GP

Name
    Black Shadow
    Race
    Human

There and Back Again

Rewrite deluxe!

~Al Kitar Dungeon~

Where the heck are they?? Xnias thought. They should have been here about an hour ago with the king's head! Those simpletons can never do anything correctly. Xnias waited as a dark figure came down the corridor that led to the dungeon. Xnias realized this was one of his men and a wave of relief washed over him.

"Well?" He asked, "Is he dead?" The figure hesitated and Xnias's relief turned to rage.
    "I told you not to come back until he was dead!" Xnias roared.

"We were faring well until that vampire and his traveling companion interfered!" A higher pitched voice complained back

"How did Gavner interfere!? I thought he was poisoned!"

"So did we! Our team was overpowering the king and his men until the vampire and the masked man broke down the door and took the upper hand. I escaped just in time. All else was lost." The figure said timidly.

"Hmm" Xnias said scratching his chin, "so there were no survivors."

"None, save me sir."

"No. There were no survivors" Xnias said tearing his sword from his sheath and piercing the dwarf through the heart before he could squirm away.

Picking up the dwarf by the neck in one hand Xnias turned around to face the entire army that was stowed in the Al Kitar dungeon. "Is there anybody else who would like to disobey orders!?"

The sound of Xnias's voice echoed through the enormous room until there was dead silence. Dropping the body Xnias smiled, baring his perfectly straight teeth in his smile of pure evil.

"Good. Now listen up, all of you! Tonight is the night we have all been waiting for! When I give the signal in Al Konvar you will all uprise and take the hall, cut down all who oppose you! I will personally kill their precious king and take my rightful place on the throne. Do I make myself clear?" He shouted

"Long live the king!" The army chanted in unison.

"Good" Xnias said softly to himself. "And Master Nahs will have a lovely surprise coming his way, a lovely surprise indeed."

Adventurer

EXP: 38,578, Level: 8
    Level completed: 40%, EXP required for next Level: 5,422
    Level completed: 40%,
    EXP required for next Level: 5,422

GP

Name
    Gavner Nahs
    Race
    Vampire
    Gavner drew in a deep breath of the immaculate air from the dwarven stronghold. After the chaos which had just ensued, the vampire and his new quest-mate had been offered a hot bath in the springs royal springs of Al Kitar- the great stronghold of the dwarves’ which was a mighty mountain- and their clothing mended and restored. Woodan, the king’s head steward, had been busily fussing over Gavner and his appearance for the past half hour while the vampire had been cleaning up.

“Please Master Nahs, let me have this red re-dyed for you,” or “Please, Master Nahs, allow me to re-stitch your collar for you!” By the time Woodan was done, he had virtually made Gavner an entire new outfit identical to his old. Gavner pulled on his brilliant new leather boots and made his way out to the hall where he would rendezvous with Black Shadow.

The clopping of Gavner’s boots echoed through the grandiose hall of polished granite which gleamed in the torchlight. Gavner stepped into the passageway where three tunnels met in a cross joint, and the mouth to a fourth passageway was closed off by great golden doors, which seemed to be larger than life. Above the doors, etched into the granite in the most beautiful craftsmanship, were the words “Al Konvar.” Standing in front of the doors was Black Shadow in, likewise with Gavner, a nearly brand new outfit. Strapped to his chest was a baby carrier with a happy baby Espoir suspended snugly. She was cooing and happy gurgling at Black Shadow. Everything had happened so fast; on the voyage to the dwarves’ stronghold, Gavner and Black Shadow had been attacked by all the passengers on the ship because Gavner was a creature of the night. The people fought so relentlessly that the two travelers had to kill all of them; that was when they found Espoir.

