Level completed: 51%, EXP required for next Level: 5,394
    Level completed: 51%,
    EXP required for next Level: 5,394

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    Immediately as soon as the cuff had settled the furthest it would go, tiny metal chains - not laces this time but chains - merged themselves from the gap that was between the ends of the cuff and wound their way through holes that had not existed before. Pulling the cuff tight around her wrist it lashed itself, pressing into feathers and flesh as it had done so before.

No sooner had it been done than the familiar heavy presence set itself against her mind, like a sudden wind that failed to die. Stare closed her eyes and inwardly sighed before opening herself once more, onto the relationship that was.

He came like a flood, like water that had been desperate to flow for a long time but had not been able to because of some crude and dangerous foe. Washing over every surface thought she had he became a fog, a thick and dense substance that settled as if home. Audibly, she heard him sigh as it flattened against her identity.

"Good," he whispered.

Good.

A shiver ran down her spine but she tried to ignore it. The feeling of depression threatened to overhwhelm her and make her feel less than she was. But she was not going to have any of it. Instead she raced to summon every memory she had of the past five days and threw them at the mist of his person. All the silence, the blindfolded darkness, the pain and the sneering of her guards. The hope of Nevin, the daring escape, the daunting propsect as the mage had murmured "his brother." All this she threw madly like a hailstorm at Vitruvion, shoving the truth in his face that he could not deny. Explaining the reasons why she was who she was, what and happened. Why she had been found that way ...

The fog drifted, lifting up to form a cohesive force, that simply watched the memories being thrown at him. Scene by scene he wordlessly saw the truth of what had occurred - the panic when she had realised she could no longer feel his presence, the fear of him that she had gone through at his possible anger, on the discovery the cuff had entirely gone. He shifted through her thoughts of escape, leaving everyone she knew and running to the hills with mild amusement, before he sank into concentration on the fight out of the captivity.

When it came to her direct combat with the mage he pushed his essence more, showing signs of strong interest. As the conversation went on, and the struggles between her and the mage, the fantastic way that Nevin had saved her life, Vitruvion kept intensely watching. The concept shifted as the mage was then questioned, and he gave up the few words that made her panic:

"M-m-my master - a being approached my master, and asked for help in getting vengeance on his brother. Said.... Said his brother was reaching too far, interfering too much in mortal affairs."

All of a sudden the presence was gone from her mind. Pulled out, like a bandage from a badly treated wound. Flickering open her eyes Stare paused, then with a rush of confusion at his exit turned, to look right at him.

He was gazing off into the distance, brow furrowed low and his chest heaving up and down. His lips were parted, his eyes wide and Stare could have imagined ... She thought she saw ... But it wasn't possible. How could the god be ... Worried?

The first instinct (and she hated herself when she realised what it was) was concern. Twisting onto her knees she properly faced Vitruvion and focused her eyes.

He was dead silent. And did not look at her.

"Ehhh ...?" She murmured. "What's ...?"

He held up a hand quickly, palm out. Automatically she fell to quiet, head tilting to the side. "What?" She mouthed.

"I am talking to Ventrua," he explained in a rapid, irritated tone.

Irritated because she was talking.

Stare grunted in the back of her throat. But did not interrupt. She had finally convinced him of the importance of the situation, and thus she was not impatient anymore.

Dullness continued for several more minutes. She found herself running an uncomfortable hand over the cuff, now back in place. Looking down at it she shifted into a slightly more comfortable position, then sank slightly. A sigh escaped the sides of her beak, as time passed and her fate and future came back to her.

"Stare."

Quickly she looked back up when her name was called. He was back looking at her, eyes focused again. His expression was serious and determined, set.

"Neither I nor Ventrua know of any brother I might have, whole or otherwise who might be here. Either the mage you met was contacted by a half-sibling of ours across the region of space, or there is another child of Ansaldo here. Without our knowledge."

Stare blinked slowly. A lump formed in her throat.

"A brother who apparently disapproves of my ... 'interferences in mortal affairs'."

He set his jaw.

"I know from Ansaldo's memories that I am the only full child. Therefore he is half mortal, therefore I can defeat him. Our purpose is to now find him, and kill him. Do you understand?"

Stare gazed at him, and blinked again. This other brother had contacts. Enough power to be able to break the magic of her cuff and possibly release her. Maybe he even had enough power, collectively with his allies that she could be free and -

"They will do exactly the same as I have done," Vitruvion replied, finishing her thoughts. "Remember my powers have grown also since we have met. They would take you, keep you and probably, in all fairness, treat you worse than I have. Your loyalty lies with me, my dear," he looked utterly serious, and his voice was sure, "Make no doubt of that. So long as you serve me well, I will treat you well."

She began to open her beak to reply but he shook his head and reached out to touch the underside of it. Gentle. Caressing. Purposeful.

"I am a god," he said quietly, his eyes full of endless stars. "And you are my eyes."
    Crows: Old nursery rhyme "One for sorrow, Two for mirth, Three for a funeral, Four for birth, Five for heaven, Six for hell, Seven for the devil, his own self."

