about it, he seemed nice enough, but so did Jake...and Jake had taken her away from her home. “A-Alright...but … can you tell me how far away we are from Salvar?”

Noel blinked in confusion. “Salvar? It’s across the ocean. A weeks travel at least, is that where you’re from?” The two began to walk toward the store, and the crowd parted for them. Noel was at least two heads taller than her, his long black hair tied neatly in a low ponytail behind him. He was well toned, with muscular arms. “It’s further than Ettimere that’s for sure. You from there?”

Amari gave a small nod, keeping pace behind him. “Y-yeh… I was hoping to go back...but I…” She paused as he stepped in front of her to open the door to the shop. A small bell chimed. She gave the man a confused look before stepping on through.

“Nothing good in Salvar, Miss Amari. But if you wish to return home, I may be able to be of some assistance.”

Adventurer

GP

Name
    Jacob (Jake) Narmolanya
    Race
    Elf / Human
    Jake had known that one of the men in the crowd would approach Amari - she was like a lodestone surrounded by iron filings. Of course, that man wasn’t Jake’s target. He would be too obvious. Instead, the half elf angled his way towards a middle-aged gentleman with grey in his hair, who was watching the unlikely pair walk toward the clothing shop. No doubt, he was fantasizing what it would have been like to be in the tall, dark haired man’s shoes, to be the one swooping in to save the damsel in distress.

Jake snuck up behind the salt-and-pepper fellow, cast a furtive glance around, and cut the leather strings tying the man’s purse to his belt. The coin pouch fell into Jake’s waiting pocket, and the half elf scurried away, looping in the opposite direction around the block. Not until he was halfway ‘round the block did the cries of thief! begin to echo. Jake circled around and came at the clothing shop from the opposite direction.

Dang it, Amari, you weren’t supposed to ACCEPT his company. He watched the redhead enter the shop alongside her new friend. Jake hastened in after them, a bell chiming above his head.

“Amari!” He exclaimed as if just finding her. “There you are! Let’s get you some clothes.” He nodded to the tall fellow with the ponytail. “Thanks for your assistance sir, I’m sure my friend looked a little lost.”

“I think that an understatement.” The man said evenly as he glanced at the girl, genuine concern etched on his features. “Miss Amari, this boy is your friend?” Amari nodded and the man loosened his tense stance. He turned his steel blue eyes back toward Jake. “My name is Noel.” He held his hand out to Jake.

“Jake Narmolanya,” the half elf replied. Noel had a firm grip that went with his gaze and personality. He probably fancies himself quite the white knight, Jake thought as he released the man’s hand. “Amari, pick out whatever suits you, and then we’ll get something to eat.”

Noel gave a small nod. “Miss Amari, remember what I said. I’ll be in town for another 3 days.” He gave both her and Jake a wave before turning to leave the store. Amari waved goodbye to him before turning back to Jake.

“I...uh. I pick?” She asked, a little startled at the realisation she had a choice. “Brother always had my clothes picked out for me.”

“Well I don’t know much about womens’ clothing,” Jake said, his ears heating up somewhat, “why don’t we start with a pair of shoes? Or some good boots.”

Amari pursed her lips and went about the store, picking out clothing for herself. She settled on black boots, a red dress that was a few shades lighter than her hair, with long sleeves and a emerald green cloak. The cashier, an older woman had gone into the back room with Amari, where they fitted her for undergarments a second pair were placed discreetly in a brown paper bag atop the pile of clothing sitting on the front counter.

“Are you sure this is ok?” Amari asked.

“Of course, you look great. Very Coronian.” Jake paid the woman behind the counter. The total lightened the purse in his pocket considerably, but he still had more than enough to get them a good meal. “Are you hungry?” He asked as they left the shop.

“No.” She said.

The sounds of her stomach said otherwise.

“Come on,” Jake laughed, taking her hand and leading her toward a particular in. “This place has wonderful hotcakes.”

Shattered heart and Soul

GP

Name
    Amari L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel

View Profile
    The same heated sensation coursed through her body as he grabbed her hand and Amari shifted uncomfortably. “I don’t know what hotcakes are.” She mumbled, trying to pull away from his energetic grasp, to no avail. “Jake… we need to talk… I can’t-”

“Hotcakes are amazing Amari! You will love them.”

Amari gave a defeated sigh as Jake pulled her into yet another establishment, this one more crowded than the small store. He lead her to a booth in the corner, where the two sat down on red cushioned chairs, before she could open her mouth to speak Jake signalled one of the staff over. A blonde girl who couldn’t be any older than Amari. Jake asked for two of ‘the usual’ the girl thanked him by name and offered him a wink and a squeeze of his shoulder.

