EXP: 31,310, Level: 7
    Level completed: 54%, EXP required for next Level: 3,690
    Level completed: 54%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,690

GP

Name
    Captain Cain Jodin

View Profile
    I was still full from the previous night’s meal, and eager to meet my friend. I knew in my mind that it would take several days if not weeks to have him tracked down, but it still was dwelling on my mind. There were other problems I need to focus my mind upon as well, I needed money. I had saved almost all of my gold and silver earned while I was bonded to Abasi, and I was rewarded nicely with a fair sum of money from the sell of Abasi’s rams and goats, but it would not last. Especially when I was not earning any new money, times would get thin for a little while as Leif and I planned our next move.

Then the thought occurred to me, I already knew the next move we were going to liberate our fellow legionnaires, and after that march north. We couldn’t stay, odds were that if we tried to attack with such a small force we would be overwhelmed by P’Tah’s forces, and if waited than news of the rescue would find its way to a garrison and we would be attacked, and again we would be overwhelmed.

I would need to prepare, Leif would need a loreca and a weapon at the very least, I would probably need a scutum. All it would take was money, and I had a few days at the least before I would have to buy what we needed, and in that time I could earn more. Looking across the tent I said “Abasi, in the time I have known you, your herd has been attacked by thieves, have any of your neighbors been attacked as well?”

Abasi nodded “It is an unfortunate fact of life out here, far from a city, and its garrisons. Thieves camp out in the wilderness, and pray on our flocks, steal our money, and kill our slaves. Some are deserters from both Imperial, and P’Tah armies, others are escaped slaves, and still more are criminals who have been forced out of the cities.”

I nodded and asked “Are they organized?”

Abais shook his head “No, if they had organized, they would have became a credible threat to P’Tah and would be dealt with swiftly. To, the garrison’s they’re just a nuisance. To us, the people out here they’re just an unfortunate fact of life.”

I rubbed my chin contemplating shaving the beard I had grew into something nearer an Imperial type. “Where do they come from?”

Abasi shrugged “You will have to ask them. None of us shepherds have tried hunting them.”

I grinned and said “I will ask them.” I was eager, I didn’t have any particular grievance against freed slaves, but criminals, and deserters they were in the wrong. They were also the better equipped and more dangerous. I had no problems dealing with them.

It would take time, time for Abasi to find Leif, and time for me to raid some small groups of thieves. Robbing thieves, I enjoyed the irony of the idea, and the fact made me smile. It was a chance for me to practice single combat properly, something I haven’t had in a long time.

The next week Abasi made a few trips to Fort Ramses, and I started patrolling Abasi’s herd and a few of Abasi’s neighbors. There were a few attacks by feral dogs, even one by a pack of hyenas. The thieves seemed to have kept quiet in the area I patrolled.

Thieves, they like any other predator attacked the weak, and injured. If you prove yourself difficult to take advantage of, they will find easier prey. The shepherds were grateful, and paid me a small reward for the hides of the dogs, and hyenas.

I had went about things all wrong being in my armor, and carrying my gladius at my side. The next week I tried something more subtle, I put away my armor, and gladius, I took up a shepherd’s crook once again, and sheathed my pugio underneath the robes of a common shepherd. I smelled of sheep, goats, and camels and mixed among the herds. It was only a matter of time until thieves finally returned.

They showed up in the evening, not many mind you but enough to really do the job on a few slaves and steel sheep. The leader of the little rabble was a fat Aegean, a light olive skinned man with black greasy hair. He lumbered towards a slave, and pummeled him to the ground with a heavy, and sloppy strike with a cestus, while another pair swarmed him. The fight was not fair at all.

The sheep, and goats retreated further into the corral that they were kept in, as the thieves made sure that the slave was dead before they started moving in for the sheep. I had seen this happen from across a small valley. It is an unfortunate reality that if you are not able to defend yourself, help can and often will arrive too late.

The thieves concentrated more on taking the sheep, than keeping an eye out for anyone else be that a shepherd, guard or someone like myself; one of which was entertaining the others with a kind of steeple chase. The fat Aegean had a wheezing laugh, as he he sat upon a rock making sport of his comrade. I sprinted towards the leader of the thieves, jumping onto the rock, and thrust my pugio into his neck, and shoulder.

The fat Aegean shouted in pain before he reached over his head, and threw me onto the ground. There was a flow of blood running down his shoulder, and chest as he stood to strike me with hs cestus. The first blow came down harder than expected and made my head spin, he drew back to take a second strike but lost his footing, stumbling back. I took that opportunity and lept back at him driving my pugio into his belly, sawing across his midsection.

Mid saw I was abruptly ripped from the fat Aegean by his two compatriots I landed hard and lost my pugio. They in turn drew their weapons, one had a pugio similar to mine, the other drew a an exotic looking curved sword, with an intricately carved hilt. While prone I grabbed two large handfuls of sand and rocks and hurled it in their faces. When they recoiled I shoulder tackled the one with the sword, as he was the nearest, and we both hit the ground. I grabbed a nearby rock, and was about to smash his jaw when the thief with the dagger kicked the rock out of my hand before driving his dagger at my shoulder in a similar fashion as I did the Aegean.

I rolled off the thief with the sword and scrambled back to my feet, the pugio, a kind of dagger slashing through the sleeve of my shepherd’s robe, digging into my bicep. The thief with the pugio continued to slash and hack at me while his compatriot clambered back to his feet. As I worked to gain some distance from the pair I picked up a rock on the move, and underhand tossed it at the thief with the pugio. It struck his stomach, he let out an “oof!” doubled over and tripped his partner. They both struggled to disentangle themselves from one another, and I struck back but kicking the thief in the throat leaving him gasping, and clutching his gullette.

The thief with the sword stepped over his gasping buddy and in a two handed over the head swing attacked. The attack was slow, but powerful, I sidestepped the attack as it came down, and struck the thief in the kidney. The thief let out a howl and spun around, with his exoticly curved sword. I caught his wrists in a wrestling move, forced his arms up, drove my knee into his groin. I felt the grip on his sword loosen, and I drove my knee into his groin again for good measure.

The thief finally dropped his sword, and I smashed my head into his nose, and face. He spit out teeth onto the desert sand, and staggered back, then fell grabbing his face, and gargling his own blood. I finished him off as with a quick stomp, and turned my attention back to the, only surviving thief left.

He was still gasping, and choking for breath trying to get away from the corral, and me. Picking up the exotic sword I chased after him, and kicked his legs out from under him. Placing the blade near the thief’s neck I told him “take me to where you’re hiding.” In retrospect this was a very bad idea, as there could have been more thieves hiding. Nevertheless under the threat of death he took me to where the tro had been stashing their loot.

It was nestled in a small pile of rocks, where a makeshift pen was holding about a half dozen sheep, and goats. An old decrepit camel that should have been set free a year ago, and a real pretty roan horse, that looked emaciated. There were baskets of salted meat, and a cask of date wine, and a small bag of coins. I drove that thief, who was still trying to breath properly, the goats, sheep, camel, and horse; the last two carrying the stolen goods, back to Abasi’s home.

GP

Name
    Captain Cain Jodin

View Profile
    After the fight, and thinking back to it I was very lucky. The slash to my robe could have been through my flesh as well, the punch to the head from the fat Aegean could have knocked my unconscious. Things could have gone against my favor in a myriad of ways, and I could be just as dead as the slave, or the other two thieves. It is an often overlooked fact of life that you tomorrow is not guaranteed, especially when you went actively put yourself in harm's way. Throughout that entire fight I relied more on luck, than any skill I had.

