Level completed: 49%,
    EXP required for next Level: 1,533

GP

Name
    Rameses Oasis Vaeron
    Race
    human
    Ba-dum, ba-dum, ba-dum.

Onwards they rode, through tree and bracken, towards the fortress that hid in the shadows.

Vearon was satisfied to find that they ventured away from where the Gilded Lily was. He was definitely sure, as well, even as the fort was being mentioned and preparations being made, that the elves did not intend to head towards the fortress on the clifftop. Nay, they spoke of a place on flat ground, atop a small hill and surrounded by trees. A place that was falling to ruin, claimed with age and was living with enemies. Yes, the Gilded Lily fortress might be filled with enemies, should these people attack, but it was not in common knowledge. In fact it was rather hidden amongst the grey of the cliff itself, disguised against the rock. Neither had its people recently captured any man elf, for the only two males who dwelt there was Vaeron himself and a recent elf called Tarrimar.

But he was not old enough to be a father, nor was he this Elthas' father, who ran so lithely as the horses cantered. Nay, Tarrmiar was rather a man of more unique skills. Much more akin to the average member of the Gilded Lily, but male.

Therefore, with much confidence the mage, now employed by Elthas, charged alongside the elves through the wood, heading for a fight. Megladon beneath him easily kept up with the lithe steeds of the elves, and the fast legs of those who ran. Intriguingly they kept up with the running horses easily, each pace long enough to be half a stallion's stride and fast enough for their legs to be somewhat of a blur. Weapons in tow the company sped towards their target, the chorus of light feet and heavy hooves the beat of their march.

Slowly the fortress came into view, and the party began to slow down. A dull grey mound of rock and mortar rose from the depths of the trees. In a tight clearing it was surrounded by trees that grew within inches of its walls. The wall itself was clearly aged, with a few watchtowers standing like silent guards, but the roofs of two of them fallen away. Part of the wall near the main gate as well had crumbled, so that an eager horse could clear it. The gate itself was a rusted iron double set - closed for now but looking like it would not take long to barter with. It had a stoney path leading up it, heading to the lump of a keep behind, that was as much looking like a prison as it actually was. Its four square walls were ominous in size but sad in form, with thick ivy growing up one wall. Small figures of guards could be seen peeking out over the top and in the watchtowers themselves, sighing with boredom.

The party slowed, then quietened and turned off the path. With the horses silent and the fortress still plenty of tens of feet away they merged into the trees and became one with nature. With the fortress just in view they hid away, aware of the enemy but them not aware of the impending attack.

Vaeron breathed in slow and swiveled his head around to look at Elthas, avoiding the eyes of the other staring elves. They were hidden for now.

But just for now.

Althanian

EXP: 6,386, Level: 3
    Level completed: 35%, EXP required for next Level: 2,614
    Level completed: 35%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,614

GP

Name
    Elthas
    Race
    Forest Elf

View Profile
    At that point, with the fortress in view, Elthas paused.

Something is wrong... Elthas thought to himself as he stood still and listened to the voices in his mind...of which there were plenty at that point in time. Elthas considered the situation at hand, the cult that found Elthas was leading them off to a side entry path. Well hidden from the guards...but that dreaded feeling lulled in his heart. You won't like the answers you're going to find here... A voice suddenly said to Elthas deep within his subconscious mind. Having expected to see a group of seedy guards present, there were none patrolling. Ellthas looked at Vaeron at that point then the fellow cultists. His brother, Drathis also had a look of concern on his face.

"Elthas...where are the guards...?" Drathis asked.

Then, Elthas noticed it...it was subtle at first. But there. How could I have been so stupid? Twice now, an enemy had blind-sided Elthas. But this enemy was not the Goblins of Stonevale, nor was it mere bandits or mercenaries.

The owner of the voice who called shocked Elthas to his very core. "What are you lot doing here?!" Halm Belthasar suddenly demanded. He was not wearing the symbols of Radasanth...nor the symbols of The Great Tree...

The reality of the situation struck Elthas to his very core. "Father..." Elthas could not accept the betrayal his eyes had just witnessed.