“Do… you know her?” Amari asked curiously.

“I’ve been by this way a few times before,” Jake said with a smile.

Amari shifted her gaze down to the table. The town seemed nice enough, and Jake earnest enough. Still, things weren’t adding up. “I want to go home.” Amari said with finality as she lifted her gaze to meet Jake. “I want to see the truth myself.”

Jake nodded. “I can take you home, if that’s what you really want. But I have another suggestion that might prove the truth to you. And we may as well at least get something to eat first. Is that fair?”

Amari blinked. It was that easy? To just ask….?

“Yes! Of course!” She said, straightening her back. She had the answer she wanted, she had a promise and all she could do now was accept Jake’s word, and agree to his request, it was only fair. She glanced back down at the table again, feeling confused at the lack of cutlery. Instead of asking where the others were Amari felt she had to make do with what she had. “What was your suggestion?” She asked, daintily preparing the table for the meal, shuffling the silverware to their correct positions.

“That syringe still had some of the serum your brother injected you with in it.” Jake said. “I know someone who knows a good alchemist in Akashima. If we took the serum to him, maybe he could find a way to bring your memories back. Then you wouldn’t want to go home, I promise you.”

“I’ve ….never heard of those places. How long would it all take? I have...I have to go home soon Jake. My family would be worried about me. Brother and Father are due to return home in two days.”

“Anywhere you need to be is only a step away, when you’re with me.” Jake grinned. “After we eat, I’ll portal us to Akashima. If we’re lucky, we might be able to see the alchemist in a few hours.”

Amari nodded, she opened her mouth to ask another question but before she could continue, the young girl returned, placing a tray of ‘hotcakes’ in front of both Amari and Jake. Amari noticed Jakes had more strawberries and cream than her own. “To remind you of last time.” The girl said to Jake with an extra wink as she left, virtually ignoring Amari.

Amari found it curious, and wondered if he really liked strawberries. If he did, and he were telling the truth, she’d have to make him something to say thank you. Amari turned to Jake, waiting for him to eat first, his ears and face were flush with red. “Are you alright?” She asked.

“Just hungry,” Jake muttered, and took a big bite of hotcakes.

As he cut into his own meal, Amari followed suit. Quietly eating. Not once did her knife or fork scrape the plate, nor did she spill any food. Her noble upbringing shining through in the simple act of eating. Amari enjoyed the meal, every so often she’d pause to compliment it and Jake, for his choice. When finished Amari set the cutlery down soundlessly. “Thank you Jake. I think I needed that.”

Adventurer

GP

Name
    Jacob (Jake) Narmolanya
    Race
    Elf / Human
    “Glad you’re feeling better,” Jake grinned, “I find Aradine is always good for a pick-me-up.” The half elf had eaten like a wolf, in stark contrast to Amari, leaving crumbs down his front and cream on his upper lip. The buxom serving girl came by to clear their dishes, and made a point of wiping the cream from Jake’s lip with her thumb, scooping it into her own mouth and smiling as she carried the plates and cutlery away.

Jake turned red and glance toward Amari, who simply sat, completely oblivious to the undertones and implications of the womans actions, he caught Amari’s gaze and turned his eyes down to his lap.

“She’s lovely.” Amari commented, “But I don’t think she likes me very much.” Her voice held a tone of concern. “Did I do something to offend her? I am not aware of any customs in Corone.”

“What, Karen? No, you’re fine,” Jake said, mixing up his sentences, “I mean, she’s just shy towards new people. And really, really friendly once she gets to know you.” He tugged at the black silk scarf he wore around his neck.

“Oh.” Amari seemed relieved. “I am glad I did not offend her.” She offered him a supportive smile. Taking his lie, hook line and sinker. “Are you sure you are ok? Did you need to rest before we head to Akashima?”

“Actually, a quick nap would do me a world of good.” Jake cast a concerned look at the redhead. “If you’re not in too much of a hurry?”

Amari glanced away, her smile faltering. She slowly shook her head as her gaze shifted from him, her tone was subdued. “If my male companion wishes to rest, I must oblige, and ensure he rests.” Amari stood, and stepped out from the table, pushing her chair in with narry a scrape against the wooden floorboard. “Shall we?” She asked.

“What kind of talk is that?” Jake asked. He scrubbed his dirty hands through tired eyes and raked his dirty blond locks. “Is that Salvic custom, or something your brother taught you?”