Abasi was happy upon my return, he graciously bought the sheep, goats, camel, and even the thief as a replacement for the lost slave. I decided to keep the horse, he was not ready to be ridden yet, he was too skinny, and weak to carry much more than that I put on his back. The salted meat, and wine I gave to him outright for the trouble of keeping me around.

I had rearmed myself after the brawl I had with the thieves. I retrieved the pugio I claimed, and decided to claim the exotic sword. It’s ballance was different than that of a gladius, but it felt comfortable in my hand, and was designed to be forgiving in the cut.

“Abasi, what is the name of this sword?” I questioned handing him the curved blade. He took it from me and examined it, he rolled it and tested its balance. There was a bit of an old warrior within him, from a forgotten past, buried by years of shepherding. “It is called a khopesh, it’s a blade taken from a land we conquered in the east. It’s a good blade, you can catch people with the hook, cut them, or stab them.” He demonstrated each kind of attack one could do with such a blade, and handed it back to me.

I smiled “I like it!” I exclaimed comparing it to my gladius, it hung lower than I liked it to, I would have to get a scabbard that fit to my back for it. It was about six inches longer than my gladius, but it felt about the same weight. The extra length would be a boon in any kind of fight, as it was said, if you can touch your enemy, and they can not touch you then the fight is won. I sheathed it to my belt for now, and adjusted my it the best I could. After adjusting the fit I pulled my belt off, and took a look at my face in the mirror. It had been quite some time since I had cleaned myself up.

I walked the horse to a nearby spring, and let it drink while I bathed. The horse seemed to be well trained, just neglected. The spring had a stone pool built around it to gather water for such a purpose, and I used it to soak my body. The water was warmed by the desert sun, but not to a point that would be comfortable. I dunked my head into the water, and scrubbed the dirt, blood, and sweat from my body. I donned my tunic, and walked the horst back to Abasi’s home.

The following evening, Abasi came to visit me “I have news of your friend.” he said sitting across from me in his tent.

I smiled and sat down, “so you found him?” I asked eagerly.

Abasi nodded and said “he survived the battle you were in, and was taken prisoner. He was than sold into slavery.” The old shepherd got solom, “he has been resistant to his master's will, he has been whipped, starved, and left in the sun to try and break him. His master is at his wits end and the next time your friend resists, he will be scourged to death.”

I smiled, and then chuckled, my friends life was in danger, but there was a silver lining. Abasi leaned forward curiously and asked “what is so funny?”

Gasping for a breath I stated “He can probably be bought for cheap. I’m never gonna let him live it down.” Abasi smiled and laughed along side me “tomorrow I shall attempt to purchase him.”

I thanked Abasi and went for an evening walk. I took the roan horse along with me, I had started feeding him dates along with his normal graze. It had only been a few days since he had been given any attention but he had already shown signs of improvement. There was a light in his eyes that wasn’t there when I first found him. He also seemed to have more energy, his ears perked up more, and he seemed to trot around a bit when I let him. All that being said, he was still a skeleton inside his own skin. I dared not put him through the stress of riding him at this moment.

The next few nights were going to be stressful enough, I would have to get my friend food, make sure he was still able to fight and then implement the rest of my incredibly loose plan of rescuing my compatriots. I honestly did not know what I was doing.

What I did know was a few things, first I knew that in spite of my training I still needed to learn a lot more. Secondly, I knew that in a few hours, a day or two at the most I would have a compatriot, that opened more options for me, and finally I would not be alone anymore. Yes I was surrounded by slaves, Abasi, Naomi, Bhati, and whatever visitors may come to Abasi’s home, but I was still alone, in a strange land, surrounded by people that spoke a strange language, who did not share a people's history, common experiences, or even the same nationality.

In a few days I will be reunited with my fellow countryman, a fellow cohort, and a very good friend. I was acquainted with the slaves and of course Abasi and Naomi, they were hospitable even when I was a slave, but friends took a long time to cultivate, and even now with all my work they were still at a distance. I was almost giddy, I was nervous because as soon as Leif was freed the next step of my plan would be set into motion.

I just had to wait.

GP

Name
    Captain Cain Jodin

View Profile
    Finally, the day that Abasi was to purchase Leif came; Abasi, and I traveled to Kheb the trip being faster when not herding sheep, and slaves. The transaction was antiseptic, Leif’s owner a man named Ubaid having grown tired of Leif’s antics offered to sell him to us for five silver pieces, in comparison to this betrayal cost thirty pieces of silver. What came next was quite a bit more exciting.

Leif was transported from Ubaid’s place, to Kheb in a slave cart; a cart, pulled by a mule, carrying a cage with a slave or slaves in it. There were two retainers which were used to guard the cart, and when the cage door was opened, and Leif’s feet touched solid ground he sprang like a cat. First he drove his elbow into the one of the retainers, as the first retainer lurched to the side, Leif than shoulder tackled the second one, and started sprinting off with his hands still tied.

I was both happy, and panicked my friend, and cohort was still a spirited warrior, but at any given moment an overzealous guard might put an arrow through him. I stepped out of the shade of the Venalitii, or slave traders stall and shouted “Leif!” he came to a screeching halt and looked up at the familiar voice. The two retainers, caught up with Leif and were about to beat him down and I shouted at them too “IF you touch him again will have you whipped by the guards. He is not yours, not any more!” I placed my hand upon my khopesh to solidify the point. I shook my head at both of them, but maintained eye contact at Leif. He caught my meaning easily enough, and returned Abasi, and my side. After the little incident we took our leave of Ubaid, and left the city not wanting more trouble.

Once we were a safe distance from the city of Kheb I turned to Leif and told him with a waggish glee “I always knew you were cheap” and cut his bonds before handing him a pugio.

Leif looked down at his cut bonds, the knife in his hands and the slow realization that he was once again free passed through his mind. He smirked, which grew into a genuine grin. Then he hugged me, with a back breaking, rib crushing hug “Thank the gods! Thank you my good friend!” I could barely breath in Leif’s excitement.

He finally dropped me, jumped into the air and shouted joyously eventually though he did come down from his initial excitement, though he kept a perpetual grin which seemed to complement his strange blue tattoos on his face, and wrists. Leif grinned at me and said “Lucas Victus! My good friend, I owe you a debt that I fear that I cannot repay.”

I knew what he meant, he meant that he owed me his freedom, but I replied “I am sure you will find five silver, in time.”

He smiled at the sentiment and stated plainly “You, have freed me from slavery. If you will permit me I would follow your lead.” He was sincere in his statement and offered his hand.

I took it and answered him “Only if you follow me as a friend. I have no room for slaves, you are your own man.” Leif shook my hand in a familiar vice like grip, and we made idle talk on our way back to Fort Commodus . We stopped at the tavern, and Leif, and I shared a meal, at Abasi’s expense.

There we talked quietly amongst ourselves, leaning over the table I asked Leif “So, tell me about what happened after the battle? After the cavalry charge.”