Suddenly, Drathis acted and knocked Elthas to the ground. He was pushing Elthas out of the way of an incoming sword attack...one from Halm Belthasar.

"Drathis..." Halm began. "None of you were supposed to be here." Halm said. "Leave...now...this is your only chance." Halm said calmly. From behind Halm Belthasar, several of the guards of the fortress were already moving to arms to defend their fort.

Elthas was wild eyed as he looked at his Father. He...he...has betrayed us...he has betrayed ME. Halm was busily arguing with Drathis to realize what Elthas was actually doing. "Traitor!" Elthas yelled, and jumped up and off the ground. Summoning his best speed, he lunged towards Halm and managed to cut Halm Belthasar across the side of his face. A singular slash of blood trailed Elven blood down the man's handsome face.

"I...ARGH!" Halm took a step back as if stunned by what had just occurred. "Elthas! What have you done!?"

"No. It is you have taken what you should not have." Elthas suddenly said, as a anger and rage filled his heart. Anger at being lied to right to his face, at having witnessed the least event that he would have ever thought possible. Tears swelled down his face. Actual tears, Elthas was crying. "They sent us a letter, you traitor...said you were kidnapped and could not sent resources to save you..." The Alliances between Men and Elves... Elthas wanted to outright kill his Father.

"You fed me bullshit!" Elthas suddenly yelled. "All my life you made me BELIEVE in the good of Men. The alliance between Men and Elves. To The Tular Plains with you, you TRAITOR!" Drathis and Halm were looking at Elthas, suddenly very VERY afraid.

"Elthas, DON'T"! Drathis suddenly grabbed at Elthas to prevent him from making a horrible choice.

Elthas was trying to break free, but Drathis had over-powered him.

"None of you should have ever been here." Elven blood poured down Halm's handsome face. He took a step backwards. "Drathis...the next time we meet...let him kill me." Halm suddenly said. Halm looked down towards the group of warriors heading their direction. Showing SOME shred of honour and decency, Halm called his dogs off.

Elthas clutched at his brother's shirt. And was openly crying. Drathis was absolutely stunned by what he had had just witnessed. He did not know what to say...

"It's ALL bullshit!" All his life Elthas had lived by a code. A code his Father had instilled in him from his early youth. And now...the great Hero, Halm Belthasar, was little more than a turn coat.

Drathis held his brother and looked up towards Vaeron. "I'm sorry you had to see this. My Brother is not normally like this, I didn't want to have to drag you into a family matter. But thank you for having stayed. When my Brother is calm, talk to him about the rest of your payment." Drathis began to guide his brother away from the fort and it's empty promises.

Elthas was howling as they all traveled back home. The sting of betrayal in his heart.

The voice that had warned him...Elthas realized...had been The Great Tree itself. That small truth helped the reality of their situation. Father has betrayed us all...what do we do now? What do I do now..? Father... Elthas had drawn first blood in their first battle. He would never let that betrayal sit. One day...Elthas would go after Halm Belthasar...and settle the score...one day...

But the day was not that day.

Some time passed.

Vaeron and the others had returned to The Great Tree, and Elthas and Drathis had explained everything that had gone so terribly wrong.

For some reason...Vaeron could have left at any point after Elthas had given him his money. But...the fellow chose to stay. Elthas never really knew why...only that he'd grown quickly attached to Vaeron. It was a week later when Elthas was sitting on a bench in the town of The Great Tree. The only place he could sincerely call home. But since Father's betrayal...everything felt different. He felt different. "I cut him..." Elthas said to nobody in particular as he noticed Vaeron's approach. Elthas nodded to the man casually, trying to hide his conflicting emotions the best that he could.

Father had betrayed them all...
    Forest Childe...

EXP: 3,467, Level: 2
    Level completed: 49%, EXP required for next Level: 1,533

GP

Name
    Rameses Oasis Vaeron
    Race
    human
    He sent a letter back to his home, in the fortress of the Gilded Lily, where he was surrounded by women of no low beauty and quality.

