EXP required for next Level: 246

GP

Name
    Boris Domantovsky
    Race
    Human (+ Dovicarus)

View Profile

Where Shadows Lye in Wait

The wind never ceased to howl in the far reaches of Salvar. The further north one dared travel, the more hostile the gale's scream became. On previous visits, Artemis had taken his time and scouted out the region. Across many months, the ranger had veritably mapped the entire continent of Salvar, storing what knowledge he couldn't personally remember in Judicis' endless archive - his sentient Artifact. Still, some areas remained shrouded in shadow and mystery, kept hidden due to their immeasurable dangers.

'It still worries me how little we know of what's to come,' Judicis whispered into Artemis' thoughts. The artifact appeared as a bracer upon Artemis' left wrist, capable of changing form to other mundane shapes; its true form came as that of a mighty bow of raw energy.

Artemis shook his head, equally frustrated. He'd spent days traversing the ceaseless storms that kept the land close to Berevar covered in an ever-present blanket of thick white powder. It felt impossible to imagine a time before Denebriel's curse had frozen the northern parts of the globe. His protective garb covered every inch of flesh and kept the cold at bay, but that didn't make the journey easy by any stretch.

Artemis marched on with his enchanted boots, magic transforming their treads into snowshoes with teeth, so as to not fall through the snow or be blown away. Each step necessitated determination and purpose. The buffeting storm would knock him over were it not for the ranger's strength and endurance. A layer of frost coated his body from the front as he walked into the winds.

'Storm is getting worse,' Artemis reflected.

Judicis stepped in to fill the gap instantly, taking advantage of the enormous database that had come of Artemis' months of work. 'There is a small cavern about two hundred meters to the northeast, small and enclosed. Turn thirty-five degrees to your right. I'll keep your direction.'

Artemis nodded, unnecessarily so, and did as instructed. When the winds of the north blew this violently, even the wild beasts of the land preferred shelter. Strangely, that made the walk safer, albeit immensely uncomfortable. The howling of yeti and warg and orc alike merged into a wail that whipped across the desert of snow and ice. With visibility effectively null, the wandering ranger relied on his sensory attunement, using supernatural ability to guide his path and benefiting from the processing power of sentient magic upon his wrist.

Still, little could bring the virtuous fighter into these dangerous lands, and further north still. However, the Tarot had a mark that required elimination, and as the card of Justice, he would fulfill his duty. An evil man, Lichensith Ulroké, lie in wait beyond the mountains, beyond the Black Forest. Whether Artemis would ever reach the man remained to be seen, and would serve as a test to determine whether fate had chosen the right man to dole out that Justice.

EXP: 103,754, Level: 13
    Level completed: 99%, EXP required for next Level: 246
    Level completed: 99%,

GP

Name
    Boris Domantovsky
    Race
    Human (+ Dovicarus)

View Profile
    Near half an hour passed before Artemis finally found the small entrance to the enclave. The cavern was no larger than a hovel, and the ranger had crawled inside on his belly. He had not sensed any presence within and found comfort in the windless haven. He sat back against a pillow of snow, relaxing as best one could in the realm of Skavia.

Anyone who could see Artemis would have a tough time making sense of the warrior's appearance. He wore fine leather armor, which often needed repairing and replacing, over a full undersuit of a material known as gade cloth; it was that magical fabric the protected him from the elements. Gloves and a mask completed his ensemble, which he dared not remove even for a moment of reprieve given the freezing temperatures. A trinket he carried allowed him to glamor his attire whatever colors he needed given the environment, which meant all white in the snow-filled hills of Salvar.

"The doubts never seem to leave, Judicis," Artemis said aloud, his words forming wisps in the frigid air. Though the sentient artifact could read his thoughts, the ranger still preferred to at least simulate real conversation - at least when possible. The same applied in other facets of his supernatural evolution, such as why he still chose to enjoy meals and breathe, though his body no longer needed either for sustenance.

