Level completed: 65%, EXP required for next Level: 3,861
    Level completed: 65%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,861

GP

Name
    Nevin Aimaparapoiitis
    Race
    Human (Godling)
    Nevin followed the Elf through the dusk-lit streets of the city. He did feel a bit bad now - now that it was fairly safe to believe that Elthas wasn't some kind of bandit, Nevin realized he had probably had other intentions for his day than leading a lost idiot back to human civilization. The man's comment about being stranded in town for the night only served to confirm that. This wasn't his home, and most likely, if he worked with his family as part of a delivery system, they would be concerned and wondering where their family member had gone off to.

Still. No help for it tonight - maybe he could make it up to him by helping him hunt something in the woods nearby, and Elthas could take it back to his family as a token of apology? And gratitude, considering the Elf was showing him the way and also being kind enough to give him an introduction to a local smith. It would probably take a few days to set up some kind of arrangement with the smith about learning from him, but having a proper polite introduction could only serve to make that easier. As they strode through town, Nevin following after Elthas closely to avoid getting lost again.

While they were making their way through the small mining town, Nevin made sure to note a couple empty shops, places where he might be able to open his alchemist's store - and he also noted with some pangs in his stomach where taverns were. Right then - he would get introduced to this... Yark? An interesting name - no matter. Get introduced, some pleasantries as the situation required, then head for food posthaste. He could start making up his debt to the helpful Elf by paying for a meal, perhaps.

Althanian

EXP: 6,386, Level: 3
    Level completed: 35%, EXP required for next Level: 2,614
    Level completed: 35%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,614

GP

Name
    Elthas
    Race
    Forest Elf

View Profile
    The smithy was fairly reputable in Stonevale.

There were several smiths, including a Mastersmith named Yark Enndroth. He was a stout Hume in his late forties but was in very good shape. Working the avnil and hammer all of his life made the older gentleman quite strong physically. The smith shop had a healthy mix of Humans and Dwarves, even an Elf or two working in the forge. The Elves who favoured the blacksmith arts worked their craft in the tradition Elvish style. Elthas knew one of the Elves in the forge as well, a fellow named Llukrath. Llukrath looked up from his work station and smiled at Elthas and his companion.

Llukrath was an older Elf, a refuge from Raiaera. He'd taken an instant liking to Elthas and his family. Llukrath greeted Elthas warmly, as friends might. "Elthas, my boy. Did you get stranded in town again? Your Mother must be worried that you didn't make it home again."

Elthas grinned at his friend. "Is Yark around? I got an introduction to make him. Potential for 'prenticeship." Elthas motioned towards his friend Nevin.

Llukrath nodded. "Yark's in the back. When you're done speaking to him, I'd like a word with you, Elthas."

"Of course, my friend." Elthas shook Llukrath's hand warmly. "Come with me, Nevin. Yark's out back."

The back area of the smith shop looked a bit like a junk shop. Various larger projects were strewn about the yard, and several apprentices were working on this or that. Elthas saw Yark up ahead and walked towards him. He looked at Nevin. "That's Yark, let me speak to him for a moment, wait here." Elthas said to Nevin and walked over towards Yark.

Yark was busily hammering away at a larger-scaled project for a wealthy client. Yark paused for a moment, wiped the swear off his brow and turned his attention to the approaching Elthas. "Ah, you're back are ye? Lookin' for more work?" Yark asked.

"Need a favour." Elthas explained the situation.

"That boy right there you mean? Don't look like much. Little rough 'round the edges if ye ask me." Yark looked at that boy, Nevin. "Don't be alarmed lad, ye are among friends here." The huge armed blacksmith motioned for Nevin to approach. "Now then, let's hear yer story, boy." Yark said and waited for Nevin to approach.
    Last edited by Elthas; 10-05-2017 at 02:34 PM.

EXP: 61,139, Level: 10

GP

Name
    Nevin Aimaparapoiitis
    Race
    Human (Godling)
    Nevin watched as Elthas explained what was going on, folding his arms over his chest as he watched the slender Elf talk to the burly smith. He couldn't make out everything that was being said, but it was evident from the way the black-clad Elf gestured to him a few times that they were speaking about Nevin. Finally the Smith raised his voice and asked for Nevin to approach, as Elthas stepped aside from him.

One short red eyebrow twitched in irritation as the smith said he didn't look like much, but Nevin clamped down on the anger that sparked in his stomach, beating it into submission. Instead he plastered a smile on his face and strode over, bowing slightly to Yark as he approached.

"Good afternoon. My name is Nevin,
    Nevin Aimaparapoiitis. I've actually worked in a smithy before - I was apprenticed, and had just started learning to make simple weapons and armor when my former master had to let me go. No fault of my own!"
    That sentence came out quickly, as being let go from an apprenticeship generally meant that the individual in question had some negative quality or another that drove them out. Nevin waved one hand placatingly to diffuse Suspicion, then rummaged around in his bag and pulled out an envelope. He handed it over to Yark, who opened it and began to read as Nevin spoke.