It took him an hour to ride to an outpost where he knew eventually a scout from the Lily would come. Supported as he was by two of Elthas' elven guards he looked awkward and rather posed as he extended a hand with the scribbled note, sealed without a signet. The recipient of the letter - a young human archer by the name of Ellierda, raised a brow as her fingers formed around it. Her eyes glanced to the two elves, who sat on their steeds a respectful distance from Vaeron.

"You are not coming back with me?"

"Tell Philomel that I will return when my business here is done," Vaeron spoke in a low, deep voice. "There are friends here I believe we can make. Potentially future allies."

Ellierda eyed up the guards, then raised a brow but nodded to the mage. "If that is what you wish, Vaeron. Though I would suggest you return soon, as the Matriarch is anxious for your whereabouts."

"The letter will explain it all," Vaeron replied, before spinning his massive horse around and heading back in amongst the trees. With his back to the Lily girl he returned back to Elthas' lodgings, the home of the elf with a betrayer for a father.

Over the next few days Vaeron helped where he could. He gained a familiar sense of trust with some of the elves, although the one who had poised an arrow towards him on their first meeting seemed to constantly be in the periphery of Vaeron's vision. The captain who had first persuaded him to come to meet Elthas spoke kindly, however, and gave Vaeron a dignified amount of trust. The human mage learnt that he was called 'Dierdon' and had a wife who lived back in a small farmstead, along with his son. Vaeron revealed to Dierdon that he had a daughter himself, though nothing more of it beyond that in terms of facts and names, and did definitely not reveal that he was of male inclination.

Sitting down with Elthas an evening later, Vaeron found it time to address his concerns. He had stayed because of the passion of this elf, because of the clear difficulties he was going through. Stress lined Elthas around the eyes and anxiety was in almost every movement. What little good Vaeron could do in the fortress was dust compared to the great swathe of fortune he might be able to bring here. Elthas had seen the way that the mage was able to wield his dagger and bow, and know of the energy that ran within Vaeron's blood.

Besides, Vaeron was not a stranger to elves.

"What are your plans now, Elthas Belthasar?" he addressed him with dignity and forthrightness. "I have only a few more days in which I can aid you, and clearly you have been struck by a particularly defining blow."
    Last edited by Philomel; 12-12-2017 at 09:14 AM.

Althanian

GP

Name
    Elthas
    Race
    Forest Elf

View Profile
    Elthas heard Vaeron's voice...for whatever reason...it calmed him greatly.

Elthas sat there as he listened to the man, attempting to gather his own thoughts. It had been a difficult situation to deal with...and Elthas was struck particularly hard by his Father's betrayal. He had never even suspected that "The Legendary Hero" could do such a thing. But he'd discovered a particular nature of his own growing power...The Great Tree had warned him directly. Elthas looked at Vaeron at that moment. Vaeron had connections, resources...Elthas would have to repay the favour. Though he'd given Vaeron a fair amount of Gold, the weight of friendship was also there.

Elthas nodded to his friend. "...Thank you." The Elf responded to his friend very carefully. "I do have a request for you. From my initial meeting with Halm Belthasar, my Father, I have concluded that I have to grow stronger. I do not know my Father's plans. I have to be ready to fight him again someday." Elthas was a deep thinker and the betrayal hit him very hard, he'd not been thinking straight for a few nights and at that particular moment...clarity struck him. He looked at Vaeron again. "I'd like to go back with you to your Guild." Elthas knew what he was asking. I have to grow stronger... But he needed help, he needed training. His growing abilities alone were not enough to defeat his Father. He needed an edge.

"I'd like to go back with you. There are matters I have to take care of now. There is little reason for me to remain here." Elthas said calmlly. He knew he was saying a lot...but he had to know if the man would accept his proposal. "It is still difficult for me to accept Father's betrayal...but it was a hard learned lesson." Elthas sighed at that point. He knew he could not stay there forever, thinking, musing...he had to take action. And Vaeron represented his first step towards taking that action. The thought repeated itself again in his mind. I have to grow stronger...

