Thread: Guilty (Closed)

EXP: 10,420, Level: 4
    Level completed: 29%, EXP required for next Level: 3,580
    Level completed: 29%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,580

GP

Name
    Samantha Ambria
    The next morning she stirred, she knew that she had been extremely vulnerable last night. Aerith would have chided her for being so sentimental, quietly she got up, and grabbed a few logs setting them in a square configuration. Lighting the fire she nodded and took a water skin from her satchel. Quickly changing shirts she carefully poured a bit of water and washed her face, hiding the tear streaks.

She had experience pulling herself back together.

Feeling like she had successfully freshened up, she ventured a glance at Scarlet looking at the woman as she slept. Her mother had told her once that you could tell more about a person by watching them sleep, than you ever could awake. People would hide things, even the most open person in the world would never reveal everything. Sleep, was when the mask came off, and if you watched carefully, you could get a glimpse of the person underneath. She studied Scarlet's sleeping form, knowing it was probably past the point she could get such a glimpse. When she saw nothing change she shrugged and moved to leave the cave to look for food, she left her pack behind, letting Scarlet know she’d be back.

The morning are was crisp a comforting relief to the woman who was still pulling herself together. Her father was a sore subject, and Scarlet had pulled quite a bit out of her. She didn't even know why it bothered her so much to hear a declaration he loved her. She knew he had cared to some extent, she just also knew that it wasn't enough to risk her life, like he couldn't trust her. She could feel the old cauldron of emotions inside bubbling and stamped it down. One night of blubbering and reminiscing was enough, any more was an indulgence and one she wasn't looking for. She shook her head and sighed looking for signs of wild game in the area and muttered, “Leave it to family to make me a wreck…”

It didn't take long before she spied tracks. Moving carefully she pulled her dagger, carefully stalking her prey. Reaching what looked like an empty log she moved carefully until she saw it, a dirty brown hare hiding in the hollowed out log. She smirked and moved slowly, trying not the startle it and got as close as she could, out of sight of the hare. Knife in hand she carefully gauged where it should be before she stabbed her blade down, wounding the critter and causing it to begin to flee. It was hobbled unable to move fast before she scruffed it and ended its life quickly. Moving back to the cave she smiled and said, “Rabbit for breakfast sounds perfect..

Careful not to drag the carcass against the ground she entered the cave and sighed looking to where she had last seen Scarlet and said. “Rise and shine Lady Scarlet! I caught us some breakfast, and we have a runaway to catch…”

Scarlet had already woken, dressed, and put out the fire. She had her own pack on and looked as though she were ready to leave. “What? Do we have time to be eating now?”

Sam looked down at the rabbit and sighed before she shrugged, “Got a point. She's already cut across territory I wasn't expecting her to go, I'll save it for dinner or after we catch her…” She grabbed a small bit of rope and tied it to her satchel, “Alright, let's go, I just want this to be over.”

Once more she crawled out of the cave and dusted herself off, waiting for Scarlet as she looked around her eyes now looking for signs finger prey. To be honest she felt the most herself while hunting, being free to chase down and capture her prey, it was something she was good at. Though a part of her was startled at how good she was at hunting her fellow man. It took her a moment before she nodded, “She's heading for the forest's edge, we don't catch her today, she won't be caught. Too many roads to double back and take. Too many crowds to duck and hide in, hell if I was her I'd be hiding in a caravan soon as I saw one, doesn't matter where it goes, so long as it's not Underwood.”

“Right. Let’s go.” Scarlet said. It was almost as if last night didn’t happen. She was either pretending it didn’t happen for Samantha’s sake, or was it something else? Samantha was a little worried, because all it would take is Scarlet telling Aerith about last night and it would be over. She'd be locked up and chained to that fucking wheelchair again. Thayne she hated Aerith's wheelchair.

Moving along she frowned seeing boot prints in the ground and snapped her fingers to get the crimson haired girls attention. She wrinkled her nose as the trail, moving out of N’jalian territory. If it was Anastasia Rios, it made sense. She followed the trail heading out of the woods and muttered, “Let's hope you aren't expecting us, or we're going to regret this…”

The trail continued for a couple of hours the prints deep, indicating she wasn't running, each step was deliberate and methodical. Finally she led to a small cave that Samantha explored. A fire ring had been built and a hand touching the bare ground beneath it indicated it was only slightly warm. It had been used this morning, and had they enjoyed breakfast they would have lost the trail. Samantha mumbled softly to herself and exited the cave to a waiting Amari and gestured forth, “She was here this morning. I think she's trying to not get caught and slowed down to make sure she could avoid the spiders. I mean it's smart, but she blew her days head start.”

Shattered heart and Soul

EXP: 76,735, Level: 11
    Level completed: 98%, EXP required for next Level: 265
    Level completed: 98%,
    EXP required for next Level: 265

GP

Name
    Amari L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel

View Profile
    “You shouldn’t snap at me like I’m a dog.” Amari warned, not appreciating the gesture. Who the hell did this woman think she was? Just last night she was a blithering mess, barely able to get a handle of her own emotions. Now she was snappin her fingers at Amari. The redheaded assassin sighed as she ran her hands through her hair. She didn’t sleep well the night before, if at all, and was irritable to say the least.

“Let’s just get this over and done with, I want a long, hot bath.”

“I'm sure you'll be able to go as long as you want,” Samantha replied softly. She seemed to be more enamored with the trail and following it, the words more distant.

