Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

EXP: 5,071, Level: 3
    Level completed: 2%, EXP required for next Level: 3,929
    Level completed: 2%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,929

GP

Name
    Sketch
    Sketch could tell something was bothering Nevin, he couldn't put his finger on it. He mused on what could be the problem between spoonfuls. Nevin sat in the seat opposite to him and munched on a piece of toast as his pretty blackbird made a joyful noise on his shoulder. "So, whose you're friend Nevin? I noticed it in your shop, it seems extremely tame, and I didn't take you for being a pet person. Gosh it's pretty..." Sketch mused over the bird a little bit.

Sketch allowed his thoughts to drift away from the bird for a while as he contemplated other thoughts, "Anyway Nevin, I was thinking about the other topic we discussed last night, the weapon? I was thinking about it, even if we made it, I haven't the foggiest idea of how to properly fight, armed or otherwise. I was wondering if you had any thoughts or connections to a proper fighting instructor. The last thing I'd need is a powerful shape changing weapon, and yet have no idea on how to use it, and accidentally hurting myself in the middle of a fight."

The thought of using the strange weapon with unknown mutagenic properties should have worried Sketch on a deeper level than just sheer curiosity. It felt like nothing could drag him down from the high he was on. Sketch mused he needed more sleep that he thought he did. He wondered if he was going to be on a manic high like this every time he used Nevin's potion, it may take some balancing to even his moods out, as he wasn't sure that he wasn't going to hit an even deeper depression when the effects of the sleep potion wore off.

That was a shocking thought... Sketch wasn't normally a bright and cheery fellow on the best of times... what would he be like if he hit a depressive state? "Uh Nevin... you don't think that this high I'm feeling is going to cause an imbalance in my moods right? You wouldn't think that I may get into a slight depression once this fades off do you? I'm not certain I'd be the best person to wield nightmarish minions if I was in an extremely bad mood... Not that I think it would happen after one time, but maybe we should think about balancing out the moods with the next batch of potion. Just a thought."

EXP: 61,139, Level: 10
    Level completed: 65%, EXP required for next Level: 3,861
    Level completed: 65%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,861

GP

Name
    Nevin Aimaparapoiitis
    Race
    Human (Godling)
    Nevin reached up and stroked down Aphrael's crest, the black and red bird trilling happily as he petted her. Nevin's dark eyes flicked back to Sketch, raising and dropping one shoulder slightly. "I think there might be someone who could help us, yes. I want informed about her by a good friend of mine, so I trust the information. We will have to travel to the main isle to find her though. And I would suggest, until you get more comfortable with physical, personal combat, to just stick with one weapon, or maybe two at most. That will give you options and also the familiarity you'd need. Leave the multi-changing for later. Oh. This lovely girl is Aphrael. She found me by the fact that our magics apparently synced, so she came looking for me. She is... A bright spot, despite her coloration. And her voice is quite beautiful." Aphrael trilled and presented at Nevin's hair, sorting it with her beak as she sang her piping flute song into the air.

Nevin finished off the slice of toast and slowly sipped on his coffee. The issue that Sketch had brought up was something he had considered, and actually discarded as he thought about it now. He shook his head once, wincing as his head protested the action.

"No, no. The medicine you took is not in any way a mood changer. Your current state is actually likely the result of your body finally receiving the chemicals that are released during your sleep, or possibly the abatement of chemicals that have been building up as you were forced to stay awake or near so for a prolonged period of time. Once you get a fully normalized sleep schedule and are getting regular nights of sleep, you won't be experiencing this. And you aren't likely to have a depressed state from this, just have the high wear off and leave you in a more natural state." Nevin slowly drained his coffee in one long chain of swallow, and wiped his mouth with the back of his arm.

GP

Name
    Sketch
    Sketch nodded thoughtfully at the man, he knew his practice well. The thought of a trainer was perfect. Everything that Nevin said made sense, Sketch figured that one weapon would be a good start, and a sickle or scythe would be perfect to start. "The trainer sounds perfect, are they a particularly good fighter? I hope I don't make myself look bad."

Sketch though about Nevin and Aphrael, the pair seemed to be in sync, which made Sketch happy, and a lot less worried for Nevin. He was happy that Nevin had a girl in his life, even if it was a bird. Seeing the look on Nevin's face brightened up Sketch's mood even more. "Nevin my friend, set up the meeting with this trainer, I'm excited to get started in learning the basics of combat."