Legend

EXP: 59,606, Level: 10

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    After perusing her memories over three more times, Vitruvion leant back against the headboard. He had not forced her to live through each thought again, only asked her to bring them to the surface as he travelled through the details, analysing each part. From the light sources, the facial expressions and the town he managed to deduce certain things about the place and the people that had taken part in the proceedings.

"I believe the men, the main guards, were from a local area, but the mage himself was distant. Human, but Aleran. And the demon he served was a high power certainly. Sitting within the higher three circles of Hadia."

Pausing he focused on various aspects - the colour of clothing, the writing on a book that her eyes had glanced over.

"Definitely local to Corone. From the lower classes, sons of bakers, smiths, but not born fighters. Learnt in the recent years only. This will give us a place to start certainly."

When he was done he drifted back inside his own head. But he did not move from where he sat. Instead he pulled Stare towards him and made her show each and every mark and scar she had received, pushing aside the feathers for some. After he had seen them all he passed a hand over each in the same pattern that he had seen, and at every point, she felt a wriggle of warmth crawl up her spine. As his hand floated over the skin knit back together, the scars healed over and even the feathers rerighted themselves. Within a few peaceful moments Stare was back to a tail full of short plumage and an entirely wound-free body.

"Far more useful to me," he intoned when done, and he relaxed a little against the bed. He gestured gently to her, raising an arm upwards.

Stare hesitated, looking at him with uncertain, uncomfortable eyes.

"My dear," he said with more force. "You have been away from me for five days. I can also feel the desperate need within you to be ... Comforted. I may not be your favoured candidate but for now I am all you have."

Dropping her eyes she looked at the covers of her bed.

"I don't need pitied, Vitruvion."

He laughed, hollowly. "Then humour the fact that I simply need to hold you. Now. To acknowledge that you really back at my side."

Uncertainly she rubbed her forearm, still imagining the folds of metal holding her body in that ridiculous, cruel pose.

"Stare?"

"Is it an order ... Sir?"

She heard a sharp breath dragging in. Out of the corner of her eye she saw his arm slowly fall, and a look of digust come to his face, with his eyes shining with disappointment.

"My dear, you never cease to disappoint me. Indeed, you cannot get away from me, but you can make your life easier."

Weight began to shift, as he slid off the bed.

"Come down stairs in the morning. Early. We will begin our planning for the return trip then."

A whole second of pause. And Stare was made to look up again at him in surprise.

"Return trip?"

"Yes of course," the good said, now standing, perfect and strong. "We will return precisely to where you went, because this is serious. In fact it might be the most serious threat to my kingdom since I was banished to this fucking planet."
    Crows: Old nursery rhyme "One for sorrow, Two for mirth, Three for a funeral, Four for birth, Five for heaven, Six for hell, Seven for the devil, his own self."

Legend

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    The thought of returning to the same place that she had been left blinded and force fed for five long days made her blood run instantly cold. Her eyes widened, her breath expelled from her lungs in one quick breath and she pulled back, fear immediately lancing through her body.

"Stare, in your opinion who is more powerful - myself or some dead mage, whom you and your blood mage friend defeated?"

The question made her pause a second, but the fear still remained. Because it was instinctual. It had been felt all these days previous, as well as undying loathing.

His smirk returned. "Exactly. Me. And that is not even boasting at what I am capable of. I may not be the type of deity to hold any omnipotence, and my form may be bound in this stinking form, thus limiting how much power I can truly hold, but I am still a god. My essence is immortal, and harming me is ... Difficult." He grinned broadly and his eyes shone. "You will not be hurt."

"It's not my safety I am concerned about," she murmured. "Rather the ..."

"Memories," he finished for her. "Indeed, but it is either you return with me, or I go with Raevin. And you having actually dealt with the experience, you are the far more intelligent choice. Besides," he shrugged. "I want to look in on my brewery."

Stare breathed in but nodded a little. It was useless even trying to persuade him otherwise, she realised. His mind was quite set.

"I also want you to begin training one of the household staff in the skills you have learnt here," Vitruvion went on. "On the running of the house, the ... Management of my legal companies. It is clear that your use to me is beyond this city, and even Raevin does not meet your organisational and people skills anymore."

Never having imagined herself as a 'people person' Stare frowned in her eyes and at the corners of her mouth but shrugged once more.

"Right, fine," she agreed, "That I get but why do we need to go back to that hovel of a prison? Why not head to Alerar? Where you thought he was from?"

Vitruvion looked at her with a slight crease in his brow. "That was where he was based. The mage. And-" he stopped. "You had the book of demon text?"

Stare suddenly blinked, her train of thought cut off. Blinking a few times she realised precisely what having the book meant and she sat up sharply, turning to look around the room. Her pouch and clothing was strewn over the ground.

"Yes, of course," she said, her voice humming with realisation.