'Would you like them to?' Judicis prompted. Artemis had grown familiar with Judicis' method of reminding the ranger that his answers were all within. Beneath the layers of self-deception which people tended to inflict upon themselves and others, the little light of truth lived, awaiting recognition.

Artemis sighed, closing his ice-blue eyes to the dim gray of the cave. Light from the outside reflected off the snow to softly illuminate the small space. Through his mind, the same fleeting images danced across his eyelids, like an endless loop. Visions of the suffering and loss he had witnessed haunted him.

"Sometimes," the ranger admitted. "Other times, I worry that doubt is what keeps me in check. I have a hard time trusting anyone who is always so certain about their decisions, especially the weighty ones. There's always so much gray in everything," Artemis said as he opened his eyes, only to chuckle at the irony of his surroundings.

'Perhaps it is that doubt that gives your decisions more validity,' Judicis offered.

"The Justice card is not meant to act on impulse or emotion," Artemis retorted, scooping up some snow and packing it into a ball. "My decisions need to be thorough, decisive, and accurate. Where does doubt fit into that equation?" he finished, tossing the ball at the stone surface across from him and watching it return to its powdery form.

'You are still young. Time will affirm your decision-making, and I will do my utmost to support you through that journey. We do not yet know if your magical birth will lengthen your lifetime, as you are not entirely human.'

"Yeah," Artemis agreed with a nod, "but time may not be something I have to spare. This target won't let me live if I hesitate."

'Then don't hesitate.'

GP

Name
    Boris Domantovsky
    Race
    Human (+ Dovicarus)

View Profile
    Soon after, Artemis dozed off in the quiet comfort of the small cave. He woke a few hours later, fully refreshed due to the magic in his blood, and gazed out the opening of the enclave.

"Storm's died down," he noted, crawling out on his belly. Though the wind and snow had loosened its grip, the Skavian weather never truly let go. Where before he could barely see a few steps ahead, now he could see more than a dozen paces. Relatively, that meant 'died down' this far north.

The ranger resumed his march, each step taking him out of the foothills of the northern Skavian Highlands and closer to the Great White Expanse.

'Night approaches, Artemis.' Judicis noted.

'Should be fine,' Artemis answered. 'The weather and temperatures won't be an issue for me, and hopefully, the cold of the night keeps most of the orcs and other beasts at bay.'

Just a few steps later, Artemis sensed two creatures enter the edges of his sensory sphere. Hoping to avoid confrontation, he dropped to the ground, hoping to blend into the thick snow. Thankfully the winds that still raged were quick to blow away any signs of his steps and dusted over the shape of his body so as to look less conspicuous. During the valuable seconds that it took for the creatures to approach, Artemis concentrated on his sensory attunement, seeking more information on the entities.

'Orcs,' he thought, 'of course.'

The ranger lay perfectly still as the beasts moved closer to his reach. He hoped they would pass by and not notice. These were no ordinary orcs after all. The creatures that lived this far north and called such unforgiving lands home were demonstrably more dangerous than the orcs of warmer regions.

"Bah, Chief wrong!" one growled through broken tooth and tusk. "Our tribe not need stupid Broken Axe orcs."

"Tell that to Chief then. See if he listen," the other beside him grumbled. The pair of green-skinned behemoths sauntered along, dragging their feet through the thick powder with the ease of a fish swimming through water. All eight feet of their towering height had been covered in thick furs and hides to protect from the cold, with massive claymores strapped to their backs and wrapped with cloth to keep the blades from sticking.

The first orc that spoke simply shook his head in reply as the two continued on their way, too caught up in their frustrations and politics to notice the strange depression half a dozen paces to their side. Artemis remained quiet and still, waiting for them to leave his sphere of influence. A minute longer, and he picked himself up from the powder and stepped back atop the powder of white, once again trudging along.