“Both brother and father ensued I knew all their needs were to be met, and taken care of before my own.” Amari frowned, her hands gripping the back of the chair. “Brother was very insistent on it. Does it bother you? Did you need me to fetch you anything before we leave?”

“Look, that’s not,” Jake frowned and stood up. People were beginning to watch them again. “Let’s just go, shall we?” He ushered her toward the door and held it for her. When they stepped outside they stepped into Akashima, their boots and shoes landing on the lush green grass that surrounded the Great Crystal Spire. Jake had spent many hours at the famous monument in the middle of the Capital City, memorizing the place well enough to portal there at any time.

“That might be how your brother and father treated you,” Jake said, finishing his thought from earlier, “but that’s not how your friends will treat you. Welcome to Akashima.”

Shattered heart and Soul

GP

Name
    Amari L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel

View Profile
    Her eyes widened at the sight, and she took a few steps back. “I-I….” She struggled to find the right words to explain it. Rolling skies of blue, the sound of the rolling waves, the taste and smell of salt on the air. “Is that..the ocean?” Amari breathed, her eyes staring at the large crystalline spire that seemed to magically pierce the skye and cast a glimmering light on the surrounding town.

“W-wait…” She tore her eyes away from the scenery to rest on Jake. “You said you wished to nap? Do you plan to do so here?”

“I’m fine,” Jake said, although the dark circles under his eyes betrayed him. “Do you want to get a closer look at the water?”

Amari wanted to say yes, she wanted to explore this new place, even with her family waiting...she had two days till they returned home. Still… “Jake…” Amari stepped closer to him, her voice laced with concern as she reached out to brush his hair away from his eyes. “You sound tired. You never got to sleep the other night, did you?”

“I got a few winks here and there,” Jake said, putting on a brave smile that crumpled beneath her concern. “Alright Amari, look, let’s get to my friend Raff’s place. I can nap there, and I’m sure he’d take you to see the alchemist, if you like.” He patted the pocket containing the syringe with the bit of serum remaining.

Amari frowned, remembering the very real and very dire situation she was in. She was across the sea from Salvar...with a half elf she barely knew, who may or may not have drugged her and taken her against her will. “R-right.” Amari gave Jake a nod who wearily smiled back at her and began to lead her through the streets of Akashima.

As they passed by the various shops, and stalls the redheaded noble couldn’t help but notice something odd about some of the inhabitants. Fluffy ears. Tails. Fur. “Cats…?” She asked, confused. Did they have big bipedal pets here? Was that even possible? Some of them looked more human than others.

“Those are the Nekojin,” Jake explained, “try not to stare at them too much. They aren’t usually prickly about it, but you never know…” He gave one of the passing cat people a smile and a half-bow. “They’ve been in Akashima as long as anyone can remember.”

I want to pet one…

Amari had to duck out of the way of an extremely exuberant one, the girl looked more human than anything else, a short blue bob, blue ears and a tail, she came bounding down the street, laughing maniacally. “A-are they all….” She watched the blue headed catgirl leave a trail of chaos behind her. “So...energetic? Is your friend Raff one?” Amari covered her mouth, realizing her faux paux. “I am sorry…. Was that rude?”

“Don’t worry about it,” Jake laughed, “and no, Raff is an Akashiman human. You’ll like him, he’s very friendly.” The smell of fish grew strong as they progressed alongside a low wharf. The dwellings here were all ramshackle wood, stacked dangerously on top of one another up to five stories high. It both unnerved and excited Amari to see something so starkly different.

Down another street, and another corner, they came upon a tall rickety staircase, which they climbed to the top tier of the buildings. Jake stopped at a particular oaken door and knocked in a distinct pattern. A youthful male voice burst from within, followed by a small Akashiman boy.

“Jake! I didn’t expect to see you for another few months!” The boy nearly tackled Jake off the top of the swaying wooden construct, and the two wrestled along the dangerously creaking railing.

Amari’s heart beat fast against her chest. That’s it...Jake was going to get them killed. Him and this...this boy...they were going to knock her off the railing and she’d loose her footing and she’d… Amari turned pale an immedietly gripped the railing hard.

“Stop it!” Jake laughed, “Look, Raff, I brought a friend. This is Amari. Amari, this is my Akashiman brother, Rafael.” Amari gave him a nod, refusing to let go of the rails.

“Pleasure, to meet you…” She spoke, even with her trepidation it was clear she had a noble accent. She lowered her head again as a sign of respect to Rafael.

“Jake, why’d you bring a noble-lady to this neck of the woods?” Raff bowed low over the redhead’s hand. “Forgive me, milady, didn’t mean to startle you.”