The thought of learning how to fight properly was exciting for Sketch, it wouldn't be him cowering with a stick against wolves any longer, that didn't turn out well last time for him, he'd fallen off a rock and sliced his forehead open. The memory of that fight made his face turn a bright red in humiliation. He almost certainly was going to make a fool out of himself if it was personal combat. Sketch let out a deep sigh and continued to eat his fifth helping of bacon.

Sketch wondered if this trainer could help him coordinate fighting with one of his Grym, he wasn't sure how hard it would be to fight alongside a living nightmare. He wished that Nevin had been more specific about what the trainer was like, and what they were capable of, so he had a better idea of what he would be interested in trying to learn. He wasn't even sure that this trainer could teach him how to use either of the weapons he was interested in, seeing as how they were basically farm equipment, though he guessed that if he could learn anything at all about fighting, then it would be a net gain over all.
    Last edited by The Crooked Knight; 10-19-2017 at 10:39 PM.

GP

Name
    Nevin Aimaparapoiitis
    Race
    Human (Godling)
    "From what I know, she's a skilled fighter. But as I said, we'll need to travel to Corone proper to meet with her. So, before then, let's make sure we get to the mines and gather the metal for our weapons. So." The alchemist stood up, stretching out his back from the chair and popping his spine. "Let's prepare for the mining trip - I'm certainly not ready to head into the mines, and I don't think you are either. So, let's meet back here in half an hour or so - you'll want to acquire a pick or pickaxe, and a large pouch to carry ore. I'll do the same."

He bowed, and set a few coins on the table. He knew Sketch had offered to pay, but with how much the orator had eaten his bill would be substantial enough without adding Nevin's tally to it. Aphrael trilled a parting flute set as Nevin walked off, heading towards his shop. He intended on getting the stimulants he so desperately needed, as without them he might just pass out while they were working.

GP

Name
    Sketch
    Sketch met Nevin outside the mines that stonehaven was known for. Nevin had ran off to grab some supplies, maybe some more coffee, the poor man needed it. Sketch had grabbed a pick axe and several sacks to hold ore in. He'd come up with an idea in his manic revelry for gathering the material that Nevin would need, summoning a specific type of Grym to help out with the mining.

He wasn't sure that the miners would be 100% on board with letting random people come in and mining the ore without some sort of authorization. Sketch was interested in seeing how Nevin was going to make this weapon, and he was excited to start wielding it.

The idea of traveling to Corone was interesting, he was having a good time in Scara Brae, yet he always liked traveling. He wasn't sure where Nevin had been, but it would be an interesting trip if Nevin was going to go with him. He enjoyed the young man's company, and if anything dangerous happened, he'd feel better if they traveled together.

Sketch waited until the sun was past the midway point for Nevin, his manic high settling as the day passed on. He'd brought some food for the two of them while they were down there, and spoke to the foreman of the mine, getting his permission to enter and mine, in exchange for a small fee which Sketch paid. Everything was all set for their journey.

GP

Name
    Nevin Aimaparapoiitis
    Race
    Human (Godling)
    Nevin felt.. alive again. He had scrounged together a fairly powerful concoction of stimulants to take when he got back to his shop, and downed it, wincing at the acrid/bitter tang that washed down his mouth. Worse, he couldn't drink anything else to banish the vile flavor, as even water taken right now would dilute the efficacy of the brew, and if he was going down into the mines he would need every inch of his wits about him. It wasn't often that the redhead went down into a cave system - he normally preferred his explorations to take place somewhere he could see the sky. But - there were things that needed to happen in the mines, and he had promised Sketch that he would accompany the orator into the tunnels. So he collected his bag, acquired a pickaxe from a bemused general store owner - who had been highly amused at the fact that the scrawny Alchemist was going into the mines - and headed to the mine site.

The place was still a bit desolate from the Goblin attack, even though it had been a few days since the assault, and the mines had quickly reopened. The mines were the village's primary source of income, its lifeblood, and something like a few people dying in a Goblin raid could not keep the mines closed for long. By the time he got there, the midday sun was blazing high overhead, beating down on the environment as Nevin trudged into sight of the mine opening. Sketch was there, talking amicably with the mine foreman, and when the orator saw the Alchemist he cheerily waved the redhead over. Nevin could tell as he approached that some of the sheer excessive energy that had been pervading the man had faded by now, but he didn't seem to be having a chemical crash. Good.