The two continued through the forest, and it wasn’t before long that sounds of muttering and snapping twigs were head up ahead. It seemed that both Amari and Samantha had a strong idea on who it was, it was their target, Amari had forgotten the fugitives name, but found herself uncaring to learn it. must be pretty fuckin’ full of herself to be making such a racket, did she really think she wouldn’t be followed? Or that she’d have gotten away? Amari supposed that it could have been possible if Samantha were alone. She felt the girl was…. Somewhat capable, but her emotions were all over the place, whilst Amari didn’t like the idea of a ‘keeper’ she could understand why they had implemented such a thing.

The two slowed down as they closed in on their target, Amari signalled for Samantha to shift toward the left blocking off the woman. Her blonde hair was pulled back in a tight ponytail, though her clothes looked as if the forest had snagged them more than once, holes that would need patching showing in more than one place.

There was a burst of crackling energy as the four tell tale tentacles erupted from Amaris back, the immediate area began to decay and hiss, this caught the attention of the blonde haired girl. Her eyes widened as she saw Amari. “Who the fuck are you?” She drew up to her full height, but seemed unarmed, “You don’t look like you’re with the cult….”

“I’m not, but I’m hired by them.”

“Do you have ANY idea what they’re-” Her frantic screeches were cut off as one of the red tentacles whipped out and wrapped itself around the girl's throat. She gripped helplessly at the ethereal tendrils before falling to her knees, tears stinging her eyes. “Now… I can’t recall...was I supposed to bring you in alive, or dead?” Amari’s eyes rose to Samantha who was now behind their target. “Samantha?”

“Good morning Miss Ryos,” Samantha replied with fake cheer, “I had a little bird tell me you were an Ixian Spy, and that you left the Mansion to tell someone things. Now, I want to bring you in alive, but well you know how the Dark Family gets. You have a choice, you can do this the easy way, or the hard way. Personally I got some worked up frustration to get through, so I'm praying to the Dark Mother you choose the hard way. What did you find out that meant you had to run back to Lady Orlouge?”

The woman choked out a garbled reply, to which Samantha sighed and looked at Amari. She shrugged and spoke, “I should at least see what she knows, then we can finish this up.”

Amari loosened the hold her ethereal tendrils had on the blonde haired woman, they surrounded her, keeping her in close check. She knew that if she moved, she’d be burnt just like the angry scarring around her neck suggested.

Amari had her own questions running around in her head, first - Samantha was treating the dark mother like some sort of deity? It was completely absurd, she disliked that but kept that to herself. THe next thing was the mention of the Ixian Knights, people Amari had run ins with.People who had helped her and were kind to her, but also…. People who were a direct enemy of the Crimson Hand. Amari kept silent, acting as the stoic guard to ensure the waif would not escape whilst Samantha did her thing. Whatever it was.

GP

Name
    Samantha Ambria
    Anastasia Ryos, the right hand of Aislinn Orlouge, who had trained the medical staff of the Ixian Knights. The woman was a celebrated member, one panther thirteen original members of Aislinn's cadre. She had seen better days, with the dirt on her hands, and the mud on her skirt. Her hair was slipping from that perfect ponytail, looking like a frayed mess that attempted order. Her eyes locked on Samantha with an uncomfortable certainty before she sighed and spoke, “Thank the Thayne it's you Samantha. Please! Come with me, we can keep you safe-”

“Shut. Up.”

Miss Ryos recoiled as if struck by Samantha as she looked at the girl who had been hardened by the Cult. Samantha glowered at the woman as she pulled her sword and stabbed it into the dirt in front of the woman. It was how she reminded her victims what was on the line, while she decided how to kill them. She circled the woman and spoke, “You have guts, cutting through the N’jalian territory like that. It makes me wonder what's so important, you'd risk the Dark Mother’s justice to report back. You may speak.”

The hunt was over, the thrill of it dashed by this woman's poor ability to flee. Samantha had actually been excited about this hunt, until the sloppiness of her prey spoiled it. Ryos looked pleadingly up at her, and Samantha could see this woman was no warrior. Still she managed to maintain some semblance of composure when she spoke, “You, the whole point of me entering the mansion was to find you. I watched, and left when I thought I could get back, but they sent you after me. Don't you see Samantha? You can be free of them, free of this!”

Samantha's expression became unreadable as she looked at the woman. She had a point, this was by far her best chance at escaping the cage, however Scarlet, despite her sour mood was one of the nicer people in the Warden’s life. She would have to kill Scarlet in order to be free. She shook her head and clicked her tongue in reproach, “Did you honestly expect me to believe that tripe? You aren't the first spy the Ixian's infiltrated the Cult with. I've put down at least two myself. Further, why the shift to me so suddenly? No, while Taka may be a fool, he's not stupid enough to waste lives like that. For all I hear of the Dark Blade he'd rather save his strength for when he feels he should strike. So Taka didn't send you, Talen Shadowwalker doesn't care, William Arcus never cared about anyone in his life other than his dead wife, Kylanna is dead, killed in the Night of Debauchery, and Sei is hiding under a rock somewhere probably pissing himself for breaking his vow to preserve life. I just can't find anyone dumb enough to send one of Aislinn’s most trusted doctors into the viper's nest.

“Your father?” Scarlet interjected with a raised brow.

Samantha shrugged and looked pointedly at the woman before her who shook her head, “Your father remains in the shadows as he always has since the night. Aislinn sent me, said that if I could find you, we might be able to get that information to him. Let Seth solve the prob-”

A boot lashed out hitting the woman across the jaw. Ryos let out a cry of pain before Samantha carefully collected the simmering hot rage in her chest, “So I'm the carrot before the horse. How fucking fantastic. What else do you know? Keep in mind this determines whether I kill you or bring you back in alive.”

“I thought I saw the door to the basement, other than that, nothing,” Ryos replied fear obviously gripping her.