Slung across his back was Black Shadow's bow, and in spite of all that happened, a happy Espoir was lovingly gurgling at Black Shadow. The baby reached up to his face and closed her tiny fingers around the bottom of his mask, happily squealing as he smiled underneath. Gavner walked up next to his traveling companion, and smiled. The vampire felt fresh and ready to take on even the most difficult of challenges in his brilliant, crisp attire. He and Black Shadow looked like “a million bucks,” and after what they had been through, they were ready for anything.

Innocence & Instincts

EXP: 29,359, Level: 7
    Level completed: 30%, EXP required for next Level: 5,641
    Level completed: 30%,
    EXP required for next Level: 5,641

GP

Name
    Black Shadow
    Race
    Human
    The torches and the polished stone in the passageway gleamed in the bright torch light.

“The kingdom awaits, Master Nahs, Master Shadow.” Black Shadow nodded and gently took hold of one of Espoir’s baby hands with his index finger and his thumb as the doors to Al Konvar opened up to make way for the travelers. The two quest mates began to walk prudently through the doors and into the address hall.

The two men walked into the hall to find ranks upon ranks of civilian dwarves seated- every eye on them. The room was clearly in the peak of the mountain, as the ceiling of the hall, seemed to be so far up that it was nonexistent, and the walls were conical and tapered as they ascended. Thousands of dwarves were seated, all in front of the throne, which was at the very end of the hall, and upon a raised platform. Behind the throne were two large panels of glass which let crisp moonlight into the hall, and allowed a view of the surrounding mountain range. In front of the throne was a table, and a panel of nine dwarves who were seated. Woodan mentioned these men. Apparently they were the royal council of the kingdom, which acted in making decisions in the absence of the king.

Black Shadow and Gavner walked slowly down the aisle and finally reached the table where the council was seated. The two travelers now finally looked up and saw the dwarven King Hronzak, seated in his throne. He had a golden helm and a long red beard, as well as long red hair that was held back in a pony tail. The king rose to his feet, and the entire kingdom in the hall followed suit. The king shouted something in a foreign language, and shortly thereafter the kingdom began to recite the code of the clan. After they were finished, the king held up his hands.

“You may be seated,” he bellowed out. Shortly after the noise had settled, he continued, "We are gathered here today," the king boomed, "to discuss urgent news from these two men." Hronzak looked at Gavner and Black Shadow and Gavner.

Black Shadow looked at Gavner, who nodded and stepped forward. "Queen Olivia of the Outlandish Elves has entrusted me with very important news." The vampire said loudly. "She requests a truce, and for both sides to cease all violence! This war has gone on for long enough!"

There was murmur all throughout the room. From some came cries of agreement, and some cries of angry protest. Gavner threw Black Shadow a look. This was going to be a long night.

Adventurer

GP

Name
    Gavner Nahs
    Race
    Vampire
    It did not take long for Gavner to realize that the overarching division of the clan was opposition for selfish motives. After the first two hours of arguing, it was evident that the council did most of the arguing and swaying of the kingdom, and it was the council which was divided. The two opposing sides were the war hawks, and the peace keepers. The peace keepers had the first hour to present their side and rant. Their primary argument included how war was not only draining the resources of the kingdom, but it was also causing such a high casualty rate on the army, and another draft would have to be issued if the rates continued like this.

For the second hour, the war hawks hammered out their demands. They argued that the clan was at an all time low in terms of pride. Pride was a big issue for the dwarves, and the war was certainly not swaying in their favor. They said that if they gave in now, then there would be no recovering from such a blow. Also there was the promise of the price that the elves would pay for restitution, which was needed to cover the cost of the war.

The third hour was consumed by King Hronzak proposing compromises to the two sides’ wishes. Finally, the king proposed a clean compromise, for a new treaty to be drawn up with peace terms, where the elves paid restitution, and the Dwarves would concede the elven relics which they had been withholding for the past century, save for the relics given to the clan as gifts.

“For this,” The king said, “We will send Master Nahs, and Master Shadow back to the elven kingdom to discuss these terms with Queen Olivia. If further negotiations are required, we will send ambassadors, and myself to meet with her and her ambassadors at the Hall of the High Dramorsha.”