Previously, for another great friendship she had developed, Vitruvion had proved his skill at translation of alternative languages. His ability to read and write almost every tongue had enabled Stare at previous moments to understand as he translated. Without hesitation she pushed herself off the bed and walked over to the belt pouch to open it and tug out the hide-bound book. It was battered and still worn but that would not stop him from being able to read it.

Taking it right over she held it out, lifting her eyes. His hand snaked out and took the book from hers, a pause as he flipped through the pages of dark, horrible script.

"Hmm," he nodded, "Easier than Nosdyn's pamphlet."

After a brief moment he folded it closed. And he looked back up at her.

"We leave at early dawn. Show Druss where the books are, if in dire need he can have Raevin."

Stare parted her beak. "Leave ... At dawn? We don't need to plan or ... Ventrua?"

"After my sister's last demonstration here," Vitruvion curled his lip, "I do not have time for my sister. She has her business, you helped when I gave in and leant that single day. She has her uses, but will never directly obey an order like I can have you do. She will not be coming."

Raising her brows at 'obey an order like I can have you do' Stare opened her mouth to speak after him, beginning the start to tell him just where he could shove that idea - when he flashed out a hand and suddenly shut the two parts of her beak closed. Hard. So they snapped together. When she tried to open her beak it felt like the weight of two tonnes was upon it, even though a single thumb and forefinger was there.

"I don't quite think so, Stare," he smiled. "I don't think so."

Legend

GP

Name
    Avis Tsakaka
    Race
    Kenku / Tengu
    A soft wind blew from the east, catching the very tips of her delicate feathers and sending them dancing. She breathed into the air, sighing as the memories of the past week came flooding back as clear as day. But now she stood with a god at her side, able to face any fury that came their way. Darkness was her ally in this situation, revenge and anger truths.

"Well," he said, closing the portal behind them, a swirling blue vortex similar to that which Raevin had had in a globe. "What a fair country."

She looked back at him, tilting her head, her hands clutched around her dagger hilts. "You haven't been here before?"

Vitruvion's eyes scanned across the harbour they stood in. Not quite the same one that Stare had been subject to, but close enough for knowledge. It was Radasanth, a city that clung to the sea like a lover to her heart, home of years of civil war and an unsteady government. It was lively, international and the place that they could start their investigations.

"Not for some time," he admitted, bringing his cane around to the front. "Now ..."

The jetty before them was quiet. Deliberately chosen so that two people stepping out of thin air would not cause unwanted attention. Mere gulls were their stunned audience, squawking with alarm at their sudden appearance. It made Vitruvion smile slightly and he nodded firmly before making a decision.

"I want you to find us a place to stay, my dear. An inn, a villa, somewhere to sleep for a few days rest. I presume we can travel here to the town?"

She showed him the brief memory of her going from the brewery over to the harbour town, a view of Radasanth in the distance. It caused him to nod.

"I have my own things to do."

Her brow rose, and she looked at him confused.

"You ... Have things to do in a city you have not been in for ... However many decades?"

He immediately frowned at her, both hands coming to rest on the top of his cane. Then he glanced back around, ensuring they were still alone.

"Eight," he acknowledged, and straightened. "I believe we can get out of here that way," he nodded ahead to where the wooden platforms twisted over the water.

Stare looked, then grunted.

"I guess there's no point in asking what it is you are going to do?"

"Oh you will find out I'm sure," he shrugged, "I will tell you after. It is of no great secret, for now. But you have your business."

He started forwards. Confused, the kenku followed, not eager to be too far away from the one man who could offer her every protection.

"And what happens if-"

"I will be watching, Stare," he told her. "I have that ability once more. You are in no more danger of villains than I am of dying."

EXP: 61,139, Level: 10
    Level completed: 65%, EXP required for next Level: 3,861
    Level completed: 65%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,861

GP

Name
    Nevin Aimaparapoiitis
    Race
    Human (Godling)
    Slowly the man with long white hair strode through the streets of Radasanth. In his early days of coming to the planet of Althanas he had been here - in fact he had been almost everywhere civilised before settling in Beinost. However, since that single time he had not walked the streets, apart from the memories of dead ghosts and the victims of his intrusive mind readings.

Now he walked himself, dressed in fine black cotton of breeches and military style tailcoat, deep brown boots and a flourish of white shirt at his throat. His lone prop was his dark wood cane, topped with a brass owl head, that he held behind him between both hands. He was the figure of lonesome gentry and style, a person that an eager-eyed merchant might victimise. However, if one looked close and was perceptive they would see that in fact he was the one seeking, his eyes roaming for a red haired man, dressed in a drakescale chestpiece, a face and eyes quite distinctive.

Carefully Vitruvion roamed, letting the minutes slip by. Prying intrusion into the surface thoughts of easy to read minds had shown him that a similarly faced individual had come this way, and rumours of a blood cult. Though the crimson hair had not been mentioned, loose lips had mentioned those eyes and a type of being similar. Thus, over the hour or so the white-haired god had found his way over to a small certain corner of Radanath and was now close to tracking the man called Nevin, he was sure.