Nevin made sure the two of them had hydrating drinks - water skins that he had dosed with a few herbs to replenish their stamina as they worked - and led the way into the mines. The first task would be to find veins to work from - veins that hadn't already been played out by the other, actually professional miners. Thankfully they had many tunnels that they had built to get the really, really profitable stuff and the large veins, leaving smaller veins often ignored in their rush for the high value things. The Alchemist did feel a bit... off as they walked through the mine shafts - it was the first time he'd been in a tight, enclosed space like this in a long, long time, and he found he didn't much care for it. Still, he would bear it for now. Finding some Damascus, iron and Plynt for their weapons would be immensely valuable, so he could just suck it up for now.

GP

Name
    Sketch
    Sketch and Nevin made it down into the deeper parts of the mine, the foreman had given some idea of where some smaller veins could be found, at least for some of the more base metals. After half an hour, the pair had walked past the fixed lights and had lit their own lanterns. The light revealed less of the wall than they'd hoped, neither one knew much about how to mine metal, Sketch thought that maybe it was time to unleash his Grym. "Hold on a second Nevin, allow me to call in an expert." Sketch intoned his dark voice and called out from the nightmarish place that the Grym called home, and summoned a large-muscled bearded being with a large pointed hat and a giant metal pickaxe.

"This is Grumpy, he happens to an expert miner, and I think he'll know where we should go, he can sense out where metal is by instinct. He's really a very intelligent Grym." Grumpy promptly picked up a nearby rock and put it in his mouth, chewed it up and swallowed it with a loud gulp. "Apparently he also eats rocks. So... there's that," Sketch said. "Just tell him what we're looking for and he can show us the way and help us mine it out. Don't think of him as a typical Althanean dwarf, he's a fairytale creature."

The pair directed the dwarf to find a source of iron to start with, the dwarf lifted its large, bulbous nose in the air and began to sniff. it slowly trudged down the hall, the lack of light apparently not hampering its movement. after a few minutes, the Grym stopped, turned to the wall, wrapped a knuckle on the stone, and swung it's axe in a powerful stroke that shattered the rock wall.

After a few of the large blows, Grumpy took more delicate swings that took of small chunks of the raw rock, eventually a glint of metal showed in the lantern light. Sketch took a small magnet he brought for this occasion, and brought it to the vein, it stuck. it was iron. Sketch began to direct the large Grym to help him clear it, and the pair uncovered about a foot of the ore in the wall.

Sketch stood proudly as he looked at Nevin with his pickaxe clutched in his hand. Grumpy picked up another rock and put it in his mouth.
    Last edited by The Crooked Knight; 10-20-2017 at 10:03 PM.

GP

Name
    Nevin Aimaparapoiitis
    Race
    Human (Godling)
    So, the Grym that Sketch could summon were more than just the nightmarish abominations that puppeted dead flesh like Nevin had seen before. That was actually greatly reassuring to the man - if the only way that the orator could summon his ...minions was to have corpses on the ground, then that was a problem. But no, he could call forth free standing beings, which settled that problem. The Alchemist doubted Sketch even realized that this was the first non-corpse summon that Nevin remembered seeing. If he had summoned one back in the tavern when he was explaining it, Nevin couldn't remember.

And then the thing ate a rock. Nevin felt a throb at the back of his head as he stared at the happily chewing creature. That shouldn't have been - why was that possible? If Sketch was custom-creating his summoned Grym, then it would stand to reason that they would not have any quirks that he didn't know about - or that they should not have the same desires as a normal creature, which meant no need for sustenance. So then why was this thing eating a rock as it led them through the tunnels? Was Sketch incorrect in his presumption about his power? Were even his 'on the fly' summoned Grym actually already existing creatures and he was just pulling them from a mildly different source than the feral ones? Was he acting as a gateway for something else to come to their world?

That was absurd. It's not like there was some master intelligence plotting away somewhere using the Orator to introduce his creations to the world. Nevin firmly shoved his bogglement out of his mind, refusing to bring it up to the other man. If it ever became a problem, then Nevin would confront Sketch about it -but for now, there was no reason to think anything malicious was going on. Then the two reached a spot where the 'dwarf' Grym had stopped and started going after the wall, and thoughts about the mechanics of the summoned beings was pushed from Nevin's mind. They had found one of the ores they would need - and they'd likely need three at the very least -and so they were making progress.