"Master Lord's nephew came of age and his sister in law demanded that he be apprenticed to my master. Unfortunately my former town was rather small, and Master Lori couldn't afford to have two apprentices. Rather than force him to choose between myself and his family, I suggested he send me out." Yark nodded in response to all of this then folded up the letter and handed it back over to Nevin, studying the redhead with a gimlet eye.

"And what is it you're wanting to do here? That letter mentions that you're also an alchemist,
    picked up a trade already, why not stick with it?"
    Nevin rubbed one arm, the glove chafing against his white sleeve. Eventually he sighed and shrugged before explaining.

"I'm probably about journeyman rank in Alchemy - I know the ingredients and how to make them, and I know quite a few recipes already. However the alchemist I learned from passed on of old age, and I found myself.... Drifting, for lack of a better word. Master Lorm helped me out at that point, and I ended up apprenticing to him to help pay him back for his kindness. But now that I've started learning to be a Smith, I don't want to leave it half-done. If possible, I would come work every few days at your convenience, learning and helping, while also running my own alchemy shop." For a long few minutes Yark stared at him, making Nevin start to grow uncomfortable before he finally snorted and shrugged.

"Fine, do as you'd like. Speak to my chief journeyman. He's an Elf that Elthas knows. The two of you can work out a schedule - but to it tomorrow,
    at the lunch hour after you've gotten your business up. I don't need you trying to do that when you don't even know if you've a shop to work at yourself."
    With that Yark returned to work, clearly dismissing Nevin. The redhead was actually surprised - this was more than he'd expected, for sure. He turned and headed back inside, looking for the Elf that Yark had mentioned.

Althanian

GP

Name
    Elthas
    Race
    Forest Elf

View Profile
    Elthas observed Yark and the newly acquired apprentice very carefully. When Yark mentioned Llukrath, Elthas nodded. He turned towards Yark and thanked him for his attention to the situation at hand. Then, Elthas proceeded to walk with Nevin as the boy proceeded back in the smith shop. "Yark is referring to Llukrath, he's a friend of my family." Elthas said casually. "Let me make the introduction for you, Nevin and then we can proceed from there." Elthas generally liked being a social fellow.

He knew most folks liked to keep to themselves, but Elthas was very much a social butterfly. He walked towards Llukrath and addressed him. "Llukrath." Elthas bowed his head carefully. Then he explained the situation to Llukrath once more. First to Yark, then to Llukrath himself.

Llukrath looked at Nevin with an understanding expression. "Alchemy shop, huh?" Llukrath considered what he'd just learned. "Elthas take him to speak to the Clinic in town, they could use more apothecaries. Also...there are a few plots in town for a new work shop. If you can get the permit..."

"I'll pay for it." Elthas suddenly said. In his adventures he'd amassed a considerable fortune on his own. "It's to help him out and I consider Nevin a friend." Elthas turned towards Nevin. "Show him your introductory letter. And then work the scheduling out as Yark explained it to you. When you're ready we'll seek out the apothecary within the clinic. There is someone you need to speak to there before you start." Elthas hoped that Nevin understood the gravity of the situation at hand. Elthas had offered to vouch for Nevin. Further, he'd offer to pay, out of pocket, for Nevin's shop. "Plus, I know Stonevale can benefit from a dedicated Alchemist." Elthas considered the situation, if he ran the shop with medicines and other potions...Nevin would make a killing on the open market. It would be a valid business deal.

Elthas rubbed his chin as he waited for Nevin to take care of things with Llukrath...

GP

Name
    Nevin Aimaparapoiitis
    Race
    Human (Godling)
    Nevin was staring at the Elf now, wholly suspicious. He had distractedly handed Llukrath the message, his eyes scanning Elthas intently. On the surface, the Elf he had met in the forest seemed entirely genial, friendly and outgoing in a way that jarred Nevin, and grated at rough edges he would prefer left alone. The other man seemed to have no problem talking to everyone he came across, and they all seemed to like him well enough.

But he trusted Nevin, trying to help him purchase a shop to set up his alchemy in. Or, more likely, he was trying to take advantage of the new guy. Be nice, be friendly, help him to town and help him get set up - and then make sure he knows you're indebted to him. Nevin rubbed his left arm unconsciously as he took a half step back, giving his head a slight shake.

"No, no, there's no need for you to do that Elthas." If the offer was genuine, then Nevin would regret turning it down later - not having to pay for the shop would be a boon as it would give him far more funds to work with in getting ingredients to work with. "I actually have saved up the money myself to pay for a shopfront, and gathering the ingredients is simply a few trips into the forest to get started, as I already have the tools. No, no I could not impose in such a manner on you, not after you hav already introduced me to a potential new teacher." Here he nodded in Llukrath's direction, and the other Elf raised a delicate eyebrow.

"And I think meeting the clinic and apothecary can wait for the morning - for tonight, I think perhaps food and rest would be best, and we can work on more introductions on the morrow." Hopefully Elthas wouldn't raise any objections to the change in the course of plans.

