Althanian

EXP: 31,031, Level: 7
    Level completed: 51%, EXP required for next Level: 3,969
    Level completed: 51%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,969

GP

Name
    Robert Bertrand
    John stood, a life of strangeness the only thing keeping him from going slackjawed at Gum's, and then the paladin's, command of this spirit, some remnant of a bygone age, maybe trapped just the same way the three of them were.

At the paladin's command, the spirit brightened, if only slightly. He saw the detail of the stone in the cavern. It spoke, resolving from a mote of light no bigger than his fist into a wide sheet, drifting toward one side of the cavern, the side still made of dirt and roots.

"I will help you as I can, but I fear my time is short. A force draws me hence. I will help you ere I am gone, though. This path leads I know not where, but staying here is your demise as surely as it was mine. Good luck."

The spirit's light shifted, fading. It looked like it was being sucked...into something, or out of something, but as John noticed it enough to think about it, the light was gone, faded into bits no larger than a flying spark from his forge, and lasting just as long. In place of the spirit, there was a small doorway, so short that even Gum with his hunched form would need to stoop a little to pass through.

This was not going to be a fun trip.

As the spirit went, so did the light though, and John reached out to a mossy wall to steady himself in the darkness.

"Anybody got a light?"
    Last edited by redford; 10-17-2017 at 06:31 PM.

He's alright, our Gum

EXP: 24,290, Level: 6
    Level completed: 62%, EXP required for next Level: 2,710
    Level completed: 62%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,710

GP

Name
    Gum do Mugu
    Race
    Dheathain Human

View Profile
    Do Mugu's mood faded into melancholia with the spirit's dying light. When the passage opened up ahead, he felt an overwhelming rush of despair rise up—it was an energy only those appropriately attuned could feel—and so he steadied his balance with a palm against the cavern's wall. Having felt the eerie surge of dread escape from the tunnel ahead, the shaman began to murmur anxiously under his breath.

"The lost are below. The lost are below. Hundreds of them are haunting the earth."
    Sighing solemnly, the shaman returned the earthworm he had found back in the moist dirt below and moved into the opening. Gum stepped forward, ahead of Cromwell, and stooped his back to stare into the blackness afoot. As terrified as the trapped spirits were, Gum knew their malice was not directed at the shaman, the paladin, nor the warrior.

"Anybody got a light?" Cromwell asked. To which Gum responded with a seldom, subtle smile, "we will not suffer without illumination." The shaman lurched into the darkness and watched as lights, just like the first, brightened the passageway with a familiar amber glow. "These dead, they are our allies."

While taking those first few steps down and into the unknown, Gum glanced back over his shoulder to request assistance from Lorenor. "Paladin, use your power to strengthen these poor souls as we pass by. We will need their light to fight the demons in the darkness." While the shaman himself had abilities to interact with the spirit world, it was evident that Lorenor possessed different, but highly effective powers. "I am pleased to be in the presence of an astute paladin."

The shaman turned his attention to Cromwell next and enthused, "Sir John, we will need your famed strength." Amazed to see it first-hand, the Xangu native pressed his wrinkled fingertips over the magical titanium and remarked, "this metal might be strong, but your spirit is stronger." Whether it would temper the mighty warrior's heart or not, Gum made a promise to Cromwell. "If we die here, your soul will find its way out of here." The shaman was not prone to offering false promises, but there was no way he could be certain any of them could escape this place... whether they be living or dead.
    terrrrrible.jpg

Althanian

EXP: 11,761, Level: 4
    Level completed: 56%, EXP required for next Level: 2,239
    Level completed: 56%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,239

GP

Name
    Lorenor
    Race
    Undead

View Profile
    At that precise moment...Gum took charge of the group.

Mayhaps it was better that way. Lorenor watched the spirit form they'd assisted fade into aetherial energy after it opened a new passage for them. Lorenor cried silently for the lost of the spirit. Damn...if only...I could do more... For some reason, The Paladin found himself thinking about another time. Another place. A place that was destroyed by his failure to do anything against the forces of darkness. Never...again... Lorenor's heart wept for the ruins of Eiksalt. Destroyed by the agents of Darkness. Those who played victims of the very crimes they committed. "Eiskalt." Lorenor said out loud without meaning to.

