GP

Name
    William Arcus
    Race
    Revenant

View Profile
    Dark Souls
    Sunless Sea

Because I like dark, frustratingly difficult games with obscure lore.
    "I have looked upon all that the universe has to hold of horror, and even the skies of spring and the flowers of summer must ever afterward be poison to me." - Call of Cthulhu

David vs. Goliath: History's first recorded critical hit.

EXP: 61,139, Level: 10
    Level completed: 65%, EXP required for next Level: 3,861
    Level completed: 65%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,861

GP

Name
    Nevin Aimaparapoiitis
    Race
    Human (Godling)
    Dark Souls is a fantastic series. Nioh is similar, not as good but decent. I'm looking forward to a few upcoming games - Sunless Skies, Visage

Has anyone tossed Alan Wake in on this pile yet?

Hero

GP

Name
    Garron Ivari Cadeyrn
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Good stuff, Rev! Shenmue was fav of mine on Dreamcast. Skies of Arcadia also!
    "My life is simple, my food is plain, and my quarters are uncluttered. In all things, I have sought clarity. I face the troubles and problems of life and death willingly. Virtue, integrity and courage are my priorities. I can be approached, but never pushed; befriended but never coerced; killed but never shamed."

Newcomer

GP

Name
    Kadir Ivarse
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    I played Bard's Tale for Xbox a LOT.

Hero

GP

Name
    Garron Ivari Cadeyrn
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Did anyone have a hard time with Rygar for NES? I used to get so frustrated with that game. Total arm flailing and screaming at the t.v.-like. I have to add that for sheer difficulty with the lives available with that game on NES. Definitely worth my awesomeness standard for irritating the hell out of me.
    "My life is simple, my food is plain, and my quarters are uncluttered. In all things, I have sought clarity. I face the troubles and problems of life and death willingly. Virtue, integrity and courage are my priorities. I can be approached, but never pushed; befriended but never coerced; killed but never shamed."

EXP: 113,151, Level: 14
    Level completed: 62%, EXP required for next Level: 5,849
    Level completed: 62%,
    EXP required for next Level: 5,849

GP

Name
    William Arcus
    Race
    Revenant

View Profile
    Speaking of liking hard games, the wife and I are just over halfway through with Cuphead. We're having a lot of fun getting frustrated as hell.
    "I have looked upon all that the universe has to hold of horror, and even the skies of spring and the flowers of summer must ever afterward be poison to me." - Call of Cthulhu

David vs. Goliath: History's first recorded critical hit.

Hero

GP

Name
    Garron Ivari Cadeyrn
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    I'll have to look into Cuphead. The wife and I like games like that. I have to throw Q*bert in the pile for pure frustration favs. Gah... I used to get soooo angry with that game. xD

EXP: 22,896, Level: 6
    Level completed: 42%, EXP required for next Level: 4,104
    Level completed: 42%,
    EXP required for next Level: 4,104

GP

Name
    Atzar Kellon
    Civilization, Age of Empires, Total War. Those are some of my favorite PC franchises.

Tales of Maj'Eyal is a roguelike game into which I've sunk a ton of hours. Roguelikes are a niche genre, but if you like them, ToME is probably my favorite of the bunch.

Spelunky is a platformer/roguelike mashup that fits in with the 'hard game' discussion you were having. You will die.

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is terrific. Favorite game in a long, long time.

I also dig the classics from the SNES days. Super Mario World, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Mega Man X, Donkey Kong Country 1/2/3, Kirby Superstar. Metroid is another, albeit one I never got into myself.

If you want something extremely difficult, check out some kaizo hacks for Super Mario World. Very hard, very frustrating, but very rewarding when you make progress.

Ride The Lightning

EXP: 166,794, Level: 17
    Level completed: 83%, EXP required for next Level: 3,206
    Level completed: 83%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,206

GP

Name
    Storm Veritas
    Race
    Human
    Quote Originally Posted by Garron View Post
    Did anyone have a hard time with Rygar for NES? I used to get so frustrated with that game. Total arm flailing and screaming at the t.v.-like. I have to add that for sheer difficulty with the lives available with that game on NES. Definitely worth my awesomeness standard for irritating the hell out of me.
    Great one! Rygar used to kick my ass! I love Ninja Gaiden for the same reason - really easy for a bit and then just gets obscenely hard.

Hero

GP

Name
    Garron Ivari Cadeyrn
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Great call on Ninja Gaiden! That game used to kick my ass too. It's definitely among my favorites!