“Where?” Samantha barked sharply.

“The Main Foyer, behind the statue, there was a squared off alcove. Most of the servants stand in it to clean the statue but, I saw the back wall missing one day, or thought I did,” She replied.

Samantha sighed looking down, “Well, that’s that. It was a fun hunt, with the exception of your glaring blunders, but like all good things this too shall end. Any last words?”

“Sam, we can save you-”

A fist rocked the woman’s face as Samantha hissed, “Don't act like you care now. How many beatings Ryos? How many times did you watch that hillbilly fuck dump me like a corpse in my room? How many times did you stand there and watch Draug and Katherine threaten to kill me on the spot to get at my father? You did nothing! Just like the Knights did nothing. You rescued Akiv, and left me to rot.”

“We tried, please Sam, let your Lavinian pride go and-” She flinched as Samantha raised her fist to strike again. Samantha was seeing red and moved to lower it on the woman. As Samantha went to punch Ryos in the face again Scarlet caught her by the wrist. The Warden gave a hostile glare to the red haired woman and seemed to wait for her to speak.

The woman held fast. “You got everything you need from her, anything beyond that is pointless and you’d be falling into the behaviour of the very people you just criticised.” Scarlet let go of Samantha’s wrist, signalling that her words were just advice, and that she wouldn’t stop Samantha from continuing if she wanted. “Or did last night mean nothing?” It was the first Scarlet mentioned Samantha’s breakdown. “I won’t stop you doing what you want. Cause and effect.”

Samantha carefully fixed her clothing, before she nodded, “You're right. I have a job to do, and as much as I want to beat her into the ground I can't let my emotions get the better of me. I'd be no better than Jeb.”

“So secure her, and let's head back.”

Ryos was crying on the forest floor silently while Samantha narrowed her eyes, “You don't even know me, don't pretend to care. I was given your verdict before I left, and now it's time to carry through sentence. Anastasia Ryos, for the crime of spycraft, you have been found guilty. You are to receive the Dark Mother’s Forgiveness for your crime…”

Ryos looked up a look of fear on her face as she spoke, “Please, Sam, you aren't like this. You're a good person...like your mother. You aren't like them Sam, please don't…” Samantha pulled a dagger from her belt as the blade lazily began to play about in her hand. It was nowhere near as skilled as her father, but any who had seen the two with a knife, could tell one had influenced the other.

“You're ruining the moment, shut up and do nothing. That seems to be all you're good for anyways,” Samantha replied to the cries before gripping Ryos’ hair in a glove covered hand. She jerked the woman’s head back and sighed, as if tasked with something mundane.

Tears streaked the woman’s face before the woman blurted out, “Your father would be disappointed to see you like this…”

Samantha stopped upon hearing those words. Her chest went hollow, as she looked down at Ryos, who seemed to stare defiantly at her killer. She narrowed her eyes for only a moment and watched as the woman closed her eyes, accepting her death. Samantha felt something click and brought the pommel of her dagger down on the woman’s head, knocking her out. The dagger was sheathed in a practiced maneuver before she spoke, “You don't deserve the Dark Mother’s Forgiveness. No, now you get worse…” Her gaze rose to Scarlet before she spoke her voice hoarse as if she had been yelling, “Rope please, we're wrapping her up as a gift.”

Shattered heart and Soul

GP

Name
    Amari L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel

View Profile
    “You really need to can it with that dark mother shit, it sounds a little like obsession.” Amari muttered as she pulled out the rope and handed it to Samantha. Amari watched as the white haired girl began to bind their unconscious prisoner. What kind of fucked up shit did this place indulge in? Amari knew her view of Lye was twisted, but the two had a somewhat symbiotic relationship. This? This wasn’t exactly healthy nor good for Samantha, and hearing constant mentions of this dark mother person left a sour taste in Amari’s mouth.

“It's an act, though don't tell Aerith that. I am the Warden and I have a job to do, I need to play the part of Cassandra’s enforcer, and that means platitudes to her,” Samantha replied tying up the woman tightly, “Sadly they're obsessed with her, so it means I have to lay it on thick they fucked up, and Cassandra is not happy, which is why I'm there to begin with.”

Course, whatsherface was right, Seth would lose his shit if he saw her like this. He’d get worked up and fear losing her, and in a sense, he was right. Even hearing Samantha’s words, Amari was not entirely convinced. “You know, I have half a mind to rip apart this ‘dark mother’ just to prove she ain’t the top shit everyone keeps going on about.” Amari muttered as the two began to backtrack, heading back the way they came. Even with Samantha carrying the other woman, they made quick time, since they were no longer tracking someone.

“I wouldn't try, she went toe to toe with Sei and only had a bloody nose. Taka went all out on her and landed one blow before she laid him out,” Samantha responded, “She’s not a victim.”

Amari shrugged, “Honestly. I don’t care, she could rip me apart and I’d just come at her again, and again. Or until I got bored I guess. People like her honestly piss me right off.” Amari shook her head, she knew she was treading dangerous waters, talking about killing off some apparently immortal woman, who was the saviour of the very people who hired her. Still, Samantha seemed to have a semblance of a level head on her, and Amari felt confident enough the other woman would keep Amari’s words to herself, even if it were to just avoid the punishment of not killing Amari for some sort of insubordination or whatever the fuck they’d call it.

“If we keep this pace, we should be able to make it to the manor by nightfall, unless you wanted to stop.”

“Just a brief one, I figure the locals might be a little hungry…” Samantha answered a bit of anger entering her voice.

Amari took the hint, it was so glaringly obvious. “You’re going to dump her with those Magi Spiders?” The red headed assassin shrugged, “I mean… you do you, I’d have preferred to have some words with her myself, for my own gain, but I won’t stop you. This ain’t about me, it’s all about you, sunshine.”