He stood at the key crossroads for several long minutes before the bald head passed him by. Vitruvion needed to do a reassessment, but as he focused in on the face and compared it to Stare's memories he became more certain. The lack of red hair mentioned was obvious now. Carefully Vitruvion stepped through the crowd and began to follow Nevin, grinning in his own way as he twirled his cane behind him. Waiting for the blood mage to realise he was being followed.

Nevin frowned and rubbed at the back of his neck. For the last short while, the humming upon his skin had been… stuttering? Like something was interfering or interrupting his magic, but he didn't know of anything that could achieve that. But considering that he was currently trying to track down an apparent survivor of the cult that had warped him, he wasn't about to take chances.

The currently baldheaded alchemist pushed through a small throng of people and walked over to a nearby shop, a d turned around to lean his back against it. As soon as his back was pressed against the rock, his dark eyes started scanning the crowd. He had been caught off guard once by the bounty hunters, and he did not intend to get snatched when he was this close to finding his target.

The white haired man moved into view, piercing blue eyes flickering around to flicker over the blood mage’s face. Picking out the individual features he took three final steps before he became absolutely sure that this was indeed the same person as that his kenku had befriended. Then he stopped, smile flickering and turned fully in the middle of the street to face Nevin, blinking slowly.

“I understand you are a famed alchemist? From Stonevale?” His voice was smooth, handsome and seductive - but quiet.

Dark red eyes went wide before narrowing as the alchemist tensed up. No one here should recognize him - his red hair was how most identified him. More than that, none of his clientele lived in Radasanth or made trips there that he knew of. Nevin’s skin prickled as he tensed up.

“You would be correct in that regard. If you're needing an alchemical concoction I'll have to deny you though, sir, as I do not have any of my products with me. I'm sure Radasanth has skilled alchemists of its own, one of them should be able to help you.” Nevin's tone was wary, guarded. Cobalt, this man was connected to the damn hunters, that must be why he recognized Nevin now.

Vitruvion regarded Nevin for a moment before losing his smile. As he listened to his tone he realised that this particular person - that was not weak and would take some time to successfully pierce the mind of - was extremely wary. Considering that he had experienced the same days as Stare, the god acknowledged his right to be so. Therefore he straightened and addressed the concern directly.

“I do not mean you any harm, alchemist. Nor any danger. I am a man who is merely a … fan of your abilities. Of yourself. I have searched for you in this city for more than two hours.”

Bringing his hands around to show that he held no weapons he posed before Nevin with his cane, resting its end on the ground where it belonged.

Nevin watched as the man held his hands on his cane, his body still tense as he regarded the white haired individual. As far as he knew, the only people who could know he was in Radasanth was - Stare. The cult itself couldn't know yet - there was no way word of his and her escape from their captors could have been made known to them, not yet.

So then this man was someone connected with Stare and Raevin - his friend had heard where he was supposed to be delivered, and was easily intelligent enough to figure out that was where his business would be. That thought almost made him relax his guard - would have, if not for the warning about letting Stare’s master employ him. Was this a recruitment agent sent by the mysterious Vitruvion then?

“I see. I wasn't aware I had fans, especially ones attentive enough to recognize me without my hair.”

GP

Name
    Nevin Aimaparapoiitis
    Race
    Human (Godling)
    Vitruvion took a pause, letting his eyes quickly take in the alchemist again before switching back to join eye contact. He tapped an errant finger on the brass owl of his staff, considering for a moment with how to reply. At some point, he was certain, Nevin would figure out his identity. That or he would straight forward tell him.

“If one has wisdom enough then they can use other distinctive features other than the colour of hair, or eyes to find a person. I have-” he paused, thinking how best to say he had found him without relating too much of his power and abilities. “Let's say I am skilled at asking questions. Without raising too much suspicion, do not worry. You need not fear any danger from … enemies from me.”

He briefly pushed his way into Stare's mind, taking note of the various things she had found out about Nevin's cultist relations. Those who might be searching for him. Vitruvion certainly considered it in his personal interest to not lose the alchemist to any others.

“I promise I will not harm you, how is that?”

He inclined his head, slightly.

Nevin paused for a moment, staring at the man with narrowed eyes. He was at this point almost certain that this man was related in some way to Avis. She was one of the few who knew enough about him to give someone guidance on what he looked like, enough to identify him even missing one of his characteristic features. At least, the only one who was near the area.

So when the man promised no violence, Nevin nodded slightly. He would at the least hear this stranger out before he resumed his hunt for the cult. So he looked around, and spotted an open air cafe a short distance away. He inclined his head in that direction.

“Very well. Let's discuss this over some refreshments then, shall we? I'm sure you weren't looking for me for hours simply to say hello.”

Vitruvion's lips parted slightly, and his brows pushed to the sky as he looked over the cafe briefly. It was a street place, full of many different classes of people, no where near what he was used to. But the alchemist was offering time to speak to him - it meant Vitruvion could continue this interesting game for awhile longer before he decided truly if Nevin was allowed to stay in Stare's life. Letting out a slight disgruntled grunt he nodded, and turned.