Leif shook his head replying “There’s not a lot to tell really. After the cavalry charge, the battle was pretty much over. You were buried under a horse, and looked like you were dead. After all was said and done, there were about fifty survivors.” Leif grimaced “Out of fifty two hundred, the rest of us were rounded up, and taken to Fort Commodus, there the tribunes, and centurions were executed. The rest of us were sold to the salt mine, some of us tried to escape right away not knowing where to go. They were never seen again, as for me I was resistant to the whip, I knew if I pushed too far they’d just kill me but I did make things difficult, out of frustration they sold me off to someone else. I made things difficult for him too, eventually he heard someone was looking to purchase me, and here we are. What about you?” He asked taking a drink.
    I went the honest rout, I told him about waking up in Abasi’s tent, the threats to keep me in servitude, and my efforts to free him. He took the fact that I didn’t attempt to escape harder with suspicion, until I told him about being allowed into the Fort, and learning about various oasis’, watering holes, and springs between here, and Fort Gaius. He nodded, and understood my meaning, without alerting Abasi to my intentions.

We finished our meal, and returned to Abasi’s home. There we discussed the dimensions of the salt mine, how many guards there were guarding it, and how many slaves there were working. There were only ten or twenty guards patrolling in the day time, and maybe one or two in the evening, and night. They relied on the slaves being constantly too tired to fight, and intimidation to keep them in line.

The mine itself was a partially open pit mine with smaller shafts following veins of salt under the desert sands. The entire mine had wooden fortifications around it, there was one gate leading and out of it. All barracks, and other buildings were within the fortification. The slave barracks had an extra fence around it that lead to to the mine itself. At night two guards watched the from the top of the fortification, there were also the guards barracks within the fortification on the other side of the fence. In the daytime, eight other guards managed the miners and keep an eye on people who entered, and exited. It was far from impregnable, but for slaves, and two men who were trying to free some of the slaves, it was enough to make the task daunting.

Leif and I knew what we had to do, it would have to be a night attack, or very early in the morning would be better. We both knew that when we left that night we wouldn’t be coming back not for quite some time at the very least so we made sure we packed up all of our meager belongings. We had roasted meat that would keep for a few days, a bottle of date mead, and a few blocks of goat cheese. It was not enough, not nearly enough to last even the two of us till we got back to the Empire.

GP

Name
    Captain Cain Jodin

View Profile
    When we left, we had taken the roan horse with us, I had put on my lorica, a cloak over that, and armed myself with my khopesh, and pugio.I gave Leif my gladuius, and an extra pugio, I wished I was able to get him a lorica, or some other form of armor for what we were about to attempt. I also wished for a shield, two good scutums would have been better. There were a lot of wishes I had, but they wouldn’t be fulfilled, not without a lot of hard work .

On the way to the salt mine where the majority of my cohorts were imprisoned I mulled over the best way to attack it with only two people. A thought hit me, and it made me smile, and snicker. Leif looked at me and asked “what’s on your mind?”

I grinned “I know how we’re going to get into the mine. If we’re quick about it we might even have the guards outnumbered.”

Leif canted his head and asked “How are we going to do that?”

I explained, “you said that there was only two guards patrolling the mine at night. I also know that at the end of a long night watch you don’t have all your horses pulling in tandem, you think slowly. What I have in mind is I’ll throw you onto the back of the horse and call for help. You’re going to moan, and howell. Better yet make some gods awful unnatural noises as loud as you possible can. Sound like a raving madman, as soon as one of the guards comes down to shut you up, or help me out we attack. If we’re fast enough we can kill both of the guards, and get into the slave barracks to rescue them.”

Leif chuckled replying “That’s not too bad of a plan, but why am I on the horse?”

“Easy” I said “I speak the language of P’Tah. Do you?”

Leif shook his head “Nope.”

The walk to the salt mine took most of the night and the moon had dropped below the horizon when the mine came into sight. We then rested, the same rules for a long night applied to us. There we napped until about two hours before the sun rise, then finished the trip to the mine. Before we came over the last rise Leif got up on the horse, flopped down on his stomach, and he started really wailing and moaning.

I approached the gate and shouted above Leif’s performance in the language of P’Tah “Hello!! My friend needs help!” To add to the point Leif began clucking.

The guard very tiredly questioned “what in the devil is wrong with him!?”

“He needs help!” I yelled back, and Leif howelled at the stars in a raspy howell before calling.

The second guard came to investigate, and questioned “Can you shut him up?!”

I shook my head and spread my arms apart “No! You can come down and give it a try, if you want to!”

The second guard laughed “How bout I put an arrow in him? That’ll quiet him down, and I won’t have to climb down!”

Leif gulped, and made a indescribable sound, I shouted above the mildly panicked Leif “You might shoot my horse! You don’t want to have to buy it do you?!”

The guard smiled, and threatened “How about we shoot you too and get some peace?! Go away!”

I cringed, and demanded “my friend needs help, we need your torch light! We’re not going until you help us! We need help!”

Finally one of the guards groaned, set his bow down, and started down from his post, followed closely by his counterpart. The gate opened and Leif poured on the caterwauling, he bleated like a sheep, squawked like a peacock, made unintelligible noises of every type, and the two guards came closer. Both of them, paid more attention to to Leif, and I stepped back letting them get closer. Then all of a sudden Leif stopped his squalling, snapped his head up, looked the guard at his head in the eye, and thrust the pugio into his throat. While at the same time I slashed the second guard in the throat from ear to ear. They both gurgled and choked while they tried to fight back.

Leif vaulted over the horse, and stabbed his guard in the side, place a leg behind his, and shouldered into him knocking him to the ground, before he could draw his weapon. Leif then held the guards mouth, and nose to stifle the sound of their struggle. My guard clumsily thrust his hasta, a spear meant for thrusting at me, as blood gushed from his gullette, I grabbed the spear, and twisted it, disarming it from his blood slicked hands and thrust it into his gut, black blood oozed from the guards wound. We left the horse ground tied near the gate Leif picked up the spear, I picked up the sword from the other guard, and we crept into the mine.

Leif indicated the guard barracks, and we barricaded the door. It wouldn’t last too long before someone would need to relieve themselves but it would slow the rest of the guards down after that. The gate around the slave barracks, and the mine proper was next. We had to hurry, the gate was barred from the outside, there was no lock, Leif, and I unbarred it, and slipped into the slave barracks.

The slave barracks was a squaller, littered with shovels, refuse, in one corner there was an older slave that was coughing up blood. In a salt mine, the powdered salt enters the lungs and desiccates them slowly; like salting a brisket, or a roast for storage. The slaves were worked to exhaustion, and barely fed, they slept heavily as we entered their barracks.

I found, one of the legionaries from the second cohort, a man named Decimus. He was a good soldier, capable fighter, and efficient in his tasks. I gripped his shoulder, and shook him, he woke with a start but recognised Leif, and I. It took him moments to shake off the fog of sleep. I put my finger to my lips, shushed him I said “we, going to free you, start waking the others.” He nodded, and I handed Decimus the sword, a sica used to cut around shields. I asked him “where do they keep their weapons?”

Decimus replied “in the guard barracks.” I mentally groaned, that was something I should have thought off. At about that time I heard the beginnings of the guards becoming awoken, and trying to kick down the door through the barricade Leif and I put up. “I should have thought of that. Hurry Decimus, pass the word to wake up the other legionnaires, and meet Leif, and I at the gate.” I indicated the gate separating the slaves and guards.