Gavner sighed. Finally, all of the arguing was over. Gavner understood that this meant tons of additional footwork for he and Black Shadow; however, he would have happily sailed the high seas rather than listen to this petty political jargon. Suddenly, a struggle arose outside the hall and before anybody could react, the doors burst open.

“Shadow, grab the king!” Gavner shouted as he picked up an end table and ran to the window for cover. There was no time to think; only time to do.

Innocence & Instincts

GP

Name
    Black Shadow
    Race
    Human
    Black Shadow and Gavner had taken cover just in time. As soon as the doors to the hall burst open, a barrage of flaming arrows were let loose into the hall. Black Shadow looked up at the throne and saw an arrow lodged directly into the back of the throne where the king’s heart would have been, had he not moved. Black Shadow stood up to find an army of dwarves marching into the hall, rank after rank. He grabbed some arrows from his quiver and began picking off the officers of the divisions as they entered. Out of the corner of the dark archer’s eye, he saw that Gavner had dislodged a massive stone from the base of the platform on which the throne sat and carried it back to the table.

Just then, Black Shadow noticed another barrage of flaming arrows incoming. He ducked behind the table where the king was cowering away from the incoming danger. Black Shadow grabed a small stone which he found on the floor, created from the newfound destruction, and threw it at the side of Gavner’s face with exceptional precision. Without looking, Gavner dropped the stone he had been struggling with and dove behind the table. About thirty arrows lodged into the table and set the hard mahogany ablaze.

“Hold on,” Gavner shouted over the chaos as he picked up the stone once more. Black Shadow stood up and continued picking off the higher ranking dwarves when he heard a massive shattering behind him. The archer spun around on his heel to see that Gavner had thrown the stone through the window on the far wall of Al Konvar. Their exit point had been made. Black Shadow motioned for the king to follow him. Grabbing a rope from the massive curtains above the window, Black Shadow tied it to an arrow and turned toward the newfound exit.

Without thinking, Black Shadow sprinted full speed at the window and jumped off the mountainside into the crisp night air. He knocked the arrow and fired it at the side of the mountain above the window, then grabbed onto the rope with one hand and held onto baby Espoir with the other hand. The arrow lodged into the side of the mountainside. There was still quite a bit of slack left in the rope, and time seemed to freeze as the archer was falling in space.

Adventurer

GP

Name
    Gavner Nahs
    Race
    Vampire
    Gavner felt as if he couldn’t look as his traveling companion was falling off the mountain. Suddenly, the rope became taught, and this was the moment of truth. Gavner held his breath in anticipation, before sighing with relief as he saw the rope hold, and the dark archer and his baby swing toward the window. Gavner grabbed the rope and held it in the window as Black Shadow began climbing it up to the summit.

“Your Majesty,” Gavner shouted, “You must climb this rope to safety with Black Shadow!”

“But how will you escape?” The royal dwarf asked urgently.

“I need to create a diversion,” Gavner said, “For you to escape. I will find other means.”

The dwarf king nodded and looked at Gavner reverently. “The royal hot springs drain into iceberg lake on the South Side of Al Kitar. Godspeed!” With that, King Hronzak grabbed the rope and began climbing to the summit.

With a running start, the vampire leapt over the platform the throne sat atop, and ran to the west side of Al Konvar, and began gouging with his sharp fingernails a large rectangle large enough for himself to fit through. He then grabbed another mighty stone and hurled it at the wall with all of his might. The beautiful polished granite wall was now a crumbled mess, as the wall was now concaved in on itself, and a small hole was visible, but not nearly large enough for his fist to fit through, let alone his whole body. Just then another barrage of arrows came in through the door. Gavner hugged the wall and ducked down as an arrow whizzed directly above him.

“Right,” Gavner said standing up to face the commotion. “Let us party.”