“Whyever not? I guess one must act plebeian sometime,” and he let an amused glint come to his eye before heading over, his cane clacking once as he picked it up. Taking a moment to ascertain Stare was still busy and not likely to come across them suddenly he waited for Nevin to join him at the stall.

Nevin slowly walked behind the man, one hairless brow quirked in mild exasperation. The man who had found him was obviously used to more upscale situations than this, but he was the one who tracked Nevin down in the middle of the street while he was busy. At least he was willing to go along with it.

Nevin got a hot tea and moved to an empty spot, away from the others. He blew across the tea to cool it down before sipping it.

“So. Why has an agent of Vitruvion tracked me down? I'm sure he has other things on his plate than having you find me.”

Vitruvion was just dropping into the seat across from Nevin when the alchemist spoke. Immediately, upon hearing his name he glanced up, fixing him with an icy stare. His body tensed, ears picking at every syllable Nevin said as he listened, lips slowly parting.

There was a long pause as he was given various options. Amusement and then intrigue flittered through his mind. Pride, a willingness to continue this game, and decision whether to just admit it outright.

GP

Name
    Nevin Aimaparapoiitis
    Race
    Human (Godling)
    Seconds passed, and then he simply gave up and relaxed, grunting with acceptance.

“Well. Direct question with a direct answer. The façade could have not continued for long.” He smiled gloriously. “Pleased make your acquaintance at last, Nevin. Stare has revealed many interesting things about you.” He laid his hands on the table, watching the human with poise and grace, ready for any action.

“I am Vitruvion.”

Nevin calmly set his drink down on the table and laced his fingers together in front of his mouth, staring for a long few moments at the white haired man across from him. This man.
    This man was the one responsible for the atrocities that had happened to Avis. Not just the first time but this time as well. She had been targeted because of her connection to him, which was merely a tool some being had used to attack the person in front of him.

If Nevin hadn't gotten the chance to let out some of his aggression against their captors, he might have acted without thinking, might have attacked the man. But that would accomplish absolutely nothing - as he was now Nevin doubted he could even affect this being in the least.

So instead he picked up his tea and took another long, slow drink, and set it down on the table. Then he brought his gaze up to Vitruvion’s.

“So then. This is either a recruitment attempt, or, you are attempting to verify if what Stare told Raevin, and probably you as well, is true. I will answer whatever I can, if the latter is the case.”

Vitruvion took a moment to watch the man's expression, taking in what he could in the minute details of anger and frustration. Despite not having an easy way into Nevin's mind - not obviously at least, any magic user was relatively powerful resistant to him, regards from the gods of Althanas - he could figure out what the alchemist was thinking. The emotions at least, connected to what he knew already of Nevin.

He sat back and kept his eyes steady, knowing any attack would not harm him. Not likely. He tilted his head slightly, tapping a finger on the table as he thought how best to reply.

“No. I need neither you right now, nor confirmation of what my kenku went through. She has shown me every memory, they were perfectly believable as she cannot take them to me.” He raised a hand to tuck hair behind his ear. “I am in this city with her to actually get revenge on those who stole her from me.”

He picked up his steaming tea and drank a draught straight, no regard for the heat.

“I actually came to look for you, intrigued as to why she holds you in such high regard.” He set the mug down. “I hold to my promise that I am no threat to you.”

Nevin’s lips drew into a thin, hard line at the reminder of what had happened to Stare. It was a reassurance that this… man… didn’t need him at the moment, but the fact that he could see her memories was aggravating. Still, there was nothing that could be done for it at the moment. Instead he nodded once, abruptly.

“I know you probably don't need to hear this to do it, but I hope you make them -suffer-. Each and every one of the mongrels that were involved in taking her. If I wasn't involved in my own hunt for the ones who decided I would make a good target, I would happily join you in exterminating them with prejudice.” The alchemist leaned back in his seat,

“And as for why she holds me in high regards, I could not answer that, for I do not know it. I believe my soul is what interested her at first with the damage done to it that she could see. Past that, you probably have a better idea than I do.” His shirt rippled as he shrugged.

GP

Name
    Nevin Aimaparapoiitis
    Race
    Human (Godling)
    Verging on the light side of green, if you wish to know. A neutral person, with good.” Vitruvion smiled, leaning back, more comfortable. “That is the colour of your soul and your lines of power are blood red, your chakras crimson, your heart pure white. That is what my Stare sees.” He crossed his legs, and went on.

“As to suffering, I'm very skilled in that sort of thing.” He gave a convincing, bloodthirsty grin. “I take care of what is mine, despite what others think of me, and one of my prized possessions is Stare. She, or Raevin, for instance, gets harmed, people die. It is simple mathematics.”

He took another drink of his tea, keeping his eyes on Nevin, gauging his reactions. His eyes continued to shine with a less than decent-hearted light.