GP

Name
    Captain Cain Jodin

View Profile
    Leif and I began makinging a makeshift fortification outside of the gate, we toppled over a two wheeled cart, piled barrels, and what ever else we could find on top of that. It is a frightening experience, knowing that you are outnumbered by a capable group of people wanting to kill you. The guards were not bandits looking for an easy robbery, they were trained either as soldiers, or as mercenaries. Soon we would have numbers on our side in the form of slaves, half starved,unarmed, and exhausted slaves.

Decimus arrived, and reported that any one that had been in our legion, and anyone else that had been trained to fight had started waking up. I nodded, and ran through my options. “That’s great” I replied, at least we would have numbers on our side for a while “Hand out shovels, picks, maddocks, anything that can be used as a weapon. To any slave not a trained soldier have them gather rocks and get ready to throw them at the guards. Have someone start pulling the doors off their hinges. We’re going to fight in a testudo formation. Sort of.” The testudo formation was a military formation where shields, in this case barracks doors were raised above the soldiers heads to protect them from arrows, and rocks.

I heard the first splintering, of the guard barracks door, we had no time to escape, the slaves needed time to wake up and move, and if we didn’t fight, and kill all of the guards they would have hunted us down like dogs. The best, most strategic place to fight was where we were at. Decimus returned with a second legionnaire slave, I never caught his name, and i started positioning soldiers. The fortification created two narrow points of entry that could easily be defended by a small number of soldiers. I positioned Decimus, and the other legionnaire armed with the gladius I gave Leif on the right entrance, while Leif with his spear, and I with my khopesh took the left.

The guard broke through the barricade, armed and armored, two of which climbed to the top of the walls, recovered the bows left there and began shooting at us. “Get those doors out here now!” I ordered as the rest of the guards marched in tandem at us. “Hold your positions here!” I ordered, as it was supremely easier to fight a defensive battle than an offensive one. An arrow whizzed by my head, and another one embedded itself into a barrel. The doors came above my head, and I could hear the thwack of the guards arrows on the door. The guards closed in on us, and weapons clashed against weapons as the fight began in earnest.

Leif was first to draw the guards blood by thrusting his hasta into the shoulder of the nearest one. I cut his hand off with my khopesh and slashed at another on. From the sounds behind me I could hear that Decimus, and his partner were faring just as well. After the first attack the guards retreated back to reposition. I took the opportunity to press my advantage ordering “form up! Put a door in front of us, the other above! Leif, Decimus, the third legionnaire and I stepped out with a fifth unarmed legionnaire in the middle holding the door horizontally as a makeshift shield. Several other slaves and legionnaire’s held up the second door to defend against the arrows. We charged the guards under a volley of thrown stones, and crashed into the guards. The effort of five people all pushing one shield had a desired effect of bowling over the guards. When they were knocked down, they were easily dispatched, the walls were swarmed by slaves and legionnaires, and the last two guards were killed with bare hands, and stones. The fight was over in a matter of minutes, all though it felt like hours since the gates opened. But all told it only took minutes.

The feeling of fight, or flight started draining from me, it started draining from all of us. I started to laugh, followed by Leif and the rest, I was laughing uncontrollably with a very tight feeling in my stomach. Nothing was funny, unarmed slaves were killed by arrows, and blades on the wall, a lot of them were half starved, but we all started to laugh. Eventually though one, by one we all quit again, and gasped for air.

There were things that needed to be done, “Gather everyone near the the guards barracks.” I told Leif and Decimus. To two other legionnaires I ordered “Strip the guards, place all their gear in the guards barracks.” I had to prioritize, there were ten guards worth of equipment, and when everyone was gathered together there was fifty five slaves including former members of the legion I was in, fifty seven including Leif, I. When everyone was gathered together I climbed the wall, and thought about what I was going to say. “Leif, Decimus, find armor that fits.” I pointed at the legionnaires that participated in the wall charge. “You all are next, find weapons, and armor that suit you, and hurry back.” When they came back I finally had a sense of what I was going to say.

“In one hour we are leaving this mine! We will not be coming back. Raid the guards barracks, slave barracks, and all other buildings. Find as many supplies as you can, the order preference will go as follows. Legionnaires, volunteers that’ll go with us, and finally anyone not coming with us. We’re going north back to the Empire, we will be marching as hard as we can in the hopes of meeting with any Imperial patrol or legion, or getting so far into friendly territory that it will discourage any pursuit.”

One of the slaves shouted “Who put you in charge?!”

A legionnaire rebuked the slave “He just risked his life in freeing us!” The rest of the remainder of the legion shouted in support of the rebuke.

The slave backed down, and within the hour everyone in the group had at-least a blanket. There were also two other horses which I had Leif, and Decimus ride, and most had a better clothing than what they had on an hour ago. There was just enough time to make swift decisions “We’re about to go, every one who is going north with us form up outside of the mine. Everyone else, wait inside the walls until we’re out of sight and leave on your own accord. I will not take responsibility for what happens after we leave.”

Of the fifty seven of us thirty five, formed up to march back north, twenty legionnaires including Decimus, thirteen untrained slaves, Leif, and myself. Our aim was to make twenty miles by sundown, and as the first rays of the sun broke over the horizon I gave the order of “Forward march!”

GP

Name
    Captain Cain Jodin

View Profile
    Time was on our side for now, in spite of being worked to exhaustion most everyone marching north had a good night’s sleep before we got started, and there was something in their bellies, and it would be several hours still before anyone would find a delivery out of place, if not a day or two, depending when the owner of the mine showed up. But if nothing else we had several hours to get as far away from the mine as we could.

We left the mine just as the sun started coming up, and we kept moving at a pace, faster than a walk but slower than a jog, and it wasn’t until the sun was at its peak that we made our first stop. “All right, let’s take a rest for one hour” I ordered, there was a collective sigh as we sat our meager belongings down near a spring. I looked out over the group, mostly legionnaires and tried to gage their thoughts. The high that everyone had felt when we first left the mine had fallen away, and there was the look of fear, and worry. I couldn’t argue with their feelings, technically we were all fugitive slaves, a crime punishable by death by scourging, both here in the land of P’Tah, and in the Empire. Furthermore, we did just fight a battle against the land of P’Tah which was punishable by death by crucifixion. One good thing was they couldn’t execute us twice.

One of the men that volunteered to come with us was sitting on a rock rubbing his foot, and picking at it. He was dark skinned, darker than the natives of P’Tah, he was of the same people that attacked the first legion so long ago. I bore him, nor his people no grudge, “let me see your foot” I said as I nealt down to examine the soles of his feet. There was something lodged into his foot, it had festered, and the greyish black dried skin of his feet was bright red. “How long has your foot been hurting?” I asked adjusting his foot to get a better look at what was causing so much trouble.

The man smiled bright white teeth, that contrasted with his midnight black skin, and he replied “a month, and two weeks.” He grimaced as I touched the sore spot, I grimaced empathically with him “I am going to cut your foot open, and take out what’s hurting it. It’s going to hurt tremendously, but it will feel better after.” I rolled up a piece of cloth, and handed it to him “Put that in your mouth and bite down hard, it’ll help you get through this. As soon as he bit into the cloth I cut, without any empathy into the sole of his foot following the dark line of what ever was lodged into his foot. White pus, flowed from the cut followed by dark red blood. Almost immediately I could see the redness of his skin dissipating. The cut was almost two inches across his foot. What came out was a sand spike longer than the cut, and about as big around as a nail. I staunched the bleeding as best I could and wrapped his foot in gause. The man visibly relaxed like a candle melting. The pain of the wound I cut, being less than the festering sand spike already. “For the next few days you’ll ride my horse.”