Most of the civilian dwarves had taken cover at this point, and were either ducked down under their seats, or up huddled by the throne. Targeting the army, Gavner picked up a massive solid stone bench and hurled it at a rank of dwarves. It was as satisfying as bowling, watching all of the dwarves crumble under the thousand pound rock. Just then, Gavner saw General Xnias, the supreme commander of the dwarf army (second to Hronzak himself) enter Al Konvar. Shocked, Gavner froze in his tracks. Part of him knew of Xnias’s treachery; however, it still escaped the vampire how one could betray his kinsman and country like so.

Innocence & Instincts

GP

Name
    Black Shadow
    Race
    Human
    Black Shadow pulled himself up the rope and onto the side of the mountain where there was a ledge, and the steepness of the peak was mild enough to climb. He grabbed the rope when he was done climbing, and began to secure it for when the king began to climb. Even though the king was much shorter than Black Shadow, he weighed nearly twice and a half his weight; the arrow in the mountain would not have been nearly enough. After the long and strenuous climb- on both the archer, and the king- Black Shadow made sure that King Hronzak was on secure land, before retrieving the arrow from the mountain and hoisting up the rope so that none could follow. Even if dwarves had seen the rope, there was no way they could replicate the ascent to the peak.

Turning to the snow capped mountaintop, Black Shadow began with one foot in front of the other, climbing higher and higher. King Hronzak climbed behind him, putting his feet in each of the steps that Black Shadow had made for him in the snow. Black Shadow looked back occasionally to see how the king was doing, but the surface seemed to be holding up. After a long and arduous climb, Black Shadow was only five feet from the peak. As he closed the final distance to the top, the pure white of the snow on the top was replaced with the endless view of the entire mountain range. Al Kitar was the tallest mountain in the range, and beautiful wilderness seemed to stretch as far as the eye could see.

“Incredible,” Black Shadow heard the king huff from behind him. “In all my years, I have lived in this mountain, I have never stood atop it. I have ruled over this kingdom, and my ancestors have ruled, and their ancestors have ruled, but never before have we viewed our kingdom like this.”

Black Shadow continued to look out over the landscape. Up at this altitude, there was a snowstorm that gave the whole landscape a whiteish overtone. Down on the scene, there were rivers and lakes, forests and massive tracts of land that seemed so majestic.

“My father once took me when I was a young prince, and told me to trek to the top of the falls on the far side of the mountain range, and all that I could see was what I would rule. I never truly understood the scope of what he said until now.”

Adventurer

GP

Name
    Gavner Nahs
    Race
    Vampire
    “Oh, no you did not!” Gavner said to himself. He took another running start and bounded through the army to the middle of the hall, jumping on the massive stone seats as to avoid the attacks from the soldiers. When standing in the middle of the aisle to the throne from the doors that lead into Al Konvar, Gavner was directly in front of the treacherous general.

In a heat of rage, Gavner’s face turned bright red, and as loud as he could, the vampire shouted “Hey, Xnias!” The black bearded general looked directly at the creature of the night, but before he could react, Gavner turned around and dropped his black slacks down to his ankles and bent over, shaking his full moon at the traitor. For extra effect, Gavner spun his hand back in a windmill motion and slapped his rear end as hard as he could, leaving a handprint directly in his left cheek.

Pulling up his drawers, Gavner stood up and pointed at the general. “Traitor!” He shouted, “You do not deserve to command this army!”

The general’s face contorted in fury as he saw the spectacle that Gavner was putting on. He shouted angrily and began charging at Gavner, his Warhammer brandished. Gavner got down on one knee and held out his arms, open wide, saying “Oh come here, of course I will give you a hug little guy!” At the last moment before Xnias had closed enough distance to swing his hammer at Gavner, the vampire shot to his feet and took a mighty leap back, ten feet in the air and did a back flip, before sticking the landing.

“You will have to try harder than that, my dear adversary.” Gavner taunted.