“So you need not fear there, alchemist.”

Nevin had listened quietly as Vitruvion listed colors at him. He knew they had import - that he was neutral with tendencies towards good made sense, and his power being crimson made… Well, it was pretty obvious to him, and probably to the other entity as well it was the last that confused him, what did it mean that his heart was pure white? His honesty? But Nevin had secrets and he normally did his best to keep them. Perhaps something else?

No matter, not now. For now, he nodded once at Vitruvion’s answer. While he would never be able to think as Vitruvion did, consider another living being as nothing more than a prized possession, Nevin did agree with the sentiment of protecting what was dear to oneself. He might find several of the white haired man’s actions reprehensible, incomprehensible, the Alchemist could, on this matter, agree with the other individual.

“Good. Scum like that does not deserve to breathe without pain, or breathe for that much longer at all.”

“Indeed,” Vitruvion directly agreed, leaning back. “They do not. They-”

He paused as he felt Stare very obviously open herself up, throwing her awareness to the ether.

What? he asked.

Found both somewhere to stay and a trail, she told him, an image of a grand hotel before her. It seemed fine enough. Will it do?

Vitruvion blinked a few moments then replied. Yes. Come join me here. I have found someone you might want to see.

He sent her a very clear image of a bald Nevin sitting before him. Her reply was almost instant.

Shit. You bastard. You fucking- And there was the sound of her running. He sent her very direct and simply directions, his lips pulling into a proud smirk, simply enjoying his placement of pieces.

“Stare is coming now,” he told Nevin, eyes focusing back on him, the grin clear on his face. “While she runs … tell me how is your own investigation going?”

Nevin blinked once at that rather innocuous statement followed by a question. Whatever byplay had just gone on was apparently entirely mental, as Vitruvion had done nothing more than grin mischievously after blinking. Still, he had no reason not to answer - Avis would likely get the information through their link, and if not the Alchemist had no problem with telling her directly.

“I have, I believe, narrowed it down to a rather specific region in the slums of this city. The cult I am after would find it easiest to gather disillusioned people from districts like that, and at this point it is merely a matter of tracking them down in specific. I know they're here in this city - as soon as I got inside the walls I could feel their magic at work. The slums are where the feel is the strongest - but I came out this way tracking an errant source. It has gone now though, and right now I…. Well, the sensations come and go. Something seems to be either distracting my magic, or interfering with it.” He shrugged and took another sip of his decidedly bland tea. The man wished it was better, but he wasn't about to go creating ghosts in other areas of the city to chase just so he could have a good drink.

Vitruvion concentrated on Stare feverishly running for another moment before looking back at Nevin. He ran a hand down the edge of the cup, thinking for a moment about what he knew of blood mages. Focusing briefly on what he could feel around him the god looked into his own version of Stare's aura sight, except it was far more powerful and clear. There was a distinctive pulsing of energy he found, flowing thickly like blood. It was uncharming, smelt of iron and copper and left a foul taste in his mouth.

“Indeed,” he paused for a moment before raising a finger and pointing in the direction that the magic felt strongest from. Then he let his hand fall back to the table. “I have had rare experience with mages of your type but yes. There is. Start there,” he jabbed the finger again.

He lost his smile then, simply willing to wait for her to come to them.

Nevin had raised an eyeridge as the entity in front of him closed his eyes and focused. A distinctly unpleasant look crossed his face, like someone sucking on an overly tart fruit, or smelling something foul. Then he raised one hand and pointed in the direction of the slums that Nevin had been investigating.

It was a confirmation of what he already suspected - but it also made certain thoughts he had about the nature of the man in front of him more pronounced. Nevin could detect it because of his similar magic, a faint tremor that hummed in his skin. But this man, this being, had closed his eyes and did nothing for a moment, before pinpointing it as well as Nevin himself had. He sipped his tea as he pondered the man in front of him, and waited for his friend to arrive.

GP

Name
    Nevin Aimaparapoiitis
    Race
    Human (Godling)
    As the alchemist fell to silence, Vitruvion did nothing. The smile that had been playing on his lips disappeared, and instead he let the quiet allow him to build up his powers. If Nevin was wanting to extend an awkward moment, the noble was willing to let it happen as he began to pry at the borders of Nevin's mind. With no knowledge of how exactly the natural protection worked for each individual born under the Althanas gods’ Vitruvion had to work on each as a case by case basis. A blood mage was one mind he had never been privy to and thus the interest came to him, so he let his presence reign. He leant back and concentrated on assessing every border that was at Nevin's mind, trying to gain a clue as to how to the alchemist worked, what precisely it meant to have another soul attached to yours, what weaknesses he might have besides the obvious …

“Good tea,” he commented, distracting both himself and Nevin. “Interesting place, this commoner cafe.”

He felt Stare skimming around a corner, coming within a minute or so’s run.