"One day, I swear I will be strong enough to avenge them." Hearing Gum's words at that point, The Paladin agreed. "I will assist them to the best of my limited power." Lorenor suddenly realized something at that exact point. "Gum...Cromwell...those glowing fungi I saw earlier are not plants. They are residue. SPIRIT RESIDUE. Where in The Thayne's names are we?" The more Lorenor considered the situation at hand...the more he did not like it. The walls were writhing at that point. He decided at first, it had to be a trick of the eyes. Maybe he was tired, maybe he was paranoid. But he could have sworn he saw the walls writhing and twisting.

"Cromwell...DON'T touch the walls." Lorenor said carefully. At the request of the light, Lorenor calmed himself for a moment. He was getting scared...he had not been that afraid in a long time. Where the fuck are we? Why were we summoned here? At first he considered the possibility that they could have been in an intricate Trap set by N'Jal. Though the energies in the air felt far more sinister than anything N'Jal could ever have hoped for. No...it's not N'Jal. I have intricate knowledge of what N'Jal's energies and taint felt like. THIS...WE'RE in a different situation all together. Lorenor was thinking to himself. The trapped spirits were there in the same situation the three wayward Adventurers were...they were all TRAPPED.

Instinctively, Lorenor drew his sword. He began to shine with a very brilliant light, a residue of The Holy Light. His aura. A sort of nimbus glowed that emitted a brilliantly glowing energy. A purity of self. A way of life. Lorenor rushed forward towards Cromwell. "Cromwell! Don't touch the walls!" He hoped he was not too late.

Althanian

EXP: 31,031, Level: 7
    Level completed: 51%, EXP required for next Level: 3,969
    Level completed: 51%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,969

GP

Name
    Robert Bertrand
    John registered the paladin's statement in passing, like a part of a conversation he wasn't interested in. He reached forward still, the wall writhed...invitingly? No, curiously was better. What was it made of? Would it reach out and touch him back? He wanted to touch it.

A hand on his wrist, rough and yanking down, rescued John from his thoughts. He inhaled sharply, looking around almost for the first time since he saw the wall. He looked down to the hand that wrapped a little more than halfway around his wrist, and pulled away from the grasp, looking down at his hand like it had betrayed him.

"It...spoke? Something like that. I don't remember really," John said, trying to put his thoughts, already forgotten, into words. Lorenor spoke up in the silence.

"Best we keep our hands to ourselves, yes? We still don't know anything about this place."

John's eyes were adjusting to the darkness, but he didn't look at the wall again, even though he was catching the sinuous motion out of the corner of his eyes. Even when the paladin summoned light from his sword, he did not look. He hoped Gum was working on getting them out of here. He started to walk through the doorway, ready to be out of wherever they were.

"Best we not think about it either, too," The half-giant said. "Gum, do you know where these spirits are from, or how they were brought here?"

Famed strength indeed, bloody useless if I get distracted by a wall of all things.

upon the cheek of night

EXP: 224,444, Level: 20
    Level completed: 0%, EXP required for next Level: 0
    Level completed: 0%,
    EXP required for next Level: 0

GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod
    Subterranean Worm Civilisation - No Judgment
    Rewards include 1.5x Stonevale Bonus for Lorenor

Gum receives 440 EXP and 44 GP

Paladin_Lorenor receives 580 EXP and 66 GP

redford receives 500 EXP and 44 GP

Congratulations!
    Last edited by Breaker; 06-02-2018 at 08:13 PM.
    "The breeze did not stir. The stars did not twinkle. The trees did not sway and the brook did not babble.
    For the world did not turn when Am'aleh wept, and a tear had tumbled down her cheek."

upon the cheek of night

EXP: 224,444, Level: 20
    Level completed: 0%, EXP required for next Level: 0
    Level completed: 0%,
    EXP required for next Level: 0

GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod
    Rewards added!
    "The breeze did not stir. The stars did not twinkle. The trees did not sway and the brook did not babble.
    For the world did not turn when Am'aleh wept, and a tear had tumbled down her cheek."