GP

Name
    Ashla Rose Icebreaker
    Race
    Human/Elf Hybrid

View Profile

Hyperfocus issues in writing

Ello,

I've had this issue ever since I first started writing ever and still do. For those of you who haven't guessed or something, I have the inattentive variant of ADHD. Whenever I write, I have to be "hyperfocused." While having to concentrate to get any writing done with zero outside distractions or stimuli is relatable to just about everyone, there's several other odd things I've noticed in my writing that others have also pointed out.

1.) I only write one major "thing" at a time. I either only find myself strictly focusing on dialogue, characters' inner thoughts, or setting. A complaint I saw several people point out in the workshop for The Mountain and the Trial was that I focused too much on setting for the first half, then all but completely ditched setting during the emotional character development parts of the thread. I've tried forcing myself to juggle writing multiple things at once, but I always feel like I fail. It's so frustrating that I'll completely abandon entire threads and stories because the zero balance seems so horrible!
    2.) Run on sentences and sentence fragments are common. I remember a judge distinctively saying that my sentences seem to shift entirely, and that I'll start the sentence one way and end it completely differently. Numerous others have pointed out in almost every thread I complete to look out for run on's and fragments. I don't know if it's my lack of concentration and rapidly jumping around train of thought doing this or what; but it could very well be...

Telling me that I just can't be a good writer because of the ADHD is just stereotypical nonsense in my opinion. Apparently aspies lack imagination too, but my imagination is on steroids! Writing is one of the few passions of mine and I'm not giving it up! When I don't feel pressured, which in all honesty I kinda always do on this site, I enjoy writing very much. It's about time I tried tackling the issues brought up above, but none of the writing tip sites or videos ever seem to help me, so... Help?
    Last edited by Ashla; 10-18-2017 at 02:23 PM.

"I did what I had to do! Nobody was taking care of these murderers, slavers, robbers! The Rangers weren’t! The Bladesingers weren’t! Somebody had to do something! So I did. And I will extract justice onto every criminal in the world until there is only the good guys. I tried using mercy and compassion. Those don’t work. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and I will take every measure necessary to save the world.” ~ Ashla Icebreaker.

Legend

EXP: 127,650, Level: 15
    Level completed: 55%, EXP required for next Level: 7,350
    Level completed: 55%,
    EXP required for next Level: 7,350

GP

Name
    Philomel van der Aart (+ Veridian)
    Race
    Faun (+ Fox/Earth Spirit)

View Profile
    Hi Ashla

Thanks for being so open and honest. I know it can be really hard to talk about these things. I've got mental health issues and find it even hard to talk to my counsellor! You're really brave and I appreciate letting us know.

I'll take all this in mind when I next judge a thread by yourself. I think you are a good writer, genuinely.

Phi.

I'm Asking you Icely

EXP: 33,893, Level: 7
    Level completed: 87%, EXP required for next Level: 1,107
    Level completed: 87%,
    EXP required for next Level: 1,107

GP

Name
    Ashla Rose Icebreaker
    Race
    Human/Elf Hybrid

View Profile
    Thank you, Philomel! I appreciate it

Do you have any suggestions on tackling these writing errors? I've tried being more organized and setting up planners, charts, etc. for my solo threads. I really want to make my writing style smoother xD

"I did what I had to do! Nobody was taking care of these murderers, slavers, robbers! The Rangers weren’t! The Bladesingers weren’t! Somebody had to do something! So I did. And I will extract justice onto every criminal in the world until there is only the good guys. I tried using mercy and compassion. Those don’t work. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and I will take every measure necessary to save the world.” ~ Ashla Icebreaker.

EXP: 61,139, Level: 10
    Level completed: 65%, EXP required for next Level: 3,861
    Level completed: 65%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,861

GP

Name
    Nevin Aimaparapoiitis
    Race
    Human (Godling)
    One thing you might try considering is possibly making your posts shorter? I haven't read any of yours recently, but if you've noticed that you tend to focus on one topic at a time, work with that instead of trying to work against it.
    Or, consider writing posts in segments, maybe with bullet points to help you out. Figure out what the overall theme of the post/story will be, then break it down and tackle it in sections? I don't do well when trying to set scene alongside character introspection, so I avoid doing both at the same time, and just combine them into the same post before putting it up.

As for tackling run on sentences and sentence fragments - might try restricting sentences and make sure you only have one agent (acting character), one recipient, and one action? This can be expanded up towards two, but if you go more than two - especially in the case of agents - things get messy. Hope this helps, even if just a little bit.

Legend

EXP: 59,606, Level: 10
    Level completed: 51%, EXP required for next Level: 5,394
    Level completed: 51%,
    EXP required for next Level: 5,394

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Shorter posts might work. And try using shorter sentences in general, although you said you find that difficult. I would definitely say one thread at a time might be a good place to start, especially for non-combat ones.

I'll be very happy to work with you on a thread or help on your threads to look at where you can maybe break up sentences more. That can definitely be done with counting the amount of clauses. Maybe restricting them as Nev says to two or three a sentences?

-Phi-
    Crows: Old nursery rhyme "One for sorrow, Two for mirth, Three for a funeral, Four for birth, Five for heaven, Six for hell, Seven for the devil, his own self."

The Thayne Tantalus

EXP: 106,923, Level: 14
    Level completed: 20%, EXP required for next Level: 12,077
    Level completed: 20%,
    EXP required for next Level: 12,077

GP

Name
    Lysander Anall
    Race
    Thayne

View Profile
    First point of call would be to set your word limit for posts to 250. Focus on writing within that frame and go with a 20% for setting rule. You needn't overload the reader with descriptions, and you can still write dialogue heavy posts whilst describing the action and environment by unveiling it slowly.