The man thanked me and we drank water together as we rested, and I asked him “So, what is your name? Where do you come from?”

He gingerly touched the sole of his foot before replying “I am called Yonas, and I am from the land called Iberia. It is to the south, and west of P’Tah.”

I nodded, it was good information I had never heard the name of his land before, and now I knew it. It was the land of Iberia, the people there used hide shields, clubs, and short spears to fight with. I would ask him more question later on, but I couldn’t stay too long with any one person. I made the rounds, checking on legionnaire, and volunteer alike. Fear, and worry subsided for the moment as we rested and drank water. For me, my worries were bigger, I had to keep this rabble fed, I also had to somehow get them to start functioning as a unit. That was a must if we were going to survive the trek back to Fort Gaius without a lot of infighting, or out right mutiny.

The hour was almost up, and I rose to my feet, and told the group “drink until you can not hold another drop in your bellies, then take a piss, and drink again. Our next watering hole is nearly two days away. Fill up your water skins, and don’t drink more than half your water by this time tomorrow.” I drank my fill, and then refilled like the rest of the group, and we departed.

We were taking a longer route trying to avoid the caravan road. It provided the benefits, it avoided most patrols, and gave us the chance of encountering, wild sheep, antelope, ibex, and possibly bandits which could best add to our supplies. The drawback was that is was incredibly slow going, and avoided more established outposts, and watering holes.

There was a distinct separation of the two groups, the former slaves were clustered in the back of the formation without any rhyme or reason to their organization. In front of them were the remains of the legion. This would not do, if we were attacked like this the former slaves would be the first to be picked off, creating an opening in our meager defences. I halted the group, and paired the former slaves with a legionnaire. It was less efficient in the short term, but hopefully in the long term it would work out better for the entire group.

The day past, the group grew tired, thirsty, hungry, and grumpy. The next day the group started to grow despondent. Halting the group I called out “anyone with a bow, or sling step forward.“ Three men stepped forward, and I instructed them, “About a day’s march from here there is a date palm oasis. You three traveling light should make it there in a few hours. Go there, and if there are any animals, kill them, take the choice cuts for your selves but prepare the rest for the group. If there are any people there, stay out of sight and send a messenger back. Do not fight them.”

GP

Name
    Captain Cain Jodin

View Profile
    The thirty five of us pressed on as best we could we were tired, hungry, and worst of all thirsty. My hope was that the oasis was empty, the last thing we needed right now was a battle, it would have broken us. Each step we took was a step towards possible disaster, if it was some random patrol, and we fought them off we might win, and attract unwanted attention from the closest garrison; if it was a shepherd, things would be even worse as fugitives, and innocent bystanders don’t mix well, and the consequences of the mix would cause even more problems.

So my hope was that the oasis was empty, and the scouts I sent forward were cleaning some animals for the group. I didn’t want to consider this group a centuria yet because we weren’t cohesive. So it was a group, the oasis came into sight, and my hopes were rewarded, was an ibex hanging in a date palm, and two more sheep on the ground being cleaned by the water of the oasis. A fine haul and would give, the groupe nearly six pounds of meat per person, and the dates were ripe.

It was time to take close consideration of the group, I had been keeping an eye on them since we left the mine of course, but we haven’t had time to get an assessment of the group as a whole. I knew the legionnaires were out of practice but as soon as they gripped a sword their bodies would remember what to do. The thirteen former slaves on the other hand were a mixed bag. My first stop on this task was Yonas, he was recline against a date palm eating a handful of picked dates. As I approached him I asked him “How’s the horse?” I would ask about his foot later but it was a good start to a conversation.

He smiled with those bright white teeth, “he is strong, he misses you!” he said before popping a date into his mouth.

I crossed my legs and sat down in front of him, picked up a date and said “I found him half starved a few weeks ago. He’s grateful that I feed him. Can I ask, what did you do before you were a slave?”

Yonas chuckled “My people were enslaved by P’Tah generations ago, the royal line has been glorified hostages since they conquered my people. But there are slaves, and then there are slaves. Before I was sold to the mine I was a goat farmer, not a very good one.”

I nodded mentally “so, not all of your people fight for P’Tah?”

Yonas shook his head “No, most of us are, but some like me choose to farm goats, sheep, and wheat for my people, at a major tax by P’Tah.”

I stored the information for later, I may never use the information but one never knew and asked “Have you fought?”

Yonas shook his head “No, my family were farmers not fighters.”

I smiled and asked “Then why did you come with us?”

Yonas laughed hard enough that it made his eyes crease at the corners “Because I was not a good goat farmer, or salt miner. I thought it was time to try a new profession.”

I nodded and said “Let me see your foot.”

Yonas let me see his foot, the burning redness was gone, and the cut itself had shallowed. There was no bleeding and very little puss oozing out of the wound, “tomorrow, you walk.” I ordered “as you say my horse misses me.”

I made similar stops to all of the former slaves, and a good portion of the legionnaires asking them about themselves, their fighting history and so on. Three had been former soldiers for P’Tah, or Khart, others were farmers, bricklayers, and petty criminals in their pasts. It didn’t matter really aside from their ability to handle a weapon, their present was at this oasis, and beyond that Fort Gaius. Of the thirteen slaves, four including Yonas were from Khart, another six were from Terah, a land east of P’Tah, whose people worshiped a carpenter God, and the last three were of the land of P’Tah.

Of the thirty five people in the group, twenty three were armed with mining equipment, picks, hammers, and shovels, the rest of us had a weapons. “All right, legionnaires pair up, and spar for the next hour. Volunteers, come with me.” I ordered before gathering the eleven other legionnaires that had a weapon taken from the mine’s guards, and we started training the volunteers.

The training was very informal, we had limited weapons, and traded them amongst the volunteers. We used palm fronds as analogues for shields, sticks for swords, and spears. The lesson was an easy one, the volunteers got used to body positions, weight of the weapons, and they got practice with shielding even if they didn’t have one yet. Most importantly, the volunteers were taught on the three different kinds of wounds. “Yonas, step to the middle” I said, when he obeyed I had him raise his arms, and lift his chin in a kind of sun god like stance, and instructed. “A weapon’s purpose is to kill your enemy, the person who is trying to kill you. IF you are more efficient with this act than your enemy, your odds of survival go up.” I picked up a branch “So to kill your enemy you must know where to strike.”

I pointed the stick at Yonas heart, clavicle, and lungs “for a quick kill aim for these areas.” I would have taken the time to explain why, but it was enough to just understand where to strike. I touched Yonas’ inner thigh, sides of his neck, throat, and liver, Yonas giggled “if you can not get to a quick kill because of armor, or your enemies skill go for the slow kill. With the slow kill your enemy still has plenty of time to kill you before dying. They’ll die but it’ll take some time for them to bleed out.” Lastly I pointed to Yonas; outer thighs, biceps, armpits, heel’s and abdomen “You should aim for these last. These will cripple your enemy, it makes them less able to fight, that can make your enemy more desperate, and more dangerous. Your best strategy if you have to cripple your enemy is to cripple them, then immediately go for the quickest kill you can.”

After the informal training, I ordered half the group to roast the six pounds of meat they were issued, and the other half I ordered to pick dates. We ate, drank our fill, filled our water skins, and prepared for the next morning. Every several miles north cooled the air, but even now three days away from the mine the heat was still at the edge of sweltering.