Nevin hid a frown behind his tea cup as he felt his magic grow agitated, the choir upon his skin and in his soul sounding angry, frightened, almost afraid. But defiant - even if he couldn't tell what was rousing his soul and magic in anger. He looked around, growing mildly agitated - was this his magic reacting to the cult he was hunting? Or was the threat closer to him? Before he could raise the question -

“Good tea.” And just like that the anger in his chorus of magic was gone returning to the low hum that pervaded it in this city. Nevin frowned and looked down at his poor excuse for tea, then to Vitruvion’s. He could see a difference in quality between what they had received, and his irritation deepened. Blasted pretty boy had gotten better quality tea than he had. It was because he had shaved his head, wasn't it?

Out of the corner of his eye Nevin saw rapid movement coming in their direction, and he half-stood, turning to face it. The motion resolved into Stare, charging down the street in their direction, and Nevin raised one hand to greet her -

“You absolute, fucking bastard.”

Vitruvion just laughed, mocking amusement clear in his melodic tones. Moving right to the corner of the bench he sat on he made room for her, but she made no gesture to sit. Instead her furious eyes, full of anger and frustration, glared at him for a moment, before she looked over to Nevin. She fought with herself for a while, wanting to swear more before she nodded at him and mouthed.

Sorry.

Her eyes were still full of fury but she had a glint of happiness at seeing her friend. Giving a sideways glance to Vitruvion she ducked in and gave Nevin a very brief and sudden hug before moving away, whispering another apology close to his ear.

Nevin had been mildly surprised at the venom in Stare’s voice as she rushed in and quickly began checking him over, her eyes darting across his body. The light, sardonic amusement in the other man’s laugh irritated him but he suppressed it for now, instead focusing his attention on Stare.

She looked good - better even than he had seen her back in Stonevale. There was no sign of the wounds that she had suffered in that Cobalt-taken cell, her plumage bright and healthy once more. But as he was checking her out, he was absolutely floored in shock at the sudden impetuous hug that she gave him - after the flinch and her strange stillness the two times he had touched her while they were escaping he had thought she wouldn't be able to stand touching him of her own volition, so the affectionate gesture stunned him, and it wasn't until after she had broken the gesture and he had slid aside to offer room next to him as well, that his brain resumed functioning properly.

Stare looked at him a moment, her emotions steadily softening as she kept her attention on him. As he slid aside she was caught in a moment of indecision, a myriad of quickly altering feelings making her confused and addled. Her beak parted and she blinked a few times as Vitruvion's laughter died away, her eyes flickering between the space beside her friend and the space beside her master.

One look at Vitruvion told her what to do. He even sent her an image of a raised eyebrow that did not appear on his actual face. The question was ultimately where her loyalty lay, though she doubted he would be furious long if she sat by Nevin. Despite this, she moved moodily to drop into the seat right beside Vitruvion so she was sitting across from Nevin, her hands light fists.

An awkward silence eschewed as she paused without real knowledge of what to say. Her eyes glanced over to the white-haired noble, who was now professionally lounging and smiling.

“Say what you will, my dear. Whatever you would speak even if I was not here I would hear.”

GP

Name
    Nevin Aimaparapoiitis
    Race
    Human (Godling)
    She grunted and looked back at Nevin. “Hi,” she said in a low voice. “Eh … how are you?”

Nevin rubbed a hand across his scalp as he looked over at his friend. It was heartening to see her in such a better condition, even if it did come with the burden of Vitruvion’s presence. Now that his brain wasn't stalling at the sudden contact, he looked her over again to confirm what he had seen before.

She was definitely healed, at least to outward appearances. Her feathers had regained their lustre, and her eyes were bright and shining, and her hands were curled into light fists. He wondered absently why that was as his eyes paused for a moment on the cuff that was secured around her wrist again. For a moment only, white hot rage shot through him - she had been free of that humiliation - but he shoved that thought and the emotion attached to it away. Instead he gave her a light smile.

“I am… Not fully healed but I am in better condition. I'm quite glad to see that you've recovered, Stare. I could do without the humming across my skin that won't stop, but until I deal with the individuals who sought to have me delivered to them I doubt that will happen.” One shoulder twisted in a shrug.

“I wasn't expecting to see you again so soon, though as I said I am most certainly glad to. I would join you on your hunt, but if I tarry too long I have no idea what the cult will do. However I doubt a few minutes in either direction will change things.” He grinned.

Blinking a little she listened to Nevin, then shrugged. “After we left you Raevin and I went straight back to Beinost. I was in a state and he - Vitruvion -” she glanced uncertainly to the god, and he just gestured a couple of fingers for her to keep on going. “Healed me, so that's that …” she blinked a few times, trying to establish her train of thought again amongst the emotions. “Eh, yeah. I would help you too but we have our own … Stuff. Obviously.”

She realised her speech was becoming awkward and stuttering so she grimaced, and then just went on, focusing as if Vitruvion wasn't even there. “I'll let you know if we find anything that might be useful to you. There might be-” she looked suddenly over to Vitruvion, “Wait. Do you have the book?”