“If you want to talk to her we still got daylight. Even if we stop for a bit we might want to camp out before heading into the mansion proper so the delay won't be noticeable,” Samantha offered, “She isn't going anywhere, and not like any information she gives will be traced…”

Amari threw Samantha a wry smile, “Aww. You’d do that for lil’ ol’ me?”

“So long as she's alive, I don't care what you do to her,” Samantha replied a bitter smile on her face, “Far as I care she's already dead, the state of her corpse is negotiable.”

Amari shrugged, “The Ixians are a major threat to the Crimson Hand, any information I can pry from her would be useful. I’ve had a run in with them at their castle, but they were very amicable. It was unnerving honestly.” Amari sighed, “But honestly. We do not have the time.” Amari waved her arm toward the unconscious blonde. “Do what you need to do, and lets go.”

GP

Name
    Samantha Ambria
    They moved silently through the forest. Samantha could tell Lady Scarlet didn’t approve. She wouldn't have said anything otherwise. It was an odd hypocrisy that surrounded the woman, trying to let Samantha do her own thing, but placing her stamp of approval or disdain on the things about her, as if she were final arbiter on what was acceptable. Samantha let most of it slide, but the idea of feeding Ryos to the Spider Magi certainly threw her red headed companion for a loop.

Samantha wasn’t sure herself if she could see it through. However, she was determined to be left alone. If she did this, if she threw Ryos to the wolves, then her fears would be wholly founded. She was afraid that she would end up just like her father, a bitter husk of a man that fumbled about his life, not knowing what to do. She already felt emptier inside after taking Hex Magic and using it. Was this the decisions that tore her father apart?

She had seen the aftermath of her father’s rage, the destroyed enclaves of cultist, bodies strewn about with precisions blows to throat or chest. The legend of the Lavinian Demon was known by any who had spent even a modicum of time in the underworld. She had seen him, and even lived with him for a couple of years, but he always seemed not all there. She hadn’t understood at the time, thinking him just being aloof, and distant. Her mother tried to assure Samantha that Seth was just like that nowadays.

How painful hindsight was.

Ryos stirred on her shoulder as she threw the woman to the ground. The Warden’s back and shoulders ached from the exertion of carrying the former medical staffer. Looking at the woman impassively she sighed before she looked across the clearing to the cave. Already skittering could be heard as something monstrous made its ways out of the caves. The first thing Samantha noticed was the legs, eight of them. She should have expected it, but really so many tales were exaggerated. Looking over the creature she tensed, but managed to stifle the gasp as she looked at its face.

Where there should have been features, there was only smooth skin. No ears, no eyes, no nose. It looked about the area and settled on the three women before a voice, somehow went through the clearing. It is not everyday prey comes to my doorstep.

“I come to bargain,” Samantha said firmly. She trampled down the fear she felt, knowing it would do her no good. Her voice sounded firm, even as she made sure a hand rested on the pommel of her daggers.

You offer me nothing I could not already take. What reason do I have for not calling my friends and grabbing all of you. The Ar’Tuel would certainly please our Lady, The voice was obnoxiously smug.

Samantha let the anger carry her, anger was far preferable to terror. It moved forward slowly, trying to intimidate her with it’s very presence as she spoke, “If you had that power we wouldn't be talking. While the Cult of N’jal works together, that means they share the glory. You want to share three new toys?”

It paused in its steps and leaned down, bringing its flat face level to the warden’s. The voice spoke, a tenor of intrigue in it, Go on.

“Three new souls to play with is nothing, what if I could get you more than three? We’ve been having problems disposing with traitors and those who give in too much to their...vices. I’m sure you could use a few more thralls. COnsider this the first of a new line for you,” Samantha offered.

The N’jalian Spider Magi stood up at it’s full height and stroked what should have been a chin before it nodded, Very well, go back to your caretakers, tell them that so long as they give me a fresh thrall every full moon, they shall enjoy the protection of the N’jal. I have a new toy to play with.

Samantha nodded as she cut Ryos free and shoved her towards the Magi. The medic looked about and gave Samantha a panicked expression, “No, don’t do it Sam...you’re better than this.”

“Maybe when I was with you, time has a wonderful way of twisting everything in its grasp,” Samantha replied coldly. She gestured up at the N’jalian, “Have fun with your new master.”

The N’jalian laughed before it spoke You know her? Oh, how delicious. Are you to watch?

Samantha thought about it for a moment before she nodded. If she was going to execute the woman by handing her over to the N’jalians, she would need to watch. She needed to know Ryos wouldn't be telling anyone the cult’s secrets. Further, Samantha wasn’t comfortable sentencing someone to death without watching sentence carried out. She steeled herself as the N’jalian reached out, and gently touched Ryos’ head.

The woman hunched, holding her stomach as if a great pain suddenly erupted from it. Sh moaned softly and shook her head, looking at Samantha for help. Falling to her knees the moan rose to the pitch of a scream as hair began to fall out in clumps, her body decaying before the Warden and the Right Hand. Before their eyes her visage became that of a zombie before Samantha looked up at the Magi, “She’s dead?”

Oh no, she is alive, immortal, but alive. She will wander this forest as my servant, until I grow bored and leave her somewhere. She will be a fine prize, to add to my collection, The Magi replied before it gestured, When you see your Dark Mother, let her know that we approve of her indulgences. Even if she seeks a spot next to the Thayne, she exalts N’jal with her every breathe. We appreciate the corruption she births into the world.