GP

Name
    Captain Cain Jodin

View Profile
    The next morning we started before dawn, as a precaution I had sent out the two archers, and slinger as scouts. I looked at the group, there was more cohesion, the volunteers, and legionnaires had started talking with one another. Yonas had taken something of a leadership role for the volunteers and walked at their head, Decimus took the same role for the legionnaires, both followed the lead of Leif, and myself.

They told jokes, exchanged stories, best of all was when the legionnaires began giving the volunteers tips and advice. The volunteers, were a hardy sort, the years of toil had made their hands tough, and their backs strong, it would take minimal training to turn them into disciplined soldiers. This long march toward the Empire’s border had began to untie the two groups into one.

It was about mid-morning when the scouts returned, their faces red with heat, and their bodies coated in sweat. “We’ve been discovered!” the lead scout exclaimed on his approach. He gasped for air as I calmed him down, and asked “what do you mean we’ve been discovered?”

The scout took a deep breath and elaborated “About two miles from here, we found a small watering hole, we started drinking from it, when scouts from a P’Tah patrol stumbled on us. We got one of them but the other two got away.” The scout went on to explain where they had encountered the scouts, and the probability that the entire patrol would find us.

I asked one of the P’Tah volunteers “How many men to a patrol?”

The former P’Tah soldier plucked at his beard, and answered “I would say around forty, thirty nine Aegean mercenaries lead by a P’Tah captain.”

I furrowed my brow a moment “Aegean mercenaries?”

The P’Tah volunteer nodded “P’Tah has never had it’s own standing army, originally the natural barriers ensured that no one would invade us. Then when we were first invaded we had to conscript from the various cities, and higher mercenaries, over time we incorporated more, and more mercenaries into our army to the point where they have became the backbone of our military. P’Tah natives formed the officers, and the Khart are P’Tah’s line breakers, and shock troopers.”

I nodded at the information, it was more than what the Empire had, and it gave me a good idea of how P’Tah’s military worked, in fact it was a very detailed description on how P’Tah worked. I also had one immediately useful piece of information, our odds were near even. Even so, there were other factors, we were armed mostly with mining equipment, and few of us were armored. The odds were against us, but if we were able to strike on our terms, and with surprise we had a chance at winning. It was a better idea than trying to run to the point of exhaustion, and then get slaughtered by the patrol, or the entire garrison.

I looked around the area that the group had rested in, we were in the bottom of a small valley as we were trying to stay out of sight, on one side was a cliff face, no sheer but close enough to make getting to the top difficult especially when being chased by soldiers, but if we pressed our flank to it, they couldn’t overrun it. The other side of the valley was more of a gentle slope into the valley, if the patrol could be lead into the valley from the direction we want we catch them between two fires. “Start a fire” I said, “make it smoke, and let it billow. Let the patrol know where we’re at.”

I scratched my chin, and thought a moment “We’ll split up into two groups. One third will stay here I will lead them. The other two thirds will leave and find an out of sight place nearby. Yonas will take my horse, once you hear the fight start, attack the patrols rear. Hurry go now, whoever is staying eat, and rest I figure we have a short time before the patrol shows up.” There was a pit in my gut, if things went absolutely wrong we’d all be killed, if it went right, odds were the group would be smaller. With us resting, and the patrol having to trudge toward us, that would give us an advantage in stamina, and the two thirds portion flanking the patrol will give us the advantage of surprise. The sound of the patrol’s armor, shields and weapons rattling before we heard them.

“Start forming up, put our flank against the wall.” I ordered as I rubbed my hands with sand. The eleven of us put our flank against the wall in an angle, each member of the group being one step behind the last, forcing the patrol to face us with their backs against the direction the two thirds group would be coming. They topped the crest of the slope and I got a good look at soldiers that made up the patrol. The aegeans carried a spatha, a hoplon round shield, and were armored in scale circus. The captain, had an ornate helmet, but wore the same armor as the Aegeans, his shield was of a figure eight pattern, and he carried an axe.

We stood defiant as we waited for the patrol to form up, “ready weapons!” I ordered loud enough for the entire valley to hear. The patrol began to laugh at us this made me smile, there was some hubris to the patrol, and who could blame them we were outnumbered nearly three to one, we looked like a band of escaped slaves because a portion of us were, and we were poorly armed. I shouted “Charge!” and we charged, the patrol drew their swords as we started to cross the expanse between our two groups. When we were halfway across the gulf they rested their blades on the top of their shields. Then there was this heavy clanking, thumping cacophony as our mining equipment hammered their shield wall. There was the anguished cry of someone getting ran through. My gut got tight again.

There was no time to dwell on who had died, in that indeterminant pause the sound of galloping hooves broke the momentary silence, followed by the patrols own anguished screams, as Leif, Decimus, and Yonas road through the rear lines of the patrol followed by the rest of the group. Leif was the man to draw first blood skewering an Aegean with his hasta. When the larger portion of the two groups crashed into the patrol, and their lines broke I yelled “Push!”

There were sounds of violence in every direction, screams of pain, shouts of victory, the crash of blade on shield. I focused on the captain, a P’Tah, he had dark streaks under his almond eyes, and wore a blue pendant. I closed the gap between us, and in spite all of his accoutrements accepted my nonverbal challenge. He hefted his axe, a solid metal head on a shaft made of oak, and swung it over his head in an attempt to end the fight quickly.

I stepped to one side and parried the blow with my khopesh, and reposted. My strike crashed on the captain’s shield, the crook of the khopesh caught on its lip and I pulled the captain off balance.

I turned and rolled my wrist to make a downward slash at his back, but the captain pivoted on the ball of his foot, and thrusted his axe. The axe collided on my lorica, causing me to stumble back, he followed up by back handing me with his shield. The collision crashed on the shoulder pauldron of my lorica forcing my sword arm, and khopesh down. I slashed at his open leg, and he raised his foot, and his grieve took the damage.

The captain stepped back with his damaged grieve, and threw an uppercut with his axe, while at the same time he brought his shield up to defend against my next potential attack. The axe wooshed passed my head as leaned back dodging the attack. I pressed my attack by kicking up a cloud of sand, and rocks portions of the cloud sprayed his face.

When the captain raised his arm to shield his eyes I, hooked the crook of my khopesh on the lower part of his shield, and pulled, and thrust. My khopesh found purchase in the captain’s knee, and he shouted in pain bringing his axe down in a wild swing. I step around his attack, and swung at his sword arm cutting his bicep through to the bone. The captain’s axe fell to the ground, and his arm dangled dead at his side. I raised my khopesh to thrust it into his throat when he shouted “WAIT!”

GP

Name
    Captain Cain Jodin

View Profile
    The patrol captains eyes were wide, his face was turning pale, and he was out of breath as he dropped his shield and said “Wait, spare me, I’m useless in a fight now, and our patrol wasn’t looking for you. Let us go and we’ll leave you alone!” The Aegeans looked at their captain in disgust as they had a warriors philosophy of “either with your shield or on it.” Blood was flowing from his arm at an alarming rate, and I wasn’t sure if he was aware of it.

“You’re going to die soon anyway.” I told him matter of factly.

“Spare my men.” He begged.

“Why? We won this skirmish, and you don’t have many men left. Give me a reason, why were you out here?” I asked, I was patient he was dieing, and as soon as he did the Aegeans would likely rally, or at least try to.