I'd be happy to write a thread with you with the above rules and work on it on a post by post basis, if you're willing? It'll be more dynamic and educational that reading a wall of feedback here (from me at least).

I'm Asking you Icely

EXP: 33,893, Level: 7
    Level completed: 87%, EXP required for next Level: 1,107
    Level completed: 87%,
    EXP required for next Level: 1,107

GP

Name
    Ashla Rose Icebreaker
    Race
    Human/Elf Hybrid

View Profile
    Size 1 text is needed for my huge response. Apologies in advance...

Quote Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
    If you've noticed that you tend to focus on one topic at a time, work with that instead of trying to work against it.
    Or, consider writing posts in segments, maybe with bullet points to help you out. Figure out what the overall theme of the post/story will be, then break it down and tackle it in sections?

As for tackling run on sentences and sentence fragments - might try restricting sentences and make sure you only have one agent (acting character), one recipient, and one action? This can be expanded up towards two, but if you go more than two - especially in the case of agents - things get messy. Hope this helps, even if just a little bit.
    Thank you for the response!

Writing them separately, using bullet points for clarity, then removing the points and putting them together is a good idea!

I just tried writing "one point of interest, one sentence" writing an intro for a quest and I think it went well! I think I only caught my "rambling sentences" once! I'm finding it difficult to add techniques and avoid sounding list like, but once again it went very well. Thank you again!

Quote Originally Posted by Stare View Post
    Shorter posts might work. And try using shorter sentences in general, although you said you find that difficult. I would definitely say one thread at a time might be a good place to start, especially for non-combat ones.
    I have so many threads right now O_O

Keeping shorter sentence structures in mind is already helping! My major struggle is putting in as much description as I feel is needed; plus adding similes, metaphors, etc.

Here's one I tried.

As I originally wrote it:
    The scents of perfumes, fresh fish, leavened breads, and herbs all felt meshed into an overload of sensations too strong to take. Felicity had to watch her deer skin pack and weapons as she inched her way through the ocean of shoving, shouting people.
    Edited:
    There were scents of perfumes, fresh fish, leavened breads, and herbs. It all felt meshed into an overload of sensations too strong to take. Felicity had to watch her belongings as she inched her way through the ocean of shoving, shouting people.
    Thank you for being so kind and understanding, Phi. It really means a lot to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    First point of call would be to set your word limit for posts to 250. Focus on writing within that frame and go with a 20% for setting rule. You needn't overload the reader with descriptions...
    Lol, I've focused so long on making larger posts and adding many, maybe unneeded, descriptions and stuff xD This feels a bit counterintuitive as writing advice xD My posts are generally three to five paragraphs + single lines. 250 seems short, but maybe I can do that!

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    ...you can still write dialogue heavy posts whilst describing the action and environment by unveiling it slowly.
    This is actually where I struggle so much. I get ao sucked into writing one of those three that I forget to add the other two. Especially in places with quicker paced stories. Maybe it's because I'm used to people just talking IRL with no breaks for narrations (this proves I need to read more...) but yeah.

Once in a while I'm successful. I've been working on adding body language and moments of introspective between dialogue, so I think I'm getting better. Adding surrounding setting and scenery during dialogue is still an issue for the most part.

Thank you, Duffy!

I'm actually already writing threads with both Phi and Duffy and I still don't know how to reply Phi's! :P Then there's Fenn and Rev's Citadel fites... the Ambling Dragon...

Sweet Cinnamoth

EXP: 37,766, Level: 8
    Level completed: 31%, EXP required for next Level: 6,234
    Level completed: 31%,
    EXP required for next Level: 6,234

GP

Name
    Fennik Glenwey
    Race
    Frost Fae

View Profile
    don worry my adorable icefriend, you may take all the time you need with our thread if you are feel overwhelmed

Legend

EXP: 127,650, Level: 15
    Level completed: 55%, EXP required for next Level: 7,350
    Level completed: 55%,
    EXP required for next Level: 7,350

GP

Name
    Philomel van der Aart (+ Veridian)
    Race
    Faun (+ Fox/Earth Spirit)

View Profile
    Ashla, that is really good

I love the way you write, it adds some really great feeling and sense of environment into your writing. I'm excited more about our battle now. Similies and metaphors are always good, they help bring a place, person or thing to life. The guideline for clauses was just to help try to curb your writing as you mentioned might enjoy a focus for you. Run-on sentences, especially in description, can be a great tool. You should never over use them though. Maybe one or two in a lengthy paragraph.

Althanian

EXP: 11,761, Level: 4
    Level completed: 56%, EXP required for next Level: 2,239
    Level completed: 56%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,239

GP

Name
    Lorenor
    Race
    Undead

View Profile
    Ashlafriend.

As someone who used to have a BIIIIG problem with run-on sentences I can tell you what worked for me. I started simplifying my scenes/posts to ONE major scene per post. Not necessarily making SMALLER post per say, but smaller scenes. Think like a movie director or a video game director. Everything you place in a scene should have some sort of meaning to the story itself.

Run on sentences come with trying to fit too much in one paragraph.

A pro tip I learned from someone was ONE WORD can be a paragraph. Learn to keep your thoughts separate and you can work things from there. ALSO start working on constructing your scenes as if they were part of a Movie or a Video Game. As someone who is an artist, that helped me out IMMENSELY. Seeing the scene from the pov of a Movie Director/Producer/Writer/whatever you want to call it. The point is, simplify your approach to the actual posts themselves and you will be golden from there.

It will take a bit of effort on your part (I still do run-on sentences once in a while, but no where near as badly as before.) but I believe you have the potential to become a great writer. Just keep at it.

~Pav