Althanian

GP

Name
    Elthas
    Race
    Forest Elf

View Profile
    Elthas considered his friend's objections. There's now way he has the money to afford the shop on his own. Unless he's more resourceful that he leads on... Elthas considered the newly found mystery. As he looked at Nevin and Llukrath he nodded in consent. I don't like leaving him without help...but I will do as he asks... Elthas thought to himself. He looked at his friend with a soft smile. "The old Inn is a good place to get a warm bed and a hot meal." Elthas said calmly. "I must speak with Llukrath about a matter. But I will join you at The Inn on the morrow." Elthas said calmly. Then he nodded gracefully towards Nevin.

At that point, he walked over towards Llukrath. Elthas greeted his friend warmly. "Llukrath...you said you had a matter to discuss?"

"Yes, my boy." Llukrath began. "I just received word that the parcel you sent to Radasanth was sent safely." Llukrath said. "Further, there is another matter we need to talk about."

"Go on." Elthas said calmly.

"I have talked to The Elders of The Great Tree about setting up permanent trade between Stonevale and there." Llukrath considered what he was about to say. "The Elders were pleased with the idea. There would be need for consistent Runners between Stonevale and The Great Tree."

"I see...so you want me to stay on a more permanent basis?" Elthas asked.

"Elthas...there are few Runners between the towns these days. Runners make good money, but I know you're far from interested in that." Llukrath continued. "I need someone who can act locally and run between both towns at will, operating independently." Llukrath explained.

"Would I be working out this shop or Stonevale in general?" Elthas asked.

"I knew you would not let me down." Llukrath's expression lit up. "I need someone local for now. For tonight though, get some rest and be ready to work tomorrow." Llukrath said calmly.

"Llukrath...thank you for taking on Nevin as an Apprentice. I think he will do great things here." Elthas said.

"No Elthas. Thank you for bringing him to us...if you had not been there he might not have ever made it to Stonevale in the first place. Your Father has taught you well. Thank you for honouring The Old Alliances." Llukrath said.

"I always will, Llukrath. Upon the name of my Family, I swear it!" He smiled and bowed towards Llukrath.

"Go with The Great Tree's blessing my boy. And return to us tomorrow." Llukrath went back to work.

Elthas walked out of the smith shop. For a moment he stared in the direction of the old inn. He was certain Nevin would have been there by that point. Instead, he decided to sleep by old trees as was customary for his people. He raised up the hood of his cloak, stared off at the direction of the old inn again and smiled softly. He nodded and walked back towards Ruild..he would not enter it at night on his own, but he could find a quiet spot by some trees to sleep against. After all the land...the forest...belonged to no one. Hume or Thayne alike.

~Fin~

GP

Name
    Nevin Aimaparapoiitis
    Race
    Human (Godling)
    Nevin bowed to the two Elves - in gratitude to both, one who had managed to guide him to town, and the other who had agreed to let him continue his apprenticeship working under him. The fact that Elthas had not pressed the money issue further almost made the red-head regret rejecting the kind offer, but instead he mostly felt relief that Elthas didn't seem upset by it, though there had been a moment of an odd expression in the Elf's eyes. Still, beyond the parting pleasantries the two did not seem to need or want his company, and he was... Content with that. He had a plan of action for the man who ring - a loud growl from his stomach prompted Nevin to stride out the door.

It was fifteen minutes later that Nevin realized that he had a significant problem in front of him. When he had left, it had apparently slipped everyone's minds that Nevin did not know the town, or know how to get around it. There had been no clue as to where the Tavern that Elthas has mentioned actually was - and at this point, Nevin wasn't even sure he actually remembered the name of the place correctly. But that wasn't his real problem. The true issue that was currently perplexing the alchemist, and had indeed made him realize that he hadn't gotten directions...

Was the fact that he was once again outside of town. Close enough to still be 'in' it for most purposes of the word, but really all that were around him at this point were small farmer's huts, fields, and the occasional guard post. Nevin reached up with one gloved hand and massaged his temples in aggravation - before stopping a passing man and asking him for guidance to a decent inn where he could get a hot meal and sleep, as he was new to the town. The man laughed and guided him to the Wooden Trumpet, a moderately large inn that at the very least sold mead and bread, and the bed that Nevin collapsed into wasn't swarming with mites. It was enough for him, for that night.

~Fin~

Legend

EXP: 127,650, Level: 15
    Level completed: 55%, EXP required for next Level: 7,350
    Level completed: 55%,
    EXP required for next Level: 7,350

GP

Name
    Philomel van der Aart (+ Veridian)
    Race
    Faun (+ Fox/Earth Spirit)

View Profile
    Name of Thread: Off the Trail
    Type of Judgement: No Judgement

Rewards:

Nevin receives:
    990 EXP
    149 GP

Elthas receives:
    968 EXP
    132 GP

Inclusive of 1.5x under level 5 Stonevale bonus.

“Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars, not if you care for such things.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

“I didn't know that idiocy caused people to just start spontaneously bleeding from the nose.”
    ― Veronica Roth, Allegiant

Legend

EXP: 127,650, Level: 15
    Level completed: 55%, EXP required for next Level: 7,350
    Level completed: 55%,
    EXP required for next Level: 7,350

GP

Name
    Philomel van der Aart (+ Veridian)
    Race
    Faun (+ Fox/Earth Spirit)

View Profile