The captain looked at his arm, and his men, “our spies in the north east reported an Imperial legion marching over the caravan road. Our patrol was sent to confirm this. We thought you were a part of the legion.” I smiled and breathed a sigh of relief, it might have been providence but I was happy. I was really happy, to be back into the safety, and company of my countrymen, a well supplied army of my country men was a dream of mine I had for a long time, ever since I woke up in Abasi’s tent.

“Captain,” I said “I will spare your men on one condition, and honestly you don’t have room to negotiate. If your men surrender their armor, shields, and weapons, they’ll be free to go.” He nodded, and grunted the order. The Aegeans were reluctant to do it but eventually my men were properly armored. There were five Aegeans, and the P’Tah captain with a tourniquet around his arm left out of the forty men that attacked us. Then I took a look at my men.

In war, people die, it doesn’t matter rather the war is for expansion of the empire, to defend one’s homeland, or for the glory of the Emperor people die. It is a horrible, terrible fact, but people die, and their unfortunate deaths are necessary, not for the Emperor, but for the citizens of the Empire, and not for a General, but for the man on your left, and right, It is as simple as that, or at least it is for me. The politicians are the ones that made war not simple.

Of the thirty five men that left the mine, there were twenty seven that were left. When we were finished burying our dead we left. We now had limited time, the Aegeans would report back to their garrison, and that would bring the entire three thousand Aegean mercenaries, five hundred Khart warriors, and five hundred P’Tah cavalry men our way and toward the Imperial Legion, and us.

Time was no longer on our side, we had a head start and a long one but that would close soon. Our one boon was that the Imperial Legion was heading toward us. I urged the group on to something closer to a forced march. We took to the caravan road keeping out of sight, and out of mind was no longer going to work. We now had to make every minute count, the hours ticked away. That night, we made more distance than we had any other day since we left the mine. I wondered how close the Legion was, I also worried about how close the P’Tah forces were.

That night I saw the glow of campfires in the direction that the Legion was coming from. I breathed a sigh of relief. After the kind of constant nagging worry that I was feeling all through the march from the salt mine I actually felt like a heavy load was lifted off his shoulders. I started cleaning my armor by fire light. I had no lamp oil so I used sad to polish the plates of my lorica segmentata to a burnished version of polished steel.

I was expecting a Legion scouting party to show up that evening, and sure enough the light of our own fires attracted the attention of such a scouting party. Soon after that our group was approached by a patrol of Legionnaires. We did not draw our weapons, in fact most of us sat around the camp fires when the Centurion leading the patrol entered our camp, and asked “Who’s in charge here?”

I stood up and replied “I am, I’m Lucas Victus, third centuria, fourth cohort, first legion to retake Fort Commodus”

The Centurion looked surprised at my introduction, he could tell that I was an Imperial citizen or a least from imperial stock. My armor still fit me and with it maintained I looked like a soldier, which further supported the fact that I was a soldier. He grasped my forearm, greeted me like a comrade, and introduced himself as Pontius. After the pleasantries I said “I need to speak with your general as soon a possible.”

Pontius blinked a few times, and asked “what for?”

“Your legion is about to march into an ambush” I said without beating around the bush.

The centurion canted his head, and asked “How do you know this?”

I explained in a short version the circumstances over my groups previous battle, the explanation the P’Tah captain gave me, and how my group moved to intercept the legion. The Centurion gave orders to his men, “Patrol! Escort Lucas’ men to the Legion's camp. I will take Lucas, and his second to speak with the General on horseback.” I on my roan horse, Leif on the dunn he took from the mine galloped to the Legion’s camp.

The camp, was fortified, walls, and barricades had been made by earthworks, that was surrounded by a ditch. Inside tents were in even rows, on either side of a waste ditch, which lead out of the camp. At the far endo the the uniform rows of tents was a larger tent belonging to the General on the left of that was where the horses were stabled, on the right was another larger tent. For all of its size the imperial camp did not waste an inch of space. As soon as the horses were stabled I was directed into the General’s tent and told to wait there.

I looked about the General’s tent, it was weather worn, and adorned with very few accoutrements, a cot in one corner, a folding desk for the obscene amount of paperwork a general had to put up with, and an armor rack. The generals lorica was battle worn, and weathered, and aside from a trunk there was little else. I started to compare this general’s belongings to General Caius’ whose belongings, a lot of frivolous things, too many decorations, and there was always the feeling of theatrics, or costume to them.

The flap of the tent opened, and the General stepped in, and asked “so, I’m marching the Legion into a trap?”

I snapped to attention, and snapped him a salute, and sized him up, he was maybe an inch taller than I was, but carried himself as if he were fifteen feet tall. His hair was dark brown, with red tinges streaking through, on his left arm he wore an intricate tattoo made of the same blue as Leif’s people. He had a broad chest, and the look of battle hardened, but not battle worn.

“General sir! Yes you are.” He indicated a log turned upright, and ordered “sit, tell me about this ambush. Where it’s going to be, how many men in the ambush, and most importantly how do you know about it” as he handed me a map of the region.

I sat down, gave an approximate position on the map where I believed an ambush would be met, and gave me explanation. “General sir, I believe that an ambush will be encountered here. This is the approximate location where my legion was ambushed, and it is within a few days march from Fort Commodus. Further as places to ambush a legion, it’s perfect bottle necking us into narrow ranks, and making any maneuver difficult. Lastly the sun passes in such a way that an ambush in the late evening will have the legion fighting the sun.”

I paused letting the General absorb the information before continuing “Rather or not there is an ambush there, do understand that an attack is coming, and the legions attack is known by spies. The force that will attack you, will be one of two equaling forces garrisoned at Fort Commodus. The force will consist of three thousand Aegean mercenaries, five hundred Khart warriors, and five hundred P’Tah cavalry men. If there is a P’Tah legat he’ll be in a war chariot. The attack will be initiated in stages. First the Khart warriors will charge the ranks, flanking either side of the cohorts, before hitting the middle, they have been known to spit poison into their enemies eyes, blinding them. They are armed with a club made of a hardwood handle, and stone head, and a strange shield made of cowhide, and bent hardwood.”

I took a breath once again letting the General take in what I had said, once he had indicated that he was ready for more information I continued “once the Khart have softened up the legion, the Aegean’s will commence the attack in full force, making every effort to break through our flank, or if the Khart manage to soften up a hole in the cohort. Will try to push through there, and break down our flank. They’re armed with scaled cuirass, hoplon, and a spatha, their rear ranks are armed with bows as well, and I should mention right now most of my men are now armed in a similar fashion.”

The General nodded making a special note, before letting me press on “Finally, when the legion is committed, the cavalry will attack its flank. During all this, chariots will rain arrows and spears into the ranks on the move.The P’Tah forces are normally armed in either a leather or scaled cuirass, a figure eight shield, and either an axe or a khopesh, a sword like this” I withdrew my khopesh, and let the General inspect it. After the general wrote all of the information down, and returned my sword he asked “Now how have you came upon all of this information?”

I nodded and answered “That is a fair question, for quite sometime, after The First Legion was slaughtered by the P’Tah ambush I was a slave to a shepherd, and had often visited Fort Commodus as part of the duties as a slave. I had the chance to ask questions, with the forts officials, garrison captains, and the soldiers. I sometimes got answers, I sometimes got kicked. Either way no one cares about a slave, so I was able to gain a lot of information to use one day.”