'Would that I had killed those orcs,' Artemis reflected, thinking back on his first experience with the green skinned creatures of the North - though north is certainly relative. When he'd just arrived in Salvar as a teenager, heading to Knife's Edge, he'd run into a small group of the weaker beasts and struggled even then. He had no doubt that even these two that had just passed wouldn't have posed much of a threat to the man he'd become, but he thought it best to remain unseen and unreported. Any missing individuals would raise questions that were better left unasked, let alone unanswered.

GP

Name
    Boris Domantovsky
    Race
    Human (+ Dovicarus)

View Profile
    Barely more than an hour later, Artemis had found himself past the border of the Great White Expanse. The sun had dipped from sight, and the sky lit up with an array of colors, melding together against the roiling clouds. The beautiful display contrasted, even mocked, the dangers that lay before the ranger, both this night and ahead.

The desert of snow before him held no promises of easy passage. As far as the horizon, like the ocean itself, lay the threat of an endless journey. With night fast approaching, the ranger only hoped that the long walk would pass quickly and without conflict. What rumors he'd heard of the Black Forest were enough to concern even the most seasoned veteran, and he knew that if anything were to give him trouble, it would be that dark place.

He walked onward, step by step, with his destination in mind. Hours passed quietly with the sky clearing and the clouds giving way to a tremendous view of the stars. This far from civilization, he could see every constellation he'd read about in Daros' astrological encyclopedia. His wizardly friend would be envious of the view the ranger had of the sky this night. The peaceful quiet and beauty, with only the whistle of the wind to dull his senses, left Artemis reflecting once more on his role in this world.

"Everything is so muddled," he whispered, his gaze up toward the stars.

'What in particular?' Judicis prompted, playing his part in the conversation despite his ceaseless awareness of Artemis' every thought.

"I had hoped Graxis' ability would help me see into the truth of people. To discern the good from the bad. But all it's shown me is that the truth is never so simple or clear."

'Is there something you're afraid of?'

Artemis sat with the question for many minutes before realizing the truth of his doubt. "I am afraid of making a mistake," he admitted. "I worry that I'll make the wrong choice, and end up taking the life of someone who didn't deserve to die."

'Demanding perfection of yourself may be unreasonable.'

"Not when lives are at stake."

'Lives are always at stake, Artemis. Sometimes the connection is simply harder to draw. Everything in this world has consequence, and that includes inaction as much as action.'

Artemis shook his head and sighed heavily, his breath drifting toward the stars in a windless moment. "So my choice is to either do something and risk being wrong or do nothing and try to pretend I'm not at fault? Is that it?"

'Would you rather do nothing and excuse yourself from your responsibility, or at least try to tip the scales of balance in favor of goodness and justice?'

"Those can't be the only two options," the ranger lamented. "I'm not a Thayne. I'm not a telepath. I can't see absolute truth. I'm just a man, albeit a gifted one."

'And with those gifts and my aid, we will do all we can to make choices that won't cause you unease. But you must not burden yourself with the belief that you will never be wrong. For each time that you are, when that time comes, there will be countless others where you were not.'

"That doesn't change the fact that I may take the life of someone who does not deserve to die."

'Death is not the worst thing that can befall a creature.'

"Tell that to the dead," Artemis scoffed.

GP

Name
    Boris Domantovsky
    Race
    Human (+ Dovicarus)

View Profile
    The barren landscape of the Great White Expanse had been the only scenery for nearly a full day. Artemis had walked on through the monotony of snow dunes and naught else, one foot in front of the other, in a mindless trance. Fleeting moments of reflection crept into his journey, hung up as the ranger was with the encroaching decision regarding the target that awaited at the end of this expedition. More than three score kilometers from whence he'd come, fatigue finally made its home in the ranger's limbs. Despite his supernatural stamina and strength, he was still mortal after all.

"I've forgotten what it's like to feel so tired," Artemis sighed. He walked beneath a fresh sunset and within sight of the Black Forest. The endless horizon had finally acquiesced to the ranger's determination and granted him the passage he'd sought. "I'm going to need to rest," the man confessed. His steps had slowed considerably since he began the long walk.

