Level completed: 68%,
    EXP required for next Level: 4,814

GP

Name
    Madison Freebird
    Race
    Briarheart

View Profile
    Ninja Gaiden gets name-dropped, but no love for the far-superior Vice: Project Doom?

Also, The Guardian Legend (NES) is a mix of Gradius, Legend of Zelda, and Metroid. Highly recommended.

Ride The Lightning

EXP: 166,794, Level: 17
    Level completed: 83%, EXP required for next Level: 3,206
    Level completed: 83%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,206

GP

Name
    Storm Veritas
    Race
    Human
    I didn't like Vice as much as NG, because I didn't play it as a kid. They're both obviously dated, so nostalgia has a value.

I didn't like the driving at ALL in Vice, and the side-scrolling felt like a weird Batman/Contra hybrid to me, where you get the mediocre weapons of Batman with the wild bosses from Contra.

It's a good game, but came out too late to get the acclaim.

Hero

GP

Name
    Garron Ivari Cadeyrn
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    On awesome frustration tops, Friday the 13th for NES has always kicked me in the ass. I was never able to actually beat it on that console. I still long to destroy that game on actual NES.
    "My life is simple, my food is plain, and my quarters are uncluttered. In all things, I have sought clarity. I face the troubles and problems of life and death willingly. Virtue, integrity and courage are my priorities. I can be approached, but never pushed; befriended but never coerced; killed but never shamed."

EXP: 61,139, Level: 10
    Level completed: 65%, EXP required for next Level: 3,861
    Level completed: 65%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,861

GP

Name
    Nevin Aimaparapoiitis
    Race
    Human (Godling)
    I'll toss Psychonauts in if it isn't already here - and Jet Force Gemini for the N64! And Quest 64

GP

Name
    Zeph Sorensson
    Race
    Human
    Lots of good games on this list, no need to repeat, but I'll toss one out I haven't seen yet:

Rimworld.

A base-builder, it's similar to Dwarf Fortress (without the difficulty of trying to figure out which Unicode symbol means "wheelbarrow") and allows you a pretty high degree of freedom in crafting whatever life you'd like for your colonists.

I've had one game where I worked as the paragon of the people, healing any tribespeople who attacked me and sending them back to their people to speak my praises. I would recuperate them in my Tier1 medical facility, complete with bionic legs and eyes and whatever else they lost in the fight between their spears and my plasma rifles.

On the other hand .... there was definitely one game where we huddled in the frozen tundra, dug our way into a mountain, and started manufacturing cocaine grown in hydroponics vats to support our quest for world domination. And in that one, we preferred to harvest the organs of people who attacked us, and their tribes never saw them again.

Certainly morally ambiguous, very open-ended, and a ton of fun.

Hero

GP

Name
    Garron Ivari Cadeyrn
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Rimworld seems interesting, Zeph. Another of my irritation games to pile on the list is Ghost & Goblins. It also deserves my awesome standard for irritating the hell out of me.
    "My life is simple, my food is plain, and my quarters are uncluttered. In all things, I have sought clarity. I face the troubles and problems of life and death willingly. Virtue, integrity and courage are my priorities. I can be approached, but never pushed; befriended but never coerced; killed but never shamed."

EXP: 4,856, Level: 2
    Level completed: 96%, EXP required for next Level: 144
    Level completed: 96%,
    EXP required for next Level: 144

GP

Name
    Erirag

View Profile
    If you have a PS1 and can find it or if you have a PS3 and get it off the PSN, my all time favorite game is Suikoden II. It was basically perfection so...
    the only good orc is a dead orc

Hero

GP

Name
    Garron Ivari Cadeyrn
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    I was addicted to ToeJam & Earl for Sega Genesis back in the day.

Hero

GP

Name
    Garron Ivari Cadeyrn
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Gonna switch gears and pop off with one of my favorite fighting games. Samurai Showdown kicked ass!

EXP: 61,139, Level: 10
    Level completed: 65%, EXP required for next Level: 3,861
    Level completed: 65%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,861

GP

Name
    Nevin Aimaparapoiitis
    Race
    Human (Godling)
    Lord, I sank a lot of time into Soul Calibur back in the day. 2 was where it was at.
    - "We are born of the blood, made men by the blood, undone by the blood; Fear the old blood."

Nevin: Formal, thoughtful, nurturing, bearer of tropey tentacles.

"More threads! More! Threads for the Crimson Thread King!"
    A member of the NevCrew:
    Nevin: Thread count: please, don't try.
    Erik: Thread count: five or six. Maybe seven...
    Huntsman: seven. Maybe eight. Shhhhhhh.
    Telli' thread count: zero. I just can't get into writing the little hellion.
    Ronnel: Not even approved yet.