There was a pause as the man blinked, and frowned a little, before reaching into his pocket and drawing out the demon book that they had found in the desk at the cells, locked away. Very lightly he placed it on the table and pushed it towards Nevin, his hand leaving it almost eagerly.

“Have it, why don't you, alchemist,” he said with a disgusted curl of his lip. “I'd rather be away from such a thing, and I already have a copy of my transcript.”

“There's a full translation into common in there too,” Stare said, eyes bright suddenly. “You might find more use of it.”

Nevin raised an eyebrow and spun the book around, gloved fingers dancing across the surface as he opened it up and glanced inside. The original words, still extant in the pages, sent shudders of revulsion down his spine, and he couldn't quite blame Vitruvion for wanting to be away from it. However there was something a bit strange in the man’s seeming rush to stop touching the Demonic artifact. Another note, filed away in Nevin’s mental lexicon.

The translated words though, those were… Interesting. There were rituals inscribed in the book, offerings to the Demonic benefactor for power, which Nevin already knew he would discard out of hand. There was also a small lexicon of some ritual ingredients that were more difficult to find, or to understand what they did. It was definitely a useful thing to have, and as he closed it back up Nevin nodded his thanks to Stare.

“There do seem to be some things in here that I might be able to use, ingredient descriptions and the like that are rarely seen. I'd have to read it through fully to be sure. At least this Cobalt-taken thing doesn't require a direct Demonic patron to use everything inside the pages. I do not intend on selling my soul - not when we saw what happened when the mage let slip one thing.” The demon had barely been present, or it hadn't been present anywhere but the mage’s mind. And yet it had still killed the mage with almost disgusting ease.

No, one of the first things Nevin would be finding would be a way of protecting himself from Demonic influences.

“Please don't sell your soul,” Stare replied, smiling in her eyes. “That wouldn't be … pleasant. Not with a demon. They're … demonic forces and possessions and they're magic is incredibly dark and powerful.” She paused, looking down at the book, then back up to him. “You're a better person than that I think.”

She took a moment to pause and then collate her thoughts right now. “I know that. I hope it can help you really. Are you close with your … quest?”

There was a light chink as Vitruvion took up his cup and drank the last of his tea in a steady gulp. The reminder that he was there, watching made Stare pause again and run a finger uneasily through her feathers at her arm.

Her confidence in his being a better person than someone who would sell his soul made something warm coil up in Nevin’s stomach, the sensation entirely pleasant, and a nice distraction from the ever present humming that the blood magic being practiced in this city was causing on his skin. Avis was, somewhat certainly at this point, a friend who did not care that his art was somewhat maligned.

And her concern was touching as well - her admonishment against Demonic contracts was gentle, nothing like the fiery diatribes against magic that had filled one of his childhoods. So when Vitruvion, apparently reminding her of his presence set his cup down a little more heavily than necessary, Nevin shot her a smile before schooling his face once more.

“I believe that I am. I have tracked them down to the slums, and Vitruvion himself confirms that in that direction is something particularly vile. I've no doubt that someone attached to that Crimson-accursed cult is hiding here. Finding them at this point will be a matter of leg work and dedication - and I don't intend to rest until they are dealt with. Just as you, no doubt, intend to deal with your own quarry.” As he spoke Nevin had nodded towards Vitruvion when he spoke the man’s name, and then inclined his head in the direction that the white haired man had pointed. A vicious, angry grin devoid of happiness had slipped into his lips as he finished speaking, though he let it fade into a neutral expression as he picked up his tea to finish the beverage.

Stare blinked a few times as she heard the darker notes. A grim feeling settled into her stomach with the knowledge that Vitruvion would like that part of Nevin, and be enraptured by it. However, that thought led to a lengthy silence before she could think of anything else to say.

“Right, if that is it,” Vitruvion sat up suddenly and poised with his cane between his knees. “I would say, my dear, that we will go now.” He offered Nevin a very brief smile before using the closest hand to Stare to nudge at her shoulder.

Barely did her shoulder shift and she turned her head to look right at him. “You're a dickhead.”

He smiled wonderfully back at her. “And you're a bitch. Now. Move.” The last word was clearly an order.

As he nudged her again she dragged in a breath before begrudgingly getting to her feet. “I guess, bye Nevin,” she said, looking back to the alchemist. “We'll … see each other soon. We're staying at the Radasanth Royal inn.”

Nevin stood up then, and wrapped her shoulders in a brief hug before stepping back and bowing to Vitruvion.

“Stare. I'll try to find you after I deal with my current ghost. Keep safe until then. Vitruvion…. It was an experience meeting you.” He gave his friend another parting smile before flipping his hood up onto his head and sliding into the crowd, melting out of sight as he resumed his hunt for the cultists.

There was silence between the pair. Then Vitruvion snorted in laughter. “An 'experience.’ Of course.” Then calmly he placed a hand on Stare's shoulder and encouraged her to turn the direction they were destined to head.
    Last edited by Philomel; 10-25-2017 at 08:32 PM.