“Very well, thank you. I must return to my home,” Samantha replied. She looked back over her shoulder to Scarlet and spoke, “If you don’t want anything we should go.”

Shattered heart and Soul

GP

Name
    Amari L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel

View Profile
    Amari placed a gentle and reassuring hand upon Samantha’s back. This wasn’t exactly the assassins cup of tea, but she wasn’t going to chide or press Samantha to change her mind. Amari was confused, granted, but who was she to cast judgement? At least vocally, she could keep her thoughts to herself, and had a good enough mind to do just that.

“Well.” Amari said finally, “Fuck me.” She lazily glanced up at the magi spider, it knew what she was. It wanted her. She offered the spider a smirk. If it could see what she was, surely it could see what she was capable of, and Amari was confident that she would not fall to the same fate as their now useless companion. Her body maybe… but not her soul. Amari stared at the featureless flesh of its face. It reminded her of Gimmel.

If you wish to join us spirit, you need only say so. We can free you from your prison of flesh, The tone was wry, as if he thought he was being seductive. He reached a hand forward to Amari.

“No.” Amari said quietly, her lips terse. She batted its hand away, where her flesh hit it, her skin burned and necrosis flaked at her, but just as quickly as it formed golden light replaced it and healed her. “You offer a false freedom, we may have more in common than I am aware of, but our meeting here is done.” Amari took a step closer, almost challenging the spider. “Unless of course, you hurt Samantha, then I will return. Less than amicable.”

It looked between the two of them before it shook its bulbous head, No, the Warden of the Cult is a great enough temptation to let continue. So long as she continues her path, N’jal is pleased.

“Odd words, N’jal. Goodbye.”

Amari turned and joined Samantha. “I’m done now.” The two began their way through the bushes, less concerned about the spiders webs and weavings than earlier. “I admit, I didn’t expect them to be quite so sentient, or to know what I am. You bartered a wise deal, Samantha.”

“I couldn’t be a good Warden, if I didn’t know my neighbors at least a little. While Aerith was a little upset when she found out, I read a book or two on the Cult of N’jal,” Samantha offered, “They work together when they have to, but they hate each other. Offering him personal glory was the only way that was going to work…”

“He threatens you, you let me know.”

“Now you’re starting to sound like my father,” Sam muttered.

Amari smirked, then gave a small chuckle. Seth was right, she did have issues when it came to him. “Do I?” She asked, turning to glance at the silver haired woman. “I could say the same thing about you, but let’s not throw such insults at each other. I’m sure no one wants to be compared to that asshole.”

Samantha stiffened slightly before she spoke, “I sound nothing like my father. I can assure you of that, he would have had to have been there for me to know how he sounded in the first place.”

“Hmmmm….” Damn woman, that is exactly how your father would react.

“Well, shitty family aside; you did good. I mean, odd way of getting rid of someone, I admit, but I’d be hypocritical to judge.” Amari sighed as she pushed past, breaking apart sticky web, there was no fear of the spiders now, granted they probably didn’t appreciate Amari breaking apart everything, but what did she care.

After a few short hours they were coming into sights of the mansion. “So, Samantha, do they need to be aware of your deal with the spider magi? Or are we saying you killed her yourself?”

“Half the truth is worse than a lie. I’m not taking a punishment for that,” Sam replied firmly. Her hand went unconsciously to her arm before she continued, “No, we tell them of the deal. It would allow the Cult to actually have control of Concordia. To not tell them would be to squander that advantage.”

“Control of Concordia?” Amari bit her tongue, the cults influence surely was not that strong. “Mayhaps, but honestly. This is in your favour.” Amari stopped, and stepped in front of Samantha, if only she could convince the girl to keep the deal quiet. “You are their warden, you are no doubt tasked to be rid of people. You do that in a manner that benefits you. They’re nigh unrecognizable when they’re all decrepit like that. Why give them more power over you?”

Samantha looked at Amari her gaze unreadable. Finally she spoke softly, “The last time I withheld information, I couldn’t walk, and I had to crawl to my room. Aerith didn’t show up until the next morning, and I took a month to recover. I am not keen on repeating that mistake Scarlet. If I tell them of the deal, I might be done with fucking watchers. I might be a bit more free, and I can accept that. I can accept that I gave my power to them.” She opened her mouth to say something, then shut it and shook her head moving past Scarlet a couple of steps before she stops and slammed the side of her fist against a tree.

“Yeh, you look real happy about your predicament” . Amari thought about it, she didn’t want the cult gaining any more control than they already had, not over Concordia, and not over Samantha, but she was beyond reason, and Amari knew that pushing her would just result in her acting out. She knew, because Samantha was so damn much like her. Beyond that, Amari kept her mouth shut. There was little getting through to her now. “Let’s move on, shall we?”

Sam didn’t move before she spoke, “There you go again. You don’t want to push me but.... It’s my life but… You don’t look happy but… but… but… but…” Sam replied her tone turning mocking towards the end as she spoke, “Speak your goddamn mind and own your words. You told me to own my actions and I have tonight. You don’t say those things because you want to chime in on the situation, you’re letting me know you don’t like what’s going on. Don’t be so shy about it.”

“Says the blithering fuckin’ bitch.” Amari muttered under her breath, equally annoyed with Samantha. The sooner she got away from her, the better. “I just think it’s idiotic to let them have more power over you, is all.” Amari pushed past Samantha, heading toward the clearing that lead down to the mansion.

Sam watched her march towards the mansion before she muttered, “I may be a bitch, but at least I’m honest about what I am…” The warden shook her head shook her head and moved after the Ar’Tuel, before she spoke, “Look, I’m sorry about snapping at you. I know the last couple of days have been trying. Alright?”