Someday...I will defeat Halm Belthasar for what he has done. Elthas stood up at that moment, getting off the bench and looked at Vaeron again. "What do you think about what I am proposing?" He asked and waited to hear the fellow's response.
    Forest Childe...

EXP: 3,467, Level: 2
    Level completed: 49%, EXP required for next Level: 1,533

GP

Name
    Rameses Oasis Vaeron
    Race
    human
    Vaeron studied the man for a while. True, he liked this fellow, with his brave soul and good company. He had been through trials - finding out how much of a failure his father was was s truly disheartening one. It was cruelty for anyone to do that, to go against his clan and family and dishonour them as Halm had done, to actually be a traitor rather than one who was captured.

Elthas was strong, that was clear, and someone that Vaeron could see being an asset not only to the whole of the Gilded Lily but to Philomel herself. She was a beacon for the women to follow under, but more than that a worthy priestess and a brilliant fighter. She had the mind of a key strategist, was a leader of truly mythical proportions and had a good heart. Very like the elf that Vaeron looked at, in a way. If she and Elthas met, under the right circumstances it was clear that they could make some wonders occur.

But what Elthas proposed was ... difficult to say the least. Few had the priviledge of coming to the fortress who were outside of the Gilded Lily - her friend the Huntsman was an immense exception to the rule, and it had largely been because he had been needed to save the girl Celandine's life. Vaeron rubbed his chin, thinking slowly and carefully about how to address what Elthas was asking. True, if Vaeron did bring the elf there would be annoyance for a while, but because of who Vaeron was, there would be forgiveness. Else, Philomel would be tempted to kill or imprison Elthas, because the secret of her fortress was a truly wonderful one. For the safety of all the women ultimately under her protection, she needed it to be such.

"My ... patroness, is not an eager one to allow an outsider she has not chosen into the fortress," Vaeron admitted. "Not one of her choosing. I admit, I find you a good man, and one worthy of meeting her but ..."

He thought then of Shinsou, another man in Philomel's life - the man in her life, in a way - who was allowed to come and go as he pleased. But he was entirely trusted by her, wholly and absolutely. There was also the problem that if Elthas did come to the fortress, then he would very likely meet Tarrimar. And Tarrimar, being Vaeron's partner of the heart ... well. He had no idea what the elf thought of homosexuality but did not want to risk it. Not yet.

"I can arrange a meeting with her," he suggested. "Then she will know you." He nodded, more certain of that. "That is the way it should be."

Althanian

GP

Name
    Elthas
    Race
    Forest Elf

View Profile
    Elthas listened very carefully to what Vaeron was saying.

The fellow was serious in that matter, but Elthas did not mind it.

They'd fought together and had already seen much together. The old ones say that you ever only know someone when you fight along side them or fight them directly. Elthas thought to himself. "I can keep secrets." Elthas suddenly said. "My people say that there are those who are skilled at keeping secrets. Perhaps I am one like that, I don't know. But I am definitely interested in meeting with your patroness. Perhaps things can go into fruition from there."

Elthas was clearly troubled by all that had happened. His blade hand was skilled, but he needed more...he needed training. Elthas rubbed his chin thoughtfully for a moment or two. [b]"I agree to your terms. If such a meeting can be arranged it shall be done at your convenience. I am not in any rush so let your patroness know we can meet at her leisure." Elthas nodded at that point and tried to relax a little. He'd learned much in the adventure alongside Vaeron. He'd learned what he was capable of doing.

Elthas stood up at that point and turned slowly to look at Vaeron.

The afternoon sun shine made him skin seem to glow.

Elthas was handsome.

He was his Father's son after all.

"How would you like to spend the rest of the afternoon?" Elthas suddenly asked. He wanted his friend's input in those plans.
    Forest Childe...

Shattered heart and Soul

EXP: 76,735, Level: 11
    Level completed: 98%, EXP required for next Level: 265
    Level completed: 98%,
    EXP required for next Level: 265

GP

Name
    Amari L'Olfsden
    Race
    Ar'Tuel

View Profile