It was a little amusing how Sketch turned towards Nevin after the two of them had cleared away the rock around some of the iron ore. It was almost like someone showing off a proud little accomplishment, a child to be more precise. Nevin nodded to him. "Excellent work. Hopefully there is enough here to smelt with your Damascus when we find that ore. Little Dwarf, can you identify that metal ore, Damascus?" Nevin didn't know if Damascus was a raw material wherever the Grym came from like it was here, but he hoped it was or that the creature could innately find it.

GP

Name
    Sketch
    The dwarf cocked it's head at Nevin's question, a large bulbous finger perched on it's lips in heavy thought. Grumpy then lifted it's huge nose in the air and gave loud long snorts as it sniffed the air for several seconds. It then began is slow lumbering fair on it's too short legs, the walk was comical. It made its way back to the well lit corridor, stopped and sniffed the air again with its bulbous nose, and chose a different tunnel.

After another 20 minutes of walking and climbing, the Grym stopped, took his pick and tapped lightly on the wall. As a small rock broke off, he caught it and popped it in his mouth. Deciding that the flavor was right, he took his axe and began to excavate, the large strikes causing a loud echo in the mines as the Dwarf sailed through the rock, pebbles and dust blanketing the two men as it worked.

Eventually the dwarf stopped, walked over to the wall, sniffed it and jumped up in excitement. It made loud grunts as it delicately removed the earth covering the grey metal that the pair had asked it to seek out. As the vein was being cleaned and transferred to the bags that they'd brought, the dwarf would pick up a rock and put it in its mouth.

After Grumpy finished mining the Damascus, Sketch addressed the Grym, "Okay Grumpy, now the last one we need today is a green metal called "Plynth". It's a metal that can hold liquid, can you find any around here?" Grumpy sniffed the air once more, and continued down the tunnel they were already in.

The short bearded man trudged it's way to a wall that was 500 feet away from where they found the Damascus, and this time, without using his pick, began to dig with his hands. After he'd dig for an hour or so, Nevin and Sketch could see a glint of green in the lantern light. As the dwarf exposed more and more of the green metal, Sketch attempted to use his pick to knock it out of the wall. Grumpy grabbed the pick before it could hit the metal and shook his head slightly.

The dwarf used his bare hands to extract the metal from the wall and put it into the bag. After everything had been said and done, the trio had a considerable amount of ore to bring to the surface, Sketch had Grumpy take the brunt of the weight, while Nevin and himself carried all of the equipment.

GP

Name
    Nevin Aimaparapoiitis
    Race
    Human (Godling)
    Nevin nodded slightly as the dwarf prevented the story-teller from striking the Plynt with his pickaxe. When he had started looking up the useful (for him) metal, the Alchemist had found that it caught fire very easily, and burned away rapidly when it burned. While using the pick might not have caused the Plynt to burst into flames, it was better safe than sorry. But it was strange that the dwarf could dig through the rock with its bare hands - or that it had known about that despite looking confused at first. It was like the thing was learning about the world while it was here... Nevin shook off his thoughts, that wasn't something to worry about for right now.

The two Humans - at least Nevin thought that Sketch was a Human, even if he was a little hesitant about using that appellation on himself - carried the tools up to the surface - though Nevin did take the bags of ore when they reached the top levels of the mines, and nudged Sketch, nodding his head towards the dwarf. Sketch stared at him blankly for a moment, then looked to the Grym he had summoned (invited over) and he seemed to realize the issue, and with a laugh he waved his hand, dismissing the shadowy entity back to wherever it came from. Even though Sketch trusted that he could keep the Grym under control, Nevin felt better now that the mysterious entity was gone.

So back towards the town the two went - with the alchemist explaining to the other man about the smithy that he was working at as an apprentice. The idea was to go there and smelt the raw ore that they had collected down into workable ingots at the smithy, and then the two of them could retreat somewhere to get lunch and work on designs for their weapons. Nevin already had a few ideas for his own weapon - working off of the idea for his whip, he was already thinking of ways to actually make it workable.

Llukrath, the Elven smith, was more than happy to work with the ore that two men brought to him. Nevin was even able to negotiate the others, the proper smiths, doing the work of smelting away the slag rock and making the ingots for them, in exchange for some of the surplus metal that they had brought back. While they began to work, the redhead lead the other man over to a small table, and after a moment of searching found some sheafs of paper, and sticks of graphite. He sat down and looked towards Sketch, raising one eyebrow as he gestured to another empty seat.

"Well. Let's get to work shall we? I plan on a whip as my own weapon, what about yourself? Still keen to try the mutable weapon, or have you managed to decide on a particular one?"