“Mmmhmm.” Came Amari’s reply, she had no other response to Samantha, she knew it was an apology, but wasn’t exactly good with words, nor responding to people. “If you keep being honest. You’re going to loose yourself.” Amari sneered, using the same mocking tone Samantha had used “But, but, but, but if you want to continue to be Jebbs whipping bitch, be my guest.”

GP

Name
    Samantha Ambria
    Samantha reeled from the blow leaning against the tree for a moment. Scarlet had just taken the one shot Sam wasn’t sure she was prepared for. Sure she had confided in her, but to have her own words thrown back at her. Her rage was spent, her temper exhausted. In the wake, she felt the pain in her heart. Sure having the courage to watch sentence carried out was great, but in the end she had punished that woman to a lifetime of torment. She was becoming Jebb in action, if not in spirit, and that frightened her.

They moved down to the compound, cultists spotting them and rushing into the mansion proper. Samantha put on a passive face, one that adequately hid the turmoil under the skin. As they approached the doors the chime of Aerith’s voice rang out, “There you are Warden, I heard you were back.”

Samantha looked at Lady Scarlet for a moment and turned to face the Dark Daughter taking a knee and spoke, “Apologies, I literally just stepped on the grounds. It’s been a long night.”

“Report,” The tone was strict, and biting. Samantha nodded, knowing there was no avoiding it. Aerith had to know if the hole had been plugged or not.

Keeping her head bowed she spoke loudly, letting her voice carry, “Anastasia Ryos is alive.”

“Then why are you here Warden?” Aerith replied, her tone icy.

“She is a thrall of the N’jalian Spider Magi. I watched them turn her myself,” Samantha replied. Aerith’s eyes widened considerably.

The Dark Daughter regained her composure admirably fast and spoke, “I see. Very well, that is perhaps better than I could hope for. I see you are safe, so I assume you brokered some kind of deal?”

Samantha’s mouth spoke before her mind could react, “I was trained by the Thieves of Lavinya, I know stealth Dark Daughter.” It was fortunate her head was bowed. She didn’t trust her face to remain passive at the betrayal her mouth had given.

Aerith frowned, “Your tone needs work Warden, should I fetch Grandfather to give you a lesson in manners again.”

Samantha’s heart raced when she replied, “That won’t be necessary. My apologies Dark Daughter, it has been a long hunt. My tongue doesn’t know the grace Lord Remi has bestowed upon it.”

Aerith glowered at her for what seemed an eternity. Finally, she looked upon Scarlet, “Apologies Lady Scarlet, my manners escape me. I trust our Warden has been most courteous towards you?”

“Yes.” Came Scarlet’s reply as she shifted and crossed her arms in front of her. “So courteous in fact, she offered me a place within your...hallowed walls.”

Aerith gave Scarlet a radiant smile and spoke, “She has an eye for talent. I dare say she can be...overzealous in her recruitment. I apologize if she was too forward, but know should the Crimson Assassin ever turn on you, you can rely on the Dark Family to help you. I speak of course to you Amari L’Olfsden, and not to Scarlet the Right Hand…”

“You must be mistaken, that woman is a deader, I’d offer to pass the message onto her but the ability to speak to the dead is out of my grasp.”

She looked upon Scarlet for what seemed forever before she spoke, “Perhaps I am. My apologies. I know how rough it can be having people pry into your past. Shall I have bath drawn for you? Would you like to rest and meet with your servant? He has been most courteous but sadly restricts himself to the chambers we afforded you.”

“Yes. Please do.”

Aerith nodded and gestured a cultist appearing beside her. She spoke sternly, “Draw up a bath for our guest. You shall follow her instructions and ensure she is not barged in on. It is your head if she finds the experience anything less than pleasant.” The man nodded and bowed to Scarlet awaiting instruction. The Dark Daughter turned to Samantha, “I shall forgive your tongue this time, next time I will not hesitate to instruct you in manners. Are we clear Warden?”

“Yes Dark Daughter,” Samantha replied quickly. Aerith turned to go her hand waving at Samantha dismissively. It was at that moment the held breath was let go and Samantha stood carefully tucking the fear back with her hair. She bit her lip before she spoke quickly, “I should go to my chambers. I’m sure I’ll have a pile of work waiting for me. Scarlet….thank you.”

Scarlet seemed to give her a funny look before she commanded the Servant to take her to the baths and lead her off. Samantha meanwhile was trying to come to grips with the tiny rebellion she had perpetrated against Aerith, the only Dark Family member who seemed to give her the time of day. She moved into the mansion and too her room stiffly, more rote practice than any real attention paid. She opened the door and closed it before she leaned against it and sighed, looking at a table full of papers. Her room was mussed, and a few things were moved form where they were supposed to be.

They had searched her room.

Samantha was used to it by now, they always searched her room with regularity. Just one more bit of paranoia that kept her alive. She didn’t write things down anymore, she stopped keeping a journal. She didn’t even have trinkets to remember things by. Everything was a weapon, and she was loathe to hand Jebb one more reason to hurt her. While their mistrust hurt, it made sense. They weren’t sure how deep in the cult’s web the Daughter of the Demon was.

Taking off the chainmail shirt she stretched and felt bones pop before she sighed, “Well, hell sweet hell….”

Shattered heart and Soul

GP

Name
    Amari L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel

View Profile
    Amari had bathed, and dressed herself. She weasn’t prepared to spend another night here, and she wasn’t prepared to brief Noel on what happened. Not what really happened. She had a strong feeling that the walls not only had eyes, but ears. Amari told Noel how they hunted their mark, speaking with feigned candid freedom that even fooled him into believing the tale was real. She spoke about how they found their mark, but the Spider Magi had twisted her into some deformed lifeless puppet.