The General stood up and said “Thank you, sir. You, and your men can return to the Empire with your heads held high.” The General was about to let me out of the tent when I said “General Sir. Don’t send me away.”

He paused and looked at me with a strange combination of both anger, and amusement at my defiance, and asked “Why?” He indulged me.

I responded “I swore an oath, that I would retake Fort Commodus, and serve the Empire. If I return to the Empire without doing so I will have failed my duty.”

The General’s features changed to something more amiable he asked “What’s your name?” remaining standing.

“I’m Lucas Victus, third centuria, fourth cohort, first legion to retake Fort Commodus.” He grabbed my forearm in greeting “I am General Cicero Virilus Bracca. Leader of the Second Legion to retake Fort Commodus, and any man with that kind of loyalty, and knowledge about the area would be a valuable asset to the Legion. How many me have you been leading?”

I answered “Twenty six, eighteen legionnaires, seven volunteers who were slaves, and my friend. There were thirty four when I left the mine.”

The General nodded and said “Your men are welcome to my camp tonight, and I don’t mind attaching you and your men to my legion. We’ll get them taken care of in the morning.” With that he opened the tent flap, and we stepped out into the camp in time to see my men, and the patrol return.
    Last edited by jdd2035; 11-26-2017 at 12:04 PM.

GP

Name
    Captain Cain Jodin

View Profile
    The group that I lead began to slowly integrate with the Legion; the former Legionnaires found themselves at home inside the camp, the volunteers shied away from the main group, but ate at the food offered near the camp fires. They didn’t have tents, but they were behind a wall, the group was protected better than they have for a very long time. I could actually relax, I was invited to a camp fire where beef was being roasted, and a bottle of wine, real wine made of grapes was being passed around.

General Cicero was was sitting at the fire, he was the one passing around bottles, in spite of his position as a general was the kind that was respected by his soldiers. He involved himself in their lives, he didn’t remain separated, he was one of them. Again I had to contrast this by General Caius, who stayed in his tent remaining attended by the few servants that he brought along with him, having remained separated from his soldiers. General Caius’ soldiers had no respect from his men, and they only followed him out of fear of punishment.

The next morning, after the camp was broke down, and before the Legion began its march General called the Legion to attention. “As you may know, we had guests arrive last night. They are our compatriots, most of them former Legionnaires from the first Legion to retake Fort Commodus. They have knowledge of the area, and experience fighting, the forces we will meet. I have decided to attach them, to the Legion as an auxilia, under the command of Centurion Lucas Victus step forward.”

Now that caught me off guard, I hadn’t thought myself as anything more than a soldier trying to accomplish a task. After some encouragement, I stepped to the front of the legion, where General Cicero was standing. Once arrived he said loud enough for all to hear “Under the authority given to me by the Emperor Atticus the Third I am promoting you to Centurion Auxilia. Your post will be a part of the second cohort, and your command will consist of the men you brought into the camp, and fifty more men I will assign to you.”

I was given a galea, that was crested front to back with red horsehair, which was tailed long enough to touch the top of my shoulder blades, this was notable as a typical legionnaires galea had no crest. I was also given a red tunic, red tunics in the Imperial Legion indicated leadership roles.

I was given time to change into the new uniform before the Legion marched toward Fort Commodus. When I stepped back in front of the Legion they cheered, and General Cicero indicated my full centura. Twenty six men I rescued from the mine, that after the trip from the mine, nightly training, and the skirmish with the P’Tah patrol had became loyal to me. The rest were men loyal to General Caius, and would follow my lead because they were told to. As I approached my horse Leif complimented “you look good in red” I thanked him and mounted up. Not long after General Cicero ordered the march
    to begin.

As we marched back toward Fort Commodus the General made his rounds, keeping the Legion in order, and keeping tabs on his men through the various centurions. Slowing his horse near mine he asked “So, what are your thoughts?”

I raised my eyebrow and answered “currently, I am thinking that my entire second rank should be armed with hasta as soon as they can.”

The General canted his head and asked “for what purpose?”

I worked the horse to match The General’s pace and answered “First, it’s a nasty surprise for enemy cavalry. Second the hasta can bypass the first rank, and attack the enemy along with the first rank.”

General Cicero nodded “you being a Centurion Auxilia have some freedom on how you run your centuria. Your strategy is sound, though it may hamper your maneuverability in tighter spaces. I’m going to allow it, if it proves ineffective I’ll change it however.”

I nodded in understanding, and the General asked “what are your thoughts about General Caius? You’ve had time to think about his actions.”

I wiped sweat from below my galea, I had forgotten how hot those things could get, and looked at the General “speaking honestly General Sir, he was an idiot, and a coward. He ordered a forced march every day guaranteeing our exhaustion when we were ambushed. When the ambush did happen, he froze, and the tribunes, and centurions had to take command losing any cohesion as a large unit. Finally when our lines broke, General Caius was the first to run, he didn’t call a retreat he ran away from the battle, sword, and shield dropped in the sand. The P’Tah cavalry caught up to him in short order, and killed him outright, he left the tribunes, and centurions to be crucified.”

General Cicero’s face paled, and said “That is very unfortunate, I’m not sure if you know this but General Caius was the Emperor’s son, and after the first legion was declared lost he ordered the formation of the second legion.”

I nodded but asked “did he know that his son was killed?”

The General shook his head “I do not know, but I believe he suspected.”

I simply replied “The Emperor has resources every where, I would not doubt that he knows about his son already.”

General Cicero nodded in agreement “I agree. I have to check up on the other cohorts but is there anything else your centuria may need?”

I shook my head to the negative, and he galloped his horse off to the next tribune.

The Legion marched on, the places were familiar from the first time a legion I was in passed them. I also knew the area by maps I studied, and talks I had with merchants during my time as a slave to Abasi. The sun rose to its apex, and the legion was showing signs of heat stress. I loped my horse to the General and said “General sir, may I suggest marching the Legion to a cave spring, it’s about four miles off of the caravan road, known by fugitives, thieves, and bandits.”

The General nodded “how certain are you of this spring?”

“Quite certain” I replied, I was confident in the information I had, but never had been there myself.

The General smiled and said “You and your men lead the way then.”

Within an hour, and a half I had lead the legion to a rock formation where a spring ran, and pulled in a rocky basin. It was dotted with a hearty scrub, a few date palms, and a small grove of fig trees. The General patted me on my back, my lorica making a soft clank as he did “Well done Centurion.” I was impressed by his ability to compartmentalize, he was friend, and battle brother to his men at night, around a campfire, or in a tavern, but when the Legion was on the march, in battle, training, or in any formal occasion he made sure to keep the comradery in check.

The Legion drank their fill, splashed cool water on their heads, they ate the dates, and figs though they were passed season. The General had us rest for an hour, refilling our water skins, casks, and barrels of water. Once we were cooled off, and rested we returned to our march toward Fort Commodus.

Marching a legion isn’t like traveling on your own, or even a large group. It takes time to get one moving, get one to stop, orders take time. A legion can stretch for nearly a mile if not properly managed, and then there were nearly a hundred men immune to combat, the stable masters, cooks, and medics. What may take a few hours for a single person to accomplish, it could take a legion a day, marching a great distance was the exception. It was the reason why the going was slow for the legion, at the rate we were marching, it was going to take two weeks to reach the fort we were supposed to retake.