“I-inside please..if you don’t mind!” Amari blurted out, then immedietly flushed and wished she hadn;t. Amari wasn’t afraid of heights… she had climbed the tree in the yard back home, but that tree was stable, and it felt safe. This didn’t feel like either of those two things. “Jake needs rest.” Amari added, hoping it’d coax the dark haired youth to let them into his abode.

“Oh, of course,” Raff exclaimed, almost tripping over his own feet to hold the door for her. “You’re welcome here, milady. Hope you don’t mind the mess too much…”

Amari nodded and stepped into the room. It was an understatement to call it ‘messy’ In the centre of the room sat a low table one would have to kneel to sit at. Upon further inspection there seemed to be a recess in the floor, so you could comfortably place your feet underneath it. There were crumbled up food packets strewn across the floor, in the corner sat a pile of dirtied clothes, and in another...dishes. Amari clenched her teeth and had to avoid the temptation to start tidying up. There were two other doors that lead to other rooms, one semed to be quite rowdy. “Thank you for your hospitality…” Amari quietly said as she carefully stepped between the trash and sat at the cleanest looking space at the table. She fiddled with her hands, waiting for both him and Jake to join her before she blurted out.

“Actually...I need help too. If you do not mind. Jake could quite possibly explain it far better than I can.” Amari turned to Jake, almost pleading for him to continue.

Adventurer

GP

Name
    Jacob (Jake) Narmolanya
    Race
    Elf / Human
    “Well, it’s not much of a happy story,” Jake said as Raff’s almond eyes turned toward him expectantly. “It starts off alright though. I was in Salvar trying to track down a demon, and I happened to meet Amari.” Jake blushed slightly and tugged at his scarf, omitting the part where he’d broken into the noblewoman’s house, intent on burglarizing it. “She invited me to dinner, and to spend the night… only, her brother came home unexpectedly. He flew into a rage and injected her with something-”

Jake pulled the syringe from his pocket and placed it delicately on the table. Amari visibly stiffened.

“-something that made her behave like one of the Mindless, and made her forget what happened. We only just got away. But like I said, she doesn’t remember what happened. I was thinking maybe-”

“The Warlock?” Raff interrupted, bending at the waist to take a closer look at the syringe. “I bet he could mix up an antivenom, if anyone could… but Jake, you know he’s-”

Jake pulled the purloined coinpurse from another pocket and plunked it down next to the syringe. “This should take care of it,” Jake said confidently. He yawned, his jaw cracking audibly, and shook his head. “My dire wolves are growling,” he said tiredly. “Would you mind taking her to see the old miser while I catch some winks?”

“Of course,” Raff smiled, “I’m just glad you caught me at home. I’m usually out… at work.” He smiled at Amari. “Is that alright with you, milady?” He picked up the syringe and the bag of gold, pocketing both.

She seemed uncomfortable with the idea, but gave a small complacent nod. “It will be fine. I do not see the reason for an antivenom, if I am no longer under its effects, but…” Her eyes shifted toward Jake. “I understand the need for one.”

“Take good care of her, Raff,” Jake said, stretching. He stood and disappeared through the door which led to the quieter room. Rafael perked up at a chance to be alone with the pretty high-born lady and, once again, stumbled on his path to holding the door for her.

“Don’t be afraid on the stairs, milady. I know they groan and sway, but they’ve been standing since before I was born.” The comment did not appear to assuage the girl’s concern, so he offered her his arm as they climbed down the rickety stairs.

Raff led the redhead west into the heart of the capital, where the buildings were made of stone and the streets smelled of baked goods cooling in windows rather than rotting fish guts. They came upon a particular estate surrounded by a wrought iron fence with an arched gate. Despite the obvious expense of the intricately designed three story house, the grounds were disheveled, and the windows all had black curtains hung behind them. It looked abandoned… except for the large half-orc standing guard at the gate.

“Ye’ wanna’ see The Warlock?” The half-orc asked as they approached. He put his right hand on the cudgel strapped to his belt, and his left hand in his pocket, jangling the coins there. “Pay us first, pretty boy and pretty girl.”

Raff pulled two thick golden coins out of the pouch in his pocket and offered them to the guard, who scooped them up and added them to his collection.

“G’wan then,” he said, unlatching the gate for them, “he ain’t busy today.”

The Akashiman boy felt as if he was pulling the Salvic girl down the walkway, but she came willingly enough. Her small and dainty hand felt warm in his grip. They made it to the expansive double doors, and then Raff reached out and lifted the large brass knocker.

“Lucky for us, he’s having a slow day,” he said with a smile.