“Beyond that…” Amari finished, “It was pretty run of the mill. The girl really wants me to join this place.”

“It is far more hospitable than your current accomodations, Miss Scarlet.” Noel mused, glancing around at the rich walls.

“Little too decadent for my tastes,” Amari muttered, then added. “Although it is not without its merit. Come on, let’s go.”

“Miss...is it safe to ride through the forest at night?”

Amari turned to Noel, he was worried about the spiders, she couldn’t tell him about the deal Samantha brokered, hell, even if they were act the Seventh Sanctum she doubted she’d mention it. Perhaps it was a stupid notion of trust? Amari wasn’t going to ruin it. “The warden and I traversed that forest all through the night, I have a good understanding of where the nests are. If we leave now, we can avoid the brunt of it before night sets in.”

“Right. Of course. Noel said, concerns till evident in his tone.

Amari turned on him and opened the door, turning down into the hallway. It was somewhat of a shame to leave without saying her goodbyes to Seth’s daughter, but perhaps it was for the best.

“You certainly act fast. Good thing I wasn’t allowed a bath or Aerith’s kindness would have cost me…” The words filtered through the air as Samantha finished rising the steps looking at Amari expectantly.

Amari blinked, genuine surprise on her features. “S-” She stopped and cleared her throat. “Warden? To what do I owe the pleasure?”

“I owe you Lady Scarlet, and if there is one thing my parents drilled into me it was to make good on your debts,” Samantha replied looking about, “But perhaps the garden would be better suited for such a discussion. Less people running about.”

Amari gestured toward Noel. “Go back to our room. I will meet you there later.” Noel gave a curt nod, not questioning her. Amari replied to Samantha with a small nod, following her down the stairs. Continuing the conversation in a manner suited to their surroundings. “I merely watched you perform your duties, Warden. Nothing more.”

Samantha was quiet until she pushed open a door and lead Amari out into the gardens in the back, “Oh, is that what you call it? I call it watching my back where I’m from, but I grew up in Berevar, certainly uncultured before your Salvarian civilized manners…”

There it was, that bite, that hostility, the sharp tongue Amari knew. “Ah, but what do I? A former street urchin know about manners?” Amari mused. “Clearly, I do not have the manners to bite my tongue, so do forgive me when I ask, what is it you really want to discuss?”This was how they communicated, barbed words. Snarky remarks and tones dripping with sarcastic condescending jabs.

Samantha stopped for a moment and looked about, “There are some things I can’t discuss even here, but just saying that should tip you in the right direction. Your advice, it hurt, but it was welcome. I wanted to thank you properly before you left.”

Her words surprised Amari. She wasn’t expecting a heartfelt thank you. The red headed assassin stepped forward and placed a hand on Samantha’s shoulder. “Out there, you being this ‘Warden’ that’s Jebb talking. Not you.” Samantha stiffened and went to move away. Amari tightened her grip. “You’re welcome, by the way.”

Sam let a pained expression cross her face before she spoke, “It’s either I be warden, or I suffer worse than I do now. I mean, yes I can rebel, and that’s what I did for a year. I kicked I screamed, I yelled, I tried so hard, and it wasn’t until I stopped that my pain lessened even a little bit Scarlet. I wish I could be like you, the chained but free woman, but I can’t do that...I don’t get the slack you do.”

Amari sighed, reaching out for Samantha’s hair, the girl jerked slightly, but stilled when she realised Amari was simply just gently rubbing her long silken strands between thumb and forefinger. “Wishes are silly things. I think you have the potential to change that. That’s why you annoy me. I see myself in you, its why you piss me off.” Amari let go of Samantha’s hair, seeing that her action was bothering the girl. “No matter what I say,” She gave Samantha a lop-sided grin, again, almost mocking her words. “Or not say. It’s all on you. I’d be no better if I were to force your hand. One way or the other.”

Samantha nodded before she hugged Amari tightly her arms gripping the woman. Her face pressed into the Right Hand’s shoulder. Amari could smell the faint scent of lilac as it tickled her nose. The silence lasted for only a moment before she spoke softly, “Scarlet stay one more night. I feel better...things are less annoying, people don’t bother me as much. You take the edge off dealing with this shit hole.”

Amari wrinkled her brow, scoffing to hide the confusion she felt. “What?” ignoring the previous unease Samantha had with people touching her hair, Amari placed a hand on Samantha’s head and ruffled her hair, nails digging in slightly. “What the fuck’s wrong with you? You Mad?”

Amari felt her hand shift and the cool touch of metal against her skin. Amari grabbed Samantha’s arm and roughly pulled it away, ignoring the gash on her shoulder, and the blood that dripped from the blade to the floor. Amari’s hand shifted to the blade and Samantha allowed her to pry it from her fingers before it dropped to the floor.

There was another sting as golden light flickered around the wound, healing it. “Next time, dig a little deeper don’t waste your energy.” Amari wrapped an arm around Samantha’s shoulder bringing her back in. “And next time I’ll strike back.” What an odd woman...she wanted comfort, but she fought it so hard.

Damn… she really is just like me.. Amari thought to herself

Samantha gave a grin, “That’s why I like you Scarlet. You get me. You don't take my crap. Please, spend the night with me?”

“Suppose so.” She said with a shrug.

“Will you consider the offer to join us?”

Amari fell silent. There was no way in hell she would. “Doubt it, but I could entertain the idea for shits and giggles.”

