Level completed: 54%, EXP required for next Level: 3,690
    Level completed: 54%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,690

GP

Name
    Captain Cain Jodin

View Profile

Not for Glory

"You'll do..." the Recruiter said as he looked me over as a piece of horse flesh on sale. "What is your name, boy?"

Rubbing sweat and dirt from my face, earned from a long day of cutting wheat, I answered. "Lucas Victus, bond servant of Tiro - the owner of this Villa."

The recruiter - still looking me over, nodded and smiled. "Victus, huh? Well, consider your debt to Tiro forgiven. He has given you to the Imperial Army as a soldier in his stead."

That was about right, I thought, giving him a glare. Tiro was the kind to pay his slaves and bond servants wages so low that it would take them a lifetime or more to pay for their freedom, or pay off their debts. This has been the way of his father, and his father before him. Now his son was being brought to do the same. It was just like Tiro to worm his way out of fighting in a war. It really didn't matter now; I was free, and paid a much better wage than the pittance that was provided to me by such a master.

I nodded in understanding, keeping my contempt for my former master in check (for now) "Very well, what will you have me do?"

The Recruiter smiled, and pointed me to a wagon with a half dozen other new conscripts: "Get on."

I complied, and after all accounts were settled, the wagon, recruiter and all began a long journey south. During the trek south I was given a very big picture of the Empire's geographical and political situation. The Empire was currently ruled by Emperor Atticus the Third, who is supposedly kept in check by a weakening Senate.

To are north are a loose coalition of tribesmen, off-shore raiders and nomadic warriors. Should they ever truly organize into one cohesive force they would match any army on the planet.

To the west is a large ocean, further west unknown land spoken of in legends and stories from north men traders and captured slaves.

To the south is our main rival when it comes to economic strength. The Land of P'tah was there, a land of fertile rivers and blistering heat, the peoples being split up into three groups. There were the main body of olive skinned who made up the diplomats, priests, professional soldiers, business men, and politicians. There was a city state of slaves within the south's borders which borders which made up the bulk of city builders. Finally, there was the less organized slave army which was used as cannon fodder. As our Empire was currently undergoing a war of expansion in the south, this was the direction that was given the most detail.

Finally, to our east was a large and imposing mountain range, and beyond that lied plains filled with horses, horsemen and a brutal war chief gaining power and men under him at a frightening rate. The Imperial Army's has achieved only two victories against this force of horse soldiers, and those were both hollow.
    Last edited by jdd2035; 12-10-2017 at 07:06 PM.