As he finally reached the edges of the frozen woodland, he began to understand why legends had grown to such an extent. He could almost feel the sinister energy within, incomparable even Dheathain's Luthmor forest. The sheer scale of the trees and their trunks left Artemis awestruck. The width of each trunk could serve as a home for anyone who chose to carve into its base.

Just at the fringes of the canopy, just beneath its shadow, Artemis willed the treads of his boots back to normal and leaned up against the tree. He turned his back to the bark and slid down into a seat. Closing his eyes, he let the sphere of his detection expand. Its limited reach of a hundred foot radius expanded, little by little, until after ten minutes it reached its maximum range of fifteen kilometers. Artemis surveyed what he could, his concentration limited, and entrusted Judicis to process the remaining information of his own accord. The sentient artifact's faculties were far and beyond the ranger's capabilities, and he was always grateful for his ally's aid.

With the line that drew the edge of his reach at its pinnacle, Artemis couldn't help but feel awe at the majesty of this ancient forest. The vastness of life that skittered, crawled, flew, and crept through its immensity felt overwhelming. Tremendous beasts prowled hungrily just beneath the frozen canopy, or among the fungus and other fauna on the ground. The enormity of its woodland trees and the density of its shrubbery made clear that this challenge would be nothing to scoff at, and the most dangerous leg of his journey.

"The hazards within are countless it would seem," Artemis commented, knowing full well that any forest would be filled with dangerous predators and obstacles. "Thankfully, at least the area nearby seems safe enough for some rest."

Artemis dropped concentration on his sphere, letting it snap back to its passive range, and willed his appearance to better blend against the rich browns and darker shades of the forest and its secrets. Trusting Judicis to wake him from slumber should anyone enter the sensory attunement of his host, Artemis closed his eyes and let rest take him after his long and exhausting trek.

GP

Name
    Boris Domantovsky
    Race
    Human (+ Dovicarus)

View Profile
    "You dare come into MY home?" The voice bellowed, its words echoing, trapped in the chamber. "You dare judge ME you coward?!"

Artemis stood at the feet of a dark figure, veiled in shadow with wisps of red and black smoke rising from his body. His eyes glowed a vibrant green with waves of platinum hair rolling down his shoulders beneath his cloak. The serpentine eyes glowed brightly with fury, with a massive scar barely visible over the right eye.

"Who are you to seek me out, to make claims upon my place in this world, when you know not your own?" The voice roared as the figure's arms stretched out to the walls of the dark enclosure, shaking the very walls of the chamber. Artemis shrank before the man's fury and hatred, seeming no more than a mouse before a giant. Black stretched in all directions with the two men facing off.

"I only do what I believe is right," Artemis said meekly.

"Are you so naive to think that right and wrong exist in this world? To believe that one can draw boundaries between the two?" The robed figure clutched at his chest, throwing his shoulder back in boisterous laughter. "Your foolishness will get you killed, boy!"

Artemis narrowed his eyes, lifting his left arm toward the figure. He willed Judicis into his true form, and the bracer upon his wrist dispersed into a haze only to take shape as a bow of raw power. He lifted his right hand and drew back on the string of magic, conjuring an arrow of clear and colorless mist, and let fly at the towering man's face. The projectile flew forth, crystalizing mid-flight and striking the bridge of his nose, causing the man to scream in pain.

"I will not hesitate," Artemis said resolutely, drawing back another arrow and preparing to let fly.

"Fool. Your hubris will cost you your life." The man vanished into a cloud of red and black smoke, losing form and disappearing. Artemis stood in the black expanse, his brow furrowed in determination.

"I will not hesitate!"
    Artemis opened his eyes with a gasp, the dream rocking him out of peaceful slumber. His heart raced as he slowed his breathing, only to remember again that he need not breathe at all. He shook his head, trying to get the image of the man out of his mind.

"I will not hesitate."