GP

Name
    Samantha Ambria
    “That’s all I ask Scarlet. I want someone I can trust here, someone who actually cares about me other than Aerith. I know you don’t like my predicament, but well...I can’t help but feel we’re the blind leading the blind. Maybe if we stick together...maybe we can do something we weren’t expecting, you know?” Samantha offered. Their relationship was an oddity to be certain. The Warden had never expected to be friends with anyone, let alone the Right Hand of the Crimson Assassin.

They angered each other, pushed each other’s buttons, but in the end they stood by each other when it mattered most. Scarlet would have suffered right alongside Samantha had their lie been known. She nodded and gestured back to the mansion, “We should get back, we’re at roughly the point when some member of the Dark Family would yell at me to get inside. And don’t get it twisted...I’m not into women, I don’t even usually think on those terms.”

“Is that so?” Scarlet quipped, it sounded as though Scarlet was either into women, or had been with them before. Or maybe she was just fucking with Samantha. “Let’s go home then.”

Sam stopped for a moment and shook her head, “I may live here, but this mansion is not my home. I feel more at ease camping amongst the Spider Nests than I ever would here. Too many bad memories.” She looked at Scarlet and gently ushered her into the house. They walked to the east wing when Samantha said softly, “Your place or mine?” A soft giggle escaped her lips at the forward question.

“Depends, do you want a stoic man watching? My charge is waiting in my room.”

Samantha stopped and shook her head, “Oh god, that Noel guy? No thank you. I have hard enough time trying to get over the fact I’m always being watched, not sure I could stand it when I finally went to bed either.” She gently escorted Scarlet away from the east wing and brought her along the servant corridors. Samantha explaining, “I guess I’m in what you’d call the head servant’s quarters? It's the largest of the servant quarters, that much I know. The Dark Family has the west wing, and well guests get the east wing. I apologize for the mess…” With that she pushed open the door to her quarters and gestured, “Welcome to the little corner of the world I call my bed.”

There was a small table upon which her chainmail and weapons rested. As she entered the knife she had pulled on Scarlet joined the other. Both were Lavinian made, a nod to the training she had done. The sword was standard Coronian design though. Her bed was a small squat thing that was stuffed with straw. The footlocker was still open with things draped over the sides. With a sigh she kicked the contents back in and shut it with a boot and sat heavily on the bed. On her nightstand was a stack of papers that was laid neatly. The only tidy thing in the room, she shook her head before she spoke, “That is going to be a pain in the ass to go through tomorrow.” She then put on a brave smile, “So, I apologize for the state of my room, but make yourself at home.”

Scarlet glanced around the room, it wasn’t what she was used to, but it definitely beat what she had been given in the past. “Thought this wasn’t such a place?” She joked as she kicked off her shoes and sat on the bed, reaching behind her she deftly took off her bra without taking off her shirt. Scarlet pulled it out from her collar and let it drop to the floor next to her shoes. Samantha smirked before she reached under her shirt and slowly unwrapped her chest, “I don’t get the luxury of those things. Then again I grew up in a monastery town, then trained in a thief’s guild. I guess I just don’t get the whole worldly desires thing…” She then looked at the bra before she tossed the wrap with other soiled garments, “Guess it’s something for others more than you?”

“More or less, I own nothing. This all belongs to my Master.”

Sam looked at Scarlet before she spoke, “You have nothing that’s yours? I at least had my daggers and the shirt on my back...well not anymore..that shirt got torn up during training now that I think about it…”

“Nothing that’s mine.” Scarlet confirmed. “I don’t mind.”

Sam shook her head, “No, that’s bullshit. Everyone should have something...even if its a fucking pair of socks…” Samantha went rummaging around her foot locker and sighed frowning. She looked at her pack before her eyes lit up and she looked at Amari’s hands. “These are mine, so really they can’t give me crap for giving them away. Besides, I keep punching people, and I’m going to need gauntlets, my skin’s not tough enough for it and I’m not interested in making that so…” She produced a pair of gloves and tossed them onto Scarlet’s lap, “Happy name day, or day of the open hand, or whatever.”

She looked confused, “Thanks… I think.” Her words weren’t exactly grateful, but it was clear she had never been given anything before. Samantha giggled and sat back down next to Scarlet. She gently patted Scarlet’s back.

“It’s nothing. Just consider it part of my thank you if you need to rationalize it or something…” She yawned and stretched before she shook her head, “Thayne bless it it’s late. We should sleep…” her boots were finally kicked off hitting the ground with satisfying thumps. Her bed squealed slightly and she raised an eyebrow before she shook her head. Laying down she pushed herself against the wall to give Scarlet room and petted the bed next to her, “You wanna sleep now? Or you wanna talk some more?”

“Honestly, I’m tired.” Scarlet said, shifting into the bed next to her. Samantha nodded and snuggled up to her. Her head rested on Scarlet’s chest as she felt her reassuring warmth. Things were less annoying, her paranoia less pronounced with the red headed assassin. She felt a peaceful calm as she went to sleep finally ending the day.

Legend

EXP: 127,650, Level: 15
    Level completed: 55%, EXP required for next Level: 7,350
    Level completed: 55%,
    EXP required for next Level: 7,350

GP

Name
    Philomel van der Aart (+ Veridian)
    Race
    Faun (+ Fox/Earth Spirit)

View Profile
    Name of Thread: Guilty
    Type of Judgement: No Judgement

Rewards:

Mask of the Warden receives:
    2860 EXP
    330 GP

Amari receives:
    3564 EXP
    342 GP

Inclusive of Althanas Day 3x bonus.
    Inclusive of Amari's Noble Commerce ability.

“He said it would ward off evil spirits. That just left me the good ones to worry about.”
    ― Mark Lawrence

“The most introspective of souls are often those that have been hurt the most.”
    ― Shannon L. Alder