“Seize him!” Xnias shouted in rage.

“It is about time!” Gavner said with a menacing smile, “I thought you would never say so!” Suddenly dwarves began to charge the vampire from all sides with hammers and shortswords. Gavner stepped forward and kicked the first one in the chest as hard as he could. The dwarf flew back and knocked down a whole row of soldiers. The creature of the night picked up the hammer that the dwarf dropped and leapt over the hoard of dwarves and onto a stone bench. “Now for the fun stuff!”

Adventurer

GP

Name
    Gavner Nahs
    Race
    Vampire
    With the hammer, Gavner began to smash the bench, breaking it into many smaller chunks. The vampire picked up a piece of stone that was douvle the size of his fist and hurled it at an incoming dwarf’s head. With a loud grunt, the dwarf dropped to the ground, and into an eternal sleep. Gavner looked up and met the eyes of a soldier who had been standing nearby to see the whole scene take place. He looked at the dwarf. The dwarf looked at him. Gavner looked at the rock in his other hand, and then at the dwarf. Flashing his sharp, ebony black teeth in a smile, Gavner whipped the rock at the dwarf who had now turned tail in a futile attempt to escape his fate.

The creature of the night began hurling stone after stone at all of the incoming dwarves, making the soldiers now jump behind benches to take cover, and think twice before storming the vampire. While the dwarves were distracted, the creature of the night took his opportunity to make a grand exit, and picked up the entire bench from which he was gleaning chunks of stone. He threw the bench to the far side of Al Konvar, and leapt toward the hole in the wall that he was making. While the dwarves began to charge to the opposite side of the hall where Gavner had thrown the bench, the creature of the night picked up the massive stone that he took from the throne base, and he once again threw it at the wall with all his strength. The wall collapsed in on itself a bit more, and the hole grew larger in diameter. Gavner looked at the wall, and then at the approaching horde of dwarves. And suddenly decided that the hole was large enough for him to fit through, before diving into the wall. The hole was just large enough for Gavner to fit through. If Gavner had but drunk one more glass of water, or eaten one more crust of bread, he would not have fit through the hole in the wall. Using his arms and legs to wriggle himself, the vampire slowly squirmed down the tunnel which he had opened up. When the dwarves had first dug into the mountain, they needed to dig extra shafts for air in case of cave ins. Gavner had just been lucky and found one of these closed off air shafts.

Adventurer

GP

Name
    Gavner Nahs
    Race
    Vampire
    Gavner continued to crawl through the tunnel until he reached a small opening. He had now come across a real tunnel that clearly had been closed off because there was absolutely no lighting, and no lanterns. If it were not for Gavner’s vampire sight, he would not be able to see anything; however, he could see in the dark. Looking back, he noticed that he was not being tailed. Dwarves may have been shorter than humans and vampires, but they were certainly not skinnier. No, no dwarf was going to be able to crawl through that old abandoned air shaft like Gavner could.

Gavner began to duck walk through the tunnel. The passage was only the size of a dwarf- it must have been an escape tunnel at one point. Perhaps this tunnel could take Gavner directly to an exit. As he continued down the tunnel, the temperature began to rise, and Gavner grew hotter and hotter. The tunnel began to slope upward, and Gavner felt himself climbing upward in the mountain toward the summit. He began to feel relieved. Perhaps his escape would have been easier than he thought!

General Xnias was pacing in the hall in front of the throne. Down at the table where the council once sat, his commanding officers were reporting.

“I don’t care that nobody can fit through that tunnel, just find where it goes!” He shouted angrily. “Ever since day one, that vampire has been nothing but trouble. He has escaped me for the last time.” The officers began to go out and command ranks of men to go and search tunnels throughout the mountain. “Unless…” Xnias thought out loud.

“Captain!” Xnias said.

“Yes general?” The captain replied.

“ He isn’t trying to go covert. He is going to try and escape, that coward! Send all your ranks to the hot springs.”